BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 43

2012-01-04 7:11 PM
in reply to: #3943322

User image

SE North Carolina
Subject: RE: Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED
I use to be a golfaholic, but had to prioritize hobbies over the years, now im into this triathlon thing and its proving to be just as expensive with some of the race fees and the bike I bought last month........that looks like a pretty good swing though........

2012-01-04 7:20 PM

User image

Regular

Happy Wednesday, friends!  I'm lovin' all the pics!!  I have no idea how to post a pic on this board, or I'd do it.

Saw my coach today.  I brought my bike and the new pedals and big girl shoes so he could help me install them and make sure they're adjusted right.  Turns out I bought shoes that were too big, so he went with me to return them and get different ones.  He got them installed, and I tried them out on his trainer first.  Not too bad.  I got brave, and we went for a ride around his neighborhood where he had me practice clipping in and out.  Actually, I have freakishly good bike handling skills from my 10 years as a bmx tomboy, so I had no problems.  And no falling - (yet).  I swear, my tri coach is so freaking awesome, it makes my head spin.  I pay him for an hour of training each week, but he usually spends 3 1/2 hours with me.  How crazy is that?  And he's got me on a great program to work toward doing a half marathon in March.  I met my coach through a tri group that I'm signed up with.  So I've been doing group training since August, but this one-on-one stuff is SOOOO helpful!!!  I'm so pumped after each session, and then I can get on here and learn even more.  I'm gonna be a freakin' expert before you know it, LOL!

Edited by MoniqueGriffith 2012-01-04 7:20 PM
2012-01-04 8:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

My bio for the new team members. I realised I had forgotten to post it....

Cheeky / Deb.

I'm 36 and grew up in the UK but moved to the US 7 yrs ago. When I moved over here I took on my new husbands eating habits and ended up rather 'lardy'. We moved from NY to BOS  I participated in my first Tri about 5 years ago and was totally humiliated and vowed never to do it again.

Fast forward 18 months later I had a training partner and I had discovered the local Y and met some fabulous people. I finished another Tri and felt much better about things. I have since completed quite a few sprints, a HM, and a HIM.

Family.

I am married to a wonderful guy who has no interest in doing a tri, but will gladly shlep my 'stuff' around, drive courses i 'might' want to do, travel with me, get up at 4am on race days, stand and cheer me on etc. etc.

I also have 2 kids - Marcus (18) and Sophie (17). Sophie lives with me, Marcus lives with his Dad in the UK. She thinks I am completely mad, but will come to the bigger races with us.

I also have 2 cats. One came from the Uk with me - Skinny mini -She is as cute as they come and I love her to bits. The other is Lex, a 23lb tur*, that is the love of hubby's life.

Current training.

I am currently using a lot of weights, doing TRX and running.

Last years races.

Numerous 5K's

Season opener

King Pine Tri

Patriot HIM

Buzzards bay tri

Mill city relay

2012 races

Lake placid marathon

Pumpkinman HIM

buzzards bay tri

Mill city relay

Weight loss

Urgh don't even ask. I can NOT for the life of me shift any weight. I dropped down to around 1K cals a day and got down to 156. Then started training and required more cals..... UP,UP, UP to 174. I'm trying to eat clean and i'm down to about 169/170 but its a battle. I am built more like a pit bull than a greyhound and my body just fights me the whole way. 

My long term goal is IMLP. in 2013. I have 'just' secured a coach and will be doing a marathon there this coming year (almost the exact same course as IM).

2012-01-04 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
North Shore, MA.

Picture Wednesday...

This was after New Jersey State Tri.

OMG the heat that day was ridiculous. Heat index was around 103? I am still to this day 'slightly' baffled as to how my husband looks SO disheveled (sp?), when he had been sat in the shade and I was the one doing all the work???

(jersey_opt.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
jersey_opt.jpg (59KB - 6 downloads)
2012-01-04 9:25 PM
in reply to: #3971261

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
MANDOWN - 2012-01-04 4:40 PM

looks like this is a good group, I see I have alot of work ahead of me to even try to keep up with some of you, Im gonna have to step it up a notch. I ran 3 miles on the treadmill (hate running inside) and did 30 minutes on the bike in the gym. Ive got alot to do between now and may..

THat is what is so cool about this group we all push each other, plus in a way we are all accountable to each other.  Again welcome

2012-01-04 9:27 PM
in reply to: #3971453

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH

tmoran80 - 2012-01-04 6:24 PM Blood work came back with everything normal Laughing

Except you!!!! lol  ( I guess anyone who does IM's isn't normal)   Great news though

2012-01-04 9:31 PM
in reply to: #3971733

User image

Expert
Findlay, OH
cheekymonkeys1 - 2012-01-04 9:16 PM

Picture Wednesday...

This was after New Jersey State Tri.

OMG the heat that day was ridiculous. Heat index was around 103? I am still to this day 'slightly' baffled as to how my husband looks SO disheveled (sp?), when he had been sat in the shade and I was the one doing all the work???

OK is he a giant or are you short!!! lol  Just kidding, love the pic

2012-01-04 9:35 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hi Team.

Home from the pool - real busy tonight - 2 high school swim teams practicing because the college pool is closed until next Monday. I have to be honest, I almost left and went home but - RFP - I stuck around and I am glad I did. Now was it the best swim I have ever had, no, but I grinded it out, bumped into a few people and got 2300 meters in. I was real dissapointed that I did not get my bike in today so I can sleep easy knowing I did get 30 minutes of yoga and a decent swim in anyway.

Monique - sounds like a great Coach you have there and from reading the postings of our Group - we are all very glad you are sticking with us. Make sure you share all the stuff you learn with me - I need it!

Deb - awesome pic, thanks for sharing.

Niezels - I wanted to say that I love that fact that you are in the Netherlands because while we are all sleeping you are posting and it is great to have this group active around the clock and I look forward to your spammings in the morning Laughing. I still can't get over that pic you posted. It almost looks like a transition area for an IronMan LOL.

Have a great night team. I hope to get that bike in sometime tomorrow.

KC

Edited by kcgolf 2012-01-04 9:40 PM
2012-01-04 9:38 PM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario
Hey Coach - how was your day?
2012-01-04 9:48 PM
in reply to: #3971614

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Hey Kev.

This triathlon thing has taken center stage right now for me as well. Playing competitive golf for me at one time was a huge part of my life but not so much anymore and I am cool with that for now. I won't bore you with all the details or the reasons, hell I am not so sure I even know what they are or want to give it to much thought. I guess I might be afraid I might come up with some answers to my questions LOL. For now however, I play golf but I made some room in my life for triathlons and I love it.

MANDOWN - 2012-01-04 8:11 PM I use to be a golfaholic, but had to prioritize hobbies over the years, now im into this triathlon thing and its proving to be just as expensive with some of the race fees and the bike I bought last month........that looks like a pretty good swing though........

2012-01-04 9:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.

Tim, GREAT news.

Deb, you look great.  Join the crowd with the battle of the calories.  I just did my Body Bugg and found 3200 burn with 1800 consumed.  Not sure how that will rock.  I can tell you I ran an hour at a solid tempo pace for me for 10K and then did 30 mins of PT with the kettle bells, pushups, planks.  I was a little light headed for a bit at the end of the 4th circuit with the bells.  All good.  I think I will settle into knowing how much I can fuel up for workouts soon and just use liquids to get it done.

Tomorrow morning, 4:30, pool with no heater.  Still have a little pink skin from the food allergy.  Pills gone today so if I still have it, I guess the nurse gets called to see what they suggest.

Also after work, 2 hour bike. 

Have a great night.

2012-01-04 9:50 PM
in reply to: #3971881

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Scott - you Rock!

IceManScott - 2012-01-04 10:48 PM

Tim, GREAT news.

Deb, you look great.  Join the crowd with the battle of the calories.  I just did my Body Bugg and found 3200 burn with 1800 consumed.  Not sure how that will rock.  I can tell you I ran an hour at a solid tempo pace for me for 10K and then did 30 mins of PT with the kettle bells, pushups, planks.  I was a little light headed for a bit at the end of the 4th circuit with the bells.  All good.  I think I will settle into knowing how much I can fuel up for workouts soon and just use liquids to get it done.

Tomorrow morning, 4:30, pool with no heater.  Still have a little pink skin from the food allergy.  Pills gone today so if I still have it, I guess the nurse gets called to see what they suggest.

Also after work, 2 hour bike. 

Have a great night.

2012-01-04 10:28 PM

User image

Pro
Houston

A bit of good news for me: I ran track tonight (not speedwork) and it went well. The knee was pretty quiet, just whispering at me rather than yelling. This is a VERY good sign. My Oly plan starts Sunday and I really want to be able to run when I am supposed to. Hoping this injury is behind me but know I need to be careful.

2012-01-04 10:48 PM

User image

Expert

Another busy day at work...I don't want to even think about it anymore.  Ughh.  Planned to stop and grocery and fix dinner for the family and head to the gym but sitting on the couch with my Wife seemed like a better idea.  Glad I did, we have not done that in a while.  Watching the WVU vs. Clemson beatdown now.  My Cardinals beat this team at WVU, wish it was Louisville there in Miami.

This thread moves fast, don't check in for a day and I am 3 pages behind.  It's 11:52 so I am going to sneak in a Photo of the Family.

2012-01-05 6:19 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Good Morning Team.

Keri - nice work - good idea giving that knee time to get better.

Brian - hang in there and don't beat yourself up, it is ok to just sit and relax once in a while - it will rejunivate you.

Have a great day team.

KC

2012-01-05 7:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Normal, Ill.
It was good to get back to masters.  Water wasn't so bad.  Coach had me do easy laps just to get the muscles warm and check form,.  Felt pretty good.   Bike after work.  Have a great day.

2012-01-05 8:24 AM
in reply to: #3972188

User image

Veteran
Milwaukee, WI

Good morning everyone!

I had a very rough morning today.  Woke up late, realized my husband had hit the snooze button on the alarm I set before I even heard it (I am a VERY sound sleeper!) and was running late to masters.  Once I got in the water, I really struggled with the workout today.  My arms were killing me, I was completely out of breath, and I could feel my form falling apart.  Took a set off, caught my breath, and slowed down focusing on form over speed.  Stuck it out, but it was brutal!

Keri- I'm glad to hear your knee felt better yesterday!  What did you do to it?  If you need any advice on strengthening/stretching, let me know- I am an athletic trainer, plus I have had my share of knee woes over the years. 

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Jenny

2012-01-05 8:56 AM
in reply to: #3972317

User image

Pro
Houston
Jennifers - 2012-01-05 8:24 AM

Good morning everyone!

I had a very rough morning today.  Woke up late, realized my husband had hit the snooze button on the alarm I set before I even heard it (I am a VERY sound sleeper!) and was running late to masters.  Once I got in the water, I really struggled with the workout today.  My arms were killing me, I was completely out of breath, and I could feel my form falling apart.  Took a set off, caught my breath, and slowed down focusing on form over speed.  Stuck it out, but it was brutal!

Keri- I'm glad to hear your knee felt better yesterday!  What did you do to it?  If you need any advice on strengthening/stretching, let me know- I am an athletic trainer, plus I have had my share of knee woes over the years. 

Hope you all have a wonderful day!

Jenny

Good for you even getting to masters!I pulled my 'spring' I was running and felt a twinge behind my left knee. Skipped the next run. The next time I ran I chose treadmill so I could stop if needed. 4 miles in the pain showed up so I shut it down. That was a Tuesday. I had a half marathon relay the following Sunday so I let it rest. Three steps into the 6.8 miles the pain was searing but I was in a relay so I toughed it out which was a mistake. Been to my ART guy twice to work it out and been taking time off my run. It does not bother me on the bike. I really wanted it healed before my Oly plan started. I ran about a week ago for a mile and it wasn't painful but the twinge was there. Last night was better. I could feel it at times but honestly I was thinking about it a lot while running. I was on a soft track last night so that may have helped. I also wore my Asics and left my new Lady Newtons at home and focused a lot on my form.I am currently looking for a local run coach that can run with me and help ith my gait/form.
2012-01-05 9:11 AM

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Jenny - now that is classic RFP - nice work! So you are a trainer - that is great - we have a very diverse group here and I love it.

Keri - sounds like you are doing all the right things to get better - I use Newtons as well - how do you like them?

KC

2012-01-05 9:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Mass.

Deb - I was in you neck of the woods during Christmas break.  My son had hockey camp in Andover.  Nice area.  Do you do that TRX thing at home?

Wnt for my first outside run of the year.  Not so good.  I felt the two weeks off I took.  Oh well.  Lots of time left to get better.

2012-01-05 9:47 AM

User image

Expert

Keri - That is great news about your knee.  Stay patient though and not push it....it is a long season.....

Jenny - Way to work through the swim workout.  Training you mind to push through it when you really are not feeling it or are tired is just as important as building your fitness.  RFP!!!

Scott - People are crazy if they think a cold pool is gonna stop the Iceman!  For the newer people to this group - you will find that you get exhausted just reading about Scott's consistent and rock solid workouts.  He is a machine.

Brian - This is a crazy fast thread.  But like David always says don't feel like you have to keep up daily.  If you miss a few days don't fell like you have to read 6 pages of posts -haha.  Nice family pic.

David - Am I am starting to think that the only thing normal about me is my blood now.  It is crazy how you when you tell people about the Iron distance they think your nuts but for us it seems "manageable".  3 years ago when I would meet someone at the gym who had completed an IM I was in awe and now when I talk to someone its like "what was your time?"  When does this stop?  Will I be doing an Ultra Ironman when I am 50?  Race around the world when I am 60? haha.

KC - As I mentioned before I retired from golf 6 years ago and now only use my golf bag to hold my sword (long story for another time).

Monique - Glad your are gonna stick with us.  You aren't a newbie - you have one race under your belt.  Plus you may feel like you don't have anything to offer as far advice or what not but it is people like you and Scott who provide so much inspiration for me.  

Brian (SkinnyArm) -That sounds like an awesome job.  That Chicago 1/2 Marathon is a good race.  As far as the HR training i find it interesting that you do most of your training in Zone 1.  Last year for the Illinois Marathon I followed a Sub-4 hour plan that had me doing my long runs at 11:30/mile pace yet my race pace was 9:00/mile.  I did do a bunch of tempo workouts with the longest being an 8 miler at race pace.  Needless to say I bonked really hard at mile 23.  I was totally on pace to go 3:55 until that point.  I have been thinking alot about the reasons and wonder if it was due to the fact that I had gotten the worst flu of my life 2 weeks before the race at start of my taper and actually lost 9 lbs. or if it was from not pushing myself a little harder on the long runs.  I guess I'll never know until I do another marathon?...

2012-01-05 10:11 AM
in reply to: #3972529

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Keith - at least you were out there my friend - hell, most people have already given up on the new years resolutions by now LOL. You are right, lots of time to ramp up.

kdevarenne - 2012-01-05 10:42 AM

Deb - I was in you neck of the woods during Christmas break.  My son had hockey camp in Andover.  Nice area.  Do you do that TRX thing at home?

Wnt for my first outside run of the year.  Not so good.  I felt the two weeks off I took.  Oh well.  Lots of time left to get better.

2012-01-05 10:17 AM
in reply to: #3972546

User image

Master
\Windsor, Ontario

Tim - that is the second time you have told me that the sword story is for another time - I am patiently waiting for it and very curious about what happened to those clubs of yours?Laughing

tmoran80 - 2012-01-05 10:47 AM

Keri - That is great news about your knee.  Stay patient though and not push it....it is a long season.....

Jenny - Way to work through the swim workout.  Training you mind to push through it when you really are not feeling it or are tired is just as important as building your fitness.  RFP!!!

Scott - People are crazy if they think a cold pool is gonna stop the Iceman!  For the newer people to this group - you will find that you get exhausted just reading about Scott's consistent and rock solid workouts.  He is a machine.

Brian - This is a crazy fast thread.  But like David always says don't feel like you have to keep up daily.  If you miss a few days don't fell like you have to read 6 pages of posts -haha.  Nice family pic.

David - Am I am starting to think that the only thing normal about me is my blood now.  It is crazy how you when you tell people about the Iron distance they think your nuts but for us it seems "manageable".  3 years ago when I would meet someone at the gym who had completed an IM I was in awe and now when I talk to someone its like "what was your time?"  When does this stop?  Will I be doing an Ultra Ironman when I am 50?  Race around the world when I am 60? haha.

KC - As I mentioned before I retired from golf 6 years ago and now only use my golf bag to hold my sword (long story for another time).

Monique - Glad your are gonna stick with us.  You aren't a newbie - you have one race under your belt.  Plus you may feel like you don't have anything to offer as far advice or what not but it is people like you and Scott who provide so much inspiration for me.  

Brian (SkinnyArm) -That sounds like an awesome job.  That Chicago 1/2 Marathon is a good race.  As far as the HR training i find it interesting that you do most of your training in Zone 1.  Last year for the Illinois Marathon I followed a Sub-4 hour plan that had me doing my long runs at 11:30/mile pace yet my race pace was 9:00/mile.  I did do a bunch of tempo workouts with the longest being an 8 miler at race pace.  Needless to say I bonked really hard at mile 23.  I was totally on pace to go 3:55 until that point.  I have been thinking alot about the reasons and wonder if it was due to the fact that I had gotten the worst flu of my life 2 weeks before the race at start of my taper and actually lost 9 lbs. or if it was from not pushing myself a little harder on the long runs.  I guess I'll never know until I do another marathon?...

2012-01-05 11:20 AM

User image

Jackson, MS

FINALLY.  Geez.  On call one night and I'm 7 pages behind.  I've been playing catch up for two days--got caught reading threads in the OR today.

So haven't run at all this week, trying to shake this virus before the 13.1 this Saturday...we will see how it goes.  Just looking to finish happy, no passing out or getting sick.  Fingers crossed.

Interviews all afternoon for our new interns for next year, which is totally boring/exhausting.  May try to get in a little run this afternoon to keep the legs loose.

Tim-- see, I told you not to worry!!!!

2012-01-05 1:47 PM
in reply to: #3972608

User image

Expert

When I was in college I would always come home from the bars and watch those stupid Home Shopping Network knife and sword guys with southern accents and like these crazy murderer looking knives and swords.  And they would have like 100 knives for like $49.99.  I always joked that I was gonna order them.  Well for my 30th birthday a bunch of old college friends bought me an actual sword.  The thing ways about 15 lbs. solid steel.  Seeing as that I had absolutley no use for a medieval sword in my life (at that time - or today), i decided to keep it in my golf bag and at golf outing and would wave it around and would leave it stuck in the green for groups behind me-haha. Surprised I never got arrested Surprised  Anyways now it just sits in my golf bag in my garage. 

kcgolf - 2012-01-05 10:17 AM

Tim - that is the second time you have told me that the sword story is for another time - I am patiently waiting for it and very curious about what happened to those clubs of yours?Laughing

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Razorxp & KCgolf RFP group! CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 43