Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 18

2009-05-09 5:16 AM
in reply to: #2070143

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
Subject: RE: Prof40's group CLOSED
Well, my confession is simply this: I did not run at all this week. Not even sure how that happened!

2009-05-09 6:00 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
I did my mock triathlon--26.1 mile bike, 6.9 mile run, 1500 meter swim--in that order. I couldn't get a lane at the pool so I had to wait, so I had too much time between the run/swim. So, really I did a bike/run brick with a swim tacked on a bit later. I was 3 hours so if I double that for my 70.3 I'll make my ideal goal of 6 hours August 2. 

You should have seen my bike/run transition. It was cold so I was wearing tights. I couldn't get the tights over my feet and my legs were like rubber and  my wife was laughing at me and then asked if it wouldn't be better if I unzipped them. I need a lot of work on the transition--this was my first try at it and it was a nightmare.

I did my three run challenge.

Edited by gplitt 2009-05-11 10:45 AM
2009-05-09 6:31 PM
in reply to: #2140834

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-05-09 7:00 PM I did my mock triathlon--26.1 mile bike, 6.9 mile run, 1500 meter swim--in that order. I couldn't get a lane at the pool so I had to wait, so I had too much time between the run/swim. So, really I did a bike/run brick with a swim tacked on a bit later. I was 3 hours so if I double that for my 70.3 I'll make my ideal goal of 6 hours August 2. 

You should have seen my bike/run transition. It was cold so I was wearing tights. I couldn't get the tights over my feet and my legs were like rubber and  my wife was laughing at me and then asked if it wouldn't be better if I unipped them. I need a lot of work on the transition--this was my first try at it and it was a nightmare.

Congrats are in order for your achievements, both for the 3 runs and for your practice triathlon. Nice  job.

Tell me again -- which 70.3 are you doing in August?
2009-05-10 4:23 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
David--I'm doing Trioka 70.3, Spokane, Washington, August 2. I might also do Cam Sur, Philippines August 23 with my friend who's there. That's a 70.3 official Ironman qualifier event. Right now it's just talk. Can I recover from a 70.3 and do another one 3 weeks later or is that crazy? 

How did you all do on our challenge?

Edited by gplitt 2009-05-10 4:24 PM
2009-05-10 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2141771

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-05-10 5:23 PM David--I'm doing Trioka 70.3, Spokane, Washington, August 2. I might also do Cam Sur, Philippines August 23 with my friend who's there. That's a 70.3 official Ironman qualifier event. Right now it's just talk. Can I recover from a 70.3 and do another one 3 weeks later or is that crazy? 

How did you all do on our challenge?

It's probably crazy, but I'm thinking about making the same attempt. Providence is on July 12, and Steelhead is on August 1. I'm intrigued by the possibility.

I failed the challenge. I had good intentions, but a horrible work week. However, this next week is light, so I'm hoping to make up for some lost time.

I had a great run this afternoon. It was short, but I just felt good to be outside in the sun. I hope everyone had just as good a Sunday.

I need to add some weight-lifting to my schedule. What's everyone do, and do you think it helps?

2009-05-11 5:28 AM
in reply to: #2140834

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-05-09 7:00 PM I did my mock triathlon--26.1 mile bike, 6.9 mile run, 1500 meter swim--in that order. I couldn't get a lane at the pool so I had to wait, so I had too much time between the run/swim. So, really I did a bike/run brick with a swim tacked on a bit later. I was 3 hours so if I double that for my 70.3 I'll make my ideal goal of 6 hours August 2. 

You should have seen my bike/run transition. It was cold so I was wearing tights. I couldn't get the tights over my feet and my legs were like rubber and  my wife was laughing at me and then asked if it wouldn't be better if I unipped them. I need a lot of work on the transition--this was my first try at it and it was a nightmare.

I forgot to pick a challenger, and I think you've earned it. What should the group strive for this week?

Edited by prof40 2009-05-12 4:35 AM

2009-05-11 10:57 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Okay--my weekly challenge for us is: Do a challenging brick with a practice transition in between. So for me, I am going to try to do a 40 mile bike, 7 mile run, or, if the weather gets better, I may try an OW swim with a 40 mile bike. My  transition was soooooo bad on my practice Olympic on Saturday, I was so glad that was not a real event. And T2 is the easy one. I forgot to unzip my tights (not that I'll wear tights in August), and I pulled on them for quite a while before I realized my problem. It's amazing how gone your brain can be when your exhaused and trying to rush.

Don't try to increase over 10% of what you've done in the past, though. No injuries. I want to get to 56 on the bike and 13 on the run but I'm not ready for that. Wherever you are, push it a little but not too much. Good luck.
2009-05-11 11:41 AM

I've got a race this weekend, so I can I count that as my challenge brick? Laughing
2009-05-11 1:30 PM
in reply to: #2143292

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
gplitt - 2009-05-11 11:57 AM Okay--my weekly challenge for us is: Do a challenging brick with a practice transition in between.

OOOH exciting!! Probably the challenge that I need the most right now! I've got less than 2 months until my HIM and bike/run bricks are going to be key to my weekly workouts. I'll also try a swim/bike brick too.

Is anyone here feeling nervous for any upcoming races? I know most tri'ers are tough as nails, but I'm certain they are also all pretty terrified of upcoming challenging races. I've got my first tri of the year in less than 2 weeks (first time using a wetsuit in a race!) and I really want to improve on transition times. I've got another tri a few weeks later, it is a bit shorter than Olympic distance but it is in the hills so... that's pretty terrifying. And then there's that HIM on July 4th. I've got butterflies beginning to form about that one. So... how does everyone else feel?
2009-05-11 3:24 PM

My first race ever is Sunday. I'm pretty much terrified that I'm going to cramp up and dnf, or at least lose to the two guys I work with who are also doing the race.

I don't really have any way of dealing with it, so I'm just taking it easy in all my workouts this week and hoping my training takes care of the rest.
2009-05-12 4:34 AM
in reply to: #2143292

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - It's amazing how gone your brain can be when your exhaused and trying to rush.

Totally agree with this statement.

Sometimes, I'll find myself in transition literally stopping, just for a second, so I can stand still and think about what I'm doing. I talk to myself too, but my friend the psychiatrist says that's nothing to worry about. Yet.

Edited by prof40 2009-05-12 4:34 AM

2009-05-12 4:40 AM
in reply to: #2143447

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
casaubon - 2009-05-11 12:41 PM I've got a race this weekend, so I can I count that as my challenge brick? Laughing

I think that should count as 2 bricks!

I've looked at your logs -- you should be fine for your race distances. How are you feeling?

And by that, I mean, how are you feeling when you're not worried about cramping up and not finishing? You really do have the necessary base done. Worse case scenario, you can probably walk the thing home. So just go out there, and have fun, and do this thing!

Edited by prof40 2009-05-12 4:44 AM
2009-05-12 4:57 AM
in reply to: #2143778

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
krystyna47 -
Is anyone here feeling nervous for any upcoming races?

I never feel as much nervous as I do doubtful: have I trained enough? Did I pick the right clothing? Will I blow a tire?

And there's really not much you can do about that, other than going out there and just doing it.
2009-05-12 6:55 AM
in reply to: #2144981

prof40 - 2009-05-12 4:40 AM
casaubon - 2009-05-11 12:41 PM I've got a race this weekend, so I can I count that as my challenge brick? Laughing

I've looked at your logs -- you should be fine for your race distances. How are you feeling?

And by that, I mean, how are you feeling when you're not worried about cramping up and not finishing? You really do have the necessary base done. Worse case scenario, you can probably walk the thing home. So just go out there, and have fun, and do this thing!

I feel pretty confident I can finish, really, but there's all those unknowns--transitions, flats, waking up on time. I'm a little frustrated at still being slow, but I've barely got two months of training in me, so what can i do. I'm pretty fired up for my first swim lesson tonight, that should hopefully help me bust through that 2:30/100 barrier in the pool. Embarassed
2009-05-12 10:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Finally back from the trip.  I went from the airport straight to the pool. 3x500 1x200 2x100 2x50
Tomorrow Running for one hour with some tempo work. I'll need my iPod!!!
One month from the race and I already have butterflies!!!
Planning on registering on an open water race in Beaufort, SC.  It's on May 30th, one week from the race. Should I do it?
Tks
2009-05-14 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2145086

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
casaubon - 2009-05-12 7:55 AM

I feel pretty confident I can finish, really, but there's all those unknowns--transitions, flats, waking up on time. I'm a little frustrated at still being slow, but I've barely got two months of training in me, so what can i do. I'm pretty fired up for my first swim lesson tonight, that should hopefully help me bust through that 2:30/100 barrier in the pool. Embarassed

Well -- how was the swim lesson?

2009-05-14 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2147309

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boxer - 2009-05-12 11:01 PM Finally back from the trip.  I went from the airport straight to the pool. 3x500 1x200 2x100 2x50
Tomorrow Running for one hour with some tempo work. I'll need my iPod!!!
One month from the race and I already have butterflies!!!
Planning on registering on an open water race in Beaufort, SC.  It's on May 30th, one week from the race. Should I do it?
Tks

Serious devotion to the pool there! I think I might have gone home and just enjoyed being in my house.

Go for the swim -- what's the worst thing that can happen?
2009-05-14 10:43 AM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Krystyna--I am nervous, but I'm doing better than I was. For about a month I was getting so caught up in times and numbers and comparing my workouts, that it wasn't very fun and I was stressed. I'm trying to go back to shooting for my goals, but enjoying the process, and I'm finding I'm much more relaxed about the race itself and sleeping better. I've recovered from a lot of the pain, too, which may have been significantly due to too much stress. I do know I will be nervous, but I also think the practice triathlons and mock races will help with the confidence. I did your swim challenge again today--that has become my Thursday swim routine. Next week I'm going to stretch it to 3000m. Thanks.

Mck--I did your run challenge last night again. That is now my Wednesday run routine.

Casaubon--I was cramping every swim until I started taking calcium--3 Tums, 20 minutes pre-swim 6 weeks ago. I've never had a cramp since. My friend who's a swim coach told me that. It seems to work. It seems to calm my stomach, too.

I'm almost done with my busiest two weeks of the year--AP testing at my high school--and then I can train a lot. I'm having a hard time getting my own challenge in this week, but I'm going to try for Saturday or Sunday. I found an organized practice tri with coaching help before and after and lunch for $10 May 30. That sounds like a bargain.

David--Thanks for all your feedback. Your help and advice is extremely worthwhile. You asked if I was following a plan? Kind of. I found the 20 week 1/2 IM BT plan for beginners too easy and the 20 week BT 1/2 IM plan for intermediates to advanced too hard. I'm making up my own plan in the middle. But mostly I'm just trying to do 9 workouts a week, one day off, improving each week. I do one endurance, one speed, one form workout in each discipline. I'm also upper-body lifting 3  days a week, not too hard. I think it's helping my swimming strength.

Do you know where the rest of our group is? Weren't there about 10 of us? Are they all still with us? I really appreciate this forum. I'm still doing all my actual training alone, but now I'm virtually training with all of you. Have a great weekend.
2009-05-14 8:18 PM
in reply to: #2150452

prof40 - 2009-05-14 9:54 AM
casaubon - 2009-05-12 7:55 AM

Well -- how was the swim lesson?

Great, thanks. We worked mainly on lengthening more than I ever would have thought. I went to the pool yesterday and just played around with it. Definitely felt the different. My lats were sore for the first time in a while.
2009-05-14 8:44 PM

User image

Veteran
Hong Kong
Just getting back from first brick.  I can hardly type!!
First time training with other triathlets, it was a lot of fun and I met a bunch of great people. There were two groups, I went with the fast one (prove that I am very optimistic!) They were doing like 25 mph, they looked more like motorcycles to me!!!  I was in far back trail doing between 19-22 mph.  We stoped within five miles from the end and we launched on 20 sec intervals time trial to the end, lot fun but I really had to push beyond my normal pace. Normally I bike at 140 bpm 150 at the end, today I was at 160 most of the time........ should have not done that.  Then we went for a 2.6 mile run, and that felt great.  I mean moving my legs around, pace wise...... terrible,  I was at 145 - 150 bpm bearly jogging!!!!
Great experience, the more I do this the more I like it!!!! I'm hooked!!!
2009-05-15 6:01 AM
in reply to: #2150579

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
gplitt - 2009-05-14 11:43 AM
David--Thanks for all your feedback. Your help and advice is extremely worthwhile. You asked if I was following a plan? Kind of. I found the 20 week 1/2 IM BT plan for beginners too easy and the 20 week BT 1/2 IM plan for intermediates to advanced too hard. I'm making up my own plan in the middle. But mostly I'm just trying to do 9 workouts a week, one day off, improving each week. I do one endurance, one speed, one form workout in each discipline. I'm also upper-body lifting 3  days a week, not too hard. I think it's helping my swimming strength.

Do you know where the rest of our group is? Weren't there about 10 of us? Are they all still with us? I really appreciate this forum. I'm still doing all my actual training alone, but now I'm virtually training with all of you. Have a great weekend.

Just remember to work some light weeks into your training, too. I'm following a plan now -- and to be honest, I don't know which one it is. Anyway, it seems to work hard 2-3 weeks, and then has one easy. Of course, life sometimes interferes with the work-outs so I don't get it all done, but I try.

When I lifted regularly last summer, I was convinced that it helped my times improve for all 3 sports. I just felt stronger. With that in mind, I started lifting again this week. I forgot how sore you could feel the next morning! Keep up the strength work. Work some legs, too. Squats are supposed to be the perfect lower body exercise.

And as for our group -- well, I think we've all come along nicely. It's nice having virtual training partners, isn't it? I have a friend in Hong Kong who I 'race' periodically. We send each other emails of our times to see who ran the fastest. And I know that some mornings I think of all of you, too, and try some of the things we've discussed on the board.

Speaking of which -- I tried to swim with flippers the other day. I only did 100 yards before I peeled them off, and while I didn't get into using them, I could definitely feel their effect in my legs. My lower body sat higher in the water and it took some adjustments to my kick so I could get some water churning back there. If you are new to swimming, or your legs tend to sink a bit, try them out.

2009-05-15 6:03 AM
in reply to: #2151996

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
boxer - 2009-05-14 9:44 PM Just getting back from first brick.  I can hardly type!!
First time training with other triathlets, it was a lot of fun and I met a bunch of great people. There were two groups, I went with the fast one (prove that I am very optimistic!) They were doing like 25 mph, they looked more like motorcycles to me!!!  I was in far back trail doing between 19-22 mph.  We stoped within five miles from the end and we launched on 20 sec intervals time trial to the end, lot fun but I really had to push beyond my normal pace. Normally I bike at 140 bpm 150 at the end, today I was at 160 most of the time........ should have not done that.  Then we went for a 2.6 mile run, and that felt great.  I mean moving my legs around, pace wise...... terrible,  I was at 145 - 150 bpm bearly jogging!!!!
Great experience, the more I do this the more I like it!!!! I'm hooked!!!

I'm jealous -- sounds like you had an amazing workout!
2009-05-15 6:20 AM
in reply to: #2103606

User image

Expert
, District of Columbia
casaubon - 2009-04-22 5:51 PM Ignoring transitions/including them. T2 should be cake since I have cages instead of clipless

Conservative
450m swim: 14 min
11.5 ride: 45 min
5k run: 33 min

My swimming seemed like it was going great last week. This week it feels like it's gone to hell out of nowhere. It's more frustrating than golf. I feel weirdly optimistic about my riding, so I think this is a complete basement assessment. Same for the run. My big quesiton is whether I can maintin my normal pacing after the swim and ride.

Optimistic
45m swim: 10 min
11.5 ride: 38 min
5k run: 28 min

Last week, I would have told you 10 min was my expectation. Now, well, I wish. This ride is probably optimistic, but I think I can get close. I have trouble getting a feel for my bike pace because my routes involve me negotiating city traffic. I could be way off, but I think I have the most variance here. Nine minute miles is probably beyond me for my first sprint, but it wouldn't blow me away either. I suspect the reality would be something like 12-42-29 for a 1:23

Two days away, huh? Take some time tonight and start laying out your gear, making sure you have everything you need. That way, if you are missing anything, you have all day Saturday to take care of it.

Of course, I'm very literal when I say lay out your stuff. My wife is now used to my muttering as I set things up in 3 piles on our bedroom floor as I talk myself through the race. For example, "ok, will have my swim stuff on, so out of the water, to the bike, put on race number, helmet, gloves, sunglasses, shoes, jump on bike, come back, peel off helmet, gloves, switch shoes, run..."

I just find that I pack better when I visually guide myself through the race.

Try to sleep well tonight. I expect you'll be nervous tomorrow night -- which is normal. 

Check your bike today, fill up the tires, oil the chain. Again, give yourself a day's cushion so if there is something that needs to be addressed, you have all day tomorrow to deal with it.

One of the keys to any good race is avoiding stress. Your body will perform nicely if the brain is into the endeavor. So take care of all the little stuff now, so your brain will say, 'ok, I'm ready to do this thing' and you can have a great Sunday morning.

And then report back to us and tell us how you did.

Have a great race!
2009-05-15 10:19 AM

Chris... here's my list of stuff that I used to get ready for my first tri a couple weeks ago. In case it helps... others here may have better lists/other stuff to add but here goes... in no particular order:

pump
bag for gear
extra clothes for afterwards - hat, jacket, flip flops, etc
body glide (around neck, under arms, for swim)
shades
spi belt
Gu / gels / nutrition
wetsuit
tri shorts
shirt (for run, bike)
helmet
2 towels (one to put your stuff on, one to use)
jacket for bike (if cold)
water bottles (to rinse, to drink)
running shoes / bike shoes
socks
swim bag (with goggles!)
bike!
plastic shopping bags (for easy wetsuit entry)
bottles for bike (mix night before)
Garmin w/ HRM
watch for swim
Tom Tom (gps / for car)
cell phone, charged
anti-bacterial wipes (wife's idea... to clean off before chowing down at end)
coffee for drive

Good luck!

Jerry
2009-05-15 11:26 AM

Thanks guys. I'm planning on packing tonight, then taking it all out tomorrow, then repacking in the morning to see how it comes out. Should be pretty simple since I haven't gone clipless with the bike and won't have to peel off a wetsuit with the pool swim. I'm getting pretty amped up.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Prof40's group CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 18