BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 27

2010-04-17 8:39 AM
in reply to: #2797745

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: RE: mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED
If you aren't there every weekend to eat give yourself a break and enjoy.  I have found that giving myself a break especially if I do good during the week eating right and training that a weekend of family and food with no expectation of pressuirng myself to eat 100% right works well.  One thing i have learned though is to eat slow and let your brain get the full signal before you get too full.  I have heaqrd it takes about 20 minutes for the brain to say "Enough".
Good Luck
Tom

2010-04-17 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2769357

User image

Expert
Raleigh
I dit it ! I did it! 18th overall, and 3rd in my AG!!! Laughing

If I could transition worth a crap I could have done better. Gotta practice that.

My kid had his 1st baseball game this morning, so i had to leave before awards ceremony, so I didn't get my hardware. Think the RD will send it to me?
2010-04-17 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2798385

User image

Expert
C-bus
titeloops - 2010-04-17 3:10 PM I dit it ! I did it! 18th overall, and 3rd in my AG!!! Laughing

If I could transition worth a crap I could have done better. Gotta practice that.

My kid had his 1st baseball game this morning, so i had to leave before awards ceremony, so I didn't get my hardware. Think the RD will send it to me?

Congratulations on your awesome finish!  I bet you want to sign up for 10 more!  Way to lead our group to the beginning of a  successful racing season!
2010-04-18 7:36 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
titeloops - 2010-04-17 12:10 PM I dit it ! I did it! 18th overall, and 3rd in my AG!!! Laughing

Wow!  That is really awesome.  Well done.  Have you logged your race report?  It'll be cool to see your times and what went well and whatnot.

Great job!
2010-04-18 8:23 AM

User image

Veteran
titeloops - 2010-04-17 3:10 PM I dit it ! I did it! 18th overall, and 3rd in my AG!!! Laughing

Awesome!!!  Congrats on a job well done...it's so great when all of the training pays off! 
2010-04-18 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Congratulations on your race!  Keep up the good work.

2010-04-18 1:43 PM

User image

Expert
NW NJ

F-Yeah, Nice Work Todd!  Ladies and Gentleman, I believe the bar for this group has been set!  Can't wait to read the Race Report!

I destroyed my estimated finish time and pace in my race.  Planned 1:45:00 Finished in 1:38:50 with a 7:27 min pace!  Came in 171 overall out of nearly 2300 finishers and 23/145 in my AG.  I will detail later in a race report!

Unfortunately, while I was racing my son was admitted to the hospital with severe dehydration, he caught some nasty stomach bug, So I'll be spending the rest of the evening and possibly tomorrow there.  I'll catch up with Everyone later! 

-Brian
2010-04-18 2:02 PM

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Subject: WETSUIT QUESTION
Does anyone know how to make a choice on using either a sleeveless or sleeved wetsuit for triathlons?  Also for your first outdoor open water does anyone recommend any suit in particular?
Thanks
Tom
2010-04-18 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2799619

User image

Expert
C-bus

F-Yeah, Nice Work Todd!  Ladies and Gentleman, I believe the bar for this group has been set!  Can't wait to read the Race Report!

I destroyed my estimated finish time and pace in my race.  Planned 1:45:00 Finished in 1:38:50 with a 7:27 min pace!  Came in 171 overall out of nearly 2300 finishers and 23/145 in my AG.  I will detail later in a race report!

Unfortunately, while I was racing my son was admitted to the hospital with severe dehydration, he caught some nasty stomach bug, So I'll be spending the rest of the evening and possibly tomorrow there.  I'll catch up with Everyone later! 

-Brian

Holy Cow!  You're fast!!!!!!  More importantly-praying for your son's quick healing!  My thoughts are with you and your family!
2010-04-18 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2799619

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Brian
First of all congrats!!!!!!!!!

Secondly I hope your son gets better.  I have done some research on dehydration and i have dehydrated before and it isn't pretty.  Best wishes to him in his recovery.
Tom
2010-04-18 2:58 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
GREAT Job to Brian and Todd that is awesome you guys.  I can't imagine running a half-mary that fast. 

I had my super sprint today and placed first in my age group!  really second because the guy who won the whole thing was the same age as me.  I accomplished my goals of doing well in the transitions.  Had to guess at times because they didn't have splits for those.  I also hoped to complete in under 45 minutes and did so in 38 minutes.  I ran faster than I have lately.  I ran slightly under 10 minute miles which is really fast for me.  It was a fun race and would go back again next year.  my 3 year old wants to do the kids tri next year he really liked watching the kids. 

O yeah in transition to bike to run.  HELMET off!!! this is two tri's now and I haven't been able to get this right yet!!!!!!!!!  didn't get as far this time but sill can't believe I did it again. 

2010-04-18 4:22 PM
in reply to: #2799702

User image

Expert
C-bus
stiga00 - 2010-04-18 3:58 PM GREAT Job to Brian and Todd that is awesome you guys.  I can't imagine running a half-mary that fast. 

I had my super sprint today and placed first in my age group!  really second because the guy who won the whole thing was the same age as me.  I accomplished my goals of doing well in the transitions.  Had to guess at times because they didn't have splits for those.  I also hoped to complete in under 45 minutes and did so in 38 minutes.  I ran faster than I have lately.  I ran slightly under 10 minute miles which is really fast for me.  It was a fun race and would go back again next year.  my 3 year old wants to do the kids tri next year he really liked watching the kids. 

O yeah in transition to bike to run.  HELMET off!!! this is two tri's now and I haven't been able to get this right yet!!!!!!!!!  didn't get as far this time but sill can't believe I did it again. 

Nice Job!  Boy, you guys are setting some pretty high standards!!!!!  Our group rocks!  

Again- congratulations on being #1 in your AG!!!!!!!!!
2010-04-18 4:45 PM

WOW!  Big congrats to Todd, Brian, and Giancarlo!  You guys all did great!

Brian, I hope your son gets better, my kid had to be admitted because of dehydration due to a virus and its so scary.  Thankfully, once they get those iv's going, she was better almost right away.  We'll be thinking good thoughts for your son.

Ronda

2010-04-18 5:24 PM

User image

Expert
Raleigh
Congrats! Your son is in my thoughts and prayers. Nothing worse for daddy than having a sick child.
2010-04-18 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Congrats to those that raced today.  Everyone seriously killed it!  Well done.

Brian, I hope your son feels better.  We are taking our son in tomorrow morning to get surgery (tubes in his ears) and I am so nervous about it.  As a fellow father, I feel your pain!

Had my first brick workout today.  Rode my bike for 42 minutes and then ran for 20 minutes.  I felt great on the ride, but a little tired on the run.  My legs were totally fine, but my side and chest were hurting a bit in the run.  When the pain got bad, I would walk for 30-45 seconds and it would go away.  I'm not sure if it was related to the newness of the brick workout or if it was because I was under hydrated.  I forgot my water bottle on my ride and only got a couple swallows in when I switched to the run.
2010-04-18 9:43 PM
in reply to: #2800189

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Wow, everyone that raced this weekend set the bar very high for the rest of us.  A huge congrats goes out to everyone.  Phenomenal job.

Brian, I hope your son starts feeling better and comes home quickly.  I've been there with both my daughter and mother (on Christmas day).

2010-04-19 1:37 PM

User image

Kings Mountain, NC
So official results were posted today and I didn't realize this yesterday because I got my medal and hit the road.  I was the only one in that age group other than the guy who won the race.  Soooooooo my first is really second and I guess last.  Anyway I have long way to go for triathalon supremacy.  I just thought it was funny when I looked at the results.  Suppose I wont be doing too much bragging around the water cooler!!!!    Wink

Hope everyone has a great week biking, running, and swimming!!!!!!
2010-04-19 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2799652

User image

Regular
Hudsonville, MI
Subject: RE: WETSUIT QUESTION
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-18 3:02 PM Does anyone know how to make a choice on using either a sleeveless or sleeved wetsuit for triathlons?  Also for your first outdoor open water does anyone recommend any suit in particular?
Thanks
Tom

Tom,

About the only advice I would / can give you is try on as many as you can, at different locations if required, until you find one you're comfortable in.  Seeing that most of the races I'll compete in will be wetsuit legal, I chose to buy a full suit.  I have 2 friends that bought Xterra full suits.  When I compared the fit and finish to the Blue Seventy I bought, I thought the Blue Seventy looked better.  Also, I wanted something different than my friends.
2010-04-19 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2802031

User image

Expert
C-bus
Tom- Went to a tri shop in Columbus called "tri-tech".  After telling them my races (one in C-bus, one in Cle) they recommended a sleeveless for the temps I'd be swimming in... however, they could also have been playing my pricepoint ($250 was my max and there was only one they carried below that price range- sleeveless 19 pipeline.  It was the only one they would let me try on).  They seemed pretty defensive of their wetsuits.  Maybe they're used to people trying on then buying online....  

Do you know of any shops in Cleveland/Akron?

Edited by sungirl919 2010-04-19 4:14 PM
2010-04-19 7:53 PM
in reply to: #2802401

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Thanks Robin
I do not know of any shops in the area but I found out the Xterra has a sleeveless marked down from $200 to $99.  It costs $40 to rent one so I am better off just buying the Xterra online.  They have a return policy if it does not fit.  Anyway thanks.  When is your next tri?  Mine is this weekend at Akron U.  It is a sprint.  No big expectations except not to end up in the ER.  LOL.
My goal is to do the 500 swim in less than 10 minutes.  The bike i have no idea.  It depends on the bikes.  The run I want to do in under 10 minutes per mile.  Anyway if I feel pretty good after the next few tris I am probably going to sign up for Cleveland.  I am trying to talk my marathon wife into it also.  She just took 2nd place in her division in the Union Hospital 1/2 marathon in New Philedelphia this past weekend.
Talk Soon
Tom
2010-04-19 9:14 PM
in reply to: #2802908

User image

Expert
C-bus
Tkimble01 - 2010-04-19 8:53 PM Thanks Robin
I do not know of any shops in the area but I found out the Xterra has a sleeveless marked down from $200 to $99.  It costs $40 to rent one so I am better off just buying the Xterra online.  They have a return policy if it does not fit.  

Anyway if I feel pretty good after the next few tris I am probably going to sign up for Cleveland.  I am trying to talk my marathon wife into it also.  She just took 2nd place in her division in the Union Hospital 1/2 marathon in New Philedelphia this past weekend.
Talk Soon
Tom

I just ordered xterra sleeveless and it shipped today.  I'm hoping it's comfy.  That's my BIG issue with things.  I'll report to all when I try it out. 

Swam a mile today in the pool.  Heart rate was great.  Arms were getting tired at the end.  Brain was tired of counting.  I might have shorted myself 50, but ended up at 32 minutes.  Not bad for never doing it all freestyle before.  Now that I know my base, I'll be picking up intervals and drills to improve upon it.  I'm almost antsy to get the 1/2 mary over with so i can officially start my triathlon program.... 

sorry this is so random, but I don't want to bore you... been doing much of nothing but running lately... and don't even ask about my beverage or nutrition goals... My parents were in town-I needn't say any more. 

Have a good week of workouts!

2010-04-20 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
NW NJ
Thank you everyone for the well wishes for my son.  He was discharged yesterday afternoon and is back to causing mischeif and bouncing off the walls, all good things!  He just needed some fluids, and got about 4 IV Bags worth over 24hrs.  

Giancarlo, congrats on your finish!  2nd place in your AG is 2nd place no matter what!  Great job and congratulations.  

Noel, keep at those bricks, they will get easier as your body adapts.  My first brick ever both my quads locked up and I fell right to the ground writhing in pain.  I never experienced that again.  I think the 1st one your body is like, "WTF... NO!" and sends the pain signals to your brian for you to stop.  It gets better!  

Robin, Congrats on the wetsuit purchase and getting back in the pool.  I would be leary of any store that got defensive about letting you try on wetsuits,  that is an immediate red flag to me, and in my opionion wrong.  I think you will be very satisified with your Xterra and their customer service.  

Tom, Great goals set for this weekend, I hope you kill it!  And congrats to your wife's performance in her 1/2!  Now get her on the pool and on some wheels!  

Robin's baseline mile swim brings up a good point of conversation for the group.  Has everyone done some type of baseline assesment for any, or all 3, diciplines to guage our progression from?  This could be your daily 5K route, usual bike route or X-distance swim.  It is good to do this a few times during the season to see if we have gotten faster/stronger.  Often they are called Time Trial workouts (TT) run a 5K and record your time, do it again in a month and see how it compares.  I just did a 1000yd swim TT this morning and realized I have a lot of work to do.  I will do the same swim again next month and plan to see imporvement.   

-B

2010-04-20 10:14 AM
in reply to: #2803899

User image

Veteran
Northern Ohio
Brian
I have trained so much in the pool.  My baseline for the 500 yd. was 14 minutes about three weeks ago.  It then went down to 12.  The other day I did 500 yd in just under 10 minutes.  I also swam my longest continuous swim last week.  I did 2500 yards in 60 minutes.  For me this is great considering I could not swim 50 yards at one time 10 weeks ago.  The only problem I am having is that I have been in the pool so much that I have developed some tendonitis in my rotator.  So after Sundays Tri I am going to take a week off swimming and concentrate on bike and run.  I have swam almost 29000 yards in the past two months.  Mainly because that is my weakest sport and I do not want to drown.

My run baseline is about 11 minutes per mile.

My bike baseline.  I have no idea at this time because all I have done is stationary bikes so far this year.  There is such of a wide variation on the bikes it is hard to tell what the baseline is.

I plan to begin training on my road bike next week and I will have a pretty good idea then.  I typically average about 17 - 19 MPH at a cadence of about 80 - 90.

Good idea for establishing these baselines.
Thanks
T?om
2010-04-20 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Bend, OR
Nole's baselines (I'm trying to use the distances for my upcoming Oly tri in June as my baseline):

Swim: 1500m- 36 mins (a month ago) and 34 mins (last week... after a long run to boot!)

Run: 10k- 68 mins (my goal is to get this down to 60 minutes even)

Bike: 24 miles- 109 mins (this is the hardest for me to gauge, because most of my bike workouts are in the early, early AM and I'm all bundled up w/ 3 layers of clothes and lights & fenders on my bike.  I'm hoping I'll be much faster riding when its not 30 degrees outside and I don't have the extra weight on my bike).
2010-04-20 3:21 PM

Veteran
so I'm finally on line again!  I had my first tri on sunday, a 300 S/ 10 mile R / 5K R and had a blast.  There is still a lot of room for improvement but also learned a lot.

Swim was better than expected, I passed several people and was slowed down as well.
Bike, need to improve on my drinking while riding part.  I was not able to drink a lot on the bike and that slowed me down in transition and for the first 2 miles of the run.  They had some hills but I did not feel well.
Run:  need to practice more bricks, but finally got my pace right on the last mile (it also helps that it was downhill right!!)

all in all, a great experience.   I will look for another sprint in a pool in the next 2 months as I had to postpone my OWS sprint from May to July due to some travelling in the next 3-4 weeks

Congratulations on the great results ????????f?o?r? ?a?l?l? ?t?h?e? ?o?t?h?e?r?s? ?t?h?a?t? ?r?a?c?e?d? ?a?n?d? ?h?o?p?e? ?e?v?e?r?ybody got some good training over the weekend.  ?
?

Edited by Chezz 2010-04-21 3:17 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » mchubri's Crazy Awesome Training Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 27