BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 32

2010-04-23 11:05 AM
in reply to: #2773064

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
Subject: RE: jsnowash's training group - FULL!!
Hello all, it's been hectic lately so training took a bit of a hit but things are still injury free so I'm at least happy for that.  As well, I told my parents about my triathlon training and that went as I expected, just like my KOS days - they know so-and-so that can do my swim training...so-and-so can do my bike maint....I should be doing my running like this....etc. etc. Actually I don't mind, they really do know best (shhh don't tell them I said that though lol).  My dad took me on a bike ride, which was only my 2nd time outside on the bike and it went well, but boy can he kick my a$$ lol, he taught me lots of great usefull things like getting in and out of aero (still wobbly though), we did avoidance drills (in and out of dotted lines on road), we did tight turns, he showed me how to ride in a peleton and the hand signals & commands, etc. etc.  I'm so glad I broke down and told them, I think it will be hugely supportive to have his knowledge to lean on a bit.

Now some comments lol.

Keiren- I'm sooooo jealous of your Caribbean swimming!!!  Our lakes still have ice   No OWS for a while!

Straydog- I love the quote you have at the bottom of your posts, I hear it a lot in the motivational videos I watch when I need an extra boost.  Good luck picking a 20wk program, what type of race are you thinking of ending that with (sprint,oly,HIM?).

KiwiJDRPH- It's raning here too, but since it's not pouring I'm thinking it will be some good weather to train in, it's not realistic for me to expect nice weather where I live so training in less than optimal conditions is definitely beneficial.

Amhabh- 1. I train as follows (don't look at my logs-I haven't been updating on a reg. basis).
Swim: 3hrs/wk    Bike: 5.5hrs/wk     Run: 6.5hrs/wk    Core: 2.5hrs/wk    Strength:  2.5hrs/wk (this is the first to go when I can't find time).

2. I ride a Felt B16, Cobb wrist relief bars (I may change out my entire bar set up this fall though), Shimano Ultegra Dura-Ace, Compact Crank (I do a fair bit of hill training), no race wheels yet (will get some in Dec I'm thinking). 

Anyway, I'm actually at work right now so I better do some work. 

2010-04-23 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
I completed my Indoor Triathlon at work today. With only 2 runs in the last 2 weeks and no other workouts, my body wasn't prepared. I need to find a way to get back into my workouts.

The indoor triathlon was a 2500 meter row, 2 mile seated bike ride, and a 1 mile walk . I completed it in a total time of 36:28.

The details of each discipline is in my training log.

Lovey
2010-04-23 2:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
I was hoping to get some views on whether I should race or not:
My very first Tri (sprint distance) is June 20th.  Today is Apr 23 and as of right now I cannot run, I mean, I physically can but I actually cannot sustain a run for more than 800m or so, approx. 4 steps into a run my hr spikes to around 181 and will stay between 185-191 and NOT go down unless I'm walking very slowly for at least 5min.  A sprint is 5km and at this point it feels like it might as well be a full IM because either way I cannot run that.  My swim is ok and my bike is ok.  I stopped my run training for almost 3 weeks now (just getting back into it) due to serious shin splint issues - so bad that I had blue & purple bruising stripes from ankle bone to knee bone on the outside of each leg.   It will be at least another 2 weeks before I can use my orthotics 100% of the time in my shoes to alleviate the problem...

So do I just forget the race and pick one later or do I use it as a learning experience?  What would you do? 

I meant to say that after about 300m (not 4 steps) my heart rate gets to 185-191.  Believe me, this is at an extremely slllooooowww jog, gramas pass me at my "run" speed!!!

Edited by tryin2tri 2010-04-23 2:07 PM
2010-04-23 2:28 PM
in reply to: #2811359

User image

Veteran
CLAREMORE, Oklahoma
Amhgbh - 2010-04-22 8:38 PM SO heres a few questions to everyone
1. How much do you do of each sport per week?

2. what bike are you riding?

1. I do each 3x a week.

2.  Giant OCR 2 road bike

2010-04-23 2:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area

You seem to only have an issue when you run. So unless you are competing for a prize, why not walk the run course as fast as you can? If you can swim and bike ok, I wouldn’t skip it.

I will bet you that you are not the only one walking.

Lovey
2010-04-23 3:52 PM
in reply to: #2812480

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Lovey - 2010-04-23 1:10 PM

I completed my Indoor Triathlon at work today. With only 2 runs in the last 2 weeks and no other workouts, my body wasn't prepared. I need to find a way to get back into my workouts.

The indoor triathlon was a 2500 meter row, 2 mile seated bike ride, and a 1 mile walk . I completed it in a total time of 36:28.

The details of each discipline is in my training log.

Lovey

Hang in there Lovey! What is it that's keeping you from your workouts? I find some days I really have to psyche myself up to get out the door for a workout, but I almost always feel better after it's done.

2010-04-23 4:06 PM
in reply to: #2812754

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
tryin2tri - 2010-04-23 3:04 PM

I was hoping to get some views on whether I should race or not:
My very first Tri (sprint distance) is June 20th.  Today is Apr 23 and as of right now I cannot run, I mean, I physically can but I actually cannot sustain a run for more than 800m or so, approx. 4 steps into a run my hr spikes to around 181 and will stay between 185-191 and NOT go down unless I'm walking very slowly for at least 5min.  A sprint is 5km and at this point it feels like it might as well be a full IM because either way I cannot run that.  My swim is ok and my bike is ok.  I stopped my run training for almost 3 weeks now (just getting back into it) due to serious shin splint issues - so bad that I had blue & purple bruising stripes from ankle bone to knee bone on the outside of each leg.   It will be at least another 2 weeks before I can use my orthotics 100% of the time in my shoes to alleviate the problem...

So do I just forget the race and pick one later or do I use it as a learning experience?  What would you do? 

I meant to say that after about 300m (not 4 steps) my heart rate gets to 185-191.  Believe me, this is at an extremely slllooooowww jog, gramas pass me at my "run" speed!!!

Jessie,

I agree with Lovey. If your swim and bike are okay for the race, then you can certainly finish, even if you have to walk some or all of the run.

Can you provide a little more info on what happens when you say your HR spikes when you start running? Do you feel like you're heart rate is spiking (out of breath, etc.)? I'm trying to get at whether there might be an issue with your HR monitor, or if you really are having such a huge HR spike when you run. I'm also wondering if you have tried running a little further to see if your HR settles down after you get going. If you haven't done it it might be worth doing a little experiment to see...

If your HR is indeed spiking to that extent, you could try seeing if it stays in a more reasonable rage doing something like an eliptical machine. If so, that might help you gain some of the conditioning you'll eventually need to run without the pounding (which could aggravate your shin splints) and help you build up some endurance.

When you do start running again, it would probably be a good idea to ease back into it slowly so you don't get injured again, and do some kind of run/walk combination for a while as you build run fitness and endurance; something like alternating easy jogging for 1-2 minutes with walking 1-2 minutes.

By the way, there are some good exercises in this article to help prevent shin splints. It's kind of a long article, if you don't feel like reading the whole thing, scroll down to about half-way for the exercises.
2010-04-23 4:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Prior to this month I was pretty consistent. Due to schedule change and more responsibility at work for both me and my husband, I have had to change my entire workout regimen. Gone are my 6am weekday workouts and my evenings are always at one kids practice or game.

I am trying to squeeze things in here and there but it doesn't seem to work. I hate to wait until the weekend to do all my workouts. I have a half marathon in a week so I have to not miss anymore runs.

Even yesterday, I planned and dressed to run during my youngest practice and leave my older one on the field. His practice got cancelled the day before and so they put it on the same day as his brother. I spent all evening driving. I went north to drop one off, doubled back south to drop the other off, then went back north to pick up the first one. I got there 10 mins to spare and by the time we left and got to the older one, his practice was over. By the time I got home, fed them, got them in baths, homework, I was so tired. I tried going on my treadmill but had no energy left.

Somehow this week, I am determine to squeeze in as many short workouts as possible. During the week, I don't have even stretch of time to do long workouts so I am going to focus on getting in short quality workouts. I can't get to my home gym but I have a gym at work. I wasn't taking lunch breaks this week or last due to my workload but I will so i can do a 30 min workout.

A friend agreed to watch the kids two days for me before/after school so I am going to try and short workout then too.

Sorry for the long post.

Lovey

Edited by Lovey 2010-04-23 4:22 PM
2010-04-23 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2813003

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
That's a really tough schedule..... I have SO much respect for ANYBODY fitting in endurance training around work and family, especially when kids are in the phase of life where they need to be shuttled here and there all evening long. My hat's off to you for fitting in any training at all! It takes a lot of dedication to make it happen under those circumstances. I certainly wouldn't have had the energy to run after the day you described either.... Can your hubby take over any of the chauffeur duties? I hope you're able to find a schedule that works for you!

p.s. That's really nice that your friend offered to help with your kids. Aren't friends like that the best???

Edited by jsnowash 2010-04-23 4:36 PM
2010-04-23 7:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
My hubby and I usually share duties so I can work out in the morning while he and the kids sleep. Plus I use to run with my group 2x a week while my kids were in martial arts. They cancelled my kids class and moved them to another one so I have to drop my group runs because I no longer had time to meet them, run and get back. Now I will only have 45 mins if I stay nearby and only once a week. I will be squeezing in a 3 mile run (slow runner) around the business park or ride. I can probably get 6 to 7 miles on my bike.

My hubby's was a big help but with his new assignment, he's not available in the week anymore.

Lovey
2010-04-23 8:45 PM
in reply to: #2813188

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
Lovey - 2010-04-23 8:08 PM My hubby and I usually share duties so I can work out in the morning while he and the kids sleep. Plus I use to run with my group 2x a week while my kids were in martial arts. They cancelled my kids class and moved them to another one so I have to drop my group runs because I no longer had time to meet them, run and get back. Now I will only have 45 mins if I stay nearby and only once a week. I will be squeezing in a 3 mile run (slow runner) around the business park or ride. I can probably get 6 to 7 miles on my bike. My hubby's was a big help but with his new assignment, he's not available in the week anymore. Lovey

And I complain about what I thought was a tough schedule!
I have to agree with Jenny; the effort you are investing in this journey is huge, but I have no doubt it will pay off in the end. Nothing that comes easy is greatly appreciated anyways. Not only you are setting a great example for your family, but I am sure you are earning even more respect from everyone close to you that is witnessing such determination. I beg you to keep it up, not only for your well being, but as an inspiration for the rest of us (that's kinda selfish though ;-)). Way to go Lovey!.
Fernando

Edited by guticur 2010-04-23 8:47 PM

2010-04-23 8:46 PM
in reply to: #2813311

User image

Veteran
Lancaster, PA
guticur - 2010-04-23 9:45 PM
Lovey - 2010-04-23 8:08 PM My hubby and I usually share duties so I can work out in the morning while he and the kids sleep. Plus I use to run with my group 2x a week while my kids were in martial arts. They cancelled my kids class and moved them to another one so I have to drop my group runs because I no longer had time to meet them, run and get back. Now I will only have 45 mins if I stay nearby and only once a week. I will be squeezing in a 3 mile run (slow runner) around the business park or ride. I can probably get 6 to 7 miles on my bike. My hubby's was a big help but with his new assignment, he's not available in the week anymore. Lovey

PS: Good luck on you half mary!

Edited by guticur 2010-04-23 8:48 PM
2010-04-23 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2812334

tryin2tri - 2010-04-23 12:05 PM Hello all, it's been hectic lately so training took a bit of a hit but things are still injury free so I'm at least happy for that.  As well, I told my parents about my triathlon training and that went as I expected, just like my KOS days - they know so-and-so that can do my swim training...so-and-so can do my bike maint....I should be doing my running like this....etc. etc. Actually I don't mind, they really do know best (shhh don't tell them I said that though lol).  My dad took me on a bike ride, which was only my 2nd time outside on the bike and it went well, but boy can he kick my a$$ lol, he taught me lots of great usefull things like getting in and out of aero (still wobbly though), we did avoidance drills (in and out of dotted lines on road), we did tight turns, he showed me how to ride in a peleton and the hand signals & commands, etc. etc.  I'm so glad I broke down and told them, I think it will be hugely supportive to have his knowledge to lean on a bit.

Now some comments lol.

Keiren- I'm sooooo jealous of your Caribbean swimming!!!  Our lakes still have ice   No OWS for a while!

Straydog- I love the quote you have at the bottom of your posts, I hear it a lot in the motivational videos I watch when I need an extra boost.  Good luck picking a 20wk program, what type of race are you thinking of ending that with (sprint,oly,HIM?).

KiwiJDRPH- It's raning here too, but since it's not pouring I'm thinking it will be some good weather to train in, it's not realistic for me to expect nice weather where I live so training in less than optimal conditions is definitely beneficial.

Amhabh- 1. I train as follows (don't look at my logs-I haven't been updating on a reg. basis).
Swim: 3hrs/wk    Bike: 5.5hrs/wk     Run: 6.5hrs/wk    Core: 2.5hrs/wk    Strength:  2.5hrs/wk (this is the first to go when I can't find time).

2. I ride a Felt B16, Cobb wrist relief bars (I may change out my entire bar set up this fall though), Shimano Ultegra Dura-Ace, Compact Crank (I do a fair bit of hill training), no race wheels yet (will get some in Dec I'm thinking). 

As far as training what do you do for strength training? and core training
2010-04-23 9:53 PM
in reply to: #2813362

User image

Veteran
Polar Bear Alley
As far as training what do you do for strength training? and core training

Core: Lots of plank (side/prone/prone-knee ups/etc.), obliques, v-ups, bicycle, pikes (laying down), and I'll use the bosu with some of the latter.

Strength: lat pull downs/trap pull downs, seated press & inclined press, abductor/aductor,calf curl, chest press, and lots and lots and lots of rowing!!! oh yeah, LOTS of rowing lol.

Free weights consist of mostly butterfly and weighted lunges, I don't know too much about free weight training or else I might do more.  I use weight sometimes with core too but that's about it.

Lovey - Good luck balancing family and training, it sounds like you've built a pretty good base so far so I really hope you keep it up.  You're definitely an inspiration to me!!
2010-04-24 12:03 PM
in reply to: #2812334

User image

Veteran
tryin2tri - 2010-04-24 9:05 AM Hello all, it's been hectic lately so training took a bit of a hit but things are still injury free so I'm at least happy for that.  As well, I told my parents about my triathlon training and that went as I expected, just like my KOS days - they know so-and-so that can do my swim training...so-and-so can do my bike maint....I should be doing my running like this....etc. etc. Actually I don't mind, they really do know best (shhh don't tell them I said that though lol).  My dad took me on a bike ride, which was only my 2nd time outside on the bike and it went well, but boy can he kick my a$$ lol, he taught me lots of great usefull things like getting in and out of aero (still wobbly though), we did avoidance drills (in and out of dotted lines on road), we did tight turns, he showed me how to ride in a peleton and the hand signals & commands, etc. etc.  I'm so glad I broke down and told them, I think it will be hugely supportive to have his knowledge to lean on a bit.

Now some comments lol.

I am going to pick a 20 week oly training plan. Because, my personal plan is to be fairly well prepared for a sprint. I already know that I will not be able to stick to the plan 100% so my under the table plan is to do the oly training and start at the back of my age group wave and pass as many people as I can (not count them of course ...well out loud, Lol) while at the same time. My goal for my first tri is a confidenct boost/ feel good/ have fun/ get a couple a three beers in thingy. I also picked my first tri to run on the sand It's the Sandman in Sta Cruz, CA. Some of the money goes to support the youth lifeguard programs in ca. I think it'll be a good start.
2010-04-24 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2812754

User image

Veteran
tryin2tri - 2010-04-24 12:04 PM I was hoping to get some views on whether I should race or not:

and your HR doesn't spike on the bike or the swim? Wierd, sounds like your pushing yourself past the shin spint pain on your run? Or your pace is too fast or something. Doesn't make sense to me. Jenny? Fernando? Caleb?

2010-04-24 12:36 PM
in reply to: #2812480

User image

Veteran
Lovey - 2010-04-24 10:10 AM I completed my Indoor Triathlon at work today. With only 2 runs in the last 2 weeks and no other workouts, my body wasn't prepared. I need to find a way to get back into my workouts. The indoor triathlon was a 2500 meter row, 2 mile seated bike ride, and a 1 mile walk . I completed it in a total time of 36:28. The details of each discipline is in my training log. Lovey

Congratulations on your tri Lovey! Good job, I checked out your log. I also saw that you are running a half mary on 5/2. Well so am I . I am a little nervous about saying this cuz it looks like you have run a HM before but here it goes....race me! Let's compare times. It'll bee fun.
2010-04-24 4:04 PM

Went on a 28 mile Bike ride with the club, I hit a wall around mile 15. I ran hard yesterday and don't think I had enough time to recover. I also started having severe pain in my left knee around mile 15. It's on the top of the knee, I've iced it and took some tylenol. Has anyone else experienced this?

Edited by dojorun01 2010-04-24 4:07 PM
2010-04-24 4:24 PM
in reply to: #2813879

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
StrayDog - 2010-04-24 1:19 PM

tryin2tri - 2010-04-24 12:04 PM I was hoping to get some views on whether I should race or not:

and your HR doesn't spike on the bike or the swim? Wierd, sounds like your pushing yourself past the shin spint pain on your run? Or your pace is too fast or something. Doesn't make sense to me. Jenny? Fernando? Caleb?

I was thinking the same thing, which is why I asked how she was feeling when she sees the HR spike. If she doesn't FEEL like her hearts about to pound out of her chest, it could be an issue with the HR monitor or maybe the strap slipping out of place.... pure speculation on my part, though.....
2010-04-24 4:28 PM
in reply to: #2814160

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
dojorun01 - 2010-04-24 5:04 PM

Went on a 28 mile Bike ride with the club, I hit a wall around mile 15. I ran hard yesterday and don't think I had enough time to recover. I also started having severe pain in my left knee around mile 15. It's on the top of the knee, I've iced it and took some tylenol. Has anyone else experienced this?

dojo-

Did you have a bike fit for your bike? Many times pain like what you're describing occurs when the bike seat is set too low. If you haven't had a fit for your bike, you might want to bring it to a local bike shop and ask if they can help you make adjustments for a better fit (they'll probably charge you something for this....). It might also be an issue of conditioning - if you haven't ridden that far before, your knees might just be protesting!
2010-04-24 4:36 PM
in reply to: #2814193

Got the Bike last fall and have ridden many times and longer distances with no problems. Though my huspband said the same thing about the fit. he said that I might need to have the peddles, seat etc... adjusted.

Edited by dojorun01 2010-04-24 4:53 PM

2010-04-24 4:59 PM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Did you make any changes to the bike? Different pedals, different saddle, anything like that?
2010-04-24 5:14 PM

no. going to take in and see what they say.

2010-04-24 5:45 PM
in reply to: #2814186

User image

Veteran
jsnowash - 2010-04-25 2:24 PM
StrayDog - 2010-04-24 1:19 PM

I was thinking the same thing, which is why I asked how she was feeling when she sees the HR spike. If she doesn't FEEL like her hearts about to pound out of her chest, it could be an issue with the HR monitor or maybe the strap slipping out of place.... pure speculation on my part, though.....

Definitly some missing info there. The HR may be a real problem but it does not make sense that it would only occur in one event. If the HR were really in the 190's sustained, one would be in major demand for oxygen. Yea, you would definitly "feel' that.
2010-04-24 5:58 PM

User image

Veteran
AMY: Good question on the strength training. That seems kinda controversial. Some train with resistance all year. But I hear that the more race specific athletes taper off as they get closer to more focused training or closer to their race. Any truth to this? Chime in folks.

Fernando: It came in the mail today....I had my hands on it for about  10min. I went to take my son to a soccer game and when I came back ....my daughter is reading it...That turkey.Hmmm...do I demand she give it right now..or do steal it back when she goes on a run? Hmmm...Kids...gotta love em..hey at least she is interested in the antidrug instead of the drugs. Gotta love it. I let her have the book for awhile....errrrrrrrrrrr.

You guys have a cool weekend. I am on call Cry and can't do too much a anythin'.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » jsnowash's training group - FULL!! Rss Feed  

of 32