BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 72

2007-01-25 9:03 PM
in reply to: #640246

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: RE: Prof40's Group -- Technically full but you can still sneak in...
so Prof what does the winner of Week 3 challange get?
I am excited, I am going to teach water aerobics ( 6:30 am) and do laps (8) tommow but I do not have to work until later so I am going to for an outdoor run. I love running outdoors, cold does not scare me. It is suppose to feel like 16 in the morning. I also plan on going on Saturday too! Let's keep up the hard work and postive energy. BGT

2007-01-26 3:55 AM
in reply to: #668396

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
CHALLENGE FOR WEEK BEGINNING SUNDAY, JAN 28:

phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-25 8:34 PM

So, how bout we try for at least 2 sessions of weight training focusing on core muscles. You can do situps, pushups and wall squats if you can't make it to a gym or have no special equipment.

Second, let's try for 4 sessions of at least one hour duration doing absolutely whatever sport you want--snowshoeing, skiing, basketball, running/jogging, swimming or water exercise, biking, yoga, boxing, or even dancing--anything that you love doing and can do continuously for at least one hour 4 times this week. This should lay down more capillaries and get us into fat burning mode. Just don't push hard with it and enjoy it!

You heard the lady -- get to it! But you have to tell us: what you did, and how good/bad it felt.

The first person to post all 6 chooses the challenge for Feb 4.

I'm excited about this one. With all the snow here, I'd love to go skiing. This challenge gives me some additional reasons to take the wife out for an unexpected Tuesday fling!
2007-01-26 4:03 AM
in reply to: #668474

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
BigGirlTri-ing - 2007-01-25 10:03 PM

so Prof what does the winner of Week 3 challange get?
I am excited, I am going to teach water aerobics ( 6:30 am) and do laps (8) tommow but I do not have to work until later so I am going to for an outdoor run. I love running outdoors, cold does not scare me. It is suppose to feel like 16 in the morning. I also plan on going on Saturday too! Let's keep up the hard work and postive energy. BGT

Sounds like someone has a busy day planned. You're really making me feel like a lazy sloth, since I'm still trying to do my 7 for the week and you're going out running in a 16 degree wind chill. I'll think of you outside when I'm still snoring between flannel sheets!

Go with your energy. Sounds like you are motivated right now, and when that happens, just enjoy the surge.
2007-01-26 4:33 AM
in reply to: #668396

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-26 1:34 AM

So, how bout we try for at least 2 sessions of weight training focusing on core muscles. You can do situps, pushups and wall squats if you can't make it to a gym or have no special equipment.

Second, let's try for 4 sessions of at least one hour duration doing absolutely whatever sport you want--snowshoeing, skiing, basketball, running/jogging, swimming or water exercise, biking, yoga, boxing, or even dancing--anything that you love doing and can do continuously for at least one hour 4 times this week. This should lay down more capillaries and get us into fat burning mode. Just don't push hard with it and enjoy it! I think we should rename "working out" , "playing out". This is supposed to be fun and fulfilling, not more work.

Excellent challenge for the week ahead. It has come at just the right time as I am off to India for a week so not only will I not be able to log on but I won't be able to get to the gym either (I have a week of 15 hour meetings and every night I am on a plane) so the only sport that I will be able to do is counting the utter fabrications put to me by the other side. Mind you that will probably give me repetitive stress disorder!

I get back in the early hours of Friday morning so I will try to squeeze in as much as I can.

BTW, I hit my seven last night and had my first glass of wine (actually it was a very large glass of Dom PĂ©rignon) for two weeks to celebrate. Lovely.

Love the challenges. Love the rewards.

I've just downloaded/uploaded/imported (I'm not tecnically savvy) the 1/2 IM training program to my calendar and have given myself a bit of a shock with how close the 2nd September is!

On a side note, I have a recurring tearing feeling in my right heel whenever I lean forwards (akin to lunging) on that side. Doesn't happen on the the other side at all. Anyone got any ideas as to what it might be and what I can do to avoid it?

Keep going crew.
2007-01-26 10:44 AM

User image

Well, it could be plantar fascitis (see: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/fact/thr_report.cfm?Thread_ID=144) but since its hurts when you lunge mainly, it could be an irritated ligament in your foot. You have a lot of ligaments moving all the bones in your foot and any one of them can get irritated. If you have flat feet or really high arches, you are much more likely to have pain or problems with your feet, especially as you get more active. In general, the shoes you wear are very important if you have any sort of foot pain. Make sure your running shoes are the approriate shoe for you foot and body type and it may be helpful to remove the stock insole and buy a padded supportive insole. We reccomend "Superfeet" over here, but Im not sure what you have in the UK. Also, even shoes you wear day to day can irritate so you might want to put an insole in them too and pick shoes that are have good support. Its always good to stretch and ice any areas that hurt, if that is possible. If the symptoms you have sound like plantar fascitis at all, it can be really hard to get rid of so nip it in the bud now if you can! I had it for a year myself and I think I caused it by wearing bad shoes at work for too long, but for me it hurt mainly after standing a long time. Of course, its really hard to diagnose over the internet so if it continues to irritate you, see a podiatrist or sports medicine doc!

In other news, I have done 6 of 7 things and am about to go swimming today so I wil lhave met the goal by the end of the day! Which is amazing since I had a crazy work week and have been tired every morning. I like the challenge for next week, since strength training 2x a week is a goal for me too. Im a bit worried about my hip pain, but ive been dealing with for a while now so I think I can keep it in check.
2007-01-27 4:12 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
SATURDAY REVIEW: JAN 27:

Well, so much to say this morning.

Most of you beat me at my own challenge, and many congratulations are due. How'd it feel to do 2 sports on the same day? Did you feel confident and strong as you racked up your numbers? Does the triathlon seem as far-fetched a goal now that you've stressed your body a bit? I'm guessing that some of you are considering a "personal tri", where you'll do all 3 on your own one day just to see if you can do it.

Oh, and I've found that the beat to ELO's "Mr. Blue Sky" is a perfect 8:00/mile pace.

Jimbo, where are you? Haven't heard from you in days and I miss your enthusiasm. I'm sure the team is just as concerned as I am that you've fallen into a work/life/exercise burnout. Let us know that you're okay!

And Bubbagil, Brian10 and Eric are MIA, too. Wondering if you're all on a beach somewhere enjoying the sun and waves, having left your wives at home.

Phoenix won the challenge, and created a pretty good one starting tomorrow. Any questions about how/what/etc should be directed to her. Hey -- did you ever get a swim lesson in?

BGT proved that she is a cold-weather running masochist. Brr. Enough said.

Jeng is back at school and has convinced one of her professor's to give her credit for her tri training.

Malphh has switched to low carb Australian beer to further tone his training physique.

Jose is working 24-hour shifts, and says he has no time in the remainder of the day to exercise. Excuses, excuses.

Mark Stanley hit his 7 by riding his bike in the English snow, downed a celebratory glass of Dom, and now is headed off to India. Oh, the things a person will do to skip out on this week's endeavor. Watch that right heel -- pain like you describe is never good, and the week off is probably a good idea. But I agree with the opinions proffered by the team for stretching, icing, etc, and suggest that you get it checked out if you still feel it this week. The sense of "tearing" just cannot be good.

Watergirl returned from her ski trip and did her first bike/run brick of the year in the winter snow. Seriously impressive (and figurative) cajones there.

This was a good week. Good luck on the next challenge!

2007-01-27 4:20 AM

User image

Disaster has struck!! been the true blue aussie celebrating australia day i had 1 or 9 drinks too many and fell up the stairs!! ouch..... i reckon its going to be a couple days before the swelling goes down and the brusing to go away and maybe a week to repair my ego

but i will work on threw!

cheers!
malph
2007-01-27 8:50 AM

Had to travel part of the week, so hard to keep in touch. Had enough time to fit in some workouts to keep up. Took my first turn in the pool on Thursday. Need to learn to pace myself a little better. Hoping to meet my personal challenge and get to the pool again today. Keep up the good work everybody.
2007-01-27 2:47 PM

User image

Expert
Still playing phone tag with a swim instructor--It's truly maddening. So, I went in the pool today with Noah (age 8) for his first ever pollywog swim lesson. Yep, I was in there with the little kids, practicing breathing with my face in the water while using a floaty thingy with one arm, because it's too distracting right now to breathe and use both arms. What humiliation I endure next is anyone's guess. Probably when I wipe out the first dozen times trying to balance on the tri bike's skinny tires, perching on elbows, and practicing putting my feet in the shoes that are attached to the bike. Or when the 70 year olds pass me on the run! Or I trip on my own shoe laces......I'm increasing a tiny bit on the weights (must be the muscles are just a tiny bit stronger). And I signed up for a group cycling class tomorrow morning. I think it will help, and it's free with the Y membership. Might try to do more swim tomorrow, and perhaps more weights, unless I feel all like mush by then. I even behaved and just ate a taco salad after the Y today--sure did want one of those chocolate volcano cakes! The scale doesn't go down much, but I do think I'm gaining muscle, so that's okay. I'm absolutely not eating enough to gain fat weight. What do you all think of the protein bars--the ones with 19g protein and about 210 calories? Just what exactly should one eat to not lose muscle and yet have enough energy to get out of bed in the morning? And what electrolyte drinks are best? I'm not terribly fond of gatorade. Well, have a great weekend everyone. Do your best not to let the winter slump get you!
2007-01-27 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
Decided to look at the marathon schedule for this year and signed up for a half marathon September 23 in the Quad Cities. I went to chiropractic college in Davenport, which is part of the Quads, so I'll feel right at home. Guess I'm woosing out for the full marathon this year. I've been talking to someone who has done 7 and is going to Antarctica and then Argentina to do marathons in about a month. He coaches track and cross country, and I really picked his brain. I think the half this year will be safest and then shoot for a full maybe June of 2008. I'm going to look at 10Ks now for like July or August, and another tri some time this summer. If I don't sign up, I'll start to slack once the first one is over, I'm afraid. I know myself pretty well
2007-01-27 7:10 PM

User image

Expert
Here's my schedule:

March 10 Whitewater Indoor Tri

April 14 Child Abuse Prevention 5K,
Wisconsin Rapids

June 10 West Salem Tri

July 4 God Bless America Tri,
Wautoma

July 28 (tentative--can't register til April 19) Bix7,
Davenport, IA

August 24 (tentative--emailed for more info) Ragnar Relay,
LaCrosse to St. Paul (I want to do the LaCrosse part)

September 23 Foot First Half Marathon,
Quad Cities (Moline, IL)

I think that'll do for now

2007-01-28 4:36 AM
in reply to: #669800

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-27 3:47 PM

Still playing phone tag with a swim instructor--It's truly maddening. So, I went in the pool today with Noah (age 8) for his first ever pollywog swim lesson. Yep, I was in there with the little kids, practicing breathing with my face in the water while using a floaty thingy with one arm, because it's too distracting right now to breathe and use both arms. What humiliation I endure next is anyone's guess. Probably when I wipe out the first dozen times trying to balance on the tri bike's skinny tires, perching on elbows, and practicing putting my feet in the shoes that are attached to the bike. Or when the 70 year olds pass me on the run! Or I trip on my own shoe laces......I'm increasing a tiny bit on the weights (must be the muscles are just a tiny bit stronger). And I signed up for a group cycling class tomorrow morning. I think it will help, and it's free with the Y membership. Might try to do more swim tomorrow, and perhaps more weights, unless I feel all like mush by then. I even behaved and just ate a taco salad after the Y today--sure did want one of those chocolate volcano cakes! The scale doesn't go down much, but I do think I'm gaining muscle, so that's okay. I'm absolutely not eating enough to gain fat weight. What do you all think of the protein bars--the ones with 19g protein and about 210 calories? Just what exactly should one eat to not lose muscle and yet have enough energy to get out of bed in the morning? And what electrolyte drinks are best? I'm not terribly fond of gatorade. Well, have a great weekend everyone. Do your best not to let the winter slump get you!

Wow, when you decide to do something, you really go all out. That's some race calendar you have planned, and since I only have 2 definite/already paid for races lined up, I think you can tell that I dread pre-registering. I just hate commitment. You're going to be in amazing physical shape this summer, and seriously accomplished by September. Just be careful - don't overtrain, and don't go all out if you don't have any gas in the tank on race day. Some of my best race experiences (note: not race times) have been when I took a casual approach and just enjoyed the day, chatting with others as we faced the challenge together.

I like protein bars as meal replacements, or as quick bite after a seriously hard workout. Just read the labels. Some have more sugar than a candy bar, and the calorie/fat content can be worse, too. And some just taste awful. Sample many until you find one you like.

Same with drinks. Gatorade, PowerAde, Gu2o, I've tried them all. I usually stick with water unless I'm going longer than 90 minutes, but again, its a personal preference. I try to avoid calories and sugars when I can.

You might want to see what will be offered on your first race course, and start your sampling with those. If you like them, you'll know your body can handle them on race day. No one likes a stomach ache during a tri. Or find what you like and carry it with you.

Try some gels, too. I love them. Strawberry/kiwi is my favorite flavor, but vanilla is good too. Chocolate is just too thick on a summer's day.

Have a great Sunday!

2007-01-28 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Hi Team! I'm looking up stuff on the Ragnar Relay--the Great River one from LaCrosse, WI to St. Paul, MN--207 miles, August 24-25, 2007. I need to get together a team of 12 to run alternating legs of 3 to 8 miles. It sounds like an absolute BLAST! BGT and Jeng are close enough to seriously consider this, and I'd love to meet you wild women! I realize the dudes in the UK and Down Under will likely pass, but it's 7 months away--anyone else willing to commit??? Wouldn't that be fun to get us all together and compare summer race stories? Look up www.ragnarrelay.com and click on the Great River race. I subscribed to the newsletter. I can likely come up with up to 4 more team members, but I thought maybe you guys could also come up with more??? Otherwise, there is a message board to get with groups who are incomplete, as well. I'm gonna start emailing the runners I chat with and see if any of them will commit, as well. My girlfriends here are unfortunately, not runners. Well, won't hurt to try!!
2007-01-28 3:53 PM
in reply to: #668606

User image

On a side note, I have a recurring tearing feeling in my right heel whenever I lean forwards (akin to lunging) on that side. Doesn't happen on the the other side at all. Anyone got any ideas as to what it might be and what I can do to avoid it?

Keep going crew.

Watergirl appeared to answer a lot of your question but to add my 2 cents if your pain is on the underside of the foot I would think about plantar fasciitis if the pain is in the back/heel i.e. achilles tendon area then I would think tendonitis. The fact that it is more painful when you make a motion does make me think it may be a tendonitis but I would have to hear more about where/how/what makes it hurt.

The shoe IS absolutely critical for example I have flat feet and I am a big guy so I go with motion control shoes for heavy strikers. Saucony Stabil MC or Asics Gel MC etc. etc. I would echo watergirl and go to a high end shoe place and have them look at your feet to make sure you are wearing the proper type of shoes. An online site like www.roadrunnersports.com has a nice explaination.

Professor.....I am back. The 24h shifts and the flu could not keep me down for long.....
2007-01-29 8:31 AM
in reply to: #670223

User image

Minneapolis
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-28 8:07 AM

Hi Team! I'm looking up stuff on the Ragnar Relay--the Great River one from LaCrosse, WI to St. Paul, MN--207 miles, August 24-25, 2007. I need to get together a team of 12 to run alternating legs of 3 to 8 miles. It sounds like an absolute BLAST! BGT and Jeng are close enough to seriously consider this, and I'd love to meet you wild women! I realize the dudes in the UK and Down Under will likely pass, but it's 7 months away--anyone else willing to commit??? Wouldn't that be fun to get us all together and compare summer race stories? Look up www.ragnarrelay.com and click on the Great River race. I subscribed to the newsletter. I can likely come up with up to 4 more team members, but I thought maybe you guys could also come up with more??? Otherwise, there is a message board to get with groups who are incomplete, as well. I'm gonna start emailing the runners I chat with and see if any of them will commit, as well. My girlfriends here are unfortunately, not runners. Well, won't hurt to try!!

I am not apposed to it, I may even come cheer you on, but I will need assume I will be 7-8 months pregnant by then.

I am in what I like to call the WAITING, like the SHINING. My medical appointment last week was a sperm drop off (IUI for the medical folks) so now I waiting to see if I am pregnant, and if not we will be trying agian in mid Feb. So yeah, with the three G's on my side, God, gravity and washed sperm (okay that was not three G's) I am hopeful.

That had nothing to do with the race. I have told my husband I would not tell a bunch of people here at home in case I am not pregnant; you should tell people you do not mind "untelling". Which I get but it is bursting inside of me ( I hope literally!) I figure I can tell this crew cause you are far away and most important, he does not know I told you.

Babysat a 3 month old all weeknd, and it was dam cold outside so I have slacked for two days, and did not complete the last challange, however I am back on the ball today, not looking to win but looking to finish.
BGT

2007-01-29 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
BGT--I'm SO excited for you!!! I had thought maybe you would be pregnant by then, but figured the offer still stands. It may take a little longer than you expect--no one really knows why it does for some women. I actually had two miscarriages, early ones, and no one could really tell me why either. After the first miscarriage, it took about 9 months til we conceived again. So, I will cheer for you, too!

Anyone else up for a relay?

I did swim and weights Saturday, felt great, and so did 300 situps, pushups, leg lifts and boxed for about 20 minutes. Sunday I did my first group cycling class (45 minutes) followed by family fun room, where I crawled around and followed the kids for about 25 minutes, so I figured I had my first hour for this week. The guy running the group cycling had this huge belly and had to weigh 275 or so and was a TOTAL drill seargent!! I hadn't been standing up on the bike, or pushing that hard--holy cow!!! My legs were total jelly afterwards and I still hurt. The other cycling people were actually older than me and could they GO! I wasn't gonna be outdone, so I tried my very best to keep up. Yikes Me thinks I need to do this more often....

2007-01-30 6:21 AM
in reply to: #671078

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
phoenixrising404 - 2007-01-29 9:52 AM

I did swim and weights Saturday, felt great, and so did 300 situps, pushups, leg lifts and boxed for about 20 minutes. Sunday I did my first group cycling class (45 minutes) followed by family fun room, where I crawled around and followed the kids for about 25 minutes, so I figured I had my first hour for this week. ...

And all I did was shovel snow.

But compared to doing situps, maybe shovelling isn't such a bad thing.

My goal is to spend an hour today with my wife doing yoga. I'll report back tomorrow to let you know whether I was successful.

You are really burning some calories here. How's the scale treating you? Has anyone noticed a change in your physique?
2007-01-30 6:32 AM
in reply to: #669608

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
ecjones_98 - 2007-01-27 9:50 AM

Took my first turn in the pool on Thursday.

And how'd it feel? After I'd done my first one in quite some time, I was surprised that my arms were a bit sore. I'd forgotten that swimming works some of those muscles!
2007-01-30 9:35 AM
in reply to: #672379

I felt pretty good. I went again on Sunday and felt even better and could see almost immediate improvement. I was able to swim for a slightly longer period of time. As with everything, my problem is pacing. I get in the pool, lose control, and go all out in the first two lengths. I have to get up to 750 yards in the pool to be prepared for a 660 yard open water swim, so I really need to work on starting at a much more reasonable pace. I don't use any of the swim practice aids. Any suggestions?
2007-01-31 1:46 AM

User image

hey all Its that aussie again.. I am looking for suggestions i am fine all day at work with what i eat i dont ect chips choclate drink softdrinks or any of that but as soon as i get home is where i hit the strife i eat 5 or 5 slices of bread drink lots of lite milk and just eat silly little things,,, any thoughts comments or suggestions??!?!?!? also my second thing i want to know is on every1s training graphs they have strentght training logged i do a fair bit of strenght training and its not appearing on my graph! any 1 know why.

P.s I think you should all come to Australia we might not do a lot of racing but i reckon we could have a hell of a good time!

clint
2007-01-31 4:10 AM

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Hey BGT --

Yesterday, as the wind was howling and the 22 temp felt like 2 with the wind chill, I thought to myself - if she's out here running in this, I should be doing it, too.

It was an amazing run. Thanks for the motivation!

2007-01-31 4:20 AM
in reply to: #672558

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
ecjones_98 - 2007-01-30 10:35 AM

I felt pretty good. I went again on Sunday and felt even better and could see almost immediate improvement. I was able to swim for a slightly longer period of time. As with everything, my problem is pacing. I get in the pool, lose control, and go all out in the first two lengths. I have to get up to 750 yards in the pool to be prepared for a 660 yard open water swim, so I really need to work on starting at a much more reasonable pace. I don't use any of the swim practice aids. Any suggestions?

You know what to do. You just don't want to do it.

Go SLOW.....And don't be racing against the person in the next lane. It's not a competition!

Have you tried intervals? Maybe 15 x 50yds on 1:15, or something close to fit your pace? I'm talking a 20 second rest here between each one. I know, I know, you want to swim it straight, and believe me, you have plenty of time to do that. I'm more interested in you getting the total distance done at a practice, and doing intervals will help you get there. You can swim it straight at the end of February.
2007-01-31 4:27 AM
in reply to: #673676

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Malphh - 2007-01-31 2:46 AM

hey all Its that aussie again.. I am looking for suggestions i am fine all day at work with what i eat i dont ect chips choclate drink softdrinks or any of that but as soon as i get home is where i hit the strife i eat 5 or 5 slices of bread drink lots of lite milk and just eat silly little things,,, any thoughts comments or suggestions??!?!?!? also my second thing i want to know is on every1s training graphs they have strentght training logged i do a fair bit of strenght training and its not appearing on my graph! any 1 know why.

P.s I think you should all come to Australia we might not do a lot of racing but i reckon we could have a hell of a good time!

clint

The key to my healthy eating is total deprivation of anything remotely called junk. Ask my wife, it drives her nuts. I can't eat a cookie (or a 1/2, like she does. Who eats 1/2 a cookie? Sheesh!). If it's here in the house, it will quickly find its way into my stomach.

Can't help you about the logs. I claim complete non-understanding as to how they work.

But the AU trip...now that's intriguing. You going to put us all up?
2007-01-31 9:37 AM
in reply to: #673696

Yes I intend to do intervals. Thanks for the suggestion. I will start doing those.
2007-01-31 10:02 AM
in reply to: #673953

User image

Clint: I echo the prof. I have learned I just cant buy anything that is really tempting because its hard to ignore when its in your house. I buy healthy snacks that fill me up, ie yogurt, nuts, little prewrapped cheeses. And maybe you are not eating enuff during the day, and you come home starving. Try bringing some healthy snacks to work and eat smalll amounts throughout the day. Maybe you wont feel as deprived when you get home. I know for myself, I get starving around 4pm everyday, and I used to just wait till I got home from work and then eat way too much stuff before dinner. Now, I try and eat something like and apple, or a 100calorie energy bar just so I can get home and make dinner without snacking. Well, thats the theory. It works most of the time. Im the first to admit i have eating issues as well. I know exactly what I need to do and how to do it, but somehow things dont always go as plan. Oh well, I keep on trying.

I have almost met the challenge! I did yoga for an 1.5hrs on Sunday (the hardest thing I did all week!), ran for 1hr/8min on Monday, rode my bike 10min to the gym, swam for 50 min, and then rode home yesterday AND did a strength training session. All I have left is 1 more hour workout and a strength session so I thinK I will be done by tomorrow morning. I am scheduled to meet a friend to run this afternoon. Luckily, we have been haveing 50deg days here so running outside has been lovely! Where is everyone else? I havent heard any updates lately! Common everyone, I need some competition!
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's Group -- Technically full but ... Rss Feed  

of 72