Subject: RE: Jackjack's group - closed
Ooh forgot to say
Congratulations Rachel on graduation!

2009-05-06 7:04 AM
in reply to: #2077527

User image

Expert
Rachel-Congrats on graduating!! What field will you be working in?

Di-I'm glad you found a recipe from the book already. My family loves the Curried Portebella Mushroom sandwiches. They're so fast to make, and deliscious! They work great on the grill too.
2009-05-06 1:46 PM

User image

MA
Thanks for the graduation well wishes. I'll be working as a mechanical/systems engineer. if my dad ever downloads the pictures off his camera i'll post one here

Heidi hope your daughter's ankle is ok. Even bad sprains can take a while to heal and be quite painful. That must be nice that you live close enough to drive down and support her when those types of situations arise. Hope you are able to find some time for yourself today and get a little training in.

I've gone running the past two days. Deffinately the sport i need to spend the most time with. Biking and swimming i know i can already at least complete Oly distances. Running not so much.

I need to start looking for a pool to join out here too. Still kind of inconvenient because i'll be moving again in about 2 months so need something with a monthly plan. But i think a local Y around me allows for that and has a masters program so thats one of my goals for the week is to look into that. hoping it will be nice this weekend and i can take my bike outside I'll be volunteering at the New England Season opener this Sunday too.

So far today I've had:
2 servings - OJ
1 serving - banana

plan to have a pear for a snack later and some kind of veggie w/ dinner
2009-05-06 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
I hope everyone is having a nice day. I seem to have caught some type of cold bug. I was able to bike this morning feeling okay, so I am going to rest some this afternoon and hit the bed early tonight. Hopefully my run tomorrow will fly.

A question... when biking, what are the benefits of staying seated while riding a hill vs. standing up to ride the hill?
I was out for a ride this morning (nice brisk 45 degrees) and rode up a hill that is probably 2 miles long.. gradual at first but then a bit steep at the end. I rode seated for 90% of the hill, but then I had to stand up to ride the last part of the hill.
Are there any endurance benefits to either or does it really matter?

Dee
2009-05-06 3:15 PM

User image

Master
I'm back.  I'm sick.  My DH has jury duty.

sigh.

Trip was good but no workout since I left.  I did walk everyday, with small hills, so I was not a complete slug, but now being sick I wished I'd found "real" workout time.  Ah well.  Hopefully tomorrow I'll feel better and can catch some workout time.

Congrats on the graduation and a bike.  and all your fruits and veggies.  hmm, dunno if I can remember my meals but I think I did alright...
Monday: juice x3, fruit salad, refried beans (veggie or protien??), saladx2  Not bad.
Tuesday: Juicex6, soybeans, squash raviolis  not bad for a travel day (thus all the juice in flight!)
Wednesday: hmm, cabbage... I think that's it so far today, pretty shabby!  welcome home sloth!

I need a restful day and will hope my get-up-and-exercise is back tomorrow, guess I'll reserve gym space for the kids in hopes I feel up to it.

-Cynthia
2009-05-06 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2134769

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Welcome back Cynthia and sorry you are sick - at least it wasn't over the weekend.  Rest and just go easy for your next workout when you feel up to it.

Dee, the bike sitting, standing thing.
Pure cyclists do both and develop fitness in both ways.  For triathletes you should develop hip strength by sitting and spinning up hills as much as you can.   Obviously sometimes that is too hard but as much as you can.  The theory is that by sitting and spinning you are not fatiguing the muscles you will need to run later.  Generally speaking it is the athletes that you see standing and grinding (low cadence) up hills that have more problems on the run. 
As you gain experience and fitness on the bike some training can involve low cadence intervals (60-70rpm) as this will develop leg strength (and enable you to spin in a harder gear up the hills) but when you lower cadence then you are increasing risk of injury for knees.

By the way I am jealous of that hill. I go out on my bike looking for hills.  We have loads of rollers and short hills here but nothing that long.

2009-05-06 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Cynthia- sorry you are sick.
I am sick also. I have been fighting what I thought was a minor cold bug for the past week.
A few hours after my ride this morning.. whammo... I've been coughing, have a slight fever, and my father in law put me on antibiotics.
So the next few days I'll be resting and I guess the kids will be watching cartoons and movies.
Blah. I hate being sick!
Hoping to be okay by Friday so we can go camping.

I hope everyone has a good rest of the week.

Dee
2009-05-07 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2135434

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning ladies

We have 3 in this group who seem to be sick.  From Jenny's log it sounds like she's not feeling too good.  I hope you are all feeling at least a bit better today.   Being sick sucks!

Heidi, I hope the appointment with the doc for your daughter went OK and there is nothing broken.

Rachel, a graduation picture would be wonderful to see!

Di, hope you're doing OK

For the fruit and veggie thing I had a great day yesterday - I even stopped counting number of portions after I hit 5 AND I managed to include salad and veggies as well as fruit.  So, that's positive.  I've been resting a twinge in my knee the last couple of days and my overall consumption of food hasn't gone down so me and the scales are not friends today!  Hrmph!
Thinking I probably shouldn't run the 5k this weekend - sigh - but I have entered the du the following weekend so I'd rather be ready for that!

Come and tell us how you are/ what you've been up to if you can!
2009-05-07 7:05 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning!

I took my daughter to the PCP yesterday and they ordered xrays,which were done last night. The Dr ordered results stat, so we should know this morning. I suspect it is a bad sprain, but we'll see.

I managed to get my new bike on the trainer for 30 minutes this AM! I definately need some adjustments, and will take it in next week to my favorite LBS.

Fruits/veggies yesterday:
 1 cup melon
 1 apple (with peanut butter!)
 1 pear
 1 large salad for dinner which was definately at least 2 servings.
 So, I managed 5 again yesterday!

But, on Tuesday, I only got in 3.

Every one have a great day! My 2 year old has decided it's time to potty train- so we're a little busy with that!

Jackie- I remember those pre-teen years! Hormones raging and a huge desire for more independence, really made for some tough days! I like 19 yo's much better than 12 yo's!
2009-05-07 7:49 AM

User image

Regular
Sick as well.  I hope we all feel better soon!

Heidi - let us know how your daughter is.  Awesome that you found some time with your bike - how does it feel?

I only got four servings of fruits and veggies in yesterday... shooting for five again today.  I think I'm going to go buy orange juice, among other things.  Laughs.  Orange juice being good for you when you're sick is an old wives' tale, right? 

Interesting question about the biking.  My addition is:  Why is it better for triathletes to bike sitting down?  Helps build the correct muscles?  I have a different predicament, specifically I can't really bike up a hill standing up.  I lose my balance.  My dad (who's biked for many years now) say's it's core strength, but that doesn't seem like the root of it to me. 

Rachel - a belated congrats on graduation!  You're free!  Give me a holler if you want to go for a shortish run this weekend or next.  I can't believe you have to move again in two months!

Feel better soon, everyone.
2009-05-07 7:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Well, I can't stay in bed with a 2 year old running around the house!
My plan today is green tea and Naked Mango juice.

For yesterday,
orange juice (3 servings)
banana (1 serving)
green beans (1 serving)
2 cups salad (2 servings)

Looks good. I need to pile on the antioxidants today.
I hope everyone is doing okay.

Jackie, rest that knee! I think skipping the 5k is a wise decision.
Ice if you can.

Dee

2009-05-07 8:23 AM
in reply to: #2135875

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Hello Ladies!
I feel slightly better this morning, but I slept in instead of going to the Y to lift. We'll see how I'm feeling after work. I did manage to get my five servings in yesterday:
1 cup watermelon
vegetable and potato soup
apricot
taco salad
1 cup pineapple
Heidi- Hope the x-rays are negative! Ankle sprains are no fun, I've had my share of those.
Jackie- Rest your knee up- when mine was acting up, it actually felt better after I swam, so maybe a thought?
Rachel- Congrats on graduation!
It's off to work for me- I am meeting one of my athletes from work at the doctor's office- then to work to interview a student, teach class, and cover soccer practice...I wish I could go back to bed...
Jenny
2009-05-07 10:35 AM
in reply to: #2135873

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
usagold - 2009-05-07 8:49 AM Sick as well. 

Orange juice being good for you when you're sick is an old wives' tale, right? 

Interesting question about the biking.  My addition is:  Why is it better for triathletes to bike sitting down?  Helps build the correct muscles?  I have a different predicament, specifically I can't really bike up a hill standing up.  I lose my balance.  My dad (who's biked for many years now) say's it's core strength, but that doesn't seem like the root of it to me. 

Oh no, not you too!  I'm sending healthy vibes to everyone - bzzzttttttzzzt!  Feel better soon.
Don't know about the old wives tale thing - got lots of vit C in which is good - and even if it's psychological benefit only, it's worth it!

I assume you're talking about just going up hills here on the bike question.  Sitting down and pedalling conserves more energy in general (hill or flat) cos you are supporting your body more.  So that's good hill or not!  We triathletes like that but more specifically if we stand too much then we are using a different mix of muscles and on standing they are more like the mix we use for running.  We want to save these for later.   Keeping a decently high cadence is good too as is more "energy efficient" and saves energy for our run later too.
Your balance thing sounds like it may be a bike handling thing.  How are you on cornering? Have you played around in a "safe place" (empty parking lot, driveway) and practiced standing there, going in and out or markers (can use any mark on ground or stones)?
2009-05-07 11:50 AM

User image

Expert
Cynthia, Dee, Di, and Jenny- I hope you all feel better soon!

Jackie- I hope your knee is healing.

The Dr. called with x-ray results this AM for my daughter....no breaks, just a sprain!
2009-05-07 12:04 PM

User image

Master
I think I'm on the mend today... but the gym did not confirm play space for my kids so the planets seemed aligned for me to take another day off.  I was thinking to swim and might still do that later today if the schedule allows.  One benefit of DH having jury duty is he is home earlier.  Nominally he should then do some work... but yesterday he took the kids to the pool.  We'll see if I can get a workout in today.

I did finish yesterday with a huge serving of stir fried veggies.  Today, so far, no fruit/veggie, just eggs and tea.

Hurrah for no broken bones - though sprains can also be a pain to heal.

I guess I should go shower since I won't utilize the gym facilities!  The kids seem happily engaged in airplane/train play.  They are pretend playing another trip to visit relatives.

wishing all a cootie-free day...
-Cynthia
2009-05-08 5:31 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning!

I hope everyone is feeling better today!
I managed to get another 45 minutes on the bike trainer last night. I put my old bike back on, and I felt sooo slow.

Fruits/veggies:
2 servings cantelope
1 red pear
1 apple
No Veggies-not even at dinner. We ran out of salad greens, and ordered Indian food I haven't had it in about a month, and it tasted soooo good.

2009-05-08 6:09 AM
in reply to: #2138040

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Good morning everyone.  I hope everyone is feeling much better today in time for the weekend.  I did well on my fruits and veg
2 servings of a blueberry/melon/strawberry mix
1 banana
2 servings salad (had a salad for lunch)
1 serving of veggies (onion, corn, on a homemade pizza)

With many of our group sick, I thought it might be useful to cover what to do about training when you are sick.  You can very easily go into a blind panic (mini or otherwise) when you miss a load of days training and think that you will never be able to complete your planned race now!  Well of course logic tells us that is nonsense but it is still a worry to many.

First of all, if you are feeling sick then your body is telling you something and you need to listen to it for the speediest recovery.  Having said that, when you are mildly sick only, some people use the general rule of "if you are sick neck upwards it is OK to do some training - keep it easy though".  If you are sick below the neck (eg chest/ breathing) then rest.

Do not try and make up the workouts you have missed.  Just move on and pick up where you left off.  You are not going to have lost all your hard earned fitness by taking a few days off.  Make the first workout or two easy though so you can gauge how you feel and ease back gently.

I can't stress too much how consistency is KEY to training.  Sometimes it is really hard to get back into it and very easy to slide further (this applies of course not only after being sick but when life gets in the way of training) and worry.   Just get back out there.  You will most likely feel really good, rejuvenated and motivated again after that first workout back.

Hopefully everyone will be feeling well enough to have  a great weekend of training. 
Have a great Friday everyone

Jackie
2009-05-08 8:57 AM
in reply to: #2138061

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI
Thanks Jackie for the advice! I think I finally turned the corner today. I woke up feeling better, just wish I had time to get a workout in today. Doesn't look promising though- I have to teach all day and then work a concession stand at the Brewers game tonight for a group at work. I wish I had the day to do whatever I wanted- it's gorgeous outside (I'd love to go out on the bike!), the Brewers play the Cubs tonight, and there's a ton going on around Milwaukee today (one of the finalists from American Idol is from here, so today is Danny Gokey Day- there's all sorts of parties, concerts, and stuff going on that actually sound like fun!). One more week and then semester is done- then I have time to get in all the training I want!
Hope everyone is having a great day!
Here's my fruits/veggies from yesterday:
apple
apricot
veggies in stirfry
cranberry juice
potatoes with dinner
Happy Friday!
Jenny
2009-05-08 2:21 PM

User image

Master
Happy lunchtime ladies-

I finished yesterday with a veggie-filled quiche, the leftovers made lunch today.  Add in some strawberries, OJ, avocado and I'm doing alright for both days.

I did make it to the gym this AM with hopes of a swim and bike.  After the 750 swim I felt a little wobbly and tired but rinsed and changed for the bike nonetheless, thinking I could take it easy on the bike.  Well.  Easy was 2.4 miles in 10 minutes and I called it done.  I was TIRED.  So I collected my DS and went to the grocery and collected DD and now sit at home with lunch digesting.  Hopefully I'll perk back up.  We'll see if I do a run this weekend...

I have a luncheon tea tomorrow with my mom, daughter, sister, and niece.  In some ways I wish my mom had just invited the adults, but hopefully the girls (age 4.25 and 4.9) will be delightful.  Sunday, who knows.  My Dh is not the best with "special days."

I hope all are doing better than me - though I am back in the water so getting better!

-Cynthia
2009-05-08 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
Hi everyone, I am feeling alot better today. The antibiotics must have been needed, because 36 hours after starting them I feel much better. Still a little bit of a lingering cough, so no workout for me today either.
We are packing up to go camping at the Great Sand Dunes this weekend (my Mother's Day treat!).
I am taking my running shoes and if all goes well, I'll head out for a 3-4 mile run this weekend. Nice and easy.

Jackie, thanks for the advice on working out/not working out when sick. It is so hard to remember that a few days off is okay. So that is my goal for this week: just blow off the workouts that I missed and stick to my plan. That plan is a short run this weekend (30 minutes) and a longer bike (90 minutes) when I get back home on Sunday.

Next week I am still in the "prep" period of my HIM training plan. The hours seem short to me, but I am sticking with the plan mostly.

I hope everyone else feels better also!

My fruits/veggies yesterday:
LOTS since I was feeling sick
orange juice (1 svg)
banana (1 svg)
taco salad (2 svg)
orange juice again (1 svg)
1 bottle Naked Mango smoothie (it claims 4 svgs total in one bottle)
green beans (1 svg)
That is 10 servings.. wow.

Dee
2009-05-08 5:22 PM

User image

Regular
Feeling better today as well.  Fruits and veggies so far today:

1.  1/2 c apple sauce
2.  1/2 c strawberries
3.  1 apple

not doing so well on the veggie end....

2009-05-09 7:11 AM

User image

Expert
Good morning!
In my mind, today starts a new training week, so I'm looking ahead now for training.

Yesterdays fruits/veggies:
2 servings melon (I always want more!!)
1 apple
1 pear
1 serving red bell pepper/ cucumbers

It's a struggle for me to get the veggies in, when I don't have salad greens. I'm so fussy about veggies- I really prefer them raw, and there aren't a lot of them that I like. I'm waiting for me peas and spinach that I planted to be ready.
2009-05-09 3:45 PM
in reply to: #2140219

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Sounds like many of us prefer fruits to veggies. I'm definitely one of them.  I got my 5 in yesterday (2 of 5 were salad so trying to get better on veggies).  I think focusing on it this week even if sometimes people didn't get the 5 in, just made us more aware and that's got to be good!

Anyone want to try something next week.  Some crunches, core work or strength or anything?

Glad to hear people feeling a bit better.  I rode our local sprint tri route with a couple of friends whose first tri it will be in June.  It hailed and poured and was very windy for parts of it.   Sun came out for the last bit which made it all OK.  If they can do the route (which is hilly) in those conditions they will have no trouble on race day!

Hope everyone is having a good weekend.
2009-05-10 9:00 AM
in reply to: #2140688

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Happy Mothers Day to all our mommies and to the mom's of our "not yet mommies".

I hope everyone has a wonderful day and takes some "mom/ my" time today - and hopefully that may include a swim or bike or run!

Jackie
2009-05-10 12:11 PM

User image

MA
Happy Mothers day ladies!!! Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I spent my morning volunteering at the New England Season Opener sprint triathlon. It was so much fun!! And definitely helped re-motivate me! Sorry i haven't been posting the past couple days again! I promise to try to be more consistent w/ this in the future!!!

Sunday
sad to report no fruits or veggies yet... need to go food shopping!

Saturday
2 servings - fruit from bolthouse farms juice
2 servings - large lunch salad
1 servings - small dinner side salad

Friday
1 servings - OJ (only one because OJ ran out)
1 servings - fruit from bolthouse farms juice
1-2 servings fruit - 1/2 banana, handful of black berries and applesauce
2 servings - green beans

Thursday
2 servings - OJ
1 servings - banana
1 servings - pear
1 servings - fruit from bolthouse farms juice

Wednesday
2 servings - OJ
1 servings - banana
1 servings - broccoli
(i did have 5 servings but i don't remember what I'm missing at the moment... must log daily!!)

did we want to add to our challenge or post a new challenge for the upcoming week?

-Rachel

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Jackjack's group - closed Rss Feed  

of 27