BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2008-02-04 12:12 PM
in reply to: #1184254

Kansas City
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - Room for More (Re-Opened) !!!
Thanks for the encouragement! Glad to be a part of the group!

2008-02-04 12:26 PM
in reply to: #1186162

Kansas City
Dennis,

Thanks for the good words!

I plan to make my first tri experience at the Heritage Park Sprint Tri in Kansas City on Sunday, May 18th. I've started using the BT couch-to-sprint program and have had some successes along with some challenges! I have a difficult schedule to work around...I am in the banking industry and have, of late, spent long hours at the office. As such, I'm trying to get myself into a morning schedule where I can have more consistency.

I've recently visited Michael Pate's website and am excited to check out the book.

I got myself a bike this weekend: '07 Trek 2100 and am pumped to get out on some group rides!

I'm a very weak swimmer. I've been doing some pool work but my body position is poor and I'm really having a tough time with endurance in the pool. Any suggestions?
2008-02-04 7:15 PM
in reply to: #1192480

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Subject: RE: What's in a meter?
3guysdad - 2008-02-03 7:46 PM

Txhokie - 2008-02-03 10:39 AM

And I cannot stand the Cowboys!!

A gentle reminder that I-35W (northbound, please) would be the fastest way out of the state. Otherwise I-20 to Louisiana or if you prefer Arkansas (?) head out I-30.

Surprised that you left out jumping the border south?

How about them Giants!!!
2008-02-06 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1191766

Florida
dhyte - 2008-02-03 3:23 AM

LadyGator - 2008-02-02 3:16 PM Those silly shin splints just won't go away. So I'm making myself walk whenever I feel them starting to get irritated. I figure after the 15K in March I'm going to ease up a good bit on the running and try to let them actually heal up before my race in May.

Those shins splints can be stubborn, hang in there !

- may keep your runs under 30 minutes the next 2 weeks?

- try to walk for a mile before running.

- try to do some stretching after the walking, before the run ( toe raises while standing on heels on edge of a curb or stairs - this will isolate to the front of the shin).

- try icing multiple times a day (even on non-running days. When I was having shin problems I bought 2 neoprene shin sleeves that have a freezable insert. They really helped alot.

http://www.medplususa.com/list-product_info-p-Shin_Ice_Shin_Splint_Relief_Small_Black-pid-3248.html

I've been regularly stretching and icing both shins 3-4 times a day, even on days I don't run. I can notice it has been helping as I can run a little longer each time before they start to bother me. The stretches I've been doing are:
1. Calf raises
2. Toe raises
3. Towel bundle ... using your toes bring a towel towards you on the floor

3guysdad - 2008-02-03 8:57 PM

I had some shin splint problems when I decreased my volume dramatically after a half marathon in 2007. Something that worked for me was a pointer I read somewhere about intentionally pushing off your big toe. And I mean, intentionally. Try it walking first. Make sure you're not rolling your ankle to make it happen; rather that your big toe is the last point on your foot that touches the ground and you push a little bit harder off the toe. It made a difference for me within a couple of weeks. As usual, I'm not a doctor....

I did try that the other day on the treadmill. And I didn't really notice too much from my shins bothering me. So it seemed to help, I'll try it again. Thanks for the tip

I did finally get word about my job Friday, I'll be starting on Feb 19th. I also joined the Y last week, so I have access to a pool now, as well as a good gym to workout in.

And today I decided weightloss is now more of a goal than I thought it was originally. I knew I had gained some weight over the past year, but I haven't been on a scale in ages... until today. Tomorrow I'm getting my body comp checked, and I'm sure that'll be way higher than I'd like it to be. So I'm on my way to try to lose at least 10lbs. If I could hit 15lbs that'd be awesome.
2008-02-07 11:39 PM
in reply to: #1104346

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Subject: RE: dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!!

Hi Guys,

Sorry I've been AWOL most of the week - it's been a little hectic. I did an all nighter for work on Monday, and it messed up my entire week.

I managed to run yesterday and today, so it felt pretty good.  I may run  Half Marathon on Sunday if I can rest up before then...

I'll be on this board quite a bit tomorrow throughout the day. 

Danny 

2008-02-08 12:01 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Interesting little article I read this morning.

I keyed into the last part regarding time management. Several of you have indicated that this is a huge challenge area (due to busy schedules, etc). I have been riding/running at lunchtime frequently. I ran home from work last night, and rode my back back in today (with some dead legs...).

What are some examples/suggestions you all have for efficient time management (or good ideas to "sneak" some extra workouts in) ??

http://www.d3multisport.com/newsletter/jan2008_2.htm

D3 Pro Tips: Five Tips for Getting the Most out of your Training Time

For triathletes of all levels finding enough time to train represents one of the biggest challenges in our sport. Realistically most athletes don’t have 20 to 30 hours per week of training to reach the top ranks. Trying to train for three sports, work, spend time with the family will leave no time for anything else. Why do we hear of so many top age groupers able to compete at such a high level with such limited schedules? Here are five tips that will help you see the most return on your available training hours.

No junk miles. We have all heard this before, but what does this mean? Junk miles are any training that is not race specific. For example: a six or 7 hour ride when you plan to ride 5 hours in your next IM is not a race specific workout. A more effective option to consider might be a 4 to 5 hour ride with some IM specific intensity. For running, a long set of 400’s on the track may not be as beneficial to an IM athlete as a tempo run or mile repeats with a shorter rest interval.

The other type of junk miles may include too much time spent in zone 1 (lowest intensity). For an athlete with limited time it may be better to swim an hour than ride an hour easy in zone 1.

Have a weekly plan structured around key workouts. Whatever your race distance there will be specific key workouts that your training will be planned around. Each workout should have a goal and purpose. Ask yourself before each workout and when planning workouts what will be accomplished from that session.

A weekly plan may include a long ride, a long run, a bike intensity session, a run intensity session and swim sessions. If you can manage to hit these key workouts you will see the largest gain in fitness. These workouts (as few as 6) may only consume 8 to 12 hours of a week, but will provide you with 80 to 90% of your fitness. All the other workouts are icing on the cake and if there is no time for them it won’t make a big difference in your race fitness.

Keep a daily log of all your workouts. A training record is a helpful tool when looking back to see what works and what doesn’t work for you. Erase any workouts from your previous training periods that don’t produce results. If in doubt throw it out is a good motto when planning workouts. If you have had a stellar race it’s helpful to look back to the preceding weeks to see what you did. Having a coach to look at your program through someone else’s eyes may help trim the fat from your total training hours.

Intensity over volume will bring fitness to a higher level than volume over intensity. Don’t throw volume out the door, but if you do all or most of your cycling at 15 to 18 m.p.h. you won’t race at 22 to 24 m.p.h.

Time management. Can you run to the pool instead of drive? Or ride to work, run at lunch. These may not be options for everyone but it does help to free up some time otherwise spent in transit to and from workouts. I know some triathletes that ride or run to their kid’s soccer games or other activities. If you can learn to be creative with your training, the possibilities are endless.

With the right balance of intensity and endurance training in your program, you’ll see some great results in 2008! Good luck!

Edited by dhyte 2008-02-08 12:02 PM

2008-02-08 2:50 PM

User image

Regular
Burleson, TX
Thanks for the great info Danny. I too take advantage of my lunch everyday to run or bike. Have to get up at 5:30 am to swim in order to get it in my schedule.

I'm over half way through my 12 week beginner sprint program. The BT program had me take it easy this week and it really helped in my progress. I woke up this morning feeling like a new man with no sore legs and shoulders. Went to the pool and busted out my fastest swim time of 300 yards taking 5 minutes. 300 yards is the length of my first tri. After that I did a TT distance of 500 yards which took 8 min. 35 sec., making my TT 1 min. 43 sec per 100 yards. There is no way I could have done this 6 weeks ago. It feels good to put in all this hard work and seeing it pay off. Cannot wait for my first race.

Good luck this weekend if you run the marathon Danny.

Hope everyone else is hanging in there.

2008-02-09 11:15 AM
in reply to: #1201792

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Txhokie - 2008-02-08 12:50 PM  Went to the pool and busted out my fastest swim time of 300 yards taking 5 minutes. 300 yards is the length of my first tri. After that I did a TT distance of 500 yards which took 8 min. 35 sec., making my TT 1 min. 43 sec per 100 yards.  

Congrats Brian, those are some excellent times !!  Sounds like you are really kicking butt.

I would continue to build your intensity/volume, and also start doing occasional BRICK workouts (multiple disciplines consecutively).  Maybe do some biking at the gym, or treadmill run immediately after swimming.  You want to find that "sweet spot" where you are swimming as fast as possible, without expending too much energy that you will need for bike and run segments.

Good Work !! 

2008-02-09 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1201792

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Txhokie - 2008-02-08 12:50 PM Good luck this weekend if you run the marathon Danny. Hope everyone else is hanging in there.

So I did pick up a free entry to the San Diegiuto Half Marathon on Sunday for free (my friend is not using his entry).  

I wasn't planning on doing this race, and it's very hilly for a half marathon, but there is supposed to be a great post race breakfast and beer garden.  The race is only about 5 miles from my house so its hard to pass up. 

I hope everyone is getting out this weekend and racking up some good training and having some fun !

Danny 

2008-02-09 11:21 AM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hydration stuff:

I have been looking for some articles I had, that were written By Kim Mueller (a local San Diegan, Tri Club Member, Sports Dietician) that are very good and have helped me in the past.

I can't find my copy of the article (still looking), but Kim has been published in many magazines/locations.

Here is an example of some of her info on the subject:

http://www.berkeleyrunningcompany.com/Staff/TipsandTricks/Hydration/tabid/159/Default.aspx

Sport Science: Maintaining Hydration And Peak Run Performance

A Relevant Issue As The Thermometer Drops?

By Kim Mueller, MS, RD, Sports Nutritionist

During the fall and winter months, athletes can be tricked into performance declines associated with dehydration. As the cooling effect of air and rain sometimes mask our sense of fluid loss, many athletes fail to take into account the significant amount of water loss that is still occurring. The risk is compounded when runners layer their body with excessive clothing, thereby increasing fluid loss. In fact, fluid deficits of 3-8% of total body mass have been reported in individuals working in cold environments. So, despite many athletes perception that dehydration is a problem that exists only during the summer months, it is quite possible to run yourself dry as the thermometer drops. Join me as we explore water’s role in human performance and address how you can maintain peak performance through proper hydration.

First, let’s start with water’s role in the human body:

Water is the medium for metabolic activity. In order to properly metabolize the calories ingested during activity, it is essential to maintain euhydration. Even slight dehydration, let’s say 1% (1.5 lbs for a 150 pound athlete), can contribute up to a 5% decline in your metabolic efficiency. What does this mean? Well, for one, the calories ingested, especially solid calories, will be left in your stomach, leading to premature muscle fatigue (rather than being distributed to the working muscles). Any fluids you ingest will collect in your stomach until a proper concentration is achieved for optimal digestion. This leads to a shortage of fluid being directed to your working muscles and consequent muscle cramping. When completing such jarring activities as running, all the food stuff and fluids left in your stomach will be jiggling around leading to uncomfortable side stitches, nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea. Worst of all, relieving some of your stomach issues may present a challenge when a bathroom is void from your beloved trail run!

Water is a lubricant for our muscles and joints. Noticeable muscle aches/pains/cramps can occur from the slightest bit of dehydration and become debilitating as dehydration becomes more severe. For every percent drop in hydration, expect a 3-4% decline in your muscle performance; in runner’s terms, this could potentially add an extra 2:48 onto a 40 minute 10k runner’s overall time. Furthermore, a decline in muscle function often diminishes your running form, which can elevate the already compounded risk for muscle injury when training/racing in cold environments.

Water helps cool the body. Water can be compared to the coolant used in our cars. When the coolant runs low, our cars overheat – this can happen in the summer or the winter. During exercise, blood flow to your skin increases as a means to evaporate the internal heat generated (i.e. “sweating&rdquo. An athlete may have a flushed appearance, which can be masked as a “wind-burn” in colder conditions. As dehydration becomes more severe, the process of sweating becomes increasingly compromised, causing core body temperature to elevate. The athlete may get the “chills” when the heat generated is not efficiently being released from the body. If ignored, dehydration can lead to frostbite, heat exhaustion or heat stroke, and potentially death.

Table 1 explores the common symptoms experienced by athletes as well as the estimated performance drops at various levels of dehydration.

Table 1: Dehydration & Heat Stress
% Body Weight Loss Estimated % Performance Drop Normal Temperatures High Temperatures and/or Strenuous Exercise
1-2% 5-10% Impaired Judgment, Irritability, Headache, Muscular Aches Sweating, Flushed Face
3% 15% Thirst Reflex Initiated, Sense of Fatigue, Tight Sore Muscles, Increased effects of 1-2% Symptoms Profuse Sweating, Noticeably (to others) Impaired Judgment and Confusion
4-6% 25-35% Profound Thirst, Dizziness, Muscle Cramps, Weakness, Fatigue Very Irritable, May Act Irrational, Pale, Severe Headache Especially at Base of Skull
7-8% 40-45% Nausea, Vomiting, Severe Vertigo or Dizziness, Somewhat Irrational, Severe Muscle Cramps, Staggering Cold, Clammy Skin even though Core Body Temperature may be 104 o F or higher, May Have Stopped Sweating
9-10% 50-55% Collapse, Very Irrational, Unconscious Skin Pale, Cold and Clammy, Stopped Sweating, Muscles Tense & Contracted, Pupils Normal or Dilated, Pulse Weak and Rapid, Low Blood Pressure, Respiration Shallow
8-10%+ 45-55% Heat Stroke *Skin temperature may be 102-104 o F and the core temperature may be over 108 o F which, if prolonged, will lead to kidney failure and death. Heat Stroke Skin Red, Dry, & Hot, Sweating has Stopped, Severe Headache, Extremely Weak, Numbness and Tingling in Extremities, Muscles Tense and Convulsive, Confusion, Dark Urine (if any), Pupils Contracted, Pulse Strong and Bounding, Rapid/Shallow/Labored Respiration, Delirious, Unconscious, Comatose

In order to protect against these performance declines, I offer the following hydration tips:

1. Don’t wait until you’re thirsty to start drinking. Perhaps the biggest mistake endurance athletes make is waiting until they are thirsty to start drinking, which generally signals a 3% level of dehydration and up to a 15% decline in maximal performance capacity. To make matters worse, the winter chill can actually further alter thirst sensation by as much as 40% due to a physiological response that occurs when the body does not feel hot. Unfortunately, failure to drink outside of a “thirst window” will not only lead to declines in your physical performance but can also affect your thermoregulatory mechanisms; this ultimately elevates the risk of frostbite, making fluids, especially water, equally important in cold weather as in the heat.

To prevent dehydration, it is best to sip on fluids throughout the day until urine flows clear to pale yellow. Daily fluid needs vary depending on your body composition and total weight. The following equation can be used to estimate daily fluid needs in ounces:

Body weight (in pounds) / 2 = Daily Fluid Needs in Ounces

Fluids will be absorbed more efficiently if taken in incremental fashions during the day. You should aim at consuming ½-1 cup of fluid per waking, non-exercising hour during the day. Note that these fluids should be non-caffeinated, as caffeine levels beyond 300 mg (the equivalent of ~2 cups of coffee) tends to increase gastric emptying of fluids.

2. Top off your fluid tank before you start. The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends that athletes fortify themselves with 16 ounces of non-carbonated and non-caffeinated fluids for every hour prior to exercise. If you have trouble holding fluids, try sipping on a sports drink containing sodium for the last hour prior to the event. The sodium in the sports drink will help increase absorption of the water into your cells, protect against hyponatremia, and also prevent muscle cramps. When preparing for a race in the cold, you may consider alternative “warm-up” fluids like hot chocolate as means to help warm your core before taking the frigid plunge.

3. Know your sweat rate as means to keep up with fluid needs during training/racing. Determination of sweat rate is actually quite easy, but it entails the maintenance of a log monitoring the following items:

Case Study

Mary is a competitive ultra-marathon runner from Canada who constantly battles cramping and nausea during her long runs. She admits to not being a fan of carrying anything while running and therefore often fails to take any fluids in during her long runs. She insists that this is not a problem as Canadian air is often cool. To find out, we measured her sweat rate during a recent marathon training run.

Type of Workout: 4 hour run at 75% max heart rate

Pre Workout Naked Weight: 125 pounds

Post Workout Naked Weight: 116 pounds

Total Fluids Ingested During Workout: 32 ounces (2 water bottles)

To Determine Mary’s Hourly Sweat Rate:

1. Pre workout weight (125) – Post workout weight (116) = 9 lbs
2. 9 lbs x 16 ounces fluid per lb lost = 144 ounces
3. 144 ounces + fluids ingested (32 ounces) = 176 ounces
4. 176 ounces / total duration of workout (4 hours) = 44 ounces

Mary’s 9-lb weight loss represented a 7% level of dehydration, which is why such symptoms as nausea and cramping have occurred during the later stages of her runs. To counteract these profound losses, Mary’s goal is to consume 1.3 liters of fluid per hour. Note that many cannot physically absorb this amount so Mary should gradually increase her fluids to a liter of fluid per hour, breaking her fluid intake into 5-7 ounce increments every 10 minutes to allow for optimal absorption. Mary was encouraged to plan her run routes around known water stops, practice carrying fluids in either a water bottle or Fuel Belt, and carry money in her shoes to allow for pit stops at convenience stores. After all, the performance declines associated with dehydration will be much larger than that seen because of the extra weight of any fluids being carried.

o	Pre-Workout Naked Weight
o Post-Workout Naked Weight
*Make sure to take naked weight
as those sweater winter clothes can add a hefty load!
o Total Duration of Workout
o Workout Intensity
o Weather Conditions
o Volume of Fluid Ingested during Workout

Each pound lost during your workout is equivalent to 16 additional fluid ounces (~1 water bottle) you should have added to your fluid regimen. To determine hourly fluid needs, subtract your post workout weight from pre-workout weight and multiply by 16. This gives you an idea of how many additional fluids you should consume during the duration of your workout. Add this number to volume of fluid ingested during your workout to determine your total fluid needs. Divide total fluid needs by total duration of workout to determine the athletes hourly fluid replacement needs.

Note that as the intensity of your workouts increase, sweat rate will go up to keep the core body temperature in check. For reference, the average athlete will lose approximately 1 liter of fluid per hour (~2 water bottles), which also is the approximate max we can absorb per hour. When racing or training for long periods of time in cold environments, you may consider carrying warm fluids like hot chocolate in a thermo as means to help hydrate and warm your core.

4. Don’t neglect electrolytes when training/racing longer than an hour. In addition to fluid replacement, replacement of electrolytes becomes instrumental in your endurance bouts lasting longer than 1 hour. The five most important electrolytes to consider include sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium, and calcium:

Sodium: Sodium enables ATP (energy) generation and also allows cells to retain more water, thereby helping to prevent dehydration. For events lasting longer than five hours, dangerously low sodium (aka hyponatremia) is a concern. Hyponatremia, or low blood sodium, generally happens after drinking too much plain water (over a quart and a half per hour) over several hours. Slightly low levels of sodium are fairly common in distance runners, and usually go unnoticed, but become more pronounced during marathon and ultra-marathon training where the athlete is training/racing for 3+ hours. A prospective study was performed on 36 athletes during a three- to four-hour endurance event, and another on 64 athletes during an endurance event lasting between 8 and 17 hours (Ironman). No athlete was hyponatremic (low sodium levels) after the shorter race, but 27 percent were hyponatremic following the Ironman. In fact, an average of 17 percent of the Ironman™ participants required medical attention, most for hyponatremia. Because fluid balance is intimately tied to sodium, hyponatremia can lead to damage of certain kinds of tissues in your body. Changes are most noticeable in the nervous system, where seizures, coma, and even death can result.

Recognizing over-hydration is challenging because it may appear much like an exercise-induced heat illnesses. Early symptoms are vague, and include confusion, nausea, fatigue, muscle cramps, and weakness. Worse cases can include vomiting, muscle twitching, delirium, seizures, and coma. Differentiation from heat stroke or heat exhaustion can be difficult, even for trained medics. The main difference is that heat stroke, and frequently heat exhaustion, includes a high temperature, whereas over-hydration does not. The final diagnosis must be made at a medical facility where appropriate treatment can occur.

To prevent hyponatremia you should avoid excessive consumption of water during prolonged training, opting for a salt-containing sports drink instead. It is also recommended that you consume 100-250 mg of sodium for every 8 ounces of water ingested during endurance training and racing. Beyond encouraging fluid balance, the sodium will actually improve the palatability of the sports drink as it offsets the sweetness of added sugars. Consumption of saltier foods (pretzels, broth, sauces, salt bagels, V-8 juice) leading up to race day and on race morning is also appropriate for prevention.

Chloride: Chloride is an anion generally consumed as sodium chloride (NaCl) or table salt. There is a high correlation between the sodium and chloride contents of the diet, and only under unusual circumstances do levels of sodium and chloride vary in your diet independently. Sports drinks use table salt to fulfill both sodium and chloride requirements during training. Adequate intake of sodium chloride is required for maintenance of extracellular fluid volume. Chloride is both actively and passively absorbed. Urine excretion reflects chloride intake, with low or no chloride found in deficiency states.

Potassium: Potassium is a mineral and is responsible for regulating total body water and stabilizing contractions (both controlled and automatic). A deficiency of potassium (hypokalemia) can manifest as weakness, fatigue, confusion, heart irregularities, and sometimes cause problems in muscular coordination. Insufficient potassium can also exaggerate the effects of a lack of available sodium. The first sign of a potassium deficiency is usually a generalized weakness - not something you wish to experience during an Ironman or marathon. Endurance athletes have higher potassium needs due to heavier sweat loss; in a study of athletes running 40 minutes at 70 degrees Fahrenheit, potassium loss was estimated at 435 mg/hour. Based on this rate of potassium loss, supplementation both during and after short and long events is warranted and necessary. You should aim at consuming 50-80 mg of potassium for every 8 ounces of fluid ingested during training as well as ~100 mg for every pound of weight loss post training.

Magnesium: As the fourth most abundant element (behind sodium, potassium and calcium) found in your body, with a total of 50 to 60 percent being stored in your skeletal system and the remainder being stored in muscles and soft tissues, magnesium plays an instrumental role in maintaining both structural (bone) and biochemical (muscle contraction, nerve transmission, enzyme production) homeostasis within your body. In fact, magnesium is responsible for 80 percent of all enzymatic reactions in the body, regulating virtually every body activity. Because of these established roles, attainment and maintenance of magnesium balance is crucial for optimal health and peak physical performance.

A magnesium imbalance is triggered by changes that occur in one or more of the stages of metabolism, such as reduced dietary intake, reduced absorption, redistribution and increased excretion. Endurance athletes, whose sweat rate ranges from just under 1 liter per hour to over 1.5 liters per hour, seem to be at a greater risk for magnesium imbalance. To prevent a magnesium imbalance secondary to sweat loss, athletes training or racing greater than 3 hours should aim at replacing 20-30 mg of magnesium per 8 ounces of fluid ingested.

Calcium: Calcium is one of the most important nutrients for athletes, aiding bone health, nerve transmission, and muscle function. One study discovered that athletes lost on average 422 mg of calcium over 3 days of training which lead to a 3.8% loss of bone mineral density over a period of 3 months. Furthermore, consistent loss of calcium in this magnitude can enhance risk for muscle cramping during intense training and racing. To offset the calcium losses experienced during endurance training, athletes should aim at consuming 10-15 mg of calcium per 8 ounces of fluid ingested.

5. If traveling for a “warm-weather” race, be sure to heat acclimate. During the winter months, many add a warm-weather marathon or half marathon (e.g., Honolulu, Disney) to the racing schedule as means to escape the cold. If you are planning a winter marathon in a warmer environment, it will be essential to acclimate to this environment. Heat acclimatization is a process by which your body makes adjustments to promote better cooling in hot environments. As you acclimatize to heat by training in warm conditions (e.g., hatha yoga, spin class without fans, indoor tracks), your sweat will become more dilute, the threshold at which sweating begins is lowered, and your sweat rate is increased. These and other changes take time to fully complete, with the most fit athletes achieving acclimatization at a more rapid rate. Significant acclimatization to heat can be attained in 4-5 days, although full heat acclimatization takes 7-14 days with 2-3 hours per day of carefully supervised exercise in the heat.

Another important tip when planning a race in the heat during the winter months is to cut warm-up time in half. Many endurance athletes who competed in the 2004 Summer Olympics in Athens also wore a cool vest as means to keep their core body temperature down prior to starting their race. A cool vest can be mimicked by placing ice packs around your core as you warm-up/stretch prior to a warm race/training bout.

6. Be weary of medications that interfere with cooling. Certain drugs may cause dehydration or interfere with sweating. Antihistamines and some blood pressure medications decrease sweating. Caffeine and alcohol are diuretics and thus cause your body to lose water. You should avoid their use for several days prior to the race. If you are concerned about overheating, discuss your racing/training schedule, as well as any medications taken, with your personal physician.

7. Rehydrate. For every pound of body weight lost during exercise, consume 16-24 ounces of fluid as means to re-hydrate and enhance recovery from exercise. Failure to replenish will contribute to feelings of sluggishness/fatigue the remainder of the day and may prevent you from completing a planned second run or forthcoming workout. Electrolyte containing beverages such as a sports drink are desirable for post-workout re-hydration due to the sodium (which increases fluid absorption) and carbohydrate (replenishes lost glycogen) content. If returning from a rather frigid run, consider a nice cup of hot chocolate prepared with warm milk (see recipe below), which has an excellent electrolyte profile, to aid re-hydration and help you thaw out!

Happy winter hydrating trails….

Kimberly J. Mueller*, MS, RD (*formerly Brown) is a Registered Sports Dietitian and competitive endurance athlete who provides nutritional counseling and meal planning to athletes all around the world. Kim can be reached at [email protected] . More info on Kim’s services can be found at www.kbnutrition.com.

Edited by dhyte 2008-02-09 11:22 AM
2008-02-09 11:02 PM

Florida
Hope everyone's weekend is going great. I just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a great week upcoming. I'll be out of town visiting my grandmother with no internet, so I won't be around this week. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with most workouts to some extent at least.

Have a great week and see y'all next weekend.... Happy training!

2008-02-10 4:01 AM
in reply to: #1203363

User image

Regular
Hi Peeps

Hope you’re all having a crazy weekend. Its cold sunny and still in my part of the world, perfect! I’ve had a good one training wise, did a solid hour on the spin bike yesterday and then my best swim so far, the front crawl is coming on!! I had a swift run this morning 5.25 miles at 7.17 mile pace, felt ok, pretty pleased with where I am right now. First race is not until end of March at the mo, going to see if I can find something a bit sooner, probably a 10k.

Hope everybody is going well. Its fun on here, keeps me motivated!

Cav x
2008-02-10 4:29 PM
in reply to: #1203363

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

LadyGator - 2008-02-09 9:02 PM Hope everyone's weekend is going great. I just wanted to stop in and wish everyone a great week upcoming. I'll be out of town visiting my grandmother with no internet, so I won't be around this week. Hopefully I'll be able to keep up with most workouts to some extent at least. Have a great week and see y'all next weekend.... Happy training!

Talk to ya soon !! 

2008-02-10 4:30 PM
in reply to: #1203443

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

njcavill65 - 2008-02-10 2:01 AM Hi Peeps Hope you’re all having a crazy weekend. Its cold sunny and still in my part of the world, perfect! I’ve had a good one training wise, did a solid hour on the spin bike yesterday and then my best swim so far, the front crawl is coming on!! I had a swift run this morning 5.25 miles at 7.17 mile pace, felt ok, pretty pleased with where I am right now. First race is not until end of March at the mo, going to see if I can find something a bit sooner, probably a 10k. Hope everybody is going well. Its fun on here, keeps me motivated! Cav x

Cav is running 7:17 pace and getting his swim stroke dialled in....HE'S GONNA BE DANGEROUS OUT THERE !!! 

2008-02-10 6:35 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi guys,

I did a Half Marathon today on short notice. I drove the course yesterday, because I was not familiar with it. I was a little worried about the amount of hills - there were ALOT.

Anyhow, the race went well. I paced myself pretty well and and tried to not push it on the hills. I finished in 2:18 (10:32 pace). I was pretty happy with the time, considering it was not an easy course. I was surprised later when I check and found out it was a PR for me. My previous best time was 2:18:45 at the Arizona RnR Half Marathon in Jan 2005 (which was flat).

I would like to have run it faster, but the was the best I had today. The good news is I think I could improve on today's time on a flat course, so I am encouraged.

Here's a link to my race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=103485

I hope you're all getting in some good training this weekend.

Danny

Edited by dhyte 2008-02-10 6:38 PM
2008-02-12 2:49 PM
in reply to: #1193551

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

shrekkc - 2008-02-04 10:26 AM I'm a very weak swimmer. I've been doing some pool work but my body position is poor and I'm really having a tough time with endurance in the pool. Any suggestions?

Hi Mark,
Good job on the progress.
Can you give me an idea of what you are doing for your swim workout?
I can give you sample workouts and drill suggestions (if you want them).
Danny

2008-02-12 2:53 PM
in reply to: #1193551

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

shrekkc - 2008-02-04 10:26 AM  I got myself a bike this weekend: '07 Trek 2100...

Sweet !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2008-02-12 2:57 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

Hi Carol,

Are the injuries healing?  We miss you !!

Danny

2008-02-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: #1204004

User image

Regular
dhyte - 2008-02-11 12:35 AM

Hi guys,

I did a Half Marathon today on short notice. I drove the course yesterday, because I was not familiar with it. I was a little worried about the amount of hills - there were ALOT.

Anyhow, the race went well. I paced myself pretty well and and tried to not push it on the hills. I finished in 2:18 (10:32 pace). I was pretty happy with the time, considering it was not an easy course. I was surprised later when I check and found out it was a PR for me. My previous best time was 2:18:45 at the Arizona RnR Half Marathon in Jan 2005 (which was flat).

I would like to have run it faster, but the was the best I had today. The good news is I think I could improve on today's time on a flat course, so I am encouraged.

Here's a link to my race report:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=103485

I hope you're all getting in some good training this weekend.

Danny

Nice work on the run Danny, I do a cpl of hilly 1/2 marathons each year and I know it hurts! I'm going to do a bit of an indoor tri in the next few days ie a ride (30 mins on the spin bike), 30 mins on the treadmill and followed by my now improving 600m swim(!!). I'll let you know how it goes!
2008-02-14 12:02 AM

Hello all,

Thanks for the invite back to the group Danny. As a newbie to Tri's I have been combing the web and my local YMCA. Found out my local Y has a Tri club so I will try to hook up with them for training and tips.

I have picked out my first Sprint event, it's called:
Seahorse Challenge
June 1
Kalamazoo Mi.

I have a long way to go on the swim, plus I think I overtrained last weekend and my shin splints are aching. Also, picked up some new hip pain, never had this before.

Hey Danny, when would it be wise to do the Brick training? I have been assuming Bricks are back to back bike/ running etc... My training plan has bike and runs scheduled for Mondays, can I do these back to back?
2008-02-15 5:00 AM

User image

Regular
Morning peeps!

Had a belting session today by doing a bit of an indoor triathlon in the gym, if not quite in the right order! Started by doing 40 mins on the spin bike, it has no way of recording distance but I rode pretty hard with an average heart of 149 (84% of max). I then jumped off and within 30 seconds was on the treadmill. I did just over 4 miles in 30 mins at 7.27m pace, felt ok, no wobbly leg syndrome, heart rate average was 165 (93% of max). Finished with my usual 600m swim and knocked 30 seconds off my fastest time!! So there we go folks, I’m really pleased how it went, now ready to put it into practice!

Have a crazy day! x

2008-02-15 7:13 AM

Hey guys,

Hope everyone is doing great, on my side these past two weeks have been crazy, I got sick this past week and yesterday I started feeling kind of sick again, this crazy weather here in Dallas is driving my body crazy. Today I feel much better than yesterday, I just hope to feel great today and tomorrow since I have my first attempt at a duathlon this upcoming Sunday.

Any tips for first timer?

Thanks, have a good weekend!!!!

Mike
2008-02-15 11:20 PM

Hello all,
Cav, your an animal............nice workout there.
Mike, I hear ya on the sickness, I was "down with the sickness" myself and didn't have the energy for anything. I am out of the funk now and hope you are soon. Good luck on the Duathalon.

Danny, I have a couple questions

I am using a downloaded training program from BT. In it the plans states sessions in minutes such as on Mondays 20 min bike and 30 minutes run etc... My question is do you think it is more beneficial for me ove the course of this plan to just slowly increase my pace? For instance today I had a 30 minute run scheduled, so I just ran a 5K in 27:15. Now next time should I keep striving to improve on a 5K time or just slow down and put in the minutes?

Gear question for the group, I am a first timer who has a hybrid road/mountain bike. Mongoose frame. Now, I could swap the tires for road, then get new pedals and aero bars and try to convert it to some sort of Tri-bike. What do you guys think? Is it worth the efforts and cost?
Any advice or suggestions welcome.

Note to all, my thoughts and prayers go out to the families of the kids from NIU, my wife and I both are alumni from Northern with many friends and neighbors who have kids there.

Rick from Chicago
Spring is coming........hang in there
2008-02-15 11:50 PM
in reply to: #1211313

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

rsand222 - 2008-02-13 10:02 PM  I think I overtrained last weekend and my shin splints are aching. Also, picked up some new hip pain, never had this before. Hey Danny, when would it be wise to do the Brick training? I have been assuming Bricks are back to back bike/ running etc... My training plan has bike and runs scheduled for Mondays, can I do these back to back?

Some of this also applies to your other comments below regarding jumping into your trianing plan from BT...

Many of the training plans assume you have a "base" established already.  Even if they are the "total beginner" plans, it is a good idea to ease in and not injure yourself.

The sore shins, hip etc could be an indicator that you need to be cautious.

Soreness and injuries are not limited to people starting anew, but please don't over do it at the start of your season.

So.....

if you feel like you are NOT overdoing it then it is entirely reasonable to start incorporating BRICK workouts in.  At this point, you may break it up into 2 different workouts (am workout, pm workout).  You could also do back to back segments, but start small.

Once you are feeling good about more vigourous brick workouts, you may want to alternate every other week.

I often will do a long run or ride one week, and then do a brick the next weekend. 

2008-02-15 11:52 PM
in reply to: #1213855

User image

Master
San Diego, CA

njcavill65 - 2008-02-15 3:00 AM Morning peeps! Had a belting session today by doing a bit of an indoor triathlon in the gym, if not quite in the right order! Started by doing 40 mins on the spin bike, it has no way of recording distance but I rode pretty hard with an average heart of 149 (84% of max). I then jumped off and within 30 seconds was on the treadmill. I did just over 4 miles in 30 mins at 7.27m pace, felt ok, no wobbly leg syndrome, heart rate average was 165 (93% of max). Finished with my usual 600m swim and knocked 30 seconds off my fastest time!! So there we go folks, I’m really pleased how it went, now ready to put it into practice! Have a crazy day! x

Good Job Cav !!

Are you simulating quick transition times yet??

As fast as your 3 race segments are coming along, you should definteley plan to spend some good time practicing your tranistions.  We're going to see you on the podium this year ! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » dhyte's Group - (Full to the brim) !!! Rss Feed  

of 14