BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 29

2011-04-20 8:17 PM
in reply to: #3276373

User image

Coastal Carolina
Subject: RE: Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL

Got my swim in which went fairly well, got 2000 yards in just under 39 minutes but started cramping in both calves on the last 100 so I need to be better about hydrating during my shift, first day of the year in upper 80's and humid...  Working with a trainer in the am and my short run, but something came up for tomorrow night so switching it up again...  my long ride on saturday is now going to be a brick with a short swim right before it and riding home from the gym on the bike to give it a shakedown...

I did have a question about transitions though, I am doing my 1st tri at a beach that is fairly gritty and "sticky" sand how do I get the sand off before putting socks and shoes on for the ride and run?  Also I have been looking at past times for the race and reports here on BT for it and it is a fairly long trek from the beach to the transition zone what kind of pace should I set out on it?

2011-04-20 8:23 PM
in reply to: #3456866

User image

New user
NW Indiana
wushunut - 2011-04-20 12:53 PM

WOOHOO! Swim breakthrough for me today.  So as you all know I've been doing this 12 week beginners swimming plan.  Well today the workout was for me to swim the entire 500 continuously and I did it!  Prior to today the longest continuous swim I've ever done was a 100.  I was sceptical at first it because it seemed like a ridiculous jump to go from 100s to a 500 but I was able to do it and still felt pretty good at the end.

I could tell that I was getting tired toward the end though as my form started to falter a bit but at least I know now that I can swim the entire distance of the swim leg.  I'm pretty stoked because now I know that I can finish my first triathlon.Cool

That's awesome! Since I took your suggestion and am doing the 12 week swim program too, your success gives me hope.  You were already swimming above my level but at least I have something to aspire to. Matter of fact, as soon as my hardworking wife gets home and we have dinner I'll be heading off for week 2 workout 2.

2011-04-20 8:37 PM

Extreme Veteran
You can do it!  I started out not being able to swim a length without feeling like I was going to drown.  It's just pretty cool to see things start coming together.
2011-04-21 9:13 AM

User image

Regular
London, AR
Had another good training run of 5 miles this morning. Only issue I had was a little shoulder stitch in last 2 miles but otherwise I felt really good. Going to try and get in a 11 mile bike ride at lunch today. Happy training all!
2011-04-21 9:37 AM
in reply to: #3457692

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Tripopo - 2011-04-20 8:17 PM

Got my swim in which went fairly well, got 2000 yards in just under 39 minutes but started cramping in both calves on the last 100 so I need to be better about hydrating during my shift, first day of the year in upper 80's and humid...  Working with a trainer in the am and my short run, but something came up for tomorrow night so switching it up again...  my long ride on saturday is now going to be a brick with a short swim right before it and riding home from the gym on the bike to give it a shakedown...

I did have a question about transitions though, I am doing my 1st tri at a beach that is fairly gritty and "sticky" sand how do I get the sand off before putting socks and shoes on for the ride and run?  Also I have been looking at past times for the race and reports here on BT for it and it is a fairly long trek from the beach to the transition zone what kind of pace should I set out on it?

Nice, long swim! 

Sometimes the race will have short water buckets that you can step in before entering transition. Otherwise take an extra bike water bottle (that you won't be using on the bike) so you can quickly squirt off your feet before putting on shoes/socks. You can take a hand towel if you need to dry off your feet too. But the water bottle is quick and semi-powerful enough to get most of the sand off of you without taking the time to sit down and scrub your feet.

I have had to run several hundred yards before from the end of the swim to T1.  I don't quite run at my full run pace especially since I am barefoot but try to keep up a decent pace while also catching my breathe a little before hitting the bike. But I guess if you have a goal of trying to AG place then you should full out sprint.
But otherwise keep a moderate pace and stay safe (depends on what surface you will be running on...i.e sand, cement, grass, etc). Sorry that probably didn't really answer your question.

2011-04-21 10:40 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
actually that did answer it, not trying to place, well not the major goal but it'd be nice, but I do want sub 1:20 on the race thanks good tip about the water bottle, i'll have to ask about the water buckets on packet pick up

2011-04-21 1:15 PM

Veteran
Indiana
wushunut - 2011-04-20 1:53 PM

WOOHOO! Swim breakthrough for me today.  So as you all know I've been doing this 12 week beginners swimming plan.  Well today the workout was for me to swim the entire 500 continuously and I did it!  Prior to today the longest continuous swim I've ever done was a 100.  I was sceptical at first it because it seemed like a ridiculous jump to go from 100s to a 500 but I was able to do it and still felt pretty good at the end.

I could tell that I was getting tired toward the end though as my form started to falter a bit but at least I know now that I can swim the entire distance of the swim leg.  I'm pretty stoked because now I know that I can finish my first triathlon.Cool

Awesome!

2011-04-21 3:02 PM
in reply to: #3458698

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish

Tripopo - 2011-04-21 10:40 AM actually that did answer it, not trying to place, well not the major goal but it'd be nice, but I do want sub 1:20 on the race thanks good tip about the water bottle, i'll have to ask about the water buckets on packet pick up

I've used the water bottle but in order to save time I don't worry about drying my feet because I ride sockless.  Wet feet slide into stiff bike shoes without any extra time or effort.  I practiced riding sockless a few times before my first race and it was comfortable for me with no blisters.  Now I feel weird when it's cold enough to force me to put socks on while I'm riding. 

By the time you get back to transition your feet are dry so all you have to do is brush off any remaining sand/dirt/grit before rolling your socks on and taking off for the run. 

2011-04-21 3:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago-ish
wushunut - 2011-04-20 12:53 PM

It's such a great feeling when you hit your goal distance for the first time.  And you still have over a month to get even better! Now that you have the confidence you're going to kill your first race and I can't wait to hear about it.

2011-04-22 9:06 AM

St. Paul

So this is a general question - I'm scheduled to run my first 5K next Sunday. My current training plan has a rest week but it is after the race. Wondering if I should switch that so the week preceeding the run is a rest week - or if it's better to have a rest week after you do a race. It's not a big race, just never run that distance - it could, however, fit into a long run on my regular plan.

So it's more of a question of generally how you work your training around actual events.

thanks!

Mary

2011-04-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: #3460460

User image

Regular
London, AR
For 5k races I generally just go with my training plan, not really any changes. On the longer distances i.e. Half Marathons I will taper off the week leading to race. I will then take days off after the race and just depending on how I feel will determine how many days. But that is just me, everyone has their own pre and post race rituals as far as what their workouts look like. Good luck on your 5k! And have fun!

2011-04-22 3:39 PM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
Happy Friday everyone. Got 3 swims in this week. Did my usual 10x50 on Wednesday. Yesterday, after reading about Keye's accomplishment in his 12 week plan I started thinking about the plan I'm also doing at his suggestion. I went back and reread the plan and then it occurred to me this plan was for a 500 meter Sprint.......my first is a 750 meter....Doh! So, Ive just adjusted the program to fit my 750 meter goal. Today instead of 10x50 I did 10x75 and will just increase the plan's recommended swims by 30%, give or take, to reach my goal. Have done nothing but swim this week.....saving my questionable knees for a 5k at Purdue tomorrow. Hopefully the cold rain we've been enjoying Yellwill have ended by then. Have a great weekend everyone!
2011-04-22 4:49 PM

Extreme Veteran

Doh!  It shouldn't be a problem for you though.  I've already done the 500 distance and still have 1.5 months until my race.  You should be able to get to 750 without any problems.  IIRC a few of the workouts coming up for me is just to swim for 30minutes straight.  I did my first 500 in 10.49 so I'm pretty sure by the time I'm supposed to do 30minutes straight I'll be doing far more than 500.

My workout today was blah. I'm hesitant to even call it a workout.  Was supposed to bike today (long ride) but the course I usually ride on was closed, so a I went out for a run instead.  Only problem is that I went in the middle of the afternoon on a sunny Florida day (it was HOT) and hadn't eaten anything since breakfast.  Needless to say I bonked and bonked hard.  Ended up walking up couple of times before finishing the run.  Blech.

2011-04-23 10:15 AM

User image

Coastal Carolina
first ride on the new bike went well, 7.2 miles at an avg of 19.6 mph pace after a 2x500 swim workout, had planned to do a longer ride but forgot my multi tool and the saddle needed some adjustments, question for the road bikes though, getting out of the saddle to power through is there a trick?  felt very unsteady when I tried or is it just me being used to the fat tires?
2011-04-23 10:33 AM
in reply to: #3462171

User image

Regular
London, AR

Tripopo - 2011-04-23 10:15 AM first ride on the new bike went well, 7.2 miles at an avg of 19.6 mph pace after a 2x500 swim workout, had planned to do a longer ride but forgot my multi tool and the saddle needed some adjustments, question for the road bikes though, getting out of the saddle to power through is there a trick?  felt very unsteady when I tried or is it just me being used to the fat tires?

I had wondered the same thing on powering up steep inclines. I feel very unsteady and I can only imagine how I look doing it LOL. Nice time though on your bike ride

I started my taper today as next Sunday I will be traveling to Oklahoma City for the Memorial run. I did 6 miles today, it was very humid but I got through it. Did pick up a blister on my heel UGH. Haven't had one of those in 6 months. Somehow the heel of my sock got below my shoe top and that is where the friction happened. Felt it about mile 5. On that subject, if your biking and running sock less, isn't there concern with friction and blisters or is there tricks to alleviate the friction? Have a Great Weekend all!!!

2011-04-23 10:44 AM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
finished my "ramp run challenge" 5k in 28:17.......1:01 off my last effortCool woo hoo!.  Didnt really have any trouble with the ramps at the parking garage but my ITBS issue screamed for the last 3/4 mile. Very happy with the time but very very discouraged with the leg issue....I've worked my butt off (literallyWink)  the last 10 months to get my fitness to this point and it's frustrating to have it sidelined by a nagging injury. Oh well....such is life. How's everyone's weekend going?

2011-04-23 10:55 AM
in reply to: #3462199

User image

Regular
London, AR
Nice job SFD156, sorry to hear about your ITBS issues.
2011-04-23 11:34 AM

Lexington OH

Hey Guys:

Subject of life happening is hitting me.  Car is in the garage, and not sure when it will be out, and my wife and I are down to one vehicle for at least the next week, so will have to really work around her schedule to get my workouts in. 

Our spinning instructor is a triathlete and will be turning 50 this week, and is running IM Florida (full distance).  I've talked to him about where I am and what I have planned, and he says that I'm right on, but a couple other people in the tri-club here are trying to talk me into stepping it up a bit and doing a Sprint in September.  My big goal is Cycle North Carolina (CNC) the first week of October (7 days of riding with an average per day of 65 miles).  I've also signed up for my first 5k in August that I'd like to do in under 40 minutes.  I'm at about 46-48 minutes (run/jog) now.  Never have been a runner.  I like to swim and I'm putting in 2-3 swim workouts a week to just build up to 500yards with a good time (6-8 minutes).  When the weather turns really nice, then I will probably drop a swim and a run workout to focus more on the bike.   I know that cross-training is good for fitness, but nothing replaces time in the saddle.  So, I'm getting two different perspectives from two different fitness/tri gurus. 

What's everyone's take on this?

2011-04-23 1:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
My thought is that you know yourself best and you came up with a plan with your abilities in mind.  I'm the type that sets my goals and sticks with it.  I'm just paranoid that other distractions, no matter what my friends say ( I have one that's been bugging me about the Tough Mudder), because I'm afraid that it'll be counter productive to MY goals.
2011-04-23 2:03 PM

Extreme Veteran

So I had my first open water swim session today.  There is coaching organization that was hosting a free open water swim clinic so I decided to take advantage of it. Four words describe my experience:

Freaked the Heck out.

I guess I was just surprised at how affected I actually was.  I had been building up a good amount of confidence in the pool, but getting out there in that open water is an all new experience.  I didn't start getting all weirded out until I realized I couldn't see the bottom anymore, couldn't touch bottom, and there wasn't a nice side of the pool to hold onto.  My form went all to hell and I just went into survival mode.  We did one lap around the buoys, which was supposed to be 300meters.  Come to find out later that they had misplaced the buoys and was actually 400meters.  This requirement on the website stated that I needed to be able to swim 100meters :-| .  This after I just swam my first 500 just this past Wednesday. 

I'm happy to report that we went out a second time, just an out and back for the newbies ~200-250meters and was able to calm down and regain some of my form.  Actually passed a couple of folks.  Not that I cared, I just wanted to make it to shore.

I guess I just need more time doing OWS so I stop getting freaked out like I did. 

2011-04-23 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3462337

Lexington OH

wushunut - 2011-04-23 2:55 PM My thought is that you know yourself best and you came up with a plan with your abilities in mind.  I'm the type that sets my goals and sticks with it.  I'm just paranoid that other distractions, no matter what my friends say ( I have one that's been bugging me about the Tough Mudder), because I'm afraid that it'll be counter productive to MY goals.

You're right of course, but I think I'll compromise. 

September is a ways off yet, and depending on how I feel, and where my training is at the end of June, then I can make a decision to do it or not.  Stick with my plan, but leave room based on fitness level, financial means, and wife's blessing..   If I decide to do it:  will give me 10 weeks from that point to the race.  I can handle the swim and the bike now, but not the run, so it's a matter of working toward that 5k in August and then putting it all together for September, making sure I'm in shape enough to do the CNC ride the first full week in October.

2011-04-23 6:00 PM
in reply to: #3462346

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
wushunut - 2011-04-23 2:03 PM

So I had my first open water swim session today.  There is coaching organization that was hosting a free open water swim clinic so I decided to take advantage of it. Four words describe my experience:

Freaked the Heck out.

I guess I was just surprised at how affected I actually was.  I had been building up a good amount of confidence in the pool, but getting out there in that open water is an all new experience.  I didn't start getting all weirded out until I realized I couldn't see the bottom anymore, couldn't touch bottom, and there wasn't a nice side of the pool to hold onto.  My form went all to hell and I just went into survival mode.  We did one lap around the buoys, which was supposed to be 300meters.  Come to find out later that they had misplaced the buoys and was actually 400meters.  This requirement on the website stated that I needed to be able to swim 100meters :-| .  This after I just swam my first 500 just this past Wednesday. 

I'm happy to report that we went out a second time, just an out and back for the newbies ~200-250meters and was able to calm down and regain some of my form.  Actually passed a couple of folks.  Not that I cared, I just wanted to make it to shore.

I guess I just need more time doing OWS so I stop getting freaked out like I did. 

Glad that you had a chance to do an open water swim. I think it's really important do practice open water swims before doing a tri that has one. I think most people assume it's not that much of a difference but as you and most of us have experienced it is. Good job out there!

2011-04-23 6:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Finally a warm day in Chicago so I was able to get in a 15 mile bike ride followed by a 5 mile run today. Ahh how I have missed the warm weather and it's only 60 here today
2011-04-24 7:40 PM

User image

New user
NW Indiana
Wow....everybody must be BUSY this Easter......we are languishing away on the bottom of the page....that's unacceptable....especially for a big mouth like me. Didn't get a workout in per se as I had to work, but I did ride the mountain bike to and from work and did a little strength training while I was there, so That's my "holiday workout".
2011-04-25 7:04 AM

St. Paul

Hey Dan - I'll do my part to keep us on the front page

Ran on Saturday and was totally proud of myself for not letting a little rain keep me inside. My husband tells me that a true "road warrior" would not let a little rain stop her... so I trotted out the door. After about 5 minutes the rain stopped (ok it was really just a drizzle) and turned just gorgeous. Amazing how much more one sees when moving thru the world on your own power.

Came home from the cabin on Sunday evening and it was still a beautiful day, so I got out the bike for my very first outside bike of the season. And given what my usual first day of the season on my bike feels like - all I can say is that indoor training does pay off. I couldn't believe how strong my legs felt. It was great. Beautiful day - good training chances. Feeling like a million bucks. Thanks to triathlons.

Hope everyone had a good weekend. and Wushnut - THANKS for sharing your open water experience. I've been so worried about it, and I want to know how you work thru that. It's still so cold here I'm not sure I will get in the water until June and then it's so close to the actual event, it leaves me a bit uncertain.

Mary

Edited by bakerswife 2011-04-25 7:04 AM
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Allison and Ryan's Beginner Mentor Group - FULL Rss Feed  

of 29