BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-01-15 2:32 PM
in reply to: #4575004

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train!
Threejs - 2013-01-12 11:23 AM

It's a beautiful day for a workout! 

On tap:

Aerobic - Find my green and yellow pom poms

Strength training - unload cases of beer while wearing my cheesehead

Eating Plan:  Make healthy brats (haha just kidding!)

GO PACKERS!!

That is hilarious!

2013-01-15 2:38 PM
in reply to: #4579657

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Lovey - 2013-01-15 1:19 PM My girlfriend and my husband cancelled on me this morning but I still went to the gym and got my spin on. I am glad I didn't yield to the temptation of the warm bed! My 2013 motto: Tri-Healthy: "Swim - Spin - Elliptical" train my way to a healthier me.

Way to go!  It's SOOO tempting to stay snuggled in bed, especially when your training partners bail on you, but doesn't it feel good to know you resisted that temptation and because of that are energized for the day. Good for you and LOVE your motto!

2013-01-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: #4545748

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
My goal for this week is to get over this cold or whatever it is. I hope to do ONE thing each day to help with my upcoming move. For example, sell this damn furniture. I don't want to pay to store it.

Today I deposited a check withe my iPad. That was pretty cool. I'm sure I couldn't walk 5 blocks to the bank without passing out. blech
2013-01-15 2:43 PM
in reply to: #4579786

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area
stephsprint - 2013-01-15 2:26 PM
suzimmer - 2013-01-15 9:50 AM

Well, went to the doc and yes, I have THE FLU.  He did give me script for Tamiflu, which is an antiviral. Supposed to cut the severity of symptoms and duration. Still have a fever this morning. UG.  

Funny you should say that... I drove home from Orlando yesterday... had been sneezing... and by yesterday afternoon I was DOWN. I am sweating, chills, my whole body aches (in addition to the half marathon soreness) I hope we both feel better soon. Disney may be magical, but it's a giant petri-dish for germs.

Bummer Steph!  Rest up. This flu is the worst. Even my teeth hurt. I guess if I have to find an upside, I can go on-line during the day, at least when I'm not sleeping.Smile Hard to believe on Sat I ran 12 miles and today just standing up is a chore. Sorry to be whining. 

2013-01-15 3:41 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Whining? No problem. I feel so bad I get a little weepy now and then. Pathetic I know!

Now that the people upstairs are done drilling, maybe I can sleep without ear plugs. When will I go for a run again? Wow, no idea.
2013-01-15 4:44 PM

User image

Yardville, NJ
Sounds like sickness is hitting all over. I've been home from work the last 2 days sick as well. I'm starting to feel better, so tomorrow morning my butt is back in the pool. Everything I've read tells me to start with my next scheduled workout, don't try to make up or double up on workout. Thoughts?

2013-01-16 8:45 AM
in reply to: #4580038

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

Mfechter67 - 2013-01-15 5:44 PM Sounds like sickness is hitting all over. I've been home from work the last 2 days sick as well. I'm starting to feel better, so tomorrow morning my butt is back in the pool. Everything I've read tells me to start with my next scheduled workout, don't try to make up or double up on workout. Thoughts?

You can either start with the next scheduled work out or pick up where you left off, but do not double up in hopes of making up for lost time.   Two days isn't enough time to start loosing fitness. 

2013-01-16 8:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Medford Lakes, NJ

So, I missed my around the world work out last night.  I fell asleep on the couch before I remembered I needed to do it. Oh well,  I will try again on Thursday.  This time maybe a little more effort on my part.   

This morning didn't go according to plan either.  I was about 10 minutes into my spin work out when someone walked by and tripped over the plug that powers my bike.  Of course it was hit hard enough that it lost all power.  No big deal, I just plugged it back in and started over.  About 10 minutes into the spin workout and the computer crashed... The equivalent of the BSOD if a computerized spin bike has one. I took it as a sign from above that today I was not meant to spin and moved on to my strength routine.  At least I got that done. 

Happy Wednesday

2013-01-16 11:30 AM
in reply to: #4580779

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
otisbrown - 2013-01-16 9:51 AM

So, I missed my around the world work out last night.  I fell asleep on the couch before I remembered I needed to do it. Oh well,  I will try again on Thursday.  This time maybe a little more effort on my part.   

This morning didn't go according to plan either.  I was about 10 minutes into my spin work out when someone walked by and tripped over the plug that powers my bike.  Of course it was hit hard enough that it lost all power.  No big deal, I just plugged it back in and started over.  About 10 minutes into the spin workout and the computer crashed... The equivalent of the BSOD if a computerized spin bike has one. I took it as a sign from above that today I was not meant to spin and moved on to my strength routine.  At least I got that done. 

Happy Wednesday

Good grief! Enough already!
2013-01-16 11:39 AM

New user

Tulsa
Lovey - 2013-01-15 1:19 PMMy girlfriend and my husband cancelled on me this morning but I still went to the gym and got my spin on. I am glad I didn't yield to the temptation of the warm bed!My 2013 motto:Tri-Healthy: "Swim - Spin - Elliptical" train my way to a healthier me.
Love, love, love the motto! What a healthy attitude.
2013-01-16 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4579818

Happy Wednesday. I hope everyone is on the road to recovery!

2013-01-16 11:44 AM

That is a great motto!
2013-01-16 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
ING Miami is 11 days away. It's not looking good for me.

Next race out is March 23/24, Olympic Tri in Ocala, FL.

Time is really flying by.
2013-01-17 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Getting ready for the Lance interview.
2013-01-17 8:41 PM
in reply to: #4583569

Veteran
stephsprint - 2013-01-17 6:02 PMGetting ready for the Lance interview.
Reading live online commentary as the interview progresses. have to wait 2 more hours to see it here.
2013-01-18 3:32 PM
in reply to: #4583628

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Threejs - 2013-01-17 9:41 PM

Reading live online commentary as the interview progresses. have to wait 2 more hours to see it here.

Well, I wish he seemed a bit more sorry for what he's done...to his family, friends, the Sport. There's another hour tonight. Maybe he can manufacture a tear for us.

2013-01-18 3:40 PM

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
So since I came down with this Monday afternoon, I've gone through 5 boxes of kleenex and lost 6 pounds! Geesh!

I hope everyone is doing well with their goals this week. Anybody have questions about anything? any little curiosities? We can talk everything from chafing to hair care on here. No limits!!

I can't wait to get back in the pool. I can't believe a ran a half marathon a week ago. Right now I worry about getting back from the mailbox still upright.
2013-01-18 3:58 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Happy Friday Afternoon!

Hey Steph, hang in there. 

For me, I went back to work on Thursday. This Tamiflu stuff must work to some degree.  I feel WAY better, although I am still  a bit tired and stuffy.  But get this, I have now lost my voice. What the ?!?!? All I can manage is a squeak. Kind of hard to be a teacher without a voice. Thankfully, I do not have students on Friday. We have this day for assessments and meetings. Had to pawn off my assessment this morning  to another teacher, but the upside is I got a ton of paperwork done, cleaned the top of my desk...a good day.

So what are everyone's weekend training plans?

I'm itching to get back to the club, or go for a run, but I think I may need another day. Plus I don't think I would be well received at the club with this voice or cough.  The weather is supposed to be mild tomorrow (for January in Chicago standards) with temps around 40. So maybe an easy run with the pooch. Will see.

Susie

2013-01-18 8:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Baltimore Area
Glad to know you are getting better Susie.

I haven't worked out since Tuesday. Wed was a forced rest day because my body was screaming tired. Thursday I overslept so I brought my workout clothes to work but ended up working late instead. Today I woke up to radiating back pain I could barely move. I rested and stretch until noon when the pain subsided before heading to work.

Tomorrow, I am heading to my 6am swim. I have been on a good streak so I don't want to lose momentum.

I have 2 questions/issues-

Questions/issues 1:
Has anyone ever done any of the BT Cycling programs? Another BT member suggest we start the program together. I was looking at the BT Beginner Cycling. I have a lot of weight to lose (50lbs) and cycling is a great tool for weight loss as well as my ankle. I love spin class but can't always fit it in my schedule. I have a trainer at home I can set up but i can't just get on and ride without some type of plan. Any thoughts?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Questions/issues 2:
My swim coach told me I have a lot of "drag" and I needed a tighter bathing suit because I was out there. She was trying to say it nicely, poor thing. I have a big chest (42DDD) and she was trying to say that particulary area was causing drag and she could see it. She recommended me going online and get one after I measure myself. any thoughts on swim suits?
I really didn't want a new swimsuit as I think this one isn't done. So an alternative would be to wear a sports bra for support under my current one.

2013-01-19 4:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Lafayette, IN

Weekend Goals:

I am going for my long run today.  Woohoo, it's 38 degrees right now in Indiana.  That's shorts weather.  No pants today for the run. 

Tomorrow is a swimming day. 

As long as you ask if anyone has any questions.  What does everyone think about swimming 100 yard repeats vs swimming for endurance.  Since I am not a good swimmer, I wonder if it's more important to swim for distance or swim for speed.  I know both are good but what is more important for a slow swimmer. 

2013-01-19 10:09 AM
in reply to: #4585723

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
jslacker - 2013-01-19 5:51 AM

Weekend Goals:

I am going for my long run today.  Woohoo, it's 38 degrees right now in Indiana.  That's shorts weather.  No pants today for the run. 

Tomorrow is a swimming day. 

As long as you ask if anyone has any questions.  What does everyone think about swimming 100 yard repeats vs swimming for endurance.  Since I am not a good swimmer, I wonder if it's more important to swim for distance or swim for speed.  I know both are good but what is more important for a slow swimmer. 

Running with no pants! Good job!

I just had this conversation with a swim coach and former competitive swimmer. For speed... you work on technique. You do more shorter distances working on your technique.... drills and sprints and drills... perfect form.

But the thing that helps most overall is SWIMS PER WEEK. 4 or 5 swims a week of 30 mins continuously. You can drill and or swim, but just take fewer or shorter breaks. For most people that is fairly unrealistic, so she said 3 x a week minimum... just don't stop unless you have to, and then just until you catch your breath.

2013-01-19 10:29 AM
in reply to: #4585531

User image

Master
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Lovey - 2013-01-18 9:59 PM
Glad to know you are getting better Susie.

I haven't worked out since Tuesday. Wed was a forced rest day because my body was screaming tired. Thursday I overslept so I brought my workout clothes to work but ended up working late instead. Today I woke up to radiating back pain I could barely move. I rested and stretch until noon when the pain subsided before heading to work.

Tomorrow, I am heading to my 6am swim. I have been on a good streak so I don't want to lose momentum.

I have 2 questions/issues-

Questions/issues 1:
Has anyone ever done any of the BT Cycling programs? Another BT member suggest we start the program together. I was looking at the BT Beginner Cycling. I have a lot of weight to lose (50lbs) and cycling is a great tool for weight loss as well as my ankle. I love spin class but can't always fit it in my schedule. I have a trainer at home I can set up but i can't just get on and ride without some type of plan. Any thoughts?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=...

Questions/issues 2:
My swim coach told me I have a lot of "drag" and I needed a tighter bathing suit because I was out there. She was trying to say it nicely, poor thing. I have a big chest (42DDD) and she was trying to say that particulary area was causing drag and she could see it. She recommended me going online and get one after I measure myself. any thoughts on swim suits?
I really didn't want a new swimsuit as I think this one isn't done. So an alternative would be to wear a sports bra for support under my current one.

Good that you listen to your body. You know you.

I have never done a cycling program, always a combo. BUT give one a try. Have your trainer handy when you can't get into spin class. Miles and effort etc don't translate exactly, but it doesn't really matter. Getting into ANY saddle on a schedule is a good thing. Let us know how it goes.

Yeah. Boobs. Mine aren't huge, but they can cause some drag. I have a friend who wears a swim skin. It's long sleeved etc and she really likes it, makes her more stream lined. There are lots of companies that make suits for large busted women. Good luck finding something that works. I would think a sports bra would be uncomfortable, but then again, that's exactly what I have to do in a race, so there you go.
2013-01-19 3:01 PM

User image

Expert
Illinois _ Chicago area

Lovey, I too am not very familiar with the cycling programs. But anything that gets you motivated to get on the bike...go for it.

Swim suits....Many women wear suits that are too big. They seem fine when you try them on at the store, but are forgetting that they will get bigger in the water, by as much as 25% a guy at the swim shop told me. A suit should actually feel a bit too tight when dry. That could be part of the problem. I know some women at the club who are larger on top and wear two suits. If you wear a bra top under, make sure it's a tri top so that it will not absorb so much water.  And you might want to go to a swim shop and try on different brands as they do fit differently and maybe the staff might have recommendations.  Perhaps look for a suit that is cut higher in the front. Or as Steph mentioned, a skin suit top. Rash Guard makes a short and long sleeve shirt for swimming. I actually wear the short sleeve version but for extra core warmth in the &#@$ing cold pool at the club. (probably just a placebo, but it gets me in the water).  Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do.

2013-01-19 5:08 PM
in reply to: #4585220

Hope you are feeling better.

I had a good morning. I ran 6 miles with my trail running group followed by a 14 mile bike ride. It was my first time clipping in and out and I was really nervous. I fell twice but then I seemed to get the hang of it. Hopefully it will get easier.

Have a great weekend!

2013-01-19 5:19 PM
in reply to: #4585204

Veteran

stephsprint - 2013-01-18 1:32 PM
Threejs - 2013-01-17 9:41 PM
Well, I wish he seemed a bit more sorry for what he's done...to his family, friends, the Sport. There's another hour tonight. Maybe he can manufacture a tear for us.

Watched the second part just to see how he ended the interview - and fell asleep - darn! 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Suz and Steph - We are FULL... and off to train! Rss Feed  

of 16