BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 19

2011-01-30 9:44 AM
in reply to: #3328390

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED
asuit - 2011-01-29 10:02 AM

In my story I mentioned that I get to visit some of the best resorts in the world.   My job involves me going to these and managing meetings and conferences.  Next week I will be Naples, Florida for 6 days.   My first day will be 30 hours long and will probaly be 10 -12 hours a day after that. 

I take oatmeal with me and try to find a store so I can get fruit and snacks.   The bad thing about a resort is that you are out where nothing is close and your only option is hotel food.  When I see a walgreens within walking distance I am one happy camper.  

I may be able to take a couple of runs and i'm trying to get my bike on the truck with the other equipment.  swimming will depend on the tempature.  any suggestions you may have will be greatly appreciated.  food, exercise, tricks etc.   

PS - I'm at the Broadmore in Co. in April & Downtown San Francisco in May - anybody know the area ? 

I live in CO, but is the Broadmore in Colorado Springs?  I live in N. CO. What I do know is that the state in general is VERY active and has a ton of triathlons/athletes/gyms/stores/trails/activities, so if you are in the springs you likely can find a way to squeeze in some training.  I do know that there are several stores up here that rent road bikes/wetsuits for a reasonable price, so if you wanted to get in a ride or try our an OWS you could do that and not have to lug any of your gear along.  Where I live there is some sort of pool/lake pretty much wherever you are.  April in CO can be iffy for weather.  Either amazing (60 and super sunny) or sad (snow in April, ugh.)  Sounds like your job is busy but fun!

2011-01-30 11:03 AM
in reply to: #3329305

User image

Ohio
Thank you
2011-01-31 4:50 AM
in reply to: #3271854

Chad, focused more on slowing down during my swim last night and did much better, still averaged about the same time per 100 yards, but I didn't have to stop or switch strokes every few lengths.  I'll keep working on it, last night I still had a little trouble near the end, but that might be because I went running then went swimming.

Helen, hoping to save some money for a private lesson or two.  There was one going on last night while I was at the pool, so I tried to listen in a bit and it seems like it will be worth doing.  Thankfully it isn't one of the teenagers that teaches the kids' classes!
2011-01-31 7:05 AM
in reply to: #3330143

User image

On your right

cbredderman - 2011-01-31 5:50 AM Chad, focused more on slowing down during my swim last night and did much better, still averaged about the same time per 100 yards, but I didn't have to stop or switch strokes every few lengths.  I'll keep working on it, last night I still had a little trouble near the end, but that might be because I went running then went swimming.

Helen, hoping to save some money for a private lesson or two.  There was one going on last night while I was at the pool, so I tried to listen in a bit and it seems like it will be worth doing.  Thankfully it isn't one of the teenagers that teaches the kids' classes!

Ok, maybe a bit of overkill with the bolding, underline, AND text colour change, but I felt this was super important to highlight.  Corey had been swimming faster, getting more out of breath, and needing to go to a "recovery stroke" to finish her workouts in the pool, because she was having trouble breathing.  The key thing to take note of here for everyone, is that she SLOWED DOWN and kept her average time ALMOST IDENTICAL. 

This really goes to illustrate how important technique and efficiency is when swimming.  I would guess that by slowing down, Corey was able to get a few things happening that weren't before.

She was able to blow all of her air out in the water before needing her next breath, which then lets her get a full breath, instead of small ones.  If your lungs still have air in them when you're ready to breathe, you either have to blow it out then breathe in, OR you just get a poor inhale and are stuck with CO2 in your lungs that you never fully get rid of, but still takes up volume in your lungs that keep you from getting enough O2.

Second, she likely was able to focus a little more on the "reach" part of her stroke, which will help her stay long in the water.  This will keep her more streamlined, and thus more hydrodynamic, making it easier for her to continue forward progress in the water.

Third, likely a better chance to feel the pull during her swim.  Getting a better feel for the water will help to identify the spots in your stroke that aren't working well, and then be able to take steps to fix them.

For Corey, who used to swim on a club team as a kid, these things will come a little bit easier than they will for total beginners.  But they are still great things to remember and think about. 

2011-01-31 11:30 AM

Thanks for the advice Chad.  Everything I have read about swimming says it's all about form and technique, but that is so hard to work on if you don't know what you are doing wrong.  I have an awesome running/tri store in my area that does different classes and clinics.  Was in there yesterday to get new shoes and signed up for a swim clinic the end of March.  I am really looking forward to it!
2011-01-31 12:52 PM
in reply to: #3330909

User image

On your right
Yeah, having an idea what you're supposed to be doing in the water really does make a huge difference.

Even for pretty high caliber swimmers, it's good to swim with a group or get some individual feedback from a coach about your technique.  The biking and running sort of fall into place just by doing lots of it.  But swimming is so different in that you can't just get better by doing what you always do.  There is always something to tweak that will make it better for you.

2011-01-31 1:40 PM

User image

Ohio
Tried to do a outside ride yesterday until I was introduced to Presta valve vs the Schrader valve.   What started as a quick lets check the tires turned into a 2 hour ordeal.  I finally got the right adaptor, made all the difference.  

I did 35 minutes today outside.  1 layer of tights and outer shell for the legs.  2 layers of technical shirts one long sleve one short with a columbia outer shell.   face mask hat & gloves.   I wore my running shoes which made my feet cold. 

I really enjoyed it,  Its very tough for me to do over 35 minutes on a stationary cycle i get so bored.   any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance. 

SLOW & STEADY
2011-01-31 3:22 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Corey , sounds like you have it figured out!!

....and I never knew you were a real swimmer.......geez YOU should be giving the swimmy advice!
Hey, do you want my silly username?? 
2011-01-31 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3331255

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
asuit - 2011-01-31 2:40 PM Tried to do a outside ride yesterday until I was introduced to Presta valve vs the Schrader valve.   What started as a quick lets check the tires turned into a 2 hour ordeal.  I finally got the right adaptor, made all the difference.  

I did 35 minutes today outside.  1 layer of tights and outer shell for the legs.  2 layers of technical shirts one long sleve one short with a columbia outer shell.   face mask hat & gloves.   I wore my running shoes which made my feet cold. 

I really enjoyed it,  Its very tough for me to do over 35 minutes on a stationary cycle i get so bored.   any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance. 

SLOW & STEADY

This is awesome!
How cold was it?
Last winter I rode in silly stupid temps...think the coldest was -30.
I really miss it....... 
2011-02-01 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3331519

User image

On your right
aquagirl - 2011-01-31 4:28 PM This is awesome!
How cold was it?
I really miss it....... 

And the crazy thing about that, is she only wears her avatar clothes while on the bike, regardless of temperature!
2011-02-01 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3332454

User image

Greenville, SC
Yeow. 

2011-02-01 4:55 PM

While everything here is closing, even most of the schools have already closed for tomorrow, I am hoping that things will be clear enough in the morning for the gym to open on time so I can spin before work...and that it will still be opened in the evening so I can go to cardio kickboxing.  My coworkers are beginning to think I have a problem.
2011-02-01 6:53 PM
in reply to: #3334033

User image

On your right
Don't count on the gym being open if businesses are closing.
2011-02-01 9:34 PM

Same thing here for me Corey.   Everything is shut down due to the blizzard.  They are even starting to shut down roads and interstates around here.  I work second shift, so glad I stayed home tonight because it is nasty out there!  They did close my gym early today and plan on opening later than normal tomorrow. 
2011-02-02 5:59 AM

The gym is open as usual today, though the spin instructor didn't show up...at least we have a couple extra teachers in the class!  Now if I could just convince everyone in the area to shovel and salt the sidewalks so I could go for a run...
2011-02-02 6:48 AM
in reply to: #3334665

User image

On your right
Run in the snow.  It's great for core strength and balance.  Just take it slow, and be more concerned with not falling than you are with pace.

2011-02-02 4:11 PM

User image

Greenville, SC
So, what's everyone's first expected event of the year?  Curious as to what everyone is training toward.  I am shooting for the Clemson Tri Sprint as my "comeback" event.
2011-02-02 6:42 PM
in reply to: #3334708

User image

New user
Chaderbox - 2011-02-02 5:48 AM Run in the snow.  It's great for core strength and balance.  Just take it slow, and be more concerned with not falling than you are with pace.

Speaking of core. I need some help with ideas for core exercise.  I do pilates fairly regularly, but it is just some random video I found on netflix.  How do I know if it is a good workout?? The sports med dr who diagnosed my stress fracture did some random tests and apparently my core is really weak.  I may or may not be off swimming for up to three weeks starting next week, because I may or may not be getting a tattoo for my big 3-0 which is a month away, can't swim until the scabs are gone. Ew, gross.  Hey, I figure we talked about snot already, what's a scab story?  Anyway, my first tri isn't until July, so it is okay to take a bit of time here, but during my pool sabbatical I want to focus on core.  I also will be riding, and oh so slowing building back my run.  Core workout ideas??
2011-02-02 6:44 PM
in reply to: #3335947

User image

New user
kerux - 2011-02-02 3:11 PM So, what's everyone's first expected event of the year?  Curious as to what everyone is training toward.  I am shooting for the Clemson Tri Sprint as my "comeback" event.

I registered for a sprint in my cute hometown in July.  I will also be doing another one in August/September.  I will be doing a few 5k's as soon as my friggen stress fracture is "better."  It will be slow and I am stressed about being ready for the run part of the tri in JULY, because the thing still hurts.  LAME.  There is a 5k right up the street on April 30.  I would love to do that one....
2011-02-02 7:17 PM

I kicked the year off with a New Year's 5k...that turned out to be a 6k trail run.
Another 5k on Feb 12, indoor tri March 6, half marathon March 20.
April is still being decided.
Duathlon in May
Etc., etc.  I'm trying to get in one race a month for 2011.
2011-02-02 8:04 PM
in reply to: #3336226

User image

Greenville, SC
Speaking of core. I need some help with ideas for core exercise.  I do pilates fairly regularly, but it is just some random video I found on netflix.  How do I know if it is a good workout?? The sports med dr who diagnosed my stress fracture did some random tests and apparently my core is really weak.  I may or may not be off swimming for up to three weeks starting next week, because I may or may not be getting a tattoo for my big 3-0 which is a month away, can't swim until the scabs are gone. Ew, gross.  Hey, I figure we talked about snot already, what's a scab story?  Anyway, my first tri isn't until July, so it is okay to take a bit of time here, but during my pool sabbatical I want to focus on core.  I also will be riding, and oh so slowing building back my run.  Core workout ideas??

Why not go ahead and get the tattoo a little early so it can heal while you can't swim anyway?  What are you getting BTW?

2011-02-02 9:03 PM
in reply to: #3335947

User image

Ohio
I have a sprint on May 28th called Tri for Joe for Autism.   The Cinciinati Reds have a 5k in June where you finish at home plate & I may run the "flying pig" 5K or relay the first of May.   

Edited by asuit 2011-02-02 9:10 PM
2011-02-02 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3332454

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Chaderbox - 2011-02-01 7:16 AM
aquagirl - 2011-01-31 4:28 PM This is awesome!
How cold was it?
I really miss it....... 

And the crazy thing about that, is she only wears her avatar clothes while on the bike, regardless of temperature!

This is what i actually wore!! 
2011-02-02 9:29 PM
in reply to: #3336226

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Peachfor3 - 2011-02-02 7:42 PM
Chaderbox - 2011-02-02 5:48 AM Run in the snow.  It's great for core strength and balance.  Just take it slow, and be more concerned with not falling than you are with pace.

Here is the core workout I do...

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=486     

This is a stellar workout.. Take it it slooooow at first. Its wicked good stuff. 
2011-02-02 9:31 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
Nice to hear about racing plans ....I obviously have zero goals.
Well, thats not true, but they are modest goals. I would love nothing better than to just have the ability to run again. Not long. Not fast. Just run. A wee bit........ 
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Chaderbox and aquagirl's group ! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 19