BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-07 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2559115

New user
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
Lisa, congrats on the PR

M, congrats on the success in the pool!! I'm sure you'll keep going further and further!!

Arthur, wow!!! Congrats on the race!! Best of luck in the HM if we don't see you much before hand.

Anne, congrats on the run! Good to hear the neuroma is coming around.

Also, I do not recall who had the Chile connection, but I am glad to hear everyone minus a grandmother made it through the big one OK. Have the aftershocks caused any issues? I see they just had a mid 6 - 45 minutes ago..

Edited by smarx 2010-03-07 4:47 PM

2010-03-07 4:16 PM
in reply to: #2705054

New user
Steve & Steve,

RE: the scales....I was not upset by that news, I took it as a slight knock on the chin and a 'Dummy, you know its unhealthy if too lose 3+ lbs a weeks so why did you think it would be OK for you to do it?'.

I know that muscle weighs more than fat and the fact I am still doing a fair amount of weight training is not helping my cause. However, going from 2 hours a week of spin class to that plus over an hour in the pool and 3+ hours or running, I figured I'd be at that point of shedding weight a bit quicker. It is what it is and I'm not having a fit.

I'm also the same as SteveA, I am carrying my extra weight in my stomach. It really does not seem to have changed in size (even with measuring it). My clothes are fighting somewhat different but not like I need new sizes!!

2010-03-07 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2705039

New user
SteveB,

I am not in the TI program. Looked at and kind of thought it was a bit more beginnerish than where I think I am. I've been meaning to look at Swim Smooth more, but never have.

Great sounding drill!! Little harder for me to actually do in the pool when I was trying yesterday but I kind of did it. My whole body was trying to sink! It was amazing how as soon as I started 'swimming' again I went right back to the surface.

Forgot about you asking for a stroke count, so all I can tell you is it is somewhere between o and 99. Wink (Yes I was known as being a smart alec all the way through. At one of the last weddings I was in, someone made a comment that based on the male side of the wedding party it would seem that the groom had to some searching to find such a group of class clown's).

I'll try and remember that stroke count for you.

This run today was not nearly as much of a success. Discomfort across the front of my hip angling downward to the inside. Hip flexor maybe? After having that for 5 minutes and trying to run through it, I think I was limping/hobbling a bit as my knee on same side started to ache, so I ended the run a few minutes early. Had my normal slow down and stretch and everything feels OK now. I've been working on trying to strengthen hip adductors and abductors (a few references to do this if you have ITB issues) and forgot to yesterday when I was doing a leg workout. No idea if that played a role or if its because I missed my run on Friday...Either way still good a run.
2010-03-07 4:54 PM
in reply to: #2712424

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
thall0672 - 2010-03-07 I'm trying to get to something under an 11 minute mile myself. I agree about there being room for improvement! Enjoy the beautiful weather. We're having great weather up here in Massachusetts too. Where are you again? Tracey

Tracy, you'll get there ... just takes time and patience, I guess. I live down in Texas. We had a really cold winter for us ... just ask Diane about all of their snow ... after a dreadfully hot summer. Last year when I did this race it was 69 at the start, yesterday the high was predicted to be 69, although I think it got a bit warmer. My daughter is in NYC and they are having a really nice today ... she was happy to be able to ditch her wool coat for the day.

Lisa
2010-03-07 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2712459

User image

Extreme Veteran
Spring TX
Hepeoc - 2010-03-07 9:16 AM Hey group!

Hope everyone is having a good sunday.

Had a good race today, 10k run in just 40'02" without pushing too hard, and on a quite hilly course. 25th overall, 17th in my age-group. I'm hoping this means I can do 38'00" or 38'30" on a flat course. Now just two weeks to go for a really important race for me, half-marathon on the 21st of March.

A.

Congrats on your race, Arthur ... looks like you be more than ready for your upcoming half!

Lisa
2010-03-07 5:25 PM
in reply to: #2712926

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 9:39 PM

2010-03-07 5:33 PM
in reply to: #2712704

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 9:40 PM
2010-03-07 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2712459

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Hepeoc - 2010-03-07 9:16 AM

Hey group!

Hope everyone is having a good sunday.

Had a good race today, 10k run in just 40'02" without pushing too hard, and on a quite hilly course. 25th overall, 17th in my age-group. I'm hoping this means I can do 38'00" or 38'30" on a flat course. Now just two weeks to go for a really important race for me, half-marathon on the 21st of March.

A.

Fantastic! I'm envious of that time. I'm hoping for a sub-45 min 10k at a race in mid-April. Good luck with the half coming up.
2010-03-07 8:16 PM
in reply to: #2706612

User image

latestarter - 2010-03-04 5:28 AM STEVEA,

You do alot of early morning workouts.   Can I ask, what you eat, if anything, before swimming?     Thanks.  

Sure!  I drink a tumbler of coffee and a Promax bar on the way to the gym, and then a Promax Bar after working out on the way to work.  Bars are about 300 cals with 20 grams of protein each, and pretty tasty (Plus there's lots of flavors to keep it interesting).  And, I find that they are not heavy at all, so I don't ever feel there's a rock in my stomach.
2010-03-07 8:23 PM
in reply to: #2706742

User image

stevebradley - 2010-03-04 6:27 AM STEVE (and SHAUN) - You may be right about the muscle mass comment, Steve. Right now I am at 175, and at this stage in the last few off-seasons I have benn at 179-181 or so. Each of those off-seasons have featured a lot of lifting, whereas I have been just three times since December 19! Is that a big part of being only 175 now? There's a trade-off here. I race best when I am relatively light -- 168-174, say. So, it behooves me to keep the weight down, right? But I'm sure that my quick recovery from my separated shoulder last June/July was because I always work my shoulders when I lift, and that's a benefit I can't deny --- but do I want to structure my off-seasons on the possibility of injuries during the season???

STEVE B - personally, I think it's all things in moderation.  I'd agree that racing lighter generally means racing faster.  I think I have a quick 4-5 to drop before IMSG as I work through this peak period.  At the same time, I think I have a lot of work to do this next off season on my glutes and hammies, which may add a pound or two.  I think as long as it's race-specific muscle mass, no worries.  I don't think I'll ever do a bicep curl again while I'm doing tris, or any heavy lat pulldown work and such.  But shoulders, some tri work, legs, etc.  a few well-placed pounds there probably are more help than harm in terms of speed.  (Note all my input is based on 100% scientificLESS information and opinion!)
2010-03-07 8:29 PM
in reply to: #2707501

User image

thall0672 - 2010-03-04 10:01 AM Woo Hoo!!! MAJOR swimming accomplishment for me this morning. I've been practicing doing 50 meter sets with rests in between, and gradually decreasing my rest times to build up my endurance to eventually get to 500 meters. I've been feeling really good with the swims the last few weeks, so today I decided what the heck, I'll go for 250 meters without stopping and see what happens. To my delight and surprise, I was able to complete the full 500 meters! At around 300 meters, my arms started to get tired and I was getting a little winded, but I think it was because I was pulling too hard. So I re-focused on keeping my arms relaxed and rotating my core, and that helped a bunch. It was quite a relaxing swim! It took me about 16:30, so I won't be winning any awards for speed, but I don't care! I finished it!! I'm psyched because back in December, I was turning purple and ready to keel over after doing 75 meters. I remember thinking, how in the world am I going to ever do 500?? So now I can use the time until the tri (August) to work on my technique and therefore (hopefully) improve my speed. Yay! Tracey
  GREAT JOB TRACEY.  Two cents from the peanut gallery - spend some more time extending your distances for a bit, and then perhaps some more getting to the point where you can do those consistently even on bad days.  Work on technique means that soon, 1,000 meters will be as easy as 500, and from there, speed work is more easily incorporated without hurting your distances.

2010-03-07 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2708110

User image

latestarter - 2010-03-04 12:54 PM TRACEY/DIANE,

That's one thing I have no problem with - doing a run/walk in a race.  Alot of people think it is some sort of failure if you can't run the whole race, and that is just not true.  I remember one of the BT coaches said - 'what's your goal? a fast race or saying you ran the 10km w/o walking?   If you want a fast race, do a walk/run combo."   It's hard to believe that you   can actually end up with a faster pace when you have short walk intervals.    In fact, when I took a learn to run clinic a few years ago it included registration to a local Father's Day 5km and they suggested that we do a 5' run, 1' walk combo and even though I felt like I could continue running, I followed their advice and did it in just over 31' which I was very happy with.    

Last year I did the same race and ran the whole distance and it was only a couple minutes faster, but a whole lot more effort.    I also remember the coaches saying that it takes a new runner's body one full year to build up the tendons, ligaments to support running at a faster pace without injury.   I never believed them, but now I now they were right.  

I think as the three of us continue to work through issues we have running, and get stronger, we will achieve our running goals.   

yes

I trained for my marathon on the Galloway method and HIGHLY recommend it.  Run/walk intervals, and do the walks religiously - even when you are feeling good.  They set the stage for the walls that will come later and extend your endurance base.  I think very, very few people actually run an entire marathon without walking at least a little.
2010-03-07 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Hi all,

Yes, in case you couldn't tell, I am on a plane headed back from Atlanta, and passing time on the wi-fi service.  So, apologies up front from the abundant postings in the next hour or so.  LOL.

Quick update on the weekend:

Mom is in much better shape now.  I dare say she's actually stronger now than before she went in the hospital.  Shows that even after 40+ years of smoking and extensive lung damage, it's never too late to quit.  She was up and walking around and sightseeing with us no problem.  So, that was good to see vs. my last visit. 

Workout wise, had two really good runs in Knoxville.  First was 1:45 on the rolling hills.  Steve B, you are right, it's either up or down there - and the Day 1 run was lots of big ups and big downs.  And, a funny/scary story.  About 45 minutes into the run, I'm passing by a double-wide trailer house along a 2-lane road (very common in the area) when three dogs come tearing from the porch  and up the rise to the road and surround me.  They are snarling and barking and yipping at me.  I stopped and tried to stay calm and walk slowly away, only to have them get more aggressive.  So, I backed away slowly to the other side of the road, only to have one circle around back of me and nip at my feet.  So, there I am stranded with three dogs snarling at me.  I tried calling to the house, but nobody came out.   Fortunately, after a few minutes, a van comes by on the road and I hail him down and ask him to give me a ride away from the dogs.  Thank god he came, as I was getting as comfortable as I could with the fact I was going to get mauled by dogs.  One of the mongrels actually chased the car for about a 10th of a mile before giving up the cause.  Good times.  Needless to say, Day 2's run went in the other direction.  LOL.  Anyway, headed home tonight.  Likely not home till 11:00, so it may be an evening workout tomorrow.

Steve, I haven't gotten to the rest of the posts yet, but I hope you and the family are doing as well as can be expected.
2010-03-08 6:40 AM
in reply to: #2713240

User image

Champion

GANG!

Rough count --- 54 posts since my last one. You all have certainly set a big task in front of me! Is that any way to treat a guy in mourning?

Actually, I'm still fairly shaky. This hit me much harder than I thought it would, which just goes to show......I'm not sure what, but it just goes to show. Anyhow, I will meander my way back through everything, hoping to get through it all befoe too long. I'm only home for a few hours today, however, and then it's in to Ottawa for a swim, a run, dinner, and a concert. So, I shall do my best!

2010-03-08 6:47 AM
in reply to: #2712476

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Congratulations on pulling down that coveted 2000th post! How does it feel to have that honor and glory attached to your family name forever?

And as for Denise's comment that I might be a bit envious......not at all! In fact, I generally try to sit back and let others bask in such glories , having grabbed a few myself with the other group last year. I mean, there is only so much space in one's trophy case for honors such as the 000th post!

But if you are STILL celebrating it, it's time to stop and get back to training!

2010-03-08 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2713469

User image

Champion

ARTHUR!!!!!!!!!! ---

Welcome back! You were missed!

I see that you rabbitted your way through a 10km in a whopping 40 minutes --- WOWZERS!! So I guess if part of your absence was due to the fact that you were honing your running chops, it's all good. You must feel great about that; to hit 40 for a 10km is a huge goal for most very serious runners. And it's still so bloody early in the season. I genuflect in your general direction!

2010-03-08 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2709324

User image

Champion

X3 (or is it X4 or X5?) about Galloway! His philosophy/approach has worked for thousands upon thousands of runners of ALL levels.

2010-03-08 7:18 AM
in reply to: #2710041

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

I will go to the website and see what the speed-tuner clinic sounds like, but sight-unseen I say YES! -- sign up for it! This is a great opportunity to have coaching/instruction, and I can't imagine that it will be beyond you. So if you can afford it in terms of money and time allotted for that day, then do it!

I remember looking at it way back when and thinking maybe I should sign up for it, but at that time - and now - I'm still not even sure I will even be able to make it down there. Now it turns out that Lynn will be returning to Toronto that weekend to settle some of her father's affairs, and even though she almost certainly will not need me (who cannot balance a checkbook.... ) there, I'm holding off on any further commitments to Multisport World for a few days.

That said, however, I'm still aiming for it! I'm not about to put down any money on a clinic at this point, but just to be there is a hoped-for goal. And a run at any pace along the Charles sounds good!

2010-03-08 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2713492

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

Oh, yeah -- sign up for both if you can. In fact, if both are still available if and when I decide I can actually make it down there, I REALLY should do both myself. My last swim clinic was in August '06 (with Paul, the Swim Smooth guru), for heaven's sake, so I'm overdue for some controlled work on my perpetually less-than-optimal stroke.

If you sign up for the speed-tuner, you might want to schedule it for 3-5 hours after the efficiency clinic. I have found some swim clinics to be both physically and mentally tiring, and also with TI it would be good to have some time in between to think about what you did in the first clinic. Having said that, though, you might want to call or email them and get a first-hand recommendation. (If you do, let me know what you find out!)

2010-03-08 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2710654

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Those are massive time improvements!!! And I think that with successive efforts in Le Suit you will see even bigger improvements. Was there anything about the wetsuit that you didn't like, or that didn't feel right? There is no mention of phoning 911 to be extricated from it ("And bring the Jaws of Life, please, as it's REALLY tight!"), so that's a good thing, eh?

And how many "What the ....?" looks did you receive? (Don't mind them, they're just the unenlightened cretins!)

2010-03-08 7:43 AM
in reply to: #2710897

User image

Champion

ARTHUR again -

I just went back through the details of your race. A HILLY 10km!!! I will genuflect in your general direction yet again....and again....and again!

That is remarkable and then some, and I'd say that unless anything nasty befalls you either before or during the Lisbon EDP h-m, your time goal is VERY doable. What is the nature of that course -- flat, rolling.......hilly??

2010-03-08 7:47 AM
in reply to: #2711724

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Any bike show report? My initial thought was that I wish I had known about that ----- but then I realized that I had other things to attend to on Saturday.

Wait 'til next year!

2010-03-08 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2711724

User image

Champion

LISA -

Great race! I agree with Denise, that the 10:46 pace was quite a bit under the goal of 11:00 -- that's a very decisive difference!

And the other decisive differences are the ones compared against the January race, and the same race from last year. Most people see PRs in terms of seconds, or smaller chomps out of a minute, but you're seeing yours in whole minutes! When I get down genuflecting east-southeasterdly towards Arthur, I will pivot south-southwesterly and genuflect towards you, too!

2010-03-08 7:59 AM
in reply to: #2711919

User image

Champion

M -

Au contraire! I'd say that your victory was quite large as well! Not only did you have a great swim success, but your did it "off the bike" --- you did a brick! The bump from 150 to 200 is significant, and the 2 lengths without stopping is superb. And having someone tell you that your form is good -- BONUS!!!!!!

Congrats!!

2010-03-08 8:13 AM
in reply to: #2711946

User image

Champion

MANDY -

There's tight, and then there's TIGHT -- and those measurements come across as REALLY TIGHT! But the re-aligning adjustments you have made seem to have paid off, as evidenced by the pain-free 13-miler, so that must be making you feel positively divine!

Road camber is a bugger, potentially a very big problem. But let me get this straight - if you are running facing traffic, don't you mean that your right side is higher? Your right shoulder is facing the one that's closest to the cenetr of the road, yes?

Anyhow, getting back to cambered roads, they can pose big problems for anyone, but especailly for people who tend to underpronate. And when you say that it's your left side that is tight, and that the tightness starts at your hips, then that can predispose you to iliotibial band problems - I think. If you can, try to switch roads, or even sides of the road, as often as you can. That doesn't mean wavering back-and-forth, but mmaybe a mile at a time per side.

The problem I have in doing this is that I run so often facing traffic that it feels really weird to switch over to the other side of a road (with the traffic coming from behind me). I have a lot of isolated roads around where I live, and even when I consciously head over to "the other side" of the road, I often find myself a few minutes later having drifted back to my normal side. I'm not aware of having done it or even thought about it; it might be a bit like a homing pigeon?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276