BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2009-07-29 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2306930

User image

Expert
Madison, MS
Subject: RE: KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD

Mars11 - 2009-07-24 8:24 PM Here's a question for everyone.

As you all know I have 3 kids.  2 of which are old enough to participate in youth triathlons (ages 8 and 10).  They are both on the swim team and swim 90 minutes 4 days a week.  (although Championships are tomorrow and those practices are over).  They enjoy many other sports and playing outside.  Frequently they ride their bikes with me to keep me company as I run.  We've recently started running a couple times a week also (a little over 1 mile at a time).

They are so excited and encouraging during my training and my races, so they wanted to try it out for themselves. 

So my question is:

Do you have any suggestions of how to help them train? 
Their race is Aug. 15th
100m swim, 4k bike, 1k run

Marsha,

I don't have kids, so this is just coming from the gut.

I wouldn't do anymore than you are already doing. Keep it a fun thing to do with mom. No pressure. No expectations. The only thing you might want to practice are transitions. Help them figure out how to set up and then practice going from the swim to bike and bike to run. But, again, keep it fun. Make it like a game. Let them figure out the best way to do it for themselves.

My buck-fifty...

Edited by kvesey 2009-07-29 8:40 AM

2009-07-29 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2314273

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-07-28 11:33 PM Hi all, I have kind of been in the shadows for a little while, dealing with some work and family issues.  I am back in full swing with the training.  I hope everyone is well and kicking butt in their races.... blowing the PRs away.

Karen,  I signed up for team in training tonight.  So, I am scheduled to run my first Marathon.  I am doing the Mardis Gras Marathon on February 28th.  It's kind of fitting since I am running the marathon in honor of my dad who was diagnosed with B cell Lymphoma on July 8th, the reason it is so fitting is because I will be running the marathon in honor of him, on his birthday!  Any advice for a first time marathoner?

Good luck to you all and keep up the hard work!

Hey, Todd...good to have you back!

And congrats on signing up for Team in Training. I did TnT a little more than 10 years ago and ran the Mayor's Midnight Sun Marathon in Anchorage. It was a fantastic experience for a great cause. Definitely put me on your list for when you start fund raising.

With TnT you will get a very thorough marathon training plan, and it will probably depend on the coach as to how you approach it.

When I've coached charity runners/walkers (I coached for the Arthritis Foundation's Joints in Motion program), I used the Galloway run/walk method (for the runners) and suggested run/walk times based on the individual's experience and fitness level. I personally run/walk my marathons...and no, it doesn't slow you down. Take a look at Jeff Galloway's website. It explains it.

Another thing I did for both runners and walkers was build in strength/speed workouts that started with hill repeats and then moved into tempo-paced intervals and cadence drills.

But, work with your coach. That's the person with the experience. Ask questions and discuss how your training is going. The coach will probably provide one training plan for everyone, but is likely willing to work with you to adjust it to your specific fitness level and time constraints.

Also, here's a fund raising idea in case you want to do something in addition to sending out letters/e-mails. I raised money for Livestrong through the Janus Charity Challenge when I did IMFL. So, to help, I hosted a "gourmet" (I use that term lightly since hubby and I cooked...but he's an excellent chef) dinner with a suggested $25 donation per person. It was loads of fun, and I made a few hundred dollars.

Good luck with it all!

2009-07-29 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2077050

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Thanks Karen for the tips!  I am sure I will employ the run/walk method.  I believe I read somewhere that those who use the run/walk method actually finish stronger than those who just run because they seem to be fresher toward the end.... we will see.

I will definitely keep you in mind for the fundraising, I will need all the help I can get.  I have one business that is considering a cooporate sponsorship and a couple of individuals who are willing to go as high as 500.  hopefully they will follow through.

I also thought about doing something with Livestrong, maybe the Livestrong Challenge.

Again, thanks for the advice and help.  I am on vacation the next couple of weeks, if the rain moves out we should get together for a ride.

2009-07-29 2:17 PM
in reply to: #2315440

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-07-29 1:31 PM Thanks Karen for the tips!  I am sure I will employ the run/walk method.  I believe I read somewhere that those who use the run/walk method actually finish stronger than those who just run because they seem to be fresher toward the end.... we will see.

I will definitely keep you in mind for the fundraising, I will need all the help I can get.  I have one business that is considering a cooporate sponsorship and a couple of individuals who are willing to go as high as 500.  hopefully they will follow through.

I also thought about doing something with Livestrong, maybe the Livestrong Challenge.

Again, thanks for the advice and help.  I am on vacation the next couple of weeks, if the rain moves out we should get together for a ride.

Yay for vacation! Enjoy! (Are you going out of town or doing a "stay-cation"?)

We're going to the beach for the weekend. Not sure when we'll get a real vacation this year, though.

Not sure what I have on tap for rides next week, but I am tentatively planning a hill training ride on Thursday evening. Also, I'm willing to bet I'll have a long ride over the weekend (since I'm only riding 2 hours this weekend...I love recovery weeks). I'll PM you as I know more.

2009-07-29 5:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Ok guys, I have my Team in Training page up and going!  Please check it out and be as generous as you can.  I know times are hard for everyone, but every dollar counts and is 100% tax deductible.

Additionally, if any of you are survivors, family members of survivors or have someone you would like to honor, I will wear their name, their picture and/or a TNT purple band for each of them with your donation!  I am also selling my clothing as billboard for coorporate sponsors who provide their logo:  See below

Front of hat = $150
Front of Jersey = $250
Back of Jersey= $200
Seat of pants= $150
Socks= $75 each
Body markings with black marker or body paint = $50 per limb

http://pages.teamintraining.org/ms/mardigra10/tkingg

Thanks for your support,

Todd

Edited by msfugitivehunter 2009-07-29 5:58 PM
2009-07-30 8:59 AM
in reply to: #2316083

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-07-29 5:57 PM Ok guys, I have my Team in Training page up and going!  Please check it out and be as generous as you can.  I know times are hard for everyone, but every dollar counts and is 100% tax deductible.

Additionally, if any of you are survivors, family members of survivors or have someone you would like to honor, I will wear their name, their picture and/or a TNT purple band for each of them with your donation!  I am also selling my clothing as billboard for coorporate sponsors who provide their logo:  See below

Front of hat = $150
Front of Jersey = $250
Back of Jersey= $200
Seat of pants= $150
Socks= $75 each

Thanks for your support,

Todd

Todd,

Count me as one of your first donors. And I would be very appreciative if you would wear a purple band in memory of my cousin, Matthew Breede, who lost his battle with leukemia when he was 4 years old.

Thanks!

2009-07-30 11:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Consider it done, and thank you very much for your support!  You happen to be my very first and only donor so far.

As far as training, do you think this rain will ever move out?  I am so tired of being stuck indoors on a trainer or treadmill.  Aren't you doing Augusta?
2009-07-30 1:39 PM
in reply to: #2317413

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-07-30 11:23 AM Consider it done, and thank you very much for your support!  You happen to be my very first and only donor so far.

As far as training, do you think this rain will ever move out?  I am so tired of being stuck indoors on a trainer or treadmill.  Aren't you doing Augusta?

Yep. Doing Augusta. So far, I've been able to run outdoors. And during the week, I ride on the trainer anyway, so it's not any different than normal. This is an easy week for me, anyway, and I don't have to worry about anything longer than 2 hours on the bike this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem. Supposedly, we're dry (and hot) next week.

2009-07-30 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2316083

User image

Veteran
Barrington

msfugitivehunter - 2009-07-29 5:57 PM Ok guys, I have my Team in Training page up and going!  Please check it out and be as generous as you can.  I know times are hard for everyone, but every dollar counts and is 100% tax deductible.

Front of hat = $150
Front of Jersey = $250
Back of Jersey= $200
Seat of pants= $150
Socks= $75 each

Thanks for your support,

Todd

Hey Todd,
Donation made. 
Wish I could do more.  Keep me updated and perhaps another donation will be available in the future.
Good luck to you in your training and in your race.
~Marsha

Edited by Mars11 2009-07-30 2:26 PM
2009-07-31 12:23 PM
in reply to: #2317775

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
kvesey - 2009-07-30 1:39 PM

msfugitivehunter - 2009-07-30 11:23 AM Consider it done, and thank you very much for your support!  You happen to be my very first and only donor so far.

Yep. Doing Augusta. So far, I've been able to run outdoors. And during the week, I ride on the trainer anyway, so it's not any different than normal. This is an easy week for me, anyway, and I don't have to worry about anything longer than 2 hours on the bike this weekend. Shouldn't be a problem. Supposedly, we're dry (and hot) next week.

I have been running outdoors in the rain, not real crazy about getting the bike out in the rain.  Don't want to get all that water in my components and these knuckleheads drive bad enough when the sun is out... ha ha!  But the trainer bores me to tears, although I know it's a necessary evil.

You looking for a PR in Augusta?  I bet you smoke the course.
2009-07-31 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2317912

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Mars11 - 2009-07-30 2:24 PM

Front of hat = $150
Front of Jersey = $250
Back of Jersey= $200
Seat of pants= $150
Socks= $75 each

Thanks for your support,

Todd

Hey Todd,
Donation made. 
Wish I could do more.  Keep me updated and perhaps another donation will be available in the future.
~Marsha

Thank you Marsha, donation was posted.  I will keep everyone up to date on my progress.  I have big hopes for the training.  I am also training for HIM New Orleans in April 2010 and the Marathon is in Feb. 2010.  Not sure how all that will mesh, but my run is my weakest leg of my Tri, so I am praying this will help me instead of hurting me.  Maybe the coach can get my running up to speed.

Thanks again for you support!

2009-08-02 6:23 PM

User image

Hey guys, just a little update. Completed my first sprint tri yesterday!  After everything (all the injuries, finding out a relative had died the day before, 1 1/2 hours sleep the day before the race, leaving my kit 400 miles away and having to meet my dad halfway so we did a 400 mile round trip and arrived late!),i was just pleased i did it.   The run was only 20s slower than my gym run time, my swim time was better than i'd aimed for (altho i panicked and didnt know if i could I go on,some prehistoric fear seemed to kick in when i couldnt see past my elbow when i swam, so i had to breastroke, most of the way).  Was very happy with the way the bike went, as it was pouring with rain and i had to slow right down in placs, there were a couple of nasty falls.  Transitions very slow as i made a point of ensuring my body had calmed sufficiently before i set off again.  All in all, i was 600/656.  The time I was aiming for before my injury was 1h30,which would make me 90th.... guess i'm gonna have to go back next year eh...

Thanks for all of your support guys,i hope your forthcoming races go well.
2009-08-02 7:14 PM
in reply to: #2322718

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
aphrodite_225 - 2009-08-02 6:23 PM Hey guys, just a little update. Completed my first sprint tri yesterday!  After everything (all the injuries, finding out a relative had died the day before, 1 1/2 hours sleep the day before the race, leaving my kit 400 miles away and having to meet my dad halfway so we did a 400 mile round trip and arrived late!),i was just pleased i did it.   The run was only 20s slower than my gym run time, my swim time was better than i'd aimed for (altho i panicked and didnt know if i could I go on,some prehistoric fear seemed to kick in when i couldnt see past my elbow when i swam, so i had to breastroke, most of the way).  Was very happy with the way the bike went, as it was pouring with rain and i had to slow right down in placs, there were a couple of nasty falls.  Transitions very slow as i made a point of ensuring my body had calmed sufficiently before i set off again.  All in all, i was 600/656.  The time I was aiming for before my injury was 1h30,which would make me 90th.... guess i'm gonna have to go back next year eh...

Thanks for all of your support guys,i hope your forthcoming races go well.

Congrats on your first race!  My only question would be, did you have fun?  If you can answer yes to that question, it was all worth it.  Considering all the obstacles, you did very well!

Either way, you set a PR!  Again, congrats and welcome to the addiction!
2009-08-03 5:02 AM

User image

Hi msfugitivehunter,

thanks for the congrats!  Yes it was fun.  The swim was panicky but that was lack of preparation on my part, should've done a few murky water swims before the race.  All in all, I really enjoyed it and was so pleased that I did it.  Feels good to know that I can push myself when I'm feeling rough,and I'm looking forward to going back and blasting my time out of the water (literally!) next year. 

After seeing me do it, my boyfriend is also seriously considering it next year!  One of his friends is interested too, and although I've never met him, he phoned me the next day to ask how it went, which was nice!  I'll have my own little tri club set up before i know it, the way this is going!  

Nice to know I now have a PR to work at now, i'd forgotten about that!  

Thanks again.   
2009-08-03 8:55 AM
in reply to: #2323287

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

aphrodite_225 - 2009-08-03 5:02 AM Hi msfugitivehunter,

thanks for the congrats!  Yes it was fun.  The swim was panicky but that was lack of preparation on my part, should've done a few murky water swims before the race.  All in all, I really enjoyed it and was so pleased that I did it.  Feels good to know that I can push myself when I'm feeling rough,and I'm looking forward to going back and blasting my time out of the water (literally!) next year. 

After seeing me do it, my boyfriend is also seriously considering it next year!  One of his friends is interested too, and although I've never met him, he phoned me the next day to ask how it went, which was nice!  I'll have my own little tri club set up before i know it, the way this is going!  

Nice to know I now have a PR to work at now, i'd forgotten about that!  

Thanks again.   

It's all good, huh?

Well, congratulations on your first race. It was all perfectly normal. I totally panicked in the water the first time, and it took me a couple of years before I finally totally settled down. It'll get better the more you do it.

And it's so very cool that you are already recruiting others to the "dark side."

2009-08-03 8:58 AM
in reply to: #2319779

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-07-31 12:23 PM
kvesey - 2009-07-30 1:39 PM

I have been running outdoors in the rain, not real crazy about getting the bike out in the rain.  Don't want to get all that water in my components and these knuckleheads drive bad enough when the sun is out... ha ha!  But the trainer bores me to tears, although I know it's a necessary evil.

You looking for a PR in Augusta?  I bet you smoke the course.

Yep. The  goal for Augusta is under 6 hours...which would be a huge PR. Bike course sounded scary hilly at first, but now it sounds pretty good and possibly fast. If I can get that down to 3 hours and a downstream, wetsuit-aided swim around 40 minutes, that, in theory should give me plenty of time for the run. I did the first half of the IMFL run in 2:17...you would think I could do a stand-alone HIM distance at least that fast. Hopefully, it won't be a-gazillion degrees.

Edited by kvesey 2009-08-03 9:05 AM

2009-08-03 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2319787

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

msfugitivehunter - 2009-07-31 12:25 PM
Mars11 - 2009-07-30 2:24 PM

Front of hat = $150
Front of Jersey = $250
Back of Jersey= $200
Seat of pants= $150
Socks= $75 each

Thanks for your support,

Todd

Hey Todd,
Donation made. 
~Marsha

Thank you Marsha, donation was posted.  I will keep everyone up to date on my progress.  I have big hopes for the training.  I am also training for HIM New Orleans in April 2010 and the Marathon is in Feb. 2010.  Not sure how all that will mesh, but my run is my weakest leg of my Tri, so I am praying this will help me instead of hurting me.  Maybe the coach can get my running up to speed.

Thanks again for you support!

Todd,

I think you will find in training for the marathon that you will want to focus less on the bike and more on the run. But, I also don't think it will hurt your HIM training. Once the marathon is over, and after a suitable break, you can decrease your run volume and ramp the bike volume back up until it's time to taper for the HIM. And keep swimming as much as you would either way.

I'm actually opposite. I'm doing the HIM in September and then a marathon in January (a longer time between the two). Pretty much as soon as I get through Augusta, I am going to really focus on running and swim and bike minimally. Which probably will work out well since it looks like I will take a crack at the IM distance again next year. That way, I get a break before returning to the volume of that kind of training.

2009-08-03 10:58 AM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Hello All & Karen,

Is your group closed? I only discovered this forum today and been on Beginnertri for about a week. I am a complete newbie at this tri business, but am about as enthused as a beginner can be. My background is in rugby and boxing but since moving to the USA i was introduced to the possibilty of Triathlon by a friend who competes in sprint distance events and is new to the sport himself. I have deicded to make it my goal to get back into shape and complete a sprint tri. I began training a few weeks back changing my emhpasis from lifting with the gym rats to bike adn run workouts. While trail running I took a spill and popped my ankle pretty badly which has been preventing me from getting any road work in so my focus has shifted to the bike and I am currently preparing for a century ride in mid september. The biggest hurdle is that although I am from an Island I cant swim. I will be getting lessons also in mid Sept. I am determined to finish a tri.
2009-08-03 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2323975

User image

Expert
Madison, MS

Mairtin - 2009-08-03 10:58 AM Hello All & Karen,

Is your group closed? I only discovered this forum today and been on Beginnertri for about a week. I am a complete newbie at this tri business, but am about as enthused as a beginner can be. My background is in rugby and boxing but since moving to the USA i was introduced to the possibilty of Triathlon by a friend who competes in sprint distance events and is new to the sport himself. I have deicded to make it my goal to get back into shape and complete a sprint tri. I began training a few weeks back changing my emhpasis from lifting with the gym rats to bike adn run workouts. While trail running I took a spill and popped my ankle pretty badly which has been preventing me from getting any road work in so my focus has shifted to the bike and I am currently preparing for a century ride in mid september. The biggest hurdle is that although I am from an Island I cant swim. I will be getting lessons also in mid Sept. I am determined to finish a tri.

You are more than welcome to join us. We are a small, cozy, friendly group, and we would be delighted to have you.

2009-08-03 11:05 AM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Great,

I am living in the Akron Ohio area. Do you know of a beginner friendly Tri in this area? Also what do triathletes do in the winter months.
2009-08-03 12:11 PM
in reply to: #2323996

User image

Veteran
Richland, MS
Mairtin - 2009-08-03 11:05 AM Great,

I am living in the Akron Ohio area. Do you know of a beginner friendly Tri in this area? Also what do triathletes do in the winter months.

Hey Mairtin and welcome aboard!  As far as training in the winter... I live in the deep south so we are pretty much able to train year round, if you don't mind riding and running when it's cool outside.  We rarely see freezing temps here.  However, I would recomend that you find a good winter maintenance plan and a place to swim indoors.  You can still run on a treadmill (not my favorite) and find yourself a good trainer/spin classes and use weight training to maintain your legs for the cycling.  Your training won't be nearly as race specific as if your were actually outdoors, but it will help you maintain your gains.

Good luck with the training.  Let me warn you, this is the most addictive sport in the world....you have been warned..lol

2009-08-03 12:19 PM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Thanks for the welcome,

I am definitely getting the impression that you are all a bunch of addicts without hope of recovery. It is great to do something you are passionate about and while I am really just a beginner I am already having nightmares about showing up at Kona and a broken down MTN bike with tractor tires. I picked up an indoor bike trainer when i got my bike - a Raleigh Cadent FT1... i guess they call it a high performance hybrid. It doesnt have drop bars but is the same fram and rims as their road bikes and that can easily accomodate much slimmer tires than are on it. I had some aero bars put on just ot get used to that position. Im sure the bike will do nicely for my first few sprints. Want to make sure the dedication is there before i cough over the cash for a tri bike.
2009-08-05 10:13 AM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Went to the pool today for the first time in three years, and three years ago involved pretty much sitting in the pool with little movement to cool of from the Thai sun while my wife soaked up the rays. What I did this morning couldnt be called swimming as much as flailing wildly at the water and trying my best not to drown. I never really learned to swim properly and now it is biting me on the a$$. Watching little old ladies blow past you at what seems a rate of knots is pretty embarassing. I will be starting swim lessons in mid Sep but until then any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can move along at a fair pace while my head is in the water but that only lasts as far as my deepest breath. I cant seem to get the hang of turning my head to breath without taking a mouth full of water and spluttering red facedly.
2009-08-05 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2329399

User image

Veteran
Barrington

Mairtin - 2009-08-05 10:13 AM Went to the pool today for the first time in three years, and three years ago involved pretty much sitting in the pool with little movement to cool of from the Thai sun while my wife soaked up the rays. What I did this morning couldnt be called swimming as much as flailing wildly at the water and trying my best not to drown. I never really learned to swim properly and now it is biting me on the a$$. Watching little old ladies blow past you at what seems a rate of knots is pretty embarassing. I will be starting swim lessons in mid Sep but until then any advice would be greatly appreciated. I can move along at a fair pace while my head is in the water but that only lasts as far as my deepest breath. I cant seem to get the hang of turning my head to breath without taking a mouth full of water and spluttering red facedly.

Ah-ha a swimming question~~~~
YEAH for beginning your swimming training!!  That's the first step!!  Here are a few of my suggestions:

1. Don't compare yourself to anyone else (besides, those little old ladies don't care what you are doing)
2. Everytime you are in the pool swimming laps you are that much closer to your goal!!!  You will learn soon enough that your endurance and strength in the water will increase rapidily if you stay consistent.  Same goes for if you're not in the pool  --> decreases quickly.
3. Find somone to meet at the pool and swim with (even if you're not the same pace)
4.  Bring a workout and stick to it.  It's way to easy to go and swim a few laps, hang on the wall and not even get your heartrate up.....what's the point of even getting wet?  Make it worth your effort!!!
5.  Breathing drill:  Hold a kick board out in front of you.  Kick on your stomach, face in the water.  Breath to the side when you need to.  Make sure to ALTERNATE breathing on each side.  Take your time and stay relaxed.  If this is challenging, concentrate on tightening your core and lifting your hips.
6.  Breathing with your full stroke: Be sure to blow all your air out while your face is in the water.  Take a relaxed breath to the side.  3 strokes.  Relaxed breath to the other side.
7.  Remember your legs have the largest muscles in your body, so try not to kick like crazy because they will use up all your oxygen.  Balance yourself, hips up, long, strong stroke.  If you feel like your legs are dragging, use a pull buoy until you get a feel for how your body position should be.
8.  Don't hold your breath!!

That should get you started.  Good luck!!!

~Marsha

2009-08-05 12:53 PM

User image

Cuyahoga Falls
Marsha thanks for the advice,

trouble is im not even at the level of ability where i can swim laps...i pretty much went to the leisure pool and splashed back and forth on a 25yard or there abouts length of 3 feet deep water. im pretty broad across the shoulder and not very flexible so turning in the water is an issue and also my hips ride too low in the water and i just cant seem to keep them up
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KVesey's Group - WORKING HARD Rss Feed  

of 11