BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-02-05 1:28 PM
in reply to: #1106642

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area
Subject: RE: guncollector's group -- OPEN!

Welcome aboard, Pollywog & AdCo!

Sorry, guys, I haven't been around the last few days.  Came down with a nasty bug that took me out for a few days.  But, alas, I'm feeling just about well enough to train again.

Group Roll Call

Active Mentees
nevergivein (Stuart)
holt1997 (Scott Holt)
TysDad (Scott Restoni)
dtb (Scott Brown)
Faeron (Faeron)
JHagerman (Jeremy)

Recently Joined Mentees
ljrogers1104 (Jim Rogers)
jetlag (Karla)
Pollywog (David Burns)
AdCo (Adam)

Inactive Mentees
eric73 (Eric Stevens)
tonyladd (Tony)
Layne44 (Jim Meador)
TriForLife67 (Laura H)
fooddestroyer (Norm)
matthewmac (Norm)

Mentor Contributors
Donto
TriAya

2008-02-05 2:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
I was struggling with persistent headaches and migraines last week, so I didn't manage any training, except a ride on Saturday. I went to the gym tonight and am pleased with my workout. I set a new PB for the mile of 12 minutes (NO LAUGHING! lol) and ran the whole way. I felt like I could keep going and going.

Ok, so here's my blurb

I'm an American and have lived in the UK for 21 years! I'm going to be 39 in a little over a week, so some quick maths will tell you I've lived here longer than there.

I have a wonderful and supportive b/f who's a cycling fanatic and stupidly fit. We have a Border Terrier called Molly, 3 cats (Ronnie, Barker and Banjo) and an African Grey parrot called Oscar. I work in IT, but am currently setting up my dream business, a quilt and cross stitch shop.

I like reading, snowboarding, mountain biking, quilting, stitching, knitting and training for my first tri!

I have 2 super sprints planned, one in July and one in August. I am confident on the swim, fairly confident on the cycle and dreading the run.
2008-02-05 2:59 PM
in reply to: #1195766

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

jetlag - 2008-02-05 12:43 PM I was struggling with persistent headaches and migraines last week, so I didn't manage any training, except a ride on Saturday. I went to the gym tonight and am pleased with my workout. I set a new PB for the mile of 12 minutes (NO LAUGHING! lol) and ran the whole way. I felt like I could keep going and going.

Excellent.  Keep it up.  Frequency and consistency is the key. 

I have 2 super sprints planned, one in July and one in August. I am confident on the swim, fairly confident on the cycle and dreading the run.

Well, consider yourself well ahead of most first-time triathletes...since you're not dreading the swim as 90% of other newbies do. 

Again, your runs don't have to be long, but they do have to be consistent if you want to see improvement.  Make sure you have the correct type of running shoe for your foot-arch type (stability, motion control, or neutral).  This make a big difference.  And, don't be averse--initially anyways--to take a walking break in the midpoint of your training runs if it will help you extend your distance.

If you're doing run on the treadmill at the gym, be sure to set the incline to a minimum of 1%.  The 1% incline serves the dual purpose of better simulating road-running (offsetting the belt's "pull-for-you" and to protect those knees (lessens the impact of each step). 

If you don't have a Heart Rate Monitor (HRM), consider it as a wise investment.  You can find them now for as little as $70 these days.  You can spend more...but you don't need the fancy features...trust me...as I use one of the most barebone Polar models with great success.  Learn to the HRM correctly in establishing your Heart Rate Zones, and training accordingly.

Good luck and keep up the good work!  Cheerio, carry on! 

2008-02-05 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
I have hyper mobility syndrome, which is effectively a collagen deficiency affecting the connective tissue in my joints. This causes reduced proprioception and a severe over pronation, so have my running shoes fitted and wear orthotics in my street shoes. I'm very bendy, but suffer from lower back problems and foot pain.

I have a heart rate monitor and am trying to work out my training zones. I'm using Joe Friel's LHRT method, so it looks like my zone 1 threshold is about 142. For the next few weeks, I'm going to stay in that zone, which, for me, means walking, which is a little frustrating as I was able to run for 20 minutes at 165 and felt like I could keep going for ever. I have the incline set at 1% normally, but didn't today as JF says not to for this particular exercise.

I've had some trouble getting into a routine lately, so that is my initial goal (get to the gym/out on the bike 4 times a week for 6 weeks).

My first love was always weight training. I'm very strong for a girl and have always hated cardio, but I'm learning to love it (slooooooooooooowly).

Edited by jetlag 2008-02-05 3:27 PM
2008-02-05 3:44 PM
in reply to: #1195834

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

jetlag - 2008-02-05 1:26 PMI have a heart rate monitor and am trying to work out my training zones. I'm using Joe Friel's LHRT method, so it looks like my zone 1 threshold is about 142. For the next few weeks, I'm going to stay in that zone, which, for me, means walking, which is a little frustrating as I was able to run for 20 minutes at 165 and felt like I could keep going for ever. I have the incline set at 1% normally, but didn't today as JF says not to for this particular exercise.

I would say then in your particular instance, it is okay to train in Zone 2. 

Here's my thinking, while the cardio benefit may not be that much higher, its important for you to run--and you can't simulate running by walking.  If you can do it comfortably like you say for 20 minutes, then let your HR be damned.

Now, that said.  If you feel burnout, or injury coming on, then you'll have to dial it back.

One other suggestion I might add, is to do a little research on running styles (Pose, Chi, Evo, etc.).  One thing you'll find in common in all the above styles is: midfoot strike, and shorter steps (where you foot lands directly under your knee).  

I mention this because now is the time to instill the muscle-memory programming.  Initially, it will feel like you're taking literally "baby steps" (and if it does, then you're doing it right), but its the most economic/efficient way to run.  Overstriding (landing with your foot ahead of your knee, and often with a heel strike) not only causes you to brake with each step, but leads to injury.

2008-02-05 3:46 PM
in reply to: #1182056

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

holt1997 - 2008-01-29 12:00 PM Hello Ron et al, I am going to a tri store on Friday (They are a long way away and I have another stop over there) Do you have any recommendations on things to look for in gear (transition bags, wetsuits, shorts, etc) Any ideas on brands or features for different things? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Scott H

Well, what'd you get?  Inquiring minds. 

2008-02-05 3:54 PM
in reply to: #1195872

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
guncollector - 2008-02-04 9:44 PM

jetlag - 2008-02-05 1:26 PMI have a heart rate monitor and am trying to work out my training zones. I'm using Joe Friel's LHRT method, so it looks like my zone 1 threshold is about 142. For the next few weeks, I'm going to stay in that zone, which, for me, means walking, which is a little frustrating as I was able to run for 20 minutes at 165 and felt like I could keep going for ever. I have the incline set at 1% normally, but didn't today as JF says not to for this particular exercise.

I would say then in your particular instance, it is okay to train in Zone 2.

Here's my thinking, while the cardio benefit may not be that much higher, its important for you to run--and you can't simulate running by walking. If you can do it comfortably like you say for 20 minutes, then let your HR be damned.

Now, that said. If you feel burnout, or injury coming on, then you'll have to dial it back.

One other suggestion I might add, is to do a little research on running styles (Pose, Chi, Evo, etc.). One thing you'll find in common in all the above styles is: midfoot strike, and shorter steps (where you foot lands directly under your knee).

I mention this because now is the time to instill the muscle-memory programming. Initially, it will feel like you're taking literally "baby steps" (and if it does, then you're doing it right), but its the most economic/efficient way to run. Overstriding (landing with your foot ahead of your knee, and often with a heel strike) not only causes you to brake with each step, but leads to injury.

It is so interesting that you say that! Up until today, I was running at about 5.5mph with a really long stride. I couldn't run for more than a few minutes and had to walk at about 4.8 to catch my breath. Joe Friel talks about mid foot strike in his book so I thought I'd give it a bash today whilst finding my LHRT. I stayed at 4.5 - 4.8 but ran with much shorter strides and concentrated on a mid foot strike. Lo and behold, my heart rate was higher but my breathing was much more controlled and comfortable. More importantly, I felt really good! I actually *whispers* enjoyed it...
2008-02-05 4:59 PM
in reply to: #1195897

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

jetlag - 2008-02-05 1:54 PM guncollector - 2008-02-04 9:44 PM

It is so interesting that you say that! Up until today, I was running at about 5.5mph with a really long stride. I couldn't run for more than a few minutes and had to walk at about 4.8 to catch my breath. Joe Friel talks about mid foot strike in his book so I thought I'd give it a bash today whilst finding my LHRT. I stayed at 4.5 - 4.8 but ran with much shorter strides and concentrated on a mid foot strike. Lo and behold, my heart rate was higher but my breathing was much more controlled and comfortable. More importantly, I felt really good! I actually *whispers* enjoyed it...

I think you'll find that your HR will settle downwards a bit after your body has adjusted to the new running technique--in fact I'm sure it will (for the same speed/incline). Caution: you're in danger of having nothing to dread in your first race!

All triathlon is about economy of motion (effort/speed ratio)--where efficiency is fast (and the longer the distance of your races, the truer this axiom holds). Single-sport folks can concentrate on their given discipline and give it literally their all, but they don't have 2 other events to do on a given race day.

Edited by guncollector 2008-02-05 5:04 PM
2008-02-05 5:26 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

I just dug this article up out of my archives, and thought it might bring a little meta-physical motivation to your training...its by the late Dr. George Sheehan...some of you might recall his philosophical writings in Runner's World. And while Dr. Sheehan, being an avid runner, centers his article around running...you can easily see how it translates for triathletes too...

Why do I Run?
by George Sheehan

I have written over the years of the benefits I receive from running. Enumerated the physical and mental changes. Listed the emotional and spiritual gains. Chartered the improvement that has taken place in my person and my life. What I have not emphasized is how transient these values and virtues are.

With just a little thought, however, it should be evident that physical laws parallel those of the mind and the spirit. We know that the effects of training are temporary. I cannot put fitness in the bank. If inactive, I will detrain faster than it took me to get in shape. And since my entire persona is influenced by my running program, I must remain constantly in training. Otherwise, the sedentary life will inexorably reduce my mental and emotional well-being.

So I run each day to preserve the self I attained the day before. And coupled with this is the desire to secure the self yet to be. There can be no let up. If I do not run, I will eventually lose all I have gained--and my future with it.

Maintenance was a favorite topic of writer and philosopher Erik Hoffer. It made the difference, said the former longshoreman, between a country that was successful and one that failed. An achievement, no matter how magnificent, will eventually decay if not preserved by constant care.

I know that experience intimately. There is nothing briefer than the winner's laurel. Victory is of the moment. It must be followed by another victory then another. I have to run just to stay in place.

Excellence is not something attained and put in a trophy case. It is not sought after, achieved, and thereafter, a steady state. It is a momentary phenomenon, a rare conjunction of body, mind, and spirit at one's peak. Should I come to that peak, I cannot stay there. Like Sisyphus, I must start each day at the bottom and work back up to the top. And then beyond that peak to another and yet another.

Through running I have learned what I can be and do. My body is now sensitive to the slightest change. It is particularly aware of any decline or decay. I can feel this lessening of the "me" that I have come to think of myself.

Running has made this new me. Taken the raw material and honed it and delivered it back ready to do the work of a human being. I run so I do not lose the me I was yesterday and the me I might become tomorrow.

Edited by guncollector 2008-02-05 5:26 PM
2008-02-06 2:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
Not sure that the thought of having to start from the bottom every day is what would motivate me to go for a run LOL! It's knowing that if I run today, it will be easier to run tomorrow that keeps me going.

As for having nothing to dread, there are so many uncertainties about the first race. I can read loads of books (and I am) but I'm not sure anything can really prepare you for the experience. I do worry, though, that I massively misjudged my ability and that my race distances won't be challenging enough, but I know what I'm like; if I got a caning on the first try, I'd be likely not to try it again! In the UK, we have a saying "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey" and that really is my motto. I never like to feel out of control or out of my depth.

My first two races are thusly:

July) 200m / 5k / 2.5k
Aug) 400m / 10k / 2.5k

The second will be much more of a challenge than the first, but after last night, it seems much more achievable!

My biggest concern now is running after the cycle. I tried this at the weekend and couldn't do it! I had to walk for 200 yards before I could even start running, and then I was beat. I know it will come with time though, so I'm not too stressed

I'm off to a tri show on Sunday, so I'm very excited :D

Thanks for all of your advice!
2008-02-06 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA

Hey All,
I am trying to catch-up on the group, but right now, I've been lazy.  I was up early yesterday to fly to Toronto and then I did my 1.5 mile run - the wife has me on some sort of plan, so I'm not arguing. (Ps no spell checker on this PC- at client - so forgive me, I can't spell).  I also did some core work.  Apparently I have a core about as good as a donut (get it?). It is actually excellent, but I can’t do anything fast as I always seem to hurt my back.  SO, here it is for everyone, if you check my log, you’ll see exactly what I did.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486

Tonight is a 3 mile run for me – on the treadmill – as I won’t run outside until it is over 40 and not nasty or icy outside.  My problem is that mentally, I can’t go slow, I’m terrible at pacing, so I’m thinking that for my 3 miler, I’ll go 10:00 / 10:30 / 11:00.  I used to be a lot faster, but have gotten chubby and slow, I figure to get to around 8:00 miles for 1 – 2 miles in a few months – I may get there!!
PS – Where is everyone from? I’m in Toronto, VT, Dallas and Houston over the next few months.

Edited by AdCo 2008-02-06 8:19 AM

2008-02-06 9:14 AM
in reply to: #1196485

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

jetlag - 2008-02-06 3:26 AM Not sure that the thought of having to start from the bottom every day is what would motivate me to go for a run LOL! It's knowing that if I run today, it will be easier to run tomorrow that keeps me going. As for having nothing to dread, there are so many uncertainties about the first race. I can read loads of books (and I am) but I'm not sure anything can really prepare you for the experience. I do worry, though, that I massively misjudged my ability and that my race distances won't be challenging enough, but I know what I'm like; if I got a caning on the first try, I'd be likely not to try it again! In the UK, we have a saying "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey" and that really is my motto. I never like to feel out of control or out of my depth. My first two races are thusly: July) 200m / 5k / 2.5k Aug) 400m / 10k / 2.5k The second will be much more of a challenge than the first, but after last night, it seems much more achievable! My biggest concern now is running after the cycle. I tried this at the weekend and couldn't do it! I had to walk for 200 yards before I could even start running, and then I was beat. I know it will come with time though, so I'm not too stressed I'm off to a tri show on Sunday, so I'm very excited :D Thanks for all of your advice!

You will find that bricks will become easier over time. But right now you need to develop the proper form and efficiency on the bike and run to put the two together. Like guncollector stated earlier, the run will get better as you develop the muscle memory for a new running form, stick with it. With the shorter form comes increased turnover, pay attention to your stride rate in the beginning and work on achieving at least 80 per minute at the beginning of a run and increase from there (I count full strides not each step, i.e. the number of times my right foot hits the ground per minute).

I recall vividly the day I read an article about brick runs and cycling, Infamous Run. It was ~4 weeks before my 1st tri in'04 and about 2 weeks before that I read an article about pedal cadence and the reasons to do it (similar to this one , original link is dead.) This was the start of changing my running form but didn't know it at the time. The understanding of the brick run on the form side of things will help a lot as you grow and start putting the pieces together of each sport indivually.

2008-02-06 9:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA
I remember my first BRICK. I have never been in as much pain!! It was also very hot and I was very out of shape.  I vowed never to let that happen again! Now once I go to spinning, I plan to run a few laps of the indoor track - just to start the muscle memory.
2008-02-06 9:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
I'm looking forward to that, I can tell you. I'd totally underestimated how hard it would be. Still, I seem to pick up fitness quite quickly (hence my penchant for letting it slide again *grimace* ). I haven't counted my cadence yet, so I'll be sure to do that for my next run. I'm already a convert to a shorter stride! Running was actually FUN last night!

I'm from LA originally, but live in the UK for the foreseeable future (though b/f, who's British REALLY wants to live in the states).
2008-02-06 10:11 AM
in reply to: #1196852

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA

Hey Donto,

My company is based out of Melbourne, FL.  (sort of) I think I'll be there in may sometime! I'll let you know.

2008-02-06 10:47 AM
in reply to: #1197018

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member
AdCo - 2008-02-06 11:11 AM

Hey Donto,

My company is based out of Melbourne, FL. (sort of) I think I'll be there in may sometime! I'll let you know.

Who's that (co.)?

Send me a PM if you do, I can take you to some nice places to swim, ride and run! 

2008-02-06 11:04 AM
in reply to: #1197118

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

Here was my 1st brick, going back in the archives, a big reason why I love BT!  It was only 3 weeks before my 1st race and I did a total of 3 bricks beforehand.  Back then all I had was my 38lb MTB Tongue out!  Funny how I called an 8:24 run slow, but at the time I have been running for much longer and doing 5k's (~22min).

Wed, Mar 31 2004

48m 13.20 miles 16.50 miles/hr

Worked on pedal rate, used 22 gear most of the time, was able to keep mph > 17 most of the time. Wind on EG lowered avg mph.

10m 30s 1.25 miles 08m 24s /mile

Bricked run after bike. Had left calf cramp, a quick 30 sec stretch took care of it. Slow run but good for 1st brick

2008-02-06 12:09 PM
in reply to: #1195897

User image

Extreme Veteran
Worcester, MA

So, I'm not the best runner, infact I stink, but what I find is that with better and faster turnover, I feel more like I'm cruising, as opposed to running.  I try to sustain it as long as I can and while I can't get the feeling of no being tired (face it, I'm out of shape), I do feel like I'm runing eaiser.  I have found a couple of songs that really work for me, including "lose yourself" - check out the beat.  As I get more tired, I put that song on over and over and try to keep my turnover around that pace. 

For me, though I do find I do both long and short strides.

2008-02-06 2:04 PM
in reply to: #1197347

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
Lose yourself by eminem? OMG, that's my second favourite running track (hey boy, hey girl being the first!). Isn't that weird? lol!
2008-02-06 3:54 PM

User image

Expert
SF-Bay Area

Not much to add that hasn't been said.  Bricks get easier with practice and repetition.

I don't notice the transition much anymore.  Sometimes, though, I'll get through T2 and start the run  with way too fast a pace (as a result of my body wanting to emulate the fast cycling cadence).  I have to consciously slow it down or risk blowing up.

If you can, always try and run at least 10-15 minutes after a long ride.   It'll help immensely in preparing you for that T2 transition.

2008-02-06 7:50 PM
in reply to: #1195877

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
guncollector - 2008-02-05 1:46 PM

Well, what'd you get?  Inquiring minds. 

Well due to weather I didn't get to go until today. I went to two different stores (The only two in Seattle known to me) and learned a lot. To answer your question directly, I got a TYR transition bag ($65), a Sigma heart rate monitor ($70) and a bracket for my aero bottle. I got to try on a bunch of different gear and see what I liked and disliked. Well worth the travel time. Funny things that look good on the internet don't necessarily fit well. They didn't have a lot of their 2008 clothing out yet so he said come back in a month which kinda stinks since my first race is in a month and a half and I like to break things in before race day.

On a seperate note I followed some of the discussion about cadence while running and put some of it to practice tonight. I shortened and quickened my stride a little (very little) and was more aware of foot strike etc. I took almost 3 minutes off of my 4 mile time. It felt like a solid run and I enjoyed the feel of the strides more (if that makes sense) I am anxious to figure out my heart rate monitor and put all the pieces together and get a better idea of where I am really training.

2008-02-07 3:02 AM
in reply to: #1198253

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
I didn't make it to the gym last night due to family commitments, but one thing I noticed this morning is how much my lower calf muscles hurt from Tuesday's run. Hobbling around a little this morning LOL
2008-02-07 3:34 AM
in reply to: #1198498

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK

A quick LTHR question:

How accurate does it have to be to be beneficial at this stage? I think I've underestimated it (as I didn't use the 30 min TT to deduce it) but rather used Joe Friel's method (the point at which your breath becomes deep and laboured).

Will I be screwing up my workouts if it's a bit out? I mean, I assume not, because if that were true, no one would ever suggest the PRE method. I'm guessing that, as a relative newbie, 5-10 bpm doesn't matter TOO much?

The 30min TT doesn't seem possible at the moment as (a) I can't keep going that long yet and (b) I have no idea what pace I would need to do it to make it all the way and just be spent at the end LOL.

2008-02-07 7:13 AM
in reply to: #1198498

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

jetlag - 2008-02-07 4:02 AM I didn't make it to the gym last night due to family commitments, but one thing I noticed this morning is how much my lower calf muscles hurt from Tuesday's run. Hobbling around a little this morning LOL

Stay on top of it.  Tight calf's may lead to Achilles, heel/foot and shin splint issues.  Make sure you are stretching both the Soleus and Gastro calf muscles.  If you can afford massages do them, if not look on the web for self massage techniques.  If necessary even use a cold pack on them after a run.  The new running form means it will take awhile for some soft tissue to acclimate to it.  I had the opposite problem, heal striking gave me serious Calf/Achilles issues and when I changed to mid-foot strike it was a big relieve.

2008-02-07 7:19 AM
in reply to: #1198571

User image

Veteran
Epsom, Surrey, UK
So it's nothing to worry about? Cuz it's pretty painful. I've had shin splints before which took a fully year to heal. I couldn't even run for a train...
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » guncollector's group -- FULL! Rss Feed  

of 15