BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 108

2010-08-08 5:49 PM
in reply to: #3030365

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
Subject: RE: brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now!
Meulen - 2010-08-08 4:24 PM
croixfan - 2010-08-08 11:25 AM

WOO HOO!!!  Just home from the event and things went absolutely great!!!!!   Day started out really nice when Brian and his lovely bride stopped by in the transition area to say hello.  Could not hook up afterwards, but as he had family there probably better for him to spend time with them.  Conditions were perfect with overcast skies, hardly any wind, and 75 degree temps.

Highlights.  First, the swim course had about 50% of the course in water that was shallow / where you could walk.  I swam a bit of this, but walked the majority focusing on staying calm, cool and collected.  First stretch through the deep water went great.  First half of second went great.  At the turn, was a lot of contact and I got knocked around pretty good.  Flipped on my back and relaxed.  Finished no problem.  Not sure on actual time as I was about a minute late starting the watch, but clocked at 12 minutes.  Bike course was very easy and had only a couple of 100m stretches with hills.  For 22km showed 41:27.  Calcs our at 19.2 mph which is a PR by a ton.  Took the run "easy" / felt like I could go much faster but did not want to fry myself.  At the turn, started slowly building and finished at what had to be close to an 8:30 pace for last 1/2 mile.  Felt really good in that with 1/2 mile to go, picked up a guy that was walking and talked him through the finish.  Time clocked at 28:37 which would be about a 9:10 pace.  Transitions were a bit slow at 4 minutes and 3 minutes.  Time on watch showed 1:29:18 / guess is that the official time will be just over 1:30.  One other thing, I was in the last group of four to go in the water (do I really want to do this?).  That worked out awesome as I passed about 20 folks on the swim, probably 200-300 people on the bike, and about 50 on the run.  Didn't have anyone pass me on the bike and only about 4 on the run!!!!!!  Very motivational to keep reeling 'em in.

Thanks again for all of the support.  Was really spooked going in to this and the words of encouragement really helped!!!!

Race report now posted:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=221240&posts=1&start=1

That was a great race!! It was nice meeting you out there Curt. I was looking for you at the end and didn't see you. Today everything came together for me at once. I had an incredible race for me. Overall, I placed 62 out of 1593 finishers. I was 57 out of 889 men. I took 10th in my AG out 155!!!! The best part was the fact this race was so close my family got to see it. I beat all my personal goals. I even had a good(for me swim) I had an 8:55 for the 400m. My bike time was stellar too with an avg mph of 23.6, and time of 34:42. On the run I almost completed my goal of running a 20 handle 5k. I literally missed it by 10 seconds!!!!. I know I can run the 5k with a 20 handle for my goal, but I can't believe I almost did it in a tri! My transitions weren't great but not bad either. There was a REAL long run to an enormous transition area out of the water. I was way in the back end of it so T1 was 3:00 and I'm sure almost 2 minutes of it was running. T2 was good at 1:37 with 1/2 the run to the run out. Overall time was 1:09:22. I'm really stoked at my results! I can't believe I took a top 10 with 155 people in my AG! I'll wright a race report when I get a chance, but this is the jist of it.

Saw that you had a great result -- kind of ironic that you were sweating it after the rough week away from training.  Just don't think that the party life is what drove the result!!!!  More likely it's all of the hard work AND the fact that you took the right amount of time off to let your body recover.

Congrats on the great finish.

2010-08-08 8:22 PM
in reply to: #3030463

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
croixfan - 2010-08-08 5:49 PM

Meulen - 2010-08-08 4:24 PM
croixfan - 2010-08-08 11:25 AM

WOO HOO!!!  Just home from the event and things went absolutely great!!!!!   Day started out really nice when Brian and his lovely bride stopped by in the transition area to say hello.  Could not hook up afterwards, but as he had family there probably better for him to spend time with them.  Conditions were perfect with overcast skies, hardly any wind, and 75 degree temps.

Highlights.  First, the swim course had about 50% of the course in water that was shallow / where you could walk.  I swam a bit of this, but walked the majority focusing on staying calm, cool and collected.  First stretch through the deep water went great.  First half of second went great.  At the turn, was a lot of contact and I got knocked around pretty good.  Flipped on my back and relaxed.  Finished no problem.  Not sure on actual time as I was about a minute late starting the watch, but clocked at 12 minutes.  Bike course was very easy and had only a couple of 100m stretches with hills.  For 22km showed 41:27.  Calcs our at 19.2 mph which is a PR by a ton.  Took the run "easy" / felt like I could go much faster but did not want to fry myself.  At the turn, started slowly building and finished at what had to be close to an 8:30 pace for last 1/2 mile.  Felt really good in that with 1/2 mile to go, picked up a guy that was walking and talked him through the finish.  Time clocked at 28:37 which would be about a 9:10 pace.  Transitions were a bit slow at 4 minutes and 3 minutes.  Time on watch showed 1:29:18 / guess is that the official time will be just over 1:30.  One other thing, I was in the last group of four to go in the water (do I really want to do this?).  That worked out awesome as I passed about 20 folks on the swim, probably 200-300 people on the bike, and about 50 on the run.  Didn't have anyone pass me on the bike and only about 4 on the run!!!!!!  Very motivational to keep reeling 'em in.

Thanks again for all of the support.  Was really spooked going in to this and the words of encouragement really helped!!!!

Race report now posted:

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=221240&posts=1&start=1

That was a great race!! It was nice meeting you out there Curt. I was looking for you at the end and didn't see you. Today everything came together for me at once. I had an incredible race for me. Overall, I placed 62 out of 1593 finishers. I was 57 out of 889 men. I took 10th in my AG out 155!!!! The best part was the fact this race was so close my family got to see it. I beat all my personal goals. I even had a good(for me swim) I had an 8:55 for the 400m. My bike time was stellar too with an avg mph of 23.6, and time of 34:42. On the run I almost completed my goal of running a 20 handle 5k. I literally missed it by 10 seconds!!!!. I know I can run the 5k with a 20 handle for my goal, but I can't believe I almost did it in a tri! My transitions weren't great but not bad either. There was a REAL long run to an enormous transition area out of the water. I was way in the back end of it so T1 was 3:00 and I'm sure almost 2 minutes of it was running. T2 was good at 1:37 with 1/2 the run to the run out. Overall time was 1:09:22. I'm really stoked at my results! I can't believe I took a top 10 with 155 people in my AG! I'll wright a race report when I get a chance, but this is the jist of it.

Saw that you had a great result -- kind of ironic that you were sweating it after the rough week away from training.  Just don't think that the party life is what drove the result!!!!  More likely it's all of the hard work AND the fact that you took the right amount of time off to let your body recover.

Congrats on the great finish.

thanks, I went home and had a few beers. I would have liked to have found you to extend the invitation to join me. After thinking about it now, I should have called you. It completely slipped my mind that I had your number! LOL
2010-08-09 12:02 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
croixfan - 2010-08-08 11:25 AM WOO HOO!!!  Just home from the event and things went absolutely great!!!!!   Day started out really nice when Brian and his lovely bride stopped by in the transition area to say hello.  Could not hook up afterwards, but as he had family there probably better for him to spend time with them.  Conditions were perfect with overcast skies, hardly any wind, and 75 degree temps.

Meulen - 2010-08-08 2:24 PM That was a great race!! It was nice meeting you out there Curt. I was looking for you at the end and didn't see you. Today everything came together for me at once. I had an incredible race for me. Overall, I placed 62 out of 1593 finishers. I was 57 out of 889 men. I took 10th in my AG out 155!!!! The best part was the fact this race was so close my family got to see it. I beat all my personal goals. I even had a good(for me swim) I had an 8:55 for the 400m. My bike time was stellar too with an avg mph of 23.6, and time of 34:42. On the run I almost completed my goal of running a 20 handle 5k. I literally missed it by 10 seconds!!!!. I know I can run the 5k with a 20 handle for my goal, but I can't believe I almost did it in a tri! My transitions weren't great but not bad either. There was a REAL long run to an enormous transition area out of the water. I was way in the back end of it so T1 was 3:00 and I'm sure almost 2 minutes of it was running. T2 was good at 1:37 with 1/2 the run to the run out. Overall time was 1:09:22. I'm really stoked at my results! I can't believe I took a top 10 with 155 people in my AG! I'll wright a race report when I get a chance, but this is the jist of it.

Great racing guys.  Holy crap, Brian you killed it!  Sounds like an awesome race for both of you!

Edited by shmeeg 2010-08-09 12:03 AM
2010-08-09 9:03 AM
in reply to: #3030042

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

Nice....  I was thinking about you guys the other day at work.  Fingers were crossed!

I'm so glad you had a good race.  Now you can get that previous race out of your head.
2010-08-09 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2770949

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
2010-08-09 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-08-08 2:24 PM

I'm really stoked at my results! I can't believe I took a top 10 with 155 people in my AG!

Solid race Brian!  Great times on the bike and run.

2010-08-09 9:42 AM
in reply to: #3031485

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-08-09 9:18 AM

Meulen - 2010-08-08 2:24 PM

I'm really stoked at my results! I can't believe I took a top 10 with 155 people in my AG!

Solid race Brian!  Great times on the bike and run.

thanks guys!! I feel REALLY good about it. Thanks Tim for the advice on pre race nutrition. I went a little longer than I'd like to without eating anything but it seemed to work for me.
2010-08-09 9:49 AM
in reply to: #3031585

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-08-09 7:42 AM

Thanks Tim for the advice on pre race nutrition. I went a little longer than I'd like to without eating anything but it seemed to work for me.

No problem!  I was happy to see you had good results with the pre-race fueling.  Five hours is pushing the window a little though.  If possible, try to time that meal a little closer to the three more mark next time for comparison.

Its amazing though how brain is telling you to eat, but when the race begins, your body is actually ready to go. I assume you felt good with an empty stomach?  No cramping?
2010-08-09 9:58 AM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Well it looks like I won't be going to Portland this weekend.  I've been pretty beat up since my race last weekend.   Actually, it looks like I'll be going to the doctor this week.  It appears I might have a stress fracture in my left tibia.  Its painful with walking and just aches when seated.  I can't even imagine trying to run right now.

So, for now, no running for me.  I'm going to ride the bike today after three days of rest.  Plan on sticking to the pool for most of my workouts.

Looks like my season might come down to one race now.  First, hopefully I'll be ready for the race at the end of the month.  Second, I'll have to place well enough to seal the deal for Nationals.  I would be able to drop a race now.  Oh well, its out of my hands at this point.
2010-08-09 10:01 AM
in reply to: #3031619

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-08-09 9:49 AM

Meulen - 2010-08-09 7:42 AM

Thanks Tim for the advice on pre race nutrition. I went a little longer than I'd like to without eating anything but it seemed to work for me.

No problem!  I was happy to see you had good results with the pre-race fueling.  Five hours is pushing the window a little though.  If possible, try to time that meal a little closer to the three more mark next time for comparison.

Its amazing though how brain is telling you to eat, but when the race begins, your body is actually ready to go. I assume you felt good with an empty stomach?  No cramping?

No cramping at all. 5 hours wasn't really by choice. We waited almost hour to go off. I had planned a 7am start time. I brought an extra powerbar in the car in case things got a little long. I forgot it in the car. I could have went back to get it, but was more worried making sure my wife was set up. She didn't want to lose me in the crowd so I didn't want to go to the car without her. If I knew we were going to have to wait an hour to go off I would have made more of an effort to go back. Either way, no issues at all. Once the race started I forgot all about eating. My stomach was pretty upset post race though. I'm not sure what's going on there. Maybe the gatorade, or possibly just racing on empty stomach, or possibly the gel or gatorade on an empty stomach? But it was upset the rest of the night.

Edited by Meulen 2010-08-09 10:03 AM
2010-08-09 10:05 AM
in reply to: #3031664

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-08-09 9:58 AM

Well it looks like I won't be going to Portland this weekend.  I've been pretty beat up since my race last weekend.   Actually, it looks like I'll be going to the doctor this week.  It appears I might have a stress fracture in my left tibia.  Its painful with walking and just aches when seated.  I can't even imagine trying to run right now.

So, for now, no running for me.  I'm going to ride the bike today after three days of rest.  Plan on sticking to the pool for most of my workouts.

Looks like my season might come down to one race now.  First, hopefully I'll be ready for the race at the end of the month.  Second, I'll have to place well enough to seal the deal for Nationals.  I would be able to drop a race now.  Oh well, its out of my hands at this point.

sheesh, you've had some pretty rotten luch latley. Hopefully, this won't affect nationals for you. Good luck Tim!

2010-08-09 11:08 AM
in reply to: #3031681

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Meulen - 2010-08-09 8:01 AM

My stomach was pretty upset post race though. I'm not sure what's going on there. Maybe the gatorade, or possibly just racing on empty stomach, or possibly the gel or gatorade on an empty stomach? But it was upset the rest of the night.

Brian, I'm not really familar with the ingredients of Gatorade, but this could result from combining simple and complex sugars.  If you have a chance, check the ingredients in Gatorade.  If it contains any sugars such as dextrose, sucrose, fructose, any of the "oses," then this might be your culprit.

In simplest terms, this becomes an issue with osmolarity and gastric absorption:

The same problem occurs when an athlete combines a simple sugar fuel with a complex carbohydrate fuel. The beauty of complex carbs is that they will match body fluid osmolality, not at a 6-8% solution, but a more concentrated 15-18% solution. Even at this seemingly too-high concentration complex carbohydrates (such as maltodextrins/glucose polymers) will empty the stomach at the same efficient rate as normal body fluids and provide substantially more calories (up to three times more) than simple sugar mixtures will. However, when simple sugars and complex carbs are consumed together or near each other, it increases the solution concentration beyond what either source can be efficiently digested at. In other words, when you consume simple sugars and complex carbohydrates together or within close proximity of each other you negate the efficient digestibility of either source. Once again, energy production will be compromised and a variety of stomach issues are likely to occur.
2010-08-09 11:20 AM
in reply to: #3031994

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-08-09 11:08 AM

Meulen - 2010-08-09 8:01 AM

My stomach was pretty upset post race though. I'm not sure what's going on there. Maybe the gatorade, or possibly just racing on empty stomach, or possibly the gel or gatorade on an empty stomach? But it was upset the rest of the night.

Brian, I'm not really familar with the ingredients of Gatorade, but this could result from combining simple and complex sugars.  If you have a chance, check the ingredients in Gatorade.  If it contains any sugars such as dextrose, sucrose, fructose, any of the "oses," then this might be your culprit.

In simplest terms, this becomes an issue with osmolarity and gastric absorption:

The same problem occurs when an athlete combines a simple sugar fuel with a complex carbohydrate fuel. The beauty of complex carbs is that they will match body fluid osmolality, not at a 6-8% solution, but a more concentrated 15-18% solution. Even at this seemingly too-high concentration complex carbohydrates (such as maltodextrins/glucose polymers) will empty the stomach at the same efficient rate as normal body fluids and provide substantially more calories (up to three times more) than simple sugar mixtures will. However, when simple sugars and complex carbs are consumed together or near each other, it increases the solution concentration beyond what either source can be efficiently digested at. In other words, when you consume simple sugars and complex carbohydrates together or within close proximity of each other you negate the efficient digestibility of either source. Once again, energy production will be compromised and a variety of stomach issues are likely to occur.

hmmm....

thanks, I'll check more into this. I felt a little of this after Evergreen too, where I used gatorade and hammer gels. Truth be told, I really though nothing of it since when I was 215lbs and a raging alcoholic I had IBS so bad the doctors had me on muscle relaxers. I've since not had near as many issues after losing the weight and getting in shape, but sometimes I discount stomach problems with to recurrance of the old issues. I'll keep a better eye on this in training for sure and maybe try some different products.
2010-08-09 3:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
brick94513 - 2010-08-09 9:58 AM Well it looks like I won't be going to Portland this weekend.  I've been pretty beat up since my race last weekend.   Actually, it looks like I'll be going to the doctor this week.  It appears I might have a stress fracture in my left tibia.  Its painful with walking and just aches when seated.  I can't even imagine trying to run right now.

Ouch!  Hope it's not a break / that the doc gives you a better diagnosis with a speedy recovery plan.  That said, take your time -- having blown an Achilles a while back can tell you that long term rehab is no fun.
2010-08-09 3:58 PM
in reply to: #3031426

User image

Extreme Veteran
Naperville, IL
brick94513 - 2010-08-09 9:03 AM

Nice....  I was thinking about you guys the other day at work.  Fingers were crossed!

I'm so glad you had a good race.  Now you can get that previous race out of your head.

Will keep the bad race in my head and learn from it -- while it's never fun to face "defeat" better to handle it head on.  On the flipside, will keep the race from this weekend in my head REALLY well -- build on the successes when they come.

While the physical conditioning / improvement has been great, am enjoying the mental side even more.
2010-08-09 4:01 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2010-08-09 7:58 AM Well it looks like I won't be going to Portland this weekend.  I've been pretty beat up since my race last weekend.   Actually, it looks like I'll be going to the doctor this week.  It appears I might have a stress fracture in my left tibia.  Its painful with walking and just aches when seated.  I can't even imagine trying to run right now.

Dude that sucks!  You should just give me whatever equipment and supplements you have to your name now.

2010-08-09 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Hey everyone! Sorry I've been MIA. It looks like I have some impressive race reports to read! Great work to everyone who raced recently!

In other news...I got engaged while I was on vaca last week! =) Next year is going to be BUSY. Anyways, I did some running and one swim while I was off last week, I need to get the data off my Garmin so I can log it on BT. There was LOTS of celebrating too so this month I'll be running my butt off.
2010-08-09 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3032972

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

dhopman - 2010-08-09 2:31 PM

In other news...I got engaged while I was on vaca last week! =)

Congatulations!  I assuming she said yes.  Surprised

2010-08-09 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3032919

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-08-09 2:01 PM
Dude that sucks!  You should just give me whatever equipment and supplements you have to your name now.

Hahaha!  I don't think so!  I'll do XTERRA Incline one legged if I have to!  I've work too hard and battled too many injuries this year not to go to Nationals!
2010-08-09 7:43 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA

While I might not be able to run right now, at least I can still ride and swim.  I got a easy MTB ride in this morning.  It was about 60 percent on the road, but got some good climbs in on the fireroad.  Leg felt fine as long as I kept my cadence high and light.  So, the injury might be a good training toolUndecided

Also, I got a swim in this afternoon.  Main focus was drills.  No kick turns though.

2010-08-09 9:41 PM
in reply to: #3033264

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
brick94513 - 2010-08-09 7:43 PM

While I might not be able to run right now, at least I can still ride and swim.  I got a easy MTB ride in this morning.  It was about 60 percent on the road, but got some good climbs in on the fireroad.  Leg felt fine as long as I kept my cadence high and light.  So, the injury might be a good training toolUndecided

Also, I got a swim in this afternoon.  Main focus was drills.  No kick turns though.

This is what separates the mountain bikers from the rest!

Btw.. Congrats Dave!

2010-08-10 3:13 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
I decided to go to the lake this morning and get an OWS done in my new suit.  I had baught a Blueseventy LJ a while back and haven't been able to use yet,  I'm pretty pleased with the suit; it's just a little tight around the neck, but hopefully with a few more swims it will stretch out a tad.  It's not as bouyant as my 2XU suit though.
2010-08-10 5:59 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri

Nice, congrats Dave!

For you lake swimmers, what can I expect in comparison to racing in the ocean?  My next race will be in Lake Mead but our pools close after Labor Day so I might not get any swimming in after the beginning of September unless I hit the beach.

ETA:

Race report  if anyone is interested.

Edited by shmeeg 2010-08-10 7:54 PM
2010-08-10 10:12 PM
in reply to: #3035632

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
shmeeg - 2010-08-10 3:59 PM

For you lake swimmers, what can I expect in comparison to racing in the ocean?

I like swimming in the ocean a lot more than the lakes!  I grew up around the ocean and just love everything about it.

Anyways, the differences.  In a lake, you are going to be less bouyant and will lack any assistance-resistance from nature.  Obviously, no waves, rips, sandbars, et, but normally a little better visibility.  In the lake, you will be able to find landmarks to spot off easier on the opposing shore.

In my opinion, ocean swims require the most skill.  If you can do the distance in the ocean, you will have no problems in the lake.
2010-08-10 10:38 PM
in reply to: #3036018

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Ok, cool, I can certainly deal with that.  Haven't done 800 in the ocean, but I'm not concerned about the distance.  Pretty sure I don't have anything to worry about other than just moving slow.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » brick94513-GoGoGo Mentor Group - Closed For Now! Rss Feed  

of 108