BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2014-01-26 10:19 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - OPEN
Originally posted by Jynxy

Who can guess what happened on my bike ride today?

DAN !!

Ooh, ooh! I'll play.

Flat tire - or tyre.

Do i win?

So, Dan doesn't jinx himself - he just passed it along to someone else.

We all have it happen. Learning and practicing how to fix a flat is an important skill. Having the right gear along for a ride is also important, especially for the long rides. CO2 cartridges and inflation tools are critical. Having a spare tube and a flat patch kit as well (in case you end up with two flats on one ride - it happens!).

Come to think of it - I probably need to do a session of tire changes and repair practice.

Thom

2014-01-26 10:21 AM

DAN !!

I hope nothing bad so I'm going for a smash of a PB :-)
2014-01-26 10:25 AM
in reply to: sundevil87

Subject: RE: We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed
I could do with a bit of general advice about training density . I did HITT and a swim Friday, took yesterday off and then today pushed my long run from 7.5 miles a week ago to 8.4 miles cross country today. My calfs feels shagged out and I started to bonk towards the end. I want to go on a bike ride later. Am I going to be using sufficiently different muscles to allow me to do this ? It is just that Sunday evening is an ideal time to get 40 or 50 minute session in.
Thanks in advance
Dave
2014-01-26 10:30 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by sundevil87

DAN !!

Ooh, ooh! I'll play.

Flat tire - or tyre.

Do i win?

So, Dan doesn't jinx himself - he just passed it along to someone else.

We all have it happen. Learning and practicing how to fix a flat is an important skill. Having the right gear along for a ride is also important, especially for the long rides. CO2 cartridges and inflation tools are critical. Having a spare tube and a flat patch kit as well (in case you end up with two flats on one ride - it happens!).

Come to think of it - I probably need to do a session of tire changes and repair practice.

Thom

yes, I was 2 miles from home and could of very easy called the misses to pic me up but I decided that I may have to do it during a race so I replaced my inner tube. took me 15 minutes and I carried on after.

I must say that it was gusting 40 mph and raining so my resolve was well tested but I am in a different state of mind now days

I do have all the kit for repairs as well and was very tempted to use my nice CO2 cartridge
2014-01-26 11:23 AM
in reply to: Lmoncada

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar
Originally posted by Lmoncada

Hi Armando

When you mentioned netflix, did you mean for fun or for training? If for training let me know which videos in particular in order to look for them

This is beginning to shape like a very interesting and diverse group, between the newbies (like me) and the veterans, I am sure will help me keep motivated. Some very interesting life stories as well!

I won't speak for Armondo, but I use Netflix in conjunction with Trainer Road, you can have a video playing for entertainment and then the Trainer Road app running at the bottom of the screen. Anything to pass the time when you're on the trainer, it's just not as enjoyable as being outside on the road!

Sorry Jynxy for passing along the bad JuJu on the flat tire, hopefully it doesn't hit anyone else!
2014-01-26 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Kennebunkport, Qatar

yes, I was 2 miles from home and could of very easy called the misses to pic me up but I decided that I may have to do it during a race so I replaced my inner tube. took me 15 minutes and I carried on after.

I must say that it was gusting 40 mph and raining so my resolve was well tested but I am in a different state of mind now days

I do have all the kit for repairs as well and was very tempted to use my nice CO2 cartridge

Wow what a great resolve! Yes it would be easy to just call for a ride, but we won't get to where we want to be going the easy route now will we!
Part of the motivation for me to run when the weather is really nasty is knowing that so few will make that decision, of course most of the reason why is because I need all the help I can get and can't miss any workouts!
one more day in the nice weather, headed back to Sausalito Ca for a day and then back to the snowy Northeast!

2014-01-26 11:59 AM
in reply to: Mountaindan

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Originally posted by Mountaindan

Originally posted by Lmoncada

Hi Armando

When you mentioned netflix, did you mean for fun or for training? If for training let me know which videos in particular in order to look for them

This is beginning to shape like a very interesting and diverse group, between the newbies (like me) and the veterans, I am sure will help me keep motivated. Some very interesting life stories as well!

I won't speak for Armondo, but I use Netflix in conjunction with Trainer Road, you can have a video playing for entertainment and then the Trainer Road app running at the bottom of the screen. Anything to pass the time when you're on the trainer, it's just not as enjoyable as being outside on the road!

Sorry Jynxy for passing along the bad JuJu on the flat tire, hopefully it doesn't hit anyone else!

I play a video as well when doing some rides with TrainerRoad. Sometimes I watch TV - football games on long rides. Other times I watch the TrainerRoad screen, especially if I need to follow specific instructions.

Thom
2014-01-26 1:22 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England

I play a video as well when doing some rides with TrainerRoad. Sometimes I watch TV - football games on long rides. Other times I watch the TrainerRoad screen, especially if I need to follow specific instructions.

Thom

sounds exhilarating a Trainer Road Screen. I can just picture a pixelated road slowly rolling on.
2014-01-26 2:51 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Pretty good week this week. Completed most of my planned training. Was short on my swims and strength training. It is a matter of discipline. I have to get myself up and going early otherwise it is not likely I can do two workouts a day. Never have been a morning person - never will be. It takes great effort for me to do an early morning workout. If I am to have the kind of season I'd like and if I am going to reach the goals I've set for myself - it will require overcoming the little voice that says "stay in bed, you can do the workout later." Later seems to not come because the other voice at the end of the day says "man, I'm tired, let's not workout tonight, we can just get up early and do the workout." It is a vicious battle no doubt.
2014-01-26 3:00 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
Came across an interesting product today (actually, an advertisment I rec'd on FB). It is called Swim IT. Few would argue that the most dangerous event in triathlon and the one that causes the most anxiety is the swim. People have died during the swim. Unlike the bike or the run where if you are in trouble you can stop. In swimming, if you get in trouble it is possible for bad things to come.

Well, where there is a need, somebody comes in and fills the void. The Swim IT is a swim safety device that is apparently USAT and WTC approved.

Here is the link: http://www.myswimit.com/

Like I said, it is the first I've seen of this product. I'll be doing some research to see what people are saying. If you have experience with it let us know.

Thom
2014-01-26 5:54 PM

User image

Subject: Muscle soreness in upper back/shoulders
I used to swim competitively, but I took a hiatus from it for awhile. I've really picked it up again since deciding to do a tri, building my yardage gradually since December. During my workouts, I usually stick to freestyle (with bilateral breathing), and will occasionally do a little backstroke or breaststroke if I want a break.

Only recently have I found myself experiencing some soreness and stiffness in my upper back, neck and shoulders. I felt fine after yesterday's swim, but upon waking up this morning I was miserable. Even now, I can barely turn my head from side to side because of stiffness.

This doesn't happen every time I swim, which makes me think it probably isn't a form issue. Also, I always cool down for 150-200 yards and stretch after my swims, so I'm not sure its from that either.

Ultimately, I'm looking to see if anybody has any suggestions for how the heck to avoid this. Are there any additional stretches I might try or other things I could do? I'd welcome any advice. Thanks!

2014-01-26 5:54 PM
in reply to: MamacitaT

Simsbury, CT

Hey Armondo - Only 2 Oreos?

Hi Tara - Only 2 indeed.   I guess my days of overindulging are over.  2 of everything seems to be the norm - Beer, wine, etc.   

2014-01-26 5:55 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Subject: ---
Sorry! Duplicate post...

Edited by WayWay 2014-01-26 6:00 PM
2014-01-26 6:08 PM
in reply to: Lmoncada

Simsbury, CT

Originally posted by Lmoncada Hi Armando When you mentioned netflix, did you mean for fun or for training!

For fun.  I have a few videos from Spinnervals, RealRides and recently picked up some from Sufferfest.   I prefer those that you can integrate with Trainerroad- RealRides and Sufferfest. Sometimes I don't want to be listening to music so I will just open up netflix to watch some show and leave trainerroad open at the bottom of the screen. This is how, last Winter, I caught up with all episodes of Breaking Bad.    The nice thing about the bike training videos however, is that you get additional training instructions on the screen. 

Armando

2014-01-26 6:14 PM

Simsbury, CT

Originally posted by Jynxy Who can guess what happened on my bike ride today? DAN !!
Ooh, ooh! I'll play. Flat tire - or tyre. Do i win? So, Dan doesn't jinx himself - he just passed it along to someone else. We all have it happen. Learning and practicing how to fix a flat is an important skill.

Agree with Thom's advice here. On my tri bike I carry 2 CO2 cartridges, spare tube, patches (make sure you have glue and is not dry!) and a mini pump.  When I first got the CO2 regulator, I practiced at home.  This was good because I was not aware that the cartridge itself gets very cold, hence some of them come with a rubber sleeve.  And, because they get so cold, the 2 i tried actually froze onto the stem which required a bit of torque to remove the regulator.  Definitely practice at home if you have not had to change a tire before. 

Armando

2014-01-26 6:17 PM
in reply to: davert123

Originally posted by davert123

I could do with a bit of general advice about training density . I did HITT and a swim Friday, took yesterday off and then today pushed my long run from 7.5 miles a week ago to 8.4 miles cross country today. My calfs feels shagged out and I started to bonk towards the end. I want to go on a bike ride later. Am I going to be using sufficiently different muscles to allow me to do this ? It is just that Sunday evening is an ideal time to get 40 or 50 minute session in.
Thanks in advance
Dave

Decided to go for it. Ended up doing a 3 miler on the bike to see some friends and then a 7 miler back. I can hardly move now lol. It was so cold, I need to get some better shoes. I'm using running shoes and they are definitely not good enough for riding a bike while it is snowing lol. Feel good for doing it. I'm guessing so far my goal speed for my sprint in April are

Swim 10:00 (Currently 10:38)
Bike 40:00 (currently best time is 7 miles in 27)
Run 30:00 (Currently best time is 3 in 30 (1 month ago) and 2.5 in 24 (last week)

Guess I'm looking at 1:25 for the event if I can shift my though the transitions and not pick up penalties for not knowing what I need to do :-)

Its good to gave some concrete targets to aim at.

2014-01-26 6:21 PM

Simsbury, CT

Originally posted by sundevil87 Pretty good week this week. Completed most of my planned training. Was short on my swims and strength training. It is a matter of discipline.

I see that most of you are mixing in all 3 disciplines already.  I still have 2 weeks of biking only.  This week will be interesting as I signed up for the Tour of Sufferlandria on Trainerroad.   What is this you might ask?  

"The Tour of Sufferlandria is a very fun virtual cycling challenge. It was started by TheSufferFest.com and features nine days of intense workouts.

Riders who register for The Tour on TrainerRoad will have specific time windows* in which to complete each workout. "

Today I completed day 2 and it was almost a 2 hr ride.  My legs are a bit sore right now but I am looking forward to the challenge.  7 days to go!

Armando

2014-01-26 6:23 PM

Simsbury, CT

Originally posted by sundevil87 Came across an interesting product today (actually, an advertisment I rec'd on FB). It is called Swim IT.

I have seen this product at one of my LBS.   Seems to make sense, specially if you swim alone which I do not recommend.   probably worth it but I have not considered it for myself yet. 

Armando

2014-01-26 6:34 PM

Simsbury, CT

Its good to gave some concrete targets to aim at.

I agree, concrete targets is how I like to plan my goals as well.   I am not a great swimmer but I have proven to myself that I can do the distance.  I know I can do an OK Marathon and so will be spending time working on speed drills.  However, this year is all about the bike for me. I would love to be able to ride at 18mph while in heart rate zone 2.  that is a lofty goal but need something to shoot at.  

armando

2014-01-26 6:41 PM
in reply to: WayWay

Simsbury, CT
Subject: RE: Muscle soreness in upper back/shoulders

Ultimately, I'm looking to see if anybody has any suggestions for how the heck to avoid this. Are there any additional stretches I might try or other things I could do? I'd welcome any advice. Thanks!

Megan, 

I don't have a specific answer for you.  However, I have a book you might want to explore - Triathlon Anatomy.  Not only does it highlight the different muscles used in different activities it also suggest exercises to strengthen them.  

Armando

2014-01-26 6:53 PM
in reply to: #4917318

@megan. I have the same problem..well a very stiff neck. there are stretches I do which help alot. I simply turn my head very slowly side to side until it don't go any more and then use a very slight pressure with my hand on my chin turn it very slightly more this causes me no discomfort while turning but can nip me when u turn bqck . I do this a few times then I do the same up and down and from side to side. it has really helped me and I now have more mobility in my neck. good luck

2014-01-26 6:54 PM

User image

Wow everyone's had eventful weekends!

Oiy a flat! Way to go to fix it J!

Is there any sort of online class for doing bike maintanence? Locally it seems everything is sort of shut down for winter. WABA (Washington Area Bicycling Association or something like that) was highly recommended to me for their great courses but all the sites say "coming in Spring". Waaa!

Good workout's today. This week was my 25% reduction week for running so a shorter long run today (6.4 miles) but I went to the pool in the afternoon and swam. My friend has a group and they have a coach there. Several of the folks have done tri's. Frankly though none of them are very friendly..however that might be because I am a complete newb not demonstrating any swimming skills and they are working out. Not sure about the coach. She seems bothered that I am there - and really I'm not there to be coached by her. My friend just thought it would be good for me to see how it all works (though she does not do tri's). It has been very interesting but it hasn't left me with any desire to seek out this group. I'm not close to their league and I think I'd be much more comfortable with others who are at my level or maybe slightly above/below. I am going to talk to her via email to get an idea of what her coaching would cost and time frame and all that.

I wish I had a suggestion for the sore upper body from swimming issue. I use the roller and the stick all the time..but mostly lower. No idea if it would work upper body. I usually do a lot of ice though and that seems to help a ton.

2014-01-26 6:55 PM
in reply to: Armandova

User image

Subject: RE: Muscle soreness in upper back/shoulders
Originally posted by Armandova

Megan, 

I don't have a specific answer for you.  However, I have a book you might want to explore - Triathlon Anatomy.  Not only does it highlight the different muscles used in different activities it also suggest exercises to strengthen them.  

Armando

I saw that book. I just put it on my must buy list for payday. Thanks for the rec and Megan I hope you feel better!
2014-01-26 7:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Monument, Colorado
There have been a couple of posts about sore necks and not being able to turn your head. It came on suddenly, after the workout, or maybe after sleeping wrong the night before.

I have seen this quite a bit. It happens to me all too often. The problem is not in your neck. It is emanating from trigger points located on your back - in your trapezius to be specific,along the edge of your shoulder blades. Usually right along side the scapula anywhere from the top to the bottom. Usually though, they are near the middle to the bottom. Once you relieve those your problem will magically go away.

The way I work mine is with a lacrosse ball on a sock. I lay the ball over my shoulder and lean up against the wall. I roll my back over the ball until I find a spot that really hurts. I mean - really hurts. Then I press in harder. Breath hard through the pain. Usually you'll feel a spot pain but also a referred pain up the neck. Alternatively you can have your spouse, friend, dominatrix or some other person that might delight in your pain work it for you. You will know when they find it. They can use their thumb, elbow, knuckle etc. to locate the TP and press on that bad boy.

I believe in, use, evangelize etc. etc. the following book: The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, it can be picked up at Amazon for $18 paper back or 10 bucks kindle. If you don't already own it - I highly recommend it be part of your library.

If you're having pain today - for about 10 bucks you can get the kindle version and be working on a solution tonight,

Have fun - it hurts like the dickens. But it works, I promise. (legal disclaimer, that is of course you are suffering from what I've just described )
2014-01-26 8:16 PM

User image

Megan, 

Armando

I'll have to check that out! Thanks for the tip Armando

Originally posted by davert123
@megan. I have the same problem..well a very stiff neck. there are stretches I do which help alot. I simply turn my head very slowly side to side until it don't go any more and then use a very slight pressure with my hand on my chin turn it very slightly more this causes me no discomfort while turning but can nip me when u turn bqck . I do this a few times then I do the same up and down and from side to side. it has really helped me and I now have more mobility in my neck. good luck

Sorry it happens to you too! Today was worse than normal. If I find anything else out, I'll let you know.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » We Don't Just Tri - We Do (Season 2) - Closed Rss Feed  

of 15

RELATED POSTS

Clyde/Athena Tri-N-4- Weight Loss Mentor Group -OPEN AGAIN!! Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Fechter99
Views: 55519 Posts: 1444

2015-08-04 12:43 AM Go4gidget

Todd's Tri Turtles 2 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10 K) - Closed Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 37522 Posts: 803

2014-05-18 8:03 AM Hunting Triathlete
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2011
author : fivecents
comments : 5
What my first sprint distance triathlon taught me about myself.

date : April 22, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 0
Find out which sports nutrition practices effectively enhance performance. What and when you eat powerfully impacts how well you can perform.
date : December 15, 2008
author : FitWerx
I own both a road bike and a tri bike. I am wondering which bike I should be riding during off season training, or does it matter?

date : October 11, 2007
author : Ron
Training program for the minority triathlete wanting to put on some extra muscle mass to get buff for next years triathlon season.
date : August 17, 2007
author : scoli121
comments : 6
I quickly browsed an article in Men's Health that talked about doing a triathlon, and how it wasn't really that hard. With a "tsk!" I quickly turned the page while thinking, "Yeah, right!"

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
The off-season is the best time to fine tune your skills and prepare yourself for the next season. It is also time for you to gain some strength and get a little rest after a long season of training.
date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!

date : September 2, 2004
author : Michael
If you develop a strategy for the off-season, you can go into the next season stronger than you ended the past season.