BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-09 6:02 PM
in reply to: #2715558

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!
stevebradley - 2010-03-08 10:46 PM DENISE - Are you lubricating your calves/ankles/heels? Either BodyGlide or PAM? Lots? (And remember -- NO Vaseline, which eats neoprene. Actually, any petroleum-based lubricant is bad for neoprene.) The good thing about your problem (which, by the way, is shared by countless wetsuit-wearers) is that it is easy to practice at. All you really need to do is get the wetsuit on no further than your kness, and then work at forcing it down. My preferred technique is to force both hands down until my fingers are about at my ankles - and then continuing to force them further down while at the same time fulcruming my forearms outward a bit so the overall opening gets larger. Once I have one foot free I can either repeat the process with the other foot, or stand up and stand on the neoprene wad around the still-encased foot and yank that foot free. Beyond this, I vary as to my stance. I'd say it's 50/50 -- half the time kneeling with the leg I am not working on, and half the time in a bent-over position. I'm not sure why I decide one way one time and the other way the other time; maybe it varies according to which suit I am wearing. (Honestly, I cannot picture this right now!) One final bit of advice -- if none of the above workwell enough, try a double-layer approach -- BodyGlide first, and then PAM on top of that. And thinking one step further, spray PAM on the OUTSIDE of the suit from the knees down. This will make it easier for the suit to slide over itself, which is what it has to do during the final phase of forcing it past your feet. (And with PAM, go for the "original" flavor; I'm sure crawfish must find the flavored varieties too yummy to resist. Clack, clack! )

Oh Steve, Steve, Steve - why don't I listen to you the first time you tell me something.  You told me to use Pam or BodyGlide before but I kinda forgot.  Anyway - I am now happy, happy.  I followed your instructions - sprayed Pam on legs and feet and bottom outside of suit - pushed fingers down inside while pushing open.  Worked great - just took 2 pushes per leg/foot to get it off.  I sat in a chair for this 1st try - but for future practices I will try bending or kneeling.  Thank you so much.

Mandy - I had tried the stepping on wetsuit but it didn't work - I think with the Pam it probably will - I'll try that the next time I practice - didn't have a lot of time today.  Thanks for advice.

Denise

2010-03-09 6:54 PM
in reply to: #2713632

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-08 9:32 AM ANNE - Anatomy time! I LOVE anatomy time! I now have a new thingy to learn about -- the flexor hallucis longus. I've never heard of that little sweetie, which I guess means it's one of about seven lower body parts that hasn't given me problems over the years. And "gummed up" --- I've never heard that expression, but I like it and think I know EXACTLY what is referring to! And when you get a chance, can you try to describe the new gastrocnemius stretch he recommended. (If it's anything like the other stretches in the world, I'd like to know about it ---- even if I continue to be too lazy and stupid to actually try to do it regularly! ) Hiking boats for THREE hours at the bike show? Mercy!

STEVE,

I will try to explain the stretch but don't know how well I can do it.    You can do it with the foot against the wall or using a stepper.   I try to stay away from using the stairs as a step, because it is too easy to slip off and it's better if you can put the step about 6" (or more for taller people, I guess) away from the wall, so that when you lean into it you have the wall to hold you.     You keep the knee straight/locked and drop the heel off the back of the step but instead of having the foot straight (flush to the wall), you have the foot at a 45* angle to left and lean into it.   You can feel the stretch on the inside where the FHL initiates in the calf, instead of middle back when you keep the foot flush. 

Hope that makes some sort of sense.  
2010-03-09 8:26 PM
in reply to: #2716052

User image

Champion

DWAYNE -

I will ferret through my sports injury books and try to figure out what might be going on with you --- but no promises, as what has happened to you is a new one on me. From waist to hip you say.........whereabouts on/around the hip? Right on the side, or sort of on the back side of the hip?

This might be cold comfort right now, but in general I find that it is good when problems in the back begin to move around. Well, migration is good, but spreading is not. But as you describe it, it sounds as if it was ONCE at the waist and is no longer there, but at the hip. If this is the case, then that's better (I think) than settling in at one location for the long haul. Hopefully it will continue to move around until it runs out of real estate and flat out disappears. In the meantime, though, I will see what I can find about this.

(Another thought is that in favoring the back problem you overcompensated elsewhere - i.e., the hips - and while the original back issue is gone, you now have a hip glitch to deal with. ??)

2010-03-09 8:32 PM
in reply to: #2717390

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Good deal! I'm glad that worked!

Due to cost, I use PAM more frequently than BodyGlide, although BG is the only stuff that will work against chafing. So, I generally save BG for my neck, and use PAM on my lower legs and sometimes on the outside of the suit, as I mentioned yesterday.

BG is also great for blisters and wannabe blisters. Keep that thought in mind!

Were I stranded on a desert island, BG would make it onto my short list of items to have with me. Would it be the choice for the ONLY object to have on a desert island? Hmmmm. Maybe, just maybe......

2010-03-09 8:53 PM
in reply to: #2716523

User image

Champion

STEVE -

First Dwayne, and now you -- another medical situation that leaves me scratching my head!

Big toe, and flexing it hurts on the underside.....the bottom of the foot.....the "fat pad"? Were it more on top or even on the side I'd ventue a quick thought of a bunion, but usually those protrude some and I think you'd notice that aspect of it. How is it doing today?

Man, I hate the problems that don't have an obvious cause, where there is no particular episode that screams "Guilty! Guilty!" I've had more than my fair share of "howthehelldidTHAThappen?" injuries, and all I can do with them is take wild guesses at remedies. For yours, though, I'd at least say that it's good that there is no point-tenderness.

Those are massive numbers you generated on the Spinervals session. I'm not sure I've ever been near that close on any sustained ride. I mean, I can torture myself exquisitely for a very short period and MAYBE spike up to what you did, but I'd implode within a minute or two if I ever tried to sustain it.

But heck --- if you think your numbers are accurate, send them to Coach Troy along with a cover letter requesting to be one of his demo riders. You're the kind of person he peers down at the computer of and says. "Good job, you're at 178 beats per minute!"

Fine job on the extra sleep. Keep that happening!

2010-03-10 5:36 AM
in reply to: #2717640

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-09 9:53 PM STEVE -  Big toe, and flexing it hurts on the underside.....the bottom of the foot.....the "fat pad"? 

STEVEA, STEVEB,

That sounds an awful lot like the Flexor Hallucis Longis and its 'mate', the short one - digitalis?  might be involved.   Based on my non-existent medical expertise.       But worth a look at.   I remember my podiatrist and a PT saying how important it is to massage the bottom of the foot, after running, where tendons insert to the big toe - just never knew why.     They also said to make it a practice to `work`the tendons on both sides of the ankles while you are sitting watching TV.  

Steve - Hope you woke up this morning and the pain was gone.

2010-03-10 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2717880

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
latestarter - 2010-03-10 5:36 AM
stevebradley - 2010-03-09 9:53 PM STEVE -  Big toe, and flexing it hurts on the underside.....the bottom of the foot.....the "fat pad"? 

STEVEA, STEVEB,

That sounds an awful lot like the Flexor Hallucis Longis and its 'mate', the short one - digitalis?  might be involved.   Based on my non-existent medical expertise.       But worth a look at.   I remember my podiatrist and a PT saying how important it is to massage the bottom of the foot, after running, where tendons insert to the big toe - just never knew why.     They also said to make it a practice to `work`the tendons on both sides of the ankles while you are sitting watching TV.  

Steve - Hope you woke up this morning and the pain was gone.

Hi,

Anne - My goodness! You must know every muscle in the body.
Denise
2010-03-10 8:26 AM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

Above average temps this week - in the 40s.  Plus light rain for a couple of days.  This is great.  Snow and ice are melting.  I might be able to get outside on the bike in a week.

My sympathies to all you guys with physical problems.  I'm just waiting for my turn.

Denise
2010-03-10 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2714458

User image

Champion

DENISE -

Going back a few days to see what I might've glossed over, and there is your question about where I live. I, too, am about 30 miles from a city, that being Ottawa. If you have a map that shows Ontario, look eastward from Ottawa along highway 417 and you'll see Casselman -- that's us! It's a formerly small Francophone farming community, gradually growing as Ottawa expands. We've been here since '91, looking to move but prone to false start after false start after false start. Maybe by the fall?

For a long time I've felt like a Man Without A Country. I'm an Caucasian, English-speaking American.......but for years I have lived in Canada, more specifically in a French-speaking community, and taught for 19 years on on The Akwesasne Mohawk reservation. It's all so confusing sometimes!

To swim, I need to go to Ottawa. And even for open-water swims, that's either in Ottawa or along the St.Lawrence River, west of Cornwall (where my school was). For a gym -- that's either Ottawa or Cornwall, also! So, I'm kind of stuck out here in the flatlands, but it's great for easy-access (albeit flat) cycling and running. And I make it into Ottawa ~5X a week, just because Ottawa is beautiful and has just about all the amenities we could want.

And that's that!

2010-03-10 10:00 AM
in reply to: #2715609

User image

Champion

KASIA -

Great news! Your name-dopping was all done with elan and aplomb --- and accuratley, to boot!

As for your thoughts on mixing and matching plans, I say by all means, do it. The manner you are considering does indeed make sense, and that counts for a lot. But even beyond that, I subscribe to the idea that this stuff isn't rocket science, and really -- if you put 300 coaches in a room and had them each come up with the first week of a 16-week olympic-distance plan, no two plans would be the same. And I see that you remember what my former fantastic coach, Erik Cagnina, used to tell me, that making workout plans is more of an art than a science -- so feel free to color outside the lines when you need to!

Another way to approach this is to look at the TIMES for each of the Fitz runs and follow that, but doing it at whatever run/walk sequence works best for you. But really, how you explain things in your third paragraph sounds very good, and if you can follow that then you should be very well-served.

As for your final comment - "Hopefully it's correct" - I think that what "correct" all boils down to is if the approach is workable and the goal is attainable. Stuff can happen along the way to derail even the best-laid plans, but if you can avoid too much of that "stuff", I think you'll find that the way you're looking at Fitz and C210K should be perfctly "correct"!

2010-03-10 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2718386

User image

Champion

ANNE -

NICE bikework yesterday!
I wanna know how the fartlek goes today!
Congrats on weight drop!
Many thanks on all the recent anatomy posts -- you're certainly feeding my physiological fetish!

2010-03-10 11:07 AM
in reply to: #2715714

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
manfarr1974 - 2010-03-09 7:43 AM

latestarter - 2010-03-09 7:25 AM

TRACEY,

This link is even cooler - informative and interactive.   http://www.getbodysmart.com/ap/muscularsystem/footmuscles/flexorhallucis/tutorial.html

THAT is so COOL!!! Thanks for posting.  I love how you can dissect the calf!

Cheers,
Mandy

Anne:

That IS so cool! I love anatomy stuff (I'm a biology person anyway from way back when!) Thanks for posting it.

Tracey

2010-03-10 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
Did a short 2 mile run today. Very close to the end, the neuroma was REALLY killing me. I took off my shoe and vigorously massaged the area for about a minute as SteveB and Anne have suggested. And it worked! I ran for another few minutes and it felt good as new. No twinge or anything. So glad I tried it. It doesn't do much for my race times of course, but at least I know I have it in my back pocket if it flares up like that again.

Tracey

2010-03-10 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2717640

User image

stevebradley - 2010-03-09 6:53 PM STEVE - First Dwayne, and now you -- another medical situation that leaves me scratching my head! Big toe, and flexing it hurts on the underside.....the bottom of the foot.....the "fat pad"? Were it more on top or even on the side I'd ventue a quick thought of a bunion, but usually those protrude some and I think you'd notice that aspect of it. How is it doing today? Man, I hate the problems that don't have an obvious cause, where there is no particular episode that screams "Guilty! Guilty!" I've had more than my fair share of "howthehelldidTHAThappen?" injuries, and all I can do with them is take wild guesses at remedies. For yours, though, I'd at least say that it's good that there is no point-tenderness. Those are massive numbers you generated on the Spinervals session. I'm not sure I've ever been near that close on any sustained ride. I mean, I can torture myself exquisitely for a very short period and MAYBE spike up to what you did, but I'd implode within a minute or two if I ever tried to sustain it. But heck --- if you think your numbers are accurate, send them to Coach Troy along with a cover letter requesting to be one of his demo riders. You're the kind of person he peers down at the computer of and says. "Good job, you're at 178 beats per minute!" Fine job on the extra sleep. Keep that happening!

Well, the foot is worse, but I think I misdiagnosed the pain.  It is still, definitely a big toeish issue.  When I walk on the foot, and the toe flexes/bends, the pain is pretty bad, but it is more on the spine of the arch coming from the big toe.  If I stand flat footed and then roll forward so that the foot is flexed and there is pressure from the ball of the foot through the toes, the pain starts around the middle knuckle on the big toe and extends through the top of the arch, and more on the top than on the bottom. 

Perhaps the bottom hurt more earlier as I was compensating when walking. 

Anyway, I have an appt. with a sports doc tomorrow to look at that and also poke around the left knee, as it continues to give me some grief (but manageable grief) from time to time.  I'm freaking out a little bit because of the timing of it, and also because my hips and knees are already sore from compensating when I have to walk.  The last thing I need is to injure something else while compensating for an injury!  LOL.

On the good side, I got in a GREAT swim yesterday at the local pool which has reopened.  Did a very solid 80-minute swim with good pacing and about 3 30-second water breaks. 

My plan tonight is to go home, and jump on the trainer and see how the foot responds to spinning.   If there is any discomfort, I'm off the bike and back in the pool tonight.  Perhaps this is a blessing in disguise, as in the back of my mind, I'm always worried about the swim, and if I need to be off the feet for a week or so, it'll really force me to dial in that swim! 

Lemons...lemonade.

2010-03-10 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2718696

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
SAquavia - 2010-03-10 12:24 PM

Lemons...lemonade.

I agree Steve!

Tracey

2010-03-10 4:50 PM

Master
Kitchener
STEVEB,

Excited that I finally have some new wheels on order.  After looking around on-line and at the bike show, ended up going with custom wheels from True North who also made my bike (link is on my blog).    I love my ZIPP wheels but they are just not good on really windy days, and I also want them to last.   

I propose the following for your race wheels:

Weight

Rims

Mavic Open Pro 32 hole

Hubs

Shimano Ultegra

Spokes

DT Revolution

*w/o skewers

These are a no nonsense pair of wheels. The Open Pro rim is Mavic’s flagship rim, and the latest Ultegra hubs are comparable to Dura Ace, but at half the price.   

Smile

2010-03-10 4:53 PM
in reply to: #2718416

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-10 11:08 AM ANNE - NICE bikework yesterday! I wanna know how the fartlek goes today! Congrats on weight drop! Many thanks on all the recent anatomy posts -- you're certainly feeding my physiological fetish!

Thanks Steve.

Pretty much a crappy run (can I even call it a run?) today, but I am still not discouraged.   Just a matter of time, and this too shall pass.  

2010-03-10 5:22 PM
in reply to: #2718386

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Steve,

Awesome. I'll try your approach about sticking with Fitz times and doing the walk/run sequence within it. If that doesn't work, I can always go back to the original plan. I'm a color-within-the-lines kind of person, so the idea of mixing and matching is killing me. I guess you gotta learn somewhere.

Kasia
2010-03-10 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2718652

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
I went for my first official swim yesterday and managed to knock out Level 2 of Fitz' plan. Well, all but the last 50 yds of the cool-down cuz I just wasn't feeling it. Boredom had begun to kick in. At the beginning, my shoulder was bugging me but that eased up the more I swam. Apparently there's a reason you're supposed to warm up before workouts. Next time I'll even remember to stretch. Eureka!

Today calls for a 45' foundation bike. I skipped the morning ride in favor of sleeping in. MISTAKE. The weather for the last 1.5 hours has been snow, rain, snow, sleet, and now we're back to snow. But my friend is still gonna go with or without me, and like hell if I'm going to chicken out, so I'm going. In fear. Apparently this doesn't faze her. That's what I get for training with a native Vermonter...
2010-03-10 6:21 PM
in reply to: #2718696

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
SAquavia - 2010-03-10 12:24 PM

Lemons...lemonade.

Good luck at the appointment - and great attitude regarding the injury.  Hone in your swim, recover from the injury, and come back stronger.

And let us know what you find out...

Cheers,

Mandy
2010-03-10 8:39 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas

After almost two weeks of not running, finally ventured onto the treadmill this morning.  I am thrilled that I was able to get through a 2 mile run/walk in 23:28 with no major issues with my sciatica.  A little sore at the end but no real pain and hopefully the stretches will take care of it.  I still can't believe how quickly I got through this episode compared to the usual healing time.  Just glad that it seems to be over for the most part and I will make sure there are no ladders in my future:-)

SteveA and Dwayne, hope you two find some relief soon.  Tracey, sounds like you have found a great solution to keep in your back pocket for dealing with your neuroma. 

2010-03-10 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2719909

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 9:44 PM
2010-03-11 7:31 AM
in reply to: #2713884

New user
SteveB,

Went for a run last night. Getting bored with my 'fast' pace so I upped it 5% to 6.5mph (9:13 min/mile or 5:43 min/km I think if my conversion is right...) with the usual 0.5 incline. Went great. Garmin was dead so no real clue about HR but sure didn't feel like I was over exerting myself. Definitely felt like I could have kept going for a while longer. Felt like a very good pace to me. During my long 'slow' runs of 5.5 mph (10:40 mi/mile I think), I feel like I'm going to slow and like I never hit my stride/pace. BUT as so many smart people say and is so often quoted I know I'm being intelligible about not pushing too hard too fast.

Wanted to go for a swim but my one shoulder is a bit sore. I increased the weights I'm using in one shoulder exercise on Monday and I think that might be the culprit. We'll see what it feels like today after the cycle class.

Here I thought I was living a bit of a confused existence but you take the cake with living in what was a predominately Francophone area and teaching on a reserve! Ottawa does have almost everything one would want other than a thriving industry for mechanical engineers. Otherwise I would probably still be living there.

Also, the triathlon in memory of an old schoolmate is going to be in Ottawa. Either the National Capital Tri on July 31 or The Canadian on Sept 4th. They are still in the works of how to incorporate a memorial event into either. So, I might be up in your neck of the woods this summer.

Hope everyone's having a good week!

2010-03-11 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

So - anybody have any races in March?

Denise
2010-03-11 11:14 AM
in reply to: #2720240

User image

LadyNorth - 2010-03-11 6:15 AM Hi,

So - anybody have any races in March?

Denise

YES!  Showdown at Sunset on March 27th.  Half Ironman distance in Las Vegas.  It's looks pretty cool, as the swim wave starts at 1:00 pm.  It'll be cool to sleep in, have a good meal, and hopefully cross the finish line to a spectacular sunset (or even better, in time to cool down, have a snack and then watch a spectacular sunset!).  Dare to dream!

Thinking out loud about time goals:
Swim (1.2 miles):  40 minutes?  45 for a bad swim?
T1:  10 minutes? - no idea how a T1 looks in a HIM, probably much larger area than what I'm used to.
Bike (56 miles):  3:15 if I average 17 mph?  2:57 or so if I average 19mph?  On a rolling hill training ride on PCH, this is typically a 2:40 - 2:45 effort.  With the hills on this one, I'm expecting more along the lines of a 17 mph effort
T2:  10 minutes?
Run (13.1 miles):  Training runs I'm doing this in 1:45 - 1:50 after a 30-45 minute trainer session.  Figure 2:10 if I'm down to a 10-minute mile?  2:00 if I'm at a 9-minute mile pace? 

So, I think a good goal would be 6:25 based on my training times?
A GREAT race would look like 5:40?

Giddy with anticipation.

Hopefully, it all goes well.  I have the Dr. Appt today.  Sure enough, the foot is feeling much, much improved from yesterday.  LOL.  Still a bit tender, so it may have just been a bad bruise (perhaps shoes were too tight, or the time trail on Monday night tweaked it?).  Anyway, I figure I'll keep the appt, as the left knee continues to be tender and I'll have him check the foot out anyway.   If all goes well, I'll be back on the treadmill tonight or tomorrow and long-run on Sunday. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276