BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2008-03-29 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1116072

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed
Hey just saw, Papa Hawk completed his race today. Congrats on being the first to get one in thiis year and on becoming a triathlete!!!

2008-03-29 3:52 PM
in reply to: #1301575

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
Thanks Ken!!  We made it!!!  WOOOT and it could not have been a crappier day outside for a tri..I tell ya..mother nature was throwin all she could to get me down and out...but I just told her to get off my case...I am finishing this race and there is not a damn thing you can do about it!!   Wind, cold wind mind you, the temp dropped from a nice 55 deg to about 48 when I got to T1 ..then to top it - it was pouring rain as well..all my T1 gear..SOAKED...cold and wet made for a less the stellar T1 ....I did not even worry too much about my time then....it was cold, wet, and I still had to ride 13 miles in this crap and then..run 3 miles in it as well...all I could think was " WTF"....all we needed now was some snow and lightning...LOL....I cannot believe I am doing this....LOL...some folks earlier actually got pelted with hail.....or sleet..I am not sure which...but frozen stuff either way going face into it on a bike is not fun...me..I got the wind the rain non-stop on the bike course...my entire body was soaked from head to toe and I was so cold at times my arms and hands were feelin numb...glad I was able to make it the run w/out hypothermia settin in....LOL

Edited by papahawk 2008-03-29 8:32 PM
2008-03-29 7:10 PM
in reply to: #1301612

New user
Chicago, Illinois
papahawk - 2008-03-29 3:52 PM

Thanks Ken!!  We made it!!!  WOOOT and it could not have been a crappier day outside for a tri..I tell ya..mother nature was throwin all she could to get me down and out...but I just told her to get off my case...I am finishing this race and there is not a damn thing you can do about it!!   Wind, cold wind mind you, the temp dropped from a nice 55 deg to about 48 when I got to T1 ..then to top it - it was pouring rain as well..all my T1 gear..SOAKED...cold and wet made for a less the stellar T1 ....I did not even worry too much about my time then....it was cold, wet, and I still had to ride 13 miles in this crap and then..run 3 miles in it as well...all I could think was " WTF"....all we needed now was some snow and lightning...LOL....I cannot believe I am doing this....LOL...some folks earlier actually got pelted with hail.....or sleet..I am not sure which...but frozen stuff either way going face into it on a bike is not fun...me..I got the wind the rain non-stop on the bike course...my entire body was soaked from head to toe and I was so cold at times my arms and hands were feelin numb...glad I was able to make it the run w/out hypthermia settin in....LOL

Congrats! What a great feeling, huh?

48 and sleet? That's a good day in Chicago.
2008-03-30 8:48 AM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Well - here is the official picture of my initiation into the Triathlete fraternity!!  I was feelin pretty good as you can see...my body had warmed back up from the bike ride from hell...LOL...but it was a great day!!!  I made it .....I will have the official time postings this evening after 9PM - so I will more then likely post those tomorrow.  Thanks again to all the support from my mentor, Ken, and to all the members of the Express...you guy's n gal's made this journey possible....THANKS!!!  I am going to be working in a Masters swim class next month and will be working on more endurance running and biking for my next race in June...so I will be on the Express again looking for support and advice...I know I can find it here!!!  Well - I am off to Charleston, SC this coming weekend for the Cooper River Bridge Run 10k...woo hooo!!  No time for slackin..gotta get some run's in this week!  I think I will be bumping up the distance on my training as well.  Here is a link to the MAP discussion on the forums here at BT....some good pics as well.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=108400&posts=7#M1302436

PAPA's a TRIATHLETE!!

Edited by papahawk 2008-03-30 10:15 AM
2008-03-30 4:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

It's here!!  I made it and under 2 hrs ...my T1 killed me, I knew it would...but all my other events were great!!! I had a PR for swim time!!!  .......YEAH!!!!  my time for the race was 1:43:28..as shown below...the 1st time is swim = 12:24 = bike = 53:59 run = 32:02

32537NMDANNY HAWKINSCHARLOTTE NC31600:12:2400:03:2832400:53:5900:01:3730200:32:02 01:43:28 

2008-03-30 7:15 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Here is my weekly recap!

Monster week and a solid month almost in the books. 11 hours 12 minutes. 61 mile long bike and 8 mile long run. 21.5 miles running is best week since 06. 428 mile bike month, best since Oct 06. Feeling good on progress, need to retune my nutrition for the half. Didn't get my 100 miles on the bike. Had a flat cut a ride short and we stayed and played after the charity ride instead of getting some more miles. Also did a straight mile swim in 34:09. I need to get that down to under 33 by the race.

This week needs to be a little bigger, than I can I have a recovery week. Plan is for long run of 9.5, 60 on the bike again and some longer swim sets. Plan on 11 hours plus again.

Rusty, way to go. You did so good and under horrific conditions.

2008-03-30 7:31 PM

New user
Chicago, Illinois
Weekly recap

So, I didn't get to do my long slow distance run today, which was a big disappointment to me, but it would have cut into sleep time--I got five hours today as it was and I don't function well on less than seven. Sad. Tomorrow I should be able to do it.

Otherwise my week was good. I felt really good physically, but I didn't go crazy and overdo it.

Swam twice for a total of 3100 yards.
Biked to work all week for a total of 65.07 miles.
Ran three times for a total of 86 minutes. I need to start figuring out distance--maybe I can run a route I map out on my bicycle.

--Natalie
2008-03-30 8:37 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Fellow Manatee's,

Awesome performance by PapaHawk in his first Tri.  Way to push through the elements and finish in a great time. 

Pretty good week for me.  7 total workouts, 2 bike commutes and 2 strength training sessions included, for a total time of 9:20.  Plan on hitting the pool again this week at least two times to put in some drills and stroke work.  Only had one run last week for 3 miles but did have a long bike ride for 70 miles on Saturday with my group.  Plans for this week will be 2-3 swims for at least 3,000 yards, 100+ miles on the bike (will include at least 3 or 4 commutes), and have 3 runs of 3.5, 5, and 6.5 miles.  Two strength training days with a great workout from last months Triathlete magazine, if anyone is interested I made a spreadsheet will all of the excercises on it.  Everyone have a great week and thanks for all of the support.

2008-03-31 9:04 AM
in reply to: #1302886

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL
papahawk - 2008-03-30 4:57 PM

It's here!!  I made it and under 2 hrs ...my T1 killed me, I knew it would...but all my other events were great!!! I had a PR for swim time!!!  .......YEAH!!!!  my time for the race was 1:43:28..as shown below...the 1st time is swim = 12:24 = bike = 53:59 run = 32:02

32537NMDANNY HAWKINSCHARLOTTE NC31600:12:2400:03:2832400:53:5900:01:3730200:32:02 01:43:28 

Rusty (excuse me, I meant "Triathlete Rusty" ) -- you did spectacular!  I looked at the picture of that rain coming down -- I am so impressed that you persevered through that!  And did I see that you had a better time than GyGy?

2008-03-31 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Shalimar, FL

I guess it's time for the dreaded weekly recap.  I need to settle back into some sort of formal training plan.  I did get lots of time in, but not sure it was terribly productive.  Anyway,  I got four runs in for a total of about 17 miles, and five bikes for 101 miles.   

Lately I seem to just go out and do, rather than have a goal in mind.  Maybe it's because the races that are important to me are so far off in time.  Does just putting in the miles accomplish anything, or am I just spinning my wheels?  I know about base miles, but should I add some specific training in as well (such as speed workouts)?

Cheri

2008-03-31 3:44 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL

2008-04-01 6:25 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Rusty,

When we gonna talk about bikes? Thats my favorite subject.
2008-04-01 7:03 PM
in reply to: #1309193

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Ken/Rusty,

I want to join in on the bike debate as I am looking to purchase another bike soon as well.  I have done quite a bit of research to date and have a few recommendations but it is all dependent on price.  Papa needs a new bike so he can get to the front of the pack on his next Tri.

2008-04-01 8:10 PM
in reply to: #1309285

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Poor papa's gotta buy one for his wife too! lol.
2008-04-01 8:54 PM
in reply to: #1309433

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Thats right!!   I gotta buy wifey one too...I knew I should have not beat her time in the race this weekend!!  LOL.  Well - we are back on the bike debate once again.  I found a dealer in town that recommended this bike for those on a budget and not wanting to dump alot of money on their 1st road bike.  Then - I get another story from a co-worker who is an avid cyclist and his thought is if your gonna be tri -riding thne you should get a tri bike....well...those babies ain't cheap and Papa makes good money...but not that good!!!  Maybe I can find a good used tri -bike - but honestly folks...I am not gonna be competing for Ironman invites anytime soon...heck...I am in it for the fun factor and the health benefits....so...road bike...tri bike..hmmm I am thinkin road bike will be just fine for me and gygyhawk....plus - I can set us both up on decent road bikes for just over a grand...so..that is sounding more appealing to me.  I know I talked about the Motobecane's last time the bike conversations came up - now I am looking at this one...price is really about where I wanna be for my 1st road bike.....and anything will be a vast improvement over the bike I have now...  let the debates officially begin!!!  Chew on these and gimme some feedback..all the Motobecanes are really in the price range I am lookin for ....

http://www.feltracing.com/08/product.asp?catid=1504,1515&pid=8682

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/ventnoir.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/mirage_pro09.htm

http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/motobecane/grand_record09.htm

2008-04-01 9:20 PM
in reply to: #1309542

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Papa,

My quick two cents worth before I go for a lunchtime ride on my FELT road bike, an F4C if you are curious.  All four bikes are good bikes to start on and all will be a dramatic improvement over the current mountain bike.  THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF IT ALL IS THAT THE BIKES NEEDS TO FIT YOU AND GYGY.  Go spend the money or go to the Trek website for some fitting guidelines and do it yourself.  Felt road bikes set up very well for Triathlons as the seat tube angle is a little steeper than most and the addition of some clip on aero bars almost complete the package.  The only drawback that I see to all of these bikes is that if you decide to upgrade you components later on down the line it is going to set you back a little bit as all of them have lower end component groups that are not compatible with some middle to high end groups.  The Shimano Sora and Tiagra do not integrate well with the 105, Ultegra, or Dura Ace groups.  My recommendation would be to find bikes that have at the minimum a 105 groupset (Shifters, front/rear derailuer, etc...)  It will save you money later on down the line if you choose to upgrade to get faster.  I am currently salivating over a Felt B2 and the Cervelo P2C, $$$ I know, but more realistically I will probably pick up a Felt B12 and look at upgrading the wheels later on.  Gotta get all the gadgets so that I can keep up with Ken.  Hopefully I have provided some good gouge but it was probably more like a quarters worth :0  The most important part of it all though is to get the right size frame for you and your wife.  Good luck.

2008-04-01 10:01 PM
in reply to: #1309622

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Once again Chappy you bring great info to the table brotha!!  thanks a bunch!!  I will poke around the Trek site and see what I can find out.  Fitting is by far the most critical - I agree - one question though - on the main tube running horizontal ( where you stradle the bike  does it make a big difference in either straight or slanted?  We plan on going to local bike shop and getting fitted for bikes - one of our tri club members works there so I know he can be trusted and he is a bike freak!!  I noticed the Felt I am lookin at has a slight angle on that part of the frame - where as the Motobecanes are straight - what's the scoop on that?..any performance or riding reasons or is it just a difference in the design from one mfg to another?  The Cervelo's are sweet - but I think just slightly outta my budget for now - ahh I am like a kid in a candy store!!  Especially since wifey gave me the green light on buyin a new bike - of course - she get's one outta this as well...   I will dig around and let you know what I find...have a good ride !!

PAPA 

2008-04-01 10:37 PM

User image

Regular
Hebron, KY

Papa,

I will do a little more research but I am almost certain that the slanted top tube is now for two reasons:  1) To eliminate the drastic bend to reach the handlebars as it is on a straight tube without putting in several spacers and 2) If the top tube is slanted there is less frame material thus decreasing the total weight of the bike to some degree.  Some also say that it is more aerodynamic.  I will do some research tonight while I am on duty and let you know what I find out.  The whole kid in a candy store nails it on the head for certain.  Good ride today but it was a little bit windy.  Good luck with the Bike Quest!!!

2008-04-02 7:50 AM
in reply to: #1309776

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
cchapman3 - 2008-04-01 10:37 PM

Papa,

I will do a little more research but I am almost certain that the slanted top tube is now for two reasons:  1) To eliminate the drastic bend to reach the handlebars as it is on a straight tube without putting in several spacers and 2) If the top tube is slanted there is less frame material thus decreasing the total weight of the bike to some degree.  Some also say that it is more aerodynamic.  I will do some research tonight while I am on duty and let you know what I find out.  The whole kid in a candy store nails it on the head for certain.  Good ride today but it was a little bit windy.  Good luck with the Bike Quest!!!

The slanted top tube is commonly called compact geometry. Its used by several bike companies. I think Giant pioneered the technology but several others are doing it now. The advantages as I see it are that its easier to stand over and it allows for a wide range of flexibility in sizing (easier to adjust). I don't know if its still this way but Giant carried bicycles in Small, Medium, and Large as opposed to 20 different sized bikes that most brands carry. Depending on material it can might have a slight weight advantage.

My wife got one of the giants when we first started racing and eventually sold it to her sister. I rode it for a while and really liked it. We have been comtemplating buying it back because she likes it better than the road bike she has now and her sister doesn't use it much.
2008-04-02 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Some preliminary thougths on getting bikes for you and the wife.
Road vs Tri, I encourage you to go with road bikes. Two reasons: You guys are just starting and seem to be involved in clubs and will likely ride together alot. Road bikes are easier to ride in a group and generally speaking a little easier to handle. The other reason is cost, tri bikes are specialized and the lowest end of tri bikes cost more than the 2nd or even 3rd level of road bikes.

Fit - It is important but its not as complicated as it sounds. Bikes have a range that you can adjust things within and you just have to make sure you find a bike that can work within that range. Go try out a bike in the bike shops and they will tell you what is the right size. Not always exact but they will get you in the ballpark. Fit changes over time. As you get more miles under you on a bike you will make adjustments to your fit. I ride much more aggressively today than I did 6 years ago. My road bike is set up different than my tri bike.

Componentry - Like Chappy says, try to get 105 or better components. The tiagra/sora shifting seems to be a frequent issue. The degree of quality goes from lowest to highest 1) Tiagra/Sora 2) 105 3) Ultegra and 4) Dura Ace. From what I can see today once you get to 105, the difference is primarily weight and grams are not important to you. I will say that again, component weight is not significant in your decision. When you think about weight, add your weight to the equation and the difference between road bikes is insignificant.

Material - I recommend aluminum for value and durability. My garage has aluminum, carbon, and titanium and the rides feel a little different but usually not noticeable. The price tags are way different.

Used Bikes - I would encourage you to talk to members of your tri club and letting them know you are looking for bikes. My reason for that is that triathletes are always looking to buy a new bike and there is very little trade in value on these bikes. For example, I paid $3500 for my bike 3 years ago, it has 8000 miles on it and dispite technology and design enhancements its still faster than most bikes you can buy for under $2500. That said, I would have a hard time selling it for more than $1,000. Why? Because most people willing to spend $2,000 on a bike, want it to be new. Most newer folks buy that first bike and a year later want to upgrade, thats who your looking for. You could also ask at the bike shop about getting a trade in or if they know anyone who has one.

New Bikes- Go talk to your LBS and see if they have any really sweet deals on entry level bikes. You need 2, they may be willing to give a little extra since your trying to get 2. The brands that I think deliver the most value in the entry level are Felt and Giant. I think Sledge rides a Felt, not sure what model.

I tried to write this from the perspective of buying an entry level bike recognizing you gotta buy 2. As you go up the price ladder, the weight you apply to the factors changes significantly.

Feel free to ask lots more questions.
2008-04-02 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1309622

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
cchapman3 - 2008-04-01 9:20 PM

I am currently salivating over a Felt B2 and the Cervelo P2C, $$$ I know, but more realistically I will probably pick up a Felt B12 and look at upgrading the wheels later on.  Gotta get all the gadgets so that I can keep up with Ken.  Hopefully I have provided some good gouge but it was probably more like a quarters worth :0  The most important part of it all though is to get the right size frame for you and your wife.  Good luck.

Man you are looking at 2 great bikes. My wife has the P3C and my buddy that I am riding with has the P2C from 2006 and I ride a P3SL so we are Cervelo biased. I would love to upgrade to carbon but until any of my peeps can outride me I can't rationalize it. I have another buddy who we don't ride with much who has the B2. Whats the price range on those machines. I think they have the p2c with an ultegra group set in the low $2,000's. That would leave you some extra bucks for race wheels. Another cool thing to look at on wheels is a rear disk wheel cover. It cost about 60 bucks and you just put it on your regular wheels when you race. Alot of really good folks use them. I got mine at wheelbuilder.com and they cut it specifically for your wheel.

I don't think you would have any problem keeping up with me, but I would like to ride with you. Your group rides are blazing fast and the group I ride with just doesn't go that fast very often.

Edited by Manatee Express 2008-04-02 3:50 PM

2008-04-02 5:21 PM
in reply to: #1311641

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC

Here is one another bike I am lookin at by a company called Javelin - getting rave reviews on BT and their price is sooooo nice - this model is a closeout - orginal $950.00 - now $224.95!!!  Comes with aero bars , it is a road bike but the guy I spoke with at Javelin recommended this bike for me and the wife since we are just gettin into the tri sport - and this is a much better, comfortable bike then a tri-bike  - they were very knowledgable and helped with sizing and all the other novice questions I had.  Lemme know what you  think Ken and Chappy.  Javelin reccommended a 59' for me since I am 6'2, also stem extenders...

2008-04-02 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Wow, thats an incredible deal. I would jump on it. The frame size sounds about right. Did they ask about any measurements other than heighth? It can be a little more complicated but you are probably good. From what I can tell, all you have left to buy are the pedals which you can get for under $100. Damn, you could spend more on pedals than the bike. LOL.

The negatives, the frame is 2 years old and I don't know much about the italian component groups but for that price its an awesome deal. For that price, if you want to upgrade in a year, you buy a new bike. I think you will be happy with it.

I know one of the guys who bought one and I will check with him to be certain but it really looks like a good deal.

Sweet, I may look at one for my niece.
2008-04-03 6:42 AM

New user
Chicago, Illinois
OK, since we're talking about bikes....I could talk about bikes all day long.

I'd like to get a tri bike, but I'll probably have to ride my road bike for another season and prove I'm serious at being a triathlete before my husband will approve such an expenditure--'cause of course I'll have to get something nice. I'm a girl with expensive tastes. I guess I'll get a clip-on aero bar for my road bike this year--any recommendations? Profile is the only name I really know. My bike is an '03 Lemond Zurich steel frame that I got new old stock last year, and I swapped my Ultegra components from my '99 Raleigh 700 onto it. It's a great bicycle and more than adequate for my needs.

I do like the Felt tri bikes, although I think the paint schemes are getting uglier every year. The S22 looks pretty sweet at $2K.
2008-04-03 7:53 AM
in reply to: #1312596

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
nevans71 - 2008-04-03 6:42 AM

OK, since we're talking about bikes....I could talk about bikes all day long.

I'd like to get a tri bike, but I'll probably have to ride my road bike for another season and prove I'm serious at being a triathlete before my husband will approve such an expenditure--'cause of course I'll have to get something nice. I'm a girl with expensive tastes. I guess I'll get a clip-on aero bar for my road bike this year--any recommendations? Profile is the only name I really know. My bike is an '03 Lemond Zurich steel frame that I got new old stock last year, and I swapped my Ultegra components from my '99 Raleigh 700 onto it. It's a great bicycle and more than adequate for my needs.

I do like the Felt tri bikes, although I think the paint schemes are getting uglier every year. The S22 looks pretty sweet at $2K.

Clip on bars are fine as you have a very good bike. Profile and Vision are 2 solid brands. If you are racing on flat non technical courses, you will see a nice bump in your speed from the aero bars. I raced 3 seasons before I went to a tri bike.

If your really a girl with expensive taste, the Cervelo P3C is the way to go. My wife got one last fall and loves it. That bike just has hot written all over it. I am trying to find a reason to justify getting one myself but that would mean more people would pass me on the run! I guess I am very biased toward the cervelo brand, I think they have stayed 2 steps ahead of everyone else in engineering. That said, they are so expensive. The Felt guys are great too and they tend to come in at a better price point.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Express Mentor Group - closed Rss Feed  

of 18