BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-02-27 12:05 AM
in reply to: #1982537

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Subject: RE: Marinus' Group - Closed for now
Hi Mary. So, how is the new bike? Did you get out on it?

2009-02-27 8:07 PM
in reply to: #1864322

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

New bike?!?!   How exciting - nothing better than getting a new bike.   It just inspires you to ride more and have fun doing it. 

WOW - february is coming to an end, this month went fast (ya 3 days faster than last month).   Training has been good and it makes it fun when you see improvment, things seem easier and you're healthy.   On Sunday, i'm heading to Chicago for a 5K road race.  I've put in the effort, so hopefully we'll get a break with the weather forecast and i can can test my legs.  I think sub 19 is quite possible but it's close.  A headwind last mile could be the difference between 18:55 and 19:05.  Anyway, whatever happens, it'll be fun to run the race and its really fun post-race party. 

Have good weekend everyone

Steve

2009-02-27 8:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

TRIVIA - which month has 28 days??

2009-02-27 11:33 PM
in reply to: #1986928

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Best of luck in the 5K Steve. Let us know how it goes.

And in answer to your trivia question.... all 12 of them do!  Tongue out

Edited by marinusw 2009-02-27 11:33 PM
2009-02-28 3:47 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Hi gang. How's the weekend going? Everyone's been quiet. We just got in from a nice 65km ride. It was a bit chilly at +5c, but mostly sunny, and went on a nice rolling route.

Run/ride/swim smart, and safe. And keep your eyes on your goals.

Marinus

2009-02-28 7:58 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Add a PR for me today.  5K race this morning and knocked off 5 seconds.  Wife ran well also and we had a nice breakfast after.  It was a good day.

Oh, does anyone else think that 5K's hurt an excessive amount for the distance?

Chet

2009-03-01 9:25 PM

User image

Hi All - the new bike's great - except I only got a quick 30 minutes of riding in before having to get back to work - I picked it up on an extended lunch hour.  Haven't officially tried out the clipless pedals yet - figured when the weather cooperates a little I'll take it back out with regular pedals and get used to the bike itself first - it's totally new to me - the shifting, ride position etc is so different than my hybrid that I want to be comfortable with it before tackling these clipless pedals...but I'm 'practicing getting in and out of them in my basement for the time being.  I think 'muscle-memory' is finally starting to take hold as last night I could do it without much trouble at all - finally getting the feel for them - we'll see how that translates to actual riding!!

Had a 5 mile run yesterday & the boring weights last night - sure wish there was a way to make weights more appealing!  Swim today was productive - 1000 yards - about 25% of it was drills - they're paying off - cut almost another full 2 sec off my lap time and time between swims is less - this must mean I'm building better swim-aerobic lungs!!  I've been trying to do what you suggested Marinus & swim some laps in an anaerobic state & I think that's helping as well.  Definitely a process!

Most of us must be in the snowy upper states as it seems we're all chomping to get out into some decent biking weather!!  Soon....

2009-03-02 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1988538

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Way to go Chet! Add another PR for the group. And yes, the fast / shorter events do seem to hurt a LOT more.
2009-03-02 3:28 PM
in reply to: #1990588

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Fantastic Mary. It sure looks like your hard work in the pool is really paying off. And I know for sure we're all chomping at the bit to get out more on the bike. Ride safe.
2009-03-02 4:18 PM

User image

Calgary, Alberta

Finally this Sunday the weather in Calgary was great (~3 degrees, sunny).  It has been freezing for so long but it looks like its going to be nice for the week.  I got out for a nice slow run on Sunday, 8.3km, the longest I have gone since the fall and I felt great at the end of the run!  I'm hoping to get out on my bike for the first time this year this week as long as some of the snow melts this week!

2009-03-03 7:09 AM
in reply to: #1992409

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
smoore3 - 2009-03-02 4:18 PM

Finally this Sunday the weather in Calgary was great (~3 degrees, sunny).  It has been freezing for so long but it looks like its going to be nice for the week.  I got out for a nice slow run on Sunday, 8.3km, the longest I have gone since the fall and I felt great at the end of the run!  I'm hoping to get out on my bike for the first time this year this week as long as some of the snow melts this week!

Expecting temps in the 70s F (low 20s C) this weekend here in North Carolina. Hoping to get familiar with my road bike again. Plus with Daylight Savings Time starting this weekend, I will soon be bidding farewell to the trainer for another season.

Hope everyone is doing well ... congrats on the PR Chet.

Bob

2009-03-03 8:45 AM
in reply to: #1992409

User image

Master
Saskatchewan
smoore3 - 2009-03-02 4:18 PM

Finally this Sunday the weather in Calgary was great (~3 degrees, sunny).  I'm hoping to get out on my bike for the first time this year this week as long as some of the snow melts this week!

Not bitter here in Saskatchewan. Laughing Actually, I tried living in Calgary once and it didn't look good on me. Sigh...looks like rain turning to snow here today. it's going to be a mess outside so I hope to get out for a run beforehand.

Hey, did 90 minutes on the trainer last night...go me! Watching 24 helped a whole lot.

Nice PRs in all the sports team!

2009-03-04 3:03 PM
in reply to: #1993610

User image

Abbotsford

Hey All,

Been awhile...glad to see everyone is doing great with the training! Great job on the PR Chet! 5km's definitely hurt...to fast for the old knees.

Was on the road for work last week so I was only able to get in a couple of treadmill runs. One was a decent 7km. Longest of the season, hurt but felt good when I was done. Added in some higher heart rate sections in the run to start build up the VO2 max.

Haven't run all week this week...lost luggage! Going to try to get a ride in tomorrow.

G

2009-03-05 5:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

Yes Chet - the pain-to-kilometer ratio is off the charts.   Non-runners think it's funny when i say that a half marathon hurts less than a 5K.   Congrats on PR

My 5K on Sunday went well considering the bizarre events of the morning.   Driving down to chicago it was decent, but saw a 2 car crash immediatley in front of us and we stopped to check on drivers, the driver who was at fault, wnet into reverse after hitting the retaining wall, airbags deployed, took off.  The SUV he hit and sppun had some major damage also, took off after him.  His airbags were also deployed.  We couldn't follow at those speeds, but gave the 911 operator significant information and directions.  My guess is that someones car had to fail soon after they left the tollroad.

Now about 20 mile from race site, it is starting to snow.  THis is on top of the fact the the temp is 22F, and very windy.  We get there and get our stuff.  Decide on what to wear and go for warm up run.  The roads are snow covered now and slippery.   I dress my best to stay warm.   THe wind is everywhere, seems like always in your face, snow is snow hard off lake michigan that at times you can't see.   Kept fighting with every step, was very competetive and crossed line in 19:34.   Splits 6:19, 6:09, 6:26 and not sure about last 1/10th.   I was 28th OA and 1st in age group.  Very nice morning.  My daughter who had been battling a sore throat and very little running finsihed in about 35:00 (she is usually around 31:00.  WE got home and she went to the walk-in clinic and found out she had strep throat.   She tougher than me

Here's the link to our pics   My number is 667 and she is the lucky one with 666

http://www.fotojack.com/photo/?race=1157&sid=bae68fc513c9a961c4feda885974827d&pg=1&val=667#

Edited by got2run 2009-03-05 5:43 PM
2009-03-06 1:17 PM

User image

Expert
Henderson, NV

Steve - that is a great time for a 5k in good weather!  Pictures are always nice too so thanks.  Much too cold for me though...Brrrr.

I am off to Disney World with the family.  My wife is running the Princess Half Marathon on Sunday then we will have a week at the parks.  She has been training hard with out injury so I am expecting a good run from her.  I am more nervous for her than I am for my own racesSmile

I expect to get some running and an ocean swim in while we are there.  Everyone have a good week.  Chet

2009-03-06 5:50 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Steve: GREAT run! That time would be very good on an ideal day. But looking at those photos... OMG! Congrats!

Chet: Have fun at WDW. We did the Goofy on '08 and had a great time. And some of my club's people doing it this year decided during the race to get onto one of the 'coasters and have a ride. Sure looked funny when they downloaded the Garmins! Just goes to say... some are to race, and some are for fun. I hope you have fun!

As for me, my wife and I have an Oly tri Sunday. The forecast is -4c and mixed precip. Surprised This should be interesting! Undecided I'll keep your photos in mind Steve when I think I'm cold. Wish us luck!

Have a good weekend everyone, and be safe!

2009-03-06 9:44 PM

User image

Nice time Steve - i could only wish for something in the low 20's and it's been years since i hit that!  Marinus -i had to run the converter to see what -4c equaled in farenheit - yikes - that's like 24 degrees!!  Your swimming in that?!  YIKES!!  Good luck to you...swim fast!

Swim tomorrow (starting an 8 week technique & endurance swim class) & then a 6 mile run is in the cards for me.  Hoping i can get out on my new bike sunday - it's supposed to be in the 50's!  Yeah!!

have a great disneyland trip C - sounds like fun for sure!

2009-03-06 11:13 PM
in reply to: #2003213

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
Fortunately the swim is an indoor pool swim. Laughing That's not bad in the forecast weather, but yippes Surprised when we exit the pool for T1 and onto the bike. I just hope the roads are bare & dry! Oh the joys of early season events. You never know what you'll get. I'll let you all know how it goes.
2009-03-07 11:58 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Hi gang. I hope your weekends and training are going well. Our weather forecast for tomorrow is better. No snow or rain for race time, and the temp should be JUST above freezing by race start. Still not warm, but I'll take it!

I just came across an interesting swim plan web site. While I still highly recommend a coached master's class, if you're looking for some swim plans, have a look at: http://www.swimplan.com/

2009-03-08 8:04 AM
in reply to: #2004445

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Been a great weekend here. Day off from work on Friday, so got in a 30-mile ride. Did another 30 miles on Saturday with local cycling club. Hope to get in 40 miles today to make 100 miles for the 3-day weekend.

Absolutely beautiful weather ... temps in the 70s and sunny.

Marinus ... good luck with the race.

Edited by rventuri 2009-03-08 8:06 AM
2009-03-09 1:00 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC

Hi group. I hope your weekends went well.

The Oly tri was, as always, a good experience to learn and challenge myself. I try to take something positive and learn from every event and to make notes so I can go back on them. Here's how it went:

The weather cooperated, relatively. It was clear and dry, and the temperature was about +4c at race start.

The pool swim went as planned. I seeded myself well based on a 30min estimate. The 4 people in front of me were much faster, so I did not have a draft to pull me. But I didn't have anyone slower in front to hold me up, and no one behind pushing me. I ended up being out of the water just under 30 min. I was slow in transition while I struggled to get my clothing on while damp. Summary: Good aspects – Felt strong & executed a good plan. Finished 3rd in my age group. Improvements needed: My T1 was slow due to a less than efficient clothing change anticipating cold weather on bike.

The bike was a 4 loop course with the first half of each loop generally downhill and a moderate or steep climb at the end of each loop. I fueled with a gel at the end of loop 1. From the very start my feet felt like ice blocks, and this was made worse because of a badly sprained toe on my L foot. I felt strong except for a bit of tiredness at the end of the 3rd loop. Good aspect: Good speed, maintained aero for most of the ride, and was strong on the climb. Finished 1st in my age group on the bike. Improvements needed: Review nutrition and means to warm feet without wasted time in T1.

T2 went well and I took another gel before heading off on the run. My feet felt like ice blocks for the first 4km and the sprained toe was very painful. At the 4km mark I felt a nice rush of warm blood to my feet. The 1st half was slow, but I picked up the pace for the 2nd half. Finished 2nd on the run. Good aspects: Negative split and worked through the initial discomfort. Improvements needed: Tied to the bike: Find a way on cold events to prepare my feet for the run better.

The end result: A podium finish and 2nd in my age group.

Edited by marinusw 2009-03-10 10:28 PM

2009-03-09 7:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Racine, WI

Nice job in the tri - Brrrrrr -  i really hate cold feet.  

Chet - i know what you mean about being more nervous for her than your own races.  When my daughter ran her first marathon i was so nervous, then the following year my other daughter did her first tri - again few more gray hairs.  I think you always hope for the best and that they have a positive expereience. 

2009-03-10 7:27 AM
in reply to: #2006530

User image

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
Excellent finish...

Cold feet and hands are the worst...

The best money I ever spent was for my Shimano Winter Road shoes. They really do a great job of keeping your feet warm and dry. I have never had to use them in a race, but in the conditions you had over the weekend, something like that may have been helpful.

2009-03-10 10:25 PM
in reply to: #2007823

User image

Regular
Richmond, BC
I considered putting on my booties, but I didn't want to waste even more time in T1. But there sure were moments on the bike when I wish I had!
2009-03-12 9:17 PM

User image

Nice finish Marinus - nothing shabby about 2nd in your group.  Especially in that freezing weather - YIKES is all I can say.

My goal is to just place somewhere in my age group - this is my 2nd year of Tris and i'm hopeful...we'll see..I didn't miss by much last year.

Had a long (for me) swim on Tuesday night (1575 yds) & I now have minor twinges of pain under my right shoulder blade & an achy back - i think i need some strengthening exercises?  Or - is this just one of those things I need to get used to experiencing from time to time?  this swimming is all new to me so i'm not sure what to expect.  i generally do about 3000 - 3200 yds per week in a total of 3 sessions (sometimes a bit more) - so did i just overdo it?  it's hard to tell when you're swimming 'cause nothing hurts while you're in the water!

All input greatly appreciated by this verrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyyy novice swimmer.  thanks!! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Marinus' gang - Thanks to a great group! Rss Feed  

of 11