of 13

2007-06-28 3:34 PM
in reply to: #800275

User image

New user

Los Alamos, NM
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - FULL
Trish,
Thanks. I like the anecdote about the jar and rocks also. I have also heard it with beer instead of water followed by, “no matter how busy your are there is always room for a couple of beers”. Which also might be part of my problem with the training.

2007-06-29 6:04 PM
in reply to: #864966

User image

Veteran
2007-07-01 6:21 PM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Happy July! Does anyone have new training goals for July? Here are my totals for June:

June's totals:
Bike: 9h 23m 27s - 177.05 Mi
Run: 5h 49m 49s - 35.28 Mi
Swim: 4h 21m - 9813.6 Yd
Rollerblade: 45m

My new goals for July are:
Bike: 250 miles
Run: 45 miles
Swim: 12,000 Yds

Okay, now that I've actually written it down those numbers seem huge! Knowing that other people can look at my training log really keeps me accountable. Thanks everyone!
Carol
2007-07-02 4:29 PM
in reply to: #868008

User image

Veteran
They look pretty impressive to me, too, Carol!

I haven't been setting monthly goals. Instead I'm following the 20 week to Oly (2x balanced) plan from the site and I just sort of go weekly. I have regular training days (TuWe and FrSaSu). I do 3 weeks building 10% on each workout from the previous week, then cut back by 40-50% each in the 4th week to recover. Then I go back to week 3 from the previous build and start there for the next 3-week build. I'm finding that if I don't have a plan for every day, well in advance, I just bumble around running into walls. I don't skip workouts, but I don't really accomplish anything, either. The plans have really kept me consistent, which I think is key. I have all 20 weeks printed on an otherwise blank calendar on my refrigerator and I put a big red check or star on each day when I finish, or a big red X when I miss. I look forward to those checks, too.

This way seems to add up much more slowly than your plan, though! How do you decide what to do for each training session? How does everyone else plan? I've been feeling pretty fortunate not to have any major injuries or problems. Reading about some of the problems people on the forums have had makes me want to build really, really gradually.

Trish
2007-07-05 9:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey everyone, just wanted to share exciting news - I got my first road bike this afternoon! I'm so excited, I don't know if I can wait until it cools off some to go out for a ride. It's a Specialized Allez Elite Triple (I wasn't quite ready to let that triple ring set go! it's so great to have the close gearing for the flat riding I do). I'm really looking forward to riding it for many years. I have to thank my hubby for letting me get it - of course, he got his long-awaited plasma tv, so I guess it's pretty even!

Happy training,
Trish
2007-07-05 11:00 PM
in reply to: #873809

User image

Regular
Congratulations!  That's so cool!  I love new toys.    You're going to fly at your race.   Man, I wish it would only take a bicycle for my wife to let me get the flat screen TV. 

2007-07-06 5:57 AM

New user

Richmond, VA
Showing my ignorance here Trish:

What's a Triple Ring, and why would you not want to let it go?

Ronn
2007-07-06 10:13 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
How exciting Trish!! Can you post a picture?

Bubba, are you excited for you race this weekend? Can't wait for you super speedy race report. You have been working so hard! Anyone else racing this weekend?

(Ronn, ditto on the Triple Ring ha-ha.)

Edited by ccessex 2007-07-06 10:14 AM
2007-07-06 5:33 PM

User image

Veteran
Hey, thanks everyone! I took it out this morning and it flies! My sis & I are going for 25 miles on Sunday!

Ron, a triple ring is three chain-rings on the front of the chain - the part the pedals attach to. It's a lot heavier than a double, but it gives me more finesse in the middle of the gear range. When I shift, it makes just a little change in the hardness of the pedaling, so I can maintain my cadence when I hit a "bump" in the road, which is about all we have around here!

Have a great race tomorrow you Carlsbad crew!

Trish
2007-07-06 6:11 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Guys,

I'm back from the 2 week road trip with the family.
We had a great time, and wore ourselves out.

We drove from San Diego, to Santa Barbara, to San Luis Obispo, to Santa Cruz, to San Andreas (near Sacramento), to Mammoth, to San Diego. We had some great pitstops along the way also (Big Sur, Morro Bay, and Sonora).

We checked out colleges in Santa Barbara, San Luis Obispo, Monterey, and Santa Cruz.
It was quite a trip!

Anyhow, I'm catching up on emails, and BT in general.
I will probably be a swim buddy at the Carlsbad Tri this weekend too, and may be able to see some of you guys.

Danny

2007-07-06 6:13 PM

User image

Regular
Good to have you back Danny.  I'll be there on Sunday, hope to see you...anyway to find BT'ers?  I did the Pacific Open Water Challenge 5k Swim last weekend and met 2 BT'ers there, it was pretty cool.

2007-07-06 6:23 PM
in reply to: #861714

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

rselvage - 2007-06-26 5:06 PM ... I had a skin cancer cut out of my arm last week, which means no swimming until the stitches are out. ...

Hi Ron,

I sure hope everything is going well and that your arm is healing up.  I'm glad to hear that you took care of the problem and nipped it in the bud.  I know some others who have had small spots removed, and they are insistent that vigilance is everything. Please do likewise and take care of yourself! 

I am terrible about putting on sunscreen (like many of us).  This is definitely a big reminder (for all of us) !!

Danny 

2007-07-06 6:29 PM
in reply to: #875204

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

NoSit - 2007-07-06 3:33 PM Hey, thanks everyone! I took it out this morning and it flies! My sis & I are going for 25 miles on Sunday! Ron, a triple ring is three chain-rings on the front of the chain - the part the pedals attach to. It's a lot heavier than a double, but it gives me more finesse in the middle of the gear range. When I shift, it makes just a little change in the hardness of the pedaling, so I can maintain my cadence when I hit a "bump" in the road, which is about all we have around here! Have a great race tomorrow you Carlsbad crew! Trish

Yes Trish, we want to see pictures!!!!! Congratulations on the new bike !!!!!

I have a bike upgrade in mind also, and my wife and I are in negotiation on terms for goodies for her and myself......

Edited by dhyte 2007-07-10 1:03 PM
2007-07-06 6:35 PM
in reply to: #875251

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

bubba76819 - 2007-07-06 4:13 PM Good to have you back Danny. I'll be there on Sunday, hope to see you...anyway to find BT'ers? I did the Pacific Open Water Challenge 5k Swim last weekend and met 2 BT'ers there, it was pretty cool.

I'll be meeting the other swim buddies at 7:30 at the TCSD booth (I'll be there before then though).  At the swim start, all the swim buddies will be near the start line, so I might also see you there.  I'll be the big guy, wearing a desoto wetsuit, pink goggles (yeah...I know....), and wearing a "swim buddy' cap.  

What wave are you in?  Bib number?

Are you all set for the race? Barefoot technique perfected?  22 minute run in order??

Could be a great day.  Hopefully the water conditions cooperate also!

Danny 

2007-07-06 6:45 PM
in reply to: #875268

User image

Regular

I'm heading over in a bit to get my number/goodie bag.  I ran barefoot 3 times, each with pretty rough results (blisters, open wounds...).  My feet are ok, right now, but I don't think the calluses are ready for a barefoot run tomorrow anyway.  Maybe by the next race.

I ran the course recently, and it took me 25 minutes I think, and that was a pretty good pace for me actually, just over 8 min/mile, so I think 22 is a stretch since that run wasn't following the swim/bike events, but we'll see.  

I swam in Carlsbad this week and it was gorgeous!  The water was crystal clear and nice and warm.  I swam it without my wetsuit with no problems.  Anyway, I'll keep an eye out for you on Sunday.   

2007-07-06 6:51 PM
in reply to: #875275

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
If you find out what wave you are in let me know.

2007-07-06 8:41 PM
in reply to: #875279

User image

Regular

Hey Danny, I'm in Wave 3, shoving off at 8:10am.  Hope to see you around! 

I went and rode the course.  I felt great, tried pushing it a bit up the hills and soft pedaling on the flats.  Looking forward to the race on Sunday. 

2007-07-07 12:23 AM
in reply to: #875346

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
bubba76819 - 2007-07-06 6:41 PM

Hey Danny, I'm in Wave 3, shoving off at 8:10am. Hope to see you around!

I went and rode the course. I felt great, tried pushing it a bit up the hills and soft pedaling on the flats. Looking forward to the race on Sunday.

Awesome,  I'll be looking for you. 

Make sure to get some good rest before the race now !!!! 

2007-07-07 9:53 AM
in reply to: #875441

User image

Regular

I got some great sleep last night (Friday) as I never sleep well the night before a race.  So I'm all set!  See you there. 

Anyone else racing? 

2007-07-08 8:30 PM

User image

Regular

Hey Danny, I have a post-race update.

The swim went well, I swam pretty quick I think and had no issues. I'm very comfortable swimming in the Open Water. T1 was quick and had no problems. I hammered the bike leg with an average of 23.3 according to my bike computer. Only one racer passed me during the bike. The run of course was my struggle. I had decided to not go without socks because of the lack of calluses and prior damage to my feet from trying it a few times, but when it came right down to it, and the socks were sticking I just tossed them and went without. Then as I was exiting the transition area, it was pointed out to me that I didn't have my race belt and number...doh! So back I went and then back out again...a loss of a minute or so I'd imagine.

The first mile was painful. It's not the dead legs, but I'm out of breath, cramping all over my ribs and chest. But the second mile I settled down and finally got my HR down to 160 or so. Then the third mile was great other than my right foot bleeding through my shoe...another doh! Anyway, I finished in 1:28:41. 26/82 in my Age Group and 190/928 overall. I don't have the splits so I'm not sure about each discipline individually, but it's usually the same... top 30% in the swim, top 5% in the bike and bottom 50% on the run. We'll see though. Overall it was a success and I'm pleased with my race.

Thank you for your help preparing for this one.

An interesting note, I just found my results for this race in 2004. First of all I raced Clydesdale division. I finished 686th overall, and my time was 1:45:43. Not too shabby, I shaved 17 minutes off. I think losing 100 lbs might have helped too.

Edited by bubba76819 2007-07-08 9:03 PM
2007-07-09 11:42 AM
in reply to: #876669

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
bubba76819 - 2007-07-08 6:30 PM

Hey Danny, I have a post-race update...

Jay,

Excellent race ! Way to go !!

I looked for you in wave 3, but didn't see you.  I yelled "Bubba" a few times, but got a lot of interesting looks!! 

Great job on the swim and bike especially.  Bummer on the T2 mishap...I hate when that stuff happens.  Do you think it was a result of trying to decrease your transition times, organization, or just a slip up?  I am so anal about laying everthing out so as not to forget stuff that it gets ridiculous.   I saw some people wearing their race belts and bibs under their wetsuits..I'm not sure I would recomend that though.

Would a hand towel, rolled up socks, or baby powder have helped with the sock problem?  

Anyhow, great race!  Hope that toes heals up soon.

Danny 

2007-07-09 12:00 PM

User image

Regular

I was in the water almost until they sent us off.  I hate standing on the beach 

I had the race belt laid out right there next to my shoes, but just left it there...

I thought about baby powder once I got there, and even walked around looking for someone that had any, but no luck.  It was just a mistake.  

Anyway, live and learn.  Thank you again for your help. 

2007-07-10 10:18 AM

User image

Veteran
San Diego CA
Congratulations Bubba!! Great race - you are so fast on that bike!

Just a funny story to start the morning. A few days ago after I finished my run a neighbor called and said "hey, saw you running and you are really looking great!" Could it be my new running skirt? Hmmm. Anyways, yesterday during my run just about in the same spot where my neighbor spotted me, I was thinking about what she said (pat on my own back for working so hard) when- SUDDENLY I tripped over the curb into the street. It just happened to be at 5:00 when there was a huge (stopped) line of traffic waiting for the light. There I was, arms cartheeling, nose nearly touching the ground, lurching into the street. Felt my hip and hamstring muscles go TWANGG!!. Felt my already flushed face get impossibly redder. Gingerly stepped back onto the curb and continued my way (humbly) home. Oh well, tomorrow's a new day and hopefully there were no neighbors that witnessed my "fall from grace."

Happy training and look out for those massive and uneven dangerous curbs (ha-ha)!
2007-07-10 10:25 AM

User image

Regular
That's too funny!  Humbling is good for all of us.  But I bet you looked great anyway.    Have a great day!
2007-07-10 12:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Oh Carol, I hate when that happens! It's always just as that "Looking good ..." thought goes through my mind, too! Humbling is the word. Keeps us honest. My sister and I had a funny experience Friday when we tried to go for our OWS. We drove up to the lake, then drove around it looking for a way to the shore, finally found that. It's $7 to park (ouch!), but we drive down, walk across the picnic area and beach (several families were grilling and looking at us very oddly), wade into the water, look at each other and head straight back to the car. The water was maybe 55 and neither of us had a wetsuit. I was told that some folks swim without, so I figured, I like cold water and I'll be fine. NOT! I guess I'm a wimp!

Great to have you back, Danny. Those will be some nice places to go to for college visits!

Bubba, it sounds like your race mostly went well. I actually change socks in T2 - can't stand to run in wet feet or without. It doesn't take me long to change, but I'm not terribly competitive at this point, either! When I'm down to wanting to shave seconds off my times, I'll start thinking about suffering a little, I guess!

Have a great day everyone!
Trish
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13