Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2010-11-26 1:33 PM
in reply to: #3052877

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Subject: RE: Learn How to Swim Training Group
Hey all.  After 3 weeks of no swimming allowed I made it into the pool today.  Very happy about that!!  I have fresh incisions on the right side of my face and nose where the goggles hit so I only swam for 20 minutes but am looking forward to restarting the plan.  May need to go back to week 6-7 though....

2010-11-29 10:42 AM
in reply to: #3226694

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
KOM - 2010-11-26 1:33 PM Hey all.  After 3 weeks of no swimming allowed I made it into the pool today.  Very happy about that!!  I have fresh incisions on the right side of my face and nose where the goggles hit so I only swam for 20 minutes but am looking forward to restarting the plan.  May need to go back to week 6-7 though....

Congrats! It's still only November, so you have plenty of time to be getting this swim plan done before race season!
2010-12-04 11:45 AM

User image

Virginia Beach -- Rudee Inlet
Hello, Swimmers! 

I have done one triathlon, an oly, in Sept 2010, and although I have stayed active since then, have not been "tri-training" for a couple months.  Today, I am beginning in ernest a formal off season program, and this Swim Training is going to be an integral part, I hope. 

I think of myself as a very strong, "not drowner"....which is hell and gone from being a strong swimmer.  I have no form, cannot manage more than 100meters doing "correct breathing" without hyperventilating, but somehow in my own way can consistently cover a full 1500meters nonstop open water in the Chesapeake Bay doing the ugliest, slowest crawl you've ever seen. 
My 1500meter time is about 45minutes on a really solid day....which is of course, AWFUL. 

With my strength level, which is pretty solid, I should do much better if I can just develop some correct techniques.   Thus...my joining this group.  PLEASE HELP ME LEARN ACTUAL TECHNIQUE.

OH..PS... MY comfort level in open water is very, very high as I've been a scuba diver for over 20yrs, but I personally feel doing laps in the pool is as boring as watching paint dry.  I'll have to get past this, obviously.
2010-12-04 6:10 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada

This past summer I attempted and completed two Sprints.  Sister Madonna was my inspiration. After watching her in reruns three times that summer I finally threw down the bag of chips I was eating and said, outload to the tv, "Alright Sister Madonna! I'll do it!".  Thats where it started, I am an age grouper, 45-50 and after my first Sprint in our little town I was on the podium...of course there were only three in my age group; but whatev I have a medal! 

This first year was to see if I could accomplish this feat, (checklist item, done) now I am eager to improve.  I am starting this program to get faster, as I am pretty slow at every event. Heck when I started I had no idea there was a technique to swimming, I HATED running and I didn't even own a bike until 3 weeks before my first triathlon.  

I have learned so much from everyone on this site; absolutely amazing people in the triathlete fam!  I am looking forward to learning a lot more as I go. 

2010-12-06 10:08 AM
in reply to: #3236541

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
nvandyke - 2010-12-04 11:45 AM Hello, Swimmers! 

I have done one triathlon, an oly, in Sept 2010, and although I have stayed active since then, have not been "tri-training" for a couple months.  Today, I am beginning in ernest a formal off season program, and this Swim Training is going to be an integral part, I hope. 

I think of myself as a very strong, "not drowner"....which is hell and gone from being a strong swimmer.  I have no form, cannot manage more than 100meters doing "correct breathing" without hyperventilating, but somehow in my own way can consistently cover a full 1500meters nonstop open water in the Chesapeake Bay doing the ugliest, slowest crawl you've ever seen. 
My 1500meter time is about 45minutes on a really solid day....which is of course, AWFUL. 

With my strength level, which is pretty solid, I should do much better if I can just develop some correct techniques.   Thus...my joining this group.  PLEASE HELP ME LEARN ACTUAL TECHNIQUE.

OH..PS... MY comfort level in open water is very, very high as I've been a scuba diver for over 20yrs, but I personally feel doing laps in the pool is as boring as watching paint dry.  I'll have to get past this, obviously.

Welcome! It sounds to me that following this program will be good for you. Being consistent with your pool swimming is the key to learning to swim efficiently. Getting a feel for the water means getting in the water every time your plan calls for. Taking the time over the winter to devote yourself to your swim will be GREAT for you.
2010-12-06 10:10 AM
in reply to: #3236783

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
SportzVision - 2010-12-04 6:10 PM

This past summer I attempted and completed two Sprints.  Sister Madonna was my inspiration. After watching her in reruns three times that summer I finally threw down the bag of chips I was eating and said, outload to the tv, "Alright Sister Madonna! I'll do it!".  Thats where it started, I am an age grouper, 45-50 and after my first Sprint in our little town I was on the podium...of course there were only three in my age group; but whatev I have a medal! 

This first year was to see if I could accomplish this feat, (checklist item, done) now I am eager to improve.  I am starting this program to get faster, as I am pretty slow at every event. Heck when I started I had no idea there was a technique to swimming, I HATED running and I didn't even own a bike until 3 weeks before my first triathlon.  

I have learned so much from everyone on this site; absolutely amazing people in the triathlete fam!  I am looking forward to learning a lot more as I go. 

Wow, thank you for sharing your story! It's so motivational. The fact that there were only three women in your age group means that you were in an extremely ELITE group of 45-50 year old women who were brave, confident, and determined enough to take on that challenge. Totally awesome!

2010-12-08 7:01 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Here is an interesting thread in Tri Talk on breathing. Keep an eye on it.
2010-12-08 1:46 PM
in reply to: #3240765

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-12-08 5:01 AM Here is an interesting thread in Tri Talk on breathing. Keep an eye on it.

I've been reading a lot about breathing over on swimsmooth.com.  I still need work on my exhalation; I cannot seem to exhale completely.  :-/  Unfortunately, I feel like I've hit a plateau.

In other news, I went to a master swim class.  It wasn't what I expected.  Based on the assumptions I made off of what I've read about others' MSCs here in BT, I had higher hopes that going to MSC would prove useful.   It seems there are other more organized MSC programs around - mine not being one of them.    Last night, there was no critique of one's technique or any tangible sense that coaching was occuring.  The workout was very loosely administered.   Most of the swimmers in attendance would swim 25m, stop, hang on the wall and talk about their family, swim 25m and repeat. 

By the way, I cannot - ever - seem to get the hang of the pull buoy.  It only reinforces all of the bad form issues my swim instructor has worked so hard to correct.  If there's one way to tank my form, a pb will do it.

Edited by betyoursilver 2010-12-08 1:47 PM
2010-12-12 7:01 AM

New user

Severn, MD
I'm an experienced marathoner new to triathlons - have 2 sprints and a half-iron scheduled for '11.  I've been a swimmer in the past, but that was eons ago - in grade/high school.

I started using the beginners swimming program last week, and have found it very helpful.  I am doing more distance than the program calls for, as the short workouts don't get me tired at all.  I've gone from getting short of breath swimming 25yds to now being able to do 150yds with no real issues. 

I'm working to transition from breathing every-other stroke (this is what I did as a kid) to every 3rd stroke - it is very hard and uncomfortable for me to breathe from the left side.

This program and the forum are very helpful!

Barry
2010-12-13 6:36 PM
in reply to: #3245566

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
clydesdalerunning - 2010-12-12 7:01 AM I'm an experienced marathoner new to triathlons - have 2 sprints and a half-iron scheduled for '11.  I've been a swimmer in the past, but that was eons ago - in grade/high school.

I started using the beginners swimming program last week, and have found it very helpful.  I am doing more distance than the program calls for, as the short workouts don't get me tired at all.  I've gone from getting short of breath swimming 25yds to now being able to do 150yds with no real issues. 

I'm working to transition from breathing every-other stroke (this is what I did as a kid) to every 3rd stroke - it is very hard and uncomfortable for me to breathe from the left side.

This program and the forum are very helpful!

Barry

Thanks for the feedback, Barry! Glad to hear the program is working well for you.
2010-12-19 3:29 PM

User image

Master
San Mateo, CA
For a couple of weeks I felt like I hit a plateau.  However, this week I have felt like I'm moving beyond it.  I am starting to feel like I have a rhythm that's in synch with my breathing.  I remain optimistic.

2010-12-20 8:47 PM
in reply to: #3254131

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
betyoursilver - 2010-12-19 3:29 PM For a couple of weeks I felt like I hit a plateau.  However, this week I have felt like I'm moving beyond it.  I am starting to feel like I have a rhythm that's in synch with my breathing.  I remain optimistic.

Awesome...optimism will get you far!
2010-12-22 6:30 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hello.
I did my first tri a tri in Chatham Kent Ontario in August of 2010 and I knew right away that I wanted to take the next step towards sprint tri distances and beyond for 2011. Although I did suffer an injury during that tri a tri (nerve impingements c5 c6) which caused some considerable pain and loss of strength in my left arm I am close to getting back to normal and ready to start training for 2011.

I have been taking swim lessons because that is going to be my most difficult hurdle on my quest for this life style.

Now I am looking for some support and advice on what my next steps should be to become an efficient swimmer. I am truly a begginer and need help.

Thanks.

Kevin
2010-12-23 11:07 AM
in reply to: #3258319

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
kcgolf - 2010-12-22 6:30 PM Hello.
I did my first tri a tri in Chatham Kent Ontario in August of 2010 and I knew right away that I wanted to take the next step towards sprint tri distances and beyond for 2011. Although I did suffer an injury during that tri a tri (nerve impingements c5 c6) which caused some considerable pain and loss of strength in my left arm I am close to getting back to normal and ready to start training for 2011.

I have been taking swim lessons because that is going to be my most difficult hurdle on my quest for this life style.

Now I am looking for some support and advice on what my next steps should be to become an efficient swimmer. I am truly a begginer and need help.

Thanks.

Kevin

Hi Kevin! You are doing the smart thing by taking swim lessons. Once you are feeling more comfortable in the water, you can join a masters swim group or start swimming on your own by following this plan. It can be frustrating learning how to swim, so try not to get discouraged!
2010-12-23 5:36 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
I cut 10 strokes off my Stroke Length using the catch up drill...wooohooo!
2010-12-27 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3259789

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
SportzVision - 2010-12-23 5:36 PM I cut 10 strokes off my Stroke Length using the catch up drill...wooohooo!

Wow, that is so awesome! Great job!!

2010-12-27 3:59 PM

User image

San Francisco

I completed a sprint triathlon a year and a half ago and was really dreading the swimming. I managed to get through the swimming portion without drowning, but did have to throw in a back stroke, breast stroke, and then some. At one point, I even left the course a bit, while back stroking, and almost crashed into the kayak lifeguard.

This year, I have decided to train for an Olympic distance tri, but have not been in the water in over a year and am scared to get back in there. My biggest fear is that I will get completely frustrated and not motivated to continue with my training.

Wondering if you have any tips to help ease me back into swimming and ways to build up my strength.

Thanks

2010-12-28 3:36 PM
in reply to: #3263273

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
mindylea - 2010-12-27 3:59 PM  

I completed a sprint triathlon a year and a half ago and was really dreading the swimming. I managed to get through the swimming portion without drowning, but did have to throw in a back stroke, breast stroke, and then some. At one point, I even left the course a bit, while back stroking, and almost crashed into the kayak lifeguard.

This year, I have decided to train for an Olympic distance tri, but have not been in the water in over a year and am scared to get back in there. My biggest fear is that I will get completely frustrated and not motivated to continue with my training.

Wondering if you have any tips to help ease me back into swimming and ways to build up my strength.

Thanks

Welcome to BT! I think this plan will work out great for you. Make sure you read through this whole thread. Lots of other people going through exactly what you are.
2010-12-30 6:55 PM

Hi all, my name is Elaine and I want to be a triathlete depending on my progress of learning how to swim better. I am 40, gain a few pounds, sit on the couch a lot so I want to pick up a new sport so that I won't go downhill. I consider myself fit, ran 6 half marathons in the past year but find myself not really excited about training for the run. 5 weeks ago, I started to search through the internet days and nights and I was hooked on the idea to train for a triathlon.

I researched the internet and came across this wonderful and resourceful site. I tried to follow Sara McLarty's swim plan. I couldn't even swim a lap without gasping not alone the 100m warm up. Then I found Shane MacLeod's beginners swim program and seems like something I can do (4x25m warm up). So I mix and match Sara's and Shane's program for the last 5 weeks/3 times a week to kick start my training.

This morning I was following Sara's Week 3, workout 3. I am quite happy today because I can continuously swim 100m this morning for the first time (3 laps freestyle, 1 lap breast). From drinking a lot of pool water on my left side when I first started to only a couple of sips today. (I kind of don't mind to drink a little pool water because I think it's the reason why I don't have much appetite lately even after a good workout. I know it's weird thinking but whatever can help to control my food craving. lol) : )

I really want to sign up for a sprint tri but I am not sure how far I am able to swim in a few months. Can other beginners share your stories? What's the average learning curve for you? How long does it take for someone to learn to swim from 25m to 1600m or any other distance? I want to get some idea on the average of how many months I need to practice before I can do a certain distance Tri.

Another not, earlier I practiced on my first clipless pedals and I fell 2 times within 5 minutes. Ouch, my poor wrist was taking a toll. A little discouraging.

Welcome for any comments, stories and suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Elaine
2010-12-31 6:50 PM

Calgary
I thought I'd let you all know how things were going after month one.
It took 6 weeks - due to work commitments but I'm definitely feeling much more comfortable in the water which is great. My breathing, which was the hardest part, finally seems to be coming together. I'm concentrating on breathing every 5 strokes while using the pull buoy which really seems to help as it makes breathing every 3rd breath in full stoke much easier as I have loads more air.
As with several others on this thread I am struggling with my kick. If I kick hard I go fast but run out of breath really easily, if I don't kick as hard, my arms get tired as they appear to be doing all the work.  I'm hoping, as a new swimmer, my upper body strength will improve to make this less of an issue.
All in all, I'm really happy with my progress and the plan appears to be working well. I'm actually starting to look forward to my pool sessions and have increased them from 3 times a week to 4.
Happy swimming!
2011-01-01 7:04 PM

User image

New user

This looks like the group for me!  I have started and stopped tri training a couple of times in the past because of my swim fears.  I know how to swim (barely) but never felt like I was improving over the couple of months that I was "training."   My husband is a super Ironman and a great influence. So my 2011 resolution is to do my first sprint in September.  I'm going to start the "Learning to Swim" program on Monday! 

2011-01-03 9:43 AM
in reply to: #3271636

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
JosieO - 2011-01-01 7:04 PM

This looks like the group for me!  I have started and stopped tri training a couple of times in the past because of my swim fears.  I know how to swim (barely) but never felt like I was improving over the couple of months that I was "training."   My husband is a super Ironman and a great influence. So my 2011 resolution is to do my first sprint in September.  I'm going to start the "Learning to Swim" program on Monday! 

Awesome! You are not alone. A lot of people have issues with the swim. I hope you find this program useful in conquering your swim demons!
2011-01-03 9:46 AM
in reply to: #3268915

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ducdiva - 2010-12-30 6:55 PM Hi all, my name is Elaine and I want to be a triathlete depending on my progress of learning how to swim better. I am 40, gain a few pounds, sit on the couch a lot so I want to pick up a new sport so that I won't go downhill. I consider myself fit, ran 6 half marathons in the past year but find myself not really excited about training for the run. 5 weeks ago, I started to search through the internet days and nights and I was hooked on the idea to train for a triathlon.

I researched the internet and came across this wonderful and resourceful site. I tried to follow Sara McLarty's swim plan. I couldn't even swim a lap without gasping not alone the 100m warm up. Then I found Shane MacLeod's beginners swim program and seems like something I can do (4x25m warm up). So I mix and match Sara's and Shane's program for the last 5 weeks/3 times a week to kick start my training.

This morning I was following Sara's Week 3, workout 3. I am quite happy today because I can continuously swim 100m this morning for the first time (3 laps freestyle, 1 lap breast). From drinking a lot of pool water on my left side when I first started to only a couple of sips today. (I kind of don't mind to drink a little pool water because I think it's the reason why I don't have much appetite lately even after a good workout. I know it's weird thinking but whatever can help to control my food craving. lol) : )

I really want to sign up for a sprint tri but I am not sure how far I am able to swim in a few months. Can other beginners share your stories? What's the average learning curve for you? How long does it take for someone to learn to swim from 25m to 1600m or any other distance? I want to get some idea on the average of how many months I need to practice before I can do a certain distance Tri.

Another not, earlier I practiced on my first clipless pedals and I fell 2 times within 5 minutes. Ouch, my poor wrist was taking a toll. A little discouraging.

Welcome for any comments, stories and suggestions. Thank you in advance.

Elaine

Elaine, you are doing GREAT! Start looking for a sprint triathlon that has a 200-500 yard swim. You should be able to complete that distance by April or May. I think you will find that once you get o 100 yards of total freestyle, your comfort level with the pool will allow you to progress MUCH faster than you are currently.
2011-01-03 9:48 AM
in reply to: #3270427

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
bilkovet - 2010-12-31 6:50 PM I thought I'd let you all know how things were going after month one.
It took 6 weeks - due to work commitments but I'm definitely feeling much more comfortable in the water which is great. My breathing, which was the hardest part, finally seems to be coming together. I'm concentrating on breathing every 5 strokes while using the pull buoy which really seems to help as it makes breathing every 3rd breath in full stoke much easier as I have loads more air.
As with several others on this thread I am struggling with my kick. If I kick hard I go fast but run out of breath really easily, if I don't kick as hard, my arms get tired as they appear to be doing all the work.  I'm hoping, as a new swimmer, my upper body strength will improve to make this less of an issue.
All in all, I'm really happy with my progress and the plan appears to be working well. I'm actually starting to look forward to my pool sessions and have increased them from 3 times a week to 4.
Happy swimming!

Thank you SO much for sharing this! I think it will help so many new swimmers have HOPE that things will improve if they follow the plan! GREAT JOB!!
2011-01-06 1:11 AM

Hi all, I did Sara's Week 4 Workout #3 this morning and here is my brief bio and report.

Bio: only able to swim 25m 5 weeks ago, mix &match different programs, try to follow Sara's swim training when I can

report: warm up ok, still mix in a lap of breast stroke, still unable to kick a full 25m, only can kick about 2/3 of a lap, arms got tired after 200m of pull, mix in every other breath, bilateral, every 4th etc. to try to regulate my breath.

Overall, I achieved about 60-70% of the exact workout, probably will repeat week 4 next week, feel disappointed not being able to do the whole thing. I might even need to go back to week 3.

Edited by ducdiva 2011-01-06 1:12 AM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Learn How to Swim Training Group Rss Feed  

of 16