BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2008-05-19 5:05 PM
in reply to: #1351583

User image

Kansas
Subject: RE: PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed!
Put a few pics in an album from the wedding. It's in the albums area under Big Mama wedding!

2008-05-20 12:19 AM

User image

Veteran
I just saw the photo's... beautiful. Everyone looks so happy.... you have every reason to feel proud. Now it is time to take a little time for you.

Thanks for sharing.
Elizabeth
2008-05-20 7:38 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-05-20 7:46 AM

Modesto, California

Cool pics, what an awesome wedding!

2008-05-20 10:15 AM
in reply to: #1412003

Elite
Tucson, AZ
You look awesome in the wedding pics!
2008-05-20 10:52 AM

Kansas
Thanks for the wonderful comments! It was a beautiful wedding.  And I was really happy to be in such great shape!! I'm off to the pool this morning and I know it's probably not going to be an easy morning since I've been off schedule, but it'll be great to get back into the swing of things.  Any suggestions since I'm 3 weeks and 4 days away? I'm beginning to get a tad nervous about it all. I was planning on being able to swim at least 900 yards by now and I can; ride my bike 15 miles or more and I can; and run at least 5-7 miles...which I'm still struggling with. Should I work more on running right now? And get an OWS in sometime in the next week or so? Our tri club in town is planning a practice swim at the lake where the tri is being held so I thought that would be a good thing to do. But, I'm not sure what else I should really be working on as I head into these last few weeks.

2008-05-20 11:08 AM
in reply to: #1413528

2008-05-20 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1413590

Elite
Tucson, AZ
wgraves7582 - 2008-05-20 8:08 AM

Big Mama - 2008-05-20 11:52 AM Thanks for the wonderful comments! It was a beautiful wedding.  And I was really happy to be in such great shape!! I'm off to the pool this morning and I know it's probably not going to be an easy morning since I've been off schedule, but it'll be great to get back into the swing of things.  Any suggestions since I'm 3 weeks and 4 days away? I'm beginning to get a tad nervous about it all. I was planning on being able to swim at least 900 yards by now and I can; ride my bike 15 miles or more and I can; and run at least 5-7 miles...which I'm still struggling with. Should I work more on running right now? And get an OWS in sometime in the next week or so? Our tri club in town is planning a practice swim at the lake where the tri is being held so I thought that would be a good thing to do. But, I'm not sure what else I should really be working on as I head into these last few weeks.

Personally I would focus on the weakest link of the 3 right now (not totally ignoring the other 2 - but you are confident in those areas and you want to feel strong the day of).

Definitely do the OWS, keep on the bike, but spend a little extra time just running (your z1-z2 level no hard stuff!).

Hope our Captain agrees with this logic - I don't want to get thrown overboard - even though I could use the OWS practice!

Totally agree with Bill (no risk of getting thrown overboard ).

You want to maintain your swim and bike and not loose what you've gained, but try to focus on your weaker sport. Sometimes it's something easy like doing an extra run workout a week, or cranking up the intensity on one of the run workouts if you are short on time. But keep up the swimming and biking...you don't want to loose those.

Definitely do the OW swim practice with the tri club. You'll get experience on the course, and be there with others that can give you good tips. Javamom had some excellent gains doing OW swims with her local club before her race this past weekend. Plus, it will reduce the nerves a bit if you get to see the course well before race day. On race day you'll be familiar with the territory.

2008-05-20 1:08 PM

Master
Wisteria Lane
Yes, I totally agree about the OW practice. I really cannot imagine completing the tri without all of that practice. The OW is so different from the pool.

Your pictures are absolutely gorgeous!! I can't believe you call yourself Big Mama...you are stunning!!
2008-05-20 5:32 PM
in reply to: #1409876

Master
movingsouth - 2008-05-18 7:54 PM

I know what my goal should be! core or strength exercises 3 times this week, and not all on the same day (as for Big Mama's bday) so how about making it T/Th/Sa. Yes. I need them on a calendar so I get them done.

Tuesday's goal met!  

BigMama - you and your girls look great!  Glad it was a good day for all. go run to celebrate!
Javamom - way to do the OWS!  and send some of those 21yo guys to my race in June pls
Schrup - you ran!  I hope you're on the mend!
Bill - go be a fish.
nevergivin - did you get any of our cooling fog this AM?  it was bliss!
aelizabeth - go buy some cooling bandanas and cool the heat.  I hate hot runs; gimme rain.
PirateCap'nGirl - congrats on your 2008 totals!!

Now have I told y'all that I should get my roadie from the LBS tonight???  well, hubby should get it for me... maiden ride MIGHT be tonight rather than waiting to brick it tomorrow   She has zero miles on her.  Not even on a trainer...

2008-05-20 6:15 PM

Kansas
Found a women only triathlon in September not far from where I live, so I went ahead and signed up! Thought it would be good to have another event to shoot for once my tri is over in June. I don't want to just do this one and then wonder what I'm doing next. I'm hoping the "women only" will be a great experience. The run is actually on trails, so that will be fun. Getting ready to go run in a little bit. Went to the PT today and he's got me doing some crazy exercises to strengthen my right ankle which is supposedly what's messing up my hip! Weird. He wants me to run 30 minutes tonight to see how I do. So, I'm gonna go run 30 minutes!!

2008-05-20 10:46 PM

Veteran
I would def. focus on the swim. You can always walk on the run but you can't really do much if you struggle with swimming. Is the Women's tri a Danskin? I am doing the Danskin disneyland tri and it just hit me that the swim is in the lagoon which will be in the 60's. So... does that warrant a wet suit? If so, where oh where can I find a short and wide wetsuit at a reasonable price? I am doing tri's for fitness... so I certainly don't want a high end one. Also... I am a fairly strong swimmer but I have never done an OWS... do you think i will be ok in the lagoon?

How is everyone doing? I have resigned myself to the gym since it hit 108 the other day.

Happy training and thanks so much for the support.

Elizabeth
2008-05-21 8:02 AM
in reply to: #1414743

Modesto, California
movingsouth - 2008-05-20 3:32 PM

I know what my goal should be! core or strength exercises 3 times this week, and not all on the same day (as for Big Mama's bday) so how about making it T/Th/Sa. Yes. I need them on a calendar so I get them done.

Tuesday's goal met!  

BigMama - you and your girls look great!  Glad it was a good day for all. go run to celebrate!
Javamom - way to do the OWS!  and send some of those 21yo guys to my race in June pls
Schrup - you ran!  I hope you're on the mend!
Bill - go be a fish.
nevergivin - did you get any of our cooling fog this AM?  it was bliss!
aelizabeth - go buy some cooling bandanas and cool the heat.  I hate hot runs; gimme rain.
PirateCap'nGirl - congrats on your 2008 totals!!

Now have I told y'all that I should get my roadie from the LBS tonight???  well, hubby should get it for me... maiden ride MIGHT be tonight rather than waiting to brick it tomorrow   She has zero miles on her.  Not even on a trainer...

Thanks for the cooler weather, it arrived today, hope the bay area stays cool for the A's game I'm going to Saturday(A's vs Boston).

What kind of roadie,make,model,color,etc?

Ab routine:2x25 situps,2x25 knee-in crunches,2x30sec bridge,2x30sec bicycle kick...........

2008-05-21 8:09 AM

2008-05-21 10:25 AM

Kansas
Elizabeth, I have questions about the wetsuit, too. I got online and looked at pictures from last year's tri that I'm doing and there were a lot of wetsuits so I'm going to assume that it would be a good idea to get one. And I'll probably want one for the tri in September I just signed up for. My husband and I went scuba diving long ago and we wore wetsuits but I'm assuming they were different than they are now. At least I hope so cuz I felt like I was suffocating in that thing! Is it better to get one that is sleeveless? I'm wondering if there are places online to get used ones maybe? And I will have to have a short one. I can buy capri pants and they are regular length on me so I am a true shortie!
2008-05-21 10:49 AM
in reply to: #1415334

Elite
Tucson, AZ

azelizabeth - 2008-05-20 7:46 PM

I am doing the Danskin disneyland tri and it just hit me that the swim is in the lagoon which will be in the 60's. So... does that warrant a wet suit? If so, where oh where can I find a short and wide wetsuit at a reasonable price? I am doing tri's for fitness... so I certainly don't want a high end one. Also... I am a fairly strong swimmer but I have never done an OWS... do you think i will be ok in the lagoon?

60's is pretty cold water. I think 57 or 58 degrees is where they make wetsuits mandatory. Some places have wetsuits for rent, and there may be a store doing that for the tri. Or you may be able to rent one locally and take it with you to the tri. That may be a better bet as you can try it on beforehand and make sure it fits, plus the store people will be able to help you out.

The swim is in the lagoon at Disneyland? Like where the canoe rides and Tom Sawyer boats take you to the island?

2008-05-21 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1414743

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-05-20 2:32 PM

Tuesday's goal met!  

Awesome! Just 2 more days to go!

I barely got swim #1 for the week done. I don't recommend a weekend of waterskiing during hard tri traning. Holy cow my arms and shoulders were killing me! I survived 26 min of swimming on Monday. Arms are still sore today (probably due to last night's ride) but hopefully I'll be able to do the full swim workout tonight.

2008-05-21 11:07 AM

Modesto, California

Wetsuit tips I have discovered. The best way to aproach wetsuits is to try as many on as you can, I did this last year and this is what I found:

• Just because they sell wetsuits does not make them experts, fit is everything and there is nothing worse than bieng 500 yards into a swim and find out the neck is too tight, water in suit,shoulder area is too tight. Find someone that knows how to fit,ask around .
  • Be prepared, after trying on two or three wetsuits you will be very tired and very sweaty, try them all.
  • The more expensive suits are better made, faster, last longer, and allot more comfortable in shoulders and neck and easy to remove. My suit was over $400.00 with 30% off and fits very snug, I dont need to lube it to get it to come off.
  • If you buy online,try it on in a store before hand, again fit is everything.
  • Each brand will fit you differently, therefore I cannot recommend a suit for you, also look at all the zipper release systems,you may find you like one better than the others.
  • Sleeveless is good if the temp is not too cold, cheaper and allows more freedom in shoulders, but you sacrifice bouyancy and warmth.
  • Rub and push the rubber to move it around, dont pinch it or you will surely rip it!

2008-05-21 11:09 AM
in reply to: #1416121

Modesto, California
PirateGirl - 2008-05-21 8:49 AM

azelizabeth - 2008-05-20 7:46 PM

I am doing the Danskin disneyland tri and it just hit me that the swim is in the lagoon which will be in the 60's. So... does that warrant a wet suit? If so, where oh where can I find a short and wide wetsuit at a reasonable price? I am doing tri's for fitness... so I certainly don't want a high end one. Also... I am a fairly strong swimmer but I have never done an OWS... do you think i will be ok in the lagoon?

60's is pretty cold water. I think 57 or 58 degrees is where they make wetsuits mandatory. Some places have wetsuits for rent, and there may be a store doing that for the tri. Or you may be able to rent one locally and take it with you to the tri. That may be a better bet as you can try it on beforehand and make sure it fits, plus the store people will be able to help you out.

The swim is in the lagoon at Disneyland? Like where the canoe rides and Tom Sawyer boats take you to the island?

Renting is the best way to go to decide what you like and do not like!

2008-05-21 11:14 AM

Master
Wisteria Lane
I just got my wetsuit at Tribe in Scottsdale. I thought about renting but the place in town that rents costs $50 for the weekend and my wetsuit cost $125 total.

So far I have used it for 4-5 practices and then the tri last weekend and I love it. I probably could have gone down a size but it was so hard to tell when trying them on. If I do a colder water swim or a longer one (like HIM) then I will probably upgrade and buy a long sleeve one.
2008-05-21 11:15 AM

Master
Wisteria Lane
BTW, I wanted to add that I bought mine pretty quickly but to do it again I would buy from the Xterra outlet as they had some in a similar price range that I think were better quality.

2008-05-21 11:17 AM
in reply to: #1415654

Master
nevergivin - 2008-05-21 6:02 AM

Thanks for the cooler weather, it arrived today, hope the bay area stays cool for the A's game I'm going to Saturday(A's vs Boston).

What kind of roadie,make,model,color,etc?

Ab routine:2x25 situps,2x25 knee-in crunches,2x30sec bridge,2x30sec bicycle kick...........

It is supposed to be cool this weekend - good thing as I'll be camping, climbing, and hiking in Pinnacles for Mem weekend.  Awful to do in the HEAT with the kids. Should be actually pleasant!  I'm supposed to do a 50 minute run too.  maybe I'll do a trial run! 

Sorry Bill I can't send you the heat.  I'm happy to have a cool blast return.  Waking up to a house still at 77 from the prior day's heat and no nighttime cooling -- yuck.  This morning the house was 64.  yeah!

2008-05-21 11:25 AM

Master

Oh - I got up for my brick this morning... first ride on my road bike!!

I got one of the great sale bikes - a Javelin Garda.  She looks fast and, well, felt fast.  But I did a HILL for my workout and forgot to hit the lap for flats splits so dunno how fast!  I think my quads will feel this workout.  It was a 5 miler with a ~220' climb in .7 miles.  And I dropped my chain shifting on the downhill, needs a tweak to fix that.

But oh she felt good -- amazing how smooooooth road tires feel after miles on mud hawgs on the mtn bike!  I might try to sneak another ride before we get away.

2008-05-21 11:37 AM
in reply to: #1416199

Elite
Tucson, AZ

Javamom - 2008-05-21 8:14 AM

I just got my wetsuit at Tribe in Scottsdale. I thought about renting but the place in town that rents costs $50 for the weekend and my wetsuit cost $125 total. 

TriSports here in Tucson charges the same for rentals. If you end up buying the suit they contribute your rental payment towards the purchase payment. I have the Women's Fluid Drive sleeveless wetsuit from ProMotion. They are a BT sponsor, so I got 10% off. With that the suit was $150, so I didn't bother renting any suits. I'm average-sized though, so it was easy for me to buy an online suit I had never tried on.

2008-05-21 11:39 AM
in reply to: #1416234

Elite
Tucson, AZ
movingsouth - 2008-05-21 8:25 AM

But oh she felt good -- amazing how smooooooth road tires feel after miles on mud hawgs on the mtn bike!  I might try to sneak another ride before we get away.

The difference in rolling resistance is huge, isn't it! New bikes are so much fun, and a great motivator for workouts. Gotta play with the new toy, after all.

Sounds like you have a fun weekend planned with the camping, hiking, and climbing!

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » PirateGirl's group - CLOSED - Pirate ship has sailed! Rss Feed  

of 15