BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amschrod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2009-01-25 8:34 PM
in reply to: #1856717

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Amschrod's Group - FULL

Hey everyone, thank you for your support for my race today. I ran well, finishing with a time of 24:45. I wanted to get closer to 24, but I don't think I really could have done that much better. It was about 15 degrees, and I think that slowed me down a little. I was hoping for temps in the 30's so I could run in shorts, but what are you going to do? I will see if I can work one of the warmer weather 5K's into my schedule this year to try to get closer to that elusive 24 minute mark. As always, I feel like I could have pushed myself a little more, but I am happy with my performance. I'll write a race report tomorrow.

There are some fast old dudes around here! My time put me at 15 out of 28 in Men 50-59, and the top 4 in my age group were all under 20 minutes!

Anthony

2009-01-25 8:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Congrats!!  45 seconds will be totally doable in good weather!!  Nice job, today!

So here's a question I posted in triathlon talk, but wanted to get everyone's opinion here as well.  I can't figure out which HIM training plan I should use (I begin 3/1).  The silver 20-week plan starts off really intensely, like 11.5 hours the first week!  On the other hand, the beginner plan seems a little easy.  What should I do?

2009-01-26 12:11 PM

User image

Well a happy Monday to one and all

I have to admit to feeling pretty pleased with myself - I finally managed to follow an evening workout (5 mile run on Sunday) with a morning workout (9 miles on the bike trainer).

Long may it continue

In other good news I gained 1 pound!

J

2009-01-26 1:28 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York
Nice job, Julian!  Are you trying to gain weight?  If so I will happily donate some of my extra pounds to your cause!
2009-01-26 5:55 PM
in reply to: #1929487

User image

kcovert1 - 2009-01-26 11:28 AM Nice job, Julian!  Are you trying to gain weight?  If so I will happily donate some of my extra pounds to your cause!

Laughing yeah right gain weight! I am trying to lose about 5 pounds to get my BMI below 25. The weird thing about ramping up my training is that I have lost about an inch off my waist (pants are looser) but I can't seem to get the weight down at all. I need to control my intake but I really struggle when I increase my training load

J

2009-01-26 7:05 PM
in reply to: #1928337

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-25 9:41 PM

Congrats!!  45 seconds will be totally doable in good weather!!  Nice job, today!

Thank you. I know I can do it.

So here's a question I posted in triathlon talk, but wanted to get everyone's opinion here as well.  I can't figure out which HIM training plan I should use (I begin 3/1).  The silver 20-week plan starts off really intensely, like 11.5 hours the first week!  On the other hand, the beginner plan seems a little easy.  What should I do?

That is an excellent question, and to tell you the truth, I have been thinking about it all day. I also am going to do a more structured plan this year. I mentioned earlier that marmadaddy is working on a custom plan generator that is supposed to  be ready early this year, but it isn't yet. I will try to find the thread or PM him to see if it will be ready soon. Also, the "Triathlete's Training Bible " is a good source for creating a training plan. It gets a little complicated, so it's a little like being back in school

I looked around the web a little and found there are some other free training plans like this one: Half Ironman Triathlon Training Program. One of the problems for me with a pre made plan is fitting it into my schedule. For example, some days are much better for me to get to the pool. Plus, I don't know about you guys, but for me fitting 2 hours of training into a work day is not very easy!

I agree, the silver plan starts a little too hard and the beginner plan a little too easy for me as well. But it is definitely time to get a plan together. It's only 24 weeks until Musselman! I will start working on a plan using the "Training Bible" this week and will see how it goes.

Anthony

ETA: I didn't work today, so it's OK that I was thinking about training all day

Edited by amschrod 2009-01-26 7:07 PM

2009-01-26 7:09 PM
in reply to: #1929274

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-26 1:11 PM

Well a happy Monday to one and all

I have to admit to feeling pretty pleased with myself - I finally managed to follow an evening workout (5 mile run on Sunday) with a morning workout (9 miles on the bike trainer).

Good to see you got a run in. I am hoping that your toe is feeling good today.

Long may it continue

In other good news I gained 1 pound!

J

2009-01-26 7:15 PM
in reply to: #1930252

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-26 6:55 PM

kcovert1 - 2009-01-26 11:28 AM Nice job, Julian!  Are you trying to gain weight?  If so I will happily donate some of my extra pounds to your cause!

Laughing yeah right gain weight! I am trying to lose about 5 pounds to get my BMI below 25. The weird thing about ramping up my training is that I have lost about an inch off my waist (pants are looser) but I can't seem to get the weight down at all. I need to control my intake but I really struggle when I increase my training load

I know what you mean about the intake. I really can't believe how much I ate today! As far as your weight goes, since you've lost an inch on your waist, I wouldn't worry about it. You've probably added some muscle. Cycling really builds up the muscle in your legs. 

Anthony

2009-01-26 7:22 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

I got in a good swim this morning.  This week is really hectic at work but that's what makes working out in the morning the best- NO excuses-  I am totally beat tonight and thankful I dont have to hit the gym during peak hours.   Tomorrow is an intense track work out4x1600 under 8 min.  I hope the weather holds out, cold and rainy in the forcast.

If anyone is looking to gain weight- I am a willing donor!  Why cant we do fat transplants?  Wouldnt that be great.

Good luck finding a good training program.  The one my"coach" from the trysports store has made us is way to easy for me right now- I just kinda make up my own swim stuff from things I have read.  I am a structure person, need to have everything planned out ahead of time- spreadsheet like (yes, i get that anal about it!). So hopefully my dude will help me get a more challenging plan once my 1/2 marathon is over and I am not consumed by running.

I am still hoping to do the Mussleman sprint if I can work my vacation back home to that weekend.  If I end up going to Portugal for surf kayaking, all plans will be up in the air for most of the tri season.  I need to win the lotto so I can train in all my hobbies and not have to work and travel without worrying about money!

Sorry for the ramble

Paula

2009-01-26 8:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Hey, guys!

I got an email today from Trakkers, and I am officially part of the Trakkers 2009 Team!  I can't believe it!  They want my '09 race schedule ASAP, so I'm really going to have to figure things out.  I'm definitely doing Musselman half, and the Wineglass marathon on 10/4.  Now I have to figure out the in-between stuff.  Does this sound like too much?

6/7 Rev3Tri relay (1.2 m swim/ 13.1 mile run)

6/20 Green Lakes Sprint Tri

7/19 Musselman

8/9 Cazenovia Olympic

9/5 Skinnyman Sprint

10/4 Wineglass Marathon

I really love Caz and Skinnyman and would hate to not do them, but they would definitely be just for fun.  Let me know what you think!

BTW, Anthony, let me know what you come up with for HIM plan.  I'm thinking about sort of merging the beginner and the silver BT plans.

2009-01-27 3:51 AM

User image

Wilmington NC

Congrats Kelly- that's awesome!!!  Good luck with your training- I did the wineglass relay back in highschool- it was a great race. My brother in law did it a few years ago and said he really liked it.

Hope to see you at the Mussleman!

Paula

2009-01-27 11:34 AM
in reply to: #1930413

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-01-26 8:22 PM

I got in a good swim this morning.  This week is really hectic at work but that's what makes working out in the morning the best- NO excuses-  I am totally beat tonight and thankful I dont have to hit the gym during peak hours.   Tomorrow is an intense track work out4x1600 under 8 min.  I hope the weather holds out, cold and rainy in the forcast.

I like working out in the morning, also. Nothing to interfere with you, so like you say, no excuses. That is an intense track workout. I have a couple like that in my plan, and I have to psych myself up for them-almost like a race.

If anyone is looking to gain weight- I am a willing donor!

No thanks! I have plenty of my own weightLaughing

Good luck finding a good training program.  The one my"coach" from the trysports store has made us is way to easy for me right now- I just kinda make up my own swim stuff from things I have read.  I am a structure person, need to have everything planned out ahead of time- spreadsheet like (yes, i get that anal about it!). So hopefully my dude will help me get a more challenging plan once my 1/2 marathon is over and I am not consumed by running.

Whatever you are doing with your swim is good, because you had a very good workout yesterday! Plans are good. I am sure your dude will challenge you more after your HM.

I am still hoping to do the Mussleman sprint if I can work my vacation back home to that weekend.  If I end up going to Portugal for surf kayaking, all plans will be up in the air for most of the tri season.  I need to win the lotto so I can train in all my hobbies and not have to work and travel without worrying about money!

Surf kayaking in Portugal? Your life is way more interesting than mine. Hope you can make it to Musselman.

Sorry for the ramble

I like reading rambles, and writing them, too

Anthony

2009-01-27 11:46 AM
in reply to: #1930514

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-26 9:12 PM

Hey, guys!

I got an email today from Trakkers, and I am officially part of the Trakkers 2009 Team!  I can't believe it!

Well that is pretty darned cool. Congratulations!! 

They want my '09 race schedule ASAP, so I'm really going to have to figure things out.  I'm definitely doing Musselman half, and the Wineglass marathon on 10/4.  Now I have to figure out the in-between stuff.  Does this sound like too much?

6/7 Rev3Tri relay (1.2 m swim/ 13.1 mile run)

6/20 Green Lakes Sprint Tri

7/19 Musselman

8/9 Cazenovia Olympic

9/5 Skinnyman Sprint

10/4 Wineglass Marathon

I really love Caz and Skinnyman and would hate to not do them, but they would definitely be just for fun.  Let me know what you think!

Looks pretty good to me. About one race a month which is what I shoot for. Plus it looks like there is plenty of time between your longer events, and it is always good to have "just for fun" events.

BTW, Anthony, let me know what you come up with for HIM plan.  I'm thinking about sort of merging the beginner and the silver BT plans.

I am working on it. Looks like a possible snow day tomorrow, so I will have plenty of time. I also posted on a thread about the plan generator, but I have not heard back from ron or marma. For me as a non-techy it sounds pretty complicated, and I hope they didn't think I was being pushy. Sometimes tone is hard to get across on the internet, so just so you all know, I am a little shy, but I am also very friendly

Anthony

2009-01-27 12:49 PM

User image

Hey everyone

Just thought I would share - I finally got up enough cash to make the big leap into the world of bike ownership. The bike a posted a few pages ago is already on it's way to me and should arrive (if UPS don't lose it - don't ask) Feb 2.

I chose a road bike from bikes direct - aluminum frame, carbon fork and shimano 105 derailleur for $699. 

So what sort of naming ceremony should I have, I don't really fancy smashing a bottle of champagne over it when it arrives

J

2009-01-27 1:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

We should name our group the New Bike Crew!!  That's awesome, Julian!  As far as naming the bike, I'm sure it will come to you as soon as you see it.  

Anthony,  I saw your post over on the questions page, and I thought it was very nice.  I have no idea how they do that kind of stuff...pretty amazing if you ask me.  If they figure out before March, I will definitely upgrade to be able to use it.

Paula, I saw your post was at 4:51something a.m....you should be so proud of yourself to get up that early to work out.  I'm dead at that time of day.

2009-01-27 4:46 PM

User image

Hey

with all this talk of musselman I just looked the race up on the web. Now I know it is about as far away from me as I could find but maybe I could bring the family up for a vacation and combine that with the race. Would any of you know a good family orientated place we could stay if I were to come up

J

2009-01-27 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1931745

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-27 1:49 PM

Hey everyone

Just thought I would share - I finally got up enough cash to make the big leap into the world of bike ownership. The bike a posted a few pages ago is already on it's way to me and should arrive (if UPS don't lose it - don't ask) Feb 2.

I chose a road bike from bikes direct - aluminum frame, carbon fork and shimano 105 derailleur for $699. 

So what sort of naming ceremony should I have, I don't really fancy smashing a bottle of champagne over it when it arrives

Congratulations on your new bike! Enjoy many miles of fun on her (him?) I'm not real good at naming bikes, but drinking some champagne instead of smashing the bottle sounds like fun

Anthony

2009-01-27 5:48 PM
in reply to: #1931795

User image

Expert
kcovert1 - 2009-01-27 2:13 PM

We should name our group the New Bike Crew!!  That's awesome, Julian!  As far as naming the bike, I'm sure it will come to you as soon as you see it.  

Anthony,  I saw your post over on the questions page, and I thought it was very nice.  I have no idea how they do that kind of stuff...pretty amazing if you ask me.  If they figure out before March, I will definitely upgrade to be able to use it.

It sounds pretty interesting to me, too. I am anxious to hear what they say about it.

Paula, I saw your post was at 4:51something a.m....you should be so proud of yourself to get up that early to work out.  I'm dead at that time of day.

I noticed the time as well, and was very impressed. Great dedication.

Anthony

2009-01-27 5:52 PM
in reply to: #1932295

User image

Expert
jpjewels - 2009-01-27 5:46 PM

Hey

with all this talk of musselman I just looked the race up on the web. Now I know it is about as far away from me as I could find but maybe I could bring the family up for a vacation and combine that with the race. Would any of you know a good family orientated place we could stay if I were to come up

The Finger Lakes region is a beautiful part of NY State, but to be honest I'm not that familiar with the area.

Anthony

2009-01-27 6:57 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Julian- I am originally from that part of NY.  My family has had a cottage on Seneca Lake since I was6.  It is one of my favorite places to be.  There are a zillion winerys along the lake (37miles long), there is a lot to do if you look for it.  The Mussleman is in Geneva, at the oposite end is Watkins Glenn- there is a great gorge to hike, nice state park etc...  within an hour or 2 there is also more historical stuff.  You can rent a house on the lake pretty cheap (compared to california prices).  The lake is great for swimming, boating, fishing. RELAXING!! etc...I can have my dad do a little investigation with some rental companies if you are interested.  How cool would it be for some random people from a website get together and race? Congrats on your new bike. BIke's direct worked well for me!!  I named mine Moto because its a Motobecane, pretty original eh?LOL

Thanks all for your kind words of my dedication in the early morning- I have to be at work by 7 or 7:30 and live a half hour away so its before dawn or not at all!  Somedays I wish it was not at all!This group ROCKS!!!

Paula

2009-01-27 8:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Central New York

Julian, I second Paula's raves about the Finger Lakes Region.  I live very close (about an hour north), and my in-laws have a camp on Cayuga Lake.  (Part of the Musselman bike goes along the shore of Cayuga Lake as well.)  It is absolutely stunning, and tons of things to do with the fam.  It's really close to Ithaca, and there are a lot of great things for families including a fantastic kids science museum (although, my husband, the engineer, enjoyed it just as much as the boys.) There are a lot of waterfalls and great hiking all over the region as well.

Are you convinced yet?  Actually, I'm just really proud to live in such a great place.  It would be awesome if all of could cheer each other in person!

2009-01-28 10:20 AM

User image

Expert

Boy, Paula and Kelly really did a great job of describing the Finger Lakes region! They are absolutely right, it really is beautiful.

We are having a snowy day today so my office is closed, but I will go in a little later to take care of some paperwork. I was able to catch up on some sleep and actually stayed in bed until 8 AM. WOO-HOO!!

I did a short half hour ride on the trainer this morning. I was not really motivated, and a thought about training occurred to me. The first ten minutes of any workout can be the hardest, both physically and mentally. After 10 minutes or so your body is warm and performing more smoothly, so everything looks and feels better. So, if you ever feel like you are not up for a scheduled workout, try to give it 10 minutes at least and see if your motivation returns.

I'm off to shovel the driveway

Anthony

2009-01-28 7:08 PM

User image

Wilmington NC

Sorry you guys have to shovel!  It was near 70 today!  Fear not, we will be back in the low 40's by the end of the week.  Still a heat wave for you, but chilly for us.

I like your theory of training.  You are exactly right, the first 10 min is the hardest.  The question "Why" comes up often- Why am I doing this?  Why does this hurt?Why are people looking at me funny? etc... 

Stay warm you yankees!!!

Paula

2009-01-29 9:55 AM
in reply to: #1934578

User image

Expert
Roadtoad22 - 2009-01-28 8:08 PM

Sorry you guys have to shovel!  It was near 70 today!  Fear not, we will be back in the low 40's by the end of the week.  Still a heat wave for you, but chilly for us.

40's sounds nice right about now. It will start getting warm again. Someday...

I like your theory of training.  You are exactly right, the first 10 min is the hardest.  The question "Why" comes up often- Why am I doing this?  Why does this hurt?Why are people looking at me funny? etc... 

I get those "whys" sometimes also. I also get a lot of days like today when I felt GREAT right from the start. I don't mind so much if my neighbors look at me funny because I figure this way they will leave me alone and not try to borrrow my tools and stuff

Stay warm you yankees!!!

I'm trying!!

Anthony

2009-01-29 10:26 AM

User image

Expert

I didn't think I was going to be able to, but I managed to get in my planned run for today. Plan called for 7 miles w/ 5 miles "tempo" @8:35/mile. Woke up about 5 so I could run at 5:30, but my driveway and street were covered with ice. Did not want to run on slippery streets in the dark, so I figured I would wait until it got light, do my 3 mile run from tomorrow, then do the 7 miles tomorrow. Not ideal, but you have to be flexible. Turns out school was delayed 2 hours, so that gave me some extra time. Started out figuring if it's real slippery I'll just do 3. Close to my house it was just ice, but once I got to the "main" roads, they were still slippery, but I decided to go for it because I was feeling really good.

I am very happy now, because I stayed on the plan and got in a good workout. I didn't quite make the pace goal because I was sliding a little, but it was one of those days when I felt even better than usual being out there running.

Hope you all are having as good a day as me!!

Anthony

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Amschrod's Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 22