BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2010-05-06 7:09 AM
in reply to: #2838697

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Subject: RE: Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED
cquin534 - 2010-05-05 12:49 PM Sorry Andrew thats really horrible.  It sounds like you have a good attitude though, and even though you're in for some PT there will be some things (like stationary biking) you can hopefully get back into pretty quickly.  I've have surgery on both of my shouders in the past three years (torn labrums-similar to a rotator cuff tear), and while it sux, I was able to get back on a bike in a month.   The PT was about 6 months for each and 9 months before I was back to normal, but hopefully your recovery time is much faster. Good luck.
On a seperate note, if anyone else lives in Boston do you know of a good place to get swimming lessons?  Colin, your advice has helped, but I definitely don't feel like I'm progressing fast enough.  I think a little one on one guidance would do me a lot of good.
Thanks

Hey Chad,

Let me get back to you on this.  I have a friend that I coach with that knows a lot of swim coaches in the area.  I'll email her know and see if she has any recommendations.

2010-05-06 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2840546

User image

Expert
MI
Hey Colin,

No I haven't figured out a plan for the HIM yet.  I'd like to "officially" start training for the HIM after my half-marathon (6/6), which would give me 13-14 weeks.  I would like to do a bit more than "just finish." Do you have any suggestions as far as training plans go?

I feel pretty comfortable with what I'll be doing until the sprint tri at the end of the month.  I am happy to report that for the swimming, I found an oly plan to follow, so it will include 2 days of drills/intervals!  lol.  This week and next, I'll also be adding a continuous long swim or two as well.

Thanks!
2010-05-07 7:40 AM
in reply to: #2840546

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
  On a seperate note, if anyone else lives in Boston do you know of a good place to get swimming lessons?  Colin, your advice has helped, but I definitely don't feel like I'm progressing fast enough.  I think a little one on one guidance would do me a lot of good.
Thanks

Hey Chad,

I heard back from my friend that I asked about coaches in Boston and unfortunately she doesn't know of any anymore.  You may want to give a guy named Josef Kurtz a call.  He's the swim coach for the Boston Triathlon Team.  I guess he is MIT's swim coach and also runs a masters swim at BU.  I have met him before and he was a really nice guy, but I'm not sure if he does private lessons, but probably does (could be pricey though).  However, joining a Master's swim class like his could be great for you.  Depending on the coach that run's it, they typically will give instruction to the less experienced swimmers.  His number is 617-241-7891 and his email is [email protected].  I would give him a call and tell him see what he recommends.

Another option would be to come train with my tri team at Walden Pond (Concord, MA).  Unfortunately I'm gone the next 3 weekends (racing this Sunday, USAT coaching cert in Florida next weekend, and have the New England Ragnar Relay race the weekend after that), but if you joined us there, I would be more than happy to give you some help.  Do you have a wetsuit?  Let me know if you have any interest in that.
2010-05-07 7:54 AM
in reply to: #2841789

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-05-06 2:28 PM Hey Colin,

No I haven't figured out a plan for the HIM yet.  I'd like to "officially" start training for the HIM after my half-marathon (6/6), which would give me 13-14 weeks.  I would like to do a bit more than "just finish." Do you have any suggestions as far as training plans go?

I feel pretty comfortable with what I'll be doing until the sprint tri at the end of the month.  I am happy to report that for the swimming, I found an oly plan to follow, so it will include 2 days of drills/intervals!  lol.  This week and next, I'll also be adding a continuous long swim or two as well.

Thanks!

Hey Samantha,

So what exactly is the date of your HIM?  We may be able to work something out where you wait to start your HIM training plan after the half mary, but you'll want to make sure you're still swimming and biking before then.  Let me know the date and I try to figure which program makes the most sense for you.
2010-05-07 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2843164

User image

Expert
MI

My HIM is on 9/11.  Also, I'm thinking about doing an October half or full marathon (depending on how I feel after my June half), in which case, for the running portion of the HIM I would probably use a running-specific plan... So really I guess I'm looking for a plan to follow for swimming and biking.

Also, a bit unrelated.  Do you think I would realistically be able to do a 5K open water swim at the end of August??? Laughing I was looking into open water swim events and discovered there's a 5K that will be taking place in my area and thought that would be neat!!  But not sure if that'd be too much.  Can I build my current long swim of 1750m safely to 5K within a few months?  Really not sure if I'd want to commit, but I'm wondering if it's something I would want to further consider... If not a 5K, it looks like there are a couple mile swims around here as well which I think I may want to do.

Thanks!!

2010-05-07 4:43 PM
in reply to: #2838727

Orlando, FL
sbright - 2010-05-05 12:57 PM Thanks!  I will definitely be looking into that program.  Should I be using a spinning bike, an upright bike, what? 

I personally use an upright bike in the gym, because it gives me data, which a spinning bike doesn't, and is positioned like my own bike, while a recumbent isn't.

Also, if your gym offers spinning classes, I suggest you try them out. They are definitely different from getting outside and riding, but for me they offer a lot of motivation from the instructor yelling at you and are a nice change in workouts once in a while.

Just keep up the riding and before you know it, it'll be more fun than when you were a kid!

Andrew

2010-05-08 3:41 AM
in reply to: #2776638

User image

Hey Gang... long time no post!  First off, Andrew, I am so sorry about the injury.  I hope you are recovering well, Buddy!  And congrats to everyone sticking with this and making progress!!

Now for my confession... Bless me Colin, for I have procrastinated!!

After having the best workout ever I have basically gone 2 weeks doing little if anything to build upon it.  I could give excuses/justifications but, the truth is I did not make the workout time more of a priority.  Shame on me!  Normally this would probably be the point where I would throw in the towel and give up but, between you guys and all the folks around me I have told about this wacky idea of doing a triatlon at 48, I have decided to continue to "Trudge".  Fortunately, while the times may not be the best, I still feel as though I can meet my first goal of "Finishing" the Tri for Joe that is 3 weeks away!  After looking at the stats from previous years, I am adding a secondary goal of finishing the 700m, 30K, 5K in 2:15 or less. Given the lack of training I have done it seems like a resonable time but, only if I really step up in the next 3 weeks.

Ok end of confession, now advice.... 

Swimming... I have made huge progress in the swimming!  Because of the snorkle, I have decreased my strokes for 25m from 23 to 17 while at the same time decreasing my time from 3min/100m to 2min/100m.  Now, I need to figure out how to breath and swim without the snorkle.  I am starting the side kick drills( without the snorkle) and I am trying to time my snorkle breathing with every 3 strokes.  I have also started just bending over in the pool simulating swimming and working on the exhaling before coming up for a breath.  Any other suggestions Colin?

Running... The last time I ran I experienced a lot of foot and leg pain (I guess it was akin to cramping).  A friend suggested that since this has not been that bad in the past that the problem may have be lack of hydration.  If that is a possibilty, what do your recommend on the liquid intake prior to a workout swim/run???

Biking...  My bike is back from the shop and I just need to spend time on the darn thing.

Thanks,

Timmy!
2010-05-08 6:36 AM
in reply to: #2843667

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-05-07 11:13 AM

My HIM is on 9/11.  Also, I'm thinking about doing an October half or full marathon (depending on how I feel after my June half), in which case, for the running portion of the HIM I would probably use a running-specific plan... So really I guess I'm looking for a plan to follow for swimming and biking.

Also, a bit unrelated.  Do you think I would realistically be able to do a 5K open water swim at the end of August??? Laughing I was looking into open water swim events and discovered there's a 5K that will be taking place in my area and thought that would be neat!!  But not sure if that'd be too much.  Can I build my current long swim of 1750m safely to 5K within a few months?  Really not sure if I'd want to commit, but I'm wondering if it's something I would want to further consider... If not a 5K, it looks like there are a couple mile swims around here as well which I think I may want to do.

Thanks!!

Hi Samantha,

I love the aspirations here, but it looks like you're trying to do way too much in too short of a period of time.  I just did some calculations, and as of today, you only have 4 months, 3 days until your HIM.  I did a 5 month training program before my first HIM.  If you wait till after your half marathon to start your training, you'll have 3 months and 5 days to train for the HIM.  By doing so, you're really pushing your luck.

What do you think about starting your HIM training program on Monday?  If you do that, we can start with run focused, but give yourself 4 months to train for your HIM.  This option makes the most sense to me.  What do you think? 

Since you're already signed up for the HIM, I would consider the full marathon and 5K swim for next year.  This will give you another full season to train and just makes a whole lot more sense to me.

I would recommend going with this program.  However, we will need to make some adjustments so you are running more and getting a little more distance in on the run.

Let me know if this is what you would like to do and we can make some adjustments.
2010-05-08 7:05 AM
in reply to: #2845562

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
ET1SW47 - 2010-05-08 4:41 AM Hey Gang... long time no post!  First off, Andrew, I am so sorry about the injury.  I hope you are recovering well, Buddy!  And congrats to everyone sticking with this and making progress!!

After having the best workout ever I have basically gone 2 weeks doing little if anything to build upon it.  I could give excuses/justifications but, the truth is I did not make the workout time more of a priority.  Shame on me!  Normally this would probably be the point where I would throw in the towel and give up but, between you guys and all the folks around me I have told about this wacky idea of doing a triatlon at 48, I have decided to continue to "Trudge".  Fortunately, while the times may not be the best, I still feel as though I can meet my first goal of "Finishing" the Tri for Joe that is 3 weeks away!  After looking at the stats from previous years, I am adding a secondary goal of finishing the 700m, 30K, 5K in 2:15 or less. Given the lack of training I have done it seems like a resonable time but, only if I really step up in the next 3 weeks.

Swimming... I have made huge progress in the swimming!  Because of the snorkle, I have decreased my strokes for 25m from 23 to 17 while at the same time decreasing my time from 3min/100m to 2min/100m.  Now, I need to figure out how to breath and swim without the snorkle.  I am starting the side kick drills( without the snorkle) and I am trying to time my snorkle breathing with every 3 strokes.  I have also started just bending over in the pool simulating swimming and working on the exhaling before coming up for a breath.  Any other suggestions Colin?

Running... The last time I ran I experienced a lot of foot and leg pain (I guess it was akin to cramping).  A friend suggested that since this has not been that bad in the past that the problem may have be lack of hydration.  If that is a possibilty, what do your recommend on the liquid intake prior to a workout swim/run???

Biking...  My bike is back from the shop and I just need to spend time on the darn thing.

Thanks,

Timmy!

Hi Timmy,

I'm sorry to hear that you have fell short on your training over the last couple weeks.  However, if our mentor group has been the reason you decided to stick with it and not quit, this has already been an extremely successful group.  I'm very proud of you and I'm confident you won't regret your decision.  Wait a second, maybe you change professions to being a lawyer because I just praised you and said I was proud of you after you slacked for two weeks of training Smile LOL.  In all seriousness, I think you have built up a strong enough base to still be able to pull this off if you are FULLY committed over the next 3 weeks.

As for your swimming question, the simulated breathing drill you are doing is a great start.  I have my new swimmers do that and it should really help you.  I would recommend starting off your next few swims with that drill.  However, I think now its just time to lose the snorkle and just focus on your breathing.  The gains/improvements you have made with your form are outstanding!  Now its just time to buckle down on your breathing and bring it all together.  Just make sure you keep your pace nice and slow so you can focus on staying come with your breathing.

As for you running, it could have just been an off day where your body was a little off or a hydration issue.  Whenever someone has pain like you've described, my first question is always about their shoes.  How old and what condition are your shoes in?  A lot of people try to push a few extra miles out of their shoes and it ends up costing them.  Also, have you experienced any similar pains to this before?  Lastly, were you fitted for the shoes you are running in?  You could be running in a shoe that isn't meant for your foot type.

Really glad to here from you Timmy.  Stick to the game plan and you'll be fine in a couple weeks.
2010-05-08 9:12 AM
in reply to: #2845608

User image

Expert
MI
hockeyhands - 2010-05-08 7:36 AM
Hi Samantha,

I love the aspirations here, but it looks like you're trying to do way too much in too short of a period of time.  I just did some calculations, and as of today, you only have 4 months, 3 days until your HIM.  I did a 5 month training program before my first HIM.  If you wait till after your half marathon to start your training, you'll have 3 months and 5 days to train for the HIM.  By doing so, you're really pushing your luck.

What do you think about starting your HIM training program on Monday?  If you do that, we can start with run focused, but give yourself 4 months to train for your HIM.  This option makes the most sense to me.  What do you think? 

Since you're already signed up for the HIM, I would consider the full marathon and 5K swim for next year.  This will give you another full season to train and just makes a whole lot more sense to me.

I would recommend going with this program.  However, we will need to make some adjustments so you are running more and getting a little more distance in on the run.

Let me know if this is what you would like to do and we can make some adjustments.

Hi Colin, thanks for the response. 

I thought to start after my half-marathon because I don't feel I will be getting too many quality workouts in during the two weeks between 5/24 and 6/6 with the tapering for the sprint tri and more importantly the half marathon.  Since I won't be "training through" the half mary, I will probably only be doing one swim/bike that week.  Also, I really won't be able to do too much the week before that either since I'll be headed down to Florida on Wed 5/19.  I do plan on trying to get in my important running/swimming workouts on Mon/Tues, and actually the biking is pretty much taken care of for the week since I'll be taking my bike down and we plan on stopping off (we're driving) at maybe 2-3 places to bike for 20-30 miles over the course of the week.

So basically, between 5/19 and 6/6 I figured I wouldn't really be following the plan, so I would just start afterwards.  But I mean I don't have a problem with following the BT plan for swimming/biking starting next week and up until 5/19... although to be honest I like the Oly plan I'm following for the swimming portion leading up to the sprint since it's got the peak and taper incorporated in... So with all this said, this is why I had thought to "officially" start following an HIM plan after the half-marathon...

As for the running, to be honest, with any training plan I decide to go with, I will most likely be ignoring the running part and just using the FIRST training plan for the runs.

Am I really going to be in that bad of a position if I were to start an HIM program 14 weeks out?  I guess I am being a bit naive (and a newb!), but since I feel as though if the race were tomorrow I would be able to (safely) complete a 1.2 mile swim and 13.1 mile run, I thought 13 weeks would be a good amount of time to prep specifically for the HIM.  Granted, I've got work to do on my biking as I wouldn't be able to, nor would I want to, bike 56 miles tomorrow... but I also thought 13 weeks wouldn't be bad for that either.

Thanks!

2010-05-08 9:15 AM
in reply to: #2845562

User image

Expert
MI
ET1SW47 - 2010-05-08 4:41 AM Hey Gang... long time no post!  First off, Andrew, I am so sorry about the injury.  I hope you are recovering well, Buddy!  And congrats to everyone sticking with this and making progress!!

Thanks,

Timmy!

Hey Timmy!  Glad to have you back!

2010-05-09 8:39 PM

I did a killer trail 10K this weekend in San Diego.  It had a 10% grade for about 2 kilometers.  It kicked my butt.  But, it was an awesome race.  I am new to these run races, but, while running I realized that it is a mental challenge like no other.  I was hurting but I continued.  I actually enjoyed that part.  It is a race against myself. 

Good stuff.  Did not run to well and had to walk some of the steep hills but I finished.  I have  a 37 mile bike ride coming up in two weeks.

2010-05-10 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2845742

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-05-08 10:12 AM

Hi Colin, thanks for the response. 

I thought to start after my half-marathon because I don't feel I will be getting too many quality workouts in during the two weeks between 5/24 and 6/6 with the tapering for the sprint tri and more importantly the half marathon.  Since I won't be "training through" the half mary, I will probably only be doing one swim/bike that week.  Also, I really won't be able to do too much the week before that either since I'll be headed down to Florida on Wed 5/19.  I do plan on trying to get in my important running/swimming workouts on Mon/Tues, and actually the biking is pretty much taken care of for the week since I'll be taking my bike down and we plan on stopping off (we're driving) at maybe 2-3 places to bike for 20-30 miles over the course of the week.

So basically, between 5/19 and 6/6 I figured I wouldn't really be following the plan, so I would just start afterwards.  But I mean I don't have a problem with following the BT plan for swimming/biking starting next week and up until 5/19... although to be honest I like the Oly plan I'm following for the swimming portion leading up to the sprint since it's got the peak and taper incorporated in... So with all this said, this is why I had thought to "officially" start following an HIM plan after the half-marathon...

As for the running, to be honest, with any training plan I decide to go with, I will most likely be ignoring the running part and just using the FIRST training plan for the runs.

Am I really going to be in that bad of a position if I were to start an HIM program 14 weeks out?  I guess I am being a bit naive (and a newb!), but since I feel as though if the race were tomorrow I would be able to (safely) complete a 1.2 mile swim and 13.1 mile run, I thought 13 weeks would be a good amount of time to prep specifically for the HIM.  Granted, I've got work to do on my biking as I wouldn't be able to, nor would I want to, bike 56 miles tomorrow... but I also thought 13 weeks wouldn't be bad for that either.

Thanks!

Hey Samantha,

Sorry about the delaying in getting back to you.  I did read your message the other day, but have been thinking about my response before answering.  Anyway, I have some mixed feelings about what you're trying to do.  Since its your first season, I can see you desire to taper before your sprint and half marathon.  I'm ok with you tapering somewhat for these events, but I do not recommend taping as much as someone that doesn't have longer events coming up in the season.

With your background, I'm concerned about you being really ready for you HIM.  Is it doable in 14 weeks?  Absolutely!  However, my job as your "mentor," I want to make sure you are as ready as possible for your event.  As I mentioned previously, the route you would like to take is not my recommendation, but it is totally your decision.  I may have a better/different answer for you when I get back from my USAT coaching certification class this weekend.  I think you will be fine with your plan of attach, but I do not think it is the best approach. 
2010-05-10 3:36 PM
in reply to: #2847514

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Slowboy3094 - 2010-05-09 9:39 PM I did a killer trail 10K this weekend in San Diego.  It had a 10% grade for about 2 kilometers.  It kicked my butt.  But, it was an awesome race.  I am new to these run races, but, while running I realized that it is a mental challenge like no other.  I was hurting but I continued.  I actually enjoyed that part.  It is a race against myself. 

Good stuff.  Did not run to well and had to walk some of the steep hills but I finished.  I have  a 37 mile bike ride coming up in two weeks.

Awesome job Chris!  That sounds like one tough race!!!  It takes a lot of mental toughness to keep pushing when you're hurting.  I actually love that feeling and it makes you feel great when you finish.

Make sure you get some solid rides in before your ride in a couple weeks.  It sounds to me like you're going to do great with it.
2010-05-10 3:49 PM

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
Hi Everyone,

So how's everyone's training going?  Weekly updates would be greatly appreciated.

To give you all a little update for myself, I had my first tri of the year yesterday!  It ended up being quite an event.  It was extremely windy, 20-25 mile an hour winds all day so there were REALLY tough conditions.  The swim was in a reservoir, but there were white caps and the current was pretty serious.  The swim went well for me, but it was harder than a lot of ocean swims I have done.  I was in the first wave of the race so I did the full race, but they ended up canceling the swim half way through the race (I think 4 of the 6 waves got to swim).  My Dad was unfortunately one of the waves that didn't get to swim and he was pretty disappointed.  But apparently the rescue boat as well as a few kayaks capsized during the race and it was quite a mess.  Luckily no one was injured, but the race even ended up making the news because of this!

I ended up finishing 20th overall, which wasn't too bad.  I was planning/hoping for a top 10 finish, but I had some cramping issues on my run.  Nonetheless it was a fun race and there were some really fast people doing in, including some pros.  It was great to get a race under my belt this season before my half Ironman in June.

As for this week, I'm heading down to Orlando on Thursday to attend the USAT coaching certification course.  I'm really excited about this and I've heard from some friends that have done it that it is really educational.  However, I'm not going to be available as much as normal from Thursday to Sunday.  Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure I'll have some time to check in.  Hopefully I'm also going to have time to meet up with Andrew as he lives in the area.

Thanks everyone.  Train well!
2010-05-10 6:32 PM
in reply to: #2849321

User image

Expert
MI

Hey Colin, thanks for your thoughts!  I totally get what you're saying.

In terms of priority (at this point in time!) I am feeling as though my half marathon is more important to me than the HIM.  (Of course this is easy to say since my HIM is much further away. )  But anyway, I guess it's as you said, this is in part because it's my first season... since this is one of the first races I feel I've actually really trained for, I'd really like to see how my training has paid off. (Assuming it has. ) And the half-marathon I think will be that chance and I'd like to do as best as possible.  So I guess what I'm saying is that I am willing to sacrifice HIM training to taper for the half-mary.  (The sprint taper is more by default since I'm doing a two-week HM taper.)  So, I think I will go ahead with the taper, and start the BT HIM plan soon after the half-marathon.

Just out of curiosity, what HIM plan did you follow last year?  And while we're at it, what plan are you following for your IM training?

2010-05-10 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2849378

User image

Expert
MI
hockeyhands - 2010-05-10 4:49 PM Hi Everyone,

So how's everyone's training going?  Weekly updates would be greatly appreciated.

To give you all a little update for myself, I had my first tri of the year yesterday!  It ended up being quite an event.  It was extremely windy, 20-25 mile an hour winds all day so there were REALLY tough conditions.  The swim was in a reservoir, but there were white caps and the current was pretty serious.  The swim went well for me, but it was harder than a lot of ocean swims I have done.  I was in the first wave of the race so I did the full race, but they ended up canceling the swim half way through the race (I think 4 of the 6 waves got to swim).  My Dad was unfortunately one of the waves that didn't get to swim and he was pretty disappointed.  But apparently the rescue boat as well as a few kayaks capsized during the race and it was quite a mess.  Luckily no one was injured, but the race even ended up making the news because of this!

I ended up finishing 20th overall, which wasn't too bad.  I was planning/hoping for a top 10 finish, but I had some cramping issues on my run.  Nonetheless it was a fun race and there were some really fast people doing in, including some pros.  It was great to get a race under my belt this season before my half Ironman in June.

As for this week, I'm heading down to Orlando on Thursday to attend the USAT coaching certification course.  I'm really excited about this and I've heard from some friends that have done it that it is really educational.  However, I'm not going to be available as much as normal from Thursday to Sunday.  Nonetheless, I'm pretty sure I'll have some time to check in.  Hopefully I'm also going to have time to meet up with Andrew as he lives in the area.

Triathlons making the news- what?!  haha.  But really, that sounds like it was a brutal race!!  That is really too bad not everyone was able to do the swim, man!  I read your race report- sorry to hear about your disappointing race, but better that these issues come up now so that you can hopefully prevent it from happening during your bigger events right?

Funny, looks like I'll be missing you in Orlando by just a few days!  I think I'll be there the following Thursday after you leave.  I'll probably be stopping by for just a few hours before heading to Lakeland (which is kinda nearby) to visit an old tennis coach who lives down in FL now... final destination is Sarasota- my cousin is getting married!  I was hoping to get in some swimming in the ocean while I'm down there, but I'm not sure with the oil spill.  I haven't really been keeping a close eye on it, but I'm hoping it'll avoid impacting that area for my own sake, ha!
2010-05-10 10:26 PM

User image

hockeyhands - 2010-05-10 4:49 PM Hi Everyone,

Uploading training into the logs on here.  Don't know if you can get there or not....  either way, I'm doing reasonably well sticking to the plan.  Only thing that has me concerned is the plan I have is all time based.  I guess it's not bad to kind of get in the swing of things, but I'm going to see about putting some LOE goals in there.

That sucks on the wind and sounds you got caught by some of the same system that was down here.  In MD there were 20-25 sustained with gusts to 40+ (I guess).  At times is was a challenge to just maintain any speed.  Ride back was nice and quick though.  I'm just glad I hadn't signed up for some rifle matches over in DE that weekend.  It would have been a waste of time and ammo.

I'm on the road for the next 2 weeks down at Ft Benning, GA for World Champs Team tryouts.  Matches only last for a few hours per day, so I have the bike in the back seat of the Trooper and found a local pool.  Should be able to get some decent training in (hopefully, I'll shoot well at the matches too).  Then it's home for a few days, then off to Denver for a week, etc. etc. etc.  I feel like I should be selling something with all this traveling.....

Take Care,
Mark
2010-05-11 7:31 AM

User image

Hi Colin,

I guess I haven't been too good about giving weekly updates on my training...aside from complaining about swimming that is.  I was wondering if you, or anyone would mind taking a look at my training log and letting me know your thoughts.  I'm about 1 month into my program, and you might notice that I am having a tough time letting go of my strength training.  Up until I decided to do a tri, that was always my focus with just enough running built in to stay in decent cardio shape.  I know strength training is a good compliment to anyone's training, but I wanted to see if you think I am doing too much in that area, and not enough running/swimming/biking.
I am pretty sure I made my logs public, but if not just let me know.
Thanks!
2010-05-11 9:05 AM
in reply to: #2849734

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-05-10 7:32 PM

Hey Colin, thanks for your thoughts!  I totally get what you're saying.

In terms of priority (at this point in time!) I am feeling as though my half marathon is more important to me than the HIM.  (Of course this is easy to say since my HIM is much further away. )  But anyway, I guess it's as you said, this is in part because it's my first season... since this is one of the first races I feel I've actually really trained for, I'd really like to see how my training has paid off. (Assuming it has. ) And the half-marathon I think will be that chance and I'd like to do as best as possible.  So I guess what I'm saying is that I am willing to sacrifice HIM training to taper for the half-mary.  (The sprint taper is more by default since I'm doing a two-week HM taper.)  So, I think I will go ahead with the taper, and start the BT HIM plan soon after the half-marathon.

Just out of curiosity, what HIM plan did you follow last year?  And while we're at it, what plan are you following for your IM training?

Good stuff Samantha!  I kinda felt like I was coming across a little harsh yesterday so I'm glad you took my comments the right way Smile.  You're going to achieve some excellent things this year if you stick to your training, which I'm confident you will be doing.

You can work on this for planning for next year and this could be good for everyone to read, but when planning your race season, you should categorize your races by priority.  Joe Friel, author of the Triathlete's Bible, recommends prioritizing each race as either an A (top priority), B (important, but not priority), and C (not important, just want to do the event).  Now, depending on how many races you do and how close together they are together, it is important to prioritize your races.  So from you have described, it sounds like your tri will be a C, maybe B race, your half marathon is an A race, and your HIM is a B race.

For my HIM last year, I followed the Beginner 1/2 Ironman - 20 Weeks program.  I liked that program and it did work out well for me.  Right now, I am actually following the Half Ironman - 20 Week program as I'm not starting my official IM training until after my HIM in June.  I haven't fully decided which training program I am going to use for my IM.  I think I may actually use one of Endurance Nation's plans.

2010-05-11 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2849768

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
michgirlsk - 2010-05-10 7:51 PM

Triathlons making the news- what?!  haha.  But really, that sounds like it was a brutal race!!  That is really too bad not everyone was able to do the swim, man!  I read your race report- sorry to hear about your disappointing race, but better that these issues come up now so that you can hopefully prevent it from happening during your bigger events right?

Funny, looks like I'll be missing you in Orlando by just a few days!  I think I'll be there the following Thursday after you leave.  I'll probably be stopping by for just a few hours before heading to Lakeland (which is kinda nearby) to visit an old tennis coach who lives down in FL now... final destination is Sarasota- my cousin is getting married!  I was hoping to get in some swimming in the ocean while I'm down there, but I'm not sure with the oil spill.  I haven't really been keeping a close eye on it, but I'm hoping it'll avoid impacting that area for my own sake, ha!

Haha yeah, you know it must have been pretty crazy if a tri make the news...

You're exactly right about this race for me.  It was a good learning experience and I think it should help prepare me for my more important races coming up.  This was a "C" race for me.

That is too bad about Orlando!  Hopefully I'm going to meet up with Andrew while I'm there and it would have been great to meet you as well.  Oh yeah, maybe sometime down the road.Smile I hope you have a great trip as well as it sounds like it should be a blast!

2010-05-11 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2850211

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
mdgould - 2010-05-10 11:26 PM [QUOTE
Uploading training into the logs on here.  Don't know if you can get there or not....  either way, I'm doing reasonably well sticking to the plan.  Only thing that has me concerned is the plan I have is all time based.  I guess it's not bad to kind of get in the swing of things, but I'm going to see about putting some LOE goals in there.

That sucks on the wind and sounds you got caught by some of the same system that was down here.  In MD there were 20-25 sustained with gusts to 40+ (I guess).  At times is was a challenge to just maintain any speed.  Ride back was nice and quick though.  I'm just glad I hadn't signed up for some rifle matches over in DE that weekend.  It would have been a waste of time and ammo.

I'm on the road for the next 2 weeks down at Ft Benning, GA for World Champs Team tryouts.  Matches only last for a few hours per day, so I have the bike in the back seat of the Trooper and found a local pool.  Should be able to get some decent training in (hopefully, I'll shoot well at the matches too).  Then it's home for a few days, then off to Denver for a week, etc. etc. etc.  I feel like I should be selling something with all this traveling.....

Take Care,
Mark

LOL, yeah I couldn't image somewhere being all that account in wind like that!  I still get fascinated every time you talk about your shooting.  You're obviously one heck of a shot if you're talking about going to the World Champs Team tryouts.  It also sounds it could be a great time for you to get some good training in.  I'm also really happy that you've been keeping up with all your training with all the traveling you've been doing.  That's definitely not easy to do.

Keep up the great work and best of luck in your tryouts!
2010-05-11 2:57 PM
in reply to: #2850525

User image

Expert
Bedford, NH
cquin534 - 2010-05-11 8:31 AM Hi Colin,

I guess I haven't been too good about giving weekly updates on my training...aside from complaining about swimming that is.  I was wondering if you, or anyone would mind taking a look at my training log and letting me know your thoughts.  I'm about 1 month into my program, and you might notice that I am having a tough time letting go of my strength training.  Up until I decided to do a tri, that was always my focus with just enough running built in to stay in decent cardio shape.  I know strength training is a good compliment to anyone's training, but I wanted to see if you think I am doing too much in that area, and not enough running/swimming/biking.
I am pretty sure I made my logs public, but if not just let me know.
Thanks!

Hey Chad,

No worries about posting weekly updates.  As long as you're posting and hopefully benefiting from our group, I'm happy!

It does appear that you are spending a lot of time in the gym.  However, for the distance race you're planning to do and you're fitness level, this should be fine.  Nonetheless, if your goal is to get as fast as possible for your race, I think most of that time spent in the gym could be used doing tri sports.  Especially for newbies, cross training is typically not as beneficial as spending time doing swimming, biking, or running.  But if you enjoy going to the gym and lifting, by all means do it.  It certainly won't hurt your training.

Keep it up Chad.  Have you had a chance to speak to that swim coach I referred you to?
2010-05-11 8:13 PM
in reply to: #2852032

User image

Thanks Colin, I just emailed Josef today so I'll let you know what he says.  As for my training, its tough for me to cut back on lifting, but getting fast is definitely more of a priority for me now.  Based on my actual and planned training, do you have any suggestions as to how I should alter my workouts?

Chad
2010-05-11 9:13 PM

Today, I did boxing, biked for 30 min. 7.15, and 1 hour of yoga.

After I met with a nutrionalist and will begin my new plan tomorrow.  It shouldn't be too hard, considering my wife's plan is similar and I kinda follow hers anyways.  So we shall see.

Tomorrow, I am going to get proper swimming technique instruction.  That should be very benificial.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Colin Cook's Mentor Group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 24