BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 17

2010-01-24 12:02 PM
in reply to: #2571242

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Subject: RE: Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL
So I rode outside yesterday, 2nd time this year.  I rode alone, no one wanted to ride in the cold.  I toughed it out, but the 2nd half of my ride was miserable.  It was cold, and despite the 2nd half being faster in normal conditions, the wind was so bad I was barely crawling along at times.  I was so done when I got back home.  But also very glad I didn't give up and call my husband for a ride home.

After biking we went rock climbing with some friends to a really cool local indoor warehouse full of walls of varying difficulty levels.  I'm not very good, not much upper body strength, but I had so much fun and can't wait to go again.

Today I ran in the slight rain.  Not too bad, and no wind.

Great weekend of workouts - how about everyone else?  What did you all do?  Anything fun?

2010-01-24 12:20 PM
in reply to: #2631628

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-01-24 12:02 PM So I rode outside yesterday, 2nd time this year.  I rode alone, no one wanted to ride in the cold.  I toughed it out, but the 2nd half of my ride was miserable.  It was cold, and despite the 2nd half being faster in normal conditions, the wind was so bad I was barely crawling along at times.  I was so done when I got back home.  But also very glad I didn't give up and call my husband for a ride home.

After biking we went rock climbing with some friends to a really cool local indoor warehouse full of walls of varying difficulty levels.  I'm not very good, not much upper body strength, but I had so much fun and can't wait to go again.

Today I ran in the slight rain.  Not too bad, and no wind.

Great weekend of workouts - how about everyone else?  What did you all do?  Anything fun?

Hey Karen,
the rock climbing sounds like fun. I  have always wanted to do it, but we don't have anywhere around here to go.  My first Master's swim class was Friday morning.  In a class of about 40 I was in the  beginner lane with 3 others.  I made 1000 yds during the class which I was proud of.  The workout for the day was about 3500 yds.  The other 3 in my lane looked like experts.  Including the 60 yr old woman that was wearing me out.  I'm ok, but my ankle flexibility is poor and my legs are definitely dragging.  I couldn't do the kick drills, because I just didn't go anywhere.  My breathing would be ok, and I'm comfortable breathing every 3 or 5 strokes, but I haven't been able to get to where I'm only breathing in while turning to breathe.  For some reason I can't get air out under the water, I feel like I need to breathe out when I come out of the water to breathe in.  Any suggestions?
I went yesterday for a quick swim before my workout to work on it.  I made about 400 yds but don't think I improved any of my breathing, but I can tell I'm getting more comfy in the water.

My legs are a llittle sore from my leg workout on Friday.  I'm supposed to go to spin class today at 3, but am wondering if it will make my legs more tired, or work some of the soreness out?

What do you guys think? Keep in mind I have swim at 5:30 tomorrow morning.
2010-01-24 12:35 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Master's will get easier.  You'll be moving up a lane before you know it.  On the breathing out and in when head out, I don't have any suggestions.  I fortunately blow out air under water and when my head comes out I'm inhaling as much as my lungs can hold.  A friend of mine does what you do and she's been slowing making progress with just consciously thinking about blowing out under water.  You'll get there.  Just keep going and putting in the time.

On the spin, I think you should go.  You can always back off the tension if the instructor is on a mission to tear up your legs.  I think it will make your legs feel better if you go spin for an hour.  It always makes me feel better.

The climbing was fun.  I had no idea we even had a place like that around here, but our friends are hard core climbers outside and discovered this place indoors.  You might google for places around where you live, you might be surprised what's around.
2010-01-24 12:46 PM
in reply to: #2631675

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-01-24 12:35 PM Master's will get easier.  You'll be moving up a lane before you know it.  On the breathing out and in when head out, I don't have any suggestions.  I fortunately blow out air under water and when my head comes out I'm inhaling as much as my lungs can hold.  A friend of mine does what you do and she's been slowing making progress with just consciously thinking about blowing out under water.  You'll get there.  Just keep going and putting in the time.

On the spin, I think you should go.  You can always back off the tension if the instructor is on a mission to tear up your legs.  I think it will make your legs feel better if you go spin for an hour.  It always makes me feel better.

The climbing was fun.  I had no idea we even had a place like that around here, but our friends are hard core climbers outside and discovered this place indoors.  You might google for places around where you live, you might be surprised what's around.

Thanks!  I really wanted to go, but wanted someone else to say so, so that I could mentally justify it   As for finding a place around here, I live in Bham, which I hate!  In the few years I've been out of school, I've lived in KC, Dallas, Atlanta, NY, Charlotte, and i'm pretty sure Birmingham is the antithesis of those places (except KC - hated the midwest too).   I grew up in Alabama and always said I would never move to Birmingham.  Well, the Bank I worked for in Charlotte was based in Bham and when they said I was coming back, there wasn't much I could do in this economy.  Anyway, I say that to say that Birmingham has very limited options when it comes to doing anything.  I'll ask around though.

Btw, I have several fraternity brothers from Alpharetta.  We also have a lot of family in Hoschton, GA, up around Buford, which i'm sure you're familiar with. 
2010-01-24 1:42 PM
in reply to: #2631694

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
I'm at a loss for words.
I prayed this was not true, but as I continued reading, I discovered it was no joke.

At your own peril:
http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=150441&start=1
2010-01-25 9:33 AM
in reply to: #2630224

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

spyguy7540 - 2010-01-23 8:18 AM Awesome weather for a ride sesh! Enjoy it, Even when it warms up here during the winter the roads are still a salty sandy nightmare. The bike will most likley stay on the trainer until April here. I got the the Y this morning to work on some swim drills. In case I havnt mentioned it, I am pretty much at square one in the swimming game. I am a total beginner triathlete, havnt completed one. Duathlons yes....triathlons no. I am that guy who shows up to pick up the race packet for my duathlon and makes a face like I smell sour milk when I see the table to swim caps for the triathletes. lol. Drills went ok I guess, doesnt help that I was swimming at the same time as a Master's swim group and kept getting moved out of my lane to make room for people who could actually swim. lol Lady runnin the masters group asked me if I wanted to participate and I said "As soon as I master this chest down butt up thing I'll join in." Lol. Worked on that and did some side swimming drills. Trying like hell to find my balance in the water. Still cant really get more than 100 yards without a break. It's pityful. But I'm not going to get discouraged, everyone starts somewhere and even those masters guys worked on chest down butt up at some point. Good news is the first two sprint tri's I signed up for this season are pool swims so I can ease myself into it. Anyway, going to try to get to the pool again tommorow for a bit as long as I can get this soreness in my neck under control. Hope you all have a great day. Taking my little guys sledding today so I have some hill climbing ahead of me.

Well, spoke to soon about the weather.  There is something seriously depressing about being on the 27 cog and struggling to go 7 mph... on flat ground.  There were steady winds of 15-20 mph the entire way and gusts up to 35-40, plus most of my ride is next to the water of a huge reservoir.  Those winds coming off the water were miserable.  Seems like I always forget about the lake winds this time of year.  It only took one ride to put me back in my place. I guess that's the price I pay for having something as awesome as the Natchez Trace to ride on all the time.  Of course, anyone who rides it down here will tell you that if the wind is in your face on the way out, and it will be... don't get to excited about coming back in, because the wind is still gonna be in your face.

As for your swimming, just float.  Yep, just get in the water and try to float with your arms straight out and your legs straight behind you.  When you've got that, start kicking.  Doesn't matter how slow you go.  Just keep those legs straight, but not locked.  The biggest problem I see with new or inexperienced swimmers is they kick from the knee down.  Ya kick from the hips, and the leg remains relaxed but straight.  When those knees bend, your back end sinks, you start kicking harder, but you don't go faster, and yet you burn more oxygen, then it feels like you can't breathe, and therefore you have to stop all the time in total exhaustion.

It's sort of like crawling before you walk.  Get balanced, get kicking, get stroking, now you're swimming.

2010-01-25 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2631694

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-01-24 12:46 PM

Thanks!  I really wanted to go, but wanted someone else to say so, so that I could mentally justify it   As for finding a place around here, I live in Bham, which I hate!  In the few years I've been out of school, I've lived in KC, Dallas, Atlanta, NY, Charlotte, and i'm pretty sure Birmingham is the antithesis of those places (except KC - hated the midwest too).   I grew up in Alabama and always said I would never move to Birmingham.  Well, the Bank I worked for in Charlotte was based in Bham and when they said I was coming back, there wasn't much I could do in this economy.  Anyway, I say that to say that Birmingham has very limited options when it comes to doing anything.  I'll ask around though.

Btw, I have several fraternity brothers from Alpharetta.  We also have a lot of family in Hoschton, GA, up around Buford, which i'm sure you're familiar with. 

Regions Bank I'm guessing?  Sucks you couldn't stay up in Charlotte.  My sister used to live there, and I loved going up there. 

As for your breathing, grab the wall with both hands and start kicking.  Put your head under, breathe out, lift your head out, breathe in, put your head under, breathe out... and so on.

It won't much help your rotation on your breath or anything like that, but it'll get you used to exhaling under water.

2010-01-25 10:15 AM
in reply to: #2633032

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-01-25 9:43 AM

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-01-24 12:46 PM

Regions Bank I'm guessing?  Sucks you couldn't stay up in Charlotte.  My sister used to live there, and I loved going up there. 

As for your breathing, grab the wall with both hands and start kicking.  Put your head under, breathe out, lift your head out, breathe in, put your head under, breathe out... and so on.

It won't much help your rotation on your breath or anything like that, but it'll get you used to exhaling under water.

I work for BBVA Compass.  When BBVA bought us they shut down the LPOs.  I ended up with a better job though.  Yeah, I loved Charlotte.   There was always something to do and they have 4 legitimate seasons.  As opposed to Birmingham that has 2, summer and Winter.  Its not much of a singles town either.  I'm swimming tonight so I'll definitely try that.  Thanks!

2010-01-25 3:42 PM
in reply to: #2633007

User image

New user
sesh - 2010-01-25 9:33 AM

spyguy7540 - 2010-01-23 8:18 AM Awesome weather for a ride sesh! Enjoy it, Even when it warms up here during the winter the roads are still a salty sandy nightmare. The bike will most likley stay on the trainer until April here. I got the the Y this morning to work on some swim drills. In case I havnt mentioned it, I am pretty much at square one in the swimming game. I am a total beginner triathlete, havnt completed one. Duathlons yes....triathlons no. I am that guy who shows up to pick up the race packet for my duathlon and makes a face like I smell sour milk when I see the table to swim caps for the triathletes. lol. Drills went ok I guess, doesnt help that I was swimming at the same time as a Master's swim group and kept getting moved out of my lane to make room for people who could actually swim. lol Lady runnin the masters group asked me if I wanted to participate and I said "As soon as I master this chest down butt up thing I'll join in." Lol. Worked on that and did some side swimming drills. Trying like hell to find my balance in the water. Still cant really get more than 100 yards without a break. It's pityful. But I'm not going to get discouraged, everyone starts somewhere and even those masters guys worked on chest down butt up at some point. Good news is the first two sprint tri's I signed up for this season are pool swims so I can ease myself into it. Anyway, going to try to get to the pool again tommorow for a bit as long as I can get this soreness in my neck under control. Hope you all have a great day. Taking my little guys sledding today so I have some hill climbing ahead of me.

Well, spoke to soon about the weather.  There is something seriously depressing about being on the 27 cog and struggling to go 7 mph... on flat ground.  There were steady winds of 15-20 mph the entire way and gusts up to 35-40, plus most of my ride is next to the water of a huge reservoir.  Those winds coming off the water were miserable.  Seems like I always forget about the lake winds this time of year.  It only took one ride to put me back in my place. I guess that's the price I pay for having something as awesome as the Natchez Trace to ride on all the time.  Of course, anyone who rides it down here will tell you that if the wind is in your face on the way out, and it will be... don't get to excited about coming back in, because the wind is still gonna be in your face.

As for your swimming, just float.  Yep, just get in the water and try to float with your arms straight out and your legs straight behind you.  When you've got that, start kicking.  Doesn't matter how slow you go.  Just keep those legs straight, but not locked.  The biggest problem I see with new or inexperienced swimmers is they kick from the knee down.  Ya kick from the hips, and the leg remains relaxed but straight.  When those knees bend, your back end sinks, you start kicking harder, but you don't go faster, and yet you burn more oxygen, then it feels like you can't breathe, and therefore you have to stop all the time in total exhaustion.

It's sort of like crawling before you walk.  Get balanced, get kicking, get stroking, now you're swimming.

Thanks for the advice sesh. I truley to appreciate it. I think I will get to the pool tommorow and do some floating. lol
=)
2010-01-25 8:08 PM

User image

New user
Learned something I didnt know today. I had no idea I should be concerned about flat tires on my bike trainer. Back tire went today and I reinflated and it seems to have a slow leak. I'm sure it has to be unusual. I can understand getting flat on the road, but on a trainer? lol Anyway, the super newb here has not the tools, the tube nor the knowledge to fix the darn thing, but hey this is a great oppurtunity to get down to my LBS and get the tool, the tube and the knowledge. I was going to have to learn sometime, and preferebly before I flat during a race. I figure I will pick up a portable pump and a good bike bag while I am at it. So much for getting in a good spin tonight. lol

2010-01-25 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2634319

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Back in the pool tonight.  I went 1,050 yds in 50 yd intervals.   I was in the water for about 55 minutes total.  My lower body activity is poor in every technical aspect as is my stroke.  Oh, and my breathing.  I worked on my breathing and my stroke as best I could.  I got a "little" better.  I think better only because it couldn't have been any worse.  I'm contemplating getting some real lessons coupled with the masters class, because I think I'm so bad that I won't be getting the full benefits of the class until I get better.  The excessively overweight lifeguard probably couldn't wait for me to leave.  A) I'm not so sure he could move quickly enough to get to anybody had they gotten in trouble, and B) I don't know if he could physically do it.  I was there for nearly an hour and I never saw him move.  He may not of even been real person...

2010-01-26 6:52 AM
in reply to: #2634319

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

spyguy7540 - 2010-01-25 8:08 PM Learned something I didnt know today. I had no idea I should be concerned about flat tires on my bike trainer. Back tire went today and I reinflated and it seems to have a slow leak. I'm sure it has to be unusual. I can understand getting flat on the road, but on a trainer? lol Anyway, the super newb here has not the tools, the tube nor the knowledge to fix the darn thing, but hey this is a great oppurtunity to get down to my LBS and get the tool, the tube and the knowledge. I was going to have to learn sometime, and preferebly before I flat during a race. I figure I will pick up a portable pump and a good bike bag while I am at it. So much for getting in a good spin tonight. lol

Make sure they check the rim tape.  There's only three reasons I can think of for flatting on the trainer.  1)  Rim tape isn't on right and some spoke holes are exposed, or a pinch flat 2) Seriously, seriously, seriously over inflated... doubt this is the reason 3) There is something like shard of metal or glass on the interior of your tire.

I actually flatted for the first time in three years on my ride Saturday, which brings up another tip:  If you can take two CO2 cartridges, then do it... especially if it's been a while since you used it.  The first one went off in my inflator, but luckily I had two and got it to work. 

Edited by sesh 2010-01-26 8:37 AM
2010-01-26 4:31 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
On the flat tire from trainer - did you maybe ruin the tire?  One winter I was injured and couldn't run so I rode my bike in the basement all the time.  I ruined my tire with all the heat/friction, it was basically bald.  Looked ok to me, but when I took the bike in for service the guy said "oh, you've been riding your trainer huh?"  When I asked how did he know he answered "you cooked your tire".  Which will eventually lead to a flat.  Probably not your issue, because you'd probably notice it getting thin.  But what I ended up doing was buying a cheap wheel, cheap cassette and new tire and had them put together a trainer wheel for me.  When I use the trainer I swap the road wheel and tire for the trainer wheel.  Takes only a minute to swap out.  Even less if I convince my husband to do it for me!
2010-01-26 6:24 PM

User image

Regular

Hello everyone,

Good to see that there is a lot of posting and training going on.

I was unfortunatley a bit sidetracked by an ugly virus infection. Had the feeling that someone forgot some nails or knifes in my throat. As I eating was so painful I lost almost 2 kg.

Enough of the moaning. If not Karen will say that it is true that all ill men are whiners :-)

I will do a short trainer ride this evening to get back in the rhythm!

Take care

YouYou

2010-01-26 7:29 PM
in reply to: #2636158

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
YouYou - 2010-01-26 7:24 PM

Hello everyone,

Good to see that there is a lot of posting and training going on.

I was unfortunatley a bit sidetracked by an ugly virus infection. Had the feeling that someone forgot some nails or knifes in my throat. As I eating was so painful I lost almost 2 kg.

Enough of the moaning. If not Karen will say that it is true that all ill men are whiners :-)

I will do a short trainer ride this evening to get back in the rhythm!

Take care

YouYou

Wow, you know me well!

Glad you're feeling better now and ready to get back to training.
2010-01-26 7:37 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Sesh - you seem to know a lot about swimming.  I saw you posted to the thread about fins and kicking.

How does a person who is horrible at kicking get better?  I seem to barely move when only kicking.  I use to avoid kick sets, but now try to make a point of doing them.  I've read up on how you need to kick from the hips and do more of the kick downward vs. upward.  I think I've gotten a little better, but everyone else still passes me like I'm standing still.

Do fins make you better by building leg strength?  Or is it better to kick without and suffer through to get better?

I bought the blue zoomers years ago because someone recommended them to me, but I hardly go anywhere with those.  So I bought some other mid size ones that at least give me a good aerobic workout.  Should I start practicing on my own with the blue ones, will they make me a better kicker?

I'm looking for any suggestions, it's getting embarrassing in the pool.

2010-01-27 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2636251

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

karen26.2 - 2010-01-26 7:37 PM Sesh - you seem to know a lot about swimming.  I saw you posted to the thread about fins and kicking.

How does a person who is horrible at kicking get better?  I seem to barely move when only kicking.  I use to avoid kick sets, but now try to make a point of doing them.  I've read up on how you need to kick from the hips and do more of the kick downward vs. upward.  I think I've gotten a little better, but everyone else still passes me like I'm standing still.

Do fins make you better by building leg strength?  Or is it better to kick without and suffer through to get better?

I bought the blue zoomers years ago because someone recommended them to me, but I hardly go anywhere with those.  So I bought some other mid size ones that at least give me a good aerobic workout.  Should I start practicing on my own with the blue ones, will they make me a better kicker?

I'm looking for any suggestions, it's getting embarrassing in the pool.

It's sort of like the question how do I become a better biker.  Answer:  Ride lots.  In general, to become a better swimmer:  Swim lots.

Now for kicks...

I'll just start off and say who cares how fast you go in kick drills.  I've been #2 overall out of the water in a local sprint, top 10% in most area races, and top 20% overall in the New Orleans 70.3.  In the masters class I used to go to, I was the absolute dead last person by a wide margin for all our kick sets.  Reason being, at least the reason I think is accurate, is that in distance swimming (especially for tris) the legs are not used significantly for propulsion.  In a 50?  Hell yeah you kick your legs like your trying to beat sharks off you.  In a 500+ before you have to bike and run... not so much.

A strong kick in distance swimming doesn't mean your legs act like a propeller on a boat.  A strong kick in distance swimming means you efficiently use your lower half to maintain balance, stay streamlined, and to make sure you don't sap all that precious oxygen with wasted movements.

My kick drills were NEVER about getting faster with my kick.  It was all about strengthening my core and fine tuning my rhythm and rotation.  The fins simply served to add resistance and slow the entire process down so I could find flaws.  When I did basic on my stomach free kicks, I didn't use a kick board, I had my hands out in front, and I focused on my hips.  Was I rolling or was I rotating?  Was it from the hips or from the chest?  Am I bending my knees?  That sort of stuff.  Then, the majority of my kick sets were on the back, fly kicks, side kicks, on the back fly kicks, and on the side fly kicks.  Those are the sets were I felt my hips and core truly get thrashed.  They were purely for getting a strong core, which in turn made me a stronger swimmer with better form and position, which meant I wasted less energy, which made me faster and more prepared to hop on the bike.

Edited by sesh 2010-01-27 8:32 AM
2010-01-27 8:31 AM
in reply to: #2636251

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
Thought I would keep us on the front page this morning and post my swim workout.  I went to masters this morning-no coach.  I just swam laps in the beginner lane in between the other "beginner" guys sets.  My goal each day I swim is to go farther in a shorter time frame than the last time.  I thought that would be simple enough, and should help me build a little endurance until I get efficient enough to do the drills.  Some laps felt great others not so much.  I'm proud of my 1300 yards this morning.  I also was able to get in a few sets of 100 yards without taking too much of a break, though that final 25 yards was like a boat taking on water, all I could do to stay near the top of the water.  I'm doing the master class 3 times a week, and trying to go two more times a week for a shorter period to just add more time in the water.
2010-01-27 8:48 AM
in reply to: #2636912

User image

Champion
Brandon, MS

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-01-27 8:31 AM Thought I would keep us on the front page this morning and post my swim workout.  I went to masters this morning-no coach.  I just swam laps in the beginner lane in between the other "beginner" guys sets.  My goal each day I swim is to go farther in a shorter time frame than the last time.  I thought that would be simple enough, and should help me build a little endurance until I get efficient enough to do the drills.  Some laps felt great others not so much.  I'm proud of my 1300 yards this morning.  I also was able to get in a few sets of 100 yards without taking too much of a break, though that final 25 yards was like a boat taking on water, all I could do to stay near the top of the water.  I'm doing the master class 3 times a week, and trying to go two more times a week for a shorter period to just add more time in the water.

All this swimming talk is killing me since I'm sans pool at the moment  Granted, it's of my own accord, but at our tri club meeting last night, we found out that a deeeeep discount for pool only use may be in store at a local gym.  And it's the 20 something lane when set for 25, but can also be set up for long course pool.  I hope this thing comes through.

I'll give you this piece of advice... Do not worry about your time right now.  With beginner swimmers, the most important thing is finding proper form.  Slow it down, focus on your balance and form, and ease your way across the pool.  Stop... think about how it felt, did you notice anything glaringly wrong?  Usually you can.  Ok.... now go, for only 25 more, but focus on that one thing you know is wrong.  Stop... think about how it felt, did you notice anything glaringly wrong?  Usually you can.  Ok... now go, for only 25 more, but focus on that one thing you know is wrong.  Stop...

I'm repeating myself on purpose.  You have to learn how to swim properly before you can go and swim longer and swim faster.  You'll probably find that when you do learn to swim properly, you'll knock a huge chunk of time off and you'll be able to swim hundreds of yards more at a time.  It's not like cycling.  With that, you buy a bike, get fit, and start riding, then you ride more, and more, and more, and more.  Unfortunately, you can't just start from scratch, jump in the pool and swim more, and more, and more, and more, and more.  If you do what I mentioned above and it takes you an hour to do 500yds, 25yds at a time, then so be it.  That's probably better for a beginner swimmer than swimming poorly for 1500 yds.

Build your endurance on the bike.  When you get in the pool right now, get in with the goal of learning how to swim properly.  When that comes, and it will, then start pounding out the sets.

Edited by sesh 2010-01-27 8:50 AM
2010-01-27 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2636968

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
sesh - 2010-01-27 8:48 AM

GorgeousGeorge - 2010-01-27 8:31 AM Thought I would keep us on the front page this morning and post my swim workout.  I went to masters this morning-no coach.  I just swam laps in the beginner lane in between the other "beginner" guys sets.  My goal each day I swim is to go farther in a shorter time frame than the last time.  I thought that would be simple enough, and should help me build a little endurance until I get efficient enough to do the drills.  Some laps felt great others not so much.  I'm proud of my 1300 yards this morning.  I also was able to get in a few sets of 100 yards without taking too much of a break, though that final 25 yards was like a boat taking on water, all I could do to stay near the top of the water.  I'm doing the master class 3 times a week, and trying to go two more times a week for a shorter period to just add more time in the water.

All this swimming talk is killing me since I'm sans pool at the moment  Granted, it's of my own accord, but at our tri club meeting last night, we found out that a deeeeep discount for pool only use may be in store at a local gym.  And it's the 20 something lane when set for 25, but can also be set up for long course pool.  I hope this thing comes through.

I'll give you this piece of advice... Do not worry about your time right now.  With beginner swimmers, the most important thing is finding proper form.  Slow it down, focus on your balance and form, and ease your way across the pool.  Stop... think about how it felt, did you notice anything glaringly wrong?  Usually you can.  Ok.... now go, for only 25 more, but focus on that one thing you know is wrong.  Stop... think about how it felt, did you notice anything glaringly wrong?  Usually you can.  Ok... now go, for only 25 more, but focus on that one thing you know is wrong.  Stop...

I'm repeating myself on purpose.  You have to learn how to swim properly before you can go and swim longer and swim faster.  You'll probably find that when you do learn to swim properly, you'll knock a huge chunk of time off and you'll be able to swim hundreds of yards more at a time.  It's not like cycling.  With that, you buy a bike, get fit, and start riding, then you ride more, and more, and more, and more.  Unfortunately, you can't just start from scratch, jump in the pool and swim more, and more, and more, and more, and more.  If you do what I mentioned above and it takes you an hour to do 500yds, 25yds at a time, then so be it.  That's probably better for a beginner swimmer than swimming poorly for 1500 yds.

Build your endurance on the bike.  When you get in the pool right now, get in with the goal of learning how to swim properly.  When that comes, and it will, then start pounding out the sets.

Thanks for the advice!  Thats sort of what I'm doing.  Breathing is my main focus along with keeping my stroke a little more compact than an "outward looping" that I start out with.  I get overwhelmed if I try to do much more than that.  I'm trying to be as smooth as possible.  The time frame I mentioned was just taking shorter breaks between laps, not actual lap time.  I've noticed that on my smoother strokes I go a lot faster anyway.  When I get a big wave and from passing people in my lane thats when I catch water and then have to struggle to get back into a groove.  I have also decided to pony up the money and take lessons. 
2010-01-27 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Sesh - great info, thanks.  The other day at masters there were so many people that all the lanes had to circle swim.  So I was kind of forced to do the same drills as the other people in my lane.  For the kick sets I typically grab my kick board and try to kick to the other end and back.  The lane decided we needed to swim do several different kick drills - streamline, on our left side then right side, on our back, etc.  I tell you, my core (just as you say) was dying!  I'm glad we had to circle swim because it pushed me harder and also gave me some ideas of different drills I can do.  Drills that will help me tremendously.

2010-01-27 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
Did we lose Rochelle?
2010-01-27 8:02 PM
in reply to: #2638756

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-01-27 7:53 PM Did we lose Rochelle?

haha, thats what I was thinking.  I think there are only 4 of us hanging around.
2010-01-27 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2638777

User image

Master
Johns Creek, Georgia
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-01-27 9:02 PM

haha, thats what I was thinking.  I think there are only 4 of us hanging around.

I know, what happened to everyone?  And why do we keep falling to page 2?  That's never a good thing.
2010-01-27 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2638783

User image

Veteran
A van down by the river
karen26.2 - 2010-01-27 8:05 PM
GorgeousGeorge - 2010-01-27 9:02 PM

I know, what happened to everyone?  And why do we keep falling to page 2?  That's never a good thing.

I would say that everyone was avoiding us because we're all southerners, but that wouldn't explain YouYou's  presence.  Of course he is from another country so maybe he just doesn't know any better
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Wyld Hair On A Tangent Group -FULL Rss Feed  

of 17