BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Famelec Brian's Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 13

2010-03-18 10:07 AM
in reply to: #2577093

User image

Veteran
eastleigh
Subject: RE: Famelec Brian's Mentor Group - FULL

Hey All,  we seem to have gone a bit quiet on here, hope you are all very well and enjoying the spring training !!

Question, How much is too much ?

I have individual events this year in feb, mar, april, may and july, as follows:-

2010 Events

13 Feb - Southampton to Tun. Wells Cycle 92.5 miles 8hrs 16mins
21 Feb - Portsmouth Coastal Half Marathon - 1hr 49min 5secs
21 Mar - Eastleigh 10k
18 Apr - Winchester Fast Twitch (pool) Triathlon
23 May - Bexhill Sprint (sea) Triathlon
4 July - Bournemouth Olympic (sea) Triathlon

Do you think 1 event a month is too much ? I am thinking about filling in june, august and september with triathlons too.  I am worried I have not yet done one and may hate it, expecially the longer events with sea swims. Here in the UK race entrants is very limited and we need to sign up well in advance to get a space and i  am wondering should i bite the bullet and sign up for events in these 3 months too ?

As far as my year excluding sports events is planned, we expect to have a 2 week holiday from 11th july travelling europe and i am in vegas for my brothers stag weekend from 9th September for 5 nights.

How my mind works is that if i have something to aim for, i am focussed on fitness and taking care of myself, and i guess i am worried if i dont fill these months i may be setting myself back in my preperation for the next event. The last events here in the uk with outdoor swims are september time. 

I have found events on 14th august and 5th september i could do ? I am struggling to fund something in june at the moment.

My highlight event of the year so far is the bournemouth olympic and tharts my main focus. Any other events are a bonus.

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks

T

2010-03-19 11:43 AM
in reply to: #2733332

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Tiesim - 2010-03-18 10:07 AM

Hey All,  we seem to have gone a bit quiet on here, hope you are all very well and enjoying the spring training !!

I have individual events this year in feb, mar, april, may and july, as follows:-

2010 Events

21 Mar - Eastleigh 10k

Do you think 1 event a month is too much ? I am thinking about filling in june, august and september with triathlons too.  I am worried I have not yet done one and may hate it, expecially the longer events with sea swims. Here in the UK race entrants is very limited and we need to sign up well in advance to get a space and i  am wondering should i bite the bullet and sign up for events in these 3 months too ?

As far as my year excluding sports events is planned, we expect to have a 2 week holiday from 11th july travelling europe and i am in vegas for my brothers stag weekend from 9th September for 5 nights.

How my mind works is that if i have something to aim for, i am focussed on fitness and taking care of myself, and i guess i am worried if i dont fill these months i may be setting myself back in my preperation for the next event. The last events here in the uk with outdoor swims are september time. 

I have found events on 14th august and 5th september i could do ? I am struggling to fund something in june at the moment.

My highlight event of the year so far is the bournemouth olympic and tharts my main focus. Any other events are a bonus.

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks

T

T-

I don't think your schedule as it stands, especially with your current fitness level, is too much at all. I am doing something pretty much every two weeks...albeit sprints and olys and some modest stand alone events. Maybe you can fill in your schedule for stand alone events like your 10K.

As far as finding June events...we have a phenomenon here called the "shoulder season." What it means is that lots of small resort towns throughout the midwest love to host races in early summer and again in early fall...helps keep their hotel vacancies down...maybe if you search for triathlons by location (resorts)...you will have more luck finding June races...not all of ours are sanctioned events so they don't necessarily show up on all the calendars.

Q
2010-03-19 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Hey all, I just did a big blog post, but I thought I would throw it up here too. I feel bad I haven't posted more. It's been slow for all of us I guess. Love to hear how people are doing...

Here's the post:

OK, I've laid off the swim for two weeks and been trying not to sleep on my right shoulder...wakes me up when I have to tuck it in instead of having it stretched straight up under my ear toward the head of the bed (which also wakes me up...hurts). Sometimes I think the pain is from sleeping rather than swimming...

The tentative plan is to start back swimming with massively reduced distances and work really really hard on keeping form and increasing distance by minute increments. I still have the VO2 to swim a mile, just want to see if I can strengthen my shoulder before race time...if it gets better, great, I'm awesome. If it stays the same I'll still race this summer and maybe consult a sports medicine type. If it gets worse...we'll see...it definitely improved with rest, which is encouraging...

OTOH, my running is freaking me out...going to do another 4 mile run today...I seem to be well into the 7 minute realm at a comfortable zone 2 pace...may have to go to phase two with the run and actually do some speed work, drills, etc. I am amazed at the Newton effect. I don't think a pronator is going to make the kind of gains I have made, but for this already pretty neutral runner, something about them (less friction? Complementing my running style? What???) has (so far) increased my speed. I dropped my mileage down for the break in of the shoes, but I think I can safely go back up to 5-6 mile runs...I am not having any weird or new pain in my legs.

Cycling is also in a steep improvement mode. Joining this local team is going to be great for learning how to ride in groups and also learning about the different aspects of the discipline. I am already considering a time trial race in April...just for fun and experience. Sundays they have team computrainer rides. Last week I did a 20 minute Functional Threshold Power test...can't remember my exact numbers (it was kind of like a 5K...hard to pace so you end up trying to sprint the whole thing) but I was somewhere in the 170's for Functional Power. Not particularly attached to that number but it will be nice to be able to gauge any improvement I make in my cycling...also got his royal highness out in his carriage for a little lake front ride (it has been really nice here this week). I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun the trailer was...I definitely will be able to train with it...although you FEEL the wind (good and bad effects). But the important thing is that I can train with my kids...it will be fun for summertime too...can park at the zoo and ride them down to the museums...I hate parking down there.
2010-03-19 11:48 AM
in reply to: #2726066

User image

Expert
Albuquerque, New Mexico
croyston - 2010-03-14 9:50 PM

Well I survived my half-marathon.  My goal was to run a 10 min/mile pace, and that's what I ended up with.  Legs got tired after 9 or so miles, so did some walk / run combo for the last 4 miles.  I'm pretty happy with the results given my 10 days of during the middle of the training with my calf strain.

Looking forward to getting back on the bike and back into the pool.

Hey congrats (a bit late)...I HATE having sore calves...good job pressing on and getting it done!

Q
2010-03-19 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2733332

User image

Tiesim - 2010-03-18 9:07 AM

2010 Events

21 Mar - Eastleigh 10k

What are your thoughts ?

Thanks

T

That's a whole lot o' stuff T.  But it all looks really good to me.  I think it is a personal preference on planning to do an event in June.  Personally, I'd take the time for some recovery, and then hit back into the drills.  That's just me. Plus. . .don't you need to save your cash for Vegas?  :-)

Currently, I am scheduled for Tri 30 days from today (pool).  Signed up for a sprint in June (pond).  May possibly sign up for a Oly in July.  Haven't decided on that yet.  I have my plans scheduled for marathon training for Greece starting in July.  Each event is a little longer than the previous, so that I focus for each goal.
2010-03-19 10:24 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Tiernan,

There are a lot of folks on the 1 race a month plan, particularly those who concentrate on sprint and Oly distances.  The monthly race keeps them motivated to train and they maintain a fairly good peak fitness for lots of months straight.  Nothing wrong with that as long as you don't get burnt out on training.

I typically do about 4 triathons a year, only one of which is an "A" race (an Oly at the end of May this year).  I pretty much plan my five or six months of training for that specific race.  Any race I do before that A race is just a training race, and the one or two races afterwards are just fun races.  I'll also train for one late year run race (half marathon the last 2 years) which I also treat as an A race.  

Oddly, I may end up doing more races than normal this year only because I've really enjoyed those "fun" races.  I go in slightly undertrained and don't worry much about performance, but as I've get to know more people in the sport I've been enjoying the social aspect of things as well as the racing. 

Brian

PS.  There're good training opportunities in Vegas, but you'll have to wake up early to avoid the heat!

Edited by famelec 2010-03-20 1:49 PM

2010-03-20 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2735825

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
quincyf - 2010-03-19 11:46 AM Hey all, I just did a big blog post, but I thought I would throw it up here too. I feel bad I haven't posted more. It's been slow for all of us I guess. Love to hear how people are doing... Here's the post: OK, I've laid off the swim for two weeks and been trying not to sleep on my right shoulder...wakes me up when I have to tuck it in instead of having it stretched straight up under my ear toward the head of the bed (which also wakes me up...hurts). Sometimes I think the pain is from sleeping rather than swimming... The tentative plan is to start back swimming with massively reduced distances and work really really hard on keeping form and increasing distance by minute increments. I still have the VO2 to swim a mile, just want to see if I can strengthen my shoulder before race time...if it gets better, great, I'm awesome. If it stays the same I'll still race this summer and maybe consult a sports medicine type. If it gets worse...we'll see...it definitely improved with rest, which is encouraging... OTOH, my running is freaking me out...going to do another 4 mile run today...I seem to be well into the 7 minute realm at a comfortable zone 2 pace...may have to go to phase two with the run and actually do some speed work, drills, etc. I am amazed at the Newton effect. I don't think a pronator is going to make the kind of gains I have made, but for this already pretty neutral runner, something about them (less friction? Complementing my running style? What???) has (so far) increased my speed. I dropped my mileage down for the break in of the shoes, but I think I can safely go back up to 5-6 mile runs...I am not having any weird or new pain in my legs. Cycling is also in a steep improvement mode. Joining this local team is going to be great for learning how to ride in groups and also learning about the different aspects of the discipline. I am already considering a time trial race in April...just for fun and experience. Sundays they have team computrainer rides. Last week I did a 20 minute Functional Threshold Power test...can't remember my exact numbers (it was kind of like a 5K...hard to pace so you end up trying to sprint the whole thing) but I was somewhere in the 170's for Functional Power. Not particularly attached to that number but it will be nice to be able to gauge any improvement I make in my cycling...also got his royal highness out in his carriage for a little lake front ride (it has been really nice here this week). I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun the trailer was...I definitely will be able to train with it...although you FEEL the wind (good and bad effects). But the important thing is that I can train with my kids...it will be fun for summertime too...can park at the zoo and ride them down to the museums...I hate parking down there.

You're definitely running well!  I suspect it's more the training effect than the shoes, but who knows?  If it really is the Newtons that are giving you the turbo charge, I might have to get a pair also!  My local tri shop swears by them.  They actually sell more Women's Newtons than any other store in the world. 

I don't recall if you ever got your swimming critiqued.  If not, it might be worth the expense and effort
 .  As triathlete?s we really don't swim enough???? that we should be getting shoulder injuries.   Usually the problem is poor technique, or sometimes straining a previous shoulder injury.  Mine stems from both.  Years ago I hurt my shoulder from pulling the starting cord on a lawn mower a million times with the expectation it would start on the next pull (it didn't).....Then when I got back into swimming my stroke sucked and the same shoulder pain came back. 

Brian
2010-03-20 2:15 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX

Deb, when's your next swim session?  Let us know how it's working out with the coach!

Brian

2010-03-21 11:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Did my first brick workout today.  Happily surprised with how well my legs adjusted to running after the bike.  It wasn't a very long brick, 11.35 mile bike ride followed by a 2 mile run.

This was the first time I've run since the half-marathon, and the legs/shins seem fine.

Now if I can just get motivated enough to get back to the pool.

Chris
2010-03-21 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2737451

User image

famelec - 2010-03-20 1:15 PM

Deb, when's your next swim session?  Let us know how it's working out with the coach!

Brian

Really great, actually.  I met with Molly Saturday for 45 minutes, and was able to get my brain to move forward.  I was having difficulty getting past the wall without stopping.  I plan to head to the pool this afternoon, and work on turns and catch ups.  We may meet again on Monday, but that is tentative.
2010-03-23 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2738560

User image

Deb C - 2010-03-21 12:40 PM
famelec - 2010-03-20 1:15 PM

Brian

Really great, actually.  I met with Molly Saturday for 45 minutes, and was able to get my brain to move forward.  I was having difficulty getting past the wall without stopping.  I plan to head to the pool this afternoon, and work on turns and catch ups.  We may meet again on Monday, but that is tentative.

Swam drills for an hour last night.  Geez.  I was exhausted.  Heading to the wellness center now to stretch.  Coach is going on vacation for two weeks.  We will meet one more time before April 18th.

Edited by Deb C 2010-03-23 12:26 PM

2010-03-26 10:33 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Here's a question for those of you that have already done a tri.  How do you warm-up for a sprint tri? Do you swim, bike, or jog?  I was just curious what works best since mine is in two weeks. 
2010-03-26 12:44 PM
in reply to: #2750655

User image

cspreiter - 2010-03-26 9:33 AM Here's a question for those of you that have already done a tri.  How do you warm-up for a sprint tri? Do you swim, bike, or jog?  I was just curious what works best since mine is in two weeks. 

This may sound strange, but the two books I've read about this very subject mention that you should use the swim as your warm up, since it is the shortest distance of the entire sprint.  The bike and the run will be where you will make your biggest gains, not the swim.  Plus, since the events start so early, light stretching is recommended.
2010-03-27 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2750655

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
cspreiter - 2010-03-26 10:33 AM Here's a question for those of you that have already done a tri.  How do you warm-up for a sprint tri? Do you swim, bike, or jog?  I was just curious what works best since mine is in two weeks. 

I usually just warm up on the swim.  I find it hard to go from complete rest to fast swimming without a warmup.  If there's time I might do a short ride before warming up on the swim also.  I figure there's really no reason to warm up running since biking seems to prepare them well.

Brian
2010-03-30 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
Congratulations to all for completing and logging the first three months of 2010 training!   I hope it's been fun and educational, particularly for those who are new to triathlon!

Personally, my training this year has been less than last year in both time and mileage, but I think I'm in pretty good shape regardless since I've been concentrating more on quality workouts (shorter but faster).   I still need to get in more bike miles in April, but I'm feeling pretty good about my swim and run.

Triathlon race season is starting!  This is what our group has going on this month:

Caleb -    4/11 -  Sprint Fever Sprint Tri
Brian -     4/11 -  Texas State Univ. Sprint Tri
Tiernan - 4/18 -  Winchester Fast Twitch Tri (not exactly a Sprint since it has a 20 mile bike and 6 mile run!)
Deb -       4/18 -  BlasterBlast Sprint Tri

If you have any pre-race questions, ask away!

Brian
2010-04-01 7:49 PM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Any transition area tips or tricks?  For sprints, what is essential, what's not?  Since the sprint is so short, I'd imagine minimizing as much time as possible in transition makes quite a difference.  Seeing how I'm completely new at this, I've got pretty much no clue how the transition works so all comments are welcome. 

2010-04-04 10:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Happy Easter all !

So March has come and gone, and not much has changed with my training.  I am still missing the pool, which is a huge gap from my training.

I did complete my first half marathon,  which led me to running almost exclusively during the beginning of the month.  I have since started to ride more. But between a week of minimal activity after the half marathon and a week of vacation, my training has been sporadic.

My totals for March:

Swim:  0
Bike:    67.08 Mi - 3h 38m 02s
Run:     32.99 Mi - 5h 24m 29s

To help motivate me , I have signed up for a "Learn To Tri" training group that starts April 19th.

Chris
2010-04-04 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2764224

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
cspreiter - 2010-04-01 7:49 PM Any transition area tips or tricks?  For sprints, what is essential, what's not?  Since the sprint is so short, I'd imagine minimizing as much time as possible in transition makes quite a difference.  Seeing how I'm completely new at this, I've got pretty much no clue how the transition works so all comments are welcome. 

The important thing about transition is to keep things simple.  Some people bring way too much stuff!

For T1 leave your helmet balanced on your handlebars with sunglasses inside them.  I prefer to pin my number on my shirt so I don't have to worry about a race belt.  Hang the shirt somewhere on your bike.  The only thing on the ground you need to deal with are your bike shoes.  If you plan to wear socks, put some foot power in them, then roll them kind of inside out, then put them inside your shoes.  When rolled and powdered you'll be able to roll them onto your wet feet easier.  I like to hang the bike on the rack from the seat; others prefer hang the bike from the handlebars.  It really doesn't matter much how you do it.

For a sprint distance tri I like to tape a GU to the top tube of my bike, with electrical tape over the "tear here" part of the package.  When I want the GU, while riding I just pull the GU from the tape and it is already open.

When you get to T2, hang your bike on the rack with your brake levers.  For T2 all you need to worry about is your running shoes (and socks and cap if you wear them).  Just put them on and go!

In the end, the only things you need on the ground by your bike for transitions are your bike shoes and run shoes, and maybe a cap.  Anything else should be on your bike.  When you're tired, the less often you have to bend down to get stuff the faster you'll be!

I'm apparently one of few people who practices transitions at home.  It's amazing how much time you can save with a bit of practice.  I often beat people in races who are faster than me on the S/B/R, but were slower in transition!

Brian

2010-04-04 2:27 PM
in reply to: #2767439

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
croyston - 2010-04-04 10:43 AM Happy Easter all !

So March has come and gone, and not much has changed with my training.  I am still missing the pool, which is a huge gap from my training.

I did complete my first half marathon,  which led me to running almost exclusively during the beginning of the month.  I have since started to ride more. But between a week of minimal activity after the half marathon and a week of vacation, my training has been sporadic.

My totals for March:

Swim:  0
Bike:    67.08 Mi - 3h 38m 02s
Run:     32.99 Mi - 5h 24m 29s

To help motivate me , I have signed up for a "Learn To Tri" training group that starts April 19th.

Chris

Definitely start getting in the water!

Your running group seemed to motivate you well for your half marathon.  I'm sure this tri group will do the same.  Let us know how it goes!

Brian
2010-04-05 10:22 AM

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
My swim is in a pool so I'm not wearing a wetsuit.  Do you swim in your tri top so you don't have to spend time putting it on in T1 or do you put it on in T1? 

I'm sure I'll come up with a number of other questions before Sunday
2010-04-05 1:55 PM
in reply to: #2768702

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
cspreiter - 2010-04-05 10:22 AM My swim is in a pool so I'm not wearing a wetsuit.  Do you swim in your tri top so you don't have to spend time putting it on in T1 or do you put it on in T1? 

I'm sure I'll come up with a number of other questions before Sunday

In pool and warm water triathlons I don't swim with a tri top, though many people do.  Even one that is fairly tight feels (to me, anyway) that it's creating a large amount of drag.  On the other hand, it's a pain to put on a tri top over a wet body in T1, so this really isn't a great solution.  The solution around here is to go shirtless for the bike and run, though I'm not sure it's warm enough up there yet. 

Some race directors require shirts on men; the further south you go this tends never to be a requirement.

Brian

2010-04-05 10:53 PM
in reply to: #2769329

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma

In pool and warm water triathlons I don't swim with a tri top, though many people do.  Even one that is fairly tight feels (to me, anyway) that it's creating a large amount of drag.  On the other hand, it's a pain to put on a tri top over a wet body in T1, so this really isn't a great solution.  The solution around here is to go shirtless for the bike and run, though I'm not sure it's warm enough up there yet. 

Some race directors require shirts on men; the further south you go this tends never to be a requirement.

Brian

It'll be warm enough here but I don't think it would be fair to my fellow competitors for me to go shirtless.  I could get disqualified for causing undue stress and nausea. 
2010-04-07 10:04 AM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Are we going to stay active in this group, or should we sign up for a new mentor group for April-June?
2010-04-07 11:51 AM

User image

Subject: Pool to Outside

I'll be transitioning from indoor swim to outdoor.  Being wet always has its disadvantages, but my biggest concern is staying warm so early in the morning in the mountains AND being wet/damp.  Seems I am always cold.

What suggestions do you have since I don't plan on removing my bathing suit.  Should I worry about trying to put on bike shorts so that I don't get blisters from the friction of being wet?  I don't want to lose time in transition if I don't have to.

2010-04-07 3:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Orangevale, CA
Deb - I'd suggest getting tri-suit if you think you'll be doing multiple triathlons.  If you are in a wetsuit race, you just wear the tri-suit under the wetsuit, and for non-wetsuit races you swim in the tri-suit and have nothing to change in T1 or T2.  The tri-suits dry quickly so you shouldn't be wet on the bike for long, and have enough padding to make the ride more comfortable without making  the run feel like you are wearing a diaper.     

I currently have just tri-shorts and have had no issues with swimming in them or biking / running.    
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Famelec Brian's Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 13