BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 23

2011-01-23 10:31 PM
in reply to: #3260767

New user

Renton
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - OPEN for a couple more!
Hello Mike and Ryan,

I would like to join your group.... A little about me.

NAME: Jay Mezistrano

STORY: My story is that i have always somewhat worked out with weights and stay somewhat healthy. Yet my endurance has always been a problem. Last year i did my first olympic in three hours twenty minutes, somewhat finished near the end. I was ok with that. Yet this year, i would like to complete a 1/2 iron man and summit Mt. Rainier.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married; Wife's name is Doris and 8 year old daughters name is Pearl

CURRENT TRAINING:
1/24 I am starting the base training for the 1/2 iron man that was given to me from this website

THIS YEAR'S RACES: One or two a month until the 1/2 iron man in August.

2010 RACES:  Onion Man Olympic Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS: I am at a healthy weight. Would like to get to below 10% body fat so i can see my abs again.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a great listener and student and when available a great supporter of others.

2011-01-24 6:05 AM
in reply to: #3317245

User image

Welcome Jay.

Edited by _T2_ 2011-01-24 6:05 AM
2011-01-24 7:12 AM
in reply to: #3317245

User image

Master
St. Louis
mezistrano - 2011-01-23 10:31 PM Hello Mike and Ryan,

I would like to join your group.... A little about me.

NAME: Jay Mezistrano

STORY: My story is that i have always somewhat worked out with weights and stay somewhat healthy. Yet my endurance has always been a problem. Last year i did my first olympic in three hours twenty minutes, somewhat finished near the end. I was ok with that. Yet this year, i would like to complete a 1/2 iron man and summit Mt. Rainier.

FAMILY STATUS:
Married; Wife's name is Doris and 8 year old daughters name is Pearl

CURRENT TRAINING:
1/24 I am starting the base training for the 1/2 iron man that was given to me from this website

THIS YEAR'S RACES: One or two a month until the 1/2 iron man in August.

2010 RACES:  Onion Man Olympic Triathlon

WEIGHTLOSS: I am at a healthy weight. Would like to get to below 10% body fat so i can see my abs again.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I am a great listener and student and when available a great supporter of others.

Welcome Jay!  I think that is a good time for an Olympic.  It must have been a fast field.
2011-01-24 8:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

I want to join!

NAME: Kim

STORY:
I have been overweight since the third grade and sedentary for a good chunk of that time.  In 2007, my world fell apart when I realized my marriage was over.  I began smoking and drinking to escape from my problems.  I had a friend who encouraged me to do a triathlon in the fall of 2007 and I told her she was nuts J  But something clicked at the beginning of 2008 and in February, I started training for a triathlon.  In June, I completed a sprint and it was one of the proudest days of my life.  I have been battling a knee injury off and on since then but mostly because I have fallen back into my couch potato ways.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married after a 2 ½ month dating period to a wonderful man, 3 stepdaughters, 2 step-grandchildren, 2 dogs, a cat and a bird

CURRENT TRAINING:
Easy training for now due to plantar fasciitis.  Working with physical therapist who is going to fit in some personal training in a couple of weeks.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: For now, only the SheRox Sprint Triathlon on 6/12.  I would like to at least do a 5k and have the goal of running the entire thing

WEIGHTLOSS: I am very overweight at this point (5'4" - 245) and have a goal to average 8 pounds a month for the rest of the year which will get me fairly close to my goal weight of 140

Edited by tricupcake 2011-01-24 6:19 PM
2011-01-24 9:24 AM

Veteran
Jay nice to have you on board, Looks like you have some nice goals set.
2011-01-24 9:58 AM

Veteran
Kim nice to have you with us, I love the goal of finishing a 5k!!!  Since thats where I started two years ago.  Coming from someone who had never ran a full mile in his life, finishing that 5K was amazing.  It really got the ball rolling on what I can do(which is pretty much anything)  SOmedays it comes down to my favorite saying

"If you think you can or you think you can't, your right!"  Henry Ford

2011-01-24 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3317900

User image

Central Oregon
Hi Jay and Kim! Welcome to our group.
2011-01-24 12:06 PM

So after a bout with a nasty head cold, I'm back & ready to start my training program this evening after work.

Looks like we've have a good group. I'll be sure to get everyone added to my training log.

Signed up for a 5k in late March - should give me a good intermediate goal, as June seems like it's so far away. 
2011-01-24 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3318285

User image

Master
St. Louis
conway9 - 2011-01-24 12:06 PM So after a bout with a nasty head cold, I'm back & ready to start my training program this evening after work.

Looks like we've have a good group. I'll be sure to get everyone added to my training log.

Signed up for a 5k in late March - should give me a good intermediate goal, as June seems like it's so far away. 

Welcome back Mike.  Intermediate goals are good when they fit in to your schedule.  Are you starting your Sprint plan this week as well?
2011-01-24 12:57 PM
in reply to: #3317622

User image

Master
St. Louis
tricupcake - 2011-01-24 8:20 AM

I want to join!

NAME: Kim

STORY:
I have been overweight since the third grade and sedentary for a good chunk of that time.  In 2007, my world fell apart when I realized my marriage was over.  I began smoking and drinking to escape from my problems.  I had a friend who encouraged me to do a triathlon in the fall of 2007 and I told her she was nuts J  But something clicked at the beginning of 2008 and in February, I started training for a triathlon.  In June, I completed a sprint and it was one of the proudest days of my life.  I have been battling a knee injury off and on since then but mostly because I have fallen back into my couch potato ways.

FAMILY STATUS:
 Married after a 2 ½ month dating period to a wonderful man, 3 stepdaughters, 2 step-grandchildren, 2 dogs, a cat and a bird

CURRENT TRAINING:
Easy training for now due to plantar fasciitis.  Working with physical therapist who is going to fit in some personal training in a couple of weeks.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: For now, only the SheRox Sprint Triathlon on 6/12.  I would like to at least do a 5k and have the goal of running the entire thing

WEIGHTLOSS: I am very overweight at this point (5'4" - 245) and have a goal to average 8 pounds a month for the rest of the year which will get me fairly close to my goal weight of 140

Welcome Kim!  It's good to have a gradual weightloss plan like you do. 
2011-01-24 2:39 PM
in reply to: #3318420

ransick - 2011-01-24 1:55 PM
conway9 - 2011-01-24 12:06 PM So after a bout with a nasty head cold, I'm back & ready to start my training program this evening after work.

Welcome back Mike.  Intermediate goals are good when they fit in to your schedule.  Are you starting your Sprint plan this week as well?

Yep - The plan (as it stands now) is to focus on the run portion through March, with Swim2x and Bike 1 - 2x per week, then switch & focus more on the swim and maintain the 5k distance for the last 3 months.

Here's the line of thinking - please tell me where it's flawed (I'm pretty sure it is):

I mentioned before that cycling has gotten me here today, as a prospective triathlete. The 15.7 mile bike portion of the sprint is going to be (by far) my strongest leg. The run and swim pieces are going to present the biggest challenge. I am running the 5k with a few of my friends (who are very experienced runners and seem genuinely excited to have me join their cult) on March 19 in Vegas. In order to work toward that intermediate goal, I am implementing a 'couch-to-5k' plan today.

The run-specific plan is a 3x per week plan which pretty closely mimics the run piece of the 22 week 'couch-to-sprint' plan. My plan is to follow the 5k plan intently while adding a swim workout on 2 of the off-days and a cycling workout on another, with one day for rest. Once I hit the 5k distance in mid-March, I'm going to switch the focus and swim 3x per week and maintain the 5k distance training 2x, with another cycling workout mixed in.

Once the weather turns, I want to add some outdoor cycling/running bricks ans the event nears.

Run starts today, swimming starts tomorrow.

2011-01-24 6:01 PM
in reply to: #3317167

User image

Subject: buying ear plugs online
I've looked at 4 places and that was the best I found.  I think I might have to buy them online. Any Suggestions???
2011-01-24 7:19 PM
in reply to: #3319146

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: buying ear plugs online
_T2_ - 2011-01-24 6:01 PM I've looked at 4 places and that was the best I found.  I think I might have to buy them online. Any Suggestions???

I actually found some at a local grocery store.  To try different kinds I just looked at Walgreens, Wal-Mart and grocery stores when I was there for other reasons and picked up a couple different kinds until I found what worked for me.  I order some of my swim stuff through swimoutlet.com http://www.swimoutlet.com/product_p/2240.htm and always have had good luck.  Last time I ordered goggles I ordered 4 pair of the ear plugs in the link because they are easy to loose.
2011-01-24 7:41 PM
in reply to: #3318762

User image

Master
St. Louis
conway9 - 2011-01-24 2:39 PM
ransick - 2011-01-24 1:55 PM

Yep - The plan (as it stands now) is to focus on the run portion through March, with Swim2x and Bike 1 - 2x per week, then switch & focus more on the swim and maintain the 5k distance for the last 3 months.

Here's the line of thinking - please tell me where it's flawed (I'm pretty sure it is):

I mentioned before that cycling has gotten me here today, as a prospective triathlete. The 15.7 mile bike portion of the sprint is going to be (by far) my strongest leg. The run and swim pieces are going to present the biggest challenge. I am running the 5k with a few of my friends (who are very experienced runners and seem genuinely excited to have me join their cult) on March 19 in Vegas. In order to work toward that intermediate goal, I am implementing a 'couch-to-5k' plan today.

The run-specific plan is a 3x per week plan which pretty closely mimics the run piece of the 22 week 'couch-to-sprint' plan. My plan is to follow the 5k plan intently while adding a swim workout on 2 of the off-days and a cycling workout on another, with one day for rest. Once I hit the 5k distance in mid-March, I'm going to switch the focus and swim 3x per week and maintain the 5k distance training 2x, with another cycling workout mixed in.

Once the weather turns, I want to add some outdoor cycling/running bricks ans the event nears.

Run starts today, swimming starts tomorrow.

I think that sounds like a good plan.  There are a lot of plans that are balanced 2x a week plans and people add a 3rd workout for their weakest sport.  I like to combine different plans too.

2011-01-25 8:37 AM

Veteran
I agree that is sounds like a good plan.  Since you stated that your already pretty good with your bike skills, building up that first part of running will be a bigger help than worring about the swim/bike.  IN most races you can be last out of the water but the bike/run will make your day.  If your going for a good time or just to finish, making sure your bike & run is there is key. One of the faster triathletes I met this year is a Horrible swimmer, his goal is to make it out alive haha. Then his bike & run puts him in the FOP(front of the pack)

Unlike Mike, who is a good runner and has a good base built.  I had to focus 70% of my efforts on the run leading up to my Olympic last year.  Being able to finish the run distance had me worried.
2011-01-25 8:48 AM
in reply to: #3320030

User image

Central Oregon
bigr82 - 2011-01-25 6:37 AM I agree that is sounds like a good plan.  Since you stated that your already pretty good with your bike skills, building up that first part of running will be a bigger help than worring about the swim/bike.  IN most races you can be last out of the water but the bike/run will make your day.  If your going for a good time or just to finish, making sure your bike & run is there is key. One of the faster triathletes I met this year is a Horrible swimmer, his goal is to make it out alive haha. Then his bike & run puts him in the FOP(front of the pack)

Unlike Mike, who is a good runner and has a good base built.  I had to focus 70% of my efforts on the run leading up to my Olympic last year.  Being able to finish the run distance had me worried.

I find this incredibly encouraging! Thanks.

2011-01-25 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3320030

bigr82 - 2011-01-25 9:37 AM I agree that is sounds like a good plan.  Since you stated that your already pretty good with your bike skills, building up that first part of running will be a bigger help than worring about the swim/bike.  IN most races you can be last out of the water but the bike/run will make your day.  If your going for a good time or just to finish, making sure your bike & run is there is key. One of the faster triathletes I met this year is a Horrible swimmer, his goal is to make it out alive haha. Then his bike & run puts him in the FOP(front of the pack)

Thanks - this helps a lot.

The swim scares me. I'm getting in the pool tonight after work for the 1st time. We'll see how it goes.

My run last night went great - far better than I expected. Alternating 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking and a 5 minute warmup/cooldown, I did 2.9 miles (indoor track at the gym) in 30 minutes. That was very encouraging - I think I'll be OK for the 5k in March and even better for the sprint in June.

Just gotta get in the water . . .  
2011-01-25 9:04 AM
in reply to: #3320087

User image

Central Oregon
conway9 - 2011-01-25 6:56 AM

Thanks - this helps a lot.

The swim scares me. I'm getting in the pool tonight after work for the 1st time. We'll see how it goes.

My run last night went great - far better than I expected. Alternating 60 seconds of running with 90 seconds of walking and a 5 minute warmup/cooldown, I did 2.9 miles (indoor track at the gym) in 30 minutes. That was very encouraging - I think I'll be OK for the 5k in March and even better for the sprint in June.

Just gotta get in the water . . .  

Mike- that is a really good run time. Nice work.
2011-01-25 10:07 AM
in reply to: #3320087

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

The swim scares me too.  I've tried three separate times to get into the pool and can't ever get a lane by myself.  I'm just not a strong enough swimmer to share a lane.  I'm super slow and tend to drift.  I'm going to keep trying.

2011-01-25 12:15 PM

Veteran

Kim don't feel left out, yet to meet anyone that wasn't scared of the swim at first .  Not for sure where you swim at, but you might just hang out & talk with the life gaurds.   When I was trying to learn to swim, i didnt' want to share a lane either.  Then I found out that one of the older(in 80's)guys that swims atleast a mile at a faster pace each day, LOVES new people.  So I got stuck sharing a lane with him, he spent more time watching and giving me tips, than swimming himself.  After a month or so, a tip or two at a time, I could actually swim down and back.

My biggest Fear getting into Tri's wasn't even the distance(ok it was at first) but meeting new people, doing crazy things, wearing spandex, talking about shaving your legs with other guys haha, was allot worse.  For most of us its hard to do, but once you meet a few people(like meeeting mike last year)  everything is downhill.  Before you know it you'll talk about Half's and even spark the idea of a full!!!

2011-01-25 12:17 PM

Veteran

2011-01-25 2:49 PM
in reply to: #3280628

User image

New user

Lake Saint Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - OPEN

Ryan & Mike-

Are you still open?  I moved to Lake St Louis, MO Last year and after seeing our Local Tri I realize it was time to do one.  I have always wanted to do one, but never made the commitment.  I have always exercised (weight, running, biking), but the swim keep me away because of multiple shoulder dislocations.  I started training last fall, but was sidelined by a dislocated shoulder (Not from swimming...lol).  In December I was able to start working out again and I have gotten back up to 1000yrds swimming.

Thanks,

Michael Aromando

2011-01-25 2:54 PM
in reply to: #3320682

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

bigr82 - 2011-01-25 12:15 PM

Kim don't feel left out, yet to meet anyone that wasn't scared of the swim at first .  Not for sure where you swim at, but you might just hang out & talk with the life gaurds.   When I was trying to learn to swim, i didnt' want to share a lane either.  Then I found out that one of the older(in 80's)guys that swims atleast a mile at a faster pace each day, LOVES new people.  So I got stuck sharing a lane with him, he spent more time watching and giving me tips, than swimming himself.  After a month or so, a tip or two at a time, I could actually swim down and back.

You mean actually talk to a real live person?  The introvert part of me just crawled under my desk at the thought

2011-01-25 3:43 PM
in reply to: #3321100

User image

Central Oregon
tricupcake - 2011-01-25 12:54 PM

bigr82 - 2011-01-25 12:15 PM

You mean actually talk to a real live person?  The introvert part of me just crawled under my desk at the thought

This is really good advice. I started meeting a friend at the pool at first and I know one of the lifeguards b/c he has taught my daughter some swim lessons. It sure makes the whole experience less frightening. Nothing like talking to people while wearing a swim suit though... that was awkward for me at first.

As for sharing a lane, if there are only two people then you can ask the other person if they are ok splitting the lane with you. That way you just go down and back, so speed is not an issue and if you work it right you won't be passing each other either, so drifting is fine.

I'm doing a swim class next month in the evening to get some help with my stroke and learn more... so maybe that's an option others have too.

Since we were talking about fears though, is anyone nervous about riding? I don't mind climbing hills, but going down hill fast is not really something I enjoy! I used to work in Rehab at the hospital and I took care of a couple bike related accidents (head injuries) and that keeps flashing to the front of my mind.
2011-01-25 6:43 PM
in reply to: #3321089

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Ryan and Mike's beginner group - OPEN
maromando - 2011-01-25 2:49 PM

Ryan & Mike-

Are you still open?  I moved to Lake St Louis, MO Last year and after seeing our Local Tri I realize it was time to do one.  I have always wanted to do one, but never made the commitment.  I have always exercised (weight, running, biking), but the swim keep me away because of multiple shoulder dislocations.  I started training last fall, but was sidelined by a dislocated shoulder (Not from swimming...lol).  In December I was able to start working out again and I have gotten back up to 1000yrds swimming.

Thanks,

Michael Aromando

Welcome Michael! 

Edited by ransick 2011-01-25 6:43 PM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ryan and Mike's beginner group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 23