BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rowdypaint's Mentor Group- Sorry, we're full... Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-06-15 12:04 AM
in reply to: #2215743

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Subject: RE: Rowdypaint's Mentor Group- Sorry, we're full...
rowdypaint - 2009-06-13 7:09 PM Whew!  School is finally over!  Bring on summer! 

Erik, that tri series sounds great!  Go for it.  Our tri club does weekly practice tris in the summer and I'll do several of those.  They are pretty short (400yd, 7.5m, 2m), but great for transition practice.  I need lots of transition practice.  The one on July 30 is a double; SBRx2. 

Now that I'm free from school, I can really concentrate on training and keeping up with farm work.  Anyone have specific goals for the summer that they can share?  Anything you want to work on or improve?

I have a HUGE goal for the summer... I want to do a 53 mile bike ride... I have the course mapped out... LOTS OF HILLS... I just want to complete it... I have someone who wants to do it with me when I go, she teaches spin... I said I'm slower than her, she said fine  It should be a fun ride... but, I want to work up to it

http://www.mapmyrun.com/route/us/nv/las%20vegas/651124439791442096

Edited by Cardholic 2009-06-15 12:24 AM

2009-06-15 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2217383

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Holy hills, Batman!  That's a kickazz route!  Great goal for the summer.  I suck at hills and that profile scares me. 

2009-06-15 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2075032

User image

Expert
This afternoon I met some girls from work at the local pond for a little tri practice.  They are doing their first tri next weekend and need some guidance.  We swam around the bouys twice (about 400m).  One girl was fine, the other needed more encouragement.  I had to go back for her and talk her in.  Then we got on the bikes and rode most of the sprint course that they are doing.  There is a sprint and an olympic distance at the race.  The course was a bit hillier than I remembered from last year.

Both did fine and finished the ride with smiles.  They even ran a bit to get in a brick.  I stayed with the bikes.  Lots of questions about race day and how to do stuff, esp transitions.  They are coming out on Thurs for our local tri club practice night.  That should be a great help for them. 

For those of you who have raced, any words of wisdom that I can pass on to them?  What kinds of info did you find helpful for race day?  Any help for the panicked swimmer?
2009-06-15 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2219848

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
The only golden nugget that I got from my first tri was a reminder to make sure your bike is in a low enough gear to hop on and go! 
2009-06-16 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Wow, sounds like everyone has been busy. I have a confession to make - I haven't trained in about 2 weeks!! I am going to run home from school tonight, since it's only about 2 miles. I need to get back into it...one you're out for a bit it's difficult to get into the mindset.

Glad to hear everyone else is keepin' on. Good luck to those of you with more tris this month.
2009-06-17 7:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
I hear you, Dermo,

I've struggled a little bit with my "new" schedule.  My kids are out of school and in day camps.  My wife just got back into town (she travels a little bit for work).  New boat (woo!).

I'm trying to get back into a regular groove for my training sessions.

2009-06-17 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2217383

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
Cardholic - 2009-06-15 1:04 AM

I have a HUGE goal for the summer... I want to do a 53 mile bike ride... I have the course mapped out... LOTS OF HILLS... I just want to complete it... I have someone who wants to do it with me when I go, she teaches spin... I said I'm slower than her, she said fine :)  It should be a fun ride... but, I want to work up to it ;)

That sounds like fun, Diane!  It reminds me that I want to get back to Traverse City (Michigan) to do the Zoo-de-Mac ride again, sometime.

******unrelated addition ****************
(I didn't want to post THREE in a row :) )

Apparently, Father's Day will be my opportunity to do some pedal and shoe purchasing.

While perusing the goods at LBS, I was chatting with the salesperson about the shoes, and I couldn't help but notice that the MBT shoes looked to be more suitable for triathlon than their road-oriented brethren (and sistren).  At least they seem more suitable for running through a transition area.

Am I fooled that easily?  (I can't say that it is NOT possible)

What is everyone's shoe preference, and why?

Edited by ethompson 2009-06-17 8:09 AM
2009-06-17 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2223506

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
ethompson - 2009-06-17 7:54 AM
Cardholic - 2009-06-15 1:04 AM

I have a HUGE goal for the summer... I want to do a 53 mile bike ride... I have the course mapped out... LOTS OF HILLS... I just want to complete it... I have someone who wants to do it with me when I go, she teaches spin... I said I'm slower than her, she said fine  It should be a fun ride... but, I want to work up to it

That sounds like fun, Diane!  It reminds me that I want to get back to Traverse City (Michigan) to do the Zoo-de-Mac ride again, sometime.

******unrelated addition ****************
(I didn't want to post THREE in a row )

Apparently, Father's Day will be my opportunity to do some pedal and shoe purchasing.

While perusing the goods at LBS, I was chatting with the salesperson about the shoes, and I couldn't help but notice that the MBT shoes looked to be more suitable for triathlon than their road-oriented brethren (and sistren).  At least they seem more suitable for running through a transition area.

Am I fooled that easily?  (I can't say that it is NOT possible)

What is everyone's shoe preference, and why?

I thought the same thing too...my husband (who does not do tris but does cycle) was aghast and bought me road cycling shoes with very little input from me other than whether or not they felt good.  So far I have only used them for one race and it wasn't too big of a deal for the whole transition issue.
2009-06-17 8:23 AM

New user

Cheshire, CT
I only have mountain bike shoes (as I had a mountain bike way before I started road riding) and I really like them, but I don't have much to compare to. 

Sounds like everyone here is really doing great!  I was on a serious roll but I got kicked off my schedule with this flu I'm trying to kick.  Hopefully I'll be better by this weekend.  As for summer goals - I am planning a half marathon in October, so I'm just trying to work up to that distance and hopefully even get to a respectable pace for it  
2009-06-17 8:28 AM
in reply to: #2219848

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
rowdypaint - 2009-06-15 8:00 PM This afternoon I met some girls from work at the local pond for a little tri practice.  They are doing their first tri next weekend and need some guidance.  We swam around the bouys twice (about 400m).  One girl was fine, the other needed more encouragement.  I had to go back for her and talk her in.  Then we got on the bikes and rode most of the sprint course that they are doing.  There is a sprint and an olympic distance at the race.  The course was a bit hillier than I remembered from last year.

Both did fine and finished the ride with smiles.  They even ran a bit to get in a brick.  I stayed with the bikes.  Lots of questions about race day and how to do stuff, esp transitions.  They are coming out on Thurs for our local tri club practice night.  That should be a great help for them. 

For those of you who have raced, any words of wisdom that I can pass on to them?  What kinds of info did you find helpful for race day?  Any help for the panicked swimmer?

I can't help with the panicked swimmer as I have no experience with that other than to say stay to the back and maybe even count to 10 before following the group into the water.  I started out in the back of my wave last weekend and ended up getting pummeled (mostly because I should have started more to the front of the wave as at this race at least I was more of a FOP swimmer) so maybe even waiting a couple of extra seconds will help avoid the deluge.

As for transition...you don't need as much as you think you do...apply sunscreen before you start and then put it away...same with body glide (unless you are very prone to chafing) the more stuff you have on the towel the more you have to think about what you are doing. 

Also have a water bottle with plain water to wash your feet with if you have to run through sand or mud to get to transition.
2009-06-19 10:37 AM

My race is tomorrow already.  Thanks for the tips on water and towels for washing feet.  I think I am ready.  Did an open water swim in my wetsuit Monday night (about 500 yds).  Wasn't too bad.  Yesterday was a very short bike to run brick (ran 20 minutes after getting home from work).  The run was pretty bad.  Hopefully tomorrow's will be better.  It's pouring now, but supposed to clear up by morning.  Good luck to everyone else with training and races this weekend.
-Katherine

2009-06-19 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Good luck tomorrow, Katherine!  You'll have a great time.  Remember to smile and thank the volunteers. 

2009-06-23 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
How'd it go, Katherine?
We need details!! 
2009-06-23 11:38 AM

User image

Expert
Hey, dudes!  How's it been going?  Yesterday and today it got HOT.  I mean like Africa hot.  How do you folks that live in hot places deal with it?  Seriously, I need tips.  It's around 90 right now and I'm feeling kind of sick.  Blech. 
2009-06-23 11:45 AM
in reply to: #2237078

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
rowdypaint - 2009-06-23 9:38 AM Hey, dudes!  How's it been going?  Yesterday and today it got HOT.  I mean like Africa hot.  How do you folks that live in hot places deal with it?  Seriously, I need tips.  It's around 90 right now and I'm feeling kind of sick.  Blech. 

you wake up WAY earlier than you ever thought you would in order to get your run in before it gets too hot... seriously!  It's 70ish in the morning and gets over 100 by mid-day... it's either run in the early morning, late, late at night... or TM at the gym...  
2009-06-24 1:15 PM
in reply to: #2237078

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
rowdypaint - 2009-06-23 12:38 PM Hey, dudes!  How's it been going?  Yesterday and today it got HOT.  I mean like Africa hot.  How do you folks that live in hot places deal with it?  Seriously, I need tips.  It's around 90 right now and I'm feeling kind of sick.  Blech. 

While I don't live in a hot place, necessarily, I DO live just north of Hell! 

I was debating about getting a fitness club membership, if only so I could get on a treadmill or spinning class in some air conditioning, but then I wonder if that is counter-productive, since any races I'd be doing would most likely NOT be in AC 

Still trying to work that one out.  I don't like biking at or near dark, and since I'm a larger fella, I don't particularly enjoy running/biking in the sweltering heat, which kinda leaves me with treadmill runs and trainer rides in the basement for the moment.

Until I make myself brave the element(s), I'm going to be disadvantaged when it comes to race-time.

2009-06-27 10:28 AM

User image

Expert
Hope you all are having a lovely weekend!  Tomorrow is the big race here in town and two of my friends are doing their first every tri.  They have been asking a lot of questions about nutrition, so I thought I'd add my thoughts here too.

1.  Eat a good breakfast at least 2 hours before the start.  I prefer 3 hours before, but my metabolism is slow.  What works for me (and everyone is different) is a bagel with peanut butter and a banana.  Oatmeal was not good.  Yogurt and cereal was not enough.  Pumpkin choc chip bread was too much sugar (but very tasty).
2.  Gels are your friend ONLY if you have practiced with them.  Nothing new on race day.  One girl has never tried gels and was going to try it out on race day.  Not a good idea.  Know what works for you.
3.  For a sprint, I might have a gel on the bike, but that's about all.  For an Oly, gel before the swim and another on the bike.  Sports drink on the bike if it's hot (>80). 
4.  Know how your body reacts to running with water.  Again, practice will tell you.  I got a nasty side stitch last weekend because I gulped water at a water stop.  Should have known better.  Tiny sips only for me. 
5.  Don't overeat on course.  Most people can only handle 300-400 cals an hour.  Some less than that. 

Hope that helps anyone with nutrition questions.  Have a great day!
2009-06-28 3:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Well, I joined the club!  Yep, I unclicked on the right, and fell over on the left... nothing I could do but start laughing!!!

OK.. I do things in style... it was toward the end of a LONG HOT bike ride, and I was at mile 18.9...where I stopped to catch my breath... looking at a HUGE hill, and I had about 2 - 3 more miles to go, but I was SOOOOO done! So, I said, if I could make it to 19 miles... so I clipped in... just then, my friend came riding down the hill to see if I was okay... she turned around... I decided I wasn't gonna make it, unclicked, and fell over RIGHT IN FRONT OF MY FRIEND AND ANOTHER RIDER...  AND a Truck pulled up and gave me a ride to the top... I was SOOOOO DONE!!!  got back to my car, it was 98* out... 

so I guess I had a couple of firsts today - first time I fell, and first time I quit on a ride... nothing is broken but a bit of my pride... I'll live
2009-06-28 10:31 PM
in reply to: #2248546

User image

Expert
Ouch!  Glad you're OK.  It is kind of funny, once you realize you're not hurt.  I still don't see how you can ride in that heat.  It was in the upper 80's here last week and we were dying!  I got so sunburnt today and I had on sunscreen.  Arg!
2009-06-29 8:14 AM

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
Glad you are ok...and welcome to the club!  I think your fall was a little more dramatic and certainly more warranted than mine was.  But I do agree that once you realize you are ok you just have to laugh!
2009-06-30 10:46 AM
in reply to: #2249594

User image

Expert
Hey guys!  June is almost over.  Can you believe it?  We're leaving early Friday morning for a road trip to St. Louis for a family reunion.  And we're taking the dog with us.  Should be a hoot!  We also found a 10k race to run while we're there.  Might as well use it for a training run.

My race on Sunday went OK.  Not fabulous, but pretty good.  Race report is up. http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=167090

Hope you're all out training hard!

2009-06-30 12:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, Mississippi
Lots of stuff going on in July, and I couldn't decide what I wanted to do... The Local Tri club is putting on a mini-tri on July 11... I even put it on my Race Calendar, but wasn't REALLY sure I wanted to do it... My Masters Swim club is having an Open Water Swim clinic in July, and the first day is the 11th...The Local Running club has a 5k just about every weekend...

Then there's the Notch Run on July 18th... This was the FIRST race I ever did - 2 years ago (last year I was injured) It's 4 miles ALL UP-HILL in the Mountains... I was amazed at how much the elevation bothered me as well as the Hills - it took me OVER an HOUR... but I didn't finish last, and in fact, I took a 3rd place AG award (no one else in my AG was stupid enough to try a race like that)!  

So, I finally decided... I'm doing the OWS clinic on July 11 & 25, Aug 1st?... skipping July, 18th for the Notch Run (hoping I PR the course)... which means I won't be doing the mini-tri on the 11th... I'm just not ready to tri, and I think I'll get a lot out of the clinic... I'm a happy camper today
2009-07-14 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
I haven't been training for a couple of weeks. 

I screwed up my lower back (playing with the kids, I think), and I've visited a chiropractor to get all straightened out.  It feels a little better, but I don't want to train on an injured back.  I'm starting a core-only training program, in theory to help strengthen my lower back.

Hope things are going well with you guys
2009-07-16 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2284253

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southwestern Ontario
Me too. I know I haven't been on in a while. Lots of personal crap. Then, I got back on the training wagon and injured my neck. Stupid RSI from work, I'm sure. Anyway, been off for 2 days and starting to feel better. Going to bike this evening. The bouncing of running still hurts, so we'll see how this goes.

I have not read the recent posts or anything yet, but I hope everyone is having a great summer and great races.

Talk to you soon
2009-07-31 9:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Pinckney, MI
Hi Patty, gang,

I don't know if this is common, but I'm finding it a little difficult to get myself re-started after having a few weeks "away" from the sport.

I'm embarrassed that I've let it go this long without getting my training going again.  I HAVE done some core workouts, and some short runs, but I can't say that I've maintained any race-fitness of any form.

I want to get myself going again, and maybe get another race or two in before the season "ends".  Do you have any suggestions to help resurrect this season? 

Is it just a matter of "Hey dummy, just start training again!!!"? 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Rowdypaint's Mentor Group- Sorry, we're full... Rss Feed  

of 10