Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  
Moderators: the bear, kaqphin, tinkerbeth, D001, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 182

2013-08-16 8:37 AM
in reply to: navbtcret

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Subject: RE: 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us?
Originally posted by navbtcret

Day 631, 4.2 easy miles.

Have a Great Race this weekend!

2013-08-16 9:25 AM
in reply to: Lumber Dad

User image

Day 632, 2.2 miles to keep the steak alive and the legs loose. Thanks everyone for the well wishes and support, it means a lot. I had a great night sleep last night and hopefully I will again tonight. I'll will heading for Lockport, NY soon, it is just a 2 hour drive, and relax the rest of the day. I'll have an early dinner and a few beers, gotta get the last crabs in you know. I probably will not check in until Sunday afternoon or evening after I get home and probably after a nap too. The race is just clock timed and no way to track runners/. Still hoping to come in under 20 hours but I will be happy with finishing in any time. Time to put the training and this almost 51 year old body to the test. I hope everyone has a good weekend of training and fun.
2013-08-16 10:14 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
Can't wait to check in here Sunday night or Monday and read about it. My legs will probably hurt just from that!
2013-08-16 1:39 PM
in reply to: MSU_Brad

#289- 11 mi and 8 x 100m strides.

Avg pace 7:31. Started off slower, then ran mostly in the 7:10s to 7:20s range. I didn't want to run that fast today, but I just needed to mentally. I have to convince myself that I can hold 7:10 or under for a marathon. I'm still not sure. I guess I have to stop thinking so much and do the training at the correct paces, ok, next run and those thereafter I will pace correctly. Maybe.
2013-08-16 2:07 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by navbtcret Day 632, 2.2 miles to keep the steak alive and the legs loose. Thanks everyone for the well wishes and support, it means a lot. I had a great night sleep last night and hopefully I will again tonight. I'll will heading for Lockport, NY soon, it is just a 2 hour drive, and relax the rest of the day. I'll have an early dinner and a few beers, gotta get the last crabs in you know. I probably will not check in until Sunday afternoon or evening after I get home and probably after a nap too. The race is just clock timed and no way to track runners/. Still hoping to come in under 20 hours but I will be happy with finishing in any time. Time to put the training and this almost 51 year old body to the test. I hope everyone has a good weekend of training and fun.

Oh Ron... GOOD LUCK!!! Totally will be thinking of you and eagerly awaiting an update.   Might have to stalk you on the results page :) Have a wonderful time!

2013-08-16 10:00 PM
in reply to: ImSore

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by ImSore #289- 11 mi and 8 x 100m strides. Avg pace 7:31. Started off slower, then ran mostly in the 7:10s to 7:20s range. I didn't want to run that fast today, but I just needed to mentally. I have to convince myself that I can hold 7:10 or under for a marathon. I'm still not sure. I guess I have to stop thinking so much and do the training at the correct paces, ok, next run and those thereafter I will pace correctly. Maybe.

This is cracking me up.  I could have written these words with different (read: much slower) paces inserted here.  LOL. When I see how slowly  I have to run to be in Zone 2 I can barely--BARELY--stand it.  Yeah, sometimes I don't stand it;) Trying to be better though.

#3, 9.3

2013-08-17 7:55 PM
in reply to: switch

Originally posted by switch

Originally posted by ImSore #289- 11 mi and 8 x 100m strides. Avg pace 7:31. Started off slower, then ran mostly in the 7:10s to 7:20s range. I didn't want to run that fast today, but I just needed to mentally. I have to convince myself that I can hold 7:10 or under for a marathon. I'm still not sure. I guess I have to stop thinking so much and do the training at the correct paces, ok, next run and those thereafter I will pace correctly. Maybe.

This is cracking me up.  I could have written these words with different (read: much slower) paces inserted here.  LOL. When I see how slowly  I have to run to be in Zone 2 I can barely--BARELY--stand it.  Yeah, sometimes I don't stand it Trying to be better though.

#3, 9.3

#290- 6 miles.

Left my watch at home!! Just went by RPE and took it easy. Not sure how slowly I ran, but it was much slower than if I had my watch. Got a little impatient in the last 2 miles, and ran somewhat faster, but hey, baby steps.
2013-08-17 9:56 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP
Originally posted by ImSore

This is cracking me up.  I could have written these words with different (read: much slower) paces inserted here.  LOL. When I see how slowly  I have to run to be in Zone 2 I can barely--BARELY--stand it.  Yeah, sometimes I don't stand it;) Trying to be better though.

#3, 9.3

#290- 6 miles. Left my watch at home!! Just went by RPE and took it easy. Not sure how slowly I ran, but it was much slower than if I had my watch. Got a little impatient in the last 2 miles, and ran somewhat faster, but hey, baby steps.
Good thinking! The first step is admitting we have a problem, right? I'm much better without the watch too. In the winter sometimes I'll put it in my pocket so I can't peek, but I still get the run data. Day 4, 10.4. Sending get-good-sleep bones to Ron. I can't believe tomorrow is his big day. Go Ron :)
2013-08-18 11:40 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI
I'm good through day 21 including a 5K in a race today. Anxious to hear about Ron's race.
2013-08-18 2:26 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by MSU_Brad I'm good through day 21 including a 5K in a race today. Anxious to hear about Ron's race.

Me too! GO RON!  (and "bones" up above?? lol! effing autocorrect)

How was your race Brad?  How's the calf?  Officially all better?

---#5, 20.0

2013-08-18 3:24 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Originally posted by MSU_Brad I'm good through day 21 including a 5K in a race today. Anxious to hear about Ron's race.

---#5, 20.0

2nd in my AG. A win eluded me by about 2 minutes. I won the swim, won the bike, and was 11th in the run. Ha. AG winner beat me by 6 minutes (19-25) in the run. If I could just gain some speed, I'd be pretty good. Frustrating.

The calf feels 100%. Thanks for checking!

2013-08-18 4:17 PM

User image

Originally posted by MSU_Brad

---#5, 20.0

2nd in my AG. A win eluded me by about 2 minutes. I won the swim, won the bike, and was 11th in the run. Ha. AG winner beat me by 6 minutes (19-25) in the run. If I could just gain some speed, I'd be pretty good. Frustrating.

Great job Brad and glad to hear the calf is holding up.
2013-08-18 4:37 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Day 633 and 634, 100.5 miles between the two days. The quick down and dirty, finished in 21 hours and 32 minutes and I believe 12 seconds. I think I was 10th overall and won my age group but will not know for sure until the official results are posted in the next few days on their site. I am so sore and exhausted even after a little nap today.

The weather was hot, low to mid 80's and no shade until late in the afternoon, like after 7 pm it was tough but the humidity was not bad. I came in at the 50 mile half way point in just over 8 hours and 30 minutes but obviously my pace was to fast for the conditions as because it took it's toll after 62.5 miles. I completed that in 11 hours and 32 minutes but had to spend extra time in the aide stations after that. I ended up spending almost two hours in the aide station and porta johns but managed to persevere. It was so nice having a pacer the last 25 miles, the first 12.5 were not very great but I started motoring again the last 12.5 as you will be able to see my miles splits from the Garmin link I post. It has been an incredible journey to get here and I feel very humble in this accomplishment. I learned a lot about 100 mile ultras and the first thing is I REALLY have no desire to do another even though some of the veterans that raced said I should because I did so well in my first but they can have then. It just takes too much of a commitment to training to do well in this distance and I do not think I want to do it again. We'll se in a few days when I am feeling a little better.

Did I mention how bad I feel, I chafed in places I never chafed before and place that a man should not and I'll leave it at that. Surprisingly I only have one blister and it is not in a bad place, the inside of my big toe, I attribute that to the Injini toe socks that I wear.

Also my streak may be in jeopardy tomorrow because I feel so bad and am having trouble just walking right now but I made peace with the fact that that could happen when I signed up for this race. I will do everything in my power to run at least a mile tomorrow though I have until about 11:30 at night to get out and get it done.

One last thing, if I never have to eat another shot block or gel again in my life it will be to soon. I did eat some good food in the aide stations though, pb&j's, grilled cheese sandwiches, and I also had one slice of pizza along with the normal oranges, watermelon, bananas, and such.

Thank you all for sharing this journey with me and your support leading up to it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/361051767

Edited by navbtcret 2013-08-18 4:37 PM
2013-08-18 7:52 PM

Day 633 and 634, 100.5 miles between the two days. The quick down and dirty, finished in 21 hours and 32 minutes and I believe 12 seconds. I think I was 10th overall and won my age group but will not know for sure until the official results are posted in the next few days on their site. I am so sore and exhausted even after a little nap today.

The weather was hot, low to mid 80's and no shade until late in the afternoon, like after 7 pm it was tough but the humidity was not bad. I came in at the 50 mile half way point in just over 8 hours and 30 minutes but obviously my pace was to fast for the conditions as because it took it's toll after 62.5 miles. I completed that in 11 hours and 32 minutes but had to spend extra time in the aide stations after that. I ended up spending almost two hours in the aide station and porta johns but managed to persevere. It was so nice having a pacer the last 25 miles, the first 12.5 were not very great but I started motoring again the last 12.5 as you will be able to see my miles splits from the Garmin link I post. It has been an incredible journey to get here and I feel very humble in this accomplishment. I learned a lot about 100 mile ultras and the first thing is I REALLY have no desire to do another even though some of the veterans that raced said I should because I did so well in my first but they can have then. It just takes too much of a commitment to training to do well in this distance and I do not think I want to do it again. We'll se in a few days when I am feeling a little better.

Did I mention how bad I feel, I chafed in places I never chafed before and place that a man should not and I'll leave it at that. Surprisingly I only have one blister and it is not in a bad place, the inside of my big toe, I attribute that to the Injini toe socks that I wear.

Also my streak may be in jeopardy tomorrow because I feel so bad and am having trouble just walking right now but I made peace with the fact that that could happen when I signed up for this race. I will do everything in my power to run at least a mile tomorrow though I have until about 11:30 at night to get out and get it done.

One last thing, if I never have to eat another shot block or gel again in my life it will be to soon. I did eat some good food in the aide stations though, pb&j's, grilled cheese sandwiches, and I also had one slice of pizza along with the normal oranges, watermelon, bananas, and such.

Thank you all for sharing this journey with me and your support leading up to it.

A few things:

First, I knew you would get it done. Congrats on that.

Second, you are crazy but awesome.

Third, "We'll se in a few days when I am feeling a little better," means that when your brain forgets how much pain your body is in right now, you will be itching to do another, and deep down inside you know there are too many great races out there to stop.

Fourth, you are crazy but awesome.

Fifth, you have accomplished something I dream of doing one day, and are an inspiration. Take some time to bask in your amazing accomplishment.
2013-08-18 8:00 PM

#291- 13.1.

Not a race, just a training run, had to run the extra 0.1, I just had to. Pace right where I wanted. Had 2 weeks of recovery, then 54 miles this week. Feeling sort of beat up, still on the fence of whether to drop to the 12/70 plan from the 12/85. Not sure if I am up for 67 miles this coming week. Guess I will take it day by day.
2013-08-18 8:51 PM

User image

Regular
LHOTP

Originally posted by ImSore
Originally posted by navbtcret Day 633 and 634, 100.5 miles between the two days. The quick down and dirty, finished in 21 hours and 32 minutes and I believe 12 seconds. I think I was 10th overall and won my age group but will not know for sure until the official results are posted in the next few days on their site. I am so sore and exhausted even after a little nap today. The weather was hot, low to mid 80's and no shade until late in the afternoon, like after 7 pm it was tough but the humidity was not bad. I came in at the 50 mile half way point in just over 8 hours and 30 minutes but obviously my pace was to fast for the conditions as because it took it's toll after 62.5 miles. I completed that in 11 hours and 32 minutes but had to spend extra time in the aide stations after that. I ended up spending almost two hours in the aide station and porta johns but managed to persevere. It was so nice having a pacer the last 25 miles, the first 12.5 were not very great but I started motoring again the last 12.5 as you will be able to see my miles splits from the Garmin link I post. It has been an incredible journey to get here and I feel very humble in this accomplishment. I learned a lot about 100 mile ultras and the first thing is I REALLY have no desire to do another even though some of the veterans that raced said I should because I did so well in my first but they can have then. It just takes too much of a commitment to training to do well in this distance and I do not think I want to do it again. We'll se in a few days when I am feeling a little better. Did I mention how bad I feel, I chafed in places I never chafed before and place that a man should not and I'll leave it at that. Surprisingly I only have one blister and it is not in a bad place, the inside of my big toe, I attribute that to the Injini toe socks that I wear. Also my streak may be in jeopardy tomorrow because I feel so bad and am having trouble just walking right now but I made peace with the fact that that could happen when I signed up for this race. I will do everything in my power to run at least a mile tomorrow though I have until about 11:30 at night to get out and get it done. One last thing, if I never have to eat another shot block or gel again in my life it will be to soon. I did eat some good food in the aide stations though, pb&j's, grilled cheese sandwiches, and I also had one slice of pizza along with the normal oranges, watermelon, bananas, and such. Thank you all for sharing this journey with me and your support leading up to it. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/361051767
A few things: First, I knew you would get it done. Congrats on that. Second, you are crazy but awesome. Third, "We'll se in a few days when I am feeling a little better," means that when your brain forgets how much pain your body is in right now, you will be itching to do another, and deep down inside you know there are too many great races out there to stop. Fourth, you are crazy but awesome. Fifth, you have accomplished something I dream of doing one day, and are an inspiration. Take some time to bask in your amazing accomplishment.

ImSore, totally nailed it! ^^^^All of this!!!!!^^^^

Ron, I love your recap.  The whole thing sounds insurmountable to me, yet you were able to methodically approach it and get it DONE!  So freakin cool, and knowing how long (short!) you've been running makes it that much more of an incredible accomplishment.  If you need to restart your streak, that is understandable.  I am always amazed at people who run the day after a marathon!  That you're even contemplating it is incredible. 

If you decide that you really don't want to do another one, I certainly can understand that.  I started this whole tri process thinking I'd like to tick an IM of the bucket list, and now, after training for a HIM, I just can't imagine the time involved in training to race an IM.  One of the things we can do with our ego is to learn that just because we can do something , doesn't always mean we should;)

Cheers to you!  To your life outlook, your wonderful accomplishment, and, most importantly, to the man that you are.  Kudos and hugs.

2013-08-18 8:54 PM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

Ron, I am in serious awe of this accomplishment. You are simply amazing. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Best of luck keeping the streak alive tomorrow. Some days I have a hard time keeping it going after a 5K, let alone 100 miles.
2013-08-19 8:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Originally posted by MSU_Brad

---#5, 20.0

Great job!
2013-08-19 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI

Wow! Great job! Fantastic time!

With all the training that goes into a 50 miles, just can't imagin doing 100. Great job!
2013-08-19 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Wausau WI
Run #330.
Took it easy today after back-to-back 20 mile runs over the weekend.
2013-08-19 9:45 AM

User image

First off thank you all for the kind words and when I am done with a more detailed race report I am out the door for 2 miles instead of one, gotta keep setting the bar high. LOL So here it is.

10 am and we are off, there are about 150-200 runners doing either the 50 mile or 100 mile race. The runners soon spread out by the first aide station. I am running with a couple of guys who have there goals similar to mine but before we reach the turn around we lose one of them already. Into and out of the turn around with just filling up my water bottle, I skipped the middle aide station on the way out and my pace is good, doing 9:05 miles, a little faster than planned but not bad. I wanted to do the first 50 in a 9:20-9:30 pace. I am still with Andy as we stop at the middle aide station on the way back for a fill up and I grab a half a pb&j for the road. I get back to the start finish line in 3 hours and 50 minutes feeling great. My support crew and pacer for the last 25 miles takes care of me and I am out after some water melon and oranges. The temps are rising and the sun is starting to take it's toll on runners but I am still feeling good.

Second loop Andy catches back up to me, I was out before him and we run together for a while again. I make it to the middle aide station fill up the water bottle and more fruit but another quick in and out. I actually stay ahead of Andy now and am feeling real good still while pulling into the turn around, mile 37.5, and another quick stop. More fruit and fill the water bottle. Out I go and incredibly at this point I am in 3rd place but that will not last. On the trip back I start to feel the heat and sun, the sun is just relentless beating down on us, and it is starting to take it's toll on a lot of folks, me included. I get to the middle aide station and my first real porta potty stop, I have been hydrating great and peeing at every stop but this is different and you all know what I mean. It cost me a little time but not bad, the heat and sun are costing me even more now. My pace is falling off and I know I am not making the 50 mile mark in under 8 hours, one of goals. I come into the start/finish line and the 50 mile mark in 8 hour 39 minutes and I am feeling terrible now. Another bathroom stop here and my crew, thank god for him, talks me into eating some more solid food instead of just gels, shot blocks and fruit. I tell him to meet me at the turn around because I have my doubts about being able to finish the race. I spend about 10 minutes in the aide station too.

Out I go for my 3rd loop and I start cursing myself out loud for having these negative thoughts. After the first mile I start to feel better, thank you Eric my crew and pacer for making me eat real food. I am able to run some much quicker mile but the sun oh the sun is still beating me down. It is starting to go down though and this is such a great relief. I come into the middle aide station, more water and food along with fruit. I have learned my lesson and am now eating a little real food at each stop, thanks again Eric. Out I go and the sun is going down and it will soon be dark, thank god. I come into the turn around aide station in 11 hours 32 minutes at mile 62.5 but I am feeling very fatigued now. I sit down for the first time all day and take about 15 minute here before heading back out. I start out feeling good but that will not last long. I am slowing down and finally doing some walking along with running. I make in into he middle aide station feeling terrible, another porta john break and about 20 minute here while the staff takes care of feeding me and keeping my spirits up. My spirits were really not that bad as I have been singing out loud most of the race when I was not running ands chatting with someone and I can not sing but it keeps me motivated and all the other runners I am passing or that are passing me either going my way or the other seem to enjoy it and get a kick out of it. I have heard many positive comments about it and that is the first time anyone has ever praised my singing but back to the race. I finally head back out and this 7 miles is tough back to the start finish line. I probably walk as much as I run and it seems to take me forever to get there but I get there.

Eric is waiting and ready to keep me going for the last 25 miles. I take about 20 minutes here again eating a bit more and just resting, I also change my shoes before heading out for the last 25. I am not sure what time it is when we head out but I am know I could walk the last 25 miles and still make the 30 hour time limit but I also know that under 20 is not happening, also I am no longer in3rd place but I was not in this to win it, I just thought it was pretty cool that at that point of the race I was in 3rd is all. We go out and I am not moving very fast but I am trying. Eric has been chomping at the bit all day and into the night to run with me and I really want him to get a decent workout but I am not doing a very good job. We get to the middle aide station in and I take another 15 minute blow here before heading out again. The next few miles are little better and we make it to the turn around aide station for the last time for me but I am still feeling bad. I tell Eric not to let me stay more than 10 minute as I want to go and just get done. I grab a fresh grilled cheese sandwich to go and out we go for the last 12.5 miles. At this point I am thinking that I may be able to finish in under 22 hours if I just suck it up. I have trained hard for this race and it is time to man up. It hurts to walk almost as much as it does to run so I tell myself I will not walk more than 2 minutes at any one time on this last 12.5 miles. I finish the sandwich as we walk and off we go. Something happens and I am not sure what, maybe it is the prospect of finishing soon and knowing that barring any freak injury that it'll soon be over, with the word soon being relative to how long I have been at it already. But the mile start clicking off, I am able to run 2-3 miles at a pop without have to take a walking break and when I do walk I am only going for 2 minute or less. We get into the middle aide station for the last time and this is a quick stop. Just some fruit and pb&j to go, we walk long enough for my to eat the sandwich and are running again. By some miracle I am able to start clicking of some 11 minute miles and we actually catch and pass some 100 milers finishing their last loop as well. I do not know where this energy came from but I am very thankful. I am now into the park and have less than a mile to go and have never felt so bad and so good at the same time. We come out of the tree in the park and there is the finish line. I manage to cross the finish line in 21 hour 32 minutes and 12 seconds and one of the lady's who is a volunteer promised me a quick dance when I finished and appropriately the Stones song Beast of Burden is playing so we dance.

If anyone is looking for a very runner friendly course and you made it this far I highly recommend this race. I did the 50 miler there this winter, yes winter, it was 21 degree for a high that day and there was about 4-8 inches of snow on the ground so you can do it in the winter there as well. I am not sure where my overall finish was, the official results are not posted yet but someone said I was 10th and that I won my age group which is just a bonus if that is the case. I think I will go now a sing and dance some more, so happy to have finished my first 100 miler.

2013-08-19 11:09 AM

User image

Regular
Jenison, MI

First off thank you all for the kind words and when I am done with a more detailed race report I am out the door for 2 miles instead of one, gotta keep setting the bar high. LOL So here it is.

10 am and we are off, there are about 150-200 runners doing either the 50 mile or 100 mile race. The runners soon spread out by the first aide station. I am running with a couple of guys who have there goals similar to mine but before we reach the turn around we lose one of them already. Into and out of the turn around with just filling up my water bottle, I skipped the middle aide station on the way out and my pace is good, doing 9:05 miles, a little faster than planned but not bad. I wanted to do the first 50 in a 9:20-9:30 pace. I am still with Andy as we stop at the middle aide station on the way back for a fill up and I grab a half a pb&j for the road. I get back to the start finish line in 3 hours and 50 minutes feeling great. My support crew and pacer for the last 25 miles takes care of me and I am out after some water melon and oranges. The temps are rising and the sun is starting to take it's toll on runners but I am still feeling good.

Second loop Andy catches back up to me, I was out before him and we run together for a while again. I make it to the middle aide station fill up the water bottle and more fruit but another quick in and out. I actually stay ahead of Andy now and am feeling real good still while pulling into the turn around, mile 37.5, and another quick stop. More fruit and fill the water bottle. Out I go and incredibly at this point I am in 3rd place but that will not last. On the trip back I start to feel the heat and sun, the sun is just relentless beating down on us, and it is starting to take it's toll on a lot of folks, me included. I get to the middle aide station and my first real porta potty stop, I have been hydrating great and peeing at every stop but this is different and you all know what I mean. It cost me a little time but not bad, the heat and sun are costing me even more now. My pace is falling off and I know I am not making the 50 mile mark in under 8 hours, one of goals. I come into the start/finish line and the 50 mile mark in 8 hour 39 minutes and I am feeling terrible now. Another bathroom stop here and my crew, thank god for him, talks me into eating some more solid food instead of just gels, shot blocks and fruit. I tell him to meet me at the turn around because I have my doubts about being able to finish the race. I spend about 10 minutes in the aide station too.

Out I go for my 3rd loop and I start cursing myself out loud for having these negative thoughts. After the first mile I start to feel better, thank you Eric my crew and pacer for making me eat real food. I am able to run some much quicker mile but the sun oh the sun is still beating me down. It is starting to go down though and this is such a great relief. I come into the middle aide station, more water and food along with fruit. I have learned my lesson and am now eating a little real food at each stop, thanks again Eric. Out I go and the sun is going down and it will soon be dark, thank god. I come into the turn around aide station in 11 hours 32 minutes at mile 62.5 but I am feeling very fatigued now. I sit down for the first time all day and take about 15 minute here before heading back out. I start out feeling good but that will not last long. I am slowing down and finally doing some walking along with running. I make in into he middle aide station feeling terrible, another porta john break and about 20 minute here while the staff takes care of feeding me and keeping my spirits up. My spirits were really not that bad as I have been singing out loud most of the race when I was not running ands chatting with someone and I can not sing but it keeps me motivated and all the other runners I am passing or that are passing me either going my way or the other seem to enjoy it and get a kick out of it. I have heard many positive comments about it and that is the first time anyone has ever praised my singing but back to the race. I finally head back out and this 7 miles is tough back to the start finish line. I probably walk as much as I run and it seems to take me forever to get there but I get there.

Eric is waiting and ready to keep me going for the last 25 miles. I take about 20 minutes here again eating a bit more and just resting, I also change my shoes before heading out for the last 25. I am not sure what time it is when we head out but I am know I could walk the last 25 miles and still make the 30 hour time limit but I also know that under 20 is not happening, also I am no longer in3rd place but I was not in this to win it, I just thought it was pretty cool that at that point of the race I was in 3rd is all. We go out and I am not moving very fast but I am trying. Eric has been chomping at the bit all day and into the night to run with me and I really want him to get a decent workout but I am not doing a very good job. We get to the middle aide station in and I take another 15 minute blow here before heading out again. The next few miles are little better and we make it to the turn around aide station for the last time for me but I am still feeling bad. I tell Eric not to let me stay more than 10 minute as I want to go and just get done. I grab a fresh grilled cheese sandwich to go and out we go for the last 12.5 miles. At this point I am thinking that I may be able to finish in under 22 hours if I just suck it up. I have trained hard for this race and it is time to man up. It hurts to walk almost as much as it does to run so I tell myself I will not walk more than 2 minutes at any one time on this last 12.5 miles. I finish the sandwich as we walk and off we go. Something happens and I am not sure what, maybe it is the prospect of finishing soon and knowing that barring any freak injury that it'll soon be over, with the word soon being relative to how long I have been at it already. But the mile start clicking off, I am able to run 2-3 miles at a pop without have to take a walking break and when I do walk I am only going for 2 minute or less. We get into the middle aide station for the last time and this is a quick stop. Just some fruit and pb&j to go, we walk long enough for my to eat the sandwich and are running again. By some miracle I am able to start clicking of some 11 minute miles and we actually catch and pass some 100 milers finishing their last loop as well. I do not know where this energy came from but I am very thankful. I am now into the park and have less than a mile to go and have never felt so bad and so good at the same time. We come out of the tree in the park and there is the finish line. I manage to cross the finish line in 21 hour 32 minutes and 12 seconds and one of the lady's who is a volunteer promised me a quick dance when I finished and appropriately the Stones song Beast of Burden is playing so we dance.

If anyone is looking for a very runner friendly course and you made it this far I highly recommend this race. I did the 50 miler there this winter, yes winter, it was 21 degree for a high that day and there was about 4-8 inches of snow on the ground so you can do it in the winter there as well. I am not sure where my overall finish was, the official results are not posted yet but someone said I was 10th and that I won my age group which is just a bonus if that is the case. I think I will go now a sing and dance some more, so happy to have finished my first 100 miler.

Simply awesome. I've never even biked a century, let alone run one. I just cantu wrap my mind around this no matter what I do.

Enjoy today's streak continuation! It'll be so quick you won't even realize you're doing it!!!
2013-08-19 11:10 AM

User image

Day 635, 2 miles. The first one was over a 13 minute pace and did not feel like running so I ran a second mile at a blazing 11:34 but at least it felt like running.

Switch running a 100 mile ultra was never a bucket list item for me. I did not even know thing like this existed until after I ran my second marathon and thought there is not way I could ever do that or would ever want to for that matter. My how some thing in our life change and thank god for me in a good way for a change.
2013-08-19 11:15 AM

Day 635, 2 miles. The first one was over a 13 minute pace and did not feel like running so I ran a second mile at a blazing 11:34 but at least it felt like running.

Switch running a 100 mile ultra was never a bucket list item for me. I did not even know thing like this existed until after I ran my second marathon and thought there is not way I could ever do that or would ever want to for that matter. My how some thing in our life change and thank god for me in a good way for a change.

I have concluded that you a machine, a robot of some sort, perhaps a cyborg, but not human.

Congrats on keeping up the streak.
2013-08-19 11:16 AM

#292- 6 mi.

Also signed up for IMMT on Aug 17 2014. Should I be this excited yet?
New Thread
Other Resources Challenge Me! » 30 runs in 30 days - who's with us? Rss Feed  

of 182