BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2012-01-21 8:46 AM
in reply to: #3943430

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED

I would appreciate if you all stopped talking about the "s" word in general.  It has been a mild winter here, and I am so glad!  

As for what I was proud of this week-I PR'd "coldest run" on Monday.  It was only 26* but to a CA girl transplanted in CO, that felt very badass.  I also am back at school, and I have a lot of pressure to perform very well, because the program I am going for is GPA related, so every last minute of my day is all planned .  I have been sick (again-ugh) so not really doing any notable workouts, but I am back to running again today (outside again, but it's only 33....so no bragging rights

Have a great weekend everyone!  (Today is birthday party bonanza in my house, which could possibly result in a post-kids-in-bed beer for me tonight, phew!)

2012-01-23 7:52 AM

New user

How was everyone's weekend?

I managed to get my 16 km done but it was crazy. Friday night it started to rain on top of all the snow. When I woke up Saturday morning I looked outside and it seemed that the snow was cleared off the sidewalks. Well when I started my run it seems that most people never shoveled their driveways and the majority of my outside run was on ice. I decided to cut my run short at 8 km and then finish up on the treadmill for safety. Ugh!

2012-01-23 8:58 AM

User image

New user

I hope you all had a nice weekend. With all the snow and ice we've had the last few days, we lost power on Saturday morning and it didn't come back until yesterday afternoon. So we packed up the car, the family & the dog and stayed with a friend in the Portland area. With us staying at the friend's house, my husband and I actually got to run outside together for the first time in about 8-9 months. It was so nice to go out with him (of course, he's a MUCH faster runner than I am) and so far I had only 3 miles (longest run so far in my training plan) and I thought my husband was nuts wanting to run for an hour, but it's amazing how fast an hour goes by when you're out running with someone and not by yourself. Of course, since it is Portland, we did get rained on, but it was so nice to be outside and run a different course to change things up a bit. Just over 5 miles in 1 hour wasn't too shabby for me. My knees today did not like to get up and do the treadmill for 30 minutes, but luckily, I had laid all my clothes out last night so I didn't have the excuse of not getting on the treadmill and doing my workout. I'm going to try and do the gym today for a swim--they've been closed for several days with the snow and ice. Hope everyone had a nice weekend and stayed dry....

2012-01-23 10:44 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Sorry I've been MIA for a few days.  My husband had MAJOR issues with work this weekend so I was working overtime with the kids.  We did manage to sneak in an hour and a half icy run together while the kids were at a birthday party though.  Other than that, I barely saw him at all...  I may just throw his work phone and laptop into a full tub on "accident". 

What's planned for the rest of your week?

Tues- 1 hour run (hill work)/strength

Wed-Swim 2500 or so/ bike 35min

Thurs-Spin class with a transition run after

Fri - recovery jog as I wait for yoga to start...

That's the plan, anyway...  Let's see what life throws at me....

2012-01-23 10:59 PM

User image

New user

My plan for the rest of the week:

Tuesday - 30 minute bike

Wednesday - 30 minute run (in the am) and 30 minute swim (during my lunch break)

Thursday - 30 minute bike

Friday - off/rest day

Saturday - 3.5 mile run

Sunday - 40 minute bike ride...

Have a great week all!!!

2012-01-24 9:07 AM

New user

My plans for the week:

Tuesday - 30 min bike and 30 min weights

Wednesday - 30 min bike and 60 min run

Thursday - 30 min recovery run

Friday - Weights and 60 min run

I only have 2 more big weeks after this week and then my half marathon. EEK! I am starting to drag. It is hard waking up for my workouts this week. I am losing motivation. My goal is to head outside for a trail run tomorrow. Hopefully that boosts my motivation.

Have a good week!

2012-01-25 9:09 AM

New user

Ok, I admit it. I skipped my bike workout this morning. Is anyone else losing motivation right now? Is it the weather? Or maybe it is because my half marathon is getting close and my run workouts are getting long? What do you do to get your motivation back?

I started school at the beginning of January, I am studying, taking care of kids, trying to stay on top of the house cleaning. I feel like I went from having a lot of extra time to no extra time. So I can see why my motivation is taking a plunge but I really want it back. Help! It is too easy to sleep in in the morning and skip the workout.

2012-01-25 9:51 AM

User image

Expert
C-bus

It happens to the best of us.  I'm going through the same thing today.  I have a 45 minute bike planned.  I skipped it this morning, but I think I'll do it later tonight.  This way I can watch tv with my husband.  I have a hard time just sitting there watching tv.  I will listen, but my eyes are usually looking at a sewing pattern or a magazine. 

It's also common to lose motivation when the "end is near".  Your race is coming up and you're getting sick of planning for it, training for it.  You probably just want it to come to get on with your future training.  At least, that's what happens to me (if it's not a tri).  Once the weather changes and it's more enjoyable to get outside, you'll find a renewed sense of energy! 

2012-01-25 9:04 PM
in reply to: #4007749

New user

Fight for it exercisegirl6!  You are gonna rock your race!!
2012-01-27 3:29 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

It's the weekend!  It's fabulous Friday!  What was fabulous about your week? 

-I received a nice email from the head of Team UCP about my donation page in honor of my cousin. 

-My leg continually seems to be getting better

-I have a great mentor group!

Get out there and do a little exercising this weekend!

2012-01-27 5:10 PM

New user

Thanks for the boost gals.

I feel fabulous that I got all my workouts in this week despite lack of motivation and the weather. YAY!! Tomorrow I have an 18km run planned. I am hoping for decent weather.

Have a nice weekend!

2012-01-30 7:16 AM

Happy Monday Everyone!  I hope that you are all off to a great week.

Here is my prospective plan of action for the week.  We shall see how it goes!  I dod manage to get a 5 mile run in this morning despite the fact that is was quite snowy and slippery out.  

Monday - 5 mile run

Tuesday - 35 minutes on the trainer 

ab and arm exercises

Wednesday - 5 mile run

Thursday - 35 minutes on the trainer

ab and arm exercises

Friday - Swim

Saturday - trainer 

Sunday off

We shall see how is goes!  This is the plan anyways!  I hope that you all have a blessed week!  Happy training!

Erika

2012-01-30 4:48 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Looks like a solid plan, Erika!  It's always easier to have something written down then to make it up on the fly. 

Had yet another opportunity to run with my husband!  That's 3 weekends in a row!  We haven't seen so much of each other in a long time!

This is  a light week for me, and the last month before I begin my HM plan!  Finally, a race to look forward to!

I have a challenge for you all this month--especially if you haven't ever done a tri yet: 

Four times this month, do a brick workout (bike then run immediately after).  Since we're getting closer to tri season, it's a good idea to get used to that odd feeling in your legs.  It will seem like you're running on tree stumps.  But give it some time.  After a while (5 minutes or so) your running legs should come back to you.  Train your brain and your body to realize this feeling is normal.  It will help you immensely for your races.

Also, don't forget to document what you do in the training file on BT.  It's hard to encourage if your calendar is blank!  And also, if you haven't opened your training log to friends yet, please do so.  (It's even harder to encourage if I can't send you an "inspire"!)

Spring is coming!!! 

2012-01-31 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Alright girlies (and manly men)-

If you're bored with the treadmill and you are bored to death, intervals can sometimes spice it up.  (sometimes, there's just no hope.)  Here's an article with 4 ideas for a treadmill run. Enjoy!

2012-02-02 10:48 PM

User image

Expert
C-bus

Golly, you guys.  It's been a quiet week!  The weather here has been great for outdoor runs and biking.  Hope you're all doing well!

2012-02-03 4:37 PM

New user

My long run this weekend is 99 minutes - the longest run I have done since the 1/2 marathon I did 2 years ago.  Training this time has been so wonderful - injury free!  I'm on week #3 of Ult Loser - dropped 8.6 pounds in the first 2 weeks.  I think the biggest contributor to success is tracking everything I eat- as my exercise has really not increased that much.

My husband and I signed up for a St. Patrick's Day road race.....I'm in the 10K.  I am shooting for a 60 minute time.

I have never done an open water sprint, but wanted to sign up for a couple this year.  After doing some digging, there is a local triathlon group that does weekly practice swims in open water starting in April.  What a huge blessing!  The water in the south is not inviting - at all, like up north.  The jury is still out for me on open water swims.

Do you know at what point/ temperature I need a wetsuit?

Have a great weekend everyone!

2012-02-03 5:21 PM
in reply to: #4028456

User image

Expert
C-bus
kknickrehm - 2012-02-03 5:37 PM

My long run this weekend is 99 minutes - the longest run I have done since the 1/2 marathon I did 2 years ago.  Training this time has been so wonderful - injury free!  I'm on week #3 of Ult Loser - dropped 8.6 pounds in the first 2 weeks.  I think the biggest contributor to success is tracking everything I eat- as my exercise has really not increased that much.

My husband and I signed up for a St. Patrick's Day road race.....I'm in the 10K.  I am shooting for a 60 minute time.

I have never done an open water sprint, but wanted to sign up for a couple this year.  After doing some digging, there is a local triathlon group that does weekly practice swims in open water starting in April.  What a huge blessing!  The water in the south is not inviting - at all, like up north.  The jury is still out for me on open water swims.

Do you know at what point/ temperature I need a wetsuit?

Have a great weekend everyone!

Wow!  Congratulations!  Long runs, injury free, losing weight AND daring yourself to do something "scary"!!!  That's inspiring! It would be great to join that tri group.  Learning from others as you do it, and lots of practice in open water with other people.  That is sometimes the hardest thing--finding other people to swim with!  You go, girl!

It is a rule of thumb to use a wetsuit whenever you are allowed.  The temperature cut off for using a wetsuit is 78 degrees (which is pretty warm).  The RD will let you know if it's wetsuit legal or not.  Now, it's up to you to decide sleeved or sleeveless.  This is usually based on personal preference and location of races.  I'm in Ohio and race in the summer in shallow lakes--I have a sleeveless.  Those who race in San Fran have sleeves. 

Can't wait to hear more about your adventures!!!!

2012-02-04 10:38 AM
in reply to: #4028456

New user

Congrats on the weightless! that is awesome. And awesome work on the long run.

I am also new to OWS. It is going to be an exciting year.

For me - I am going into my last week of half marathon training. WAHOO!! The best part is today is a lovely sunny day. 20km in the sun sounds fantastic. I just hope race day is similar. I guess I just needed some sunshine to get my motivation back.

I have a bit of time but I am starting to think about what next. My 20 week olympic plan is starting mid-April so my plan is to take a week or 2 off after my half and then get back into the pool. How long do I have before I start losing serious run fitness? I have been having some slight pains in my foot and I think it needs a bit of a rest. My plan is to try to get in the pool 4-5 times a week for the first couple of weeks and maybe run just 1-2.

2012-02-06 10:35 AM
in reply to: #4029275

User image

Expert
C-bus
exercisegirl6 - 2012-02-04 11:38 AM

Congrats on the weightless! that is awesome. And awesome work on the long run.

I am also new to OWS. It is going to be an exciting year.

For me - I am going into my last week of half marathon training. WAHOO!! The best part is today is a lovely sunny day. 20km in the sun sounds fantastic. I just hope race day is similar. I guess I just needed some sunshine to get my motivation back.

I have a bit of time but I am starting to think about what next. My 20 week olympic plan is starting mid-April so my plan is to take a week or 2 off after my half and then get back into the pool. How long do I have before I start losing serious run fitness? I have been having some slight pains in my foot and I think it needs a bit of a rest. My plan is to try to get in the pool 4-5 times a week for the first couple of weeks and maybe run just 1-2.

Ah.  Race week.  The hardest week of them all.  Trying to rest when your body is trained to running all the time....  Excited for you!!!

So you have a good 6 weeks or so between plans or is it more like 10?  Resting your foot sound like a good idea.  Two weeks should be fine, but I would keep some runs in there at least 2 maybe 3 to keep your fitness up.  How is your biking and swimming endurance?  Instead of just waiting, I would start building on the swim and bike.  4-5 days in the pool seem like a lot, but it all depends on your abilities and what you need to work on...  I would suggest balancing it a little more.  Maybe 3 days in the pool, 2 biking (if possible) and a minimum of 2 running.  I know that's 7 days, but if you double up one day, that will give you a rest day in there as well. 

My HM plan doesn't start until the end of this month and my tri plan begins at the end of March, but I'm increasing my running now and maintaining my bike and run so I don't have such a build up and shock to the system then.  Just my 2 cents.  Hope it helps!

2012-02-06 4:10 PM

New user

Thanks for the input. It is giving me lots to think about. I am really excited about completing my half marathon and starting a new plan. I want to give myself a couple weeks of easy workouts. I do NOT, however want to do nothing. I know if I take even 1 whole week off it will be very hard to start again.

I do have about 6-8 weeks until my new plan begins but I am considering doing a sprint in May so I cannot slack off too much. I dont have a lot of skill on the bike or in the pool. My main goals are going to be getting back into swim shape and taking my bike outdoors.

It is going to be exciting trying to fit it all in. Ok, I must stay focused on my first goal. Getting through this half marathon

2012-02-06 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4032557

User image

Expert
C-bus
focus! focus! focus!

2012-02-08 10:34 AM

New user

The most recent change I have made these past 4 weeks is consitently adding in 3 strength training classes every week.  My run schedule has remained unchanged. 

I have never in my life entered a workout kicking and screaming (mentally) like I did this am.  My legs were killing me - but I wanted to stay on the plan.  So I did it - about 1/2 way through I was fine - overall a little bit slow, but I was able to complete it. (48 min run)

Should I have --- or should I have taken another day to rest?  I know rest days are so subjective.  I am still very aware of my hamstrings and legs are sore....not much difference then before the run. 

I have another strength class planned for tomorrow.

2012-02-08 11:08 AM
in reply to: #4035794

User image

Expert
C-bus

What does your schedule look like during the week?  Are your workouts mixed up appropriately, meaning no two workouts in a row the same?  If you had a strength workout today, I would advise against doing one again tomorrow.  Let your muscles recover from the strain.  That's how they get stronger. 

2012-02-08 1:33 PM
in reply to: #4035860

New user

Because my main goal is losing weight/ fat, I am doing 3 strength training classes (like TRX or conditioning) and on the alternate days, running.  I never do them both in the same day.  I can't remember my legs being so fatigued and sore. 

(my plan is working, though....dropped another 3.2 this week)

2012-02-09 1:11 AM

Rarotonga, The Cook Islands

Hi Robin, Here is the bio - I am a bit behind, so I'll spend tonight reading through the pages and then catch up...

NAME:  tradershez/  Robin Muskopf

STORY:

We live on a tropical island in the South Pacific, Rarotonga - Cook Islands

I am a stay at home mum. Our DD is 6 years old. When I was pregnant with her, I developed SOD (Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction) - which is a mobility problem with pain symptoms etc in the pelvis. Unfortunately I was one of the rare women who have it continue post birth. It took me about 10 months to re-learn how to walk. Years of visiting doctors/physios/muscularskeletal ppl/chiros/osteos...I have travelled to places abroad to get help. Nothing really helped except time. I still have problems currently but have recovered significantly enough to have started running for the first time in 10 years last year.

After my DD's birth I put on ALOT of weight. I am 5.4" and weighed about 75kgs!! With the weight came loads of health problems. God has dealt with me and my addictions - food and caffeine. Over 2 years now and I have eliminated caffeine and doing the best I can at the mo with food. 6 months ago I started to go for the odd run here and there. I lost a bit more weight and then the running got more regular and then 2 months ago I decided to give a sprint tri a go. They hold them weekly here where I live. Since then I have caught the bug.

It has been 6 weeks or so and I am LOVING the tri world! So long as my body doesn't break I wil keep going

FAMILY STATUS: Married to a a wonderful man, for 10 years. He is a real hero. We have DD who is 6 years old.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Training for a March 24th Women's Sprint Tri (400m swim/16km cycle and 4km run). I train: Mondays - *6am-7am *swim (1700m) *5pm-6:30pm - long run (7.5km's); Tues 5pm-6:15pm either track training or hill training - yesterday was 8kms hill training!!!; Wed *6am-7am* swim - lagoon swim...this morning was X4 300m fast with 30 secs break; Wed 5pm - cycle round the island 32km's; Thurs duathlon race/brick training - 2km run/8km cycle/1km run; Fri - rest day; Sat - tri race (sprint) - up to 600m swim/16 km cycle/4km run; Sunday 32km cycle round island.

2012 RACES: March 23rd Women's Tri (as above) and if I can do it I would LOVE to give it a go - International Tri (Olympic distance).

WEIGHTLOSS: I would like to get down to 58kgs. If under that well I would be soooo stoked! I am currently at 60.5kgs.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Robin's Family-friendly mentor group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 12