BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - Re-Opened Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 16

2013-02-16 8:22 AM
in reply to: #4624635

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - CLOSED

MuscleMomma - 2013-02-15 10:10 PM So sorry Kim. It seems when one thing happens it just starts to cascade. My mom broke her hip and while she had lived on her own before that, it became one thing after another and I lost her shortly after. Fortunately I was able to fly down to be with her and got to apologize for all the years I was a lousy daughter and told her I forgave her for all her mistakes. Even though I was 51, it was not easy to lose her. ((((((hugs)))))) Mitzi

Thanks, Mitzi.  Mom and I don't have much of a mother/daughter relationship.  She still sees me as her innocent 17 year old that lives at home.  Having said that, it's tough to see her go through this, especially since she's about 10 hours away.  And her M.O. is to say that everything is going to be fine and then ignore it.  Somehow we've got to get it through her head that she can't ignore this.

2013-02-16 8:28 AM
in reply to: #4553821

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Subject: RE: TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - CLOSED

First spin class is over.  I got there and all of the bikes were already taken so I had to get one out of the closet.   The instructor showed me how to position the seat and then I got on.  I was spinning for no more than 5 seconds when the entire left pedal came off.  I mean the entire pedal along with the iron rod it was attached to.  I wanted to run out of class, but I managed to keep it together.

First off, why must spin cycle seats be so very uncomfortable?  I adjusted and readjusted but couldn't find a comfortable spot.  For as fluffy as I am everywhere else, my bootie is all bone.  I chose not to do any of the climbs, but I didn't stop spinning for 45 minutes.  I had to back off at the end because I felt a Biggest Loser 'tossing your cookies' moment approaching and that wasn't the impression I was going for.

Second, my wrists and hands are killing me.  The seat was so uncomfortable that I couldn't hardly sit up to give my wrists a break.  I thought that next time I might bring some biking gloves, but didn't see anyone else wearing them and I don't want to be the nerdy kid in class. 

At one point, I had a little bit of a breakdown/breakthrough.  I started thinking about my mom and how she's allowed her health to decline over the years and realized that I have learned my sedentary ways from her.  I want more than anything to be healthy on the inside regardless of what I look like on the outside.

I will be going back next week, but I'm not sure if spinning is something I will ever love.

2013-02-16 12:40 PM

User image

Regular
Had a good workout today, not as good as I was hoping for.  My first race is March 17th at the place I normally workout.  So I did a pre race.  400yd swim, 12.4 mile bike and 3.1 mile run.  I did the 400 in 6:15, the bike in 37:23 and the run in 22:05.  Which would equate to a 1:05:43 then add about 4 minutes for transition time and a 1:09:43.  My goal for the race is to break 1:05.  Today was pretty cold, obviously the swim was inside, but the bike and run it was 43 degrees.  I know you guys up north think that is warm, but not for Texas.  Still got a month to go.  We'll see what happens.
2013-02-16 12:52 PM

User image

Regular
Almost had a crazy incident on my ride this morning.  As I was cruzin along around 22MPH out in the country on a very wide road.  One of the nice things in Texas is most of the country roads have 10 feet of space to right of the line, which makes it very nice for riding.  So as I was going along, a police officer decided to chase down a speeder.  He decided to turn the siren on right when he as behind me.  Of course you are startled and jerk around on the bike and I just about went off the side into the ditch and had a pretty big wipe out.  Praise God I was able to keep control.  After analyzing the situation there was no reason for him to turn on the siren at that point.  The guy he was going after was over a half mile in front of him and couldn't have heard the siren's anyway.  It was all I could do to keep my mouth shut when I road by him while he was giving the ticket out.  I'm still inclined to call the town Mayor and let him know that for safety reasons his police officers shouldn't do that.  But that's small town Texas cops saving the world from speeders.  At least nothing came of it, just a scare.  
2013-02-17 2:57 PM

User image

Regular
Beautiful day here in Texas, 65 degrees.  Of course this time of year we always have winds, so the 18mph cross winds were really fun on the bike.  I got 16 miles in at a 20mph pace and then 4 miles of running at a 7:45 pace.  So good Sunday afternoon work out.  
2013-02-17 11:29 PM
in reply to: #4624474

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
mharvey642 - 2013-02-15 7:48 PM

Muscle Momma, I understand about the weight and the binge eating I do the same thing.  Unless I'm accountable to a group on my eating plan I tend to cheat quite a bit.  I haven't lost any weight either this year and I was hoping to be down under 200 by now.  Maybe we should get an eating accountability group together?  Would anyone join me in that?

I would love any support I could get/give around food issues. Do you know how something like that would work?

Sorry about the police officers siren - doesn't sound like an accident to me. Maybe he's old and fat and you pissed him off by reminding him what he should be doing.

2013-02-17 11:41 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Noticed how whiny I've become. It's getting me back into the "I want to get out there and push the the pain" mode. I've paid up for a sprint and an oly and I'd hate to see the money wasted - if I can't pull it together.

One last pity party for myself - back in the 70's I used to be the only girl in the weight room. Through the 80's I was actually told that the weight room in a gym was for men only and that I'd have to go to the ladies room where they had stationary bikes and 3lb. weights.
I was always proud of how strong I was for a 5'1" woman and loved lifting.
Now I feel jealous when I see all the young, healthy, strong women taking themselves seriously and lifting some nice weights.
I mind because what I see in the mirror is a fat, middle aged woman who doesn't look like she could do a serious workout. I feel embarrassed and it reminds me how I can't assume I know someone by their appearance.

At 53 I think I have written off other middle aged folks as boring or too mainstream. I need to remind myself that that 65 year old woman who I'd overlooked could have been dropping acid at Woodstock and be an amazingly interesting person.

Have to believe I can get in shape again and be a triathlete - a good middle of the packer that my kids can be proud of!

Mitzi

2013-02-18 2:25 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

Hi guys, lots going on here, 

First thing, and most importantly;

Kim, Really sorry to hear that news about your mum. Stay strong, use your workouts as a mental release... i find a nice peaceful run or ride is very good for your soul. There can be something quite zen about it. And most of all, I can only hope that her treatment goes well... We're all thinking of you. 

Moving on... 

Muscle momma, I know exactly where you're coming from with weightloss frustrations. I've been up and down constantly over the last few years. I lost a lot, but been unable to make that final push to get lean and mean. But I'm not sure about this 'juice plan' you're talking about... I presume it means having juice instead of meals? Everything I've read (and my own experience) tells me that going on crash/shock diets like this may work in the short term, but almost always ends in a food binge, and putting the weight back on... Which is exactly what you're describing. 

Surely the best way is to eat real food, jut better (and/or less). It needs to be a lifestyle change (this is the part I keep missing) Not a crash diet to make a permanent improvement. 

If it helps last year I was using the MyfitnessPal app to track my eating, and dropped about 20lbs eating normal food (sandwiches, salads, pasta etc.), just using the App to make sure I didn't eat too much of it (over xmas I let myself go a bit and unfortunately put some back on) I'm now trying to get back on the wagon, and get back down to fighting weight. 

I'm also keen for a bit of an accountability group with you and mharvey (and anyone else who wants to lose) Accountability like that can help me make the right choice when you're tired and don't really want to cook something for dinner... 

I've had a good few days training, Fist decent long ride since the HIM on saturday, about 2:20 or so, I faded a bit inthe 2nd half, but that's expected after a few weeks of no long rides I think. I have no doubt the fitness will be back soon enough. Sunday I had another ride with a friend of mine who's planning on doing his first sprint at the end of summer. He's a bit slower than me, so it was more of a  recovery pace, but still time in the saddle. Followed that ride up with a good 15 minute brick run. 

So after 1 week, and 150km, I'm very much liking the new bike!

Bad news is my sprint tri planned for this weekend is going to be a DNS for me. It looks like I'm going to have to work this weekend instead, which is a bit of a bummer... 

2013-02-18 3:12 PM
in reply to: #4626283

User image

Regular

MuscleMomma - 2013-02-17 11:29 PM
mharvey642 - 2013-02-15 7:48 PM Muscle Momma, I understand about the weight and the binge eating I do the same thing.  Unless I'm accountable to a group on my eating plan I tend to cheat quite a bit.  I haven't lost any weight either this year and I was hoping to be down under 200 by now.  Maybe we should get an eating accountability group together?  Would anyone join me in that?
I would love any support I could get/give around food issues. Do you know how something like that would work? Sorry about the police officers siren - doesn't sound like an accident to me. Maybe he's old and fat and you pissed him off by reminding him what he should be doing.

When I lost my 80 lbs 6 years ago, still have 70lbs off, I used the Nutrilite diet plan,It helped me change my lifestyle and was not a fad/crash diet. One of the ways I was able to stay accountable is that I got together a group of 10 people and we committed to no cheating.  And it worked.   I just received an email from them this weekend that they are launching a new program starting March 4th.  They want me to create a team of 5 people for this contest they are running.  The contest is 90 days long and and has over 1000 prizes associated with it.  If I get a team of 5 people together and I already have 3 (including myself) then they will give us each $200 off the startup price.  The price is $249 to get started and that includes everything you need for the first 30 days and a genetic test you take to find out which body type you are so they can design a program based on your body type not on a one diet fits all.  If you are interested in doing this with me then please send me a personal email so we don't use this triathlon site for this.  my email is [email protected]  

(yes Nutrilite is an Amway corporation and I do belong to Amway, infact I'm an Emerald)  However, I need people who are not in Amway and don't want to be in Amway on my team, it's part of the rules, so I'm not looking to recruit you in my business.  Everything that is purchased has a 180 day back guarantee.

2013-02-18 5:30 PM

User image

Veteran

Been in taper mode for a week now - my marathon is next Sunday - and thank I am not sure if it is coming at a good or bad time as it seems I have struggled to stay motivated this week.

Kim - sorry for what you are dealing with in regards to your mother.  There is no quick fix and this is something that will effect you regardless of how your relationship is - we only have one mother.  Just think of it like this - every workout - however dismal is still a victory - you made the decision to get out there and do SOMETHING - you will not be sedentary.  My workout today was lousy - I had to pause the dreadmill twice because I just couldn't do what I planned to do - at first I was beating myself up - if I can't power through a 40 minute workout on a treadmill how can I run a marathon on Sunday - but then I said - no one can set my limits but me - maybe I am not ready for 10% inclines at 7.5 for 2 minutes but I bet I can do it for a minute ... and I did.  Take your victories where you can - you are capable of more than you think you are.  I will definitely take a spin class after I recover from the marathon - if you can face your fears - have issues - and then say you will go back - well then I can man up and get on a spin bike.

Mike - doubt the cop even paid you any mind - most people seem to completely disregard cyclists or go out of their way to be obnoxious (at least here in NY) ... I am however impressed with your "pre-race" ... solid times - you would wreck me in the pool right now and are much faster than me running - I'd have to be going balls out to beat you biking and that is the only area where I would be competitive.  Solid stuff!  Never heard of Nutrilite - I do the morning meal replacement with affiliatespam and have for about 2 years - helps supplement my lack of vegetables in my diet - good luck in your contest.

Andrew - sucks about your race this weekend but think of it like this - it's a sprint - you can do one of these in your sleep now - you are a half Ironman ...  

2013-02-19 6:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
Today was my first 'I'm not going to be able to do the race in June' day.  I think it's partially due to the hip pain I've had since Sunday.  It's not nearly as bad as it was, but it is preventing any good workouts on the treadmill.  I had to stop 10 minutes into my 35 minutes yesterday because the pain was so bad.  I managed 6 miles on the bike this morning, but it definitely wasn't as consistent as it should have been.  I'll be calling my chiropractor today to see if he can fit me in on Saturday morning and I'm praying that will fix everything.

2013-02-19 6:43 AM
in reply to: #4625838

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

mharvey642 - 2013-02-17 2:57 PM Beautiful day here in Texas, 65 degrees.  Of course this time of year we always have winds, so the 18mph cross winds were really fun on the bike.  I got 16 miles in at a 20mph pace and then 4 miles of running at a 7:45 pace.  So good Sunday afternoon work out.  

I've been missing Texas quite a lot lately, but especially when it's 17 and snowing here.

2013-02-19 6:54 AM
in reply to: #4626291

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

MuscleMomma - 2013-02-17 11:41 PM Noticed how whiny I've become. It's getting me back into the "I want to get out there and push the the pain" mode. I've paid up for a sprint and an oly and I'd hate to see the money wasted - if I can't pull it together. One last pity party for myself - back in the 70's I used to be the only girl in the weight room. Through the 80's I was actually told that the weight room in a gym was for men only and that I'd have to go to the ladies room where they had stationary bikes and 3lb. weights. I was always proud of how strong I was for a 5'1" woman and loved lifting. Now I feel jealous when I see all the young, healthy, strong women taking themselves seriously and lifting some nice weights. I mind because what I see in the mirror is a fat, middle aged woman who doesn't look like she could do a serious workout. I feel embarrassed and it reminds me how I can't assume I know someone by their appearance. At 53 I think I have written off other middle aged folks as boring or too mainstream. I need to remind myself that that 65 year old woman who I'd overlooked could have been dropping acid at Woodstock and be an amazingly interesting person. Have to believe I can get in shape again and be a triathlete - a good middle of the packer that my kids can be proud of! Mitzi

I feel your pain.  When I go to the gym, I feel like everyone is staring at the fat girl trying to exercise and saying to themselves that I should just give up.  But then I do my workout anyway.  I know that if I falter on my training plan, race day is going to suck.  With the stuff going on with my mom, I've lost quite a lot of my drive at the gym, but hoping that it will come back in a week or two.  So until then, I'm just plodding through and I'm going to fake it until I make it.

2013-02-19 8:15 AM
in reply to: #4627862

User image

Regular
tricupcake - 2013-02-19 6:54 AM

MuscleMomma - 2013-02-17 11:41 PM Noticed how whiny I've become. It's getting me back into the "I want to get out there and push the the pain" mode. I've paid up for a sprint and an oly and I'd hate to see the money wasted - if I can't pull it together. One last pity party for myself - back in the 70's I used to be the only girl in the weight room. Through the 80's I was actually told that the weight room in a gym was for men only and that I'd have to go to the ladies room where they had stationary bikes and 3lb. weights. I was always proud of how strong I was for a 5'1" woman and loved lifting. Now I feel jealous when I see all the young, healthy, strong women taking themselves seriously and lifting some nice weights. I mind because what I see in the mirror is a fat, middle aged woman who doesn't look like she could do a serious workout. I feel embarrassed and it reminds me how I can't assume I know someone by their appearance. At 53 I think I have written off other middle aged folks as boring or too mainstream. I need to remind myself that that 65 year old woman who I'd overlooked could have been dropping acid at Woodstock and be an amazingly interesting person. Have to believe I can get in shape again and be a triathlete - a good middle of the packer that my kids can be proud of! Mitzi

I feel your pain.  When I go to the gym, I feel like everyone is staring at the fat girl trying to exercise and saying to themselves that I should just give up.  But then I do my workout anyway.  I know that if I falter on my training plan, race day is going to suck.  With the stuff going on with my mom, I've lost quite a lot of my drive at the gym, but hoping that it will come back in a week or two.  So until then, I'm just plodding through and I'm going to fake it until I make it.

Actually everyone at the gym is saying congratulations for coming out, keep up the good work, I remember when I used to look like that, but I didn't quit and now I'm in good shape and feeling good.  Just my opinion and how I look at things, for what it's worth.
2013-02-19 8:20 AM

User image

Regular

Good workout this morning, really focused on my form, legs were a little heavy from my weight workout yesterday.

Lap Data
LapTimeDistancePace/SpeedAHRMHR
110m 00s1.21 miles08m 15s /mile155167
206m 00s0.90 miles06m 40s /mile163179
303m 00s0.23 miles12m 55s /mile122163
406m 00s0.86 miles06m 56s /mile164168
503m 00s0.24 miles12m 43s /mile126167
623m 00s2.85 miles08m 05s /mile155161
700m 11s0.01 miles18m 53s /mile148153
2013-02-19 9:04 AM
in reply to: #4627962

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland
mharvey642 - 2013-02-19 8:15 AM
tricupcake - 2013-02-19 6:54 AM

Actually everyone at the gym is saying congratulations for coming out, keep up the good work, I remember when I used to look like that, but I didn't quit and now I'm in good shape and feeling good.  Just my opinion and how I look at things, for what it's worth.

Yeah, I highly doubt anyone is looking at me thinking those things, but sometimes my mind runs away with itself

2013-02-20 2:19 PM

User image

Regular
Auckland, North Island

You're right Paul, I could do a sprint in my sleep... But it's no longer about just doing it at that distance any more. Now it's about improving my performance. 

The good thing is my entry has been transferred to another tri they run, latter in the year. So I'm not going to be out of pocket. 

A good start to the training week so far. Got to the pool twice (better than the last few weeks) but that'll be it, my pool is closed till sunday for the regional champs. Only one bike so far this week, but it was a good one, I worked hard, and all my 'hard' parts of the intervals were over 31km/hr average. And I've run every day so far. 

Also, it's only early days, but so far i'm 3/3 for tracking my food, and meeting my calorie goal. If I keep it up (last year I was over 100 days consecutive) the weight's going to melt off. 

2013-02-20 4:34 PM
in reply to: #4630343

User image

Regular
bulfrog - 2013-02-20 2:19 PM

You're right Paul, I could do a sprint in my sleep... But it's no longer about just doing it at that distance any more. Now it's about improving my performance. 

The good thing is my entry has been transferred to another tri they run, latter in the year. So I'm not going to be out of pocket. 

A good start to the training week so far. Got to the pool twice (better than the last few weeks) but that'll be it, my pool is closed till sunday for the regional champs. Only one bike so far this week, but it was a good one, I worked hard, and all my 'hard' parts of the intervals were over 31km/hr average. And I've run every day so far. 

Also, it's only early days, but so far i'm 3/3 for tracking my food, and meeting my calorie goal. If I keep it up (last year I was over 100 days consecutive) the weight's going to melt off. 

Great job Bulgrog, especially on the eating part.
2013-02-20 6:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Race directors for my marathon Sunday just emailed all and said - playing it by ear - the race is in Hyannis MA and they are either getting rain, some snow ... or destroyed this weekend ... needless to say I am tapered and anxious and this is now adding to my agitation.   Steady spin on the bike today just to keep the legs loose ... will do some drills (swimming) tomorrow and then a slow 4 miler and then nothing until Sunday ... oh boy!
2013-02-21 8:43 AM

User image

Regular

Paul, I hate the taper, worst part of any Marathon training plan, I also think the older you are the less you need to taper.  Not for recovery of muscle, but just the opposite, I've always done better with a 7-10 day taper rather than the 2-3 week taper they recommend.   That's just me personally for what it's worth.

But then for them to tell you they may not do it is brutal.  Good news is you are in shape and can pick up another one in a couple of weeks.

Workout this morning: We've had some rough weather in the mornings here, Rained about 2 inches this morning, tough to ride a bike in that.  The gym I go to does not have a spin bike so I have not been able to get out and ride this week.  Hopefully it will be better this weekednd.  So here is my Dreadmill workout from this morning.  

10m1.10 miles09m 05s/Mi142 calories

26m3.90 miles06m 40s/Mi503 calories
Avg HR: 161
10m1.26 miles07m 57s/Mi174 calories
Avg HR: 138

8:00 AM  

2013-02-21 10:02 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Paul, bummer - hope the race is on and you kick . Agree that the issue is you are ready, if not this race another is coming up.
I know that fad diets aren't really the answer, but my goal was to gain a sense of mastery over food. Just not eat, but get nourished with veggie juices, salads, soups.

I don't have much luck with sensible eating, even though I know what it means. But I'm not the 198 I was at my peak and after being 171 for a long time, I seem to be stable at 164.
Maybe I need to take a longer view. I will focus on the recording my food.

harvey - thanks for the weight loss group offer, but I'm looking for something less structured. I'm already a bit overcommited in that department.

Maybe a thread where we can post nightly about how great our day was, how we didn't eat that junk food, or take thirds because we knew we'd be posting and we've shared tips for controlling our eating that has worked for us.

Kim - It's not that I think people are judging me - it's more that I'm feeling more invisible as I get older. I feel on the sidelines when I see all the young buff folks. I judge myself negetively.
BTW, any more spin classes? The first class is the hardest, now you know how to set up and all.

Had a good workout the other day. Warmed up with an intense ab routine, did an upper body workout and then sweated on the bike for 30 mins.
Actually felt myself begin to swagger! I was feeling pretty good and proud of myself...then I caught my reflection in the mirror and there was my mom, only fatter, staring back at me.

How vain am I? Time to get down to the training, the body will follow. Damn all those mirrors - must avert my eyes...

Mitzi

2013-02-22 3:23 PM

User image

Regular

Finally got my lazy butt up and got to the pool this morning, it's my best sport and I don't know why I dread the pool workouts so much.  

30s150.00 yards01m 40s /100 yards6 calories

07m 04s500.00 yards01m 25s /100 yards91 calories

5 x 100 sprints with 60 seconds rest in between 
1:21,1:23,1:28,1:26,1:26
03m 15s200.00 yards01m 38s /100 yards42 calories

2 x 50 finger tip drag, 2 x50 free style.
03m 15s200.00 yards01m 38s /100 yards42 calories

2X50 come alongs, 2x 50 free style
02m 30s150.00 yards01m 40s /100 yards32 calories

warm up
ExerciseSetsMin repsMax repsMin Wt. (lb)Max Wt. (lb)
LEGS 2 Leg Squats32525135135
BACK Bent-Arm Pulldown325254545
LEGS Step Ups325252525
CHEST Flat Dumbell Press325254040
BACK Seated row325259595
LEGS Hamstring curl325257070
ABS Trunk Twists32525  

2013-02-22 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4632607

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

MuscleMomma - 2013-02-21 10:02 PM Kim - It's not that I think people are judging me - it's more that I'm feeling more invisible as I get older. I feel on the sidelines when I see all the young buff folks. I judge myself negetively. BTW, any more spin classes? The first class is the hardest, now you know how to set up and all. Had a good workout the other day. Warmed up with an intense ab routine, did an upper body workout and then sweated on the bike for 30 mins. Actually felt myself begin to swagger! I was feeling pretty good and proud of myself...then I caught my reflection in the mirror and there was my mom, only fatter, staring back at me. How vain am I? Time to get down to the training, the body will follow. Damn all those mirrors - must avert my eyes... Mitzi

No more spin classes until I can figure out what is going on with my hip.  It has been really bugging me since Sunday morning.  I suspect that it is due to shifting around in the seat so much.  I visit the chiropractor in the morning so hopefully all will be well at that point.

Congrats on the good workout!  I hate the mirrors also.  But, now when I walk by, all I look at is my legs because those are actually starting to shape up very nicely.  I have to avert my eyes from anything above my thighs though.  Just can't stand to look at myself right now.

2013-02-22 4:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicagoland

I signed up for a 5K on 4/10 at a church a friend of mine goes to.  Entry fee goes to provide shoes for children in Africa and South America so I couldn't really pass it up.  And the fee was only $20 so it will be the cheapest race all year.  I will do what I can to train so that I can run the whole thing, but I'm really just doing it to get the extra race experience.

Training has all but stalled due to some pretty bad hip pain.  I've only been swimming, but today I did a full 850 yards and only stopped for about a minute half-way through.  I wish I knew what was different today than other days when I struggle with swimming.  Don't get me wrong, I'm still not great, but I felt more like I was gliding through the water than doing a crude doggy paddle.  Just got to keep at it I guess.

2013-02-22 7:38 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Kim, great on the swimming - such a challenge for many triathletes.

Good for you on registering for the run.
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » TRI (Totally Radical Improvement) - Clydes/Athenas to competitors - Re-Opened Rss Feed  

of 16