BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 276

2010-03-13 3:49 PM
in reply to: #2722117

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!!

DIANE -

That is truly too bad about your friend and waht sounds like a pretty calamitous fall. Any improvements for her? As for you, your contingency plan sounds good. Alternatively, you can run it at your pace, and then after finishing, if you're feeling good and chipper, run back to join her on her hobblin' ways! But's it's wonderful that your sciatica continues to improve. You're a quick syudy in your receovery from this, this time around!

And your swim update -- WOW! The improvements really are huge, and you really shouldn't be thinking along the lines of "I know I am very slow at this". From where you were a couple or three months ago to where you're at now --- that's almost a sea-change difference. And many people recommend warm-ups and cool-downs be done with different strokes, so even if you don't resort to backstroke in May, doing it now in your w-u and c-d makes a lot of safe, practical sense. (NOTE: For me, however, since impinging my shoulder 2 or 3 years ago, i haven't done a lick of backstroke. No one told me I shouldn't, but i can just see overextending it and ending up with another impringement. [And on that note, I DID manage to hurt the formerly-impinged shoulder while swimming this morning, so now I'll go through a day or two of excruciating worry that I've done it again. ]).

If you would be so kind, can you post some of the pertinent details about the 5km next weekend?

2010-03-13 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2724784

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Um....er.....uh.....I seem to have misplaced the names of the motels you are booked for at Peterborough and Muskoka.

Help?

2010-03-13 4:52 PM
in reply to: #2559115

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
I hope everyone is having a good weekend.

I'm very excited - I got my bike today! Well it isn't built yet, but it should be ready next week. I got the 2009 Fuji Roubaix.

Can't wait to start doing some outdoor rides now that the weather is improving (current rain storm notwithstanding) and now that we'll have some extra daylight.

Tracey

2010-03-13 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2719909

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
FoxfireTX - 2010-03-10 9:39 PM

After almost two weeks of not running, finally ventured onto the treadmill this morning.  I am thrilled that I was able to get through a 2 mile run/walk in 23:28 with no major issues with my sciatica.  A little sore at the end but no real pain and hopefully the stretches will take care of it.  I still can't believe how quickly I got through this episode compared to the usual healing time.  Just glad that it seems to be over for the most part and I will make sure there are no ladders in my future:-)

SteveA and Dwayne, hope you two find some relief soon.  Tracey, sounds like you have found a great solution to keep in your back pocket for dealing with your neuroma. 

Diane,

23:28 with walking intervals mixed in is a great time for 2 miles in my opinion! Glad the sciatica didn't flare up.

Tracey

2010-03-13 5:11 PM
in reply to: #2721524

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-03-11 4:57 PM

TRACEY -

Very glad that the DVRT (Desperately Vigorous Rubbing Technique) worked! Now, you can experiment with faster alternatives. There's no guarantee on these, all of which involve finding a hard object of which you can grate your foot with the show still on. What do I have in mind here? Maybe a curb, or a park bench, or a largish rock? This is just a random idea, as I have never tried this myself. It's likely that it won't penetrate enough through the bottom of your running shoe, but worth a wild try, anyhow.

Do you use speed laces? This will help diminish the loss of time in a race just by way of not requiring you to untie and tie your shoe. If you don't have speed laces yet, just wait until the expo at Multisport World in what -- 9 days? Many of the vendors will carry them, and there are several different companies. My preference is for EZ Laces (I'll check that name; as it is I just know the packaging!)

The two greatest inventions since sliced bread are BodyGlide and speed laces. Honest!

SteveB:

I will definitely check out those speed laces. I love to shop so I know I'll pick up a few goodies at the expo.

Tracey
2010-03-13 5:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
I seem to be having a new problem with my knee. I went for a 5k run/walk last week and did the running intervals hard and fast. For a couple of days after my right knee was really sore, especially going down the stairs. It's a bit better but still bothering me quite a bit. It's my right knee that I always kneel down on when I'm doing things like cleaning up spills, tying my son's shoes, etc., and I find when I kneel on the hard floor I get a sharp pain. In fact I can't do it - I have to kneel on the left. I can kneel on it somewhat if I come forward a bit on the knee rather than put the weight straight down on it. Have no idea what it is since I've never had knee issues before.

It seems running is not kind to me!

I'm wondering if I'd have fewer issues if I lost a few pounds. If I could get back down to the weight I was at before I had my son (which would require me to lose about 15 pounds), I think I'd feel better overall. But dangit, it's so hard!!

Tracey

2010-03-13 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
I also wanted to mention that I'm thinking of checking out Chi Running. I think one or two others in the group (maybe Mandy?) are incorporating some of the elements of it into their running. I'd love to hear any feedback.

Thanks!

Tracey
2010-03-13 5:27 PM
in reply to: #2724773

New user
SteveB,

The legs are still uncomfortable!! So I'm not moving the quickest but this kind of discomfort is OK with me.

I did get the run in last night. Everything went as planned. 33 min @ 6.5. Still planning on the long run tomorrow. Also swam today. 2 sets of 800m each. A bit long but I kept pushing myself to maintain good form and practice bi-lateral breathing.

I was also out about today. Stumbled upon a used book sale at which I found a copy of Fitz's plan book you keep referring to. That thing is huge and so far in my 5 minutes of looking at it, who has time for level 5 and up?? On either IM or HIM...even the Oly high level plans look like a lot of time.
2010-03-13 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2724808

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-13 5:21 PM ANNE - Um....er.....uh.....I seem to have misplaced the names of the motels you are booked for at Peterborough and Muskoka. Help?

We are staying at the Comfort Inn on King William Street in Huntsville and the Quality Inn on Lansdowne Street West in Peterborough.   Both are close to the race sites and  have drive up suites.   We stayed at the Comfort Inn last year in Peterborough, but they don't have drive ups and I won't leave my bike in the van.

Are you thinking of doing one or both?   YES, I hope!     Cool
2010-03-13 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2724754

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-13 4:21 PM ANNE - Going to your log continues to be a revelation! What did I learn today? (1) I like the recommendation to shorten the rests so it is 10X50 on 1:05. I think you'll see improvements with that tactic! (2) 6X 2 flights at the rec center. Good stuff! (3) Great sequence on the 5X200, with each 200 being varied and valuable. How did the 15" R.I. feel to you? (4) Strained MCL, maybe? Urp. Go easy on it, just in case! (5) Can you exist happily on only 3 Bikrams a week?

(1)   There is no question that my RI's for the 50's and 100's have been too long.   Brian said the 1.05 will be hard work, but I should be able to do it.

(3)  The 15" RI for the 5 x 200 was OK, and he wouldn't allow me to let up on the kicking.     He walks along the edge of the pool and let's me know if I start to let up.   I told him to be tough on me.  

(4)  I'm kind of at a loss re this knee thing.   I have never had a knee problem before.   If it is strained, how easy should I go on it?   I don't seem to have any instability.   Not sure if you went back as far as Wed. but that is when it first happened and I made notes on what I was feeling when I woke that morning.  

I don't feel like making an appt with a PT right now.   I have my annual physical on the 26th, so if it is not better by then I will get it looked at.  

(5)   I would really feel better with 4 Bikrams a week - ideally 2 back to backs on Mon and Tues, plus Thur and Sat.   I find it fits in well on the bike days.   However, when I really get into the tri training, I know it will only be 2-3 for sure.   
2010-03-13 9:06 PM
in reply to: #2724838

User image

Champion

"ARCHIVED" WARNING -- #1

If this year is anything like last year, sometime in April you will set out to visit the group ---- and we won't be there! There will be a void where we used to be; either that, o new groups will be there instead.

But not to worry! At that point all you have to do is click the other place on the forum list, the one that says something like "Mentor Program Archives", and there we'll be -- the name will be the same, just new digs.

I'll probably issue about four more of these, just so no one gets left behind. (It took quite some time for several people last year to find us, and others were brought back only via PMs!)

2010-03-13 9:16 PM
in reply to: #2724838

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Yippee! You got the bike! When it will be ready for ridin'? Cool beans!

Not so cool beansy is the knee. Hmmm. Whereabouts are you feeling the pain?

Chi running will be illuminating, and there is a lot to say about it. I was first exposed to it at the expo for Boston Marathon '04, and at that time it was a pretty new concept. Pose Running had come on the scene a year or two before, but that didn't catch the public's attention as did Chi. (The founder of Chi is much accessible than is the founder of Pose; otherwise, the two are very similar. And add Newton into the mix, and it's kind of the Holy Trinity of current running thought.)

Depending on how you run currently - and I'm referring to your stance and body position and center of gravity - Chi will be something very new and different. You may find some relief from your knee problems, as properly-executed Chi/Pose/Newton technique are gentle on the joints.

So if you can fit it in to your day's agenda, do so!

2010-03-13 9:24 PM
in reply to: #2724870

User image

Champion

SHAUN -

Jeezum, nice work stumbling across the Fitz book! Seredipity, or what?!?

You're right about finding the time crunch daunting, and for thousands of people that's what effectively keeps them from "going long". There are those, however, who want to go long and decide to do it on minimal hours --- and a few even succeed at this!

My two irons took more hours than I care to think about, and it's one of the reasons I haven't pursued a third --- and I have the luxury of actually having virtually all of my hours otherwise unaccounted for! Mostly, though, it's just somehting that can get consumptive, and I would rather put some of my energies into something other than 18-20 hours of serious training each week.

(And then there's the wee problem of my less-than-bionic body, which tends to break down when pushed too hard and too far for too long. Were I less prone to injuries, I'd maybe be more prone to serious iron-training!)

Good run, and good swim ----- and good luck on the longer run tomorrow!

2010-03-13 9:33 PM
in reply to: #2725049

User image

Champion

ANNE -

First, thank you for re-posting those motels. I will try REALLY hard to keep better track of them this time around!

Second, nothing is at all certain - still!! - about my season plans. Per Steve's request from about two weeks ago, i will psot a couple of tentative schedules shortly ---- just so you all can laugh at me alter when you find out how poorly I did at sticking to ANY of them!

Third, I will try to get the scoop on MCL problems. That is not one that has plagued me (yet), but with most knee issues it is good to back off bit just to see what will happen. My thoughts on knees, being the potentially unstable devices they are, is that it doesn't take much to get probelms activated in them. But as for MCL ---- I'm not even sure of the terminology for them. I mean, I hear about them being torn, but beyond that I'm just not sure what the range of problems can include. I think you would know if it was torn, so because you're not somewhere writhing inpain right now, I think you can rule out it being torn. WHEW!!!

I'll google around and see what I can find.

2010-03-13 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2725075

User image

Champion

REMEMBER TO SET YOUR CLOCKS UP AN HOUR --- "SPRING FORWARD", GANG!

2010-03-14 8:19 AM
in reply to: #2725078

User image

Champion

STEVE (and others?) -

My '10 race schedule(s?)? You'll be sorry you asked. Brace yourself!!

PLAN A
2 May -- Bassman (NJ) - hybrid (sprint/oly)
23 May -- Columbia (MD) - olympic
5 June -- Mooseman (NH) - olympic
26 June -- Tupper Lake (NY) - hybrid (sprint/oly)
10 July -- Musselman (NY) - sprint
7 Aug -- Fronhofer Tool (NY) - two races: olympic in a.m., sprint in p.m.
Here's where things get messier, picking two (or three, in the case of both Cranberries) from the following three weekends:
15 Aug -- West Point (NY) - sprint
21 Aug -- Crystal Lake (NY) - sprint
22 Aug -- Timberman (NH) - halfiron
29 Aug -- Half Vermont (VT) - half iron
28/29 Aug -- Cranberry Country (MA) - oly on Saturday, sprint on Sunday
More messiness?:
18 Sept -- Lake George (NY) - olympic
2/3 Oct -- three half-iron options: MightyMan (NY), HalfFull (MD), Bassman (NJ)
- or -
8-10 Oct -- American Triple-T (NC) -- four events: supersprint (Fr), two olys (Sa a.m, Sa p.m.), half-iron (su)

This is a plan that emphasizes USAT points, and while confusing above, is even more confusing in my head, with other possibilities still vying with those above. To wit: June 6 - Kueka Lake (NY); June 27 - Philadelphia (PA); July 11 - Musselman half-iron (NY); July 25 - Shoreline (NY); Aug 1 - Cayuga Lake (NY); Aug 8 - Lake Dunmore (VT); Aug 15 - Sodus Point (NY); Sept 12/13 - several!

PLAN B
1 May -- Cumberland (ON) - duathlon
22 May -- Early Bird (ON) - duathlon
12 June -- Riverkeeper (ON) - olympic
20 June -- Smiths Falls (ON) - sprint
3 July -- Meech Lake (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly)
and/or
4 July -- Sydenham (ON) - olympic.........OR........Peterborough (ON) - halfiron
11 July -- Graham Beasley (ON) - sprint or duathlon
25 July -- Muskoka (ON) - hybrid (oly/HIM)
and/or
31 July -- National Capital (ON) - sprint
and/or
1 Aug -- K-Town (ON) - hybrid (oly/HIM)
15 Aug -- Thousand Islands (ON) - sprint or oly or duathlon
and/or
22 Aug -- Cornwall (ON) - olympic
4 Sept -- The Canadian (ON) -- half-iron or sprint
18 Sept and beyond -- see Plan A

This is a plan that is mostly local and highly budget-conscious.
USAT races (esp. Columbia and Fronhofer) can be inserted into the above schedule!
Peterborough has qualifying spots for Ironman Canada, which is on Aug 29. I'm sure I can get one of those spots, I doubt I will traipse out to B.C. to do IMC. But if I did, then after Muskoka there would be nothing until IMC. Probably. Possibly.

PLAN C
5/6 June -- Woodstock (ON) - sprint on Sat, hybrid (oly/spr) on Sun
-or-
13 June -- Binbrook (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly)
26 June -- Welland (ON) - half-iron
17/18 July -- Gravenhurst (ON) - oly on Sat, sprint on Sunday
25 July -- Bala Falls (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly)
and/or
7 Aug -- Bracebridge (ON) - half-iron
and/or
15 Aug -- Toronto Islands (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly)
28/29 Aug -- Cobourg (ON) - oly on Sat, sprint on Sun
12 Sept -- Wasaga Beach (ON) - olympic

This is kind of local, at least being Ontario-based -- but most of the events are 4-6 hours distant. Again, some USAT races can be inserted, according to whim. Also, Peterborough and/or Muskoka could be switched in instead of soemthing else, here or there!

Other thoughts involve irons. Rev 3 (OH) on Sept 12? Chesapeakeman on Sept 26? Beach 2 Battleship on Nov 14?

Any questions??

Edited by stevebradley 2010-03-14 8:42 AM

2010-03-14 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2725206

User image

Champion

STEVE (and others?) again -

Oh. Yeah. I also want to at least THINK about racing less this year.....although that doesn't seem to be reflected in the above schedules does it?

But "less" is kind of relative, isn't it? I mean compared to '07 (11 tri, 5 du) and '08 (10 tri) and '09 (10 tri, 3 du).....practically ANYthing is improvement!

My initial thought was 6-9 seriously-trained-for races -- at least in the June through September time-frame. After September I "allow" myself some room for frivolity, which I guess means doing things because they catch my fancy. I would train for them, but in a sense they are dessert. But for something like Triple-T, well, that would be a pretty serious endeavor -- kind of hard to view as mere dessert.

So many races, so little time!

Edited by stevebradley 2010-03-15 4:17 PM
2010-03-14 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Mason City, IA
Hi All
Nice to see everyone actively training and working toward their goals. It is inspiring to see the dedication at all levels, from the Steves (who go long) to those working to overcome injuries (I've been there and can share your frustration, and had to learn the hard way not to push too hard, too fast - remember the turtle & the hare).
I have been fortunate to have been able to put in 3 weeks of solid training. I am using the Fitzgerald level 3 Olympic training plan - so far, so good. Like all of the rest of you who live above the Mason-Dixon line, I am anxiously awaiting the point where I can consistently train outside (I had no idea using the trainer was such a workout ). I was able to get outside for a run last Sunday, and plan to again today. I haven't braved a bike ride outside yet. I've had a couple spills and do not want another one if I can help it (being 46 means feeling MUCH less indestructible).
No big changes with my M-I-L, which at this point is good news.
Hope you all have a great day.
Mark
2010-03-14 11:37 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carver, Massachusetts
stevebradley - 2010-03-14 9:19 AM

STEVE (and others?) -

My '10 race schedule(s?)? You'll be sorry you asked. Brace yourself!!

PLAN A
2 May -- Bassman (NJ) - hybrid (sprint/oly)
23 May -- Columbia (MD) - olympic
5 June -- Mooseman (NH) - olympic
26 June -- Tupper Lake (NY) - hybrid (sprint/oly)
10 July -- Musselman (NY) - sprint
7 Aug -- Fronhofer Tool (NY) - two races: olympic in a.m., sprint in p.m.
Here's where things get messier, picking two (or three, in the case of both Cranberries) from the following three weekends:
15 Aug -- West Point (NY) - sprint
21 Aug -- Crystal Lake (NY) - sprint
22 Aug -- Timberman (NH) - halfiron
29 Aug -- Half Vermont (VT) - half iron
28/29 Aug -- Cranberry Country (MA) - oly on Saturday, sprint on Sunday
More messiness?:
18 Sept -- Lake George (NY) - olympic
2/3 Oct -- three half-iron options: MightyMan (NY), HalfFull (MD), Bassman (NJ)
- or -
8-10 Oct -- American Triple-T (NC) -- four events: supersprint (Fr), two olys (Sa a.m, Sa p.m.), half-iron (su)

This is a plan that emphasizes USAT points, and while confusing above, is even more confusing in my head, with other possibilities still vying with those above. To wit: June 6 - Kueka Lake (NY); June 27 - Philadelphia (PA); July 11 - Musselman half-iron (NY); July 25 - Shoreline (NY); Aug 1 - Cayuga Lake (NY); Aug 8 - Lake Dunmore (VT); Aug 15 - Sodus Point (NY); Sept 12/13 - several!

PLAN B
1 May -- Cumberland (ON) - duathlon
22 May -- Early Bird (ON) - duathlon
12 June -- Riverkeeper (ON) - olympic
20 June -- Smiths Falls (ON) - sprint
3 July -- Meech Lake (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly)
and/or
4 July -- Sydenham (ON) - olympic.........OR........Peterborough (ON) - halfiron
11 July -- Graham Beasley (ON) - sprint or duathlon
25 July -- Muskoka (ON) - hybrid (oly/HIM)
and/or
31 July -- National Capital (ON) - sprint
and/or
1 Aug -- K-Town (ON) - hybrid (oly/HIM)
15 Aug -- Thousand Islands (ON) - sprint or oly or duathlon
and/or
22 Aug -- Cornwall (ON) - olympic
4 Sept -- The Canadian (ON) -- half-iron or sprint

This is a plan that is mostly local and highly budget-conscious.
USAT races (esp. Columbia and Fronhofer) can be inserted into the above schedule!
Peterborough has qualifying spots for Ironman Canada, which is on Aug 29. I'm sure I can get one of those spots, I doubt I will traipse out to B.C. to do IMC. But if I did, then after Muskoka there would be nothing until IMC. Probably. Possibly.

PLAN C
5/6 June -- Woodstock (ON) - sprint on Sat, hybrid (oly/spr) on Sun
-or-
13 June -- Binbrook (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly)
26 June -- Welland (ON) - half-iron
17/18 July -- Gravenhurst (ON) - oly on Sat, sprint on Sunday
25 July -- Bala Falls (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly)
and/or
7 Aug -- Bracebridge (ON) - half-iron
and/or
15 Aug -- Toronto Islands (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly)
28/29 Aug -- Cobourg (ON) - oly on Sat, sprint on Sun
12 Sept -- Wasaga Beach (ON) - olympic

This is kind of local, at least being Ontario-based -- but most of the events are 4-6 hours distant. Again, some USAT races can be inserted, according to whim. Also, Peterborough and/or Muskoka could be switched in instead of soemthing else, here or there!

Other thoughts involve irons. Rev 3 (OH) on Sept 12? Chesapeakeman on Sept 26? Beach 2 Battleship on Nov 14?

Any questions??

Wow Steve, any of your plans are impressive!

I may join you at the Cranberry Country sprint in August. It depends on how my Timberman sprint goes the weekend before! (Lakeville, MA is practically down the street from me...)

Would you have any interest in doing the Buzzards Bay sprint on 9/26? I hear it's a nice course. I'm registered for that one.

Tracey

2010-03-14 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2725278

User image

Champion

MARK -

Good to hear from you, sensing that all is quite copacetic!

I, too, am awaiting that first outside ride - maybe tomorrow. The next two days are supposed to be 14C - which is positively balmy for this time of the year - will the following three being 12, 9, and 11. This is well above my threshold for outside rides, and as long as the wind dies down I'll be out there. (Right now the winds are ~27mph, gusting to 40mph.....and I'm not even running in that!)

This is the first winter in several (2? 3?)that I have made it this far with no injuries to put my running on the shelf. (I'm not counting the ITB problem, late Nov, that was part of my marathon training --- that was pre-winter! ) So, I'm definitely with you on working very hard to avoid THTFS -- Too Hard Too Fast Syndrome.

Also with you on no longer feeling indestructible. My injury-proneness has been a constant reminder of one level of not being indestructible; the bike crash last June was a whole other world. To crash like I did and emerge with just a separated shoulder and lots of road rash was pretty remarkable......but it also leaves me feeling that I dodged a cannonball. Still and all, I no longer bounce like I used to, and I have to remember that as I continue to age onwards.

I made it through last season riding as aggressively as ever, but I've found myself feeling a bit leery as the outside ride season appraoches. I don't know what that's all about ---- but I guess I'll find out how real it is in a day or two. Part of me says that if I can't be aggressive I might as well not be doing this stuff, but I think that if it comes to that, I can dial things back a bit and still feel okay about my intensity and my efforts. I'm hoping it's just some off-season silliness, however!

Which week are you in of Fitz? I'm glad he's working for you, as I think his plans are uber-excellent for the cost -- what, $20US?

You, too -- have a good day!

2010-03-14 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2725354

User image

Champion

TRACEY -

Yes! I would! I have looked at it the past two seasons, as it's one of those races that favors me some -- that is, a relatively short swim! I don't have it in front of me, but I think it is 1/4mile swim, 15mile bike, 4mile run? Better go check it!

things are still really up in the air about next weekend, with the balance tipping towards not being able to go. Lynn will be going to Toronto and I might have to go with her, and even if I don't we will need to board our dog --- and the kennel lady is not answering her phone. Hmmmm.

2010-03-14 12:00 PM
in reply to: #2725354

User image

Champion

TRACEY again -

Kinda close? It is really 1/3mile swim, 14.7mile bike, 3.1mile run. Right church, wrong pew....

The best plans are only as good as their execution, so we'll see how those shake down. Recent history shows that what I say in winter is hardly what unfolds during the season, so....

It's kind of like "Telephone" - you know, where the first person whispers to the next person something like "Last Thursday in front of the post office there was an accident involving a motorcycle and a chicken", and by the time it reaches the last person it is "Past mysteries of incidents of lost officers don't revolve around sharpened staples." That's my past few seasons -- they happen, but bear little resemblance to how I saw them way-back-when.

Or something like that?

2010-03-14 12:01 PM

Master
Kitchener
stevebradley - 2010-03-14 9:19 AM STEVE (and others?) - My '10 race schedule(s?)? You'll be sorry you asked. Brace yourself!! PLAN A 2 May -- Bassman (NJ) - hybrid (sprint/oly) 23 May -- Columbia (MD) - olympic 5 June -- Mooseman (NH) - olympic 26 June -- Tupper Lake (NY) - hybrid (sprint/oly) 10 July -- Musselman (NY) - sprint 7 Aug -- Fronhofer Tool (NY) - two races: olympic in a.m., sprint in p.m. Here's where things get messier, picking two (or three, in the case of both Cranberries) from the following three weekends: 15 Aug -- West Point (NY) - sprint 21 Aug -- Crystal Lake (NY) - sprint 22 Aug -- Timberman (NH) - halfiron 29 Aug -- Half Vermont (VT) - half iron 28/29 Aug -- Cranberry Country (MA) - oly on Saturday, sprint on Sunday More messiness?: 18 Sept -- Lake George (NY) - olympic 2/3 Oct -- three half-iron options: MightyMan (NY), HalfFull (MD), Bassman (NJ) - or - 8-10 Oct -- American Triple-T (NC) -- four events: supersprint (Fr), two olys (Sa a.m, Sa p.m.), half-iron (su) This is a plan that emphasizes USAT points, and while confusing above, is even more confusing in my head, with other possibilities still vying with those above. To wit: June 6 - Kueka Lake (NY); June 27 - Philadelphia (PA); July 11 - Musselman half-iron (NY); July 25 - Shoreline (NY); Aug 1 - Cayuga Lake (NY); Aug 8 - Lake Dunmore (VT); Aug 15 - Sodus Point (NY); Sept 12/13 - several! PLAN B 1 May -- Cumberland (ON) - duathlon 22 May -- Early Bird (ON) - duathlon 12 June -- Riverkeeper (ON) - olympic 20 June -- Smiths Falls (ON) - sprint 3 July -- Meech Lake (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly) and/or 4 July -- Sydenham (ON) - olympic.........OR........Peterborough (ON) - halfiron 11 July -- Graham Beasley (ON) - sprint or duathlon 25 July -- Muskoka (ON) - hybrid (oly/HIM) and/or 31 July -- National Capital (ON) - sprint and/or 1 Aug -- K-Town (ON) - hybrid (oly/HIM) 15 Aug -- Thousand Islands (ON) - sprint or oly or duathlon and/or 22 Aug -- Cornwall (ON) - olympic 4 Sept -- The Canadian (ON) -- half-iron or sprint 18 Sept and beyond -- see Plan A This is a plan that is mostly local and highly budget-conscious. USAT races (esp. Columbia and Fronhofer) can be inserted into the above schedule! Peterborough has qualifying spots for Ironman Canada, which is on Aug 29. I'm sure I can get one of those spots, I doubt I will traipse out to B.C. to do IMC. But if I did, then after Muskoka there would be nothing until IMC. Probably. Possibly. PLAN C 5/6 June -- Woodstock (ON) - sprint on Sat, hybrid (oly/spr) on Sun -or- 13 June -- Binbrook (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly) 26 June -- Welland (ON) - half-iron 17/18 July -- Gravenhurst (ON) - oly on Sat, sprint on Sunday 25 July -- Bala Falls (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly) and/or 7 Aug -- Bracebridge (ON) - half-iron and/or 15 Aug -- Toronto Islands (ON) - hybrid (spr/oly) 28/29 Aug -- Cobourg (ON) - oly on Sat, sprint on Sun 12 Sept -- Wasaga Beach (ON) - olympic 18 Sept and beyond -- see Plan A This is kind of local, at least being Ontario-based -- but most of the events are 4-6 hours distant. Again, some USAT races can be inserted, according to whim. Also, Peterborough and/or Muskoka could be switched in instead of soemthing else, here or there! Other thoughts involve irons. Rev 3 (OH) on Sept 12? Chesapeakeman on Sept 26? Beach 2 Battleship on Nov 14? Any questions??

WOW!   What a schedule.  Sounds so exciting.    As much as I enjoy the HSBC races, I think you would be quite disappointed if you had to choose Option C.   
2010-03-14 1:52 PM
in reply to: #2725382

User image

Champion

ANNE -

Just out of curiosity, why do you think the HSBC would be disappointing?

I generally inwardly groan at the thought of too much Somersault and all of those three-splits-only results......but when I put that one down this morning I liked the feel of so little travel. This seems to be a recurring emotional theme as I contemplate '10, and as Lynn would tell me, I ought to pay better attention to my thoughts and feelings.

I like having Further Incentive in my seasons. USAT points are one, series championships (HSBC; Champions Challenge (Somersault); Trisport) are another, things like provincial championships are a third, various Qualifiers are a fourth. I would like to get away from those incentives, but it's mighty hard! A few years ago I conjured up a season that just had me doing individual races I coveted.....but then some injury derailed that plan and I ended up cobbling together an altogether-random season, which led to the following season being one governed by Further Incentives. Bah.

Peterborough has IMC spots. Bracebridge is the provincial long course championship. Cobourg is the provincial olympic championship. Niagara (I think) is the prov. sprint champ. Would some combination of those amuse me? And I could also look at one of the 70.3 as something to qualify for Clearwater at, even though I have no interest in going to Clearwater. But as many someones have said about various qualifiers, the goal is qualifying, not doing the race one qualifies for. I see the sense in that, to a point.

Beyond that, I can just race for the race itself. Period. That's what most people do, and my approach has made it just all so confusing. In most things I believe that small is good, simple is good...........so why should a race season be any different?

Anyhow, let me know why you think a season of HSBC wopuld be disappointing. I think I agree with you -- I just want to hear it from the source!

2010-03-14 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2725463

Master
Kitchener

stevebradley - 2010-03-14 2:52 PM ANNE - Just out of curiosity, why do you think the HSBC would be disappointing? I generally inwardly groan at the thought of too much Somersault and all of those three-splits-only results......but when I put that one down this morning I liked the feel of so little travel. This seems to be a recurring emotional theme as I contemplate '10, and as Lynn would tell me, I ought to pay better attention to my thoughts and feelings. I like having Further Incentive in my seasons. USAT points are one, series championships (HSBC; Champions Challenge (Somersault); Trisport) are another, things like provincial championships are a third, various Qualifiers are a fourth. I would like to get away from those incentives, but it's mighty hard! A few years ago I conjured up a season that just had me doing individual races I coveted.....but then some injury derailed that plan and I ended up cobbling together an altogether-random season, which led to the following season being one governed by Further Incentives. Bah. Peterborough has IMC spots. Bracebridge is the provincial long course championship. Cobourg is the provincial olympic championship. Niagara (I think) is the prov. sprint champ. Would some combination of those amuse me? And I could also look at one of the 70.3 as something to qualify for Clearwater at, even though I have no interest in going to Clearwater. But as many someones have said about various qualifiers, the goal is qualifying, not doing the race one qualifies for. I see the sense in that, to a point. Beyond that, I can just race for the race itself. Period. That's what most people do, and my approach has made it just all so confusing. In most things I believe that small is good, simple is good...........so why should a race season be any different? Anyhow, let me know why you think a season of HSBC wopuld be disappointing. I think I agree with you -- I just want to hear it from the source!

Oh, oh!   First off, I want to say that the HSBC series, is one that I LOVE, in terms of how well they treat their athletes.   The awards ceremonies are really well done;  not rushed; and the draw prizes are GREAT!   

My comment was directed more at you than the general population, just based on the little bit I have been learning about you and your experience, and your motivations for racing.    It sounds like you have been to some pretty awesome events.    Of all of HSBC races, I think Gravenhurst is one that would excite you - jumping off the steam boat and the course is sort of technically challenging.    It is not one of the fastest courses.

Wasaga is OK - flat and fast and better now that they have moved the transition area off the sandy beach.   That was brutal having to run with your bike on your shoulders through the soft sand.    In the past they didn't have a back up plan and if the water  was too rough it was turned into a duathlon, which is not something I would 'du'.   

Cobourg is challenging for the bike (flat run) and very pretty but you also run the risk of having it turned into a duathlon.  

Found Wellend kind of boring.   Don't like the transition set up on a paved parking lot and lots of congestion and possibiltiy for running into people g?o?i?n?g? ???a?r?o?u?n?d? ?c?o?r?n?e?r?s?.    They have lots of volunteers pointing you in the right direction.   ? 

The only other thing that bothers me is the course distances are often not accurate.    

I just have the feeling that you have been to some wonderful events and these might not have the same 'glamour'. 

?

?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » GrooveTime!group - CLOSED!!! Rss Feed  

of 276