BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-01-05 10:03 PM
in reply to: #2557497

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
Subject: RE: KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED
Hola to all,

I finally uploaded the last few weeks of workouts... mostly runs. Tomorrow is bike day and swim Thursday. I just finally found something that I think will work as a foam roller. At least until I get one. Its a thick roll of plastic that you would use for packaging things, kind of like the plastic used at the airports for luggage. Its about the same diameter as the foam rollers I have seen, although its pretty hard and definitively torturous. I have never used a normal foam roller so I am not sure how hard they are. My ITB has been acting up a bit and it was definitively tender on the roller. I will ice it tonight and stretch and roll tomorrow after the bike.

Erin, nice that you enjoyed the swim and hope the hip gets better.

D- I would sell it, just cause I end up with a bunch of things I never use again and they just get trashed. I am sure someone out there will be very happy to have it and you can get a little extra cash for other toys.

Good night everyone,

G

2010-01-05 11:03 PM
in reply to: #2596300

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Big_D - 2010-01-05 6:00 PM

tnguyen1 - 2010-01-05 3:21 PM Great job everybody on starting the New Years with new goals and motivation.

Well, now that the holiday's are over it's time for me to get serious about my training again. The past few months have been fun partying, eating like crap and taking a "laissez faire" work-out attitude, but I'm beginning to feel the effects of it all. Also, I'm beginning to start the half marathon training where it begins to make me a little nervous with the ramp up in milage. I've never run past 5 miles ever and Karen is yelling at me that I need longer runs. Yell I've got a 4 mile run Thursday and 5 mile run on Saturday. Then next Saturday will be my first 6.2 mile run. Not gonna lie, a little nervous.

Today my hip flexors, shins, calves are tight (definately felt them yesterday on my 100 breaststroke) I've been stretching and rolling out my legs but maybe not enough b/c I'm still all sore and tight.

Let me know if you want some company on your 5 mile Saturday (at your pace, or I will pace you at whatever you want).  My training schedule says to run with friends at their pace and to tell Karen you ran farther and faster than you did.  And just think, you know I wouldn't yell at you like some people, hahahahha.  Andrea might be up for 5 also.

I haven't had much to say/ask...hhhmmmm let's see.... I have been enjoying getting back into the pool slowly and really looking forward to consistently start going again.  Going to start it off with lots of drills and get more efficient in the water this season, I actually got my stroke count under 10 the other week (but that was a lot of kicking going on).

Ok, came up with 2 questions.....Question 1....Keep it or Sell it??? Thinking about selling my road bike since my tri bike is a lot nicer and faster and haven't been on my road bike since I got the tri.....Question 2.....What are some good pool drills to swim straight in open water?  I swear my 1.2 swim was over 1.5...

Uh yeah... YOU need to run more! Hello... LONG RUNS Derek! LONG RUNS!

Since I know who you ride with and how you ride your bike... I say sell the roadie Derek.

Your problem is not needing to do drills to swim straight... your problem is crossing over your middle line when you swim. I think we discussed that last time we swam together? That's probably making you swim crooked. Also, how many strokes do you swim before you sight? Keep in mind that currents can make you swim crooked as well.

2010-01-05 11:09 PM
in reply to: #2594459

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
lovesreading - 2010-01-05 7:36 AM

KSH - 2010-01-03 4:52 PM  Great job on getting the training in! All right, I am looking at the book (pgs. 66/67 and pgs.142-145) to find an answer to your question. Before I can answer it though, I need to know what race you are using those training plans to train for... and why are you using both of those plans vs. just sticking with one? Is your race so far out one plan doesn't cover it?

Yes, my first race I'm looking at is mid-April.  Plus I'm looking at what I'll do through the summer race season, all sprints. 

The plan I'm using now is just a 12week plan that I started mid-Dec and don't need the last 2week taper, so I will finish it mid Feb.  I don't think I should just repeat it as it builds from 5min runs and 500yd swims.

So the 12 week plan you are using is the one on pgs. 66-67... right?

If that is the plan you are using right now... go through week 11 with it. The total workout time column does not reflect a two week taper on this plan, but a one week taper. For sprints you only taper one week.

I would go from week 11 on pg. 66-67 plan to the week 1 for the plan on pgs.142-145. Just go ahead and start with the lower volume on week 1 to give your body a short break. If you notice, week 2 is 3.5 hours. Which is similar to the total weekly workout times you had with the plan on pgs. 66-67.

The plan on pgs. 142-145 is 15 weeks. Since I don't know the exact date of your race... tell me if that will see you through to your race.

Hope that helped.
2010-01-05 11:12 PM
in reply to: #2596706

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
gerrydiego - 2010-01-05 10:03 PM

Hola to all,

I finally uploaded the last few weeks of workouts... mostly runs. Tomorrow is bike day and swim Thursday. I just finally found something that I think will work as a foam roller. At least until I get one. Its a thick roll of plastic that you would use for packaging things, kind of like the plastic used at the airports for luggage. Its about the same diameter as the foam rollers I have seen, although its pretty hard and definitively torturous. I have never used a normal foam roller so I am not sure how hard they are. My ITB has been acting up a bit and it was definitively tender on the roller. I will ice it tonight and stretch and roll tomorrow after the bike.

Erin, nice that you enjoyed the swim and hope the hip gets better.

D- I would sell it, just cause I end up with a bunch of things I never use again and they just get trashed. I am sure someone out there will be very happy to have it and you can get a little extra cash for other toys.

Good night everyone,

G

You were so smart finding that for a roller!

How about taking a thick towel and wrapping that around the plastic tube to make a little bit softer? I am sure you can find some way to keep the towel on the plastic tube... you seem smart.

Figured I would post this again... since it applies to this topic....

This is great information for everyone! About foam rolling!

My NASM (National Academy of Sports Medicine- where I am getting my personal certification from) book says the following about using self-myofascial release as a form of stretching:

By applying gentle force to an adhesion or "knot", the elastic muscle fibers are altered from a bundled position (that causes the adhesion) into a straighter alignment with the direction of the muscle of fascia. The gentle pressure (applied with implements such as a foam roller) will stimulate the Golgi tendon organ and create autogenic inhibition, decreasing muscle spindle excitation and releasing the hypertonicity of the underlying musculature.

It is crucial to not that when a person is using self-myofascial release he or she must find a tender spot and sustain pressure on that sport for a minimum of 20-30 seconds. It may take longer, depending on the client's ability to consciously relax.
2010-01-05 11:15 PM
in reply to: #2595896

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-05 3:21 PM

Great job everybody on starting the New Years with new goals and motivation.

Well, now that the holiday's are over it's time for me to get serious about my training again. The past few months have been fun partying, eating like crap and taking a "laissez faire" work-out attitude, but I'm beginning to feel the effects of it all. Also, I'm beginning to start the half marathon training where it begins to make me a little nervous with the ramp up in milage. I've never run past 5 miles ever and Karen is yelling at me that I need longer runs. Yell I've got a 4 mile run Thursday and 5 mile run on Saturday. Then next Saturday will be my first 6.2 mile run. Not gonna lie, a little nervous.

Today my hip flexors, shins, calves are tight (definately felt them yesterday on my 100 breaststroke) I've been stretching and rolling out my legs but maybe not enough b/c I'm still all sore and tight.

HHhhhuuuuummmmm here is what I said about your half marathon plan. And on a positive note, you are at least doing LONG runs... unlike someone else we know.

I am posting this because it might help some of our other half marathoners in the group.

Overall it looks pretty good.

Here are some comments off the bat:

I noticed that there doesn't seem to be 3 weeks build and one recovery. You might need to cut the 10K to achieve this.

Your longest run should be two weeks out from the half marathon. Right now, it's 3 weeks out. That's not going to work. That needs to change.

My half mary training plan (3 days a week) is 11 weeks and has the long runs as follows:
6 (recovery)
8 (recovery)
Half marathon
2010-01-06 12:24 AM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
So, I was reading on the forums... Karen, why were you only able to run a couple of steps on the IM? Injury or tired?

G

2010-01-06 12:51 AM
in reply to: #2596838

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
gerrydiego - 2010-01-06 12:24 AM

So, I was reading on the forums... Karen, why were you only able to run a couple of steps on the IM? Injury or tired?

G

Here you go.... http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp...

BIKE:
Maybe it was around this time (after 80 miles in) that my right Achilles tendon starting hurting pretty bad. Standing up to pedal up hills was no longer an option. I typically don't do this anyways, but it was nice to have another position to pedal in. The pain got to be too much though, so I kept my butt on the bike seat going up hills.
==========================
RUN:
I started to walk/run my first marathon ever! In fact, in training, the longest walk/run I had done was 15 miles. I was told this is common, so I had hope that I would make the entire 26.2 miles. My Coach told me to make it to mile 18 on the run, after that I would be good.

I had on Jonny's Garmin and had planned a 5/2 walk/run combo just like I had done in training many times (up to 15 miles).

I walked for 5 minutes focusing on a 13 minute mile. Then I started to run. OUCH! WOAH! Both Achilles tendons were hurting. PAIN! Not suffering, but pain.

All right, no problem, I just need to get loosened up and then it will work itself out. Walked some more and then tried to run again. Nope. Still very painful.

Time for Plan B. Walk the marathon. Walk it as fast as I can. I had taken a speed walking clinic (from the guy who coaches the Olympic team) in May, so I knew I could walk pretty fast. From training and what not I knew I could hold a 13 minute mile walking pretty easily.

2010-01-06 6:04 AM
in reply to: #2596810

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
KSH - 2010-01-06 12:09 AM  So the 12 week plan you are using is the one on pgs. 66-67... right? If that is the plan you are using right now... go through week 11 with it. The total workout time column does not reflect a two week taper on this plan, but a one week taper. For sprints you only taper one week. I would go from week 11 on pg. 66-67 plan to the week 1 for the plan on pgs.142-145. Just go ahead and start with the lower volume on week 1 to give your body a short break. If you notice, week 2 is 3.5 hours. Which is similar to the total weekly workout times you had with the plan on pgs. 66-67. The plan on pgs. 142-145 is 15 weeks. Since I don't know the exact date of your race... tell me if that will see you through to your race. Hope that helped.

Yep - that's the 12 week plan.  I put this on my calendar.  The Miami University tri is on 4/17 at the end of week 7  (the first week of pre-competitive 1 phase).  Week 6 is a rest week.  I'm thinking I'll do a double rest week 6.  It's a B race for me.

Last season I did about a race every month with the Mideast Regional Club finals being mid August.  Races I'm considering are 4/17 - end of double week 6, 5/29- end of week 12 (rest week), post plan - 7/11, 8/1 and the mid-August club regionals date TBD. plus probably throw in a 5k here and there, for fun, and maybe an adventure race with my older kids.
2010-01-06 6:09 AM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I went to the sports GP yesterday about my hip pain (after much nagging by husband).  The xray showed no bone damage and I don't have to stop training.  For more info, you can look at my log, if interested.  PT in my future, though, and I suspect I'm going to learn about foam rollers...

Erin - I'm going to skip the OSU indoor tri.  My daughter & friends decided they didn't want to spend $75 and late registration costs to go to the anime convention, but next year...
2010-01-06 6:12 AM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
I'm doing Weight Watchers for the last 10lbs.  I lost pre-tri with it and went back because it adjusts points with activity.  To early to tell for how it'll work for me long term.  So far I've lost without dire hunger pre-xmas, indulged over the holidays and gained it back, and just starting over again...

adding in WW username:  loves.tri - if you're on WW, add me as a friend, we can encourage each other there too.  There is at least one tri group that I've found that posts daily in the fitness challenge boards.

Edited by lovesreading 2010-01-06 6:14 AM
2010-01-06 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2596915

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
lovesreading - 2010-01-06 6:09 AM I went to the sports GP yesterday about my hip pain (after much nagging by husband).  The xray showed no bone damage and I don't have to stop training.  For more info, you can look at my log, if interested.  PT in my future, though, and I suspect I'm going to learn about foam rollers...

Erin - I'm going to skip the OSU indoor tri.  My daughter & friends decided they didn't want to spend $75 and late registration costs to go to the anime convention, but next year...

Glad that you can still train, good luck with it and be careful. It sucks training with a nagging injury. Good for you for going to the Dr.

2010-01-06 9:35 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Addison
Derek-

1.)sell the bike if you really don't use it. That $$ can go towards race fees, new gear, ect.
2.)I agree with Karen and I also said the same thing when we swam about crossing your midline. (You must have a hearing problem Wink) I have the same issue, and it starts with your hand entry. Swim wide (hand entry at shoulder level, not head level where we tend to enter) and be careful of bringing your pull close to your midline under water while doing the "S" motion.

Karen-when I have a free moment I will be revising the run plan so there are build blocks and recovery as you advised.

Ok 2 questions.

1.) I really want to train smarter this year, quality vs quantity. I'm thinking of getting Vo2 testing done. Has anybody else done this and what are your thoughts?

2.) Ok, on my 1/2 mary plan it has me running 4 X a week, but honestly my legs hurt from doing 3 miles Mon and 3 miles Tues. As I mentioned earlier I have a 4 mile run planned tom Thursday, and then 5 on Saturday. As I posted earlier, this is where I get nervous b/c I haven't done more than 5 miles before and next week is: 3, 4, 5, 6. I'm thinking of dropping a run, but what do I do in it's place? Walk? Spread out the milage?
2010-01-06 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2597433

User image

Veteran
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-06 9:35 AM Derek-

1.)sell the bike if you really don't use it. That $$ can go towards race fees, new gear, ect.
2.)I agree with Karen and I also said the same thing when we swam about crossing your midline. (You must have a hearing problem Wink) I have the same issue, and it starts with your hand entry. Swim wide (hand entry at shoulder level, not head level where we tend to enter) and be careful of bringing your pull close to your midline under water while doing the "S" motion.

Karen-when I have a free moment I will be revising the run plan so there are build blocks and recovery as you advised.

Ok 2 questions.

1.) I really want to train smarter this year, quality vs quantity. I'm thinking of getting Vo2 testing done. Has anybody else done this and what are your thoughts?

2.) Ok, on my 1/2 mary plan it has me running 4 X a week, but honestly my legs hurt from doing 3 miles Mon and 3 miles Tues. As I mentioned earlier I have a 4 mile run planned tom Thursday, and then 5 on Saturday. As I posted earlier, this is where I get nervous b/c I haven't done more than 5 miles before and next week is: 3, 4, 5, 6. I'm thinking of dropping a run, but what do I do in it's place? Walk? Spread out the milage?

I would spend the money for the VO2 testing on a Sports Physical Therapist (or the like) and have them analyze your run and see if there are some biomechanical things going on causing you these pains and problems.  To me, the VO2 is an advanced step in the process and running without pain should be a fundamental first step.  I know someone that would be awesome to go see, and I know Karen also has a referral for this sort of thing that she has personally used too.

I know I know, and I am working on widening the stroke, as you are finding out, I will ask the same thing 3 or 4 times before it clicks, haha.  Yes, I am thinking that selling it is probably better than letting it collect dust and continue to decline in value.
2010-01-06 10:42 AM
in reply to: #2597433

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-06 9:35 AM

Derek-

Ok 2 questions.

Well Tania, I would suggest that you switch to the half mary training plan I sent you.

You can train for a half mary on 3 days a week and not get injured. I know for me, I need one rest day between runs... and when I do that it works very well.

4x a week is great... if you are a strong runner with a solid background and no running injuries.

But if you are going to use the plan you are currently using... just drop the 3 miler. My plan doesn't have anything below 3.5 miles... so I would say if you are going to drop something... drop the shortest of the 4.

AND... just drop it. Go swim, ride, etc. Or rest.

2010-01-06 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2596820

User image

Veteran
KSH - 2010-01-05 11:15 PM
tnguyen1 - 2010-01-05 3:21 PM Great job everybody on starting the New Years with new goals and motivation.

HHhhhuuuuummmmm here is what I said about your half marathon plan. And on a positive note, you are at least doing LONG runs... unlike someone else we know. I am posting this because it might help some of our other half marathoners in the group.

Wow....I love you guys!! This is fun. lol
2010-01-06 10:43 AM
in reply to: #2597682

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Big_D - 2010-01-06 10:37 AM

Ok 2 questions.

I would spend the money for the VO2 testing on a Sports Physical Therapist (or the like) and have them analyze your run and see if there are some biomechanical things going on causing you these pains and problems.  To me, the VO2 is an advanced step in the process and running without pain should be a fundamental first step.  I know someone that would be awesome to go see, and I know Karen also has a referral for this sort of thing that she has personally used too.

I know I know, and I am working on widening the stroke, as you are finding out, I will ask the same thing 3 or 4 times before it clicks, haha.  Yes, I am thinking that selling it is probably better than letting it collect dust and continue to decline in value.

Back in 2007 I worked with a run coach who helped me change my running form to work on pain I had from running.

He's in Dallas, TX.

I used Ambrose Coleman and Jonny used him as well. http://www.modernfitness.org/

2010-01-06 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2596913

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
lovesreading - 2010-01-06 6:04 AM

KSH - 2010-01-06 12:09 AM  So the 12 week plan you are using is the one on pgs. 66-67... right? If that is the plan you are using right now... go through week 11 with it. The total workout time column does not reflect a two week taper on this plan, but a one week taper. For sprints you only taper one week. I would go from week 11 on pg. 66-67 plan to the week 1 for the plan on pgs.142-145. Just go ahead and start with the lower volume on week 1 to give your body a short break. If you notice, week 2 is 3.5 hours. Which is similar to the total weekly workout times you had with the plan on pgs. 66-67. The plan on pgs. 142-145 is 15 weeks. Since I don't know the exact date of your race... tell me if that will see you through to your race. Hope that helped.

Yep - that's the 12 week plan.  I put this on my calendar.  The Miami University tri is on 4/17 at the end of week 7  (the first week of pre-competitive 1 phase).  Week 6 is a rest week.  I'm thinking I'll do a double rest week 6.  It's a B race for me.

Last season I did about a race every month with the Mideast Regional Club finals being mid August.  Races I'm considering are 4/17 - end of double week 6, 5/29- end of week 12 (rest week), post plan - 7/11, 8/1 and the mid-August club regionals date TBD. plus probably throw in a 5k here and there, for fun, and maybe an adventure race with my older kids.

Well I would suggest that you do week 6 as laid out... and then do week 7... but put the Fri/Sat/Sun workouts towards race day. Rest the day before/after the race. Otherwise, do 1 swim, 1 run, 1 bike that week. If you do that, you end up with the same amount of training time as you have in week 6 (that time does not include the race).

Tapering for a sprint race... shouldn't be all that much... if any at all... especially for a B race.

2010-01-06 10:50 AM
in reply to: #2597697

User image

Veteran
KSH - 2010-01-06 10:42 AM

Ok 2 questions.

Well Tania, I would suggest that you switch to the half mary training plan I sent you. You can train for a half mary on 3 days a week and not get injured. I know for me, I need one rest day between runs... and when I do that it works very well. 4x a week is great... if you are a strong runner with a solid background and no running injuries. But if you are going to use the plan you are currently using... just drop the 3 miler. My plan doesn't have anything below 3.5 miles... so I would say if you are going to drop something... drop the shortest of the 4. AND... just drop it. Go swim, ride, etc. Or rest.

I have to agree with Karen on this one, ok fine, yes I said it, Karen is right.    I know that I don't want to run on back to back days while I am building my base back up, there is no way my legs could take it.  If I have to, I would run on the first day during the AM and on the second day in the PM if possible.  Once you have a good solid base without the soreness and nagging pains, then bump up your days if you want to.
2010-01-06 10:53 AM
in reply to: #2596915

User image

Veteran
lovesreading - 2010-01-06 6:09 AM I went to the sports GP yesterday about my hip pain (after much nagging by husband).  The xray showed no bone damage and I don't have to stop training.  For more info, you can look at my log, if interested.  PT in my future, though, and I suspect I'm going to learn about foam rollers...

Glad you recognized the issue and are going to treat it before you have any significant problems.

Edited by Big_D 2010-01-06 10:55 AM
2010-01-06 11:23 AM

User image

Regular
Hi everyone. I'm sitting home for my 5th snow day of the year already and winter is only starting. Luckily there's a treadmill in my building at least, it doesn't look like I will be venturing out for a while. I did day two of the couch to 5k plan which i'm trying to integrate into one of the BT sprint plans. It's so tough--I know that I am lucky to be even trying to run again, but it's difficult to know if I'm moving too slow or if I need to hold back. I love and miss running so incredibly much that it is hard not to want to crank the treadmill up and run hard, but at the same time every little creak and ache in my knee freaks me out and I feel like I should stop even though I know there will be some soreness simply from trying to run after such a long break. I guess I'll figure it out...
2010-01-06 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2597730

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Big_D - 2010-01-06 8:50 AM
KSH - 2010-01-06 10:42 AM

Ok 2 questions.

Well Tania, I would suggest that you switch to the half mary training plan I sent you. You can train for a half mary on 3 days a week and not get injured. I know for me, I need one rest day between runs... and when I do that it works very well. 4x a week is great... if you are a strong runner with a solid background and no running injuries. But if you are going to use the plan you are currently using... just drop the 3 miler. My plan doesn't have anything below 3.5 miles... so I would say if you are going to drop something... drop the shortest of the 4. AND... just drop it. Go swim, ride, etc. Or rest.

I have to agree with Karen on this one, ok fine, yes I said it, Karen is right.    I know that I don't want to run on back to back days while I am building my base back up, there is no way my legs could take it.  If I have to, I would run on the first day during the AM and on the second day in the PM if possible.  Once you have a good solid base without the soreness and nagging pains, then bump up your days if you want to.

Yup, I agree too. I'm 5 weeks out from my first half marathon and I only run 3x a week and it is working great. Short runs are on Tues and Thurs so I get a day of rest in between and my long run is on Sun. I ride the trainer on Mon and Sat (easy to save my legs) and try to swim on Fri with Wed being my rest day. I'm up this week to 4.5 miles for my short runs and 8 miles for my long run and so far so good. I think I'm performing much better than I would be if I tried to run 4x a week.

2010-01-06 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2597833

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
TritoTeach - 2010-01-06 11:23 AM

Hi everyone. I'm sitting home for my 5th snow day of the year already and winter is only starting. Luckily there's a treadmill in my building at least, it doesn't look like I will be venturing out for a while. I did day two of the couch to 5k plan which i'm trying to integrate into one of the BT sprint plans. It's so tough--I know that I am lucky to be even trying to run again, but it's difficult to know if I'm moving too slow or if I need to hold back. I love and miss running so incredibly much that it is hard not to want to crank the treadmill up and run hard, but at the same time every little creak and ache in my knee freaks me out and I feel like I should stop even though I know there will be some soreness simply from trying to run after such a long break. I guess I'll figure it out...

WOW that totally sucks! Hang in there! I hate cold and snow. Even Dallas has been oddly cold this time of year. It's miserable.

Hey, at least you can run on the treadmill.

It's scary getting back to running and figuring out what is safe and not safe for your body to do. I would say just go slow for a good month. Build a base and acclimatize your body to running again. As you start to feel stronger... up the speed. And remember you can up the speed for 30 seconds - 1 minute and then ease back down. That way you body can start to get use to running faster as well.

Hang in there and feel your way through it.

2010-01-06 12:53 PM
in reply to: #2597833

User image

Veteran
TritoTeach - 2010-01-06 11:23 AM Hi everyone. I'm sitting home for my 5th snow day of the year already and winter is only starting. Luckily there's a treadmill in my building at least, it doesn't look like I will be venturing out for a while. I did day two of the couch to 5k plan which i'm trying to integrate into one of the BT sprint plans. It's so tough--I know that I am lucky to be even trying to run again, but it's difficult to know if I'm moving too slow or if I need to hold back. I love and miss running so incredibly much that it is hard not to want to crank the treadmill up and run hard, but at the same time every little creak and ache in my knee freaks me out and I feel like I should stop even though I know there will be some soreness simply from trying to run after such a long break. I guess I'll figure it out...
I missed most of last season due to a knee injury, so I feel your pain and understand the guessing and not knowing. 

Here is my random thought on this....Pick a distance and a speed and then see how your body reacts the following few days.  Then do the same distance and speed again.  See how your body reacts.  If it feels "right" to you after a few times, increase either the speed or distance....and follow this and step up speed and distance over time.  At first, the workouts aren't meant for a run workout, merely testing the knee.  Once you build up confidence through the tests, then start working on an actual run workout.

Something that I tried.....I went to a Physical Therapist that I knew, he had a cool treadmill that actually supports your weight while you run on the treadmill.  You can have it take a few pounds, all the way up to all your weight.  He says this is great to come back from a knee injury.  Of course, I just wanted to see how fast I could go at my High School weight, no wonder I could run like the wind back then...haha
2010-01-07 10:54 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Hello everyone!

How is the training coming along?

I am working on weights for cycling... running and cycling!

My butt is so sore from the cycling... gotta break my butt back in!

OH and I might not have a job after all. Feel free to read my Log for details.

2010-01-07 11:29 AM
in reply to: #2600293

User image

Master

KSH - 2010-01-07 10:54 AM Hello everyone! How is the training coming along? I am working on weights for cycling... running and cycling! My butt is so sore from the cycling... gotta break my butt back in! OH and I might not have a job after all. Feel free to read my Log for details.

Training is going pretty well.  I'm working on weightloss more consistently now also.  Lost 3 lb since the 1st

Running is ok.  Lots of little aches and pains here and there in the legs.   I got on my bike (on the trainer) for the first time in awhile the other day...definately have to break the butt in again.  It was unhappy for sure after only 25 minutes!

Good luck with the job hunting...it can be so frustrating! 

Edited by crews 2010-01-07 11:29 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KSH's Mentor Group! Let's do this! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27