of 21

2010-05-17 1:57 PM
in reply to: #2780242

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: RE: BHannahs's Group - FULL!
Race Belts:

Last year I pinned my number on my shirt. But this year bought a race belt. The question is do you like to wear it high (mid-stomach) or around your waist?

This may be a dumb question as I should probably just try it out on an upcoming run and see which way works best for me.

2010-05-17 2:22 PM
in reply to: #2863802

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-05-17 11:57 AM Race Belts:

Last year I pinned my number on my shirt. But this year bought a race belt. The question is do you like to wear it high (mid-stomach) or around your waist?

This may be a dumb question as I should probably just try it out on an upcoming run and see which way works best for me.

Yeah - play around with it and find out where it's most comfortable for you. I tend to wear it under the ribcage - that way, the bib covers up my stomach in the race photos. 

2010-05-17 3:32 PM
in reply to: #2863853

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-05-17 3:22 PM

Yeah - play around with it and find out where it's most comfortable for you. I tend to wear it under the ribcage - that way, the bib covers up my stomach in the race photos. 

LOL......I love gear that can do double duty.
2010-05-18 3:10 PM
in reply to: #2864045

New user

Tampa
acv - 2010-05-17 4:32 PM
BHannahs - 2010-05-17 3:22 PM

LOL......I love gear that can do double duty.

haha! I love that! I need to get a race belt..I learned that at my first tri last saturday, it took way too long to pin my number to my bathing suit! Why didnt I think of that beforehand? LOL
2010-05-18 3:31 PM

I have stomach issues too and this is always a concern for me as well.  I haven't had any new issues since I started running (thank God).  I feel better knowing that other people take Imodium before races because I have a feeling that I will be one of those people.  I thought I was alone with this issue. 

2010-05-18 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2866573

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

kathy79 - 2010-05-18 1:31 PM

I have stomach issues too and this is always a concern for me as well.  I haven't had any new issues since I started running (thank God).  I feel better knowing that other people take Imodium before races because I have a feeling that I will be one of those people.  I thought I was alone with this issue. 

You're definitely not alone - I am a pre-race Immodium taker, and there are several grocery stores and gas stations along my running routes where I am now a little ashamed to show my face.   That's a problem with living in the desert - you don't have the 'duck behind a bush' option.   All of the local foliage is thorny, rough, or otherwise pointy, so stops with restrooms and paper are a must!

2010-05-19 9:33 AM

User image

Veteran

So…. Yesterday during my bike ride my garmin 305 went flying off it mount and broke into several pieces.  I will need to get a replacement.  I plan to get another 305 as I need to know my time, pace, & distance on the run.  But I’m thinking I will not use the garmin on my bike.  I’m going to get something for the bike only.  I want something that can read speed, distance, time, & cadence.  You guys have any suggestion?

2010-05-19 9:45 AM

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
I have heard several people say that theirs fly off, i have mine mounted to a profile design ucm-xl and have never had a problem (knock on wood), but personally, I would do the 305 again, but just wear it on your wrist. I love the garmin connect website for trending and tracking, I am positive i cannot go back to a general bike computer. 
2010-05-19 9:47 AM

New user

Tampa
Could anyone tell me what an 'A' race is? my training program mentions 'A' and 'B' races....not sure what the difference is
2010-05-19 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2868027

User image

Veteran

It so sad I saw a post about them fling off and I told myself I'll make sure I have mine on secure.  After surfing the net to price bike computer, I have decide to buy another 305 again and wear it.

dmwill - could I get a pic of your set up.  I found a picture of the profile design ucm-xl,. but I cant see how that would set up on my bike.  I have a road bike with clip on areo bar.

2010-05-19 10:13 AM
in reply to: #2868038

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
trodrig23 - 2010-05-19 10:47 AM Could anyone tell me what an 'A' race is? my training program mentions 'A' and 'B' races....not sure what the difference is

A races are your all out effort want to do the best you can race.

B races are I'm just out to race and maybe work on few thing like transitions or something. They could even be warm up's for your A races.

PS Even after a year of reading the forums I'm in the dark most of the time as to all the lingo and abbreviations. My weakest is technical bike talk.

Edited by acv 2010-05-19 10:22 AM

2010-05-19 10:28 AM
in reply to: #2868129

New user

Tampa
acv - 2010-05-19 11:13 AM
trodrig23 - 2010-05-19 10:47 AM Could anyone tell me what an 'A' race is? my training program mentions 'A' and 'B' races....not sure what the difference is

A races are your all out effort want to do the best you can race.

B races are I'm just out to race and maybe work on few thing like transitions or something. They could even be warm up's for your A races.

PS Even after a year of reading the forums I'm in the dark most of the time as to all the lingo and abbreviations. My weakest is technical bike talk.

Thank you! I know trying to understand all the lingo for the training plan is becoming a challenge within itself!

I can't imagine racing and not giving it my all... so in that case I will always be doing 'A' races =)
2010-05-19 10:45 AM
in reply to: #2868118

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
I will get you one tonight. 
2010-05-19 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2867999

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

utahrunner - 2010-05-19 7:33 AM

So…. Yesterday during my bike ride my garmin 305 went flying off it mount and broke into several pieces.  I will need to get a replacement.  I plan to get another 305 as I need to know my time, pace, & distance on the run.  But I’m thinking I will not use the garmin on my bike.  I’m going to get something for the bike only.  I want something that can read speed, distance, time, & cadence.  You guys have any suggestion?

I've had good luck with a Cateye Strada w/ cadence on the bike.  They aren't very expensive and have the features that you are looking for.

2010-05-19 2:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

Pedal float Question:

My right knee has always been an issue. This year when running it's been fine but I've had a few issues cycling. I’m using cages on my bike and on one ride I cinched them down too tight and had a little knee pain the next day. Since then I’ve been riding with my foot “loose” in the cage and have worked on higher cadence lower gears to reduce strain. My knee has been better with these adjustments.

I’m thinking that a pedal with a decent amount of float would be the way to go for me. So anyone care to give your opinions on pedal float and which pedals are the most comfortable.

2010-05-19 3:25 PM
in reply to: #2869013

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-05-19 12:27 PM

Pedal float Question:

My right knee has always been an issue. This year when running it's been fine but I've had a few issues cycling. I’m using cages on my bike and on one ride I cinched them down too tight and had a little knee pain the next day. Since then I’ve been riding with my foot “loose” in the cage and have worked on higher cadence lower gears to reduce strain. My knee has been better with these adjustments.

I’m thinking that a pedal with a decent amount of float would be the way to go for me. So anyone care to give your opinions on pedal float and which pedals are the most comfortable.

I've only had experience with SPDs and SPD-SLs, so I don't have a wide range of experience.  Someone may be able to chime in with more information, but I beleive that Look pedals are known for having additional float.  First, though, I would recommend going to a professional bike fitter if you haven't already.  They can examine your position and technique, and adjust you and your bike to the best position, especially in light of your knee issues.  I would also expect that an experienced fitter could recommend a good pedal/cleat combination for you. 

2010-05-19 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2869186

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
BHannahs - 2010-05-19 3:25 PM

Pedal float Question:

I've only had experience with SPDs and SPD-SLs, so I don't have a wide range of experience.  Someone may be able to chime in with more information, but I beleive that Look pedals are known for having additional float.  First, though, I would recommend going to a professional bike fitter if you haven't already.  They can examine your position and technique, and adjust you and your bike to the best position, especially in light of your knee issues.  I would also expect that an experienced fitter could recommend a good pedal/cleat combination for you. 

You should look into the speedplay pedals, they are very well suited for people who have or have had knee/ankle/hip/etc pain. The look style or SPD-SL style are usually very rigid and offer generally up to 6 degrees of float (not a lot) where as the speedplays can offer up to 15 degrees. As an added bonus they are usually lighter than the SPD pedals as well as allowing for dual sided entry.  
2010-05-20 9:55 AM
in reply to: #2869553

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-05-19 7:06 PM
BHannahs - 2010-05-19 3:25 PM

Pedal float Question:

You should look into the speedplay pedals, they are very well suited for people who have or have had knee/ankle/hip/etc pain. The look style or SPD-SL style are usually very rigid and offer generally up to 6 degrees of float (not a lot) where as the speedplays can offer up to 15 degrees. As an added bonus they are usually lighter than the SPD pedals as well as allowing for dual sided entry.  

Speedplay's are on the top of the list right now.

Any idea w?hat would be a good entry level spe?edplay pedal? I'm having trouble sorting out the differences.

Edited by acv 2010-05-20 10:14 AM
2010-05-20 10:12 AM
in reply to: #2869186

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
BHannahs - 2010-05-19 4:25 PM

Pedal float Question:

Brian,

Sigh, I’m still sorting out the bike fit thing. I had the LBS by my work assemble my bike and they set it up for me and adjusted it to “fit” me. Then I took it to the LBS by my home for a derailleur tune up and the owner asked if I had assembled the bike, because there were several things he didn’t like about the way it was put together. So we made some more adjustments. I’ve been tweaking the seat height and angle and have changed my riding style a little recently too.

There are a few bigger bike shops around here and even a tri-shop I’m sure it would be worth going there for a fitting when I buy some shoes/pedals which are on my very short list of things to buy next.

It’s just such a big learning curve and I’ve had some expensive hobbies (technical scuba diving comes to mind) in the past that I’m trying to buy things once or twice and not 10 times.

2010-05-20 10:25 AM

I agree with everyone who says you need to get a good bike fit. My hubby didn't get a good bike fit and now he has major IT band problems and other knee problems and can't ride at all.  The physical therapist told hubby that a good bike fit will take 2 hours.  I had to get mine fitted before I started training and they made some pretty major adjustments to mine.  Good luck. 
2010-05-20 11:32 AM
in reply to: #2870867

User image

Regular
Olathe, KS
What you are describing sounds pretty typical to me, whether its a triathlon bike, road bike, mountain bike, cross bike or whatever bike. different shops like different things, and even how they setup you up initially. If you are going to get shoes and pedals, then get them and have them installed with your cleats, then have a thorough and proper fitting done. I live close to a "Bike Source" who's flagship brand is Specialized, and they offer a two way computerized fitting called "BG Fit" http://cdn.specialized.com/bc/microsite/bgfit/bgfit.html It is pretty pricey by comparison to other fittings, $350.00 + any parts (new saddle, seat post, stem, bars, etc) but after having it done, my bike feels completely new to me, I ride faster, farther and am way more comfortable. I was initially very skeptical about a fitting and the money, but it is the best thing i have had done and I never have to tinker with my saddle, bars, etc, it just fits and I don't have any pain (foot, back, neck, leg). The guys who do this go to an actual school offered by specialized, so its not just some kid guessing, but a proven science that they use on the pro's. 

2010-05-20 12:07 PM
in reply to: #2870793

User image

Regular
SPD =  I ended up going with SPDs, got the Shimano ones that are around $80.  Haven't exactly tried them on a ride yet, but hopefully, that's coming tomorrow.  One of the guys in my spin class is on the local road cycling team and he works on Sat at the LBS and he got me all fitted up and decked out for my first ride.  I can only clip in on one side, but I was going for the most affordable option where I can use my shoes for spin class to get used to the no socks option! 
2010-05-20 12:43 PM
in reply to: #2871171

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
dmwill37 - 2010-05-20 12:32 PM What you are describing sounds pretty typical to me, whether its a triathlon bike, road bike, mountain bike, cross bike or whatever bike. different shops like different things, and even how they setup you up initially. If you are going to get shoes and pedals, then get them and have them installed with your cleats, then have a thorough and proper fitting done. I live close to a "Bike Source" who's flagship brand is Specialized, and they offer a two way computerized fitting called "BG Fit" http://cdn.specialized.com/bc/microsite/bgfit/bgfit.html It is pretty pricey by comparison to other fittings, $350.00 + any parts (new saddle, seat post, stem, bars, etc) but after having it done, my bike feels completely new to me, I ride faster, farther and am way more comfortable. I was initially very skeptical about a fitting and the money, but it is the best thing i have had done and I never have to tinker with my saddle, bars, etc, it just fits and I don't have any pain (foot, back, neck, leg). The guys who do this go to an actual school offered by specialized, so its not just some kid guessing, but a proven science that they use on the pro's. 

Thanks.

The tri-shop near me offers “fittings” they charge $350 and it takes 3 hours to do it. I’m sure it would be money well spent.

I’ve also went to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sport medicines and after a full exam (xrays, etc.) he said there wasn’t anything that he could do for me. In the end he recommended to continue to train to keep the knee “in shape”.

The bike has been a major change for m this year. Last year I used a mountain bike. Switching to a road bike has taken some getting used to.

2010-05-20 12:47 PM
in reply to: #2871435

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

acv - 2010-05-20 10:43 AM
dmwill37 - 2010-05-20 12:32 PM What you are describing sounds pretty typical to me, whether its a triathlon bike, road bike, mountain bike, cross bike or whatever bike. different shops like different things, and even how they setup you up initially. If you are going to get shoes and pedals, then get them and have them installed with your cleats, then have a thorough and proper fitting done. I live close to a "Bike Source" who's flagship brand is Specialized, and they offer a two way computerized fitting called "BG Fit" http://cdn.specialized.com/bc/microsite/bgfit/bgfit.html It is pretty pricey by comparison to other fittings, $350.00 + any parts (new saddle, seat post, stem, bars, etc) but after having it done, my bike feels completely new to me, I ride faster, farther and am way more comfortable. I was initially very skeptical about a fitting and the money, but it is the best thing i have had done and I never have to tinker with my saddle, bars, etc, it just fits and I don't have any pain (foot, back, neck, leg). The guys who do this go to an actual school offered by specialized, so its not just some kid guessing, but a proven science that they use on the pro's. 

Thanks.

The tri-shop near me offers “fittings” they charge $350 and it takes 3 hours to do it. I’m sure it would be money well spent.

I’ve also went to an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in sport medicines and after a full exam (xrays, etc.) he said there wasn’t anything that he could do for me. In the end he recommended to continue to train to keep the knee “in shape”.

The bike has been a major change for m this year. Last year I used a mountain bike. Switching to a road bike has taken some getting used to.

I really think a quality fitting will help you above anything else, Adam.  Good luck.

2010-05-21 5:28 AM

User image

Master
Southwest Iowa
Good luck to anyone racing this weekend.  I am getting ready for the youngest daughter's high school graduation and party, so I may not be sending any inspires this weekend.  Good luck to all on what is probably their long workout days on the weekend.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » BHannahs's Group - FULL! Rss Feed  

of 21