BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2009-06-08 4:33 PM
in reply to: #2071252

User image

Subject: RE: The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go.
Just wondering how I get faster running? I did a half mary in March and I thought by focusing on running I could become faster. I really haven't. Running is my weakest leg of the Triathlon. Any ideas?

Thanks, Kristina

2009-06-08 11:48 PM
in reply to: #2203295

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Kinesio - 2009-06-08 2:33 PM

Just wondering how I get faster running? I did a half mary in March and I thought by focusing on running I could become faster. I really haven't. Running is my weakest leg of the Triathlon. Any ideas?

Thanks, Kristina

What are you currently doing for running training? DO you incorporate any intervals etc. I will be happy to give you some drills etc that will help you a lot. They helped me immensly. Just let me know where you are currently at so I know where to go from.
2009-06-09 11:03 AM

User image

I run 2-3x per week about 3-4.5miles. It hasn't been that consistant but I know NOW I need to work on it! I would love the info!

Thanks, Kristina
2009-06-11 10:18 AM

User image

A cubicle in Jacksonville, FL

All,
Question for anyone who's done a tri-race regarding T2.
When you dismount your bike before the transition area, do you leave your shoes clipped in to the pedals and run/walk into transition to re-rack your bike in your socks(or bare feet), or do you unclip and walk in on your bike shoes?  I've seen a few articles/videos regarding transition that mention how to set up for T1, but nothing with regards to what happens at this particular point...
Thanks!
-Evan

2009-06-11 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2210193

Regular
Denver
triat45 - 2009-06-11 9:18 AM

All,
When you dismount your bike before the transition area, do you leave your shoes clipped in to the pedals and run/walk into transition to re-rack your bike in your socks(or bare feet), or do you unclip and walk in on your bike shoes?  I've seen a few articles/videos regarding transition that mention how to set up for T1, but nothing with regards to what happens at this particular point...
Thanks!
-Evan

When I did my first one two weeks ago, I just unclipped and walked.  No way am I trying to run in my cycling shoes on pavement and I'm too uncoordinated to get out of the shoes while on the bike, this is even more true on T1, I suspect I'd fall over trying to get my feet into shoes while riding the bike.  I am thinking that I might switch to my mountain bike pedals & shoes next time because then I could at least run in the transitions with my shoes on.  Then again, while my transition times were slow, it was the 34 minute 5k that puts me at the back of the pack.   I also forgot to run out of T2 when I had my running shoes on, so I have "opportunities for improvement" there too.
2009-06-11 3:25 PM

User image

New York City
We were talking about the idea of leaving the bike shoes in the pedals during transition after our group ride last week. One guy who has 10 years of race experience made the point that since none of us are likely to be winning the race, the risk of falling over during T1 or T2 as we struggle to get into our bike shoes while they are clipped in probably outweighs whatever small amount of time we save. So, I am probably going to just walk/jog the bike out of transition in my shoes and then hop on to the bike.

2009-06-12 9:33 AM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
Ok my first tri is approaching.  The week of my race my normal workout would be:
Monday- swim 850 meters run 35 minutes
Tuesday- bike 10 miles
Wednesday- repeat of monday
Thursday rest
Friday-10 mile bike
Saturday-50 minute run

I am planning on doing all workouts that week except my race is on sunday so I will rest on saturday and thursday.  Also I was going to cut all workouts in half.  Also friday I would make a into a mini brick with a 5 mile ride and then a mile run.  (mostly to get one more practice at transition).   Does this sound like a good plan or should I plan to do more or less. 

Thanks for any input
2009-06-12 9:36 AM
in reply to: #2205045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Kinesio - 2009-06-09 9:03 AM

I run 2-3x per week about 3-4.5miles. It hasn't been that consistant but I know NOW I need to work on it! I would love the info!

Thanks, Kristina

Hi Kristina,
When you run what I would do is to add intervals. I would run a 10 minute warm up. Then I would do 6-8 of 1:30 at a pretty fast pace, faster than 5k pace. Followed by 30 seconds of slower pace. I would do this 6-8 times and see what happens. You can also do 1 mile as a warm up, 1-2 miles faster then 1 mile as a cool down. Basically you want to intentionally vary your speed. With short intervals of faster speeds you will adapt to that faster pace and as you go your faster speed will increase in duration and pace. Let me know how it goes.

Scott
2009-06-12 9:40 AM
in reply to: #2210193

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
triat45 - 2009-06-11 8:18 AM

All,
Thanks!
-Evan

I would say first that before you try anything new you should practice a lot during training. Racing always adds an element to things that were habit. If you want t o try to leave shoes clipped in I say go for it. For me its not about win or lose its about fun. Its fun to do things like that. I would also say that if running in your bike shoes is uncomfortable then leave them on your pedals and go for it.

But before you do please Pracitice, Practice, Practice.

Scott
2009-06-12 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2213046

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
stiga00 - 2009-06-12 7:33 AM

Ok my first tri is approaching.  The week of my race my normal workout would be:
Monday- swim 850 meters run 35 minutes
Tuesday- bike 10 miles
Wednesday- repeat of monday
Thursday rest
Friday-10 mile bike
Saturday-50 minute run

I am planning on doing all workouts that week except my race is on sunday so I will rest on saturday and thursday.  Also I was going to cut all workouts in half.  Also friday I would make a into a mini brick with a 5 mile ride and then a mile run.  (mostly to get one more practice at transition).   Does this sound like a good plan or should I plan to do more or less. 

Thanks for any input

I think your plan sounds solid. I think the mini brick sounds great along with rest on saturday and cutting everything in half. After your race try doing a reverse taper to get back into things it helps a lot.

Good luck. I hope it goes well and you finish with a big smile. Let us kow how it goes.
2009-06-12 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2213061

User image

Thanks to Scott and everyone that replied,
Points well taken. I think because it will be my first Tri, and thus far I haven't practiced keeping my shoes clipped in when dismounting, and my race is 4 weeks from tomorrow, I'll stick with unclipping and walking, both in and out of transition.  I guess I'm over-analyzing some of these aspects, because I wanted to try to be prepared come race day. Also, I was inspired by what Doug had done a few weeks back when he did a 'mock triathlon', and next weekend will be doing my own Mock triathlon sunday morning- complete with a transition area in the garage. Swim, bike and run will all be race distance. I'll let ya know how that works out....

2009-06-18 8:05 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Been kinda quiet. Anyone have a tri this weekend? I have my first of the year. I have done two duathlons but this is my first tri of the year. Good luck everyone.
2009-06-18 8:46 AM

User image

New York City
Good luck Scott.

I have my first tri of the year on Saturday at Wyckoff: Swim 1/2 mile, bike 17 miles, run 5 miles. It is a big event for the tri club I am in because it is our local race. This is my third race overall and the first time doing this race.

I feel ready, although for the last two weeks, I have been unable to get in a lot of training due to family and work obligations.

I sure hope it does not rain. We have had some bad weather for June here in the NY/NJ area.

John
2009-06-18 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2226225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
JohnOD - 2009-06-18 6:46 AM

Good luck Scott.

I have my first tri of the year on Saturday at Wyckoff: Swim 1/2 mile, bike 17 miles, run 5 miles. It is a big event for the tri club I am in because it is our local race. This is my third race overall and the first time doing this race.

I feel ready, although for the last two weeks, I have been unable to get in a lot of training due to family and work obligations.

I sure hope it does not rain. We have had some bad weather for June here in the NY/NJ area.

John

I hope it goes well. Is your tri club pretty big? Do you have a lot of people at one race?
2009-06-19 6:25 PM

User image

New York City
Scott-

The Tri Group is pretty big, with some of the folks being quite experienced. Here is the link to the website. http://www.grtri.com/

This race will have a lot of folks there because it is the local race.

Good luck.

John
2009-06-20 4:32 PM

User image

Good luck on your races this weekend - John & Scott!!! Can't wait to hear about them!

So I have been super busy @ work, being Mommy & triathlete.

A couple of weeks ago, I had my 1st tri of the season! It was fun! Rancho Secco Tri 4 Fun #1 of a series of 3. I am very familiar with this course. I had a PR by 30 seconds!! So I was very happy!!! I really worked hard especially on the bike! I just pushed hard the whole way on the bike. I struggled on the run (not really a surprise).

My TRANSITIONs were awful! I just wasn't as smooth as I have been in the past. And because it is a sprint I might just forego the SOCKS because I just wasted a lot of time trying to put them on. What do you guys think?

Then on that Sunday I did a Womens 5K run. It was painful because I was sore. I did it because it was supose to be a mother/ daughter thing but my Mom got sick. They had lots of goodies & nice tec shirts +++!

When is everyones next race? I can't decide for mine yet.
Kristina

2009-06-21 8:42 AM
in reply to: #2230941

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Kinesio - 2009-06-20 2:32 PM

Good luck on your races this weekend - John & Scott!!! Can't wait to hear about them!

So I have been super busy @ work, being Mommy & triathlete.

A couple of weeks ago, I had my 1st tri of the season! It was fun! Rancho Secco Tri 4 Fun #1 of a series of 3. I am very familiar with this course. I had a PR by 30 seconds!! So I was very happy!!! I really worked hard especially on the bike! I just pushed hard the whole way on the bike. I struggled on the run (not really a surprise).

My TRANSITIONs were awful! I just wasn't as smooth as I have been in the past. And because it is a sprint I might just forego the SOCKS because I just wasted a lot of time trying to put them on. What do you guys think?

Then on that Sunday I did a Womens 5K run. It was painful because I was sore. I did it because it was supose to be a mother/ daughter thing but my Mom got sick. They had lots of goodies & nice tec shirts +++!

When is everyones next race? I can't decide for mine yet.
Kristina

Hi Kristina,
Here is what I do with socks for transition. I wear them for the swim. Then when I get to transition, I take them off and with them comes all the dirt, gravel and grass my wet feet picked up. Then I just go barefoot for the rest of the race. It speeds things up a lot because you don't have to clean your feet after the swim and you don't have to try and get dry socks on wet feet.
2009-06-21 8:49 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Well I had my race yesterday and it was a lot of fun. My swim was a bit slow but given my training the last couple of weeks I am not surprised, besides I just wanted to finish with a smile. The tri had a 8oom swim, 11.8mile bike and 2.8 mile run. My times were 19:51, 38:00, and 22:29. Didn't set the world on fire but had a lot of fun and met some nice people. Thats what its all about anyway. Hope everyone had a great weekend.
2009-06-21 8:50 AM
in reply to: #2226225

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
JohnOD - 2009-06-18 6:46 AM

Good luck Scott.

John

Hey John,
How was the race? I hope you had fun and did well.
2009-06-21 8:51 AM
in reply to: #2205045

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Kinesio - 2009-06-09 9:03 AM

Thanks, Kristina

Just wondering how the intervals are working out for you?
2009-06-21 10:39 AM
in reply to: #2231627

User image

New York City
The race went well. I had a lot of fun and finished strong.

The race was 1/2 mile swim, 17 mile bike and 5 mile run. My overall time was 2:20:06, which put me at 584 out of 744 finishers.

The breakdown was:

swim 22:07 2:31 pace 516 place
T1 5:59
Bike 1:00:02 17.0 avmph 535 place
T2 6:13
Run: 45:45 9:09 pace 551 place

These numbers are interesting because I really thought that the swim was my worst leg, and it looks like I did better than I felt I did. I had a lot of trouble getting a good freestyle pace going in the crowd, and wound up at times swimming on my back to catch my breath.

I felt great on the bike. I have been riding this course regularly this spring and I knew it well. That really helped. I actually did a PR for the course by several minutes. However, given how well I did on the bike I would have thought I would have placed higher.

The run was also a surprise. There was a very difficult hill at mile 3, and I wound up walking a bit. The pace, which was fast for me, was a surprise because I did not feel that I was going that fast.

Transitions obviously were slow and cost me some time. I had trouble getting out of my wetsuit at T1 and then had trouble getting my bike racked at T2, plus I took a few minutes to catch my breath. But even if I cut two minutes of each transition, It would not have materially changed my position.

Overall I had a lot of fun. This was good test and I was very pleased that I finished with a good sprint at the end. For my third tri ever and my first this year, I'll take it.

2009-06-21 10:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
Nice work John! You really had good pacing for the race and wow there were a lot of people. Swimming would be hectic to say the least. Way to go. On your wetsuit do your arms go all the way to your wrists and your legs all the way to your ankles? I cut about 3 inches off mine and that made it so much easier to take off and put on. Might be something to try.
So what was the highlight and what was the learning experience?
Scott
2009-06-22 9:37 AM
in reply to: #2232845

User image

Scott, John, Kristina,

Wow! Great work everyone! I've got my first race coming up on July 11th. So yesterday, in honor of Fathers day, I did a 'mock-triathlon' (Thanks for the idea, Doug!) doing race distances and transition etc. I swam 500 yards, did a 13.6 mile ride and a 3.2 mile 'run'. My total time was 1:47:23, but I felt really slow, especially on the run(41 mins). I had to walk some because my legs were burning. One thing I noticed that hadn't occurred to me before was how hard it was to get on my cycling jersey over a wet torso. I might have to re-think that for race day and just go with a tech t-shirt. Other than that I think it was very humbling- all my training times (except for the swim) were much better, and now I know I need to focus a lot more on the run portion in the next 3 weeks. I don't want to get too hung up on times since it will be my first ever tri, but I also want to do the best that I can at this point.

2009-06-22 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2233603

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ellensburg, WA
triat45 - 2009-06-22  7:37 AM

Scott, John, Kristina,

Wow! Great work everyone! I've got my first race coming up on July 11th. So yesterday, in honor of Fathers day, I did a 'mock-triathlon' (Thanks for the idea, Doug!) doing race distances and transition etc. I swam 500 yards, did a 13.6 mile ride and a 3.2 mile 'run'. My total time was 1:47:23, but I felt really slow, especially on the run(41 mins). I had to walk some because my legs were burning. One thing I noticed that hadn't occurred to me before was how hard it was to get on my cycling jersey over a wet torso. I might have to re-think that for race day and just go with a tech t-shirt. Other than that I think it was very humbling- all my training times (except for the swim) were much better, and now I know I need to focus a lot more on the run portion in the next 3 weeks. I don't want to get too hung up on times since it will be my first ever tri, but I also want to do the best that I can at this point.

Excellent work. This type of practice will pay off a lot later. One thing you can do for the shirt is just wear it under your wetsuit. I do so in transition all I have to do is strip off the wetsuit, put on bike shoes and helmet (race number and glasses) and head out. When your wet, the less you have to put on the better. Nice work.
2009-06-22 11:35 AM
in reply to: #2233774

User image

Scott,
This is sunny (and sweltering hot) Florida.  No wet suits allowed! For all the races during the late-spring and summer, the water is normally warm enough where USAT prohibits wet suit use. It got to 100 yesterday, which is another reason I started at 7AM. I do like your idea of layering it and having it underneath, but unfortunately that's not applicable here. I guess I'll practice doing it more -my wife suggested rolling the jersey up from the bottom(while setting up transition) and then putting it on and simply unrolling it, but that sounded way too easy so I'll have to try it.  
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » The Great Adventure - closed and ready to go. Rss Feed  

of 10