BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-05-06 12:35 PM
in reply to: #2840220

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: amschrod's mentor group - FULL
wbayek - 2010-05-05 10:32 PM I second the cramp talk with running after.  Bike fitness is key to running well.  I also think bricks help with the sensation, but be aware that brick runs aren't always good quality runs.  I had good luck just adding very short (1 mile) but hard runs after bike rides, particularly the long ones.

I absolutely agree. It is good to experience that sensation, and also good to know that it goes away! I don't do many brick runs, but they are usually only a mile also.

Anthony

2010-05-06 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2841619

User image

New user

amschrod - 2010-05-06 12:32 PM
cemarkham21 - 2010-05-05 2:03 PM From what I've heard this story has been low on the big news of the week (oil spill, etc.) Thought I'd share some pics that are causing a temporary delay in my training.Wink

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/05/flooding_in_tennessee.html?camp=localsearchn:twit:bigpic

I have been following that story and it looks pretty bad there. Hope you and your family are doing OK.

Anthony

It's pretty bad, but we are doing better than some. My house is fine, my mom's basement flooded but has been taken care of. There is a strict water conservation mandate out for Metro Nashville since one of the two water treatment plants is under water currently (kind of ironic).

2010-05-06 3:56 PM
in reply to: #2774068

User image

NH
Glad to hear your house is ok Clayton.  That looks very serious.  It's amazing that we haven't heard more about this.
2010-05-07 6:59 PM
in reply to: #2841631

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
I don't exactly look forward to running after a long bike training.  I've do bricks every week and it is weird going from biking to running.  One of the books I read put it this way:  It's a mental game.  You can run fast after getting off the bike.  You have to convince yourself you can do it.  You have to train to do it.  I'm still not used to it.  Currently I'm just getting used to the feel.  Another couple months I'll actually try running harder/faster.  Fortunately the training program I'm on only asks me to run for 15 minutes following a bike workout for now.  Guess what?  My legs haven't fallen off!  It's very challenging but that's where the fun is.  Looking forward to 3 years from now Laughing.
2010-05-08 10:10 AM

User image

NH
I find running off the bike feels weird, but you're actually going a lot faster than you think.  I try to keep a slow pace but high cadence for the first few hundred yards, just to get the blood flowing into the right places, then I start to see what my legs have in them.

I'm planning to do a lot of VERY short runs off my longer bikes, like a mile tops, so as to get used to the feel but not really affect the other real workouts I have planned.
2010-05-08 12:40 PM
in reply to: #2845193

User image

Expert
DannyK - 2010-05-07 7:59 PM I don't exactly look forward to running after a long bike training.  I've do bricks every week and it is weird going from biking to running.  One of the books I read put it this way:  It's a mental game.  You can run fast after getting off the bike.  You have to convince yourself you can do it.  You have to train to do it.  I'm still not used to it.

The good news is you will get used to it with time and training.

Currently I'm just getting used to the feel.  Another couple months I'll actually try running harder/faster.  Fortunately the training program I'm on only asks me to run for 15 minutes following a bike workout for now.  Guess what?  My legs haven't fallen off!  It's very challenging but that's where the fun is.  Looking forward to 3 years from now Laughing.

Yes, a good challenge is definitely fun!

Anthony

2010-05-08 12:56 PM
in reply to: #2845803

User image

Expert
wbayek - 2010-05-08 11:10 AM I find running off the bike feels weird, but you're actually going a lot faster than you think.

Absolutely. It's so strange but you really ARE running faster than you think.

I try to keep a slow pace but high cadence for the first few hundred yards, just to get the blood flowing into the right places, then I start to see what my legs have in them.

Yes. Slow pace, but fast turnover, so you are taking pretty short steps really gets the legs back to feeling "normal" very nicely.

I'm planning to do a lot of VERY short runs off my longer bikes, like a mile tops, so as to get used to the feel but not really affect the other real workouts I have planned.

I will do the same tomorrow. I have a challenging bike ride planned and then I will do a short run after a quick transition. I may go a little longer, but I will probably only do a mile. You are correct about not wanting to affect the other workouts.

Anthony
2010-05-09 9:05 AM

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD

I was thinking about the transition from bike to run yesterday, while biking.   As we approached back to the park where we started.  I geared down, so my cadence was higher and I would stand on the pedals to stretch my back, and also try to stretch out my calfs.  I am planning on a short ride and run this afternoon...small brick to see how I do.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY !!!!

2010-05-09 8:03 PM

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
I did my first OWS yesterday with my wetsuit.  It went well.  Was able to sight very well.  After the swim took a short 7 mile bike ride.  Love that park and will go back to ride there more.  Lots of geese with little ones along the road of the park.  They would hiss at me as I rode by.  One actually started chasing me!

Today did another small brick.  Rode for 8 miles in an medical/industrial park.  A lot of turns and stop signs but the ride felt good.  I did the flying dismount, put the bike in the back of the truck, slipped on my running shoes and took off.  Legs felt good with no wobble like I had the first time I tried this.  Only ran a half mile.  Should make that 1-2 miles each time to really get the most out of it. 

Tomorrow will be a 3 mile run and then a swim.  Tuesday is my long bike ride, 25 miles.  Wednesday will be run again.  Thursday we drive to the beach after work.  Friday I will have a very short run and swim in the ocean for a bit.  The tri is Saturday morning.  Looking forward to the beach weekend with my wife.
2010-05-10 8:57 AM

User image

Oklahoma
Well, my ITBS is still a problem.  Undecided  I tried an  easy 3 mile run on Sat morning, and by mi 1 it was bugging me.  I had to walk several times during the remainder of the run.  I don't think I am going to heal enough to do the Oly tri in 3 weeks.  I don't think I can handle running 6 miles right now.  I am considering of doing the sprint distance which is offered the day before, June 5.  I am doing the stretches, deep water running, and I took Ibuprofen for a week (also helped by back problem).  I will also get a foam roller this week.  What do you guys think?  Do you think I should even do the sprint?
2010-05-10 2:03 PM
in reply to: #2846796

User image

Expert
scott1223 - 2010-05-09 10:05 AM

I was thinking about the transition from bike to run yesterday, while biking.   As we approached back to the park where we started.  I geared down, so my cadence was higher and I would stand on the pedals to stretch my back, and also try to stretch out my calfs.  I am planning on a short ride and run this afternoon...small brick to see how I do.

That was a good ride; I checked out that Columbia Oly bike course and it has some good hills.  Did you get to do that short brick?

Anthony

2010-05-10 2:10 PM
in reply to: #2847457

User image

Expert
triton63 - 2010-05-09 9:03 PM I did my first OWS yesterday with my wetsuit.  It went well.  Was able to sight very well.  After the swim took a short 7 mile bike ride.  Love that park and will go back to ride there more.  Lots of geese with little ones along the road of the park.  They would hiss at me as I rode by.  One actually started chasing me!

That's great that you were able to practice an OWS with your wetsuit, and that it went well. I'm impressed that you were able to sight well, since it's something I have trouble with. I usually try to stay with a pack in a race. Did you feel good on the bike after swimming?

Today did another small brick.  Rode for 8 miles in an medical/industrial park.  A lot of turns and stop signs but the ride felt good.  I did the flying dismount, put the bike in the back of the truck, slipped on my running shoes and took off.  Legs felt good with no wobble like I had the first time I tried this.  Only ran a half mile.  Should make that 1-2 miles each time to really get the most out of it.

Glad to hear it felt better! I think 1 mile is good because that should be far enough to feel like you are in a normal running groove.

Tomorrow will be a 3 mile run and then a swim.  Tuesday is my long bike ride, 25 miles.  Wednesday will be run again.  Thursday we drive to the beach after work.  Friday I will have a very short run and swim in the ocean for a bit.  The tri is Saturday morning.  Looking forward to the beach weekend with my wife.

Sounds like a great weekend!

Anthony
2010-05-10 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2848074

Veteran
LaGrange, GA
Okie,  Sorry to hear about the injury.  As to if you should do the sprint or rest...only you can tell that based on your runs now.  It sounds like that might be too much too soon.  I hope you recover quickly and are able to schedule another Oly soon.  Best of luck!
2010-05-10 2:51 PM
in reply to: #2848074

User image

Expert
OkiePrill - 2010-05-10 9:57 AM Well, my ITBS is still a problem.  Undecided  I tried an  easy 3 mile run on Sat morning, and by mi 1 it was bugging me.  I had to walk several times during the remainder of the run.  I don't think I am going to heal enough to do the Oly tri in 3 weeks.  I don't think I can handle running 6 miles right now.  I am considering of doing the sprint distance which is offered the day before, June 5.  I am doing the stretches, deep water running, and I took Ibuprofen for a week (also helped by back problem).  I will also get a foam roller this week.  What do you guys think?  Do you think I should even do the sprint?

Well, that is bad news I don't like to hear about injuries. Good idea to get the foam roller.

As far as the race goes, in my opinion you can do the sprint or maybe even the Oly IF you are willing and able to be careful, take it easy, and walk as much as you have to. The one thing you don't want to do is push yourself too hard because it's a race, and you have that adrenaline rush, and end up injuring yourself more.

Anthony
2010-05-10 3:02 PM
in reply to: #2849202

User image

Oklahoma
amschrod - 2010-05-10 2:51 PM [The one thing you don't want to do is push yourself too hard because it's a race, and you have that adrenaline rush, and end up injuring yourself more.

Well, I wasn't planning to really race (even w/o injury).  This is my first Oly so I was simply wanting to complete it.  I guess I will see how I do the next couple weeks.  I don't need to register until the week of the event, so I can wait to decide.  But I am leaning toward doing the Sprint, to be safe.  There is another local Oly in Aug (but that means hotter weather and it is hilly!!)
2010-05-10 4:47 PM
in reply to: #2849232

User image

NH
OkiePrill - 2010-05-10 4:02 PM
amschrod - 2010-05-10 2:51 PM [The one thing you don't want to do is push yourself too hard because it's a race, and you have that adrenaline rush, and end up injuring yourself more.

Well, I wasn't planning to really race (even w/o injury).  This is my first Oly so I was simply wanting to complete it.  I guess I will see how I do the next couple weeks.  I don't need to register until the week of the event, so I can wait to decide.  But I am leaning toward doing the Sprint, to be safe.  There is another local Oly in Aug (but that means hotter weather and it is hilly!!)

IT issues are one of the rare leg issue you can work through - IF you're very careful.  As Anthony says, don't push through the pain, but use it as a warning.  Roll every night.  And work on hip flexibility and strength.  Do the Oly you want, but be smart.  It's good that you get to wait; if you feel ready to complete it, go for it.

2010-05-10 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2849558

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
wbayek - 2010-05-10 5:47 PM

IT issues are one of the rare leg issue you can work through - IF you're very careful.  As Anthony says, don't push through the pain, but use it as a warning.  Roll every night.  And work on hip flexibility and strength.  Do the Oly you want, but be smart.  It's good that you get to wait; if you feel ready to complete it, go for it.

I agree with Anthony and Warren, listen to your body and DO NOT push it.   Better to see how you are responding to light strength and flex training.

2010-05-10 4:57 PM
in reply to: #2849059

User image

Veteran
Severna Park, MD
amschrod - 2010-05-10 3:03 PM
scott1223 - 2010-05-09 10:05 AM

That was a good ride; I checked out that Columbia Oly bike course and it has some good hills.  Did you get to do that short brick?

Anthony

Was not able to get in any workout yesterday.  But I am off for a run now. I will see about working in a brick later in the week.  Mothers Day was a full plate.
2010-05-10 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2849232

User image

Expert

It's good that you can wait until the week of the event to decide. I also would lean toward the sprint. Local Oly in August sounds like a good idea.

Maybe if we all send good vibes from all over the country towards Oklahoma, you will heal up quicker

Anthony
2010-05-10 7:38 PM
in reply to: #2849601

User image

Regular
Tallmadge
Okie:

Stretch stretch stretch....and yoga yoga yoga...do you know anyone who has P90X?  Borrow the CD #4 the Yoga workout......it can do miracles......oh.....and keep swimmingLaughing.  I actually get more out of the Yoga workout than I do any stretching routine.  It's done wonders for my nagging injuries.
2010-05-11 8:33 AM

User image

Oklahoma
Hey Guys,  Just in case you have been watching the weather news and made the connection to my screen name - Yes we had tornadoes in my town (Norman, OK), but I most of the city was spared.  We thankfully are fine, but, among many others, my old professor lost his whole house in the storm.  
--Priscilla

2010-05-11 9:00 AM

User image

NH
I can't imagine tornadoes.  Here in New England we just die a slow painful death with miserable weather year round!

I agree with Danny.  Yoga is great - balance, stretching, strength, all in one.  That P90x yoga is pretty intense though.  I still use it, but I skip most of the first 40 minutes and get right to the stretching parts!
2010-05-11 10:30 AM
in reply to: #2850708

User image

Expert
OkiePrill - 2010-05-11 9:33 AM Hey Guys,  Just in case you have been watching the weather news and made the connection to my screen name - Yes we had tornadoes in my town (Norman, OK), but I most of the city was spared.  We thankfully are fine, but, among many others, my old professor lost his whole house in the storm.  
--Priscilla

I've been watching, but I didn't know you were in Norman. Good to hear you are fine. Is it early in the season for tornadoes?

Anthony

Edited by amschrod 2010-05-11 10:50 AM
2010-05-11 10:37 AM
in reply to: #2851092

User image

Oklahoma
amschrod - 2010-05-11 10:30 AM
OkiePrill - 2010-05-11 9:33 AM Hey Guys, Just in case you have been watching the weather news and made the connection to my screen name - Yes we had tornadoes in my town (Norman, OK), but I most of the city was spared. We thankfully are fine, but, among many others, my old professor lost his whole house in the storm.
--Priscilla

I've been watching, but I didn't know you were in Norman. Good to hear are fine. Is it early in the season for tornadoes?

Anthony

No, the timing is about right.  11 years ago we had a massive, devasting tornado go just north of Norman on May 3rd.  The link below is video of the beginning formation of one of yesterday's tornados.  This was shot about 1 mi from my office.

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-weather-severe-weather-tornadoes-may10-story,0,6096400.story

Also, thanks everyone for help with my ITBS questions.  I will wait and see.   My bike ride this am was good.  I adjusted my cleat a bit to help with the ITBS and no pain, not even a twinge.  I will Deep Water Run tomorrow (if we don't have T-storms).  I don't have PX90, but I will do my Yoga DVD tonight and see if that helps.
2010-05-11 5:52 PM

User image

Expert
On Saturday I did my weekly long run and, while I always enjoy my runs, this one was especially good. It was just one of those days when I felt really good physically and mentally. I was doing a hillier route since my upcoming race is very hilly and as I got to the top of the highest point near my house the view was beautiful. There was a cloud cover, but there was still good visibility, and there are no trees at the top of this hill to obstruct the view. Here are a couple of pictures that I took on another, sunny day. They don't really do it justice, but I hope you get an idea of what it's like.

The Hudson River is about 20 miles to the east. The last hills you can see are just on the other side of the river:

Looking north you can see the Shawangunk Ridge. If any of you are climbers, you may know it because it has some great rock climbing:

Then, about half way through the run, the rain started. Heavy rain, but with no wind, so it still felt gentle. I absolutely love to run in the rain. Somehow, it gets me more into my own little world where no one can bother me, and I can really feel that "runner's high."

As I was halfway up the last hill I thought that, while I may not be particularly fast, I do OK for a 52 year old very average guy.  A lot of men my age wouldn't even want to walk up that hill, and if they did, they would probably have to stop for coffee and a doughnut half way up

This all sounds a little goofy, but I just wanted to share with you how much I enjoy running, and what a great part of my life it is. Some of you are pretty new to running, and believe me, I know it can be hard. When I started training for my first 10K I thought I wouldn't be able to make it. Now it is one of the best parts of my week.

Anthony

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » amschrod's mentor group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 24