BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 40

2014-06-05 10:59 AM
in reply to: lutzman

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2014-06-05 11:08 AM
in reply to: DJP_19

Monterey, California
Subject: RE: tri completed
Congratulations! That's exciting and sounds like you learned a lot.
2014-06-05 11:10 AM

Monterey, California
Subject: RE: Packing for Boise 70.3
Have fun and good luck!
2014-06-05 4:02 PM

Good luck Steve. Can't wait to hear about your race!
2014-06-05 4:16 PM

Regular
UNITED STATES
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN!
Hi Steve, Hope to join your group, At age 56 I at least meet that qualification. I did a sprint in 2012 and was preparing to make "13" a better year when in Jan, i sustained back and rib injuries which sidelined me till April this year so i have been training for 2 months and am going to a sprint this sunday the 8th of June. I pretty much have no one to share my passion for triathlon and train on my own. I am motivated but some sharing of information on the nuances and experience of seasoned tri people would be of great value. Thanks for listening.
2014-06-05 4:55 PM
in reply to: wrhall2

Expert
Charlottesville, Virginia
Welcome Bill and good luck this weekend! Did you spring for a new bike?

Stu

2014-06-05 5:25 PM
in reply to: juneapple

Farmington, Connecticut
Best of luck, Steve. Think cool thoughts during the run!
2014-06-05 5:26 PM
in reply to: Beach_Gurlz

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: tri completed
Thanks, BG , Steve, Scott, Mtn Dan...
2014-06-05 6:10 PM

Spencer, New York
May the force be with you!
2014-06-05 7:44 PM
in reply to: KWDreamun

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Hmmm . . . HR Zones Correct?

Originally posted by KWDreamun

Scott, I hope I didn't offend you or anyone on here about not using electronics while training. I know they are good tools for a lot of people. I'm technology challenged anyway (1 time I ran w/ a gps amd it was still hooked up to the charger)...and it was not fun waiting for the beep, trying to figure out if I was going to gast or to slow. Sometimes I feel like running and want to go faster, sometime

I'm just tired or it is humid or whatever and want to go slow. I'm just doing this for health and to stay in shape, well trying to get in shape.

I did go to your site. Wow you are impressive with the swimming. I am such a poor swimmer I'm probably quitting tris and sticking with biking and running. I have taken lessons and for some reason it just does not click for me, Oh I got better but it still was awful, usually in the very last in the swim and had to make up for it on the bike and run. My hat is off to you for being such a good swimmer! I'm envious!!!

karl

Karl,

Absolutely no offense taken.

Lots of people choose not to use the available technology.  I am an I.T. Consultant so I am kind of a nerd by definition.  I always seem to find a way to introduce a 'geek factor' to everything I do so yes, I use all the electronic toys.  As I said in my earlier post, training by RPE and feel is becoming a lost art.  We all would probably be well served if we were to take a page from your play book and train without the electronics every now and again.

As far as swimming.  That you for the kind words.  My swimming success was many years ago.  I can still get down the pool, but my days of swimming glory are likely behind me.

I would hate to see you give up tri's because you are having a bit of difficulty with the swim.  That seems to be the one commonality among nearly all triathletes - that they struggle with the swim.  It seems that unless swimming was a triathlete's first language, it is a challenge to conquer the swim.  A couple things to remember, swimming is highly technical.  It is the most technical of the triathlon disciplines.  It also takes a fairly significant amount of time to become successful.  You said you had taken some lessons.  I would encourage you to take a couple more with a different coach.  I have NEVER seen ANYONE that cannot learn to swim properly and develop an efficient stroke.  Maybe you just didn't "click" with the coach rather than not clicking with swimming.

2014-06-05 7:53 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by lutzman

Hi Gang: Well, I'm nearly packed. I'm about to fix breakfast and then I'll head to the basement to disassemble my bike and pack it into my bike box for the flight to Boise.

Good luck Steve!  Hope you have a great race.

The race doesn't go off until noon vs. the normal 7:00 a.m. start...so I'll just kind of be hanging out all morning. It will be nice to sleep in, but I'm sure I'll be cursing the the late start when I get to the run in the full heat of the afternoon sun.

What brainiac thought that schedule up?  Wow, I had no idea the federal government was now running tri's!

My bike performance should be similar although the course has a few more hills, wind will be a factor and I need to hold back more to save up for the run. 

Are you setting pace with RPE or did you break down and get a power meter?  Good luck with the hills and the wind.

2014-06-05 7:54 PM

Regular
UNITED STATES
Short answer, Yes. I did my first sprint tri on a Trek hybrid which in itself is a nice bike but not a road racer, it weighed about 35 pounds. I bought a Liberty/ Gravity model and it is noticeably lighter about 17 pounds. Just put some Gatorskins on it last week cause the roads around here are pretty rough.
2014-06-05 9:24 PM

Expert
Go get 'em Steve! Race smart - late day start will definitely throw a few wrenches into people's normal plans... but not yours!
Stu
2014-06-06 12:21 AM

Master
Sendai, Japan

Good Luck Steve!!   Good luck Bill!!

Safe travels Dan!

Scott:  I took a look at your blog and the article about breathing.  I've read many things and watched many videos, but your way of explaining it resonates with me (especially the "poor body roll equals poor breathing" part).   I will be back in the pool on Sat or Sun to give it a try.

Non-power meter users:  if price is a problem you may want to take a look at Trainer Road's virtual power option:

http://www.trainerroad.com/features/virtual-power

2014-06-06 6:15 AM
in reply to: dcon

Dublin, Ohio
Good luck Steve! Take no prisoners!
2014-06-06 11:50 AM
in reply to: KWDreamun

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Subject: RE: Hmmm . . . HR Zones Correct?
Originally posted by KWDreamun

Other books I have recently read and liked: "Finding Ultra, the "China Study" and am currently reading "Born to Run".

Karl:

I read Born to Run a year or so ago. Great book, great read. It's quite an adventure story. I really like Run Less, Run Faster as a training book because it works pretty good for my lifestyle.

Steve

2014-06-06 11:58 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Regular
Subject: RE: On site in Boise
Originally posted by k9car363

Are you setting pace with RPE or did you break down and get a power meter?  Good luck with the hills and the wind.

Hey Scott:

I sprung for the Powertap this past winter. I bought a new Zipp 808 from wheelbuilder and then sold my used 808 on Ebay. It was expensive, but selling the used wheel took away some of the pain.

I love my Power Tap. It is absolutely fabulous for measuring output on the bike. What I've discovered:

1) It proved how weak I really am as a cyclist
2) Showed me that when my RPE was telling my brain I was working pretty hard, my RPE was lying.
3) Monitoring output over time on a long ride can really be improved with this tool, especially if there are a lot of hills and/or a head wind which makes using just speed and HR problematic.
4) There is more in my tank during interval training and I really can be working harder
5) 300 watts is really difficult to maintain. I'll probably shoot for about 170 continuous on my HIM.

If you have an opportunity to get a power meter on your bike, I highly recommend it. It's just a really great tool for the self-coached athlete.

Steve
2014-06-06 12:26 PM

Monterey, California
Subject: Cycling - hand pain
This is silly but.... Did my long training ride yesterday and had some pain in my hands/wrists. Hoping someone here can help me figure out a solution or simply tell me more training.

I hold the handlebars using same grip as on a barbell, thumb on inside, fingers outside. Hands felt stiff and in pain, had to lift each off occasionally to shake it out. Is this normal and I'm a baby or is there something I can do?
2014-06-06 7:51 PM
in reply to: dcon

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by dcon

Scott:  I took a look at your blog and the article about breathing.  I've read many things and watched many videos, but your way of explaining it resonates with me (especially the "poor body roll equals poor breathing" part).   I will be back in the pool on Sat or Sun to give it a try.

Dan,

Glad it helped.  In my humble opinion, body roll is the single most important thing to doing freestyle properly.  Get that right and everything else will begin to fall in to place.

Let me know how it goes when you try it out in the pool.

2014-06-06 7:54 PM

Farmington, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Cycling - hand pain
Originally posted by Beach_Gurlz

I hold the handlebars using same grip as on a barbell, thumb on inside, fingers outside. Hands felt stiff and in pain, had to lift each off occasionally to shake it out. Is this normal and I'm a baby or is there something I can do?

I get a bit of this too. Not really pain, but some stiffness and/or numbness. I'm thinking of installing aerobars on my road bike to see if that increases my overall comfort by giving me a different position. Or maybe I'm just a baby, too.

2014-06-06 8:40 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: On site in Boise

Originally posted by k9car363

I love my Power Tap. It is absolutely fabulous for measuring output on the bike. What I've discovered:

1) It proved how weak I really am as a cyclist
2) Showed me that when my RPE was telling my brain I was working pretty hard, my RPE was lying.
3) Monitoring output over time on a long ride can really be improved with this tool, especially if there are a lot of hills and/or a head wind which makes using just speed and HR problematic.
4) There is more in my tank during interval training and I really can be working harder
5) 300 watts is really difficult to maintain. I'll probably shoot for about 170 continuous on my HIM. If you have an opportunity to get a power meter on your bike, I highly recommend it. It's just a really great tool for the self-coached athlete.

Steve

Steve,

Glad to hear you finally joined the power club.  When I got my new tri-bike last Christmas, I decided to upgrade to Garmin Vector for power.  Takes about 5 minutes to swap pedals between bikes and now I have power regardless of what I ride.

Yes, having power numbers absolutely opened my eyes.  Same thing as you, found out RPE and HR aren't terribly accurate, especially when hills are involved,  and that I could train much harder than I had been.  I think the thing I like the most is that now when I ride, I know what number I need to  strive for to accomplish the days plan - no more guessing and hitting the wall.

Rock you race tomorrow!

2014-06-06 8:46 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

This is silly but.... Did my long training ride yesterday and had some pain in my hands/wrists. Hoping someone here can help me figure out a solution or simply tell me more training.

Did you get a bike fit when you got your bike?  My first thought is that your fit is wrong.  Higher handle bars and/or lower seat will help.

2014-06-06 8:51 PM

Expert
Originally posted by DJP_19

I get a bit of this too. Not really pain, but some stiffness and/or numbness. I'm thinking of installing aerobars on my road bike to see if that increases my overall comfort by giving me a different position. Or maybe I'm just a baby, too.

My guess is that your upper body, arms and hands are not relaxed. There's a tendency when you're pushing it to grip harder which makes your entire upper body stressed. Next time you're out, think about hands being light around the handlebars rather than gripping tightly. Just for guidance. Especially make sure that your arms and elbows are relaxed and bent.

Dave, I found that the areobars allowed me to try some different positions and relax a bit more. Definitely helpful on longer rides (not that I've done any this year!).

Signed up today last minute for a 5K run tomorrow. Wounded Warriors - good cause and usually a good turnout. Pretty tough course though, even when I'm in good shape. Better be under 27... hoping for under 26.

Stu
2014-06-06 9:00 PM

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by DJP_19

Hey Dave -

Have you had a bike fit?  Same as BG, your fit is likely off just a little bit causing the minor pain in your hands.  Adding aero bars may actually make the problem worse if you don't get a proper fit after adding the aero bars.  Sadly, adding aero bars doesn't change the seat tube angle so there is no change in the geometry of the bike.  There are however, several adjustments that can be made to get you into proper position.   If/when you get the new bars, I would take the bike in and have a professional fit done or you run the risk of being miserable down in aero which translates to you won't be in aero very long - defeating the purpose of purchasing the aero bars in the first place.

Just my humble two cents.

2014-06-06 11:09 PM
in reply to: wrhall2

Regular
Originally posted by wrhall2

Hi Steve, Hope to join your group, At age 56 I at least meet that qualification. I did a sprint in 2012 and was preparing to make "13" a better year when in Jan, i sustained back and rib injuries which sidelined me till April this year so i have been training for 2 months and am going to a sprint this sunday the 8th of June. I pretty much have no one to share my passion for triathlon and train on my own. I am motivated but some sharing of information on the nuances and experience of seasoned tri people would be of great value. Thanks for listening.

Hi Bill:

Glad to have you join our group. Welcome!

Steve
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Masters Focus Triathlete Forum--OPEN! Rss Feed  

of 40

RELATED POSTS

Beer Drinker Accountability/Appreciation Society - Open Pages: 1 ... 55 56 57 58

Started by Qua17
Views: 48165 Posts: 1446

2014-12-21 7:19 PM Qua17

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 51166 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (Open) Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 19837 Posts: 218

2014-12-22 1:14 PM Birkierunner

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31