BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 14

2012-01-25 10:18 AM
in reply to: #4008135

User image

Pro
Wisconsin near the Twin Cities metro
Subject: RE: Birkierunner's group - CLOSED
melanfi - 2012-01-24 11:11 AM

That xc skiing sounds like an amazing workout, even if cold. I love watching it on television... but that's about as close as I've gotten to the sport.

Going out for the high school ski team is what got me involved in endurance sports in the mid-70s.  I started alpine skiing late in the game (7th grade?) compared to my team mates that started skiing before they could walk, so I only raced x-c skiing and did nordic jumping.  Someone would have a hard time convincing me that cross country ski races are not the fittest athletes in the world.  The sport demands a huge cardiovascular capacity and upper and lower body strength are essential.  You'll probably get into long discussions about what constitutes the "fittest athlete" but I'd put a World Cup cross country ski racer right up at the top.  It's a great sport....I also love to watch World Cup biathlon because things can change so quickly if a skier misses just one target on the shooting range and has to ski a penalty loop.

2012-01-25 10:42 AM
in reply to: #4010157

User image

Veteran

Birkierunner - 2012-01-25 11:18 AM [It's a great sport....I also love to watch World Cup biathlon because things can change so quickly if a skier misses just one target on the shooting range and has to ski a penalty loop.

We all love watching that sport, too! I'm a fan of Magdalene Neuner, not so well known on this side of the pond, but I bet you know her.

2012-01-25 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4008958

Issaquah, WA
NeverEnough - 2012-01-24 3:09 PM

melanfi.....i wouldnt feel like I got anything out of 14 minutes either!

Thanks for the info on Triglide.  Not sure I need it....but will read about it.

Alright, a few more questions.  The weather was great today, 60 and Sunny.  I was able to get my bike out for the second time....ever (remember I am new to this).  16 miles felt like nothing which was cool....way easier than the trainer.

1) Neck pain.  I only rode for an hour but the back of my neck started to ache a bit.  I stayed aero for as much of the ride as possible.  Am I weird....okay don't answer that.  I cant be the first person this has happened to....any advice?

2) Whenever cars would come up behind me and I tried to look behind me, the bike veered.  If I looked over my left shoulder....I would end up in the middle of the road.  If I looked over my right, I would be headed towards the curb/shoulder.  I am sure this gets better with practice......question is:  Is it dorky to use one of those rearview mirrors?  I have seen them on cyclists helmets before.  If you have any solution for my veering issue, I welcome comments.

3) Being in aero and looking up, I found myself going cross eyed and figured it was because of the nose piece of my Oakley Flak Jackets.  I am assuming why this is my buddy wears Oakley Radars....which does not have a nose piece that goes to the top of the frame.  Would assume this increases visibility.  Any thoughts?

4) Wore my Garmin and have the cadence sensor on my bike.  What the heck does this data tell me and what am I looking for or trying to do with it?

Thanks,

Mike

When I started running and cycling again I had a problem with my neck an shoulders being sore. I started doing a body check every 15 to 20 minutes on each run or ride. To do this start with your head and neck, make sure they are in the correct position and relaxed, then work your way down the rest of your body. Hope this helps.

Lisa

2012-01-26 12:25 PM
in reply to: #3943815

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Here goes my friends:  

This schedule is eating my lunch!!!!  But....have to make it work....some way, somehow...

If I am going to be anywhere near ready, something is going to have to change!!!  Tue/Thur is going to have to be crucial...someway, somehow, will have to work a solid workout in there....

So here is my sched:

MWF:  6 am spin..then on to the school day..7:30-5...Then it is on to Y shift 6-9...

Tue/Thu:  School day 7:00-5, then on to Y shift 6-9....

Needless to say, by the end of 9 pm...i am spent.  

Fri has grown to be rest day and Sat 'do' day....do this...do that...SUN i try not to touch....

Any and all input accepted

2012-01-26 5:12 PM
in reply to: #4012491

User image

Greenville, SC
CoachH - 2012-01-26 1:25 PM

Here goes my friends:  

This schedule is eating my lunch!!!!  But....have to make it work....some way, somehow...

If I am going to be anywhere near ready, something is going to have to change!!!  Tue/Thur is going to have to be crucial...someway, somehow, will have to work a solid workout in there....

So here is my sched:

MWF:  6 am spin..then on to the school day..7:30-5...Then it is on to Y shift 6-9...

Fri has grown to be rest day and Sat 'do' day....do this...do that...SUN i try not to touch....

Oh my....what I have learned is that dedicating yourself to any "hobby" requires support from your family.  I have been fortunate in this area with my wife's understanding of my golf habit for 20+ years.  I recently replaced that with Triathlon, and we discussed the end goal of me completing an Ironman.  She supports it and helps out a ton.  Not sure what your situation is like at home, but sharing your goals with a loved one might help.  I am sure that everyone that knows you admires your dedication.

And Ft Worth......lived in Dallas for 13 years.  Pappasitos....favorite restaurant on the planet!!

Edited by NeverEnough 2012-01-26 5:24 PM
2012-01-26 5:22 PM

User image

Greenville, SC

Pretty busy training week for me so far.  11 Mile run, 2 - 1 Mile pool swims, 6 Miles of Sprints which were painful, 1 hour outside on the bike in 60 degree Sunshine....my first "real ride", and a 22 mile run this morning (took some vacation time today to get that in).  I am tired.....in a good way.  Stretching and weights tomorrow, swim and bike on Saturday.  Drinks Saturday night and NOTHING on Sunday!!

My marathon training called for 4 20 Mile runs.  Did 20 on the first, 21 on the second, 22 on the third....and thats as far as I am going to push it.  I see a light at the end of the tunnel, a 15, 20, 13, and 10 long run left and then I can focus on swimming and riding more....which I cant wait to do!

My name is Mike and I'm and addict. Smile

2012-01-26 7:38 PM

User image

West Bend, WI
Does anyone have a favorite sports nutrition book or website they like to use?  I seriously need to do something about my eating.  I have two small kids and, recently have started to eat like a kid myself. If the book includes recipes, all the better.
2012-01-26 8:04 PM
in reply to: #4013317

User image

Veteran

JKreuzig - 2012-01-26 8:38 PM Does anyone have a favorite sports nutrition book or website they like to use?  I seriously need to do something about my eating.  I have two small kids and, recently have started to eat like a kid myself. If the book includes recipes, all the better.

That sounds like something I need, too. I'll be curious to see if anyone has a suggestion.

2012-01-27 12:59 AM
in reply to: #4013365

Issaquah, WA
melanfi - 2012-01-26 6:04 PM

JKreuzig - 2012-01-26 8:38 PM Does anyone have a favorite sports nutrition book or website they like to use?  I seriously need to do something about my eating.  I have two small kids and, recently have started to eat like a kid myself. If the book includes recipes, all the better.

That sounds like something I need, too. I'll be curious to see if anyone has a suggestion.

Here are some healthy eating tips that I follow. None of them are new or my own, just a few ways that I've been able to eat healthier.

Eat 35 different foods in a week. Remeber to eat a rainbow of foods. It's not really that dificult to do and good way to try foods that are new to you and your family.

Plan your weekly meals, snacks, and treats. Write it down so you can see what you'll be eating. Start with what you are now eating and revice the menu until you have a balance diet. Include raw fruits and/or vegetables in eavery meal. Two recipe sites I like are eatingwell.com and vegetariantimes.com. Beverages count as part of your diet.

Eat as little pre-packaged food as possible.

Portion control is important. Measure out the amount of a serving per the amount on the package or recipe. The amount you should be eating may surprise you. If a recipe makes more servings than we need to eat in one meal I put the extra aside before the meal is served. Most entrees and side dishes can be frozen and it's nice to have a healthy meal to pull from the freezer on a night you don't have time to cook.

Keep fresh fruit and vegetables available for snacks.

Have unhealthy dinner night once in a while. If it's the exception to the rule then I see it as ok. A favorite at our house is mac and cheese with bacon.

Keep a food journal.

Eat vegetarian at least one day per week.

Have your children help prepare the meals. It may take a bit longer and be messier but you'll be teaching the a vakuable skill.

Lisa

2012-01-27 8:15 AM

User image

Greenville, SC
If you are looking for meals/recipes.....Cooking For Life (part of the Body For Life program) has some great meals/ideas that my kids eat as well.
2012-01-27 9:35 AM

User image

Expert
I read Race Weight by Matt Fitzgerald and it has a lot of good points as well as recipes.

I think a lot of people think eatting and cooking healthy is difficult but it is actually quite easy. The less prep the better. Veggies are great for you and a great side/filler. I don't know what I would do without some of the steam fresh bags. Just toss it in the microwave and 5 mins later you are ready to go.

Add in a protein (big fan of chicken breasts, seasoned a number of ways) and you have a meal.

Also use the weekend to prep food. Cut up veggies an fruits, it saves a ton of time and is ready to go when u need a snack.

2012-01-27 10:16 AM

User image

Pro

Ski training has taken a hit this week because I'm helping my friend recover from ACL reconstructive surgery on Wed.  She tore it on the last run when we were alpine skiing New Year's Eve.  She goes in for her first rehab session this afternoon.  So different from the days back when they'd put you in a cast for 6 weeks after surgery.

I'm the worst person in the world to look to for nutrition advice.  Looks like there are some good suggestions above.  Nancy Clarke had one of the more popular sports nutrition books in the past as well. 

2012-01-27 1:48 PM

User image

Pro
What are the big goings-on this weekend???
2012-01-27 1:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Murrieta Calif.
Hey guys, sorry I have been bad about posting lately!! Crazy couple of weeks! Training is going well, but really need to pick it up to get ready for Oceanside. Planning on riding with Mitch this weekend, so should be good for a 50-60 miler!! I hope everyone's training is going great!
2012-01-27 3:55 PM
in reply to: #4014670

User image

Greenville, SC

Birkierunner - 2012-01-27 2:48 PM What are the big goings-on this weekend???

Rest....pushed it all week!! Probably a swim in the morning and then cold beer and sunshine outside!!  Just got back from a ride....had intentions of going an hour and a half and my body told me otherwise.  Realized my legs are more tired than I thought from the 22 mile run yesterday and I had not eaten.  

2012-01-27 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
Menomonee Falls, WI
Just getting over a bit of cold that I've had for a couple days.  So I took a few days off and am finally feeling better for the weekend.  Don't want to over do it this weekend but the plan is for a run on Saturday and a indoor bike/swim on Sunday.  We'll see how that goes.  As I look at my watch it is 5pm on Friday....another day, another dollar.  Have a good weekend everyone!

2012-01-27 5:09 PM

User image

Veteran

Mike, rest those legs up!

Jim, that's great that you are helping out your friend. What a drag to tear an ACL on the last run of the day. I am familiar with that surgery, as I just had it done in 2010 (replacement) and could basically start PT the Monday after surgery on Thursday.

That reminds me, does anyone here get Runner's World? There was a bonus issue that I just got today with a funny letter written from the perspective of a runner's knee. Anyone seen it?

Thanks for the tips on healthier eating. Good ideas.

Tomorrow morning: a 15k race out on Sullivan's Island put on by the local running club. I was hesitating to do it, but I need to get in a longer run anyway. I will probably structure the run like my last long training run, building in the 3:1 run/walk ratio during the second half of the run. Hopefully I won't be dead last, but looking at last year's times, I don't think so.

2012-01-27 8:53 PM

User image

West Bend, WI

Birkierunner - 2012-01-27 1:48 PM What are the big goings-on this weekend???

We'll be going to the Multisport Expo this weekend.  We've had a great time the last few years.  I'm looking forward to it this year because we will be taking my dad.  This year he will be completing his first triathlon at age 61.  I bought him swim lessons this year for Christmas, mostly so he wouldn't have the same excuse for not doing it as last year.  He's a strong guy but has never been into endurance sports, so we are happy he's enjoying a more healthy lifestyle.  We're hoping this keeps his motivation up.  Have a great weekend everyone.

2012-01-27 9:34 PM

Issaquah, WA

Birkierunner - 2012-01-27 11:48 AM What are the big goings-on this weekend???

I'm going xc-skiing with friends tomorrow and a run scheduled for Sunday.

Lisa

2012-01-28 9:46 AM
in reply to: #4013121

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX
NeverEnough - 2012-01-26 5:12 PM
CoachH - 2012-01-26 1:25 PM

Here goes my friends:  

So here is my sched:

Oh my....what I have learned is that dedicating yourself to any "hobby" requires support from your family.  I have been fortunate in this area with my wife's understanding of my golf habit for 20+ years.  I recently replaced that with Triathlon, and we discussed the end goal of me completing an Ironman.  She supports it and helps out a ton.  Not sure what your situation is like at home, but sharing your goals with a loved one might help.  I am sure that everyone that knows you admires your dedication.

And Ft Worth......lived in Dallas for 13 years.  Pappasitos....favorite restaurant on the planet!!

yeah..i have to be careful about all mexican food eating....love it!!!  Not so much that my situation at home is limiter,...gf is too a triathlete...so on weekends we tend to flip flop to be able to do some training with every now and then bike rides together...

for the most part, it is my work sched...just having a hard time to get in pool past 9 pm...once my track coaching is over, then i can do more from 4pm on.

2012-01-28 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Swim today, then my daughters 2nd birthday party.  Can't believe she's 2!  Tomorrow long ride with IronJim.  I really miss running.  It'll be 3 weeks tomorrow since I broke the foot.  It's getting much better but with 8 weeks till IM California I sure could use a long run!

2012-01-28 12:52 PM

User image

Veteran

Lisa, your suggestion with the 35 foods is interesting. I would say that I get that easily, but my kids definitely don't. It is something for me to work on. I do log my food on some app on my phone... Myfitnesspal, that's it, and it has been a great help to me in making clear how important portion size is! 

Jeff, those steamer bags are soooo convenient.

Marcelo, you do have a very tough schedule. Does your school time allow for any lunchtime running or anything like that? If not, I would think you would kind of have to do your workout in the morning on those days, too. I am not a fan of working out late in the day much less at night.

Mitch & Jim, enjoy your ride!

Jessica, how fantastic that your dad is getting into triathlon! Will you be there to cheer him on?

Mike, I hope you are outside enjoying the sunshine today! This weather is incredible. I took a look at the Cooking for Life book on Amazon, and it looks like it has some nice recipes. I might have to give that a try.

So, I did my 15k race this morning. I was feeling a little nervous about increasing my weekly mileage over the recommended percentage, because I have only been averaging about 10 - 12 miles a week. It isn't a jump really for my long run, though, so I decided to see it as a training run. I took it very easy for most of the first 10k, so I was pretty slow. Still, it was fun to be out there running and not feel like I was working too hard, just cruising, and still passing a good many people. I put more effort into the final 5k, and ended up finishing at 1:42. That's ok, I guess, although I suppose I would have preferred to get in under 1:40. Still, nice run and perfect weather.

Maybe I'll try to get a bike ride in tomorrow with my husband.

2012-01-29 8:50 AM
in reply to: #4016006

User image

Greenville, SC
melanfi - 2012-01-28 1:52 PM

So, I did my 15k race this morning. I was feeling a little nervous about increasing my weekly mileage over the recommended percentage, because I have only been averaging about 10 - 12 miles a week. It isn't a jump really for my long run, though, so I decided to see it as a training run. I took it very easy for most of the first 10k, so I was pretty slow. Still, it was fun to be out there running and not feel like I was working too hard, just cruising, and still passing a good many people. I put more effort into the final 5k, and ended up finishing at 1:42. That's ok, I guess, although I suppose I would have preferred to get in under 1:40. Still, nice run and perfect weather.

Congratulations on your race!  Yes...definitely enjoying this weather!!

2012-01-29 10:22 AM

User image

nice n easy the past couple days, 30 min spin at 86w and yesterday a 32 minute 4 mile run. today ill be on the bike an hour or so for a comfortable ride. taking this week to relax, get in the miles without too much stress.
2012-01-29 6:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fort Worth, TX

Finally...a good hilly workout...

2h 22m36.30 miles15.34 Mi/hr
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Birkierunner's group - CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 14