Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2007-05-22 4:24 PM
in reply to: #801094

User image

Champion
Butler
Subject: RE: David Gillen's Group - FULL
If you are referring to "The wall" I think 20 is an arbitrary number.  For some it comes earlier for some later.  I have never done a actual marathon, but did a 50K, don' t remember when the wall it but I had knee issues from the beginning.

2007-05-22 4:43 PM
in reply to: #812327

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-22 3:19 PM Hi David, I'm having trouble trying to formulate my training plan(s). I have a marathon plan that isn't too bad, but it calls for increasingly longer runs plus some interval type work and some VO2 max training. Do you keep a long run strictly F2 or do you add a few sprints in there? The BT weight loss deal talks about interval and VO2 training to stimulate metabolism and the seminar people said to stick with F2 75% of the time, so do you stick some faster stuff in to your long runs, or do you keep the long runs easy and do shorter runs faster?? And I don't even know where to look for a century ride training plan. Or do I look at an IM plan and try to follow a lower intensity version of it since I'm training for a marathon, a century and some aquathons (so it's like an IM but in pieces)? A bit overwhelmed here.....help me Obi Wan, you're my only hope

First of all, I'm not a trained coach and I have not designed training plans for anyone other than myself.  So, you can't sue me!

Secondly, I've never followed a strict day-by-day, zone-by-zone, minute-by-minute plan myself.  I prefer a simpler method that places emphasis on key or breakthrough workouts each week rather than a total # of weekly hours.   Since you've agreed to prioritize your century and marathon, obviously your key workouts will be your long rides and runs.   I can help you plan these to get you ready for your A races.  Your other weekly workouts are important but play a supportive role to your long ones.  I can give you some basic guidance on these other workouts, but it will be up to you to plan them down to the minute if you so choose.

I'm getting off work now, and then I'm going to workout, but I've already started designing a basic periodization plan that will have try to get you ready and "peaked" for your century and marathon.  It simply defines when and how long your key, long workouts should be.  Hopefully, I'll finish it tonight or tomorrow AM.

If the rest of you would like me to do something similar for you, please let me know.

2007-05-22 5:04 PM

User image

Expert
Wow~! Super David. Thanks!

K Proudfoot--you uber/ultra marathoner you!! Holy Cats! Didn't even realize there WAS a 30+ mile run! Okay, I definitely see Leadville in your future.....isn't that the run all the way across the desert AND up a mountain????
2007-05-22 5:23 PM

User image

Somerset, England
Pene,

I can add a little colour to 'the wall' in marathon training. Essentially the wall occurs at the point when you use up your glycogen stores completely and the body forces you to slow down and burn fat instead. The feeling is akin to your legs not wishing to go any further and generally feeling like you want to give up. This occurs normally after about 3 hours of continuous running (this does differ slightly from person to person). Can this be avoided? Absolutely and it will be no surprise that a structured training programme will prepare you the best. By gradually increasing your long runs to 18-20 miles you will acclimatise the body to operate over this distance and will increase your glycogen stores, thus prolonging the point at which you could hit the wall. The second way is not to get carried away and start the race too fast. This will use up the glycogen stores more quickly resulting in a greater likelihood of hitting the wall. Finally, taking in some carbohydrate during the race will top up your glycogen stores making you more resistant to the wall although any food intake after 17 or so miles will have no effect as it won't get into your system before you finish. Sports drink or sweets such as jelly babies are ideal.

In terms of race tactics, the key one is to maintain a steady pace througout the course and only speed up after you have safely got past the 20 mile point and are sure you have missed the wall. You will see a lot of people crashing at 18-20 miles but to be honest the most likely causes are inadequate preparation in terms of training miles and starting too fast. Keep it steady, eat and drink little and often and train properly and you will have no problem...... All obvious stuff that David has suggested we apply to the other Tri disciplines.....

As an example, for a recent Marathon, I ran 2 x 20 mile, 1 x 18 mile and 2 x 15 mile training runs. I then ran the race at a very steady 8:30 pace and had no problem at all.... A final thought would be that hitting the wall is also a little psycological in that all runners know that the wall is 'out there' to be hit. By training up to the proper distances you will gain the mental advantage of knowing that your body can deal with the distance and therefore will have greater confidence in missing this pitfall. My longest/most difficult miles during the race were 14-19 as I knew the wall was coming up and I kept checking how I felt. It was only at 20 miles that I knew I had avoided it and could stride for home in confidence.

Hope this helps.
2007-05-22 5:29 PM
in reply to: #810087

Regular
Indiana
dgillen - 2007-05-21 2:36 PM

Managed a pathetically small 1000m in about 25 minutes (with lots of breaks because my lungs didn't seem big enough!). I have been concentrating on slow, relaxed strokes but could do with a few more 'tips' to work on. What would you all say are the top 3 things I should focus on to get my technique beyond that employed by a dog swimming in a lake?

Mike, 1000m in 25 minutes w/ breaks is not bad at all.  And it's really good that you're concentrating on slow and relaxed strokes.  Keep working on your form, before you start worrying about speed and distance. 

Since we all seem to want advice on the swim, I'll try to start putting together some links/advice for it even though I'm far from an expert.  

Stay tuned... 

1000M in 25 minutes is fine. I have been doing 1500M in an hour, concentrating mainly on drills and very little swimming freestyle.
2007-05-22 9:02 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

Dave,

Question.  I am thinking about doing a 50 miler next year (probably Grassland).  I believe you did that race at somepoint.  I was just wandering how much running did you do at the time?  Were you only running or doing tri cross training?  What was the longest run you did to train?  How many days aweek did you train?  I figure if I do an HIM in September I would have decent base to do it.  I would proably do that instead of Rockledge in November.  Just work my mileage up to a decent amount and that way I could go back to tri's next year without missing much.

Thanks - Ken

2007-05-22 9:07 PM
in reply to: #812518

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

I'm getting off work now, and then I'm going to workout, but I've already started designing a basic periodization plan that will have try to get you ready and "peaked" for your century and marathon. It simply defines when and how long your key, long workouts should be. Hopefully, I'll finish it tonight or tomorrow AM.

Pene, I've created a first draft of a periodization plan for you here(You should have also gotten an email "invite to collaborate" on this spreadsheet using Google!) Your situation is unique in that you're trying train for both a century and marathon almost at the same time.  That is NOT unlike IM training!  2 main things I was trying to accomplish with this plan:

1. I didn't want to increase your long runs to much while you are trying to peak for your century, but
  2. Since there are only 8 weeks between your century and marathon, you'll need to start building a running base before your century.

This numbers listed for the key workouts are miles, but you can also train based on time.  The key features of this plans are:

1. It slowly builds up your aerobic endurance by increasing your weekly long workouts, and total weekly volume.  No big jumps up in distance from one week to the next.
  2. It incorporates the common 3 weeks on, 1 week off pattern of periodization.  This will help you recover and absorb you long weeks.
  3. It attempts to have you peaking for your A races.

Obviously, this is just a first draft and I hope that you and I will fine tune this over the coming weeks and months.  And as I mentioned previously, this is a "macro-plan" over an entire season.  For a more micro view, we should look at typical training week for you in general and then find out how we can fit the key workouts around the rest of your life. 

David 

2007-05-22 9:10 PM
in reply to: #812572

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

PocketRocket - 2007-05-22 5:23 PM Pene, I can add a little colour to 'the wall' in marathon training. Essentially the wall occurs at the point when you use up your glycogen stores completely and the body forces you to slow down and burn fat instead. The feeling is akin to your legs not wishing to go any further and generally feeling like you want to give up. This occurs normally after about 3 hours of continuous running (this does differ slightly from person to person). Can this be avoided? Absolutely and it will be no surprise that a structured training programme will prepare you the best. By gradually increasing your long runs to 18-20 miles you will acclimatise the body to operate over this distance and will increase your glycogen stores, thus prolonging the point at which you could hit the wall. The second way is not to get carried away and start the race too fast. This will use up the glycogen stores more quickly resulting in a greater likelihood of hitting the wall. Finally, taking in some carbohydrate during the race will top up your glycogen stores making you more resistant to the wall although any food intake after 17 or so miles will have no effect as it won't get into your system before you finish. Sports drink or sweets such as jelly babies are ideal. In terms of race tactics, the key one is to maintain a steady pace througout the course and only speed up after you have safely got past the 20 mile point and are sure you have missed the wall. You will see a lot of people crashing at 18-20 miles but to be honest the most likely causes are inadequate preparation in terms of training miles and starting too fast. Keep it steady, eat and drink little and often and train properly and you will have no problem...... All obvious stuff that David has suggested we apply to the other Tri disciplines..... As an example, for a recent Marathon, I ran 2 x 20 mile, 1 x 18 mile and 2 x 15 mile training runs. I then ran the race at a very steady 8:30 pace and had no problem at all.... A final thought would be that hitting the wall is also a little psycological in that all runners know that the wall is 'out there' to be hit. By training up to the proper distances you will gain the mental advantage of knowing that your body can deal with the distance and therefore will have greater confidence in missing this pitfall. My longest/most difficult miles during the race were 14-19 as I knew the wall was coming up and I kept checking how I felt. It was only at 20 miles that I knew I had avoided it and could stride for home in confidence. Hope this helps.

This is all excellent advice. I couldn't have said it better myself.  Thanks, Mike! 

2007-05-22 9:26 PM
in reply to: #812790

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
kproudfoot - 2007-05-22 9:02 PM

Dave,

Question. I am thinking about doing a 50 miler next year (probably Grassland). I believe you did that race at somepoint. I was just wandering how much running did you do at the time? Were you only running or doing tri cross training? What was the longest run you did to train? How many days aweek did you train? I figure if I do an HIM in September I would have decent base to do it. I would proably do that instead of Rockledge in November. Just work my mileage up to a decent amount and that way I could go back to tri's next year without missing much.

Thanks - Ken

I did do the Grasslands 50 miler this year as my first ultra.   I was primarily running in Jan and Feb as I hate riding in the cold.  I would ride on nice days, but nothing over 30 miles.  My longest training run was 29 miles out on the Grasslands course.  I also did the Cross Timbers trail marathon as a training run.  Very hilly!  I probably ran 4-5 times a week on average.  

I didn't really decide in earnest to do this race until around the start of the year.  So, I only had about 3 months to train, and my longest run when I was starting was probably around 13.  So, my training was far from optimal, but I was hoping to "parlay" my aerobic endurance left over from my IM.  The one thing I tried to do was run a few "doubles" where I'd run long on both Sat. and Sun.  I did 2-3 weekends where I'd run ~ 4hrs on Saturday, and then do ~2hrs on Sun.  Tough. Tough!  My toughest weekend was when I took off a Friday and ran 10 miles, then ran 29 on Sat, and then 10 another 10 on Sun = almost 50 miles over 3 days!   

Just work my mileage up to a decent amount and that way I could go back to tri's next year without missing much.

That's exactly what I thought, and why I chose an early spring ultra. 

But, Ken, let's get you through Praireman before you start worrying about another ultra, alright!? 

2007-05-22 9:39 PM
in reply to: #812819

User image

Champion
Butler

But, Ken, let's get you through Praireman before you start worrying about another ultra, alright!? 

You are correct, but I am an accountant for a bank so I like to plan ahead.  Trust me I don't plan on doing much training until after Praireman.  Thanks for the input.  See you tomorrow.
2007-05-23 7:22 AM

User image

Expert
Many, Many Thanks for the help, David! I would have spent 7 hours with pen and paper making scribbly messes and giving myself a headache trying to come up with such a plan. And my fear was that I'd either OVER prepare and wear myself out completely, or lie to myself and UNDER prepare. Or emphasize one thing more than the other and totally fail with one. I know, you can't fail with this. But I think you get my drift. This will help a ton and I appreciate so much your taking your time to help. I did set up a google account, so that's all set! Now I'm looking at finding a girl to help with babysitting a few times a week so I can get out there and practice managing saddle soreness, etc.!! I may have one that will be willing. And my dear Mum is going to take my three kiddos for a WEEK after my first tri (and she'll watch my fledgling effort that day). So, I'll be able to kick it into gear right away and get some miles under my belt.

PocketRocket--many thanks to you for sharing about the Wall! Wonder if that's what Pink Floyd had in mind???? Ha ha ha.....well, we do use the term "brick"! So, my answer is to prepare, prepare, prepare! got it! Nice to know not everyone gets to experience the wall. Just figured everyone HAD to. Also nice to know not to eat after mile 17. But....I'm so slow, that my marathon will likely take MUCH longer than 3 hours. More like 5.5 I think. Which is pitiful, but that's the way it goes when you are 40 and have no engine built. Mine is run by tiny oompa loompa's who manually paddle me around currently. Have to upgrade VERY soon

2007-05-23 8:41 AM

User image

Mesquite, Texas
My two cents on the "wall". It goes without saying that everyone is different, but my best results have been when I go long in training at least 3 times leading up to the marathon or beyond and most importantly since you have 3 chances, to try things out as far as hydration, what and when (before the run, during the run) and nutrition as well. My biggest mistakes have been eating things I hadn't tried in training and then eating them during mary. IT DID NOT SIT WELL if you know what I mean. I also think that stressing about it has something to do with it. My first one, I was really worried and bam here the wall came. The second one and beyond, I figured, the the Kenya that won was probably on the plane going home by time I was going to finish so I decided to just have fun along the way, not stress about possible upcoming problems, I enjoyed it more and felt good all the way around.
2007-05-23 9:06 AM

User image

Expert
Thanks Armydad! Appreciate all advice here. And yes, I DO stress over everything!!!! I have these subliminal running endurance CD's and an asthma hypnosis CD and plan to listen while training. Also sublim bike and swim CD's and even pain management hypnosis and faster recovery from biking and training hypnosis CD's. Whatever it takes! The mind has a BUNCH to do with performance, so at least I have tools to help me with the mental part. Even if I just think they might work....... So, these stories help, too. Nothing like the experience of others! I imagine the Kenya's will be on their second trip around the world and doing another mary somewhere by the time I cross that line, but at least I'll cross it....cuz I'm STUBBORN!
2007-05-23 12:56 PM

User image

Somerset, England
Armydad has hit on an excellent point P. Before you race you should have tried absolutely everything out before, even down to the exact clothing you intend to wear (socks particularly important but should include underclothing as well) and the food/drink you intend to consume. Find out what the organisers are going to put out on the course, is it water only? Gatorade? Once you know, train to this (sports drink much better than just water)unless you really don't like what they will offer in which case stick to water. Don't forget to watch where you chafe during training and apply vaseline. I would recommend applying this between your toes before the start as well as under your arms/thighs etc. The bottom line is you should not be surprised by ANYTHING on the day that you could have controlled before. Oh and one final thing, if the crowd are offering sweets etc, don't take them! One unpleasant reaction to a well meaning gift could ruin your day and make all your hard work training redundant!!!
2007-05-23 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Vaseline between my toes.....Oh, My! Never in a billion years would have thought of that! Maybe we could compile enough info here to write a book?

So, how many miles should your running shoes have on them before you get new ones? AND--how many miles should you put on a new pair to break them in before the big race?????

I think I'll have to put in my logs when I buy a new pair so I can track the mileage! Maybe BT should put in a place to write that date and a reminder on your little calendar when to buy new??? I swear I need a secretary to help manage things in my personal life as it is! And a maid, three nannies, a butler, a chauffeur, a gardener, a mechanic, a fix-it around the house person and....a cook! Not to mention an accountant that even puts me on a strict budget, but allows me enough for all the tri stuff I want/need. In short, I need to win the lottery........

Well, since I'm clearly the newest newbie here, keep the valuable info coming--I love it! And thanks all for putting up with my stupid questions.
2007-05-23 1:27 PM
in reply to: #813789

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-23 1:11 PM Vaseline between my toes.....Oh, My! Never in a billion years would have thought of that!

Pene, be glad your not a man b/c we get to put vaseline on our nipples too. I didn't know this before my first marathon and I had 2 blood streams down my white shirt at the end from it moving up and down ever so slightly and chafing my nipples. Gross, and very painful!

So, how many miles should your running shoes have on them before you get new ones? AND--how many miles should you put on a new pair to break them in before the big race?????

Most people will say replace your shoes after 300-500 miles. This is a wide range, but it varies quite a bit from runner to runner. It's better to replace them a little too early than too late however.

I'd recommend about 20-30 miles on a new pair before race. Ideally, you should do at least 1 or 2 long runs in new shoes before a longer race.

Edited by dgillen 2007-05-23 1:28 PM

2007-05-23 2:46 PM
in reply to: #813789

User image

Champion
Butler

phoenixrising404 - 2007-05-23 1:11 PM  I think I'll have to put in my logs when I buy a new pair so I can track the mileage! Maybe BT should put in a place to write that date and a reminder on your little calendar when to buy new??? I swear I need a secretary to help manage things in my personal life as it is!

I have also heard 300-500 miles or 3 to 6 months.  I have heard people say to use a sharpie to write the date you bought your shoes on the inside of them.  Then replace in 6 months max.  You can use bt training log for miles run on the shoes.  I agree that you should not try new things on race day, that being said I have done it but luckily I have a stomach that will take pretty much anything.  I try to vary what I do in training that way I will find if there is anything I can't take as opposed to what I like best since I don't feel like contacting every race director to find out what they will provide.  There are people who will only drink a certain flavor sport drink because that is what is on the course.  To me they are all pretty much the same.

2007-05-23 2:48 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
As far as chafing goes, I am pretty lucky there to.  I will use body glide if I remember but rarely chafe any more.  I did when I first started training but once I healed up after the first few times no troubles.  I think the key is finding clothes that work for you.  For me no cotten under garments.  I have to use something moisture wicking, underarmour underwear or running shorts with built in lining, bike shorts, etc. My "nips" have never been a problem either. 
2007-05-23 8:01 PM

User image

Expert
Well, Guys, tonight was a mental training night. Watched Rocky Balboa! Next on the list is The Pursuit of Happyness with Will Smith (no I didn't spell it wrong). Maybe it's the boxer in me, or maybe it's because Rocky is basically a love story, but I cried through the whole thing. Guess you could say "there's some stuff in my basement", too.

I was pondering what triathlon has done for me. Because there are days when you wonder if you really should be spending all this time, energy and money on tri's. What do you really get from it? My answer is that I get some self esteem. I'm choosing to do something I never thought I could ever do, and I'm not too darn bad at it, as it turns out. I have no delusions of winning anything. But I will hold my own. And I will hold my head up. I see that with better self worth, I am able to be a better doctor. When the patients ask me for my opinion, I can give it to them with more authority. When a particularly nasty patient wants to yell at my secretary because she (the patient) misunderstood her appointment time and had to wait a whole 10 minutes for me to finish up with another legitimately scheduled patient, I now have no problem telling her to stop abusing my secretary verbally and that she is most welcome to find another doctor to serve her better! A year ago, I would have tried to kiss her butt instead. And then hate myself for doing so.

Another thing I've noticed is that my kids look at me with more respect. I respect myself more, and so I can command it from them. Not in a fear sort of way, just in a "my mom is Tuf so we respect her" sort of way. It's a far cry from a few years ago when my oldest boy actually punched ME in the nose and made it bleed because I "made" his daddy go away!

I carry myself differently now, and the community can see that. I'm no longer that poor chiropractor lady that got totally screwed over by her lousy ex and is left with all his bills AND three kids to raise alone. Now, I'm Pene, the doctor turned triathlete/boxer that looks great these days and is doing a pretty darn good job with those kids of hers. And isn't it wonderful to see her so much happier without what's his face dragging her down!

And when there are those days that seem to go on forever and I wonder if I'll have the energy to keep working so hard and get my kids off to college and not lose my mind, I just remember that I can swim in a lake and not drown, bike over some killer hills, and run for a long time, even if it's not fast (yet). Not to mention I can do 100 pushups! I have enough endurance to get through life.

I love Rocky's line to his kid: "It's not how hard you can punch, it's how many punches you can take and still move forward".

Here's to moving forward!!!
2007-05-23 8:20 PM
in reply to: #813826

Regular
Indiana
dgillen - 2007-05-23 2:27 PM

Most people will say replace your shoes after 300-500 miles. This is a wide range, but it varies quite a bit from runner to runner. It's better to replace them a little too early than too late however.

I'd recommend about 20-30 miles on a new pair before race. Ideally, you should do at least 1 or 2 long runs in new shoes before a longer race.

I agree with this. Two weeks before my first 1/2 marathon I got this big idea to change to my new Brooks Adrenaline 7's that I just bought (no more Adrenaline 6's which I love). I did three consecutive training runs with these and developed a sore right hip and knee. I immediately switched back to my used pair of 6's but unfortunately the damage was done and therefore affected my training for the Indy mini. I had to rest the entire week prior to the mini. I knew better, as they say nothing new on race day or prior to it.
2007-05-23 9:05 PM

User image

Champion
Butler

All,

I meet our fearless leader for a swim tonite at Grapevine Lake (For those of you not from Dallas, it is a local lake for us) for a swim.  He was extremely helpful in my 2nd OWS attempt.  He would swim by me a bump me to get me used to the pushing in race.  Although neither one of us was tearing up the water we swam about 1.5 miles at about a 2:00/100 yard pace without killing ourself.  I definately feel better going into my first race on Monday.

We are lucky to have someone with his knowledge.

2007-05-23 9:45 PM

User image

Expert
Well, just as soon as I win that lottery, I'll be down there on the next plane to get some practice in wit'chall! (actually, I'm pretty sure I couldn't keep up with you guys, but it would be fun to hold your water bottles and just WATCH and learn!!)

I do agree, though. We've got a keeper! Thanks El Capitano for taking us all on!! And thanks all for all your posts! I've learned a ton already!
2007-05-23 10:07 PM

User image

Expert
Hah! Someone with the initials KSH just left me an inspire me message that says we CAN track when to change shoes on here! You go to control panel, click on equipment tracker, put in shoes and then you can click on shoes every time you run to track mileage. Pretty cool. Will definitely check it out. And KSH--thanks!!!
2007-05-24 7:26 AM
in reply to: #814508

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX
All,

I meet our fearless leader for a swim tonite at Grapevine Lake (For those of you not from Dallas, it is a local lake for us) for a swim. He was extremely helpful in my 2nd OWS attempt. He would swim by me a bump me to get me used to the pushing in race. Although neither one of us was tearing up the water we swam about 1.5 miles at about a 2:00/100 yard pace without killing ourself. I definately feel better going into my first race on Monday.

Thanks for the nice words, Ken.  I was great to meet and swim with you.   You did awesome, and like you said I think you could do an OLY tomorrow and do well.  And you have especially have nothing to worry about on Monday.  Now that I know you can swim well, I think you're "sand-bagging" a little by doing the First Tri!   So, kick butt and hopefully you'll place well.  Above all, have fun and enjoy the trip to Austin.  It's a great city.  BTW, I read some of the posts on your "What to do in Austin thread?" and they all sound good.  Your son would love Barton Springs and you could squeeze in a short swim there too.  Bring your wetsuit at it'll be a lot colder the Grapevine!

Can't wait to hear the details. 

2007-05-24 7:31 AM
in reply to: #814763

User image

Champion
Butler
dgillen - 2007-05-24 7:26 AM
All,

I meet our fearless leader for a swim tonite at Grapevine Lake (For those of you not from Dallas, it is a local lake for us) for a swim. He was extremely helpful in my 2nd OWS attempt. He would swim by me a bump me to get me used to the pushing in race. Although neither one of us was tearing up the water we swam about 1.5 miles at about a 2:00/100 yard pace without killing ourself. I definately feel better going into my first race on Monday.

Thanks for the nice words, Ken.  I was great to meet and swim with you.   You did awesome, and like you said I think you could do an OLY tomorrow and do well.  And you have especially have nothing to worry about on Monday.  Now that I know you can swim well, I think you're "sand-bagging" a little by doing the First Tri!   So, kick butt and hopefully you'll place well.  Above all, have fun and enjoy the trip to Austin.  It's a great city.  BTW, I read some of the posts on your "What to do in Austin thread?" and they all sound good.  Your son would love Barton Springs and you could squeeze in a short swim there too.  Bring your wetsuit at it'll be a lot colder the Grapevine!

Can't wait to hear the details. 

I definately could the the sprint or oly at Captex, I just want to use it more for the swim and transitions.  The bike is waaay to short though.  If I don't place in top 10 I will probably be disappointed based on times from the last 2 years.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » David Gillen's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 36