Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2010-06-18 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2796294

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Subject: RE: Jon Metz's Group - FULL
Thanks for the links and the information. based on these articles it appears I am hydrating properly and doing what i can to maintain my hydration level. I found out last weekend first hand what happens when you drink too much in the last few miles of the bike thinking you need to prepare for a long run in the heat and humidity. For the first mile or two I had alot of fluid sloshing around in my stomach. it was very uncomfortable, but a leason learned! It really hurt my run time, but once it settled down I was able to push the pace a little.

2010-06-21 8:16 PM

User image

Regular
Hey Jon, how much stock do you put into the idea that 45 mins on a trainer is equivalent to an hour on the road?

My bike has been recalled due to front fork issues, so I've been on the trainer.  Booo.  For some reason the seat is so uncomfortable compared to when I'm riding outside.  Not sure if it's the stop lights that get me out of the saddle or what.
2010-06-22 3:32 AM
in reply to: #2935567

User image

Master
Aneides - 2010-06-21 9:16 PM Hey Jon, how much stock do you put into the idea that 45 mins on a trainer is equivalent to an hour on the road?

My bike has been recalled due to front fork issues, so I've been on the trainer.  Booo.  For some reason the seat is so uncomfortable compared to when I'm riding outside.  Not sure if it's the stop lights that get me out of the saddle or what.
Personally, I can't stand the trainer. I can ride outside for 5-6 hours with no problem but the most time I have ever spent on a trainer is 2 hours. For me it is mostly a mental thing. However, using a trainer is a great tool for improving intensity, speed, cadence, efficiency etc. I would take advantage of this time and do some trainer specific workouts. If you have another bike it won't hurt to take that out on the road to help maintain your road cycling skills.
2010-06-24 7:30 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
Road Rash and Swimming.

So I took my first spill the other day on the bike. Luckily I wasnt injured other than some minor road rash (along my arm and on the heel of my palm), sore shoulder and a bruised ego! Apparently, I need to be more cautious looking over my shoulder while on the aero bars. I hit the lane dividers and down I went! I also think a pair of riding gloves would have saved my palm which seems to have taken the worst of it!

Anyway, my question is .... should I wait a few days to allow for some healing before getting into the pool? If the road rash still stings fairly well while in the shower should I wait till that subsides before entering the pool? Is there a general rule of thumb for something like this? Any home remedies to help it heal faster?

Edited by se7930 2010-06-24 9:36 AM
2010-07-08 12:54 PM

User image

St. Louis
Everyone's been quiet lately, hope you are all doing well. I had a 10k over the holiday weekend and did pretty good - 8th in my age group. I have another sprint scheduled at the end of the month and can't wait!

Good luck training! Stay with it!

Edited by mponder 2010-07-08 12:55 PM
2010-07-14 1:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

So, anyone racing this weekend?

I have my first Oly race this weekend. its going to be hot and humid! I am shooting for a top 10 finish in my AG!

Jon - I am about 10 weeks into my 20 week HIM training program. Do you mind taking a lok at my training log and tell me if you think I am on track mileage wise or if I need to add more time/miles  in a specific dicipline?

Thanks!

2010-07-14 2:34 PM
in reply to: #2980871

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-07-14 2:47 PM

I have my first Oly race this weekend. its going to be hot and humid! I am shooting for a top 10 finish in my AG!

Jon - I am about 10 weeks into my 20 week HIM training program. Do you mind taking a lok at my training log and tell me if you think I am on track mileage wise or if I need to add more time/miles  in a specific dicipline?

Thanks!

I am getting ready to host an open water swim clinic tonight. I will look when I get home tonight or first thing tomorrow morning.
2010-07-15 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2980871

User image

Master

Thanks!

At the 10 week mark you are still should be in the base phase. Your run looks good with a mix of shorter and longer runs. I don't see much swimming. I would suggest at least 3 days a week with some drills to focus on any limitations that you may have. By the 10 week mark, I would also like to see a ride of at least 2:30. I like the days with both bike and run workouts. If you are not doing so, you should start adding in some bricks.
2010-07-15 8:44 PM
in reply to: #2983413

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
jonmetz - 2010-07-15 2:05 PM

Thanks!

At the 10 week mark you are still should be in the base phase. Your run looks good with a mix of shorter and longer runs. I don't see much swimming. I would suggest at least 3 days a week with some drills to focus on any limitations that you may have. By the 10 week mark, I would also like to see a ride of at least 2:30. I like the days with both bike and run workouts. If you are not doing so, you should start adding in some bricks.

Thanks Jon - I appreciate the feedback... with regard to the bike-run bricks, I have heard some say they dont do them at all, some do short 2-3 mile runs after a bike, some do longer runs. What are your thoughts on run distance at the end of the bike? Does it depend on the length of the bike ride?

I was swimming 3 days a week up until around June 21st when I went down on my bike. Good bit of road rash kept me out of the pool while it healed but I am back to 3 sessions a week starting this week. I also plan on starting a master swim class in the next week or 2 to help me with my swim. My last OWS race was a 1:55 -100 meters, so I feel pretty good about my pacing right now, but also think a masters class will do me alot of good. I agree with you on the bike. I need to spend more time in the saddle, especially on my long weekend rides. And will definitely start working in runs at the end of those sessions.

Again thanks for taking the time to look over my logs and give me some feedback

Edited by se7930 2010-07-15 8:47 PM
2010-07-16 6:23 AM
in reply to: #2984177

User image

Master
se7930 - 2010-07-15 9:44 PM

Thanks!

Thanks Jon - I appreciate the feedback... with regard to the bike-run bricks, I have heard some say they dont do them at all, some do short 2-3 mile runs after a bike, some do longer runs. What are your thoughts on run distance at the end of the bike? Does it depend on the length of the bike ride?

I was swimming 3 days a week up until around June 21st when I went down on my bike. Good bit of road rash kept me out of the pool while it healed but I am back to 3 sessions a week starting this week. I also plan on starting a master swim class in the next week or 2 to help me with my swim. My last OWS race was a 1:55 -100 meters, so I feel pretty good about my pacing right now, but also think a masters class will do me alot of good. I agree with you on the bike. I need to spend more time in the saddle, especially on my long weekend rides. And will definitely start working in runs at the end of those sessions.

Definitely do Bricks! I mix up the distances and intensity. Start with a short bike and a short run. Then increase the length and/or intensity of the bike followed by a run. You can also do an easier bike followed by a fast run. Each of these workout are all part of the overall plan. The run after the bike doesn't need to be long. For example, the longest brick run I will do for IM triaining is 8 miles (after a 40-50 mile bike). However, I will do long rides (100-120) followed by shorter runs (4-7 miles).

Doing bricks will also give you an opportunity to practice your T2.
2010-07-16 8:17 AM
in reply to: #2984488

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
jonmetz - 2010-07-16 6:23 AM
se7930 - 2010-07-15 9:44 PM

Thanks!

Definitely do Bricks! I mix up the distances and intensity. Start with a short bike and a short run. Then increase the length and/or intensity of the bike followed by a run. You can also do an easier bike followed by a fast run. Each of these workout are all part of the overall plan. The run after the bike doesn't need to be long. For example, the longest brick run I will do for IM triaining is 8 miles (after a 40-50 mile bike). However, I will do long rides (100-120) followed by shorter runs (4-7 miles).

Doing bricks will also give you an opportunity to practice your T2.

I will definitely adjust my weekend long rides to incorporate bricks and also include shorter faster paced runs after rides during the week

On another note, I had areally awesome swim this morning. for me it was probably the best swim I have had ever. I felt strong the whole way, never was really gassed, and each 500 split time was faster than the previous ... 9:03. 8:20, 8:10 ... total for the main was 1800 yards as my goal today was to swim a mile non stop .. and I could have kept on going .. lots of energy in the pool this morning .. it was really cool!

2010-07-28 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco
so, I went out on a 3 hour ride this past weekend ... saw a bobcat in the sitting in the middle of the road, had some guys pitbull pull him to the ground trying to chase after me (luckily the guy never let go of the leash) ... found out some things about nutrition and hydration ... protein bars are very dry (or atleast the one I had was) and I could barely get 2 bites down without huge amounts of water with it ... GU doesnt work for me on long rides as I still have that hungry feeling ... Accelerade at a 1 scoop to 12 ozs of water makes me burp alot (no stomach or GI issues, just burped A LOT) ... I had 2 - 24oz water bottles with me and went through both plus another 24ozs I picked up along the way and that felt about right for 3 hours (temp when I finished was around 90 and very humid) so sweat rate was up and my weight was about 2lbs less than when I started.

On that note, what do you guys use for nutrition on your long rides ... I plan on trying cliff blocks this weekend and mix my accelerade at a 1/2 scoop to 12oz water to see if that helps with the burping issue
2010-08-25 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco

Wow, its been quiet over here for almost a month? Whats everyone up to ???

Personally, I think my training is going well for my HIM in October. I have one more tune up race in September (an Oly) and then its time to start tapering for the half. looking at my training hours from July and what I will have completed for August, I think I am on track and am kinda "chomping at the bit" now. I hope there isnt a let down between now and race day!

I had a lag in motivation about 2 weeks ago and that showed up in my morning training ritual. I just couldnt get going in the mornings and ended up moving some training around to after work to compensate for being so lethargic in the morning. But now, it appears I am back on track and making all my morning workouts! Coincedentally, that lag in motivation followed the Half marathon I ran .. concidence?? I think not!! LOL

As stated I ran my first half marathon 2 weeks ago ... The Hottest Half Marathon here in Dallas. That was an experience to say the least. I finished in 2:00:32 (yep, missed under 2 hours by :33 seconds!!) and 16th out of 62  in my AG,  but learned a valuable lesson about pacing in longer distance runs. 

My rides are getting longer, runs are getting longer, staying away from injuries (knock on wood) and finally temps are starting to cool around here just a little bit!

Hope everyone else's training is going well!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jon Metz's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 9