BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2009-01-20 9:37 AM
in reply to: #1917840

Regular
Subject: RE: Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners!
karen26.2 - 2009-01-20 10:22 AM

colewarren - 2009-01-20 8:20 AM

I called my brother during the marathon to let him know my long for the week was 26+ miles and to ask him what his long run for the week was.

Nice!!! Way to psych him out!!! What did he say?

I had to leave the message on his voicemail, but he later sent me a text that said congratulations. He didn't say anything else, but I know he is training. I can almost hear his footsteps.

2009-01-20 10:20 AM
in reply to: #1915014

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-01-18 12:02 PM

Haha - crowded lanes good practice for the race. Good one...

I do have some questions about the site. I have been logging my workouts, I think I have that down pretty good. But is that the same as your blog? I get confused when I read about having to use your blog, unless it's the same as the training log.

And is there a way to filter the forum to see only threads I'm interesting in following, but then still be able to look at all of them? For instance, I like the mentor thread obviously, and the Georgia thread, and a couple of others. How do I see just active threads I'm following?

One last question, how do you feel about training by your heart rate? I have never done it, but wonder if I should be more aware of my heartrate and training.

Hi Karen,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Your training log is your blog. It is the place where you can log your goals, workouts etc. Same-same. The easiest way to filter links is to actually put a link on your blog page. People usually paste the link onto their goals section at the top of the page so its always there.

As far as the heart rate training I feel it is like a lot of things. It is a tool to have in your bag and when you are ready pull it out and use it. I trained all last year with no HRM and did okay for my first year. I honestly still don't use one but I also know where my levels of heart rate are by my PRE (perceived rate of exertion). I do use the HRM to test my accuracy in PRE about once a month. I have also gone in and had my heart rate and anaerobic threshold tested so I know my approximate zones.

So all that to say absolutely you should be aware of your zones. An all out effort everytime you go out is not the best way to train. Your body needs to learn to adapt to DIFFERENT kinds of stress not just a lot of stress. How you track your zones however is up to you. A HRM definately has its benefits simply because of its accuracy if nothing else. Like every training tool however I don't think they are for everyone nor do I think they are a have to have item. I also believe in the importance of knowing your body and how it performs without mechanical devices, which only seem to fail when i really need them.

Now if they came up with a HRM that simply spoke words of wisdom to me as I exercised that would be great. I would love a HRM that said simply "WOULD YOU MOVE IT ALREADY!! SHEEESH"
2009-01-20 10:25 AM
in reply to: #1857812

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Congrats to Brian and Cole for completing their marathons. Nice work. Another accomplishment under the perverbial belt.

Question for this week: How do you think about your goals? Do you set long term and short term? WHat about weekly? Do you use goals at all? Do you have rewards for reaching your goals?

Have a great week everyone! Happy training

ANy other questions floating out there? Karen asked about Heart rate monitors. Would anyone like some zone specific info?
2009-01-20 11:27 AM

Regular
I use a heart rate monitor to train. I was not able to use it on long runs because it rubbed my skin off. However, I have found it to be very helpful because my perceived exertion is not always accurate. I tend to push myself too hard without realizing it fast enough. I also found it helpful because I realized how much harder my heart had to work in the heat. Like Scott said, you shouldn't work at an all out effort all the time. I found the monitor very helpful. I don't have to use it all the time, but I still like to check out how hard my heart is pumping.

Goals...I like to have events to train for. It just makes exercise more fun. Each event has a different training plan. I just follow the plan I've made, but I guess the plan is nothing more than a goal.
2009-01-21 6:24 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Goals - I have many!

I have daily goals to get some kind of exercise in, even if it's a short walk. I had short term goals to lose weight, train for whatever race is coming up, etc. I have to have a race on the calendar to keep me motivated to get out there and workout. I'm very good at following a structured plan for training. It keeps me more accountable.

I guess I've always had goals set for myself in my life and that's what keeps me going everyday.

Right now my biggest goal is getting my 18 year old son through his last year of high school and into college. I'm fairly certain it's a goal of his too!
2009-01-21 3:37 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Goals are great for motivation and that's how I use them also. I also have a fairly full schedule of races through the year just so I can keep motivated to do well for that event. One of the reasons I got into triathlon originally is that IO can't workout just to workout. I have to have a reason and goal. With triathlon its pretty easy to have a race each month for a goal (Or 5k, marathon, duathlon...pick your poison)

2009-01-21 5:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Belleville

I have lots of goals short term and long term. I don't have any rewards. Not even sure what they would be? I think the reqard is the development I am getting and weight loss that is enough.

Ray

2009-01-21 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
One of the rewards for you might just be that the more weight you lose the better you feel. I have lost around 60-70 depending on the day and ice cream in the freezer and my back, knees and ankles hurt so much less now than they did. Its good stuff and is very motivating in keeping it off.

Are you feeling better?

Edited by holt1997 2009-01-21 5:22 PM
2009-01-23 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Goldsboro, NC
Hello everyone...been sick this week...not much training at all...starting back today!
2009-01-23 1:42 PM
in reply to: #1925056

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
atostig - 2009-01-23 12:27 PM

Hello everyone...been sick this week...not much training at all...starting back today!

Glad your back! Everyone at my work and been really sick with strep, bronchitis, and who knows what else. I'm trying to avoid them as much as I can.
2009-01-23 4:17 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Stinks being sick. Glad your feeling better!

How was everyone's week? How is training going. What successes did you have?

2009-01-23 5:19 PM

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

was sick as well, GI bug coming out the front, not the back like my kids, poor kids,they had it front and back.

took a few days off to recover, started today, a little rough in the beginning.

for the question of the week, I find goal setting very difficult. If I do not have a contest or in this case a race, I find it hard to stay consistent. If nothing is planned I am not as consistent, nor do I train as hard(maybe that is a good thing). I am trying to teach myself to exercise for health and not always for a race or contest, it is going to be a slow process, hard to change overnight.

I got the ok from the cardiologist to proceed with my first tri, which is on 4/19 a sprint,

had a recent stress test passed with flying colors, holter monitor results from a hour and a half bike ride at a good pace was normal, I am very excited about this, just thought I would share this.

Also for my recent good news my wife got me a new tri bike, was very surprised she did this,

could'nt ask for a better wife(even if I did not get the bike).

Have a great weekend everyone

Jeff

2009-01-23 6:33 PM
in reply to: #1925966

Regular
holt1997 - 2009-01-23 5:17 PM

My week seems to have been like many others. I have a sinus infection and was not very motivated to work out. We also had snow, which shuts everything down here in the south. School was out for two days, so my boys were home.

I have learned that it doesn't take much to get me to ride my bike, but I really need motivation to do other things. I only have 10 weeks before my brother gets here (great motivation). I will definitely get serious about training next week. It will be easier without the sinus trouble.

My question is this....many of you are trying to lose weight; how's that going?
2009-01-23 9:23 PM
in reply to: #1917999

User image

Subject: RE: Goals and HRM

Hi Everyone,

Getting ready for Chinese New Year Here in Taiwan. It starts on Sunday night with a big "feast" with friends and family and ends on Friday so we have 9 days holiday.

Goals:

I am trying to keep my goal of training for an hour a day for 6 days a week. In the past I have not been very good at this so I decided to take it a day at a time. This is my goal for January. I have found it helpful to exercise with my son as he needs the addtion workouts too.

For Feb, repeat the above

Longer term, I would love to be able to complete an Olympic tri and then in August when I go to see my folks and brother in Calgary, Alberta, I am 'dreaming' of doing the 70.3 there.I know that this is really a long shot, just renting a bike there would be a major mission.(any advice?)

HRM:

8 months ago, I bought a Polar 625 with footpod and speed/cadence metres. Essentially, I just like gagets, but I do like to know that I am not pushing myself too hard and I have noticed that I can run for longer if I keep my heart rate below a certain limit.

Have a good weekend and a great week and thanks for encouraging messages.

Keep well,

Justin

Taipei 

2009-01-23 11:05 PM
in reply to: #1926077

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
spinepa - 2009-01-23 3:19 PM

was sick as well, GI bug coming out the front, not the back like my kids, poor kids,they had it front and back.

took a few days off to recover, started today, a little rough in the beginning.

for the question of the week, I find goal setting very difficult. If I do not have a contest or in this case a race, I find it hard to stay consistent. If nothing is planned I am not as consistent, nor do I train as hard(maybe that is a good thing). I am trying to teach myself to exercise for health and not always for a race or contest, it is going to be a slow process, hard to change overnight.

I got the ok from the cardiologist to proceed with my first tri, which is on 4/19 a sprint,

had a recent stress test passed with flying colors, holter monitor results from a hour and a half bike ride at a good pace was normal, I am very excited about this, just thought I would share this.

Also for my recent good news my wife got me a new tri bike, was very surprised she did this,

could'nt ask for a better wife(even if I did not get the bike).

Have a great weekend everyone

Jeff

Well first, glad you're feeling better. This bug has knocked a lot of people down and it seems like longer than the standard 24hours. That is great your tests went well. What a huge relief for you. So what kind of bike did you get??

Changing habits is not easy and good for you for sticking with it. Sounds like 4/19 is your goal.
2009-01-23 11:10 PM
in reply to: #1926356

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Subject: RE: Goals and HRM
jtdintaipei - 2009-01-23 7:23 PM

Hi Everyone,

Getting ready for Chinese New Year Here in Taiwan. It starts on Sunday night with a big "feast" with friends and family and ends on Friday so we have 9 days holiday.

Goals:

I am trying to keep my goal of training for an hour a day for 6 days a week. In the past I have not been very good at this so I decided to take it a day at a time. This is my goal for January. I have found it helpful to exercise with my son as he needs the addtion workouts too.

For Feb, repeat the above

Longer term, I would love to be able to complete an Olympic tri and then in August when I go to see my folks and brother in Calgary, Alberta, I am 'dreaming' of doing the 70.3 there.I know that this is really a long shot, just renting a bike there would be a major mission.(any advice?)

HRM:

8 months ago, I bought a Polar 625 with footpod and speed/cadence metres. Essentially, I just like gagets, but I do like to know that I am not pushing myself too hard and I have noticed that I can run for longer if I keep my heart rate below a certain limit.

Have a good weekend and a great week and thanks for encouraging messages.

Keep well,

Justin

Taipei 

Justin,

If you can do an hour a day for 6 days a week that is really good. It is enough that you can feel a real difference in your fitness. Keep it up.

2009-01-24 7:41 AM
in reply to: #1926172

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
colewarren - 2009-01-23 7:33 PM

My week seems to have been like many others. I have a sinus infection and was not very motivated to work out. We also had snow, which shuts everything down here in the south. School was out for two days, so my boys were home.

I have learned that it doesn't take much to get me to ride my bike, but I really need motivation to do other things. I only have 10 weeks before my brother gets here (great motivation). I will definitely get serious about training next week. It will be easier without the sinus trouble.

Cole - get out there and train hard so you can beat your brother!! I'm rooting for you!

I bike and run with my older brother whenever I go back to No Cal to see family. We don't race or anything, neither one of us are super competitive, but he always gets to the top of the trail first, top of the mountain first... and it kind of irritates me when I'm the one training all the time and he can take months off and still kick my butt!

On the losing weight, I have lost 4 pounds since Jan. 1. Still have about 20 to go. I made an appointment for next week to see a sports nutritionist. I know what to eat, I just struggle with how many calories a day I should get so I can lose the 20 pounds, keep it off, and still have energy to train. That and hydration - I am always getting cramps in my calves, feet and toes in the middle of the night, and I'm hoping I can get some good advice on how to eliminate that.
2009-01-24 6:59 PM
in reply to: #1926426

Regular
schuylkill haven, pa

Thanks Scott, yes a big relief, physically doing well, on occasion the mental part lapses. But the cardiologist said this is normal for the first year.

Yes April 19th is my current goal, very excited and very nervous.

The bike is a Cervelo p2sl, it was a left over 2006 and she got it for half price, she can wheel and deal with the best of them.

Have a great weekend

Jeff

2009-01-25 2:20 PM
in reply to: #1926564

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-01-24 5:41 AM

colewarren - 2009-01-23 7:33 PM

Cole - get out there and train hard so you can beat your brother!! I'm rooting for you!

I bike and run with my older brother whenever I go back to No Cal to see family. We don't race or anything, neither one of us are super competitive, but he always gets to the top of the trail first, top of the mountain first... and it kind of irritates me when I'm the one training all the time and he can take months off and still kick my butt!

On the losing weight, I have lost 4 pounds since Jan. 1. Still have about 20 to go. I made an appointment for next week to see a sports nutritionist. I know what to eat, I just struggle with how many calories a day I should get so I can lose the 20 pounds, keep it off, and still have energy to train. That and hydration - I am always getting cramps in my calves, feet and toes in the middle of the night, and I'm hoping I can get some good advice on how to eliminate that.

Hi Karen,

You might try potassium. A deficiency in this will give muscle cramps like you are describing. Try eating bananas.

One thing I might recommend to everyone is to find a really good recovery drink. (I prefer ultragen but thats just my preference) 30 minutes after your workout is a critical window for rebuilding and taking full advantage of the workout you just finished. Most recovery drinks also have enough vitamins and minerals in addition that I notice I don't get sick as often when I am drinking it. Nutrition is definately something I struggle with but this is something I have found that works well for me.
2009-01-25 7:21 PM
in reply to: #1921098

User image

Veteran
Belleville

holt1997 - 2009-01-21 6:21 PM One of the rewards for you might just be that the more weight you lose the better you feel. I have lost around 60-70 depending on the day and ice cream in the freezer and my back, knees and ankles hurt so much less now than they did. Its good stuff and is very motivating in keeping it off. Are you feeling better?

Yes, I agree. The body improvements is enough motivation for me so I guess that is my direct reward. I guess I was thinking more rewards people put up for themselves. Thanks, I am feeling better. Sorry I was a little AWOL last week. A combo of everything getting me at once I think. Work, feeling a little flu, winter duldrums (sp?), but this is the first day I really felt better. Got in the gym and really went at it today.

Guess I wasn't the only one struggling from what it sounds. Glad to hear everyone else is doing better too.

Edited by moves327 2009-01-25 7:24 PM
2009-01-26 7:22 AM

Regular
I read an article this weekend that claims Yoga helps improve your triathlon results. I was wondering if any of you have tried it. I have started taking a class once or twice a week at my gym. The instructors are always 98 lbs and very flexible. I am neither. I have even dragged my husband (and favorite exercise buddy) with me. We aren't able to do everything the instructor does, but I have felt better afterward. I am not dilligent about stretching after every workout, and I find the class to help me make up for that. I did some of the things I learned before the marathon, and I think they really helped me. If you have an opportunity to try it, I suggest you take it. Let me know what you think.

2009-01-26 7:55 AM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
I am probably the least flexible person ever. I used to take a power yoga class when I was living in So Cal that was great. I noticed a huge improvement in my flexibility. It also helped with my running. My hamstrings were always so tight, but the yoga really helped with chronic hamstring pain. I also noticed I had a better range of motion running, and wasn't always just shuffling along. I need to start up again, just need to find the time.

I think you will be happy with the results. Don't worry about how bend-able everyone else is, just do what you can and you will see improvements if you keep at it.
2009-01-27 4:32 PM
in reply to: #1928694

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
karen26.2 - 2009-01-26 5:55 AM

I am probably the least flexible person ever. I used to take a power yoga class when I was living in So Cal that was great. I noticed a huge improvement in my flexibility. It also helped with my running. My hamstrings were always so tight, but the yoga really helped with chronic hamstring pain. I also noticed I had a better range of motion running, and wasn't always just shuffling along. I need to start up again, just need to find the time.

I think you will be happy with the results. Don't worry about how bend-able everyone else is, just do what you can and you will see improvements if you keep at it.

Yoga is awesome exercise. My problem (or excuse if we want to be honest) is that I have to prioritize exercise. I usually do the three first (swim, bike or run) If I have time I try to fit in two of them in one day, Then if I have time I add in other things. Yoga would be awesome amd I would think prevent injury simply by making muscles more flexible. I think it also good because it doesn't add bulk. Good stuff. Wish I had time. I touched my toes once...it wasn't pretty!
2009-01-27 4:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
How are peoples workouts going? Feel any changes or overcome any obstacles over the last week or two. Any mile markers we should all know about?
2009-01-27 6:40 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Workouts are going well - still not finding the time to swim though. I might have to switch gyms, there's one I've been thinking of joining that is open 24/7. I could swim @ 2am when all normal people are sleeping!!

About priortizing - I couldn't agree more. I tend to choose running first (trying to burn as many calories as I can) biking next, and swim is obviously last. Yoga / Strength Training / Plyometrics - where can I fit all that in??? I seriously need to become a personal trainer so I can exercise for a living.

What's everyone else up to?

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Come fly with me!- Closed again with a bunch of winners! Rss Feed  

of 19