General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 24

2013-02-22 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4632734

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: RE: Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread

kimarch - 2013-02-22 6:08 AM Hmm, doesn't look as nice as some of the other rooms. However my sherpas will like the bar location. Thanks! I'm planning on going up to Madison a few times to ride the course. Does anyone know of any organized course rides?

I was also wondering about anyone knowing/having information about any planned rides.  I know I could print off the map of the course but, I would like to ride it first with others who have done it.  I guess if all else fails we can put togeather a ride this spring during a weekend.  They say there are always people out riding on it everyday.  There are four of us from here in Sterling, IL that are doing the race this year and two of them are veterens.  If anyone wants to set up a group ride for this spring PM me and maybe we can get something started.

2013-02-22 9:57 PM
in reply to: #4414876

The participants list was updated a few weeks ago, so if you need some motivation for a good week of training and you've yet to see your name on this list:

http://www.ironman.com/~/media/648601b6bf8745dd8e146e5db6b5287e/particpantlistfullwiscofeb.pdf

2013-02-23 12:54 PM
in reply to: #4632917

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
Bevie - 2013-02-22 8:28 AM

kimarch - 2013-02-22 6:08 AM Hmm, doesn't look as nice as some of the other rooms. However my sherpas will like the bar location. Thanks! I'm planning on going up to Madison a few times to ride the course. Does anyone know of any organized course rides?

I was also wondering about anyone knowing/having information about any planned rides.  I know I could print off the map of the course but, I would like to ride it first with others who have done it.  I guess if all else fails we can put togeather a ride this spring during a weekend.  They say there are always people out riding on it everyday.  There are four of us from here in Sterling, IL that are doing the race this year and two of them are veterens.  If anyone wants to set up a group ride for this spring PM me and maybe we can get something started.

Here is a link to a planned ride;

http://www.wisconsinbrickadventure.com

2013-02-23 4:18 PM
in reply to: #4634294

User image

Peachtree City
Looks Great, Thanks!
2013-02-25 9:23 PM

User image

A little motivation to get us through the last couple months of winter.

http://youtu.be/JQ0S2R3QxFg

2013-02-26 5:00 AM
in reply to: #4636980

User image

Veteran
Lakeville, Minnesota
maslowrun - 2013-02-25 9:23 PM

A little motivation to get us through the last couple months of winter.

http://youtu.be/JQ0S2R3QxFg

Fixed the link....

2013-02-26 1:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)

Is anyone doing the race on a road bike or are most using tri bikes?  My tri bike used to be great.  I felt so fast on it and used to buzz around and felt like a rockstar riding it..  But in Oct 2011 I had some herniated disks and eventually had them fused together (5-6-7) and now being in aero is just no fun.  I have a fitting scheduled on Sunday to try to figure something out.  I'm going to bring both my roadie and tri bike, as well as a copy of the x-ray.  Since the surgery, I've stuck to the road bike mainly because it's super-comfortable, but still have made myself ride the tri bike, but I hate it.  Lately, I've been spending more time on the tri bike (only on the trainer) and just can't stay in aero for more than a few minutes.  I love riding the road bike.  That's probably my answer right there..  It would be super-cool if there were a magical adjustment that would make the tri bike feel great again.  But I'm worried it's a lost cause..

I do recall seeing some road bikes out there last year, but I honestly wasn't around the bike course or transition and don't really recall what people tended to have..

//just talking out loud...

2013-02-26 1:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
I think I'm getting early-onset Taper Madness...  Is 28 weeks too early to start obsessing?  
2013-02-26 1:54 PM
in reply to: #4637737

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
julio26pt2 - 2013-02-26 1:20 PM

Is anyone doing the race on a road bike or are most using tri bikes?  My tri bike used to be great.  I felt so fast on it and used to buzz around and felt like a rockstar riding it..  But in Oct 2011 I had some herniated disks and eventually had them fused together (5-6-7) and now being in aero is just no fun.  I have a fitting scheduled on Sunday to try to figure something out.  I'm going to bring both my roadie and tri bike, as well as a copy of the x-ray.  Since the surgery, I've stuck to the road bike mainly because it's super-comfortable, but still have made myself ride the tri bike, but I hate it.  Lately, I've been spending more time on the tri bike (only on the trainer) and just can't stay in aero for more than a few minutes.  I love riding the road bike.  That's probably my answer right there..  It would be super-cool if there were a magical adjustment that would make the tri bike feel great again.  But I'm worried it's a lost cause..

I do recall seeing some road bikes out there last year, but I honestly wasn't around the bike course or transition and don't really recall what people tended to have..

I'm doing it on my road bike (it does have aerobars though). I think the course lends itself to either a road or Tri bike. Those that I have spoken to that have done it before said a road bike is fine. As a matter of fact, they told me to do it on a road bike. I will say though, I think it would be hard to do it on a road bike without aerobars (at least for me). I LOVE my aerobars, especially on longer rides, I compare them to a recliner vs. a kitchen chair, they are that comfy. It's also just nice to have another way to grip.
2013-02-26 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4637737

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
julio26pt2 - 2013-02-26 2:20 PM

I'd take a wait see approach. Get the bike fit on your tri bike and see how you feel with it. They may be able to get you to be more comfortable on it. If not you know you can always ride the road bike.

2013-02-26 4:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)
Thanks for the tips!  Yeah, I will know a lot more on Sunday..  I just need something to worry about.  Next week it'll be whether I have the right running shoes or something..    

2013-03-02 4:11 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

First post of March!?....Bump...

Only 6 months, 5 days, 14 hours, and 48 minutes till the cannon goes off for us! 

2013-03-08 2:08 AM

User image

Veteran

I have a question for those who have volunteered before. I am wanting to see about doing my shift in the water. Do I need to suppy my own kayak or cannoe or do they do that?

On the training front all is going well. I ended up entering another race in June that I was not planning on. This is put on by a friend who is a first time race director. Its a sprint distance and so far all of 55 people signed up. Should be a fun race to train through.

Hope all is going well with everyone else.

2013-03-08 6:53 AM
in reply to: #4651251

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Hubbie - 2013-03-08 2:08 AM

I have a question for those who have volunteered before. I am wanting to see about doing my shift in the water. Do I need to suppy my own kayak or cannoe or do they do that?

On the training front all is going well. I ended up entering another race in June that I was not planning on. This is put on by a friend who is a first time race director. Its a sprint distance and so far all of 55 people signed up. Should be a fun race to train through.

As far as I remember they want you to supply your' own Kayak.  I didn't see any canoes out there this last year and I doubt they want any out there since Kayaks are the new thing I believe.  I know in April if I remember right is when the volunteer website opens up for people to sign up.  I know certain areas fill up quick!  So if that is what you want to do I would have your' mouse hand ready to sign up.  In advance as well thanks for deciding to volunteer.  I did so this past race and had a blast!

2013-03-08 8:27 AM

User image

Veteran
Chicago (Old Town)

Hey MOO'ers!

Super-psyched over here!  Had a F.I.T.S fitting last weekend as I just couldn't seem to get comfortable on the bike.  Turns out my tri bike was like 2 sizes too small.  Who'd have thunk it?  I guess that's what I get for measuring myself and finding something on eBay a few years ago.  Lesson learned.

Anyway, I decided to get a new tri bike as I've pretty-much retired my roadie as a beater commuter bike.  Ended up with a Felt B12 and realized that a snowstorm is a pretty sweet time to buy a bike.  Who knew?  Right now they're upgrading the cranks, aerobars, cassette, bar tape, etc and a bunch of little things I pointed at with my magic wand, that I didn't particularly like about the bike as stock.  Going to pick her up and have the initial fitting on Saturday!  

3 weeks into the swim clinic and I'm sort of doubting whether it was a wise choice.  It's helping a little bit, but I think it's geared more towards the person who hasn't done much swimming before, not someone who just sucks at it but can go for days.  Going to work with MJ, who is a coach in the Chicago 'burbs and see if we can't get my swim form in better shape.

Getting more and more excited about the race as each day passes.  I hope this feeling pulls me through to the end!

Hope training is going well for everybody!!!  September will be here before we know it!!!  

2013-03-08 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4651251

User image

Veteran
Omaha, NE
Hubbie - 2013-03-08 2:08 AM

I volunteered last year on a kayak. I was coming in from out of town, but luckily have a cousin who lives in WI that was volunteering with me that took care of getting the kayaks. I remember when I signed up, there was one (maybe 2) times I was asked "do you have your own kayak?" So, it may be possible to not have one, but it certainly seemed like everyone had there own. I don't seem to remember canoes either, but when you sign up to be on the water, you sign up for a specific thing --kayak, boat, jetski, etc. There is also a special safety meeting & another one on the water that I found very helpful.

It was a blast though, & just a different perspective. I was lucky enough to be on the inside of the 1st turn buoy (was assigned there), which according to some of the other kayakers, was the best place to be. I was an early morning, but we were done early, & it was nice talking to & encouraging some of the last swimmers.

A couple of observations that might help participants...
--other than they were in front, it was hard to tell the difference between the pros & everyone else, clearly they are faster but you are not that different
--I was amazed at how many times I heard "sorry", "excuse me", etc. Yes, you might get bumped, hit, kicked, etc, but clearly it's not intentional. Most people are nice, & are just trying to swim, & feel bad if they make contact.
--take time to sight before/after you round the 1st buoy! It's hard, because the sun is coming up, but large groups were getting way off course, either practically turning around & going in the same direction they came (so ending up way inside the bouys) or going too wide (ending up way outside).
--if you hear a quiet, mumbly voice (especially if it sounds like "left" or "right")it's not the mermaids in the water, it might be someone yelling at you because your way off course. Don't forget to sight!
--very few don't make the cut off, of those there is a fair amount of time spent not swimming or they have other problems. One guy had a cramp the entire time, even before he got in. So even if you're slow (like me), if you put in the time in the water, you should make it.

2013-03-16 6:06 AM

Hey, fellow IMWI racers:

How is everyone's preparation going so far?  Curious to see what kind of training intensity people are doing at this stage.  I am swimming three to four mornings per week, biking (on the Kinetic) three days per week, and running three times.  Running is definitely my weakest due to a foot injury that is slowly recovering.

Looking forward to the big spring thaw in the next month!  Can't wait to get outside on the bike and start outdoor runs.  Conditions are rather dicey and icy right now.

2013-03-16 6:32 AM
in reply to: #4662181

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling

I have next week to go then I go into my Base 1 phase.  It would really help if the weather got warmer out!  I need to get out and do some riding outdoors.  Right now I run 3-4 times a week.  Swim 3 days a week and bike (hopefully 3 times)  Thats why I need the weather to get warmer so I can start getting my long rides in.  I can't sit on a trainer for more than 2 hours.  Many reasons for that but oh well.  Training will go better for me once the weather finally decides to turn for the better.  I think we were spoiled last year.  I remember it being close to 80 for several days in March 2012.

Keep at it folks!

2013-03-16 8:01 AM
in reply to: #4662195

User image

Regular
Bartlett, IL

Hi everyone.  Been a while since I've posted, but I've been following the thread.  Hope everyone's training is going well, whatever stage you're in.  I decided to join Endurance Nation back in October 2012 and I'm loving it.  I did a bike focus plan over the holidays then started the outseason the first of the year.  Currently in week 10 of 14.  The mantra is work works and work is speed entering the body.  So these last 2+ months have been all about getting stronger and hopefully faster through threshold and VO2 intervals on the bike & run.  I've also been going to a master's swim clinic two nights a week.  Fun stuff!  EN isn't for everyone - it's an intense group IMO and easy for a IM newbie to get overwhelmed (me), but there are lots of very smart IM athletes in da haus and lots to learn.  Anyway, if you’ve ever been interested in checking EN out, PM me – the only way to get in that I know of right now is through the referral program. 

As a sample, my run this morning was 2x1mi @ threshold (5 min recovery) + 2x1/2mi (3 min recovery).  I did a 2mi WU then followed the intervals with 4 miles at somewhere between marathon and EZ pace.  I ran outside, but it was cold and into the wind on the way back.  Definitely ready for warmer weather!  Happy training weekend everyone!

2013-03-16 9:05 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

It's great to see everybody working hard and it's only March. I know we have like 176 days but September is going to be here before we know it.

On the training front for me I am just about to finish up week 15 of Jorge's winter cycling program. I have one more day and then next week which is the final week of the program. I started in November and am almost done. I think all the interval work has significantly improved my biking. I can't wait for it to warm up so I can start riding outdoors.

As far as the swimming goes I have been at it 2 to 3 times a week although my pool is closed for two weeks so no swimming last week and this coming week which sucks but better now than later on. As far as running goes I am back to running 4 days a week and am slowly ramping up the mileage. I had great week last week I think I got in about 12 and half hours of training in. This week has been a recovery week for me but I will ramping back up this coming week.

I hope everybody's training is going well. Train hard and be safe.

2013-03-21 8:17 PM

User image

Veteran

Good evening everyone!!

Took my bike out a few days ago for my first road ride of the year. Man it was great to get out!!! My winter of intervals on the trainer and using Spinervals to guide me gave me vast improvements. I noticed how much easier my old routes where and how I can now just spin comfortably at a higher cadence than before.

Of course riding out in 37 degree weather with a stiff wind was not the best of ideas in hind site. I've spent the last four days sick, sleeping almost 16 hours a day with almost no energy. Well that's what I get for jumping the gun on Mother Nature. Hope to get back into the groove of things next week.

Sounds like everyone's training is coming along nicely. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone soon!

Edited by Hubbie 2013-03-21 8:18 PM

2013-03-25 7:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Northern Illinois
24 Week Plan starts today!! I could really do without this snow and ice though!! I have been looking forward to getting out of my basement and off that trainer all winter.
2013-03-25 11:40 AM
in reply to: #4673017

User image

Master
From the looks of it you only have another week and a half of the cold stuff.
2013-03-26 6:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Did my first outdoor ride yesterday people.  It was a tad cold!  17mph+ winds out of the NNW and 32 degree's.  Went on the local group ride and did 23 miles.  Really the only thing that got cold on me for the most part was my toes.  It took them close to 30 minutes in the warmth of home to actually start feeling normal again.   I think this morning I'll be stopping by the lbs to get a pair of shoe warmers for my ride later today.  Otherwise it felt great to get out and put some miles in. 
2013-03-26 7:44 AM

User image

East Dubuque
I am pretty excited for this "warm"  weather this weekend low 50's  I have not gotten the bike outside yet so looking forward to Saturday.  Any advice what I should wear in the 50's when cycling?  I have never gone out unless it was 60's, and that has to change.  But the good news is I feel Spring coming!  I hope everyone's training is going good, I am LOVING it
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Wisconsin : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 24