BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 30

2013-02-03 10:23 PM
in reply to: #4606620

User image

Master
St. Louis
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Closed
jmholzman - 2013-02-03 2:45 PM

chmoore2 - 2013-02-03 12:40 PM

How frustrating!   I knew I would be struggling as I ramp up training after getting fat, and recovering from a broken foot but man this stinks.

I was never fast but not even 18 months ago I was able to run a 5K at a 9:55 pace, and today I ran 3+ miles at over 13 minute pace.

Couple of days ago I did Jillian Micheals Level 1 30 Day Shred with my wife (who is in fantastic shape) and thought I was going to puke at the end of it.   Man I have a long ways to go just to get back to where I was, forget improving.

I'm just venting a bit and I know I will get there again, but dang now I really feel dumb falling from wagon so hard.

The first step is the hardest, it'll get better quicker than you think.  Keep up the good work, man!

X2. You've got this. Enjoy your muscle soreness tomorrow as a sign you are improving.

2013-02-03 10:25 PM
in reply to: #4606619

User image

Master
St. Louis
chmoore2 - 2013-02-03 2:45 PM

Hey has any body here ever used this site for cycling training.

http://www.trainerroad.com/

Looks interesting, and I might give it a shot but was wondering what others thought first.

I haven't, sorry.
2013-02-03 10:28 PM
in reply to: #4606616

User image

Master
St. Louis
jmholzman - 2013-02-03 2:43 PM

I asked this question in the Gear Questions section of the site (http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=476753&posts=1&start=1) but it's not getting any action, so I'll ask here.  I've got my eye on two cycling jackets (this race in April is supposed to be freezing) from Zoot because I get a good deal on Zoot stuff.  These are the two that look like they fit what I need them for but I'm wondering what the difference between them in that justifies any price difference.  The description looks the same to me (I'm probably missing something) the only difference I see is the design...The picture looks like the drop back of the more expensive one is lower, which is nice, but the description of the drop back on both of them is the same so I'm not sure the picture is accurate.  Thoughts?

http://zootsports.com/mens/apparel/m-ultra-team-cycle-thermo-jacket-f12

http://zootsports.com/spring2010/product/m-performance-cycle-thermomegaheat-jersey-f12

Shoot them an email and ask. They should be more than happy to help. I would even describe your intended use in the email.

I recently did something similar buying a ski jacket. Too many choices so I pinged the companies online help, told them what I wanted and they steered me in the right direction and not events their most expensive jacket.
2013-02-04 4:04 PM
in reply to: #4605652

User image

Veteran
TomsTri-ing - 2013-02-02 1:43 PM

Hi Everyone,

Sorry I've been AWOL this week.  I did get some training in, actually did 3.7 miles for the first time outside.  Still run/walking but I'm liken' it!  The other news is I had 2 second interviews on Tuesday and was called back for a 3rd on Friday.  So my nerves and concentration has been on that this week.  I didn't realize I was so far behind on my H&M reading.

I like hashers, mashers, and splashers.  But what ever Sarah and Mike keep it at is fine with me. Nice photos TJ!

I appreciate all the reading on training, (still waiting for that cucumber gatorade though!)  I for one am also a non-athletic person when I was a kid, books and science. 

I haven't developed a plan, just use what I find on BT and try to stick to it.  Actually I'm a little ahead of it according to the calendar.

My main goal is I'm in it, to finish it.  And NOT get hurt doing it.  I'm too old to get hurt and I don't want to wear out the battery back-up.  LOL

Finally, I hope I will have new job by the end of next week, so thoughts and prayers are greatly welcome, and needed.

Have a great weekend.

Tom

Tom, good job on the run!

Positive Job vibes coming your way!

2013-02-04 4:07 PM
in reply to: #4606610

User image

Veteran
chmoore2 - 2013-02-03 3:40 PM

How frustrating!   I knew I would be struggling as I ramp up training after getting fat, and recovering from a broken foot but man this stinks.

I was never fast but not even 18 months ago I was able to run a 5K at a 9:55 pace, and today I ran 3+ miles at over 13 minute pace.

Couple of days ago I did Jillian Micheals Level 1 30 Day Shred with my wife (who is in fantastic shape) and thought I was going to puke at the end of it.   Man I have a long ways to go just to get back to where I was, forget improving.

I'm just venting a bit and I know I will get there again, but dang now I really feel dumb falling from wagon so hard.

You'll get there in no time.  If it makes you feel better, I count a 13 min.mile a good day

30 Day Shred is tough! I have her Body Revolution DVD's and just getting back into them, same type of workout as 30 day shred, and sore muscles are becoming norm for me.  But she gets results!

I feel your frustration ...

Yvonne

2013-02-04 4:31 PM
in reply to: #4571585

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Hi all,

Hope the training is kicking along for everyone.

My question for today is...

Does anyone know how to avoid getting nausea when exercising in the morning. Pre work is the best time for me to train but I just feel so sick that I practically can't do it most days. I assume this is diet related but does anyone have any remedies for this???

Thanks,
Chrispy

2013-02-04 6:56 PM
in reply to: #4608327

User image

Master
St. Louis
cadnams - 2013-02-04 4:31 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone know how to avoid getting nausea when exercising in the morning. Pre work is the best time for me to train but I just feel so sick that I practically can't do it most days. I assume this is diet related but does anyone have any remedies for this???

Thanks,
Chrispy

Do you exercise on an empty stomach or after breakfast? If I exercise before work, I typically do it on an empty stomach. If I want to eat before the workout, I eat an hour or two before the workout. I've experimented waking up 3 hours before a race, eating a good breakfast then going back to sleep. I've had good results going that route.
2013-02-05 2:54 AM
in reply to: #4608509

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
ransick - 2013-02-05 11:56 AM

Hi all,

Thanks,
Chrispy

Do you exercise on an empty stomach or after breakfast? If I exercise before work, I typically do it on an empty stomach. If I want to eat before the workout, I eat an hour or two before the workout. I've experimented waking up 3 hours before a race, eating a good breakfast then going back to sleep. I've had good results going that route.

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I have tried on an empty stomach, but not for ages. I've tried eating very small amounts of cereal, or fruit, before exercising. Don't know why, because undigested food can't be much use. I can't practically eat and then wait a couple of hours, unless I feel like waking at 3am every day!

I might try the empty stomach again. It would be way better for me to be able to train before work.

2013-02-05 6:48 AM
in reply to: #4608327

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS

cadnams - 2013-02-04 4:31 PM Hi all, Hope the training is kicking along for everyone. My question for today is... Does anyone know how to avoid getting nausea when exercising in the morning. Pre work is the best time for me to train but I just feel so sick that I practically can't do it most days. I assume this is diet related but does anyone have any remedies for this??? Thanks, Chrispy

Does it happen regardless of the activity? For example, is swimming worse than running, which is worse than biking? Do you ever get nausea later in the day with exercising? Have you ever had GERD (reflux)? So many questions...we'll get to the bottom of this!

2013-02-05 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4608866

User image

Veteran

cadnams - 2013-02-05 3:54 AM
cadnams - 2013-02-04 4:31 PM Hi all, Hope the training is kicking along for everyone. My question for today is... Does anyone know how to avoid getting nausea when exercising in the morning. Pre work is the best time for me to train but I just feel so sick that I practically can't do it most days. I assume this is diet related but does anyone have any remedies for this??? Thanks, Chrispy
Thanks Mike. Yeah, I have tried on an empty stomach, but not for ages. I've tried eating very small amounts of cereal, or fruit, before exercising. Don't know why, because undigested food can't be much use. I can't practically eat and then wait a couple of hours, unless I feel like waking at 3am every day! I might try the empty stomach again. It would be way better for me to be able to train before work.

I work out at 5:30am usually 5 days a week.  I always do it on an empty stomach.  That said, if you're doing a super long workout, you're going to need to eat a few hours before.  But if your schedule is like mine, super long workouts don't happen in the 5am hour before work.  I do 60 minutes max at that hour of the day and can manage without eating.  Hmmmm...I'll ask Coach Hubby and see what he thinks. 

2013-02-05 8:06 PM
in reply to: #4608866

User image

Master
St. Louis
cadnams - 2013-02-05 2:54 AM

Hi all,

Thanks,
Chrispy

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I have tried on an empty stomach, but not for ages. I've tried eating very small amounts of cereal, or fruit, before exercising. Don't know why, because undigested food can't be much use. I can't practically eat and then wait a couple of hours, unless I feel like waking at 3am every day!

I might try the empty stomach again. It would be way better for me to be able to train before work.

I wouldn't write off the 3 am wake, eat and go back to bed without trying it. I tried it at my last HIM and found it to work well without practice. It was all mental. I figured I would wake up in the middle of the night worried about the swim and the race. Set my alarm at 4 am or whatever, ate my breakfast and mysteriously was able to fall back asleep.

2013-02-05 8:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Syracuse, NY

Thanks for the boost everybody!  I was sore the next day, and am scared to get my but kicked by Jillian Micheals again, but I am hoping to continue that workout 2-3 times a week for strength training, especially my core.

Keep up the good work guys.  

2013-02-06 2:08 AM
in reply to: #4608966

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia
Sarah73 - 2013-02-05 11:48 PM

Does it happen regardless of the activity? For example, is swimming worse than running, which is worse than biking? Do you ever get nausea later in the day with exercising? Have you ever had GERD (reflux)? So many questions...we'll get to the bottom of this!

It doesnt seem to happen when riding, but it does when running, swimming, or boot camping. It seems the higher the intensity the worse it is. I never get it late in the day though.

I have potentially had reflux once before but Dr was not sure. I didn't think this was something you had that then went away???

I reckon I am open to the 3am feed, what guy wouldn't be...! I could at least try it. I have toddlers who often wake up at those hours anyway. Besides, it's a good time of the day for some peace and quiet!

2013-02-06 9:08 AM
in reply to: #4610543

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
cadnams - 2013-02-06 2:08 AM
Sarah73 - 2013-02-05 11:48 PM

It doesnt seem to happen when riding, but it does when running, swimming, or boot camping. It seems the higher the intensity the worse it is. I never get it late in the day though. I have potentially had reflux once before but Dr was not sure. I didn't think this was something you had that then went away??? I reckon I am open to the 3am feed, what guy wouldn't be...! I could at least try it. I have toddlers who often wake up at those hours anyway. Besides, it's a good time of the day for some peace and quiet!

The reason I suspected it might be reflux, is that it usually gets worse when you are lying down, so people often notice it as nausea in the morning. You might want to consider a course of a PPI (med for GERD). It can definitely get better, but tends to reoccur, especially if you drink a lot of coffee, eat spicy foods, eat too close to bedtime, etc. Just a thought.

2013-02-06 9:21 AM
in reply to: #4601319

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
Subject: RE: Hashers and Mashers - Open

February Totals:

Swim         Bike             Run            Total Time

Sarah           1350         58.50          15.57           06:26:11

Jax               1190         37.98            7.75           04:30:28 *Good all around numbers

Mike                0               0              19.00          03:24:00 

Joe               2000            0              10.00          02:25:25 

Chrispy          820          12.43           10.00          02:25:12 *Great racing times

TJ                   0            46.71              0              02:15:00 

Yvonne            0            14.00             4.01          02:11:57 

Charlie            0             21.00            3.20          02:09:00 *Keep it up Charlie- speed will come

Tom                0             24.29             0             01:30:00 

Chris               0               0                6.68          01:10:45

Kate                0               0                3.00          00:34:43

I'm not sure what happened to Batman! I think he's just not logging his workouts.

Edited by Sarah73 2013-02-06 9:22 AM
2013-02-06 12:19 PM
in reply to: #4610896

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
Sarah73 - 2013-02-06 7:21 AM

February Totals:

Ugh, not a great week for me.  Haven't had a bike since last Wednesday, and took two days off this week for the superbowl...

All my bike stuff has been received, including the pedals, cleats, and aerobars, so I'll be spending the next couple days putting it back together and hopefully will get to start back up again this weekend.

I like where my run training is going with the tempo day, sprint/interval/hill day, long day, and recovery day (although I skipped recovery day this week).  Yesterday was pace/tempo day and I did 3 miles at 7:10min/mile pace.  Faster than my goal time but I felt good.  Feel good about my running and swimming just have to get back into the most important part, the biking. 

2013-02-06 12:23 PM
in reply to: #4610543

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois

cadnams - 2013-02-06 12:08 AM

It doesnt seem to happen when riding, but it does when running, swimming, or boot camping. It seems the higher the intensity the worse it is. I never get it late in the day though. I have potentially had reflux once before but Dr was not sure. I didn't think this was something you had that then went away??? I reckon I am open to the 3am feed, what guy wouldn't be...! I could at least try it. I have toddlers who often wake up at those hours anyway. Besides, it's a good time of the day for some peace and quiet!

As long as you're experimenting, also maybe try just taking a Gu or something similar 15 minutes before your morning workout.  I don't really get an upset stomach during my morning masters at this point but more often than not it is very difficult to force myself to eat something afterwards.  But I swim like crap if I eat breakfast before hand, even if it's over an hour before.  Even though it's only an hour workout I do notice a significant difference over my performance in my morning swim if I take a Gu 15 minutes before hand vs. completely empty stomach.  Worth a shot anyways.

2013-02-06 2:01 PM

User image

New user
Melbourne, Australia

Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I don't know about the reflux one. I don't wake up feeling unwell, but I have been known to vomit (sorry!) from the exercise/nausea. I will talk to my Dr about it next time I go, thanks Sarah.

I went out for a run first thing this morning, just 4km (2.5miles). Not feeling nausea now but was only out for 20minutes. I did feel pretty weak on the run though even though I had a full day off yesterday. I might give the Gu idea a try and see if that helps, I almost did this morning.

I will give it another shot tomorrow and see how I go.

Joe, awesome news that your bike stuff has arrived. New wheels are good! Enjoy the extra training...

2013-02-06 6:34 PM

User image

Veteran

Yay!  My bike computer arrived and CH got it all set up.  It confirmed my suspicion that I ride as slow as I swim...BUT...at least I'm measuring it now so I can watch my progress!  And, hey, at least I can run fast for my size and age, right?!  1 out of 3!  haha!

2013-02-06 8:29 PM
in reply to: #4610896

User image

Master
Gurnee, IL
Sarah73 - 2013-02-06 9:21 AM

February Totals:

Sarah           1350         58.50          15.57           06:26:11

Jax               1190         37.98            7.75           04:30:28 *Good all around numbers

Mike                0               0              19.00          03:24:00 

Chrispy          820          12.43           10.00          02:25:12 *Great racing times

TJ                   0            46.71              0              02:15:00 

Yvonne            0            14.00             4.01          02:11:57 

Charlie            0             21.00            3.20          02:09:00 *Keep it up Charlie- speed will come

Tom                0             24.29             0             01:30:00 

Chris               0               0                6.68          01:10:45

Kate                0               0                3.00          00:34:43

I'm not sure what happened to Batman! I think he's just not logging his workouts.

I wish!!  I actually have not trained at all for like a week, due to fatigue, Birthday central over here, work and assorted drama.    No worries, I'll catch up to y'all.      Ok well maybe won't catch Sarah

2013-02-07 9:07 PM

Great training everybody! Keep it up!

Also, question for anyone, I have more than that 1 run logged for the past week (thurs-wed), any idea why it didn't show up in the log?

Been a busy few days + out of town + sick, but I'm feeling better and back to training. Got my longest run (8 miles) on tap for this weekend, wish me luck!

Have a great friday everyone!

2013-02-07 9:08 PM
in reply to: #4613692

User image

Veteran
Chicago, Illinois
kate2014 - 2013-02-07 7:07 PM

Also, question for anyone, I have more than that 1 run logged for the past week (thurs-wed), any idea why it didn't show up in the log?

I think it was specific to February, so it may not have included Thursday which was technically January.

2013-02-08 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
kate2014 - 2013-02-07 10:07 PM

Been a busy few days + out of town + sick, but I'm feeling better and back to training. Got my longest run (8 miles) on tap for this weekend, wish me luck!

Good luck with the 8 miler!

Jax

2013-02-08 9:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Ocean Springs, MS
kate2014 - 2013-02-07 9:07 PM

Sorry to not include your run from last Thursday, Kate. It is because it was in January, and it is MUCH easier for me to do the stats by month rather than by week.

Good luck on you long run this weekend...have fun!!

2013-02-08 3:18 PM
in reply to: #4611543

User image

Veteran

cadnams - 2013-02-06 3:01 PM
Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I don't know about the reflux one. I don't wake up feeling unwell, but I have been known to vomit (sorry!) from the exercise/nausea. I will talk to my Dr about it next time I go, thanks Sarah.

I went out for a run first thing this morning, just 4km (2.5miles). Not feeling nausea now but was only out for 20minutes. I did feel pretty weak on the run though even though I had a full day off yesterday. I might give the Gu idea a try and see if that helps, I almost did this morning.

I will give it another shot tomorrow and see how I go.

Joe, awesome news that your bike stuff has arrived. New wheels are good! Enjoy the extra training...

Hey Chris,

Sorry I'm late, this morning, I had a large glass of 1% milk, a banana, and a GU roctance.  Took about 40 minutes or so to drive to the gym, get set up, stretch, and then run.  I had running on empty, so I like at least a little something.

I haven't done a 3 am feeding since my son was 2 months old, just saying LOL

Tom

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Hashers and Mashers - Closed Rss Feed  

of 30