BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-11 3:57 PM
in reply to: #2718652

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

TRACEY -

Very glad that the DVRT (Desperately Vigorous Rubbing Technique) worked! Now, you can experiment with faster alternatives. There's no guarantee on these, all of which involve finding a hard object of which you can grate your foot with the show still on. What do I have in mind here? Maybe a curb, or a park bench, or a largish rock? This is just a random idea, as I have never tried this myself. It's likely that it won't penetrate enough through the bottom of your running shoe, but worth a wild try, anyhow.

Do you use speed laces? This will help diminish the loss of time in a race just by way of not requiring you to untie and tie your shoe. If you don't have speed laces yet, just wait until the expo at Multisport World in what -- 9 days? Many of the vendors will carry them, and there are several different companies. My preference is for EZ Laces (I'll check that name; as it is I just know the packaging!)

The two greatest inventions since sliced bread are BodyGlide and speed laces. Honest!

2010-03-11 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2720750

User image

Champion

STEVE -

How is the toe??? I wanted to respond to your post from yesterday......but I'm still confused as to what the problem might be. I'll be very intersted to know what the doc's diagnosis is! But form how you describe it, a bunion of any sort is probably unlikely. But as to an alternative idea......?

LET ME KNOW, PRETTY-PLEASE!!!

As for time goals for Showdown:

You ought to be able to keep both transitions under 5 minutes. Do you know how many people will be racing? I've done a couple of very large HIM, such as Eagleman and Timberman, and the transition areas weren't inordinately large. Of course, things change when there are long run-ups from the water, and I'll go to the race's website in a while and try to get an idea of how it all looks.

On second thought, they might be around 5-6 minutes just because this is your first HIM and because you will be using it for SG prep. That means that you'll want to be 127% certain you have everything you need, so there is no point in rushing things too much.

Your swim times are close to mine, but slightly better, I think, so 40 minutes is a good target for a first-time HIM. In my world I hope for 38', but out of about 15 HIM that has happened once (maybe twice.... when my fantasy life gets active). I'm okay with 40-42, and when I'm at 45' I think I've done not so well.

The range of times for the bike is good, for all the reasons you cite. I will also look at the bike profile when I hit the website.

And same for the run thoughts -- good rationale to support looking at 2:00-2:10.

Just between you and me and the bike racks, I think you'll come in a fair ways under 6:25. In fact, I'm going to seal my guesstimate in a jar and open it after the race!

May the doc have postive thoughts about your knees and toe!!

2010-03-11 4:19 PM
in reply to: #2719909

User image

Champion

DIANE -

Yay! Yippee! Woo-hoo! Hallelujah!

2010-03-11 4:31 PM
in reply to: #2719605

User image

Champion

KASIA -

I have to admit that in my years of being coached, I was very religious in following Erik's plans. So, I guess there is a part of me that is capable of staying within the lines, although my work career has been liberally sprinkled with episodes of not following rules and procedures and protocol. I have never handled authority very well, or maybe only when it is authority I have clearly accepeted, or even solicited (such as finding a coach).

Maybe the reason I don't follow any established plan now is because I am just too independent, although a large part of it is just feeling I know my body and my training needs and responses well enough so I can do an okay job of "winging it". That said, I have the utmost respect for official coaches and anyone who can create viable and successful plans, so my advice would be to try to follow a plan if at all possible.

HOWEVER, the best-laid plans won't work if they can't work, and it's in that spirit that I cite the idea of "art rather than science", and give my papal blessing on coloring outside the lines when necessary. The other ay to think about all of this when it is bothering you that you're diverging from the plan, is to imagine what Fitz' response would be if he were your actual coach and you were telling him how and why the plan wasn't working -- as planned. He would listen carefully to you and alter it accordingly, plain and simple; you'd see the changes reflected in the next block of plans he set for you!

So, do what works for you!!

2010-03-11 4:44 PM
in reply to: #2719608

User image

Veteran
, Louisiana
Awesome ride in the weather yesterday! And no sarcasm intended. I came home with a nice brown streak all the way from my helmet to my ankles from this HUGE puddle I went through, but it was well worth it. Large flakes falling over grassy farmland. Absolute beauty.

As much as I like going down hills fast, I was more appreciative going UP them for once since it didn't hurt my face as much. I really could've used my snowboarding goggles and face mask for some of those ones

Other than that, I had layered very well above the waist, and somewhat well below, except for my feet which was a complete failure in weather-proofing. Good learning experience, though.

We stayed out about an hour and did a route that the women's cycle club I recently joined will be doing on Sunday. So I'm confident that I'll be ok for this upcoming ride and will now just have to focus on learning how to ride in a group.

Hope everyone's training and/or healing is going well!
2010-03-11 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2720146

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

REALLY well done on the run -- great adjustments all around! More seasoned treadmillers than I might have something different to say about this, but I think you did the right thing in keeping the incline the same while upping your pace. I'm not sure it's the best idea to increase pace AND gradient, especially for the first time. Is it in your plans to try 6.5mph at 1.0 incline at some point, or will you continue to stay at 0.5 while periodically increasing the pace? Just curious!

If you need a humble place to stay in thr Ottawa area, you can certainly stay with us. We will likely be around both of those weekends, so keep that in mind. And if I decide to go with thr Somersault series this coming season, i will likely be doing both National Capital and The Canadian. I guess I have done N.C. oly once, but The Canadian and I are old friends -- HIM in '01, '02, and '07, and the full iron in the first year they offered it, '05. (And in '06, when I had my torn mensicus, I did both N.C. and The Canadian half iron "unofficially", meaning I swam and biked.....and then stopped. )

Who is your old schollmate who will be memorialized, may I ask? The most recent Somersault newsletter mentions many of the fine details about their various races, including charities and sponsors, but skimming it I don't see any mention of a memorial event. But as you say, it is likely still in the works. The McKintys are terrific people, so if they have said they will do it, it will happen.

2010-03-11 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2719566

User image

Champion

ANNE -

I will check out those sweet facets of your proposed wheels later. But it sounds great! mavic have a great rep, and I see yet another vote for ultegra providing better value for the money than dura-ace.

As for DT Revolution ---- that's out of my league (but I'm gonna try to learn!) How MANY spokes, however? (I can relate to spoke-count!)

2010-03-11 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2721641

User image

Expert
Caratunk, Maine
Steve A - I hope you get some good news on that toe!  AND wow, the countdown is on for HIM!  Good luck with taper madness!

GrooveTimers - This weekend I am off for my last (this winter) Baxter Park trip - so that is why you won't be hearing from me...until Sun or Mon.

Today I ran 14 miles (trying to get my long run in before the trip) - saw 4 deer early morning!  Pretty cool.  One just watched me for a while until I was about 50 feet away.  I was disappointed with my pace, but happy with how I felt during and after the run.  Little calf pain, (yeah! I love PT), felt strong throughout the run.  This was pretty close for two long runs, for me at least, but I also didn't want to miss another long one before the marathon (8.5 weeks away? REALLY? AHH Surprised

I am thinking my slower pace is due to the two runs together maybe.  Or maybe I am just slower than I was pre-calf injury Embarassed.   I am not doing intervals anymore, but plan an 8ish tempo run next week (make sense, Steve B?) I want to run the marathon @9-9:15 min mile pace so I can PR (4:18 is my current marathon PR), this run was 10:50 so...I am not sure what that means if anything and can't remember what I ran before.  Next week long run is down to 12, should be good.

I want to have all kinds of catching up to do with y'all when I return!

Cheers

Mandy
2010-03-11 7:11 PM
in reply to: #2559115

Master
Kitchener
Had my first outdoor ride of the year today.   YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Sunny and 13*.   I thought maybe the wind (20km/hr) would feel coolish but it was actually warm.    At times I was going 37 km/hr and I thought for sure there must be something wrong with the computer.       Outdoor riding is SO much easier than the trainer.  

Getting rain for the next few days and then the temp drops back down to normal for this time of year.     

I actually saw an older man running with NO shirt on and in BARE feet.   Weird.  

2010-03-11 8:27 PM
in reply to: #2721856

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
latestarter - 2010-03-11 7:11 PM Had my first outdoor ride of the year today.   YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Sunny and 13*.   I thought maybe the wind (20km/hr) would feel coolish but it was actually warm.    At times I was going 37 km/hr and I thought for sure there must be something wrong with the computer.       Outdoor riding is SO much easier than the trainer.  

Getting rain for the next few days and then the temp drops back down to normal for this time of year.     

I'm envious of your outdoor ride but I think I'll be able to get out next week.  High temps and rain are melting our snow/ice like crazy.  And it's supposed to be even warmer next week.  I can't wait.
2010-03-11 8:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Minnesota
Hi,

SteveA - I'm really excited about your race.  I checked the website.  Those prices seem really high - or maybe our's are really cheap cuz we're Midwest.  Anyway - didn't realize it was just 2 weeks away.  Can't wait to hear all about it.

SteveB - You mentioned speed laces to Tracey.  Are those the same as bungie laces?  I'd never seen them before but my LBS guy showed them to me today and I bought a pair cus they looked like they'd work great.

Denise

2010-03-11 10:52 PM

User image

Regular
Fort Worth, Texas
SteveA, glad your toe feels better!   The absence of pain is such a relief, isn't it?

Anne, glad you got outdoors for a ride.  I agree, it is soo much better than indoors!

I am beginning to believe that this 5K race for next weekend is simply doomed.  While my back is now better my training partner, and the woman who only entered so I would not have to do my first race alone, fell and injured her knee.  Her doctor said she can walk the race with a brace but no running.  She is planning on walking so guess I will do a slow jog to her walk and not worry about time at all.

But I made some real progress on the swim today.  Did a couple of laps at the end with continuous stroking and kept my form including legs and hips up.  It was very weird, got really spoiled with the slow strokes and long breaths.  Found myself gasping for air when I first tried it but the breathing came back eventually.  I figure I need another day or two of practice to make sure it is there, and without as much thought, and then can work on endurance and timing again.  I am backstroking for my warm up and cool down, so if I need to resort to that for the tri in May hopefully I can keep my speed up.  I know I am very slow at this, but figure it is better to get my form correct now so hopefully it will serve me well down the road.
2010-03-12 5:29 AM
in reply to: #2721958

Master
Kitchener
LadyNorth - 2010-03-11 9:27 PM
latestarter - 2010-03-11 7:11 PM Had my first outdoor ride of the year today.   YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!   Sunny and 13*.   I thought maybe the wind (20km/hr) would feel coolish but it was actually warm.    At times I was going 37 km/hr and I thought for sure there must be something wrong with the computer.       Outdoor riding is SO much easier than the trainer.  

I'm envious of your outdoor ride but I think I'll be able to get out next week.  High temps and rain are melting our snow/ice like crazy.  And it's supposed to be even warmer next week.  I can't wait.

Hope you are able to get outside next week!    We might be able to sneak in a couple more outdoor rides.   Mid week temps are supposed to be 13* again and sunny, but I have a feeling March is going to be leaving like a LION!  

2010-03-12 5:35 AM
in reply to: #2722117

Master
Kitchener
FoxfireTX - 2010-03-11 11:52 PM SteveA, glad your toe feels better!   The absence of pain is such a relief, isn't it?

Anne, glad you got outdoors for a ride.  I agree, it is soo much better than indoors!

I am beginning to believe that this 5K race for next weekend is simply doomed.  While my back is now better my training partner, and the woman who only entered so I would not have to do my first race alone, fell and injured her knee.  Her doctor said she can walk the race with a brace but no running.  She is planning on walking so guess I will do a slow jog to her walk and not worry about time at all.

But I made some real progress on the swim today.  Did a couple of laps at the end with continuous stroking and kept my form including legs and hips up.  It was very weird, got really spoiled with the slow strokes and long breaths.  Found myself gasping for air when I first tried it but the breathing came back eventually.  I figure I need another day or two of practice to make sure it is there, and without as much thought, and then can work on endurance and timing again.  I am backstroking for my warm up and cool down, so if I need to resort to that for the tri in May hopefully I can keep my speed up.  I know I am very slow at this, but figure it is better to get my form correct now so hopefully it will serve me well down the road.

Nice going on your swimming!  

Hope you still do the 5K next weekend even if your friend can't make it.     Even though you may not have a friend there, you will not be alone.    I have found that other racers are really supportive, and I often end up running with another person or even a group.  It has helped me pick up the pace and finish the race strong, so now when I see someone struggling I will run with them for awhile till they get back in the groove.

Look forward to hearing all about it.  
2010-03-12 5:36 AM
in reply to: #2721745

Master
Kitchener
manfarr1974 - 2010-03-11 6:44 PM Steve A - I hope you get some good news on that toe!  AND wow, the countdown is on for HIM!  Good luck with taper madness!

GrooveTimers - This weekend I am off for my last (this winter) Baxter Park trip - so that is why you won't be hearing from me...until Sun or Mon.

Today I ran 14 miles (trying to get my long run in before the trip) - saw 4 deer early morning!  Pretty cool.  One just watched me for a while until I was about 50 feet away.  I was disappointed with my pace, but happy with how I felt during and after the run.  Little calf pain, (yeah! I love PT), felt strong throughout the run.  This was pretty close for two long runs, for me at least, but I also didn't want to miss another long one before the marathon (8.5 weeks away? REALLY? AHH Surprised

I am thinking my slower pace is due to the two runs together maybe.  Or maybe I am just slower than I was pre-calf injury Embarassed.   I am not doing intervals anymore, but plan an 8ish tempo run next week (make sense, Steve B?) I want to run the marathon @9-9:15 min mile pace so I can PR (4:18 is my current marathon PR), this run was 10:50 so...I am not sure what that means if anything and can't remember what I ran before.  Next week long run is down to 12, should be good.

I want to have all kinds of catching up to do with y'all when I return!

Cheers

Mandy

Have a great time Mandy!
2010-03-12 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2721578

User image

stevebradley - 2010-03-11 2:17 PM STEVE - How is the toe??? I wanted to respond to your post from yesterday......but I'm still confused as to what the problem might be. I'll be very intersted to know what the doc's diagnosis is! But form how you describe it, a bunion of any sort is probably unlikely. But as to an alternative idea......? LET ME KNOW, PRETTY-PLEASE!!! As for time goals for Showdown: You ought to be able to keep both transitions under 5 minutes. Do you know how many people will be racing? I've done a couple of very large HIM, such as Eagleman and Timberman, and the transition areas weren't inordinately large. Of course, things change when there are long run-ups from the water, and I'll go to the race's website in a while and try to get an idea of how it all looks. On second thought, they might be around 5-6 minutes just because this is your first HIM and because you will be using it for SG prep. That means that you'll want to be 127% certain you have everything you need, so there is no point in rushing things too much. Your swim times are close to mine, but slightly better, I think, so 40 minutes is a good target for a first-time HIM. In my world I hope for 38', but out of about 15 HIM that has happened once (maybe twice.... when my fantasy life gets active). I'm okay with 40-42, and when I'm at 45' I think I've done not so well. The range of times for the bike is good, for all the reasons you cite. I will also look at the bike profile when I hit the website. And same for the run thoughts -- good rationale to support looking at 2:00-2:10. Just between you and me and the bike racks, I think you'll come in a fair ways under 6:25. In fact, I'm going to seal my guesstimate in a jar and open it after the race! May the doc have postive thoughts about your knees and toe!!

Well, had a pretty good doc session yesterday.  He said the foot is nothing to worry about - just a strain/bruise, and it should improve (which it already has). I did a short 35 minute treadmill run yesterday, but had to stop at that point.  I was finding that my stride was all off-kilter.  I think it was simply from favoring the foot so much the last few days - it affected my stride and in turn, my feet were hitting awkwardly and causing some discomfort on the outside of my feet.  Rather than push through it, I figured I'd back off and get another day of walking normally and plan to hit the long run this weekend.

The knee, he said, is nothing to be overly concerned about.  No structural issues.  I supposedly have Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome, which I like to think of as "Steve, suck it up" syndrome.  Need to strengthen the quads, blah, blah, blah.  Need orthodics, blah, blah, blah.  I am actually considering some orthodics, but likely not until after IMSG.  Inside of 8 weeks now, I'm not inclined to introduce something new like that unless he said I had a structural issue that could give out.  So, it's ice, elevation, and Advil!  Woo-hoo!

Today's goal:  find a nice, looonnnngggg ride in San Diego this weekend.  Need to get some miles in.

2010-03-12 12:22 PM
in reply to: #2721641

New user
SteveB,

Thanks. From my very early science classes (and one horrible jaunt on the treadmill) I've learned to change just one thing at a time so you know if it is a good change or not. I have not considered increasing incline but was instead focusing on time and speed. However, that is a good point as where I intend on doing most of my running is most certainly not on flat land (although not that hilly either) so getting in some higher incline is probably a good idea. Not to mention the affect of wind.

Thanks a lot for that offer!! I have a few friends still living in Ottawa so I would probably try and stay in Ottawa to be closer and see them. I'll keep this as a backup plan.

My old schoolmate is Katie Hadley who you may have heard about in the news as she was 'the Ottawa engineer' (in the media) who passed away due to the earthquake in Haiti. This week is when there was going to be a meeing with the McKintys regarding this.

Currently enjoying the wonderful uncomfort of having decided to do a leg workout then spin class then 1000m swim last night...So pleasantly uncomfortable, but enjoyable!

Tracey,

It's amazing what being single can do for training!!

Hope everyone has a good weekend!!!

I'm going to be spending some time looking for a cheaper road bike...I've really been getting the itch to get one lately. Additionally, I'm planning a short run tonight, long swim tomorrow and a long run on Sunday.
2010-03-12 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2723141

User image

Champion

GANG!

I apologize for being so absent lately. Lynn is needing lots of phone and computer time to deal with parental affairs, so it's tough for me to get a post in edgewise. The dust should clear soon (not many business-related phone calls can be made on the weekend), and I will return to the fray ASAP!!!

2010-03-12 5:47 PM

Master
Kitchener
smarx - 2010-03-12 1:22 PM SteveB,

Currently enjoying the wonderful uncomfort of having decided to do a leg workout then spin class then 1000m swim last night...So pleasantly uncomfortable, but enjoyable!

I hear you!   Yesterday, I rode for an hour outside, first time this year, then headed right into a 90 minute Hot Bikram class at 4:00 and up before 6:00 for a 1400 meter swim this morning.    About 11:00 this morning, my legs were asking me what happened!  

2010-03-13 11:02 AM
in reply to: #2723750

Regular
Nebraska

Edited by midlifeinsanity 2010-05-24 9:45 PM
2010-03-13 1:26 PM
in reply to: #2724515

Master
Kitchener
midlifeinsanity - 2010-03-13 12:02 PM Happy weekend, everyone! Off to central Nebraska to see the sandhill crane migration with my daughter. Hope to get some walking in & some good pictures. Cool M

That sounds so cool!  Would love to see some pictures.   Hope you have a great time.  

2010-03-13 3:21 PM
in reply to: #2724648

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Going to your log continues to be a revelation! What did I learn today?

(1) I like the recommendation to shorten the rests so it is 10X50 on 1:05. I think you'll see improvements with that tactic!
(2) 6X 2 flights at the rec center. Good stuff!
(3) Great sequence on the 5X200, with each 200 being varied and valuable. How did the 15" R.I. feel to you?
(4) Strained MCL, maybe? Urp. Go easy on it, just in case!
(5) Can you exist happily on only 3 Bikrams a week?

2010-03-13 3:23 PM
in reply to: #2724515

User image

Champion

M -

Squawk at the sandhills for me, okay? Family lore has it that my great-great-great-great-great-grandmother on my father's sdie was a sandhill crane, so it's good to keep the connection alive.

Thanks!

2010-03-13 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2723093

User image

Champion

STEVE -

EXCELLENT news on the toe! Bruises are always good news, because once you get past the pain issues it is hard to do further damage to a bruise. All Power to the Bruises!

Also good is that there is nothing structurally amiss with the knee. WHEW! As for the idea of putting off orthotics until after SG -- DEFINITELY! Unless some wiser head says otherwise, I agree that you don't want to do something that radical so relatively close to SG. Plenty of time to play with that stuff after SG, eh?

As is said about NFLers and mixed martial arts fighters - that they rarely enter a competition 100% healthy - I think the same goes for ironpersons come race day. So, don't freak if something or other feels wonky just before SG, and maybe view what's happening now is a Preview of Coming Attractions! Of course, in your perfect world what you really want is for all the niggles andwonks to happen NOW, rather than on May 1!

Doin' the long ride today or tomorrow? And how many hours/miles? Have fun!

2010-03-13 3:37 PM

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Nice hat trick there -- legs, spin, swim! "Pleasantly uncomfortable, but enjoyable" sounds just about what you'd want for a desired effect. Ta-da!!

Did you get in the run last night and the long swim today.....and still on target for the long run tomorrow?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276