BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 33

2014-01-13 12:30 PM
in reply to: MotherT

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Re-Opened, Come On In
Originally posted by MotherT

So I am not quite sure how this works. I choose you as a mentor? And I do so by replying? So here is the deal. I turn 49 on Feb 1. I used to be very fit and athletic. Now granted that was a long time ago. Like ages but I have not given up on the dream of getting back there. I have been reading the book by Jayne Williams, "Slow, Fat, Triathlete". Thus I want to start doing SOMETHING, ANYTHING...

That is the short version. I don't want to add to much yet in case I am off my rocker and this is not the right forum.

Thanks
Teresa

Come on in and joing the group. Congrats on maying the decision to get back to a more active and healthy you and thanks for letting us be a part of it with you. Also you are not off your rocker, not yet anyways but you will be once you get out and start going again. Remember that anything you do today (workout wise) is likely way more than you did yesterday. You can start out by just going for a walk each day, some jumping jacks, some crunches, a bike ride, a swim, just get moving again. Again welcome to the group.

2014-01-13 3:13 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Re-Opened, Come On In
Teresa,
Welcome to the group! I have read that book as I am old and slow LOL It is FANTASTIC and she is also from the same area I grew up in California. The book is fantastic!!!! You will find some real nice people here in the Turtle group!!

Darcie

Edited by Pixiedustlady 2014-01-13 3:14 PM
2014-01-13 3:27 PM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Subject: RE: Changing struggle to opportunities
Originally posted by 2gs

Hey All,

Thanks for posting your obstacles and achievements. It helps to know others are going through the same quagmire. My goals for this year(as a newbie) are to learn proper mechanics for the different sports and create a strong foundation to build upon.

Right now, I'm looking at my relationship with swimming. It's been struggle and that does not work for me. I joined a gym with a pool in November. After day one(I could barely survive a 50m) I started researching and found Total Immersion. Although the word effortless comes up with their style, I feel anything but that. I went to a weekend workshop last week. My mechanics are better, but there is still struggle. I think my main issue is that I feel i should be farther along than i am. This causes me to invalidate what I have achieved and look forwards with concern and worry. Not cool. I'm using the training peaks virtual coach for swim direction. My practice last night was supposed to total 1700. The warm up alone was 300m. In my head, i should be able to swim the 300 straight(which i didnt and got frustrated about). I guess what it comes down to is I am where I am and its further along than I've ever been. Going forward I would love to change the "struggle" into an opportunity to overcome  and I need to get that effortless comes with practice.

Thanks for listening

- Graham

Graham~
You and I are in the same boat. I am 43 and have never once been shown how to do a swim stroke. Sure I can float, dog paddle and tread but that's about it! The Tris I have entered I have been in a pool every single time and only done one open water swim which was SCARY. The pool is always shallow so you can say I float/side stroke down the lane and then when I get tired I stand up. When I had to do the open water lake swim I ALMOST panicked and swam back to the shore...thank god they had swim patrol in the water and kayaks near by that talked me *through* the swim. It didn't help that the chop was HIGH and it was super windy.... it was the longest 300 meter swim in the world... hated every single second of it. I unfortunately live in a area where there is NO Triathlon club/ no YMCA ect. About 75 minutes south of me is a very busy Tri community but the drive does not make it convenient to go train. No one gives swim lessons to adults in my area and I have called/emailed/bribed/pleaded/begged for the last two years and FINALLY TONIGHT I go for my first lesson in a series of five. It is all I could find but I feel it is better then the way I was going which was clueless. I also tried the videos you speak of. My hubby downloaded *Total Immersion* for us last year and I was just as you described.... NOT EFFORTLESS..... Your post made me feel so much better because my husband and everyone else SWEARS *Total Immersion* is the one and only thing that was going to help me swim. Good job sticking it out like you are doing! Just remember that you have to walk before you can run.... (or dog paddle before you can freestyle) Please keep us up to date on your progress! Best of luck with the virtual coaching.... I wish that would work for me...I need someone here to show me what to do or else I just cant seem to do it!!!
2014-01-13 3:32 PM
in reply to: AussieTurtle

User image

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Just completed my second week of training. Training was interrupted due to a slightg knee complaint. I find that rest is the best cure so I only completed a couple of training sesions.

Any thoughts on wether I should try and catch up on the sessions I missed or just continue with this week's training schedule as planned?

Highlight of the week was going to the Gatorade Triathlon at St Kilda Beach. Thiere was the Beginner , Sprint & Olympic races / distances. I hope to be able to compete in the Beginner race next season. It was very motivating watching the Beginner series, particularly the look of achievement & satisfaction as people crossed the finishing line. The main stand out was a triahlete with one leg and the effort he was making to complete the race.

It's going to be verfy hot this week so I'll be swimming at the beach each day if I can. We're expecting temperatures of 37 - 41 degrees Celsius. That's around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I plan to train early in the morning to beat the heat. Just goes to show the diversity in this group as Lovey encountered Black Ice while training.

Rod

Hi Aussie Turtle!
Love reading your post! We spent our three week honeymoon down in OZ! Traveled to Melbourne/Ayers Rock/Cairns and Sydney... LOVE your country! We were there in the OZ summer and it was super warm out! We live on the coast and usually get warm/humid weather but right now its been way colder then normal here in the US. How was your beach swim? I often volunteer at Iron Distance races and love to cheer people on and see the big smile at the end of the race as they cross the finish line! Very cool experience! Best of luck on your training.
2014-01-13 8:52 PM
in reply to: Hunting Triathlete

Silver member
Subject: RE: Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Open
To those interested in the group, please use the template below or something similar, to describe yourself. You don't have to post anything you're not comfortable with, but make sure we have enough to know who you are and what you want out of the group.

NAME: Lauryn

STORY: I'm 46 and an Extreme beginner! Just signed up for first baby tri (Girls Tri It On). Very excited to start the new year off with some fun and motivation to compete this year. I am currently in school working on a dissertation, running my own business and just relocated to the Nashville area so I've been somewhat sedentary for the last 8 months. I have some back issues and recovering from hip surgery for two tears in the left labrum but I'm ready to fight threw that, just don't want to hurt myself and not be able to keep moving forward. My great hubby just signed up for the Chattanooga tri and my 9 year old daughter signed up for the Nashville Kids tri all in June. Happy to have some support and tips to guide me.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 13 years with one awesomely precocious 9 year old daughter!

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started swimming, run/walk approx 3 miles 1-2 times per week.

2013 RACES: Franklin Classic, 5K 4 Kids Fort Lauderdale, CMA Rock Roll Kids Fun Run

2014 RACES: Zoo Run Run, Rock N Roll 5K, Girls Tri It On, Franklin Classic 5K

WEIGHTLOSS: Body fat reduction but not so much weight loss

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Peer support, group experience and guidance for motivation and education so that I feel more comfortable about what I'm getting myself into and don't back out! as well as to keep myself injury free.
2014-01-13 9:02 PM
in reply to: peytonashley

User image

Subject: Morning Workout!
I did it! Woke up this morning and worked out for 30 minutes! Woot woot!

2014-01-14 12:05 AM
in reply to: Pixiedustlady

User image

Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

Originally posted by AussieTurtle

Just completed my second week of training. Training was interrupted due to a slightg knee complaint. I find that rest is the best cure so I only completed a couple of training sesions.

Any thoughts on wether I should try and catch up on the sessions I missed or just continue with this week's training schedule as planned?

Highlight of the week was going to the Gatorade Triathlon at St Kilda Beach. Thiere was the Beginner , Sprint & Olympic races / distances. I hope to be able to compete in the Beginner race next season. It was very motivating watching the Beginner series, particularly the look of achievement & satisfaction as people crossed the finishing line. The main stand out was a triahlete with one leg and the effort he was making to complete the race.

It's going to be verfy hot this week so I'll be swimming at the beach each day if I can. We're expecting temperatures of 37 - 41 degrees Celsius. That's around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I plan to train early in the morning to beat the heat. Just goes to show the diversity in this group as Lovey encountered Black Ice while training.

Rod

Hi Aussie Turtle!
Love reading your post! We spent our three week honeymoon down in OZ! Traveled to Melbourne/Ayers Rock/Cairns and Sydney... LOVE your country! We were there in the OZ summer and it was super warm out! We live on the coast and usually get warm/humid weather but right now its been way colder then normal here in the US. How was your beach swim? I often volunteer at Iron Distance races and love to cheer people on and see the big smile at the end of the race as they cross the finish line! Very cool experience! Best of luck on your training.

Hi Pixiedustlady

I'm glad you enjoyed you honeymoon & holiday on OZ. You would have experienced the hot weather, particularly in Ayers Rock & Cairns. It's 43 C in Melbourne today (109 in F). I feel sorry for the tennis players in the Australian Open today.

The swim at the beach was very enjoyable and I'll head down to the beach after dinner tonight for another swim. I didn't count the swim in my training as it was mainly a lot of splashing about with friends. What I did notice though is that I wasn't swimming in a straight line. In the pool there are lanes to keep you going in the right direction so there's another thing to work on.

Aussie Turtle.
2014-01-14 4:59 AM
in reply to: Just_Kelly

User image

Gold Coast, Australia
Subject: RE: Morning Workout!

Originally posted by Just_Kelly I did it! Woke up this morning and worked out for 30 minutes! Woot woot!

Great work! I much prefer a morning workout, it sets you up nicely for the rest of the day .

2014-01-14 6:51 AM

User image

, New Jersey
Great work! And I agree with Taringa, mornings are the best but they take some getting used to.
2014-01-14 8:12 AM
in reply to: peytonashley

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by lasagil

NAME: Lauryn

STORY: I'm 46 and an Extreme beginner! Just signed up for first baby tri (Girls Tri It On). Very excited to start the new year off with some fun and motivation to compete this year. I am currently in school working on a dissertation, running my own business and just relocated to the Nashville area so I've been somewhat sedentary for the last 8 months. I have some back issues and recovering from hip surgery for two tears in the left labrum but I'm ready to fight threw that, just don't want to hurt myself and not be able to keep moving forward. My great hubby just signed up for the Chattanooga tri and my 9 year old daughter signed up for the Nashville Kids tri all in June. Happy to have some support and tips to guide me.

FAMILY STATUS: Married 13 years with one awesomely precocious 9 year old daughter!

CURRENT TRAINING: Just started swimming, run/walk approx 3 miles 1-2 times per week.

2013 RACES: Franklin Classic, 5K 4 Kids Fort Lauderdale, CMA Rock Roll Kids Fun Run

2014 RACES: Zoo Run Run, Rock N Roll 5K, Girls Tri It On, Franklin Classic 5K

WEIGHTLOSS: Body fat reduction but not so much weight loss

WHAT YOU WANT TO GET OUT OF THIS GROUP: Peer support, group experience and guidance for motivation and education so that I feel more comfortable about what I'm getting myself into and don't back out! as well as to keep myself injury free.

Welcome Lauryn to the Turtle Group. We are here for what you are looking for and maybe even some things your not. You have some history with running events so you know what you have to do. The biggest thing for you especially at the start is going to be staying healthy and not pushing yourself to hard to avoid injury. Again welcome
2014-01-14 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Just_Kelly

WOOT, WOOT, INDEED

I know for me and so many others the hardest thing to do is wake up that hour early to get in a workout. You know you can but it's so hard to do so when you know you could sleep for 45 more minutes. I have always found that I have more energy after a morning workout, which I was afraid would leave me spent for the day.

2014-01-14 8:17 AM
in reply to: #4915342

User image

Subject: Swimming
"However we take up swimming and can not believe that we are not swimming a mile plus in a few weeks."

Sums up a bunch of frustration there

Thank you and Taringa for the replies
2014-01-14 8:18 AM
in reply to: anttam11

User image

New user

Mornings hey, Well I've dropped the ball already and lost a workout day for no other reason than poor motivation. (kick up the arse...check). So tomorrow The alarm is set for 6am. I am making a late new years resolution. Be up at 6am everyday for a month and see if that helps. If I am tired I will go to bed earlier the next night. Change doesn't happen without actions. So that is my action. I looked at my before photo I took and I am certain that that man will not stand in my house again. He will melt away and transform into a triathlete. That is my goal. Now it is writing and published it is real. I need your help guys. I have a lot of external stressors happening in my life. You know what? A pizza or cheese burger didn't help.
So after a false start strap yourself in this is going to be quite a ride. I'm happy to take anyone along with me as mates or supporters or even curious onlookers. Be ready, I am competing against my own complacency and laziness. I have no intention of loosing.
Let the fun begin.

Michael

Help me keep in this frame of mind.
2014-01-14 8:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Dalgety Bay
Aloha all
I have been quite the last few days, just tired and quiet is all Thanks for the notes of support.
So quite a week it was. I dropped four pounds over the last 2 weeks. I was a little disappointed but I’m in no race so I should be very pleased as I dropped 2% fat and added muscle.

Did second week of core exercises. Have to say this third week is much much harder! Not sure why I thought it would get easier. I think it was a certain Mr Armstrong (Love him or hate him) said “It doesn't get easier, you just get faster”.

I am well into the walk/runs. Feeling a little like I am holding back. I want to start to run further now it seems not to be hurting my back any worse. But nice and easy does it. I went out on Sunday and walked for three and a half hours. Nearly did a half marathon. LOL. It nearly killed me but apart from feeling tired and a pain on the bridge of my left foot which is cleared today all was excellent.

What else? Mmmm... Well I find I am considering more things as possible now. By that I mean from thinking perhaps doing a sprint next year and ½ IM next again. I am now thinking (assuming I take it slow and no injuring myself) that I could very well be doing a Sprint this year. Maybe an Oly next spring and looking to ½ IM late next year!

Who knows? But for now, lets just this weeks training done and move on to the 5K for the end of March me thinks.
2014-01-14 9:05 AM
in reply to: Mikey73

User image

, New Jersey
WOW! That is an awesome attitude! In fact it is inspiring to me too! With that attitude you can’t lose. Looking forward to seeing the progress posts!!
2014-01-14 2:01 PM

User image

Originally posted by Just_Kelly

Good job Kelly!! Because of the disgusting humidity and heat that will be here VERY soon, I have learned to get up and get the workout over with in the morning when possible! Great job! Your done for the day!!

2014-01-14 7:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Mikey73

Mornings hey, Well I've dropped the ball already and lost a workout day for no other reason than poor motivation. (kick up the arse...check). So tomorrow The alarm is set for 6am. I am making a late new years resolution. Be up at 6am everyday for a month and see if that helps. If I am tired I will go to bed earlier the next night. Change doesn't happen without actions. So that is my action. I looked at my before photo I took and I am certain that that man will not stand in my house again. He will melt away and transform into a triathlete. That is my goal. Now it is writing and published it is real. I need your help guys. I have a lot of external stressors happening in my life. You know what? A pizza or cheese burger didn't help.
So after a false start strap yourself in this is going to be quite a ride. I'm happy to take anyone along with me as mates or supporters or even curious onlookers. Be ready, I am competing against my own complacency and laziness. I have no intention of loosing.
Let the fun begin.

Michael

Stop Yelling at me Michael Seriously though, missed workout days will happen, but you are correct in the fact that only you can make the change. If I haven't already said it in this group the hardest thing about this is developing a ROUTINE. When we as people are seditary we develope the routine of doing little to nothing and whatever whenever. It is not the easiest thing to chance that ROUTINE into I need to Run, Bike, Swim but once you start doing it, it will become your ROUTINE. I can tell you what helped me the most when I started. I told myself that I would do Something Every Day. I'm not speaking of long days every day because rest days are important. I made a habit of walking, stretching, doing push up, jumping jacks, weights, just did something if I could not swim, bike, run, or it was a scheduled rest day. It might have only been five minutes but I did something other then sit on my butt. Stick with it but remember this is for the long haul not a one and done.
2014-01-14 7:44 PM
in reply to: paul walker

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by paul walker

Aloha all
I have been quite the last few days, just tired and quiet is all Thanks for the notes of support.
So quite a week it was. I dropped four pounds over the last 2 weeks. I was a little disappointed but I’m in no race so I should be very pleased as I dropped 2% fat and added muscle.

Did second week of core exercises. Have to say this third week is much much harder! Not sure why I thought it would get easier. I think it was a certain Mr Armstrong (Love him or hate him) said “It doesn't get easier, you just get faster”.

I am well into the walk/runs. Feeling a little like I am holding back. I want to start to run further now it seems not to be hurting my back any worse. But nice and easy does it. I went out on Sunday and walked for three and a half hours. Nearly did a half marathon. LOL. It nearly killed me but apart from feeling tired and a pain on the bridge of my left foot which is cleared today all was excellent.

What else? Mmmm... Well I find I am considering more things as possible now. By that I mean from thinking perhaps doing a sprint next year and ½ IM next again. I am now thinking (assuming I take it slow and no injuring myself) that I could very well be doing a Sprint this year. Maybe an Oly next spring and looking to ½ IM late next year!

Who knows? But for now, lets just this weeks training done and move on to the 5K for the end of March me thinks.

Paul you most certainly can accomplish a sprint by the end of this year and do so safely. You really seem to have a good grasp on what it is going to take and what you need to monitor and do. Like you said work towards that 5K then re-evalutate where you are becuase after that you just have to add a swim and around 12 miles on the bike.
2014-01-15 8:59 AM

User image

Hey Pixie,

One thing I've learned(in life) is that we are all a microcosm. In groups, if you're going through something, its likely someone else is in a similar situation and as one overcomes and shares, it opens possibilities for others. On that note, I was able to do the 300 warm up straight  last night I gave up that it was a struggle. Also, instead of counting individual laps(25s) I would count every 50 as 1. Therefore counting to 6 became much less intimidating and challenging than counting 12.

2014-01-15 11:53 AM
in reply to: 2gs

User image

Originally posted by 2gs

Hey Pixie,

One thing I've learned(in life) is that we are all a microcosm. In groups, if you're going through something, its likely someone else is in a similar situation and as one overcomes and shares, it opens possibilities for others. On that note, I was able to do the 300 warm up straight  last night I gave up that it was a struggle. Also, instead of counting individual laps(25s) I would count every 50 as 1. Therefore counting to 6 became much less intimidating and challenging than counting 12.

Graham-

Way to go on your workout! That is fantastic! I agree with your post, it is always nice to share experiences and hear other stories AND VICTORIES! I had my own little swim breakthrough today I always count the laps just as you described, you are right it DOES make a difference! Keep up the awesome work!

Darcie
2014-01-15 12:22 PM

User image

Originally posted by Mikey73

Let the fun begin.

Michael

Michael-

My alarm went off at a 4:30 am due to me having to do what it's going to take to FINALLY get some swim help.....I just KNOW you got up at 6 am right? I loved your post! I agree with it all.... Got to get up and get moving.... YOU CAN DO THIS!!

NC Turtle Darcie

2014-01-15 2:19 PM

User image

Subject: Just call me Chlorine lady LOL
Hey Turtles from around the Globe!
I feel like I am talking to myself and I apologize for all of my posts, they are the one thing that KEEPS ME GOING! Reading all your posts, seeing everyone else workout makes me more accountable!! Ok so here is what I have been up to...... I have not been in the pool since December 2012. The year 2013 I did zero racing and hardly any working out because of work. I have the worlds most CRAZIEST JOB and with it comes with CRAZY HORRIBLE HOURS! I work for Motion picture/ Television and right now we are on a filming break till the end of May. When May gets here you will most likely see me around as much. I will be cheering everyone on but we work minimum 14 hour days and that leaves zero and I mean zero time to workout...trust me I have TRIED to find the time..... anyways I have what most people would call a lot of extra time right now to be online and post stuff on BT. I am actually just recovering also from being in the hospital and a injury. The area I live has ZERO Triathlon community, we have hardcore runners and hardcore bikers (that hate aero bars and think Triathletes cannot ride a bike because we don't draft) Ever since getting into the Triathlon world I knew right away I needed help BAD with my swimming. I grew up in California on the beach... basically body surfing and splashing about in the waves...hated putting my face in the water and I have never been taught how to do a stroke. The sprints I have entered I have gone pretty much last in the water, and they have all been in the pool except the one and only Open water swim I did.....was in a usually very calm and crystal clear lake...except the wind was whipping and the chop was CRAZY.... that's a entire other story to tell sometime :-) If it wouldn't of been for one sweet, super volunteer swimming stranger, I was heading back for the shore and ready to run HOME! The nearest open water swim facility is over an hour drive. I have a LONG way to go before I will ever feel comfortable doing a OWS again.... anyways..... for the last two years I have called/emailed/begged for some swimming help with no avail.

My husband is a great swimmer and he actually learned a lot by watching videos...I tried... I really did....I just couldn't BREATHE.... No one within a 70 mile radius teaches adults how to swim....I tried to just stick it out, usually work myself to death by running out of air while all the lifeguards and everyone around me sits and laughs at me.... no they don't...but that's what it feels like when you don't know anything. last week I called the base my husband works on and talked to the aquatics director. She had a few of her swim teachers that were willing to work with me. Monday night was my first time in the water in over a year.... the *teacher* was half my age and usually teaches toddlers to swim. She told me it was time to learn how to blow bubbles through my nose... not my mouth..... I didn't like it but I tried it....I was waiting for her to start showing me drills ect....she saw I could float so she immediately told me to start doing the freestyle.... all I could hear in my head was Terry Laughlin from *Total Immersion* my husband and everyone else RAVES over his videos, LOL anyways she picked out that I raise my head OUT of the water to get air... umm how else am I suppose to get any? The lessons are 30 minutes long, she has no structure because I am an adult and I can tell she does not know what to do with me. She taught me how to *streamline* and we talked briefly about kicking. When I have to put it all together it is a LOT to comprehend and before I knew it my lesson time was up.

I have a hardcore fear of drowning. Putting my face in the water scares me, I have nightmares about being *left* in a Triathlon out in the water with no help. The open water swim I did about gave me a heart attack. The wind was blowing on the water and chop was thrashing me right and left. I could hardly breathe and was flipping out because I couldn't touch the bottom and had nothing to hold on to if I got tired....water safety was a bunch of kids on Kayaks..I finally got one to stay next to me and it made me feel better.... these things go through my head when I search for Tris to do. I WANT to do the bigger ones and swim in the lake/ocean without flipping out. We have the beach 30 minutes away but it is full of jellyfish and bad riptides along with lots of jellyfish (I got stung last time we went to try and go for a swim.. forget it! lol)

Tuesday right before I went to my second lesson I was reading some BT articles about swimming. I stumbled on a website and suddenly a light bulb went off in my head about breathing..... *Mr. Smooth* is the swimming robot on the website and whoever invented him has possibly saved me. I arrived at my second lesson early and practiced what I had seen about Bilateral breathing and keeping one goggle in the water. The swim teacher FLIPPED OUT and couldn't believe the transformation from the night before. It felt good to have made a tiny bit of progress! I came home last night very happy! Two weeks ago I broke down and contacted the nearest Tri Coaching and booked the swim Coach. I hated knowing I would have to get up at 4:30 am and drive 70 miles....and it was NOT going to be cheap... did I really want to do all of this?? She had me order a swimming snorkel and a set of flippers..... wth??? why??

This morning at 4:30 am I got up, looked at my Chlorine red eyes, grabbed my gear and took off for my first *real* swim coaching. I drove over an hour and arrived at the pool. I went in and we got started by me getting in the pool and showing her what I can do... only 25 meter pool and I cant do much for laps yet. I want to say it was the BEST experience and worth every single penny! I also got video of me for my own files and all her feedback and what I need to work on. I had about 100 gallons of water go up my nose and down my throat. Those flippers are a fantastic way to learn to BALANCE! I only wish they were legal to swim with in a race lol. The snorkel let me go all the way down the pool and all the way back without dying. I feel they are good training tools and I will only use them until I get stronger in the water. We worked on TONS of kicking/balance drills...my body is very very very very tired right now! If I can just make myself RELAX I swim sooo much easier! I still have to go swimming tonight for the week course I signed up for on base. It was only a five day program and it ends on Friday. This is the most excited I have been about swimming and I just wanted to share it with all my fellow Turtles out there!!! Hope you are all having a great week Tri Turtles!!!

NC Turtle Darcie
2014-01-15 9:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Just call me Chlorine lady LOL

Originally posted by Pixiedustlady

Hey Turtles from around the Globe!
I feel like I am talking to myself and I apologize for all of my posts, they are the one thing that KEEPS ME GOING! Reading all your posts, seeing everyone else workout makes me more accountable!! Ok so here is what I have been up to...... I have not been in the pool since December 2012. The year 2013 I did zero racing and hardly any working out because of work. I have the worlds most CRAZIEST JOB and with it comes with CRAZY HORRIBLE HOURS! I work for Motion picture/ Television and right now we are on a filming break till the end of May. When May gets here you will most likely see me around as much. I will be cheering everyone on but we work minimum 14 hour days and that leaves zero and I mean zero time to workout...trust me I have TRIED to find the time..... anyways I have what most people would call a lot of extra time right now to be online and post stuff on BT. I am actually just recovering also from being in the hospital and a injury. The area I live has ZERO Triathlon community, we have hardcore runners and hardcore bikers (that hate aero bars and think Triathletes cannot ride a bike because we don't draft) Ever since getting into the Triathlon world I knew right away I needed help BAD with my swimming. I grew up in California on the beach... basically body surfing and splashing about in the waves...hated putting my face in the water and I have never been taught how to do a stroke. The sprints I have entered I have gone pretty much last in the water, and they have all been in the pool except the one and only Open water swim I did.....was in a usually very calm and crystal clear lake...except the wind was whipping and the chop was CRAZY.... that's a entire other story to tell sometime :-) If it wouldn't of been for one sweet, super volunteer swimming stranger, I was heading back for the shore and ready to run HOME! The nearest open water swim facility is over an hour drive. I have a LONG way to go before I will ever feel comfortable doing a OWS again.... anyways..... for the last two years I have called/emailed/begged for some swimming help with no avail.

My husband is a great swimmer and he actually learned a lot by watching videos...I tried... I really did....I just couldn't BREATHE.... No one within a 70 mile radius teaches adults how to swim....I tried to just stick it out, usually work myself to death by running out of air while all the lifeguards and everyone around me sits and laughs at me.... no they don't...but that's what it feels like when you don't know anything. last week I called the base my husband works on and talked to the aquatics director. She had a few of her swim teachers that were willing to work with me. Monday night was my first time in the water in over a year.... the *teacher* was half my age and usually teaches toddlers to swim. She told me it was time to learn how to blow bubbles through my nose... not my mouth..... I didn't like it but I tried it....I was waiting for her to start showing me drills ect....she saw I could float so she immediately told me to start doing the freestyle.... all I could hear in my head was Terry Laughlin from *Total Immersion* my husband and everyone else RAVES over his videos, LOL anyways she picked out that I raise my head OUT of the water to get air... umm how else am I suppose to get any? The lessons are 30 minutes long, she has no structure because I am an adult and I can tell she does not know what to do with me. She taught me how to *streamline* and we talked briefly about kicking. When I have to put it all together it is a LOT to comprehend and before I knew it my lesson time was up.

I have a hardcore fear of drowning. Putting my face in the water scares me, I have nightmares about being *left* in a Triathlon out in the water with no help. The open water swim I did about gave me a heart attack. The wind was blowing on the water and chop was thrashing me right and left. I could hardly breathe and was flipping out because I couldn't touch the bottom and had nothing to hold on to if I got tired....water safety was a bunch of kids on Kayaks..I finally got one to stay next to me and it made me feel better.... these things go through my head when I search for Tris to do. I WANT to do the bigger ones and swim in the lake/ocean without flipping out. We have the beach 30 minutes away but it is full of jellyfish and bad riptides along with lots of jellyfish (I got stung last time we went to try and go for a swim.. forget it! lol)

Tuesday right before I went to my second lesson I was reading some BT articles about swimming. I stumbled on a website and suddenly a light bulb went off in my head about breathing..... *Mr. Smooth* is the swimming robot on the website and whoever invented him has possibly saved me. I arrived at my second lesson early and practiced what I had seen about Bilateral breathing and keeping one goggle in the water. The swim teacher FLIPPED OUT and couldn't believe the transformation from the night before. It felt good to have made a tiny bit of progress! I came home last night very happy! Two weeks ago I broke down and contacted the nearest Tri Coaching and booked the swim Coach. I hated knowing I would have to get up at 4:30 am and drive 70 miles....and it was NOT going to be cheap... did I really want to do all of this?? She had me order a swimming snorkel and a set of flippers..... wth??? why??

This morning at 4:30 am I got up, looked at my Chlorine red eyes, grabbed my gear and took off for my first *real* swim coaching. I drove over an hour and arrived at the pool. I went in and we got started by me getting in the pool and showing her what I can do... only 25 meter pool and I cant do much for laps yet. I want to say it was the BEST experience and worth every single penny! I also got video of me for my own files and all her feedback and what I need to work on. I had about 100 gallons of water go up my nose and down my throat. Those flippers are a fantastic way to learn to BALANCE! I only wish they were legal to swim with in a race lol. The snorkel let me go all the way down the pool and all the way back without dying. I feel they are good training tools and I will only use them until I get stronger in the water. We worked on TONS of kicking/balance drills...my body is very very very very tired right now! If I can just make myself RELAX I swim sooo much easier! I still have to go swimming tonight for the week course I signed up for on base. It was only a five day program and it ends on Friday. This is the most excited I have been about swimming and I just wanted to share it with all my fellow Turtles out there!!! Hope you are all having a great week Tri Turtles!!!

NC Turtle Darcie

Darcie, this was absolutely awesome to read and what this Turtle Group is all about. First off, never apologize in this group for posting, you post as much and as often as you like. Some might not have the ablility to post as often as you, but when they have a minute to read a story like this one it may just push them out the door to swim, bike, or run that day. I admire your drive and will to conquer your fear of swim and doing so while getting instruction to swim properly. Don't be embarassed or apologize either for the snorkel, if it helps you perfect your stroke and feel more comfortable while you learn, then it's great. If it was that evil of a thing they would not allow people to wear them in Tri's (They do not violate USAT rules). You are correct in your belief though that your anxiety and tension in the water is a big reason for your muscle fatigue. When we're tight it's like we're using those muscles when you're not. Once again loved the story, keep um coming, and thanks for being a Turtle.
2014-01-16 3:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: ---
Rescued from the Second Page again
2014-01-16 6:11 PM

User image

Subject: RE: ---
Managed my first 400m swim non-stop this morning in 18mths! I almost took a breather at the 200m mark cause my forarms were sore (what is up with that!?) but pushed on and the soreness dissapated and i managed to finish in 13mins.

I tentatively have a mini-tri pencilled in for next weekend but i havent been able to run 2km without a rest yet so I may hold off until the next tri.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 33

RELATED POSTS

Daffodil and JuniperJen’s New Parents Tri’ing Group - OPEN Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14

Started by juniperjen
Views: 24943 Posts: 329

2014-07-12 2:16 PM Happyinmarin

Shane's (gsmacleod) Coaching Mentor Group - Open Pages: 1 ... 2 3 4 5

Started by gsmacleod
Views: 16474 Posts: 116

2014-05-14 7:37 AM Dominion

Birkierunner's (Jim Kelley) General + Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 30260 Posts: 415

2014-05-16 9:06 AM Birkierunner

Triguys Tri Team (all levels welcome) - CLOSED SORRY Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by triguy1043
Views: 19204 Posts: 190

2014-04-02 11:34 AM lsousa

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 29, 2013
author : jtriathlete
comments : 0
I'm curious about the 'don't increase your run by more than 10% per week' rule. Is there a minimum mileage under which this doesn't apply?

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : March 6, 2008
author : scubachic9999
comments : 4
Already a cyclist and not a bad swimmer, I figured all I had to do was build up to running a few miles and I’d be ready to go. The challenge invigorated me, and I ran out to buy new running shoes.

date : June 5, 2006
author : mikericci
How should I go about training for the marathon while also building base in the other two events? Doing this seems like it's causing me to break the 10% rule in running.
date : October 2, 2005
author : DominiqueL
Yes, the Dual is a little heavier than Cervèlo’s high end counterparts. But…the price is within reach of the masses and it still incorporates all of the design features that make a Cervèlo special.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.