BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 122

2011-12-25 2:07 PM
in reply to: #3942748

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED

Jen/Scott

I am intrigued by the 100 push up challenge, and thinking in following your steps and doing it. Definitely could benefit from some upper body strenght.

How did you go about scheduling the exercises? Morning/night? How sore/fatigued are your shoulders/arms after doing it? Do you recommend I avoid doing the push-ups on the same day I am scheduled to swim?

Thanks and Merry Christmass and happy holidays to all.

2011-12-25 2:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Merry Christmas!
2011-12-25 2:56 PM

Veteran
Hope that everyone is having a merry Christmas. I'm going to try and sneak out this afternoon for a run between houseguests. My husband is taking his parents to the airport right now and we are picking mine up from the airport at 5. So that gives me three hours to clean, change the sheets in the guest room, and run.
2011-12-25 5:26 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

For those that are new to the sport and have questions, please ask... Don't think that the question is too dumb for the thread or anything like that, the whole purpose of mixing experienced triathletes with newbies is that of sharing information and getting back some of the enthusiasm that comes with beginning this (lifetime long) sport.

Also, I would like to wish you a Merry Christmas, a Happy New Year and a lot of challenges for 2012. Don't ever forget that we do this for fun, nobody in this thread is a pro or profits out of this in any way (actually quite the opposite, hehe).

Edited by ernestov 2011-12-25 5:27 PM
2011-12-25 7:30 PM

New user

Houston, TX

Merry Christmas to everyone!  I've got some swimming questions:

What is the benefit of using paddles during training?  Is it just to increase muscle development?  Also, What percentage of your workout should you use the paddles?  Any advice on buying paddles?

What causes your hips to sink when are taking a breath?  Could I just be going to slow? I know it might be too specific of a question without seeing how I swim but any general thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks-

William

2011-12-25 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3953550

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
steelfin - 2011-12-25 8:30 PM

What causes your hips to sink when are taking a breath?  William

William:

I am a new triathlete and not the best swimmer, but in my case my hips (and legs) normally sink because I am holding my head too high. Even when concentrating on keeping my head low (i.e. "tucked" chin, looking at the floor, not ahead), I sometimes still feel my legs sinking when taking a breath. I know in my case it is because I am not rotating my body enough, so I raise my head to breathe and my hips and legs go down.

Hope that helps, and lets see what the more experience swimmers think.

2011-12-25 8:00 PM

User image

Master
Dallas

steelfin - 2011-12-25 7:30 PM

Merry Christmas to everyone!  I've got some swimming questions:

What is the benefit of using paddles during training?  Is it just to increase muscle development?  Also, What percentage of your workout should you use the paddles?  Any advice on buying paddles?

What causes your hips to sink when are taking a breath?  Could I just be going to slow? I know it might be too specific of a question without seeing how I swim but any general thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks-

William

William, paddles not only give you more strength but also correct your entry, catch and pull phases. Even the way your hand exits the water is affected in a positive way. There's several types of paddles, speedos are good and the finis freestyle paddles are particularly good for triathletes since we don't do any other styles. Some triathletes use paddles for the entirety of the workout, me in particular don't like them a lot, only used them when my swim instructor makes me which amounts to about a quarter of my swim workout, sometimes combined with a pull buoy. Like Samy says, two things can make your hips sink: looking "up" and/or a poor kick.

Edited by ernestov 2011-12-25 8:03 PM
2011-12-25 8:37 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs

Ernesto,
I typically use paddles when my workout calls for form drills, which I think it the kind of thing you were referring to.  However, I was told by a former pro triathlete and swim instructor that I should do my long swims with paddles to build strength and endurance.  What do you think about that?

Samy,
We are doing the workout on hundredpushups.com.  We've typically been doing them at night sometime after dinner so it's definitely after all other workouts are finished.  I don't think it would affect your swimming because you do a test at the beginning to see what level you should do.  For example, we are both on the third column and the most pushups we did in a given set the whole first week was 15.  I found when I was weight lifting my swim technique was better but it might have been been all in my mind.  My primary reason for doing pushups right now is I have my annual fitness test coming up next month and I haven't done any pushups in a year.  Time to quit slacking!

Jim,
As far as how to indoor cycle qithout slitting your wrists, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  For the last few years, I've been using Spinervals DVDs, and Jennie now uses them with me in our basement.  I like them because on the bike I think I benefit from a coach yelling at me to speed up and stop slacking.  I've been running long enough to not have that issue with running.  I did most of my training for my last Half IM using the Spinervals DVDs and the bike leg worked out decent for me.  The run wasn't so good because it was so hot and humid that a fellow runner told me he was calling it the Disney Death March (long story).  Ernesto has suggested another DVD set called Sufferfest which uses a lot of real bike race video footage but I've only looked at them online and haven't gotten around to getting any yet.  But the nice thing about indoor cycling is, if you do it right, there is no wasted time and you can focus your workout on what you need to work on.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!  I was supposed to run today but bailed on that due to getting up so early.  I decided a nap on the couch was more prudent today. 

2011-12-25 8:43 PM

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs

I wasn't a super hero the past two days...  There was no way to cook, entertain and spend time with the kids and get a workout in.  I thought I was going to be able to do a Spinerval with Scott but I couldn't clone myself in time.  I did manage to get the 100 Push Up Challenge workout done.  Combined total of 68 push ups in 5 sets (week 1 complete).  

Samy- I know Scott responded about the Challenge.  My primary reason is strength building.  Hoping to improve my pull in the swim.  

Ernesto and Everyone...  I am doing the total immersion lessons right now.  My question is: Should I be doing other drills (paddles/ bull buoy/kickboard/fingertip)... Or only do the lessons from total Immersion.  We have the book Triathalon Swimming Made Easy, which is from the total immersion series.  I think we are going to the book store tomorrow to look at the other and well as the book for getting to "race weight".  

This week we start or hill training and hopefully my toe will not be an issue.  

Hope everyone had a great Christmas..  Scott bought me aero bars!!!!!!  Taking my bike in to have them put on and look intoo a new saddle.  The last 300 miles on that one have not been pretty!

2011-12-25 9:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
steelfin - 2011-12-25 7:30 PM What causes your hips to sink when are taking a breath?  Could I just be going to slow? I know it might be too specific of a question without seeing how I swim but any general thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks-

William

Just as samyg said, you are probably lifting your head when you breathe.  Think about rolling your whole body from head to toe. Relax your neck and let your head drop.

2011-12-25 10:03 PM
in reply to: #3953595

User image

Master
Dallas
scottputnam - 2011-12-25 8:37 PM

Ernesto,
I typically use paddles when my workout calls for form drills, which I think it the kind of thing you were referring to.  However, I was told by a former pro triathlete and swim instructor that I should do my long swims with paddles to build strength and endurance.  What do you think about that?

Samy,
We are doing the workout on hundredpushups.com.  We've typically been doing them at night sometime after dinner so it's definitely after all other workouts are finished.  I don't think it would affect your swimming because you do a test at the beginning to see what level you should do.  For example, we are both on the third column and the most pushups we did in a given set the whole first week was 15.  I found when I was weight lifting my swim technique was better but it might have been been all in my mind.  My primary reason for doing pushups right now is I have my annual fitness test coming up next month and I haven't done any pushups in a year.  Time to quit slacking!

Jim,
As far as how to indoor cycle qithout slitting your wrists, there is more than one way to skin a cat.  For the last few years, I've been using Spinervals DVDs, and Jennie now uses them with me in our basement.  I like them because on the bike I think I benefit from a coach yelling at me to speed up and stop slacking.  I've been running long enough to not have that issue with running.  I did most of my training for my last Half IM using the Spinervals DVDs and the bike leg worked out decent for me.  The run wasn't so good because it was so hot and humid that a fellow runner told me he was calling it the Disney Death March (long story).  Ernesto has suggested another DVD set called Sufferfest which uses a lot of real bike race video footage but I've only looked at them online and haven't gotten around to getting any yet.  But the nice thing about indoor cycling is, if you do it right, there is no wasted time and you can focus your workout on what you need to work on.

I hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!  I was supposed to run today but bailed on that due to getting up so early.  I decided a nap on the couch was more prudent today. 

The paddles giving you more strength and endurance is a true fact, I just don't like them that much. It is just a personal preference though...

2011-12-25 10:29 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs

Ernesto,
Agree on the paddles.  Not fun but if it can make me faster then I'll suck it up. 

On the group riding, we'll look into it finding groups to ride with, but we'll mostly be riding on base to start with so finding groups for that will be challenging.  Here's the route we'll be taking:  http://connect.garmin.com/player/105545268.  I noticed the scale on the elevation chart is whacked, so you'll have to go to the player to see the elevation.  The downhills should be exciting!

2011-12-25 10:30 PM
in reply to: #3953628

Veteran
GAUG3 - 2011-12-25 9:42 PM
steelfin - 2011-12-25 7:30 PM What causes your hips to sink when are taking a breath?  Could I just be going to slow? I know it might be too specific of a question without seeing how I swim but any general thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks-

William

Just as samyg said, you are probably lifting your head when you breathe.  Think about rolling your whole body from head to toe. Relax your neck and let your head drop.

You need to keep your head down when you swim. The lines are on the bottom for a reason and you should use them - you really never should be looking at the end and should be looking straight down. When you turn your head to breathe, your chin should almost touch your neck and shoulder. Your hips also might be sinking if you have a weak core. Right after I gave birth (not a problem for you) I had back pain when swimming and was carrying my head too high causing my back to arch. Increasing my core strength got me back in the right alignment again. Also, if you keep your kick up faster you should sink less.
2011-12-25 10:34 PM
in reply to: #3953659

User image

Maple Grove, MN
elizabethk - 2011-12-25 10:30 PM

Thanks-

William

You need to keep your head down when you swim. The lines are on the bottom for a reason and you should use them - you really never should be looking at the end and should be looking straight down. When you turn your head to breathe, your chin should almost touch your neck and shoulder. Your hips also might be sinking if you have a weak core. Right after I gave birth (not a problem for you) I had back pain when swimming and was carrying my head too high causing my back to arch. Increasing my core strength got me back in the right alignment again. Also, if you keep your kick up faster you should sink less.

The only problem with this is that they don't put those lines on the bottoms of the lakes around here. So you end up having to lift your head to sight anyway. Given that, what is the point of learning not to lift your head when in a pool?
2011-12-25 11:26 PM

User image

Regular
Colorado Springs

I think having your head down is extremely important whether in the pool or open water.  Even if you're in a lake, you need to keep your head down until you come up to sight.  For me, swimming is like golf.  I constantly have to remind myself to keep my head down.  If I can get back into swimming shape, I'll probably practice sighting when I do long swims in the pool to get ready for open water racing later.

2011-12-25 11:29 PM
in reply to: #3953660

User image

Veteran
Colorado Springs
chris2533 - 2011-12-25 9:34 PM
elizabethk - 2011-12-25 10:30 PM

Thanks-

William

Keeping my head down is about the only thing I do well with swimming.  After going over the Total Immersion video and then getting in the pool, I found a more balanced position with easy kicking as compared to kicking faster as I had been.  I also kept mentally thinking about being "tall" and relaxed.  

2011-12-26 4:33 AM

User image

Deutschland

Mitch,

Are you following Jorge's plan using power or heart rate?  I'm going to use heart rate, but I'm not sure where to start with my "threshold" heart rate... I think at the end of week 2 or 3 there is the 30 min test, and the average HR from that is used as threshold, but what to use until then?

2011-12-26 6:59 AM
in reply to: #3953598

User image

Expert
Somewhere in the Swamps of Philly
jenputnam - 2011-12-25 9:43 PM

Ernesto and Everyone...  I am doing the total immersion lessons right now.  My question is: Should I be doing other drills (paddles/ bull buoy/kickboard/fingertip)... Or only do the lessons from total Immersion.  We have the book Triathalon Swimming Made Easy, which is from the total immersion series.  I think we are going to the book store tomorrow to look at the other and well as the book for getting to "race weight".  

Jen - I did TI for a couple of years and feel that TI is great by itself but doesn't necessarily integrate as well with other training techniques.  Since I started with a coach, I recognize some similarities between TI and what I am hearing from the coach - head down, lean on your lungs, long and efficient body position, etc. TI generally discourages the use of fins, paddles, buoys.  I have found the use of the equipment to be very helpful.  I really struggle with my feet/kick and TI does very little in terms of promoting kicking except for focusing on a two beat kick.  I got the 2BK down, but there are other aspects of the kick that I needed work on and didn't really get the help I needed until I started using fins per my coach.

How far into TI are you?

Joe

2011-12-26 7:14 AM

User image

South Jersey

Struggling with the rotation part of the swim.  Anyone have specific suggestions or drills to help improve this?

Way to go everyone who got some training in yesterday, just couldn't swing it here.

2011-12-26 8:20 AM

User image

Expert

Hey Guys:

If you go to my log, I gathered everyone's name  and links (except for Lynn - need to open access or friend everyone) to their respective logs and posted them to the top of my page.  You should be able to copy and paste them if you want into your log.  Let me know if I missed anyone.  

Let's get those inspires going.

Joe

2011-12-26 8:28 AM
in reply to: #3953781

User image

Expert
JulDee - 2011-12-26 8:14 AM

Struggling with the rotation part of the swim.  Anyone have specific suggestions or drills to help improve this?

Way to go everyone who got some training in yesterday, just couldn't swing it here.

Rotation issues usually relate to balance. Check these out drills and see if they help (they may be difficult):

http://www.teamintraining.org/chapter/rm/doc/swimdrills.pdf

2011-12-26 9:00 AM
in reply to: #3953827

Veteran
I didnt check the video but I have taught lots is swimming over the years. Try kicking on your left side with your left arm extended for 4 counts, breathing to the right, and then take a big stroke and kick on your right side w your right arm extended for four counts. Does that make sense? You're rolling back and forth done the pool. It's good rotation practice and for breathing on both sides. And whomever asked about boredom on the trainer, I have three sufferfest videos and also stream on Netflix. Boredom is still a huge problem for me as evidenced by my almost non-existent bike times in my logs.
2011-12-26 10:36 AM
in reply to: #3953742

User image

Master
Fireball Small - 2011-12-26 4:33 AM

Mitch,

Are you following Jorge's plan using power or heart rate?  I'm going to use heart rate, but I'm not sure where to start with my "threshold" heart rate... I think at the end of week 2 or 3 there is the 30 min test, and the average HR from that is used as threshold, but what to use until then?

What type of trainer do you have?  I would use power if at all possible.  If you have a cycle ops or kurt kinetic you can use the power version.  The reason I shy away from the HR is that HR lags and power is instant.  I think in the 2 week prep phase you can use RPE or approx. what your LT HR would be.  I guessed at my current CP for the first two weeks and was pretty much dead on.

2011-12-26 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3953660

User image

Extreme Veteran

chris2533 - 2011-12-25 10:34 PMThe only problem with this is that they don't put those lines on the bottoms of the lakes around here. So you end up having to lift your head to sight anyway. Given that, what is the point of learning not to lift your head when in a pool?

True that there is no lines in the OWS.  However, how you train is how you race.  You should not need to site on every breath.  Do 1 site at the center of your lane.  I bilateral breathe and site on every 4th breath on the right.

2011-12-26 10:41 AM
in reply to: #3953822

User image

Extreme Veteran
JoePetto - 2011-12-26 8:20 AM

Hey Guys:

If you go to my log, I gathered everyone's name  and links (except for Lynn - need to open access or friend everyone) to their respective logs and posted them to the top of my page.  You should be able to copy and paste them if you want into your log.  Let me know if I missed anyone.  

Let's get those inspires going.

Joe

Can you fix mine?  It's Cason...not CaRson.  Cool

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ernesto's group (third season) - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 122