BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2009-04-20 9:19 AM
in reply to: #2096715

Subject: RE: Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training)

steph94483 - 2009-04-20 10:05 AM Good morning everyone.

You are now speaking to an official TRIATHLETE!!!!! The race was great, and I felt pretty good the whole time.  I'm swamped at work, and my sister just had a baby. Hopefully I can fully report tonight.

Chrissy, I'm sorry your race sucked! I'm sure the rest of the season will rock!

Congrats, triathlete!! Looking forward to your race report! It's always fun to fill one out and post it so everyone can see it (after you fill it out and save it, it will ask you to make it public - that will publish it in the Race Report section of the forums).

2009-04-20 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2068561

User image

Regular
Chrissy,

Sorry your bike/swim weren't how you wanted them to be.  The rest will all be better!!

Stephanie,

Congrats on becoming a TRIATHLETE!  Can't wait to see your results! 

2009-04-20 10:45 AM

All right, race report is posted. My overall run pace was better than I had thought, but my position in the run was weak. And I really screwed up what would have been a decent bike time. Arg. Made the top 50 in the swim, though.

2009-04-20 11:52 AM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Stephanie- congrats on the race, look forward to reading the report.
Chrissy- First race of the year is down, they will just get better from here

My weekend wasn't as productive as I had hoped, but I still managed to get some biking in on Sunday. I did repeats of a hill that is very similar to the one on my race in a couple of weeks (the one that kicked my azz last year). I am happy to say that I was able to do it multiple times without stopping, even if it was achingly slow.
2009-04-20 12:07 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hey everyone i hope that we all had a great training weekend. i got a bike ride in on saturday afternoon, but it was a blazing 92 at 4pm. so it was a leisurely ride with just a few rollers for the legs.
sunday was spent at the beach with my family, and it was a balmy 82 in malibu.
but this morning i found out that i went from being on a waiting list for this bike ride here in los angeles-to being able to register...it is called the Breathless Agony-114 miles with 1200 ft of climbing. yes i am a glutton for punishment. so i have until wednesday to signup, and yes i am giving it a lot of thought. i think i will go ride a few hills this evening and sleep on it.
i hope everyone has a great monday.
2009-04-20 12:11 PM

Sounds like you guys had some productive weekends. 92 is HOT for cycling. Though if it's not humid, it's not as bad. Here in DC, it's always humid in the summer, so I will ride/run early, early in the morning, or at least go after work as the sun is going down.

2009-04-20 3:51 PM

User image

Hey all!  Congratulations Steph & Chrissy!  Steph, I'm glad your race went so well!!  Chrissy, sorry you were disappointed, but as everyone has already said so well, the rest will rock!

I am dragging, got in a short bike ride Sat, but still wasn't feeling well; our older son got sick yesterday, has a double ear infection; then I tried to get to dr. yest since my lungs are bad, but couldn't get in til today...I have bronchitis, and spent afternoon sleeping, without much hope for any workouts tomorrow either Frown  I'm a little nervous because my race is June 7, and that seems awfully close with how crappy i"m feeling...

wplummer, you are amazing that you can even consider doing a race like you are after your surgery!!  That's great!!
2009-04-20 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2098023

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-20 4:51 PM Hey all!  Congratulations Steph & Chrissy!  Steph, I'm glad your race went so well!!  Chrissy, sorry you were disappointed, but as everyone has already said so well, the rest will rock!

I am dragging, got in a short bike ride Sat, but still wasn't feeling well; our older son got sick yesterday, has a double ear infection; then I tried to get to dr. yest since my lungs are bad, but couldn't get in til today...I have bronchitis, and spent afternoon sleeping, without much hope for any workouts tomorrow either Frown  I'm a little nervous because my race is June 7, and that seems awfully close with how crappy i"m feeling...

wplummer, you are amazing that you can even consider doing a race like you are after your surgery!!  That's great!!

Eek, sorry to hear that you're feeling yucky. Get some rest and clear up the bronchitis asap, so you can get back to training Just take it easy at first if you're still feeling a bit off. No reason to push it and prolong the illness.

2009-04-20 5:06 PM
in reply to: #2098023

User image

Regular
kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-20 3:51 PM Hey all!  Congratulations Steph & Chrissy!  Steph, I'm glad your race went so well!!  Chrissy, sorry you were disappointed, but as everyone has already said so well, the rest will rock!

Rest!
I was sick as a dog last month b/c I got sick and didnt stop working out and rest.  If I had rested 4-5 days I would probably have been well.  Instead I missed 2 weeks.  Take it easy so you get well!

wplummer, that sounds like bike torture.
2009-04-20 5:46 PM

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
Hey guys, the race report is up with pictures.  Cool  
2009-04-20 6:31 PM

User image

Great photo Steph!!  I can't wait to read the race report!! 

Thanks for the advice!  I definitely realize that it is time to rest & get over this dumb thing so I can be healthy and then get back to training!!  I hear ya Chrissy about taking it slow at first to get back into gear!  Thanks again!

2009-04-20 6:34 PM
in reply to: #2098308

steph94483 - 2009-04-20 6:46 PM Hey guys, the race report is up with pictures.  Cool  
Great job! Sounds like you had a blast - so I'm assuming you are hooked It's pretty much inevitable. My first race was HORRIBLE, after T1, and I still wanted to do another one! I've only ever met one person who did one and never wanted to do one again.

2009-04-20 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2098408

kmbhoya2000 - 2009-04-20 7:31 PM Great photo Steph!!  I can't wait to read the race report!! 

Thanks for the advice!  I definitely realize that it is time to rest & get over this dumb thing so I can be healthy and then get back to training!!  I hear ya Chrissy about taking it slow at first to get back into gear!  Thanks again!

Sounds like a plan! I had bronchitis back in high school - it sucked. I never get sick and I was out of school for a couple of days.

Regarding your bike (I saw your inspire) - yeah, sounds like you have a commuter/hybrid bike. One thing you might consider doing is putting slicks on your wheels - instead of knobbly tires, put on smooth ones. That will help get you a little bit of speed, even with the heavier frame and more upright geometry of a bike like that. Just take your front wheel to the bike shop and they will be able to help you out

A general tip, esp. if there are those of you who don't know a ton about bike maintenance - keeping your tires pumped up will give you a smoother, faster ride. If you are feeling like you're dragging a bit and you haven't pumped your tires in awhile - do so Most road tires are rated up to 120 psi (check your tire - it will be written on the rubber). In severe heat, if the bike is going to be sitting (like in transition), don't pump them up so high - 105 or 110. Hot air expands, and if they are pumped up to capacity, they may pop. Not fun to come up to T1 to find out you have a flat tire.

2009-04-20 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2098418

User image

Regular
Oklahoma City
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-20 6:34 PM

steph94483 - 2009-04-20 6:46 PM Hey guys, the race report is up with pictures.  Cool  
Great job! Sounds like you had a blast - so I'm assuming you are hooked It's pretty much inevitable. My first race was HORRIBLE, after T1, and I still wanted to do another one! I've only ever met one person who did one and never wanted to do one again.

Totally hooked! The whole time I was thinking how cool it was. I have never been an "athlete", so the whole experience was just fantastic.
2009-04-21 8:23 AM

Morning, folks - what's on tap today? 40' bike for me, and swim practice. What's the next race for everyone? I've got a half-marathon on the 10th of May, and then another sprint on the 31st - one I did last year.

2009-04-21 11:32 AM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone,
I am making today my day off because I was a victim of a nice cozy empty bed and a snuggly cat this AM.  My husband is out of town and I had the whole bed to myself (well, the cat and I did) so when my alarm went off at 4:30 I had no desire to go to spin.  I can't go tonight cause I am taking someone out to eat for their b-day, so I am moving my day off to today and will get the bike and pilates in later this week (I may sneak the pilates in when I get home if I am home early enough, but I am not going to take my bike out at night while my hubby's gone).

SO, I wimped out.  I do have a question though.  Based on all the reading about running, I know I am running wrong.  I bought the book Chi Running over the weekend and am pouring through it.  Has anyone you know or have you used this technique?  I found a chi running coach that is $50 an hour, but if it means less risk of injury since I am fairly certain now that I run wrong, do you think the $50 is a good investment?  If I do that it may mean I can't get my pedals for my bike so I would do the first tri with regular old pedals... or the strap kind of clips instead of fancy shoes and clip ins (I am on a budget) but when I run I feel it so much that I am wondering if it isnt better for me to spend my $$$ on a running coach and training instead of pedals.

Input???

2009-04-21 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2099900

amkaz - 2009-04-21 12:32 PM Hi everyone,
I am making today my day off because I was a victim of a nice cozy empty bed and a snuggly cat this AM.  My husband is out of town and I had the whole bed to myself (well, the cat and I did) so when my alarm went off at 4:30 I had no desire to go to spin.  I can't go tonight cause I am taking someone out to eat for their b-day, so I am moving my day off to today and will get the bike and pilates in later this week (I may sneak the pilates in when I get home if I am home early enough, but I am not going to take my bike out at night while my hubby's gone).

SO, I wimped out.  I do have a question though.  Based on all the reading about running, I know I am running wrong.  I bought the book Chi Running over the weekend and am pouring through it.  Has anyone you know or have you used this technique?  I found a chi running coach that is $50 an hour, but if it means less risk of injury since I am fairly certain now that I run wrong, do you think the $50 is a good investment?  If I do that it may mean I can't get my pedals for my bike so I would do the first tri with regular old pedals... or the strap kind of clips instead of fancy shoes and clip ins (I am on a budget) but when I run I feel it so much that I am wondering if it isnt better for me to spend my $$$ on a running coach and training instead of pedals.

Input???

Spend your money on the clipless pedals first. Best investment you can make, imho.

I don't know much about Chi Running specifically, but I know a lot of folks on BT have used it and have had success. I will look through the old threads to see what it's all about (and you can too, if you have time), but first, let me ask - what makes you think you are running wrong? What do you think you are doing wrong?

Are there any running stores around you that have weeknight fun runs? Perhaps you could attend one and get some pointers from other folks in the group - it'd be cheaper than a $50/hr running coach. Esp. since Chi Running is only one kind of technique. As I mentioned before - there are definite things that are wrong across the board, but aside from that, "correct" running form is sort of an individual thing.

2009-04-21 12:12 PM

All right - did a little bit of research on the Chi Running thing. Looks like it's just one of many books out there that advocate mid/forefoot strike and argue AGAINST heel striking. Remember the earlier posts that I wrote - heel striking is not inherently bad. What is bad is your foot strike landing outside your center of gravity, ie, too far forward - this is one of those universal "bad" things, not where the foot strikes in and of itself. Everyone's footstrike is different - adapting to better running technique (ie, not overstriding, bringing your knee up, getting a good push-off behind you) MAY change your footstrike, but it might not. Make sense?

2009-04-21 12:23 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
slightly changing subject

I just booked my first spin class for an hours time. anything i should watch out for etc?

Ps, thanks for all the advice Chrissy
2009-04-21 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2100054

SteveyD - 2009-04-21 1:23 PM slightly changing subject

I just booked my first spin class for an hours time. anything i should watch out for etc?

Ps, thanks for all the advice Chrissy

There are varying schools of thought regarding spin class. It's a good cardio workout, no questions asked. But it's impact on cycling on the road may not be very beneficial. At least, that's what most triathletes say. I know a few roadies who like it for conditioning during the winter on weekday evenings when it's too dark to ride outside. But they are super-strong and usually get out on the weekends, as well, and once it's light out, they're always outside.

Also, many spin class instructors ask you to do a lot of stuff that you wouldn't do out on the bike - like all the up-and-down sitting and standing stuff, or super-fast spinning, so much so that their butts bounce off the seat - the latter is particularly BAD form. You never want to be spinning so fast that your butt bounces around. Similarly, the spin bike helps you cheat a bit, by giving you momentum - if you want to know what I'm talking about, try doing single leg drills on a spin bike, then go do them sitting on your bike hooked up to a trainer (if you have one). It's much easier on the spin bike.

In order from least effective to most effective, it goes spin class, bike trainer, bike out on the road. By a bike trainer, I do not mean a stationary bike. A bike trainer is a little metal triangular thing that holds your back wheel's skewer, while the tire rests on a flywheel. It's meant to try to simulate riding on the road - though I am finding that even after a winter spent on the trainer, I'm not much better for it. BUt in the winter, when it's dark, or in poor weather conditions, I don't have much of a choice, os it's certainly better than nothing.

For now, though - enjoy your spin class. One thing I would suggest, after looking at your logs, is to try to get your bike out and really RIDE it more often - not just leisurely cruise around town. I think it's great that you use your bike as your mode of transpotation, and for a newbie, time in the saddle, any time at all, is key. However, if you only ever cruise around for 2-5 miles at a time, you won't be able to improve for real bike racing.

2009-04-21 12:47 PM

User image

Expert
Cambridge
yeah have had a bit of a bad time with bikes getting knackered and the like. I have now got a bike ish thats decent enough, i only took it out totday to test it and to find out that the seat was in laymans termed, fecked (the boltsw eren't tight enough and it kept falling backwards)
I am planning to go out on a 15 mile round trip out to a sports shop because i need a bike helmet for sure, and because its cheap. I also intend to do about the same on thursday to cricket practise and back instead of the bus like my housemates will take. last couple of days i have slacked a bit because of sport has uterly destroyed me physically.
Once i get the wheels trued the bike will be ready to burn some serious rubber

2009-04-21 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
hello and happy tuesday to everyone. it is nice to be able to go out at 6am for a bike ride, take my daughter to school, have coffee with my wife, and be at work by 9:30am. i hope everyone is well and happy today. i was hoping for a swim tonite, but we have hockey tonite at the arena.
2009-04-21 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2100326

wplummer - 2009-04-21 2:31 PM hello and happy tuesday to everyone. it is nice to be able to go out at 6am for a bike ride, take my daughter to school, have coffee with my wife, and be at work by 9:30am. i hope everyone is well and happy today. i was hoping for a swim tonite, but we have hockey tonite at the arena.

Hello! Nice job getting thebike out so early this morning! How is the knee feeling?

2009-04-21 1:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Near Lake Tahoe, NV
Last couple of days have been tough with two sick kids and again ate into my training yesterday. I am going to try to get to the pool today and makeup my missed swim from yesterday. Then do the scheduled brick tonight.

My first race of the year is next Saturday so I don't want to be missing any more training. I am getting pretty exciting as it involves some travel and camping and is an all around good time.
2009-04-21 1:49 PM
in reply to: #2100332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Glendora, CA
wurkit_gurl - 2009-04-21 11:33 AM

Hello! Nice job getting thebike out so early this morning! How is the knee feeling?

actually the knee is doing ok. no major setbacks so far. i know that running is a couple of months down the line. thats why i am trying to get back into the rhythm of early morning workouts. it has been a long couple of months, but there is considerable less pain than prior to surgery.
nice RR chrissy.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wurkit_Gurl's Group - CLOSED (sssh...we're training) Rss Feed  

of 29