Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 26

2007-02-01 11:03 PM
in reply to: #629883

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - OPEN

I think I'm the "avid" cyclist Kirk was referring to.  I don't use a trainer.  I just bundle up and go outside.  Since I'm in Texas, it's not really too cold (well, not Colorado or Vermont cold, both of which I know).  I also don't run on treadmills - get too dizzy.  I'm currently trying to recover from a knee injury which is now being diagnosed as part injury, part mild arthritis (I hate that "old person" word).  I'm learing to love running, but am cycling and swimming as an alternative to run training for my 1/2 marathon (1/2 mary in BT speak) at the end of Feb. 

It's great to have all you new group members with your unique stories, but the same great goal - to complete a tri.  Kirk is right when he says you'll be hooked after your first (or maybe your second).  I know I am, and I've only done 3 lifetime (first in 2000, last two in Sept and Oct '06).  I already have 3 planned (2 paid for) for '07.

db

2007-02-02 2:02 AM

User image

Morning and welcome!
Sluggo and leylasoleil! So glad to have you! I am enjoying the journey so far and the mor the merrier!!!! Happy Day to you! I will get to logs later and check it out!!! Welcome once again!
2007-02-02 9:05 AM
in reply to: #676411

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
thanks for the welcomes everyone. I'm glad to be here, I'm sure it will help me stay motivate through this process.

Leyla, have you started the 22 week program yet? I'll be doing the same program. It'll be cool having someone going through the same program at the same time. I've been going to the gym for the past few weeks, really to just get back into the swing of things. I plan to start the actuall 22 weeks on Monday. I'll be modifying the plan just a bit b/c I need to put a few $ into my bike before I can start riding...besides, it's pretty cold here. Instead I'm going to do some extra swimming and a cardio class at the gym.

so, now that I type it, I'm wondering...is this a mistake...putting off the biking for a few weeks?
2007-02-02 10:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth
Subject: RE: MarkQuiet's group - FULL

Morning all - I got to say that we filled back up pretty quickly. I am going to go ahead and close up the group again so we don't have too many people to track. I would again like to welcome our three new members - last of which is leysoleil.

As I had mentioned in earlier posts keep coming here and posting updates, but I would also like to encourage everyone to use those logs religiously. Especially the beginners. It will be amazing to see your progress in a few months. Seeing your own progress is as much of a motivator as preparing for the next race. I also would like to ask the everyone put the others in this group on your friends list. If you are not sure how to do that, just send me a PM. Try to check each others progress throughout the week and leave inspirations. It helps to keep us all accountable for our workouts.

As for the question on the trainer. I was hoping that dblack would be able to respond, but I forgot he is hardcore and will brave the elements. Personally, I don't have one either. I just don't ride much in the winter time as I am typically doing marathons. I'm not sure if anyone else in this group has a trainer. You might want to post the question in the other forums - or go to your LBS (Local bike Shop) to get advice.

2007-02-02 12:36 PM

User image

Subject: Running Question
Hey everyone,
Went out last night to a real running shop (versus Dick's sporting goods) to get myself a pair of running shoes.
WOW. 100.00 later - I've got a shoe that actually fits. I found out I was totally wearing the wrong size.
Anyway - here's my question.
When I walk (haven't technically started running as of yet) at a good clip - my ankles burn. Specifically, my left ankle. Eventually it gets so bad that there is this burning that goes from my ankle bone straight up the side of my leg (not in the shin area, but on the side). Then it's like my ankle "freezes" - doesn't go numb - stays hot - but like it doesn't want to move. It's incredibly painful. If I stop and stretch it out and stay off it for, oh, say 30 minutes, the pain goes totally away. No swelling. However, as soon as I start back up again - the pain comes back.
Now I know as I lose weight and now I have bought a good pair of shoes, this type of thing will get better.
My question is - is this just something that will go away eventually or is it a problem? I know that it really gets in the way as cardio wise, I know I could handle a faster pace than walking.
Thanks,
Tami
2007-02-02 12:51 PM
in reply to: #676655

Hi Sluggo...:D

That is indeed the plan I was going to tackle...I have started trying it out in an unofficial way, but am planning on officially beginning on Monday. I would love to buddy up with you ifyou are game :D

2007-02-02 2:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hey group....We survived the tornadoes down here in Florida - Whew! What a night..... I'm in charge of a 50-60 man/woman Disaster Response Team and we're on the ground now over in Lady Lake and The Villages assessing the area - pretty devastating stuff. Kinda hard to get out on the bike cuz of the wind and the pool is closed -dang! Ran in the wind yesterday and it was rough along with some big hills I ran on - ugh!

dblack - Okay, so you're a hard core cycler but I can't stand the cold (yes, I know I'm a wimp cuz I live in Florida), but do you have any info on trainers, like which ones are best? I'm finding out I need to do more research. There are wind resistance ones, magnetic ones and liquid ones - jeez! I don't care about all the computer gadgets and stuff but quiet would be nice - I'll likely throw my iPod on and crank away to some tunes, and I'd like one that I don't have to do a lot of tearing apart and putting back together on. Has anyone tried a brand that they either loved or would say "definitely don't buy that brand?"

Train hard this weekend...

Tara

2007-02-02 9:04 PM

User image

OK, I am lost what is a trainer?
2007-02-03 6:02 AM

User image

Hi

I´ll like be part of this group. Last year I did 2 races but then I hurted my knee back in july and it was misdiagnosed (Patelar tendonitis) Last december I was diagnosed with IT band friction syndrome. I´m doing a lot of streching, I go to a massage therapist (which has helped me a lot), i walk almost everyday. I started a weight program to streghtened by quads,inner tights and hamstrings as suggested by the doctor. Last week for the first time i rode my mountain bike twice 10 miles each I felt from 1-10, 10 being best a 4.
Prety much my workout plan is as follows Monday-Core (morning),(afternoon)hips,inner tights and walking; Tuesday/Thursdays(morning)Yoga,(afternoon)Weights (at gym total body with focus on legs) walking;Wednesday (morning) Streching and core(afternoon)hips,inner tights and walking,Friday(morning) Pilates and core (afternoon)walk, Saturday Streching and Sunday cycling. I decided to build my strenght before starting swimming, biking and I´m not able to run yet. Any suggestions on my workout plan? How would i know when to start running?
2007-02-03 8:45 AM
in reply to: #677800

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
A trainer is a gizmo you put your bike in and can ride indoors. It offers stability and resistance (some of them are variable). Some are really fancy and you can hook them up to a PC and simulate riding with others or up/down hills, etc. It sounds like the key problem with them is that they are mind-numbingly boring. You can purchase DVDs to watch that inspire you and even work on core exercies, etc. while you work out. Check out www.perfomancebike.com and click on "trainers" and you'll get a good idea of the different kinds.

See ya,
tara
2007-02-03 12:51 PM

Regular
A quick note to all... I just finished my first workout since I got sick last Monday night. I was satisfied to be able to do two events. I thought about running, too, but then decided not to after my bike ride. I don't want to overdo it. I swam 650 meters indoors at the Langley AFB gym, and then rode stationary bike for 10 miles (40 min).
Have a great weekend! Go Colts!
TW

2007-02-03 12:58 PM

User image

Is there room for one more in your group? I was in a group that unfortunately fell apart recently. Please let me know! I'm a newbie and could use all the help and support I can get!
Thanks,
Megan
2007-02-03 1:57 PM
in reply to: #678126

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Hey Megan - I hope you can get in. It's Tara from Danielle's old group. I think you'll like this one. Hey Kirk, can she get in?

Hope so - see ya!

Tara
2007-02-03 2:22 PM
in reply to: #678164

User image

Hey Tara! I hope I can get in too. How are you doing?
2007-02-03 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Megan,

Doing well. Its been cold here in Florida (I know, its all relative) so I haven't been biking and the local pool used the opportunity to close for some upkeep work, so I've been mostly focusing on increasing my time and distance running. I've marked out a 3.2 mile course near my house and I'm trying to increase my time so I'll be able to run the entire distance without croaking. I'm trying to get info on a trainer for my bike. Our local bike shop has a couple so I'm going to take my bike down and try them out. I like to ride with a local group on Tues, Thurs nights but during the winter it gets dark too soon and they do anywhere from 27-45+ miles each night so I'm not able to go with them (they all have lights).

Hope your training is going along well. Do you have a race scheduled yet? I'm going to do a sprint tri in the end of May.

Later,
Tara
2007-02-03 10:22 PM

User image

Hey Tara,
I hope the "official" group members don't mid me crashing
Yeah, I know what you mean about cold. It's 0 degress in Chicago and -23 degree wind chills today. You couldn't pay me to train outside now! I'm scheduled for a mini, indoor duathlon on March 3rd and a 8k at the end of March. So those are what I'm looking forward to in the near future. I started a spinning class again today and it felt great! (all except for my butt which feels like it has the seat permanently indented in it).
Sounds like you're still hitting the training schedule pretty hard despite the weather. Trainers are a good idea. My boyfriend has one since its so cold and dark here too. It takes away the excuses, that's for sure!
Keep up the workouts & good luck with the running. You can do it!
Megan

Edited by mpietrucha 2007-02-03 10:23 PM

2007-02-04 9:33 AM

New user

Hi Mark:

Your story is great, and one that I can certainly identify with. This group looks good to me and I would love to join.

I have been a runner for many years, usually doing some 5K-10K events each year. I completed one marathon, but that was quite a while ago! Over time I have realized that running alone can lead to injuries and/or boredom. So last year, I decided to try a sprint tri. It was a lot of fun, but I realized I hadn't prepared nearly enough (swim was tough for me).

This year, I want to try several more sprint tri's along with some running and cycling events mixed in. My overall goal is to lose some weight and be more fit.

I need a good training plan and some support to accomplish this, without a doubt.
2007-02-04 1:46 PM
in reply to: #678480

User image

Veteran
Crystal River, FL
Megan,
Stay warm!!! Gosh, its cold up there. What kind of trainer does your boyfriend have? Would he recommend it to others or suggest a different kind?
Tara
2007-02-04 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth

Welcome Yubi, mpietrucha, and landsq. You are most welcome to the group.

Please take a moment to write a quick bio about yourselfs and when you plan on doing your first tri. There are various levels of people in our group and all seem to be willing to help out and answer questions.

2007-02-05 3:48 AM
in reply to: #679071

User image

Hi

My name is Grisel and I´m 33 years old. I´m a marine biologist and i live in Puerto Rico. As I said before, last year I did my first triathlon (1:36) back in january and then I did one in june (1:42). Before triathlon I´ve have done duathlon 5 and 10k´s. I hurted my knee back in july I kept training until october where it hurted a lot. I went to a doctor and first it was diagnossed as patelar tendonitis. I recieved therapy and I strching exercises I was adviced to stop running and cycling. Still in december it hurted the same as in july so i decided to go for a second opinion. This time thye did an MRI and some X ray, and I was diagnosed with Iliotibial band syndrome. Went to a massage therapist and that has helped a lot, also I´m doin a lot of streching.
My workout routine for now is walking 4-5 days a week, weight training twice a week (focusing on legs as doctor prescribed), yoga twice a week, and core training twice a week. Last week I rode my mountaing bike and I felt 1-10, 10 being best a 4. I plan to start swimming this week.
As fas as for races, my goal is to be able to do a sprint in june 10, before that there a couple of races I´m interested on the first one in april. But I´m playing by ear, due to my injury. As I stayed on my firs communication, my biggest concern is running.

Talk to you soon

Grisel
2007-02-05 4:26 AM

User image

Nice to meet you everyone! It will take me a bit to get everyone down!!! Several at one time and I am old....

I had a pretty good week, felt I improved on my running which is my weakest area so far. It is hard to say it is the weakest because I am weak in all the areas.......I cannot swim until maybe April.....so I won't have much time. I missed my bike rides this weekend due to family emergency....that is two weeks down.

Thanks for the info on the trainer -- I think I need one!!!!! Just not sure which one?

Have a great week everyone...nice to meet you!

2007-02-05 7:33 AM

User image

Expert
Sugar Hill, GA
Welcome, great to meet everyone.
2007-02-05 10:08 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas

Wow! we've had so many new "recruits" join this mentor list, I can't keep track of everyone.   Can someone do a quick list of the actives so I can update my "friends" watch lists?

Looking forward to getting to know y'all as time permits.

db

2007-02-05 8:18 PM
in reply to: #676094

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
I got the Kurt Kinetic trainer from Bikesport Michigan. Call and tell them you want the internet discount. It was about $275 with shipping. It's sturdy, smooth, quiet, and right in front of the tv in a warm spot. The perfect combination. I have not ridden the bike outside in a few months. It's cold, no tv, etc. A great investment. I use it much more often than I would otherwise because it's right in the house. No travel time to the gym involved. Very good investment.
2007-02-05 8:33 PM
in reply to: #679071

New user

Hi:

My name is Gary and I am 45 years old, living in south central Wisconsin. I have been a runner on and off since college, and did my first sprint tri last year. It was a lot of fun. My goal this year is to do more sprint tri's, mix in some 5K/10K and cycling events, and just get more fit. It's great being around other triathletes, very inspiring.

I am hoping to gain a lot from everyone's experience and accelerate my learning curve quite a bit. While I love to run and cycle, my weakest link is the swim. I really need to get more time in the pool and work on that part of the triathlon.

Look forward to learning a lot from everybody! Thanks.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » MarkQuiet's group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 26