Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 9

2012-08-07 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4125768

User image

Regular
UNITED STATES
Subject: RE: Ken Nail's Group -- Closed
Just going to have to live with some pain, the back is strained and you can actually see the bulge in the muscle, i have to ice it after workouts and some ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and pain. I plan on reducing the intensity of the workouts.  

2012-08-08 3:03 PM

User image

New user

Injuries suck!!  The more we push it, especially after time off, the harder it is to ease back into a "good life."  Taking it easy is very important, but we should also take care of ourselves and stay healthily (aside from having fun, the other reason for what we do).

Been pushing hard the last few weeks and the next 1-2 weeks.  My goal, after starting at 225 lbs (at only 5'7"), was to complete a 1/2 Ironman (about 2yrs ago).  Just for the shock, and health reasons!!  Feel much better about myself, and the fun I'm having with family and friends.  It's coming close, and I have had so much fun coming to this point, keeping it up may be well worth the effort.

All of you seem to have come a long way since the beginning of the season, and I would love to hear experiences, lessons, and great accomplishments throughout this season.  What have we learned, and how can we can make this push to the end of the tri season better for all of us??  And keep going into future seasons to keep the fun up!!  Take Care, all, and enjoy the fun of training and the excitement of racing!!!

2012-08-08 3:03 PM

User image

New user

Injuries suck!!  The more we push it, especially after time off, the harder it is to ease back into a "good life."  Taking it easy is very important, but we should also take care of ourselves and stay healthily (aside from having fun, the other reason for what we do).

Been pushing hard the last few weeks and the next 1-2 weeks.  My goal, after starting at 225 lbs (at only 5'7"), was to complete a 1/2 Ironman (about 2yrs ago).  Just for the shock, and health reasons!!  Feel much better about myself, and the fun I'm having with family and friends.  It's coming close, and I have had so much fun coming to this point, keeping it up may be well worth the effort.

All of you seem to have come a long way since the beginning of the season, and I would love to hear experiences, lessons, and great accomplishments throughout this season.  What have we learned, and how can we can make this push to the end of the tri season better for all of us??  And keep going into future seasons to keep the fun up!!  Take Care, all, and enjoy the fun of training and the excitement of racing!!!

2012-08-09 11:25 AM
in reply to: #4352080

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
wrhall2 - 2012-08-07 7:30 PM

Just going to have to live with some pain, the back is strained and you can actually see the bulge in the muscle, i have to ice it after workouts and some ibuprofen to reduce the swelling and pain. I plan on reducing the intensity of the workouts.  

Take care and take your time. Pushing through injury doesn't usually pay off, so be careful!
2012-08-09 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4353505

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
richwampler - 2012-08-08 4:03 PM

Good questions. My biggest lesson from this summer has been the value of lower-intensity training. Since I've been training for IMWI, that's been a necessity, but the effort that's gone into building a stronger and wider base has paid off in lack of injuries and faster times at shorter distances, too.

Ken
2012-08-09 1:19 PM
in reply to: #4355075

User image

New user

Good questions. My biggest lesson from this summer has been the value of lower-intensity training. Since I've been training for IMWI, that's been a necessity, but the effort that's gone into building a stronger and wider base has paid off in lack of injuries and faster times at shorter distances, too. Ken

Ken,

I, too, have learned the same thing.  I came from a culture of push harder every day and you will get better.  After reading Hal Higdon (for running) and Joe Friel, I "heard" about work easier to improve.  Still didn't get it ... still pushed myself to the max (effort and time), almost every time.  Well, by the end of this season, I'm starting to vary the intensity, and cut back on the RPE.  Base mileage, and HR are greatly improving, and I can now go longer faster (even on the short ones, I have improved the pace).  Totally against intuition, but I agree with you, Ken .... a bit easier on the body is much better for overall performance.

How are you doing in preparation for your IM??  When will that be??  I have an Oly in about a week, and then a 1/2 IM (maybe) two weeks after that.  Good luck with all your efforts and I would really like to hear about your training plan and how it worked for you.

2012-08-14 3:16 PM
in reply to: #4355371

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
richwampler - 2012-08-09 2:19 PM

How are you doing in preparation for your IM??  When will that be??  I have an Oly in about a week, and then a 1/2 IM (maybe) two weeks after that.  Good luck with all your efforts and I would really like to hear about your training plan and how it worked for you.

I'm doing IM Wisconsin in less than 4 weeks. finally over the hump in training -- a sprint race for fun this weekend, then 3 weeks of taper.

IM prep has been very good, though taxing in terms of time, with the last two weeks at over 20(!) hours of training each. But the concentration on sane paces and HR zones got me through some long weeks and very hot weather in good shape. Stayed healthy and missed only a handful of workouts.

I'd refer you to my training plan, but it was put together by the coach I've worked with for the last few years, so there's no external link. Here's a sample peak week though (last week, actually):

Monday:
Easy yoga
1600 swim

Tuesday:
3000 swim
1:15 bike with short high-intensity intervals

Wednesday:
1:30 zone 1 bike
1:05 run with 2x20 min zone 2 tempo intervals

Thursday:
3000 swim
1:15 bike with 2x15 min zone 2 tempo intervals
40 min run off the bike

Friday:
1:00 easy bike

Saturday:
1500 straight swim (steady)
5:30 bike. Zone 1, last 90 min in zone 2
45 min run off the bike

Sunday:
(AM) 1:00 steady run (AM)
(PM) 2:00 zone 1 bike
(PM) 1:00 run off the bike

Good luck at the Oly and 1/2!

Ken
2012-08-20 10:24 AM

User image

Expert
Charlottesville, VA
Anybody have some news to report from the weekend? I was fortunate to have a nice race at the Luray Sprint Tri here in VA (2nd AG, 50-54). Not really a tune-up for IMWI (3 weeks away...), but a great chance just to go hard and have fun.

Anybody else?

Ken
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Ken Nail's Group -- Closed Rss Feed  

of 9