BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 21

2011-01-14 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3300768

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN AGAIN!
rachel5576 - 2011-01-14 6:54 PM Thanks Tim for the encouragement. Snowshoeing is fun and a great aerobic workout.  So you are doing a century bike race and then a half marathon the next day?  What an inspiration!

What other way to spend a Valentine's weekend!  Actually, it sounds more impressive than it is.  I wanted to run the half mary as a relay with my wife, but she really wants to break two hours for a half.  So, I volunteered to run as her pacer for the race.  I just hope I can get her close without too many arguments along the way. Undecided

2011-01-14 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3257098

Tyler, Texas
For the weekend I'm hoping to do a mountain bike ride tomorrow, then a run Sunday.  There's an off road duathlon in February I want to do,  2.5 mile run, 10 mile mountain bike, then another 2.5 mile trail run.  I was hoping to go ride the course tomorrow but family will probably take priority.  May have to get up early and squeeze in a short local ride.

Rachel, that show shoe race sounds (no pun) really cool!  It's a neat way to change-up your training.  Enjoy it.

More good info Jay and Tim.  Contemplating a century already?  Man, I feel like a slacker.  Anyone ever done a one day 150?

Happy weekend everybody, get some training in!

2011-01-14 11:52 PM
in reply to: #3300882

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-14 8:23 PM Hmm... I'll probably go by HR.  My target will mostly be around 140 bpm for the duration, so probably looking at around 17-18 mph.  Sound reasonable for you?

This will be my first century too.  But, I need to get a couple under my belt to meet the quals for Furnance Creek 508 this year.  I'm hoping to get accepted as a two person relay team.  It would be an awesome experience!

Yeah, I think I can manage that for 6 hours Cool
2011-01-14 11:54 PM
in reply to: #3300894

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Mtb63 - 2011-01-14 8:34 PM For the weekend I'm hoping to do a mountain bike ride tomorrow, then a run Sunday.  There's an off road duathlon in February I want to do,  2.5 mile run, 10 mile mountain bike, then another 2.5 mile trail run.  I was hoping to go ride the course tomorrow but family will probably take priority.  May have to get up early and squeeze in a short local ride.

Rachel, that show shoe race sounds (no pun) really cool!  It's a neat way to change-up your training.  Enjoy it.

More good info Jay and Tim.  Contemplating a century already?  Man, I feel like a slacker.  Anyone ever done a one day 150?

Happy weekend everybody, get some training in!

All men make foolish decisions every now and again :D.  Tim's a machine.  I'm sure he will tell you about some 24 hr races he's been in when he checks in again.
2011-01-15 12:37 AM

Subject: RE: shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES
Hi guys,

Sorry i haven't been the most active on the forum's, I just wanted to pose a really simple question. My training is going pretty well (maybe apart from the swim) and everything is coming together really nicely for my race and what i want to achieve. My bricks are humming but as I close in on race day (4weeks to go) how much rest should i have and how much training should i be getting in in order to be in optimum shape on race day. The time that i allocated to train for the race didn't really allow me to pick up a plan (well the truth is i didn't know they existed until a week or two ago so i didn't bother because they were all 16 + weeks for tri). For more details on my training regime you can look at my log its pretty up to date.

If i could get some feedback that would be great guys.

thanks,
James
2011-01-15 1:09 AM
in reply to: #3300950

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
jamesjong - 2011-01-14 10:37 PM Hi guys,

Sorry i haven't been the most active on the forum's, I just wanted to pose a really simple question. My training is going pretty well (maybe apart from the swim) and everything is coming together really nicely for my race and what i want to achieve. My bricks are humming but as I close in on race day (4weeks to go) how much rest should i have and how much training should i be getting in in order to be in optimum shape on race day. The time that i allocated to train for the race didn't really allow me to pick up a plan (well the truth is i didn't know they existed until a week or two ago so i didn't bother because they were all 16 + weeks for tri). For more details on my training regime you can look at my log its pretty up to date.

If i could get some feedback that would be great guys.

thanks,
James

If you're four weeks out, there's not a lot to be done at this point that will put you in 'optimum shape' for the race without risking injury just because you don't have a whole lot of training volume under your belt yet.  I am guessing you're doing a sprint distance race?  From what I can see in your logs it looks like you'll finish fine, but I wouldn't change much at this point from what you've been doing other than to ditch the strength/crossfit stuff and add another bike or run workout in its place.  About a week out from the race, you will want to back off the training and maybe just do 1 easy workout in each discipline on non-consecutive days and then depending on how you feel, take 1-2 days prior to the race completely off.

ETA: Re:bold comment - I'm not sure if non-paying BT members have access, but the custom plan maker will spit out a plan for any length of time that you choose.  Just for future reference

Edited by shmeeg 2011-01-15 1:11 AM

2011-01-15 4:09 PM
in reply to: #3300806

User image

Okinawa
I travel a lot in my job and places like DC tend to be a little chillier in the winter than tropical Okinawa...that's when I need the treadmill.
2011-01-15 4:22 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Ah gotcha, better take a shovel for those east coast destinations!
2011-01-15 8:24 PM

Lehigh Valley
Hey havent posted in awhile- mostly because I am still working on getting over being sick- back to training regularly though and its been slow but getting there- surprised how much a week off has impacted me.

Glad to see the group is open to hippies- not sure why the special designation but since I am a total hippie its all good!

I have continued running outside---and yes there is snow on the ground and it is always below 30 degrees and sometimes below 20 degrees! But once you get going its feels great to be out there. Biggest issue is breathing the cold air and avoiding ice!
But I have got to say running out there when it is so cold does make me feel a little bit like a real athlete (most of the time I feel like a total poserWink).
Anyhow hope everyone is doing well!
2011-01-16 2:26 PM

User image

New user
Look like you all have a great weekend planned.

Sarah hope you are feeling better soon.  I actually really love running outside in the cold now its so refreshing

My race yesterday went great! My goal was to get it done in under an hour. I came in 18th place overall with a time of 36:40!!!!  Had i realized a little sooner that the pack ahead of me were the leaders i might have done a little better   it was a lot of fun and can't wait for the next one.

Planning on swimming and biking tomorrow morning.

See ya later
2011-01-16 7:35 PM
in reply to: #3302909

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
rachel5576 - 2011-01-16 12:26 PM Look like you all have a great weekend planned.

Sarah hope you are feeling better soon.  I actually really love running outside in the cold now its so refreshing

My race yesterday went great! My goal was to get it done in under an hour. I came in 18th place overall with a time of 36:40!!!!  Had i realized a little sooner that the pack ahead of me were the leaders i might have done a little better   it was a lot of fun and can't wait for the next one.

See ya later

That's great Rachel!  No sh*t, I thought '36' when you first posted about it, but then when you said an hour was your goal I added some time.  Shoulda gone w/ my gut!  Glad you had a fun race and placed well!

2011-01-16 7:37 PM
in reply to: #3302109

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
saongiri - 2011-01-15 6:24 PM Hey havent posted in awhile- mostly because I am still working on getting over being sick- back to training regularly though and its been slow but getting there- surprised how much a week off has impacted me.

Glad to see the group is open to hippies- not sure why the special designation but since I am a total hippie its all good!

I have continued running outside---and yes there is snow on the ground and it is always below 30 degrees and sometimes below 20 degrees! But once you get going its feels great to be out there. Biggest issue is breathing the cold air and avoiding ice!
But I have got to say running out there when it is so cold does make me feel a little bit like a real athlete (most of the time I feel like a total poserWink).
Anyhow hope everyone is doing well!

You should come around more often! Wink  I just thought it was funny.  Everyone's title is so boring and just says 'open'; I like the 'soul triathlete' philosophy so it fits.  Hippies are awesome anyway, so all hippies are welcome here.  Laughing
2011-01-16 8:13 PM

Regular
Spruce Grove
Congrats on the race - way to go!

rachel5576 - 2011-01-16 1:26 PM Look like you all have a great weekend planned.

See ya later
2011-01-16 8:15 PM

Regular
Spruce Grove
So impressed by all you cold weather runners - I don't mind totally running when it's a bit cold (at most -10 C) but it's much harder for me to get outside to run in general. Too cold to take the little guy in his jogging stroller and my husband works out of town a lot. The treadmill is just much easier to fit in - plus lately we've had a LOT of snow and last time when I ran outside I kept slipping on the ice and having to jump over big drifts of snow. People can't keep up with their shoveling when the snow just keeps falling!

I'm hoping by March that maybe I can get at least one or two runs a week outside!
2011-01-17 3:44 PM

User image

New user

Portland, OR
Just wanted to check in with the group - I'm on week 4 of my 16 week program, I've been substituting biking for running until I get the OK on my ankle, and my program is swim-focused so I've been in the pool 3 days a week.
Having never done any endurance swimming, I'm horrible at it. One thing I'm trying is just adding one more lap before pausing for a breather every time I go out. That helps me acheive a realistic goal because I can't swim 750m right now without a break. I'm glad the first tri is in a pool or I'd be a lot more nervous about the drowning factor...
2011-01-17 4:52 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
rachel5576 - 2011-01-16 12:26 PM

My race yesterday went great! My goal was to get it done in under an hour. I came in 18th place overall with a time of 36:40!!!! 

WOW!  Awesome work girl!  What a great way to start off the season.

Do you have your own snow shoes or did you rent for the race?  What type of snow shoes were you using?  Just curious.  Like I said before, I would really like to give this a shot.  I was hoping to try some cross country skiing too this year.  Just what I need, more toys.  Surprised

2011-01-17 4:54 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Jay, have you got a chance to preview the Palm Springs ride at all?  I'm just curious about topography.  I'm assuming it is going to be pretty flat.  But, we all know what happens when you make assumptions!  I'm worried our biggest factor is going to be wind.
2011-01-17 6:05 PM
in reply to: #3304857

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
joelg11 - 2011-01-17 1:44 PM Just wanted to check in with the group - I'm on week 4 of my 16 week program, I've been substituting biking for running until I get the OK on my ankle, and my program is swim-focused so I've been in the pool 3 days a week.
Having never done any endurance swimming, I'm horrible at it. One thing I'm trying is just adding one more lap before pausing for a breather every time I go out. That helps me acheive a realistic goal because I can't swim 750m right now without a break. I'm glad the first tri is in a pool or I'd be a lot more nervous about the drowning factor...

Are you wearing a wetsuit or something w/ some bouyancy to it for the race?  Makes it virtually impossible to drown if you are.  Big peace of mind for me at my first race since it was an open water swim.
2011-01-17 6:10 PM
in reply to: #3305029

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-17 2:54 PM Jay, have you got a chance to preview the Palm Springs ride at all?  I'm just curious about topography.  I'm assuming it is going to be pretty flat.  But, we all know what happens when you make assumptions!  I'm worried our biggest factor is going to be wind.

Not exactly.  I just found a thread on bikeforums yesterday and it had a elev chart someone pulled from their bike computer.  I'll look for it again and throw it up here after I post this.  It looks mostly flat, but w/ some rollers late in the ride.  I'd honestly like some hills just to mix it up a lil.  Biggest complaints from past years seem to be crappy road quality (chipseal up there I guess, as someone posted) and the red light dist at the end as the century course merges w/ the shorter stuff.  Edit*  looks like we do get some climbing, 3400+ ft isn't exactly flat

Pool was closed today, so I didn't get my swim in!  Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure my trng plan says run Mondays too.  Oops!  I went down to the DeSoto warehouse today and got a pair of 400 mile bibs and a new Black Pearl wetsuit for the season.  Hopefully the bibs serve me well at the century.  Gonna try out the suit in the pool tomorrow!

ETA: thread - http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/687813-Anyone-doing-the-Tour-de-Palm-Springs-in-2011

Edited by shmeeg 2011-01-17 6:19 PM

(TdPS.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
TdPS.jpg (98KB - 6 downloads)
2011-01-17 6:17 PM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
2011-01-17 6:20 PM

User image

rachel5576 - 2011-01-16 2:26 PM Look like you all have a great weekend planned.

See ya later

Kudos Rachel!  

2011-01-17 9:55 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Hmmm... mixed reviews.  3,000 ft over 100 miles should translate to pretty flat.  Little bummed about the crowds around the SAG.  I was planning on being self-supported except for one or two water refills.  I'm a little surprised by the popularity of the ride.  I didn't imagine numbers any where near the expected number of riders.

What's your take?  Do you want to ride through or just just take it casual and stop at the SAGs?
2011-01-18 12:07 AM
in reply to: #3305525

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
brick94513 - 2011-01-17 7:55 PM Hmmm... mixed reviews.  3,000 ft over 100 miles should translate to pretty flat.  Little bummed about the crowds around the SAG.  I was planning on being self-supported except for one or two water refills.  I'm a little surprised by the popularity of the ride.  I didn't imagine numbers any where near the expected number of riders.

What's your take?  Do you want to ride through or just just take it casual and stop at the SAGs?

Well, it sounds like it's really casual and more about the charity of the ride rather than a racing atmosphere.  I'd actually like to maybe grab a sammich or something at the SAGs if the crowds arent too ridiculous.  I don't think I wanna drink Infinit for 6 hours....yet.  Let's keep it easy for the first half then see how we feel.  Maybe pick it up for the last 50 if the winds arent bad?
2011-01-18 9:04 AM

User image

Elite
Romeoville, Il
If you we don't quit getting all this ice/snow/freezing rain I'm going to have to get on a plan and meet you guys out there! I haven't done anything outside since the turkey trot in November!!!
2011-01-18 9:30 AM

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
That sux B. I either have the flu or food poisoning today. Couldn't keep anything down all nite, got no sleep, and now have to wait another 1/2 hr for the medical station to open. Fml.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » shmeeg's Winter Madness Mentor group - OPEN TO HIPPIES Rss Feed  

of 21