BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2014-01-25 4:41 PM
in reply to: Tridimi

User image

Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED)
Originally posted by Tridimi

I don't know how you all feel about it but when you have a training plan in your mind at the beginning of the week and everything starts to fall apart, I sometimes have problems to get back up and get motivated. And I have a very rational mind also. And it says, monday is a new week, so forget about your plans, start again on Monday :-/. Something new can never start in the middle of the week! Thats blasphemy in my mind

PS I'm not crazy. I just hear little voices in my head.

I do get that. How about thinking about it as finishing up the week, rather than starting something new- trick your brain with a little twist? Alternatively, the week starts on a Sunday, not Monday.

It doesn't usually trick my brain, but you've already admitted to hearing voices so...

2014-01-25 4:50 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, West-Vlaanderen
Subject: RE: McFuzz's New Athlete Group (OPEN)

@Joe,

I reread the forum to see your bio because I just couldn't remember everyones bio and I have seen you had some questions that weren't really answered. Because I feel like we are a bit the same (height and weight) and our running times are close to each other, I really watch at your progress and it motivates me a bit to keep going. I really like your weightloss album and plan on maybe doing the same. So, here are my comments on some things i saw in your bio.

I am at the moment running around 8.45 - 9 min miles, I am looking to get this down to hopefully as close to 7 min miles as possible I was training for a marathon during the summer so I feel I have a good base for this.

I now run at more or less the same pace as you. A bit slower maybe. My goal is to get as close to or lower then 8m/mile. But maybe we should both go out there and try to nail that 7m/mile monster :D

If i calculate this correctmy bike time however I am currently going at 3.45 min miles but my heart rate is around 150 - 160 bpm I am new to the art of road racing so unsure about how quick I can get but I am aiming for anything under 3min miles if that is possible.

One thing I do have (some) experience with, is road bike. I've been doing this for some years now and did some nice TT with nice results as an amateur with no specific training towards it. The speed you are aiming at, is under a lot of influence from the terrain you are riding on and the wind. With no wind at all and a nice flat surface, I'm pretty sure I could nail down a 2:45m/mile over a distance of 27 miles (My OD distance this year) However, the track of the OD I want to do is everything but flat so nailing 3:15m/mile would make me a very happy man. 

And next to the terrain, you ask about your heart rate and how quick you can go. Well, if you haven't googled it a bit or got some advice here on the forum, you should know about heart rate and heart rate zones. One of the most important things to understand, is that there is a certain point when you shift from aerobic to anaerobic exercise. Basically this means your muscles need more oxygen then you can provide and your muscles starts producing lactic acid. Theory says that at this turning point, you should be able to do your effort for one hour before getting all cramped up. Now why is this important you may ask? It means that, if you know this point very well, and if you jump on your bike (after a nice warm-up) you can start pedaling and keep your heart rate at this point for one hour. In theory, this should be the maximum speed you can deliver in your curren state. This turning point can NOT be trained. Its something that you are born with. You CAN train your muscles better so they perform better with less oxygen thus giving you more power when having higher heart rate.

Okay, so this is all a very basic description and you may wonder why I put this down. Well, if you say you have this pace with 150-160BPM and ask if you can go faster, it mostly depends on how long you want to ride your bike and where your turning point is. (turning point probably has a nicer English word, i'm just using a basic translation of the Dutch word here).

You can find this point in two ways. One is the scietific way and will cost you money as you need to go to a sportlab where they will put you to the test. The other way is the DIY way (or bike for a couple of years and learn to interpret your data afterwards but you don't have this data yet).

First way is easy: Find yourself a sportslab, book a session and just do what they ask you to do. In addition, they normally will give you your max HR and your heart rate zones too. (surprisingly, your max HR will NOT be as accurate as it should be but i'll explain this later on)

Second way is first to find yourself a route where you can easily bike for 20 to 30 minutes without having to stop for traffic lights, cars, etc. Once you have this, do a little yet not very hard warm-up. This is purely to prevent injuries and to have the muscles a bit warmed up. After that, start pedaling at what you presume is about 80% of what you can do, look at your heart rate and try to keep this for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, raise your heart rate with anoither 5 beats. Keep this up for 5 minutes. Just repeat this untill you hit a block where you have to grind your teeth just to keep up this pace. You have erratic breathing, your legs hurt, you feel like utter crap. Yes,  just keep this up ;) If you manage to do this for 5 minutes (you really should try to do this for 5 minutes). Try to remember the heart rate you tried to keep. Do this minus 8 and you should have more or less your turning point. Keep in mind that your turning point for running is about 5 BPM higher.

This is important as it means that the higher you go above this heart rate while biking, the faster your muscles will take in the lactate acid and will cramp. So this can be very handy to know. Keep in mind this method will nog guarantee you 100% right number. And even if its correct, sickness, tiredness etc. can change this number -3 to +3 on any given day.

If you have this turning point, you can also start trying to discover your heart rate zones. This can be important if you want to train with heart rate zones (duh). To get started with this, you have to know and use the Karvonen formula.(calculte it here: http://www.ottawarun.com/heartrate.htm) Keep in mind the old 220 - your age is soooooooo wrong. For instance, i'm 31 but my maxHR is about 199. 10 years ago it was 203. So it dropped 4 in 10 years time. To determine your max, you need a set of fresh legs. The easy thing with this is, you can do it either with biking or running. It should give you the same result. I'll explain both ways:

Running: do a warming-up, then run a mile in a good strong pace but not at full speed, about 80-ish%. Then run a a minute or two at a normal pace and then sprint for about 400-500 yards. You should almost drop dead at the end and your stomach contents should try to get out the wrong way. Then you know you have done it well. (sarcastic grin)  Now hook up your sportswatch to your PC and watch for your highest HR and there you have it. Easy :D (well, except those 400-500 yards)

Biking: take your bike, find yourself a nice steep hill, approx 200-300 yards long with a nice grade. By the time you get to the base, I assume you are a bit warmed up. Now go conquer that hill as fast as you can. Again, same conditions like the running method. ;-) Come down the hill and do it again. The downside of this method, is that you probably will have to ride a few miles back home (unless you live next to the hillside) and that can really suck. But when you get home, hook up that watch and ta-da.

Now the reason why this is more accurate then during a lactate test (to determine your turning point) is that your muscles are already getting tired by the time you are doing your last block. Which means your heart is getting tired to and it will never reach your true max. These methods do because you start out fresh.

to get things right but my home race is on 11th May so I am looking at the moment running 9min/miles, biking 3.45min/miles then in 3 weeks drop that to run 8 min/miles, biking 3.20 min/miles. then finally 7 weeks before the race drop it to run 7 min/miles and biking 3 min/miles. is this the right way to do it ??

Normally there is this 10% rule which says you can make your training plans harder for 10% every week to prevent injuries. Now, when training solely on time/distance. Adding 10% is easy to do. When only looking at pace, this is pretty hard because i bet you can run 7m/mile if you are just doing a 1 mile sprint. And most training plans will never let you actually train the full distance of your objective in the race pace you want to reach.

I think this is the event you want to do: http://www.dengieevents.co.uk/#/big-east-triathlon/4543795761 and you are going to do the OD distance. I see its a flat surfaced bike/running course. I do believe with a tri steer on your bike you will get the 3min/miles mark when you try to do it in training. But I don't know how good you will be after swimming. I have no experience with this conversion. As for the running. I can't imagine myself running 7m/mile so after swimming and biking, for me, this would be one of my biggest sportive victories. But I don't know your capacities. I think it will be hard but hey, just go for it! I'll try it too! (allthough my OD is in July :D)

Well, I hope this post wasn't too boring and I hope I didn't tell a bunch of jibberish. And most of all, I hope I made myself clear because I think i'm the only non-english speaker in the company so do correct me when you see mistakes!

Edited by Tridimi 2014-01-25 4:51 PM
2014-01-25 4:53 PM
in reply to: el penguino

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Originally posted by el penguino
I do get that. How about thinking about it as finishing up the week, rather than starting something new- trick your brain with a little twist? Alternatively, the week starts on a Sunday, not Monday. It doesn't usually trick my brain, but you've already admitted to hearing voices so...

I'll try ;-)

Oh, and about those voices, try to keep that between you and us.

2014-01-26 9:39 AM
in reply to: McFuzz

User image

Chelmsford, England
Who can guess what happened on my bike ride today ?
2014-01-26 10:04 AM
in reply to: Jynxy

User image

flat tire? broken chain? new PR? snow?
2014-01-26 10:31 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

flat tire? broken chain? new PR? snow?

yes damn flat , I was 2 miles from home and could of very easy called the misses to pic me up but I decided that I may have to do it during a race so I replaced my inner tube. took me 15 minutes and I carried on after.

I must say that it was gusting 40 mph and raining so my resolve was well tested but I am in a different state of mind now days

I do have all the kit for repairs as well and was very tempted to use my nice CO2 cartridge

2014-01-26 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jynxy
Originally posted by el penguino flat tire? broken chain? new PR? snow?
yes damn flat , I was 2 miles from home and could of very easy called the misses to pic me up but I decided that I may have to do it during a race so I replaced my inner tube. took me 15 minutes and I carried on after. I must say that it was gusting 40 mph and raining so my resolve was well tested but I am in a different state of mind now days I do have all the kit for repairs as well and was very tempted to use my nice CO2 cartridge

Congratulations on fixing a flat tire and continuing the ride.  I usually carry my frame pump on training rides and save my CO2 for "special occasions" (like races), but it is a good idea to have a little experience with the inflator prior to a race.  That way you can "expect" that the cartridge gets frosty cold when you use it and you know the sequence so you don't discharge all of that gas outside the tube. 

2014-01-26 10:41 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by el penguino question: I was looking at training plans, and I see some are HR (Heart rate?) and some are RPE. What does RPE stand for? I have to psych myself up for my long run this weekend. The weather is awful- cold and windy and snowy, but I just can't do 6 miles on the treadmill so out I go. Do you think 20s and snowy and windy or low teens and windy, no snow sounds better? I'm leaning towards warmer and snowy and windy. Even if I have to dodge snowplows. I hope not.

Rate of Perceived Effort.  I've seen scales from 1-10 and 6-20.  Look at the instructions on your training plan, and it should tell you what the author means because RPE 8 will have very different meanings depending on the scale used. 

I like cold and snowy.  The snow on the ground can be soft and muffle your footsteps, making the run very peaceful. 

2014-01-26 10:43 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Let"s psych up together. Allthough there is no snow here, i'm pretty sure it will be windy, rainy and cold. But I really need to get out again because this week has been problematic. First have to finish this night shift, get some sleep and hopefully have slept enough to do a little running.

I did it! ran 6.3 miles, in the wind, 18F and snow (just a little). Now, your turn!! It was SOOOOOOO nice to get outside.

I accept my loss hahaha :D

No, the plan today was to do some family time this afternoon, get home, put the kid to bed and do a little run. Alas things ran quite differently. It was already 6pm when we got home. I had to make dinner (Home-made French Fries ). At 7:10pm I forgot i had to pick up a chalk board we bought second hand. It was a 45min drive to get there (it was so cheap it was worth the ride). So by the time I got back, it was 9pm and well, I really don't want to get out that late for a run... Especially now.

I don't know how you all feel about it but when you have a training plan in your mind at the beginning of the week and everything starts to fall apart, I sometimes have problems to get back up and get motivated. And I have a very rational mind also. And it says, monday is a new week, so forget about your plans, start again on Monday :-/. Something new can never start in the middle of the week! Thats blasphemy in my mind

PS I'm not crazy. I just hear little voices in my head.

This is great everyone!  The mentor program at work. 

Encourage one another, post your successes, and realize that you can choose to make a setback temporary.  It is a new week with new workouts to tackle and new life-challenges to overcome. 

No, life rarely works out the way I expect either. 

2014-01-26 1:45 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England
@Dimitri

I think as I train more and more the under 8mile minute for running is more more realistic target but I would never rule out going faster if training goes better than expected.

my challenge distance is 28 mile bike, I currently struggle to get under 3:45 but I haven't really started to ramp up the miles yet. I seem to train far too high in my running and not high enough in my cycling.

some interesting things hidden in all of that jibberish, I did a test at the start of last year with my PT on a treadmill and HR sensor and got 204 Max. (yes it was hard work, I had never run that fast in my life)

the bradwell course is fairly flat but with hills. im not quite sure what a Tri-steer is maybe Aero Bars.

and your English is very good no mistakes.
2014-01-26 2:40 PM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

aha, Aero bars. Thats what i meant! I assume you have no bike history. My experience with combining running and biking is that it works wonderfull! It really fits together well. The only thin you really need to train on your bike when you run a lot, is getting used to training over longer times. And of course, your muscles need to develop the feel for the motion. Thats why i'm pretty sure you will get to a great pace when you keep your training up.

On another note, starting tomorrow i'll make a weight loss album too. It sounds like a great idea to take pictures of yourself every week and (hopefully) notice the fysical changes next to the actual weight loss. It should provide me with some extra motivation.

2014-01-27 4:42 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
The magic weight measure this morning was 100.5 kilos that's 6 kilos in 4 weeks around 13 pounds. So well exited for next Monday when I will be under 100 kilos.
2014-01-27 6:23 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by Jynxy The magic weight measure this morning was 100.5 kilos that's 6 kilos in 4 weeks around 13 pounds. So well exited for next Monday when I will be under 100 kilos.

Great progress! 

(If you haven't already, get a tape measure and record some body dimensions.  As you lose fat and gain lean muscle, the scale may not provide a reliable indicator of progress.

2014-01-27 7:36 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by McFuzz

Originally posted by Jynxy The magic weight measure this morning was 100.5 kilos that's 6 kilos in 4 weeks around 13 pounds. So well exited for next Monday when I will be under 100 kilos.

Great progress! 

(If you haven't already, get a tape measure and record some body dimensions.  As you lose fat and gain lean muscle, the scale may not provide a reliable indicator of progress.

luckily I had already done the measurements will put them up now.
2014-01-27 8:45 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Which are the parts you measure? This morning I taped a piece of paper next to the bathroom mirror to keep track of my weight :D This evening I'll take pictures. I don't have a tape measure yet... I'll probably work around it with a piece of string which I'll measure with a ruler or something like that. A bit more work. My weight was at 99.9kg this morning

2014-01-27 9:24 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Which are the parts you measure? This morning I taped a piece of paper next to the bathroom mirror to keep track of my weight :D This evening I'll take pictures. I don't have a tape measure yet... I'll probably work around it with a piece of string which I'll measure with a ruler or something like that. A bit more work. My weight was at 99.9kg this morning

The first three measurements should be waist, chest, and hips.  You can add biceps, forearms, wrists, thighs, and calves if you desire.  Some of these are easier to measure if someone is helping you. 

2014-01-27 10:18 AM

User image

Chelmsford, England

My weight was at 99.9kg this morning

ooh im so going to catch you, but will you let me ........
2014-01-27 12:42 PM

User image

good day today! I got a run on the treadmill this morning before leaving home (I really need to make that a habit for my short runs), and then had a session with my swim coach at lunchtime- last one for a while; she's going out of town for basically 2 months. She thinks I'm in good shape- just need to spend time in the pool and everything will continue to fall into place. Next up- psyching myself up for a 4 mile run tomorrow when it is supposed to be 10F with a wind chill. I could do a treadmill, but I'm so much happier running outside, and my body likes it more. Not more than frostbite though, so not sure which I'll do.
2014-01-27 3:11 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

Originally posted by el penguino good day today! I got a run on the treadmill this morning before leaving home (I really need to make that a habit for my short runs), and then had a session with my swim coach at lunchtime- last one for a while; she's going out of town for basically 2 months. She thinks I'm in good shape- just need to spend time in the pool and everything will continue to fall into place. Next up- psyching myself up for a 4 mile run tomorrow when it is supposed to be 10F with a wind chill. I could do a treadmill, but I'm so much happier running outside, and my body likes it more. Not more than frostbite though, so not sure which I'll do.

Nancy, wait, 10 degrees fahrenheit? Thats like -12 degrees Celsius. Allthough I always say you can dress up to the cold, your airways can only endure a certain amount of cold. When sporting in that cold and breathing really deep from the exercise, be carefull not to get an infection of the cold.

And I bet having trained with a swim caoch to lay down the base will get you through the next 2 months!

Lol, you really need to start a mentor group in a few years :P

BTW whats the difference betwee hips and waist? And how do you measure all the rest you put in your profile?

Edited by Tridimi 2014-01-27 3:17 PM
2014-01-27 4:26 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Originally posted by el penguino good day today! I got a run on the treadmill this morning before leaving home (I really need to make that a habit for my short runs), and then had a session with my swim coach at lunchtime- last one for a while; she's going out of town for basically 2 months. She thinks I'm in good shape- just need to spend time in the pool and everything will continue to fall into place. Next up- psyching myself up for a 4 mile run tomorrow when it is supposed to be 10F with a wind chill. I could do a treadmill, but I'm so much happier running outside, and my body likes it more. Not more than frostbite though, so not sure which I'll do.

Nancy, wait, 10 degrees fahrenheit? Thats like -12 degrees Celsius. Allthough I always say you can dress up to the cold, your airways can only endure a certain amount of cold. When sporting in that cold and breathing really deep from the exercise, be carefull not to get an infection of the cold.

And I bet having trained with a swim caoch to lay down the base will get you through the next 2 months!

(Grin)  That's the way it is supposed to work! 

BTW whats the difference betwee hips and waist? And how do you measure all the rest you put in your profile?

Hips would be measured even with the joint where your legs attach to your pelvis. 

Waist is less easily defined...you could measure where the waistband of your pants are, but this might change over time.  Alternatively, you can measure using your belly button as a reference.  It may be hgher than your "natural waist" but will always be part of your anatomy. 

2014-01-27 5:13 PM

User image

Chelmsford, England
Originally posted by McFuzz

(Grin)  That's the way it is supposed to work! 

Hips would be measured even with the joint where your legs attach to your pelvis. 

Waist is less easily defined...you could measure where the waistband of your pants are, but this might change over time.  Alternatively, you can measure using your belly button as a reference.  It may be hgher than your "natural waist" but will always be part of your anatomy. 

Neck: neck circumference below the larynx.
Chest: under armpits across nipples, unless your a woman and across upper portion of the chest.
Waist: minimum girth at natural contour just below bottom rib
Hips: hips circumference at the greatest protrusion of the buttocks, maximum girth
Thigh: maximum girth just below curve of buttocks
Calf: maximum girth of calf circumference between knee and ankle
Forearm: maximum girth circumference between elbow and wrist
Upper arm: maximum girth circumference between shoulder and elbow

Another one I add is
Abdomen: circumference around naval

Some people do things differently that's just my opinion

2014-01-27 7:24 PM

User image

Yeah, I walked to the car earlier this evening (and it wasn't that cold, or as blustery as it is going to be tomorrow) and decided to either take it to the treadmill tomorrow or take a day off. It's supposed to warm up Thursday- meaning like 20F! oh, so warm! (sarcasm font) And then get a little warmer after that.
2014-01-28 1:39 AM

User image

, West-Vlaanderen

So thigh, do you measure them standing straight and with your legs together or one by one?

2014-01-28 6:54 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

So thigh, do you measure them standing straight and with your legs together or one by one?

I usually measure one thigh, standing. 

2014-01-28 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glasgow, UK
Hi all,

I'm trying to stay off the scales at the moment, it has quite a disastrous effect on my mental well being so I'm trying to stick to once a month and just be satisfied with sticking to the calorie deficit. It's working well so far, in fact better than I've ever know it before (touch wood). I am missing knowing if I'm doing the right thing and getting results though so measurements could be the way forward.

I signed up to my 'big' race last night, the idea is both filling me with dread and excitement. The swim will be OK and the run will depend on how well the bike goes but the bike has a massive big climb in the middle of it. I am trying not to beat myself up over the lack of quality training (mainly caused by work getting in the way) and to focus on the fact that I'm sticking to my nutrition plan, have logged for about 22 days in succession and stuck to my calorie target. Nutrition (and weight loss) is going to make the biggest difference for me so I need to make sure I stick to the plan.

Kate
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » McFuzz's New Athlete Group (CLOSED) Rss Feed  

of 21

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's New Years Resolution Group-Closed (if are stuck with no group PM me) Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32

Started by Baowolf
Views: 38000 Posts: 779

2014-05-23 8:02 PM Pink Socks

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : January 1, 2007
author : Nancy Clark
With the coming of the New Year, athletes commonly think about making nutrition resolutions. Good thing, given only 3 to 4% of Americans follow all of the established Dietary Guidelines.
date : January 29, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
The most valuable thing you can do for your endurance training is to schedule a weekly 2-4hr long ride from now until the end of time. Simply make this “what you do” every Saturday or Sunday morning.

date : January 1, 2006
author : acbadger
Individuals are just that, individuals and need individual programs. However, with a group the size of yours, it may be difficult for your coaches to do 25 individual workouts.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : November 27, 2005
author : Rich Strauss
Tri clubs offer all of us, from beginner to advanced athlete, a venue in which we can realign our perspective of what “fast” and “far” are, pushing us to new and greater heights of performance.
date : January 24, 2005
author : Michael
I heard an athletic trainer say that in life we have many setbacks. The key is to overcome these setbacks, but the question is how?

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.